Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57958
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 3:52pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Any danger we'll get a forward
Posted By: Left foot
Subject: Any danger we'll get a forward
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:03pm
So it's no secret we've not seen another Robbie Keane type, you might remember those kinds of players, they put the ball in between the 2 big poles in the ground with the onion bag attached.

Ireland are crying out for such a lad but what our best shot that we'll see one soon.

Idah looks a very good player but he hasn't put the ball in the net for club or country in any meaningful way that you would say he's a threat to the opposition.

Same can be said for connolly and parrott. 

Ferguson might have something about him but he's miles off senior football at 16.

We still select Shane Long in squads but even at his peak... 

Maguire isn't going to do it it seems.

We joke with having Duffy up front but this is no longer seen as appropriate banter as hes the only one that looks to be a treat on goal. 

We've played one up front, we've played 2 and even a front 3.

Is scully a possible answer.

Replies:
Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:07pm
It'll be a while before we see someone in Robbie Keane's class emerging. 

We may have strikers emerging who are on the fringes of EPL teams, but he was different class. 

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:13pm
I wouldn't give up on Robinson translating a relatively decent ability to find the net a club level to international level yet. He's been unlucky with corona. I'd love to have seen him get a run from the start last week.

Idah there is every chance he will in time but needs to get a run of games Iat club level I feel. Parrott and Ferguson are very young still easy to forget Parrott is only 19. Scully looks a natural goalscorer will need to continue doing it when progressing through the ranks mind. Kavanagh and Mcgloughin again only kids but look really talented.

Obafemi has potentially got regular football now I'm excited to see what he can do he's well able to poach goals. There's plenty of potential time will tell can one of them become a Pukki Mitrovic Glen Murray David Healy type even. 

That would do another Robbie Keane is very hard to find! 

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:21pm
We'll probably never see another Robbie Keane. His record is up there with the greats of International football. I think we'd all be happy if we could unearth 1 or 2 players like peak Walters, Long or Doyle who would score maybe 1 in every 4. We don't even have anything near that.

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:25pm
Agreed that the current options are limited, but when the 2024 Euros kick off, Robinson will be 29 and hopefully at his peak - I reckon he's PL quality. There are also a load of young hopefuls coming through - Connolly and Obafemi (if he can be lured back in to the fold) will be 24, Idah 23, Parrott 22. If Scully continues to bang them in, he deserves a look in, he will be 25. Way too early to confidently predict how Ferguson will progress but he will be just 19. Who knows what will happen with Odubeko, he might have a change of heart, he will be just 21.

Idah's hold up play is excellent for one so young and Connolly, despite the recent ott (imo) criticism always causes defences problems any time I see him play. Both need regular football, but they both have something about them. The future is bright imo.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:28pm
We should call this thread "Striker watch". We are desperate and all leads should be posted in here. Ferguson seems the most promising striker of potential top class but still way off

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

We should call this thread "Striker watch". We are desperate and all leads should be posted in here. Ferguson seems the most promising striker of potential top class but still way off

Idah, Connolly and Parrott looked unreal at that level too but its a massive step up to first team football, particularly at Premier League and Championship level. 

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 3:19pm
Just as big an issue I feel is not having a playmaker to create chances for said striker to score.

Yeah Idah doesn't get into the box often to get on the end of chances, but it's probably because he's dropping off to link up.

Think our two best chances of scoring in Slovakia was because of McGoldrick dropping off the ball, drawing some defenders in which created gaps.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Just as big an issue I feel is not having a playmaker to create chances for said striker to score.

Yeah Idah doesn't get into the box often to get on the end of chances, but it's probably because he's dropping off to link up.

Think our two best chances of scoring in Slovakia was because of McGoldrick dropping off the ball, drawing some defenders in which created gaps.

Yeah very true. He was so effective dropping deep, Wes-like at times or in former times even people like Andy Reid showed promise in that position and would be great if we had someone with that kind of control and vision. We don't really have anyone like that. Robbie Brady if he could get himself fit has a potential to 'do a job' but he looks like he can't achieve getting fully over his injuries 

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 3:34pm
Robbie is the 4th all time European International goalscorer. Only Ronaldo, Klose and Lewondowski have scored more EVER. More than Zlatan, Rooney, Henry, Van Persie etc. Likelihood of getting someone with his record isn't happening. 

Someone who could get 20 goals in a career would be a success in reality. At the moment we've 3 hopes, Idah, Parrott and Connolly. A year ago I'd have thrown Obafemi in there too. Really if we can get 10 years with 3 goals a year out of one them it'd be a success by international standards.

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 3:36pm
Robinson has potential to be effective for us. In regards the younger guys Idah and Parrott need to get some quality game time at club level and push on, Idah especially has real potential but not convinced he is ready yet. I hope Obafemi pushes on at Swansea and if Connolly can get his head right he can become a good player. Parrot hopefully will replicate Harry Kane as he is very one paced but with experience here is hoping his footballing brain is quality.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 4:47pm
I wonder who will be our next forward to break 10+ goals in the PL or 20+ goals in the Championship? If Robinson stayed fit he could arguably get close for West Brom this season considering he has 3 already and they will likely be up there challenging. Between Idah, Parrott, Connolly and Obafemi you'd hope at least one or two of them will hit that level, although it won't be this season anyway and I wouldn't be betting on next season either.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 5:19pm
Id like to see us get another David Connolly type. Was he a little underrated for us? Very decent finisher. Him and Quinn worked well. Easier said than done but as much as i would prefer homegrown players we may need a grannny ruler player to tide us over until our potential players flourish. Another Aldo.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

I wonder who will be our next forward to break 10+ goals in the PL or 20+ goals in the Championship? If Robinson stayed fit he could arguably get close for West Brom this season considering he has 3 already and they will likely be up there challenging. Between Idah, Parrott, Connolly and Obafemi you'd hope at least one or two of them will hit that level, although it won't be this season anyway and I wouldn't be betting on next season either.

Parrott will hopefully hit 10 plus in League 1 admittedly! Scully is surely on for a big number too! The other 3 probably not will be interesting to see what Obafemi can do with a full season of games could get 10 plus! 4 in 28 in his first full PL season as a teen tells me he could dropping down a level hit 10 goals. Patience is definitely needed with them anyways. 

Really Robinson should be starting for us when fit. Hopefully he stays fit now!

Posted By: counterlock
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 5:23pm
I hope Obafemi will be able to stay to fit for the season with Swansea. He should get plenty of game time with his pace as part of the front 3 there. I'd be worried about his ability to stay fit but his pace is frightening

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 5:37pm
Robinson for sure and Obafemi are the two most likely to step up. Obafemi is the one that could surprise us all.

Idah and Connolly suffer from been in the Premier League and will get very little game time, Parrott is still a bit too young.  

That's five good potential strikers, you would expect 2 will go onto have decent Ireland careers and maybe one of those a very good one. 

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 8:02pm
Mipo is another one that could hit the ground running in the Championship

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 8:15pm
This country has been nothing short of a desert in terms of producing strikers.  In say the last 60 years who have we poduced from this island?

Don Givens
Frank Stepleton
Niall Quinn
Robbie Keane

Sidenote for Kevin Doyle

Embarrassing lack of decent strikers

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Id like to see us get another David Connolly type. Was he a little underrated for us? Very decent finisher. Him and Quinn worked well. Easier said than done but as much as i would prefer homegrown players we may need a grannny ruler player to tide us over until our potential players flourish. Another Aldo.
Yeah if ya got one of hi, Shane Long etc standard every few years you could work with it. You can see what a player like Mitrovic does to lift a team

Posted By: hulkhogan
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

This country has been nothing short of a desert in terms of producing strikers.  In say the last 60 years who have we poduced from this island?

Don Givens
Frank Stepleton
Niall Quinn
Robbie Keane

Sidenote for Kevin Doyle

Embarrassing lack of decent strikers

Shane long deserves a shout here too

-------------
Whacha gonna do

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Fu*k him

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 7:04am
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Fu*k him
That's the spirit. 

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 7:41am
LOL

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

So it's no secret we've not seen another Robbie Keane type, you might remember those kinds of players, they put the ball in between the 2 big poles in the ground with the onion bag attached.

Ireland are crying out for such a lad but what our best shot that we'll see one soon.

Idah looks a very good player but he hasn't put the ball in the net for club or country in any meaningful way that you would say he's a threat to the opposition.

Same can be said for connolly and parrott. 

Ferguson might have something about him but he's miles off senior football at 16.

We still select Shane Long in squads but even at his peak... 

Maguire isn't going to do it it seems.

We joke with having Duffy up front but this is no longer seen as appropriate banter as hes the only one that looks to be a treat on goal. 

We've played one up front, we've played 2 and even a front 3.

Is scully a possible answer.

Think the jump up from Leinster league could prove too much for big Dave

-------------
No Pasaran!

Posted By: SC92
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 9:46am
Like has been said there is no real chance we get another Robbie Keane type.
Hopefully with our new wave of attacking talent we can get goals from several players even if if there isn't one sole goalscorer. At the moment only our centre backs look like scoring some goals from our wing backs and midfield and yes our forwards would be nice.

Unfortunately most of them seem goal shy right now.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 11:16am
Robbie Keane was a one off. His goalscoring record is over 3 times better than the 2nd,3rd and 4th top scorers combined. If we even had someone who got to 20 or so again that would be an outstanding return for us. Even Shane Long who is on 17 I think and Walters who ended on 14 gave us great moments and helped us pick up much needed points.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Fu*k him
That's the spirit. 
LOLLOL

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 11:54am

He easily could be I just left him out as until otherwise proven he doesn't seem that interested in playing for us.

Posted By: Heimatklange
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Robbie Keane was a one off. His goalscoring record is over 3 times better than the 2nd,3rd and 4th top scorers combined. If we even had someone who got to 20 or so again that would be an outstanding return for us. Even Shane Long who is on 17 I think and Walters who ended on 14 gave us great moments and helped us pick up much needed points.
Confident Parrott will get to the 20 mark, such a good player and has 15 years ahead of him

Posted By: geansaí
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:23pm

Robbie Keane was a one off. His goalscoring record is over 3 times better than the 2nd,3rd and 4th top scorers combined.

He scored over 180 goals for Ireland??Confused

Keane was obviously our best ever goalscorer but he also played twice as much as most other players, his longevity is the biggest factor to there being such a gap between him and everybody else.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

He easily could be I just left him out as until otherwise proven he doesn't seem that interested in playing for us.

But you mentioned Obafemi, hes in the same position as Mipo having also turned down u21 call ups by Crawford.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 2:21pm

But you mentioned Obafemi, hes in the same position as Mipo having also turned down u21 call ups by Crawford.

He has but Obafemi has been capped for the senior side etc! He's a lot less likely to defect. Odubeko has shown no interest at frankly any stage!

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 2:29pm

He has but Obafemi has been capped for the senior side etc! He's a lot less likely to defect. Odubeko has shown no interest at frankly any stage!

That was a 10 minute cameo 3 years ago now. Hes scrubbed every reference of Ireland since from his social media accounts and removed all Ireland pics. Doesn't follow the FAI anymore ..and as I said hes recently rejected u21 call ups.

I dont think theres much of a chance of defecting though because he'd be way down the pecking order for both Nigeria and England but he might not be all that arsed playing Internationally for anyone.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 2:32pm

LOL

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by geansaí geansaí wrote:

Robbie Keane was a one off. His goalscoring record is over 3 times better than the 2nd,3rd and 4th top scorers combined.

He scored over 180 goals for Ireland??Confused

Keane was obviously our best ever goalscorer but he also played twice as much as most other players, his longevity is the biggest factor to there being such a gap between him and everybody else.

Lol not my finest moment. 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net