Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57924
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 3:24pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Laser Eye Surgery
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: Laser Eye Surgery
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 12:37am
Any of you cats ever get this done?  I'm blind as a bat in my right eye.  Anything not up close is blurry.
Tried to get contacts but kept flinching when I tried to put them in.  Getting sick of not being able to see distant stuff.

Is it risky or safe and how long are you out of action etc?

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 12:47am
I'm thinking about similar. Don't like wearing glasses in public and contacts are a pain in the hole at times and also 22 euro a month. 
Anyone I know who got it have been happy. Seems to be cheaper than ever too 

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 6:58am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Any of you cats ever get this done?  I'm blind as a bat in my right eye.  Anything not up close is blurry.
Tried to get contacts but kept flinching when I tried to put them in.  Getting sick of not being able to see distant stuff.

Is it risky or safe and how long are you out of action etc?

Will be looking at getting laser eye in the next couple of years. I think it's come on a huge amount in terms of the downtime after the surgery, recovery is meant to be very quick.

Keep going with the contacts. I had the same hassle initially, but you get used to it. I went from hating anything near my eyes to be able to put them in and out fairly easily in a short amount of time.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 10:11am
Got it done 12 or 13 years ago and money well spent.   Went with Optilase on Ely place. You can get tax back but it's only at the lower rate regardless of what rate you are on.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 10:48am
Has yours regressed much over the years Baldie or do you still have close to 20/20?

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 11:22am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Has yours regressed much over the years Baldie or do you still have close to 20/20?

I havent noticed any issues or regression.   However I.never buy a round and I am a pedantic ****..  Not sure if they are connected to the surgery.  

I would highly recommended it and not risky at all.  It's a standard quick surgery esp if you have a thick cornea which luckily I did.   Best thing is to get the free assessment and see can you get the surgery in the first place. Not everyone can.  Day of surgery you come home and have a sleep.and right as rain the next day.   Swimming and impact sports are off for a few weeks but that's about it..  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 11:34am
Mate of mine got it with Optical express a couple of years ago and his has been a nightmare so of course it has it’s risks.

He says he wakes up a lot of morning’s in agony.

Posted By: Jock
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 3:02pm
Went for the free assessment a few years ago, they told me my eyes werent weak enough to get it done. My old fella went for the same assessment and his were deemed too weak. Considering going back for another, as I feel my eyes have got a fair bit worse in the meantime. 

A colleague got it done, he said his eyes regressed after about 15 years of getting it done and he now is back to wearing glasses a fair bit, which has put some doubt in my mind. However the procedure may have improved since then. 

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

Went for the free assessment a few years ago, they told me my eyes werent weak enough to get it done. My old fella went for the same assessment and his were deemed too weak. Considering going back for another, as I feel my eyes have got a fair bit worse in the meantime. 

A colleague got it done, he said his eyes regressed after about 15 years of getting it done and he now is back to wearing glasses a fair bit, which has put some doubt in my mind. However the procedure may have improved since then. 

If I start regressing in a few years I will look into getting it done again.  That should do me then until I need glasses for reading. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 4:10pm
Had it done 10-12 years ago. Best thing I ever did

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: KING-CON
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 4:49pm
I nearly got it done in London a few years back. Had the consultation but put it off in the end because I thought my private health insurance covered some of it and it didn’t. I met a doctor that does it as a profession after that and he said he’d always recommend waiting until you’re over 40 to get it done. 39 now so might look at it again in the next few years. I don’t like contacts. 

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Likewise, 10 years this year. Was worth ever penny.

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 7:31pm
!0 years plus now- agree with whats been said already - the best money I ever spent

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 9:08pm
How much is it these days?  They seem coy about giving you a price until you go for a consultation

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 10:14pm

How much is it these days?  They seem coy about giving you a price until you go for a consultation

There's lots of variables. Depends on your prescription, cornea - all sorts. Back when I did it, there were options on type of incision, mechanical or laser that impacted it ( mechanical was cheaper, but they didn't recommend contact sports so not a runner for me)  back then to shape of your eyeball. My bother had it done somewhat against advice with astigmatism. His was a long slow recovery with results which reverted in the last 10 years but still ok. He had to get Lasek - which is the worst sort- a week in a dark room after with significant pain

In the UK , Lasik, the one that I had, 3 Grand these days? 5 or 6K EUR in ROI probably - others better placed to comment

Basically, painless surgery ( you smell the burning a touch )  go home that day, sleep, perfect vision the next day and off you go. 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 10:17pm
The big thing for me was the type of vison.  I wore contacts, sometimes glasses. The difference I had between contacts and post laser vision was like the difference between old analogue telly and Sky HD. It was unreal. Being able to count sheep on a mountain a couple of mile away whereas it'd all be a blur after. Life changing stuff really. 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

There's lots of variables. Depends on your prescription, cornea - all sorts. Back when I did it, there were options on type of incision, mechanical or laser that impacted it ( mechanical was cheaper, but they didn't recommend contact sports so not a runner for me)  back then to shape of your eyeball. My bother had it done somewhat against advice with astigmatism. His was a long slow recovery with results which reverted in the last 10 years but still ok. He had to get Lasek - which is the worst sort- a week in a dark room after with significant pain

In the UK , Lasik, the one that I had, 3 Grand these days? 5 or 6K EUR in ROI probably - others better placed to comment

Basically, painless surgery ( you smell the burning a touch )  go home that day, sleep, perfect vision the next day and off you go. 

Is Lasek and Lasik different or is that a typo?

My concerns would be pain, blinding me permanently by cocking it up, or having some halos appearing etc...

BTW can they use laser surgery to get rid of floaters?  Them black things that you see when you say look at a white ceiling.  They do my head in as well.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 10:42pm

Is Lasek and Lasik different or is that a typo?

My concerns would be pain, blinding me permanently by cocking it up, or having some halos appearing etc...

BTW can they use laser surgery to get rid of floaters?  Them black things that you see when you say look at a white ceiling.  They do my head in as well.

No, its two differnent methods depending on what your eye is like. Lasek, is horrible. Only option for certain eye types. Basically a laser burns away parts of your eye and its a bit of an ordeal. Its mostly a thing a the past for for certain eye types.

lasik, which most people are grand for, a flap in the ye is cut, they blast the back of your eye for a in or two, its all grand and youre done in half an hour.

Its pretty much 1 in  a billion of f**k ups as far as i know. Better chance of being hit by lightening. Go in and ask about a free quote and ask all the questions. Floaters, nah, still happen im afraid. Halo's - depends on type you get I think but never an issue for me

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 10:42pm

The big thing for me was the type of vison.  I wore contacts, sometimes glasses. The difference I had between contacts and post laser vision was like the difference between old analogue telly and Sky HD. It was unreal. Being able to count sheep on a mountain a couple of mile away whereas it'd all be a blur after. Life changing stuff really. 
Always on the prowl 

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Always on the prowl 

Its a serious skill the part of the world im from. that or a wank basically. 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

I got it done about 12 years ago as soon as I needed glasses. 
The doc said I would need to go back later to get it done again but I’m still good. Would definitely recommend it. 
No hassle at all. I got it done on a Friday and was back at work on the Monday. 

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

I got it done about 12 years ago as soon as I needed glasses. 
The doc said I would need to go back later to get it done again but I’m still good. Would definitely recommend it. 
No hassle at all. I got it done on a Friday and was back at work on the Monday. 

Said similar to me. I think he said when I hit 30 I might need it again but i'm 32 now, yes the eyesight is not as strong as it was but nowhere near needing to get it done again.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 9:23pm
How much is it to get the surgery?

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Optilase rang me.  Couldn't get a proper quote off them.  They kept saying it depends on your eyes etc..  Anyway I asked for a ball park and I think you can get both eyes done for around 4000 or less.

She told me to go away and get an eye test and bring my prescription to them.  I was surprised at that.  I thought they would be testing your eyes an examining them and then tell you you need xyz etc. 

So next step is going to get an eye test in Specsavers.   I asked them about laser eye surgery before and they seem set against it.  Loss is custom I suppose although they would not admit that.

-------------

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 12:06pm

Optilase rang me.  Couldn't get a proper quote off them.  They kept saying it depends on your eyes etc..  Anyway I asked for a ball park and I think you can get both eyes done for around 4000 or less.

She told me to go away and get an eye test and bring my prescription to them.  I was surprised at that.  I thought they would be testing your eyes an examining them and then tell you you need xyz etc. 

So next step is going to get an eye test in Specsavers.   I asked them about laser eye surgery before and they seem set against it.  Loss is custom I suppose although they would not admit that.

Do you wear gregorys?

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Do you wear gregorys?

No.  I do have a pair I got 5 years ago but never wear them.  Haven't a scoobie what prescription they are.  Yer wan on the phone said to get another test anyway as it has been a few years.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 12:17pm

Do you wear gregorys?

No.  I do have a pair I got 5 years ago but never wear them.  Haven't a scoobie what prescription they are.  Yer wan on the phone said to get another test anyway as it has been a few years.

Why wouldnt you just wear a pair of gregorys? A new look Cool

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 12:19pm

Do you wear gregorys?

Don't like em Jeff.  Summink bout them.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 12:20pm

Do you wear gregorys?

Don't like em Jeff.  Summink bout them.

Here we go LOL

What is it about them?

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 12:25pm
They're a nuisance.  Can't play sport in them or anyfink.  Gives me the right hump.

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 11:38am
Had it done in 2013 at Mater Private. Was 1600 per eye, but with 20% tax back, membership of a medical scheme and Union optical scheme, my net was a fraction of the full cost.

The aftercare in Mater was outstanding. As for pain, when the protective lens was removed after a week it was f**king agony but next day was right as rain. I recommend it highly TJ. Have needed reading glasses the past 12 months but was advised of that likelihood before the surgery. In day to day life, my sight is still brilliant with no after effects whatsoever.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 11:42am
and loads need reading glasses even if they don’t get surgery and often have two sets of glasses esp when they hit their 50s

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 1:56pm
Finally got round to having a consultation yesterday.  Apparently my eyes are too dry at the moment to have the surgery so have to start a 3 week course of treatment to see if that helps. If not I cant have surgery.

Cost was told would be 3850 bunts.  

She told me a few things that are making me slightly hesitant to go ahead if given the green light.

She said I might be sensitive to light and my depth perception may feel different.  Also I dont want any long term pain or halos.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 2:21pm
My mother had the same issue and thats some years ago. She went ahead with and hasn’t eh looked back. Theres potentials with everything

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 3:42pm

My mother had the same issue and thats some years ago. She went ahead with and hasn’t eh looked back. Theres potentials with everything
Glad she sorted her lazy eye.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 6:45pm
My girlfried is considering getting this done, keep us updated Trap J on your opThumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 9:05am

My girlfried is considering getting this done, keep us updated Trap J on your opThumbs Up
I would say she will be in for a bit of a shock when she sees what you really look like Tongue

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 2:22pm
I had laser eye surgery on Saturday morning just gone.
Absolutely delighted with my resultant vision. 
I've been wearing glasses/contact lens for 24 years.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 2:56pm
I'm going for consultation this Friday. Quoted already that it would cost 3800 based on my prescription (providing I'm a suitable candidate).

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I would say she will be in for a bit of a shock when she sees what you really look like Tongue

Cry

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 3:33pm
LOL

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 4:58pm
Just waiting on a date/time for a consultation with Optilase. Just reading back I see Baldie went with these and was very happy. Anybody else use them in the last year or so? 

Also on the price, I see it depends on your prescription, I’m assuming its more expensive the stronger goggles you need? Or is there some other kind of science behind it does anyone know?

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 11:33am

Just waiting on a date/time for a consultation with Optilase. Just reading back I see Baldie went with these and was very happy. Anybody else use them in the last year or so? 

Also on the price, I see it depends on your prescription, I’m assuming its more expensive the stronger goggles you need? Or is there some other kind of science behind it does anyone know?

Prescription will have some bearing on the cost but gets pricier with things like astigmatism or other issues. Also, be very wary of it if your prescription changes or is unsettled. 

Think I said earlier in the thread, the best money I ever spent. Without a doubt 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 12:32pm
Had a call back a short while ago from Optilase and booked in for end of October for a donsultation but, apparently based on what I told them over the phone about my prescription and glasses use, im not suitable for the standard laser. Instead im suitable for the vastly more expensive lens replacement treatment. 

Got pff the phone and immediatelybooked in with Optical Express for next week so will have two consultations before deciding. Mate of mine was with OE about 6 months ago and had a great experience, well as great as it could be going under a laser to the eyes.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 1:43pm

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 3:24pm
I went with Optical Express. No complaints at all.

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2023 at 9:58am

Had a call back a short while ago from Optilase and booked in for end of October for a donsultation but, apparently based on what I told them over the phone about my prescription and glasses use, im not suitable for the standard laser. Instead im suitable for the vastly more expensive lens replacement treatment. 

Got pff the phone and immediatelybooked in with Optical Express for next week so will have two consultations before deciding. Mate of mine was with OE about 6 months ago and had a great experience, well as great as it could be going under a laser to the eyes.

you lucky son of a bitch Clap

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2023 at 10:21am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

you lucky son of a bitch Clap
LOL

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net