Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57921
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 11:58am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Joel Bagan
Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Subject: Joel Bagan
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 3:10pm
Looks like 19 year-old Cardiff left-back, Joel Bagan, will be declaring for us. Made his first-team debut for Cardiff last season just after he turned 18 and made 7 league appearances for Cardiff.  Mick seems to like him.  He's started as left wing-back in Cardiff's first game of the season.

Started his career at the Southampton Academy before Cardiff stepped in.  Had a few months on loan at Notts County at 17 years old where he got a taste of senior first-team football.

Has three youth (u16) caps for Scotland, but born in England. Qualifies for us through both his grandparents on his mother's side (Cork and Kerry). 

His younger brother, Sam Bagan, a right back at QPR, has just been called up to our U19 training camp. 

Will hopefully be an inclusion in our next U21 squad, or - given injury and selection concerns respectively for Stevens and McClean - could be a bet for senior inclusion if he continues to hold his place in the Cardiff league 11.  

Developing well at Cardiff under Mick, where our young centre-half Mark McGuinness is getting game-time with James Collins up-front.  

Could be a fantastic addition as we don't have too many young left-backs coming through with his level of experience.  

Replies:
Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 4:01pm
The line that he looks set to declare for us has been going around a while.
Has anything more concrete come out in recent days?

Or we just hopeful he will be in a squad in a few weeks?

Certainly a positive is he is included, as you say.

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 4:44pm
No, and you'd imagine that if he's actually declared for us and any switch was formalised then we'd know about it already.

His ma definitely would've had it all over her twitter if he officially switched to us.

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

No, and you'd imagine that if he's actually declared for us and any switch was formalised then we'd know about it already.

His ma definitely would've had it all over her twitter if he officially switched to us.

He was formalising it around the time his shoulder injury struck. It is being presumptuous. As for his mother on Twitter I don’t know she didn’t exactly announce that Sam Bagan was after declaring either just retweeted the call up so wouldn’t read too much into that. 

I’d be hopeful he still is especially when the younger brother has done so recently too on top of Joel himself intending on it until injury struck a few months ago. 

As stated Stevens Manning McClean for wing back and possibly Scales aside we are very light at LB so it would be nice to have another young left back on board playing at a decent level  

With Stevens injured you could make a case for him being in the senior squad even by default with the lack of depth. 

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 6:38pm
I'm sure Scotland will be devastated if he declares for us.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I'm sure Scotland will be devastated if he declares for us.

LOL Yes, it's rough when you're two best players are left backs 

. . . or even right backs, when switched back on us.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 4:56pm
Good news on a day where the paper-thin nature of our squad is exposed once more.
And a great additio to the 21's.  I assume this is why JC meant when he said some surprises.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Good news on a day where the paper-thin nature of our squad is exposed once more.
And a great additio to the 21's.  I assume this is why JC meant when he said some surprises.

Here's the article! Also anyone know the status of Dolan at Blackburn? Wonder is he eligible! https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mick-mccarthy-reveals-delight-cardiff-21408524.amp?__twitter_impression=true" rel="nofollow - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mick-mccarthy-reveals-delight-cardiff-21408524.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Will be a pretty interesting squad alright! Bagan and Oko Flex were the two I wanted to see if they were with us! Oko Flex is the other guy I want to see as I still wonder is he with us id have question marks! 

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 5:04pm

When you look at the u21s, they are clearly more competitive facing other u21s when you go toe to toe. It's been like that for a few years now

Just a waiting game to see more of the benefits into the seniors. 

Oshea, bazunu and knight are good improvements already 

Parrott, idah and molumby are on the peripheries.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 6:55pm
Joel Bagan included in our U21 squad!  Big smile

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mick-mccarthy-reveals-delight-cardiff-21408524 

Apparently declared a few days ago: 

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/scotland/joel-bagan-switches-international-allegiances-from-scotland-to-republic-of-ireland/

Great to see!

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Joel Bagan included in our U21 squad!  Big smile

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mick-mccarthy-reveals-delight-cardiff-21408524 

Apparently declared a few days ago: 

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/scotland/joel-bagan-switches-international-allegiances-from-scotland-to-republic-of-ireland/

Great to see!

Ah, theres now 2 JB threads.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 7:07pm
My bad I created the 2nd one didn't realise this existed! If anyone wants to delete mine fire away we can use this (I can't delete any thread can I)? 

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

My bad I created the 2nd one didn't realise this existed! If anyone wants to delete mine fire away we can use this (I can't delete any thread can I)? 

Think it's an automatic ban Kev.

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 9:54pm
Definitely a good addition in a position where we don't have a huge amount of talent coming through compared to other parts of the team. He's first choice for Cardiff at the moment, although getting a bit of stick from the support who think he's been promoted too soon, but it's great experience at a high level given his age all the same.

Looking at our other left back options at under 21 level he should go straight into the first 11. Will Ferry was played out of position back there during the summer games and Crawford didn't seem to have much faith in Shane Flynn.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 7:33pm
Seen him today for Cardiff he played very well! They were woefully devoid of pace but Bagan was the exception to that. 

He's good on the ball too from what I saw today. Hopefully himself Manning etc can start getting more of a look in during the next year or so. My one worry with Kenny is he seems to be quite married to McClean who is blatantly not suited to the way he's trying to play and isn't a LWB to begin with.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:24pm
How does he qualify for us?

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Is it a parent? Not sure, he played in out last u21 game anyway so they've already sized up his kit and he's played in it.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:39pm
Must keep an eye out for him. See how he gets on.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Is it a parent? Not sure, he played in out last u21 game anyway so they've already sized up his kit and he's played in it.

Both grandparents on his mothers sides are from Cork/Kerry.

Good chance he sticks with us, his brother Sam is a RB and has been with our u19s.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:57pm
He's a granny ruler, but I'd expect him to stick around. Has played competitively for our Under 21s now so can only play for another country at senior level, can't move to another team at Under 21s.

Unfortunately his Scotland appearances weren't in competitive games, if they were he would be tied to us now.

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 6:37pm
Great to see a 19yo starting left back in the Championship declare for us. I wonder how much of that is down to Robbo and Tierney Smile Anyway, we'll happily welcome him on board and hopefully Mick and James Collins can convince both himself and young McGuinness to commit.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:49pm
Joel Bagan 5

Still feeling his way into things. A difficult start for him at both ends of the pitch, but grew into it.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mixed-bag-cardiff-city-player-21549749" rel="nofollow - http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mixed-bag-cardiff-city-player-21549749

I was expecting a 7 or 8 out of 10 performance from the hyping going on here.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:58pm
Hype? One poster said that they thought he played very well. Christ. Above. If that qualifies as hype ...

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 10:04pm
Knew I'd get another bite from The O'Shea with that one. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Greenie50
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 9:32pm
Scored his first senior goal today, for Cardiff vs Millwall.

Posted By: pateen
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 2:06pm
Great to hear

-------------
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 9:16pm
Just pinged one in with his weaker right foot against Coventry. Lovely goal.

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 11:08pm
MOTM tonight. Certainly looks a bright prospect.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 12:11am
Dropped off for a biteen but seems to be back in the frame again for Cardiff.
Long may it continue 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

So how far is Bagan from a senior call up, after coming back from a shoulder injury he's played 90mins in their last 3 games and scored 2 goals (I appreciate left backs are not measured on goals scored) 

Hes played 90mins in the championship on 12 occasions and been injured for 9 games. I'm not suggesting starting 11 but for the senior squad.

Enda Stevens is 32 in July and hasn't been in the Sheffield squad for the last 6 games... I think due to injury. And hasnt played 90 mins for the last 8 games.

Mcclean is 33 in April and really isn't good at left wing back costing us goals against Portugal and Andorra 

Doherty isn't playing very much and despite being young he's also the wrong side of 30. 

I don't think we have a lot of good options here, maybe Manning. Bagan is 20 and seems to be getting better and better defensively and going forward.

Don't think he's a million miles away I think he's a lot of potential our best random recruit through the granny rule in a few years. Few injuries to options in front of him or if he keeps developing maybe a year or two away from caps. Looks clear first choice for the 21s. McClean Stevens Scales Manning and I'm not sure Kenny is sold on Manning Bagan probably 5th. 

You mention aging full backs this time last year we were wondering where our replacement wing backs were going to come from McNamara at Millwall only possible argument. Very few youngsters.

Now Ebosele Kioso Ogbene are all flying along at the right side and you have Scales Bagan declaring and Adaramola looking a real prospect at Palace on the Left side. Multiple younger options with the potential to play at a high level (Championship or top flight football) coming through when the 4 senior lads all 30 or older eventually step aside. 

Something to keep in mind too we lament our attacking players or lack of. When the majority of options you have is potential under the age of 23/24 like us it's to be kept in mind a lot can change in a year or two.

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 1:22pm
I assume Scales is another. He's already been called up so maybe he's next in.line. 

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I assume Scales is another. He's already been called up so maybe he's next in.line. 

I'd like to see Scales get a start in a friendly certainly this year. Doing well at Celtic but the 3 times I have seen him he drops off a bit late on in games. Celtic play a high energy style reckon with a full Postecoglu type pre season under his belt to bring his fitness up he could kick on again. 

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 1:41pm
I think Bagan has a bit to go yet to get a senior call up. Unless he's playing unbelievably well I'd be happy to leave him with the Under 21s and to develop at club level for this campaign and give Manning a chance to see what he can do alongside the older crop - Stevens, Doherty, McClean. Scales also comes into it if he can nail down the first team spot at Celtic (though less so if he's not getting picked ahead of Greg Taylor).

If Bagan nails down a first team place at Cardiff from now into next season and continues to do well I'd maybe look at him for a senior call up then.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 2:55pm
Mick McCarthy rated Bagan highly when he managed Cardiff and recommended him to Jim Crawford for the under-21s. I watched the Cardiff v Coventry game last night and he was outstanding. His younger brother Sam at QPR, also a left back, is doing well too at the moment and was called up to an Ireland under-18 training camp last year.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 4:06pm
Isn't Manning now playing as a CH in a 3-at-the-back for Swansea?

I'd like to see us trial out some players in that LWB role in March and would be happy to see Manning, Scales or Bagan get decent minutes, especially in the 2nd match.

I'd say Manning is some ways ahead of the other two and will be in the squad, but be interesting to see if SK calls up one of the others as cover.  I don't think we need to be playing McClean in these friendlies.

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 4:17pm
Agree that left back is a position we need to try out new blood in the upcoming friendlies. Manning, Scales and Bagan probably the 3 contenders. I don't know much about Bagan apart from watching him in a couple of the 21s games where he was average to below average on those occasions. I would personally have Scales as the one I think who could make the position his own. Very intelligent player who picks up great positions in an attacking sense, comfortable on the ball, can pass and shoot, but also a very calm and elegant defender who is equally comfortable at centre back. 

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 5:44pm

Isn't Manning now playing as a CH in a 3-at-the-back for Swansea?

I'd like to see us trial out some players in that LWB role in March and would be happy to see Manning, Scales or Bagan get decent minutes, especially in the 2nd match.

I'd say Manning is some ways ahead of the other two and will be in the squad, but be interesting to see if SK calls up one of the others as cover.  I don't think we need to be playing McClean in these friendlies.

Yeah he's mostly played at CB this season for Swansea and they did move him back out to LWB for a few games but moved him back to CB again because defensively they were poorer without him in the back three.

I'd say the move to CB this season is a good thing for him because it's something Kenny mentioned when asked about CBs. He referenced the fact Stevens, Manning, and might have mentioned Scales can play LWB or LCB, and Doherty who filled in at CB against Wales last year.

Think it might have been when we named four CBs in October and Coleman was out injured. It's probably a big reason why Manning is making squads that he offers cover at LCB.

Posted By: SC92
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 4:15pm
Another goal!

Call him up he seems our best finisher already! 😄 

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 4:18pm
3 in 3! Just stick him up front LOL

Posted By: KING-CON
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 1:09am
Joel Bagan - a young left back born in England, played underage for Scotland and presently plays his football in Wales is now our most in-form goal scorer. What a time to be alive! 

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 5:09pm
Didn't start today but came on as sub and assisted Cardiff's first goal in their 2-1 win over QPR

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 5:36pm
Maybe someone that watches Cardiff regularly will fill me in but it's astonishing he even got dropped to the bench today considering the form he's in..

Has savage attacking output one of his goals a few weeks ago he showed genuine poachers instinct in how he managed to put himself in a position in the box. A few weeks ago I said he's arguably 4th/5th in the LWB pecking order and a year or two off a senior squad place now I wouldn't remotely mind him being called up. Stevens is missing (injured I presume) Manning is playing CB for Swansea Scales out the Celtic squad. 

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 6:04pm
Harry Arter, Obafemi, Red China, Johnny Kenny
Big Mick, Walters, Joe DiMaggio
James McCarthy, Terry Dixon, Studebaker, television
North Korea, South Korea, Glen Crowe
Rosenbergs, H-bomb, Sugar Ray Treacy, Tom the Gom
Brando, "Noel King and I", and "Peter Stringer with the try"
Simon Power, COVID vaccine, Ireland's got a new team
Marc Wilson, Ogbene, Sotona, goodbye
Bagan didn't start the fire
It was always burning, since the Championship's been turning
Bagan didn't start the fire
No, he didn't light it, but he tried to fight it
Credit: Billy Joel Bagan

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 8:47pm
Very nice through ball assist. Hit the crossbar earlier in the game also.

Posted By: SeaSharp
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:41pm
Jamilu Collins off injured after 9 minutes tonight.. hopefully Bagan is in for some game time now.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Jamilu Collins off injured after 9 minutes tonight.. hopefully Bagan is in for some game time now.

They put O'Dowda in at left-back, and he did well, so Bagan may be out of luck.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:52pm
Probably the only one on the bench that could do a job there. He's been their best attacking player so can't see them sticking him out of position at LB.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 3:16pm
Jamilu Collins has done his ACL and is out for the season. Will be interesting to see if Bagan gets a decent shot now or if they go back into the transfer market before it closes.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 3:21pm
They'll have to go into the market because they only had two LBs and didn't see Bagan as a starter this season.

Posted By: Technical_method
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 3:39pm
Bagan looks a really good talent and going forward looks frightening on his day. 

Hes played championship football as 18/19 years old and popped up with a few excellent performances and a few goals/assists.

Part of me thinks he's been fasttracked because of his left sided position and probably needed a little more time to fill out and work on his defensive responsibilities.

Good news is that at 20 he's already got a very good amount of experience.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Technical_method Technical_method wrote:

Bagan looks a really good talent and going forward looks frightening on his day. 

Hes played championship football as 18/19 years old and popped up with a few excellent performances and a few goals/assists.

Part of me thinks he's been fasttracked because of his left sided position and probably needed a little more time to fill out and work on his defensive responsibilities.

Good news is that at 20 he's already got a very good amount of experience.

Cardiff fans have mostly said similar and did cut him a bit of slack at first because he was mostly playing because they had no money to reinvent and needed to cut some costs.

Going forward he has his moments and can find good positions coming in field when attacking. But needs to work on his defensive side, especially now that Cardiff have gone to four at a back.

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 11:30am
Starts today, I’m at the game, will report on himself and O’Dowda Wink

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 12:08pm
Off with bad injury after 6 mins.

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 12:08pm
6mins into the game and Cardiff lose their only other LB to injury.

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 1:49pm

If you're close enough to the dugout ask Tommy Conway has he an Irish granny. Has looked good for Bristol the last few games

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 2:55pm

If you're close enough to the dugout ask Tommy Conway has he an Irish granny. Has looked good for Bristol the last few games
Haha was on the other side of the pitch unfortunately! He was quite impressive alright, busy player and can get in behind and score goals.

As for O’Dowda.. barely got a sniff today. Didn’t really look up for being back at his old stomping ground.

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 2:56pm
Ah jaysus, hopefully it's not too bad 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Ah jaysus, hopefully it's not too bad 
Really nasty clash of heads but he managed to walk off, probably be out for 2/3 weeks or however long concussion recovery takes

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 7:16pm
Bagan named on the bench for Cardiff tonight. Good to see him back as was a nasty knock to the head he took.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 3:40pm
Made a cracking save to keep his team in it LOL

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 3:50pm
Well he's certainly made an impact on what was a rare match day appearance for the lad.

They played a CB at LB in their last league game when the first choice was unavailable, and they had O'Dowda whose second choice playing on the wing.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 3:50pm
Could be a match winning red card. Shades of Suarez at the World Cup against Ghana.

Cracking save too.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 3:54pm
O'Dowda playing Perkins onside for a late equalizer.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 4:00pm
Not to be for Bagan, the possibly Irish eligible Perkins ruining it for him in the last minute and now he's suspended for the replay. Probably needs a League 1 loan anyway, he has hardly been playing for Cardiff this season.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Not to be for Bagan, the possibly Irish eligible Perkins ruining it for him in the last minute and now he's suspended for the replay. Probably needs a League 1 loan anyway, he has hardly been playing for Cardiff this season.

Was he not injured?

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Was he not injured?

He's been back since the second week in October and today was only his second match day squad appearance since then.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 4:27pm

Was he not injured?

He's been back since the second week in October and today was only his second match day squad appearance since then.

I thought he wasn't in the squad's due to that head injury since then.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 4:36pm

Was he not injured?

I'd doubt that since he started today and could have played the full 90 but couldn't make the match day squad for the last league game when they started a CB at LB.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 4:43pm

Was he not injured?

I'd doubt that since he started today and could have played the full 90 but couldn't make the match day squad for the last league game when they started a CB at LB.

Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 6:51pm
Starts the third round reply against with O'Dowda and Robinson on the bench. Hopefully sees out the 90 minutes this time thiugh.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 6:57pm

Starts the third round reply against with O'Dowda and Robinson on the bench. Hopefully sees out the 90 minutes this time thiugh.

A word on his heroics in the initial game! Magnificent stuff Scotland will be regretting he didn’t declare for them they could do with a goalkeeper!

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 11:54am
Signs a new three year deal.

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 4:35pm
What happened to him last season, was it all injury related at he didn't play much or was he out of favour or a bit of both?

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 4:46pm
He did get injured in the one game he started in the league but the manager gave this interview back in December.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-player-told-he-25823979?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target" rel="nofollow - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-player-told-he-25823979?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

"I really like Joel. He needs to push harder. He needs to want to take his opportunity," Hudson said of the left-back.

"People can say, 'Well he has not had his opportunity.' But it's every day. I've seen players take their opportunity in training and showcase it day in, day out. He needs to demand more from himself. We are trying to get that from him but it needs to come more from within.

"There are opportunities for everyone to come and showcase what they've got. You've seen selection, everyone has pretty much had an opportunity to take it, not just on the pitch, but down there on the training ground as well."

"It's difficult when you've got players in front of you. Callum O'Dowda has played there. We thought that would work with the attacking option at home.

"I'm not saying Joel won't feature, I think Joel needs to push on a bit more. I'm not saying anything to you that I've not said to Joel. 'How much do you want it?'

"When someone would maybe knock on my door and say, 'Look, I really want to get my opportunity and I'm doing it every day', then they'll get it. There needs to be a demand from within."

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 10:53pm
The manager is basically questioning his attitude and work ethic in training there. But the manager/club still have belief in him to offer him a three year deal. Hopefully he gets playing more  regular this season.

Posted By: Banana_RepublicFC
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 9:50am
He was getting regular games under Steve Morrison.

Hudson and Lamouchi haven't used him.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 9:51am
One can only assume he was given some assurances. At 22 now, he cant afford another season on the sidelines. Mc Clean is 34, O'Dowda (who he has a chance to compete with at club level) has never convinced defensively while Manning is out of favour. There is definitely a chink of light if he can get himself regular game time at Championship level over the next year.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Going forward he gets into good positions but defensively he's weak. Not what you want when fighting relegation. Hopefully gets himself a loan cause if Jamilu Collins is fit he'll be warming the bench.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 10:47am

Going forward he gets into good positions but defensively he's weak. Not what you want when fighting relegation. Hopefully gets himself a loan cause if Jamilu Collins is fit he'll be warming the bench.
I would worry about him physically too. He's pretty light weight and doesn't look like he has blistering pace to compensate.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 11:43am
He has been inconsistent since he made the breakthrough under Mick McCarthy. Might have been a flash in the pan, we’ll see. I think his younger brother Sam is still at QPR.

Posted By: Banana_RepublicFC
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 11:43am

Handing out a new three year deal to a player who only featured 4 times last season would suggest that they have high hopes for him.

Bulut might take a liking to him.

He scored 3 goals in as many games back in early 2022. I would have considered him for a senior cap back then.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 8:32pm
Has gone on loan. Interesting destination!

https://twitter.com/CardiffCityFC/status/1690075843102404608?t=xvXiRrrSUfQiRnOjOkNqzA&s=19" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/CardiffCityFC/status/1690075843102404608?t=xvXiRrrSUfQiRnOjOkNqzA&s=19

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 8:40pm
Belgian second division, not a great standard albeit they should be one of the strongest teams in that league.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 9:36pm
Better than twiddling his thumbs not making match day squads at Cardiff. If he impresses might get him some interest from teams in the top tier or other leagues on the continent. Going forward he's decent and gets into great positions but defensively he's weak. Wouldn't be trusting him in a back four.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 9:39pm

Better than twiddling his thumbs not making match day squads at Cardiff. If he impresses might get him some interest from teams in the top tier or other leagues on the continent. Going forward he's decent and gets into great positions but defensively he's weak. Wouldn't be trusting him in a back four.
I think I might have said it before in this thread, but my main concern would be that he's extremely lightweight. To be as slender as he is you need to be exceptional to make it at the top level. Doesn't seem to have the blistering pace you may associate with slighter players either.

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 9:43pm

I think I might have said it before in this thread, but my main concern would be that he's extremely lightweight. To be as slender as he is you need to be exceptional to make it at the top level. Doesn't seem to have the blistering pace you may associate with slighter players either.

He's over 6'0, the slight frame is likely down to age and is hardly something that can't be addressed.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He's over 6'0, the slight frame is likely down to age and is hardly something that can't be addressed.
Is he? He didn't look that tall when I saw him at Ashton Gate last season. Maybe it was just the angle I had. He is nearly 22 now so you'd expect to see him bulking out soon enough. Have to remember that it's partially down to genetics too

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2023 at 9:56am
He's definitely pretty tall for a fullback but admittedly gangly also. 

Games are the necessity for him and isn't going to get that not making Cardiffs matchday squads unless it's a cup game. Suprised Cardiff didn't go the L1/L2 route but this team are newly relegated so should be relatively strong and pushing for promotion. 

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2023 at 10:37am
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

He's definitely pretty tall for a fullback but admittedly gangly also. 

Games are the necessity for him and isn't going to get that not making Cardiffs matchday squads unless it's a cup game. Suprised Cardiff didn't go the L1/L2 route but this team are newly relegated so should be relatively strong and pushing for promotion. 

Agreed, he just needs games at this stage. Belgium II is a decent league technically and did O'Brien no harm last season. It wont put him on the radar for the senior team, but a good loan and a return to regular Chship football next season and he can still win caps in the future.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 1:29pm
Starts for Zulte Waregem today at LB, they are leading 2-0 at ht, a result that will see them up to 2nd place in Belgiums 2nd tier.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 4:31pm
Played the full 90 at the weekend in a 1-0 win over rivals Liege which put his team Zulte Waregem top of the Belgian 2nd tier!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net