Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57913
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 1:10pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Liam Scales
Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Subject: Liam Scales
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 3:15pm
Looks like his move to Celtic is going through.  

Has been somewhat of a graveyard for young Irish player's ambitions in recent years.  You'd be surprised if he was the manager's choice, given how recent he is in the job. 

Scales has been solid for us in Kenny's U-21s, initially as back up for Dara O'Shea and Conor Masterson in a successful Toulon tournament, where we ended up going out 2-0 in the semis to essentially the Brazil Olympics team, before establishing himself as first choice either at CB or LB.  Now obviously established himself strongly at Shamrock Rovers.  Shame that it looks like he'll miss their Euro campaign now.  

22 years old and a good player.  My money would say he'll get a senior cap; although we seem to have a bit of a conveyer-belt of centre-halves now.

Here's Balls.ie's take on him:

https://www.balls.ie/football/who-is-liam-scales-celtic-shamrock-rovers-478833 " rel="nofollow - https://www.balls.ie/football/who-is-liam-scales-celtic-shamrock-rovers-478833  ;

Replies:
Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Looks like his move to Celtic is going through.  

Has been somewhat of a graveyard for young Irish player's ambitions in recent years.  You'd be surprised if he was the manager's choice, given how recent he is in the job. 

Scales has been solid for us in Kenny's U-21s, initially as back up for Dara O'Shea and Conor Masterson in a successful Toulon tournament, where we ended up going out 2-0 in the semis to essentially the Brazil Olympics team, before establishing himself as first choice either at CB or LB.  Now obviously established himself strongly at Shamrock Rovers.  Shame that it looks like he'll miss their Euro campaign now.  

22 years old and a good player.  My money would say he'll get a senior cap; although we seem to have a bit of a conveyer-belt of centre-halves now.

Here's Balls.ie's take on him:

https://www.balls.ie/football/who-is-liam-scales-celtic-shamrock-rovers-478833 " rel="nofollow - https://www.balls.ie/football/who-is-liam-scales-celtic-shamrock-rovers-478833  ;

Just fixing your URL:

http://www.balls.ie/football/who-is-liam-scales-celtic-shamrock-rovers-478833" rel="nofollow - https://www.balls.ie/football/who-is-liam-scales-celtic-shamrock-rovers-478833

As foir Celtic being a graveyard, I agree and if Scales loses a season to this move, nobody could argue he needed a crystal ball to forsee it.
But I'd also assume he is gaining a massive pay-rise, so how could he refuse to test himself and try it out.

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 4:41pm
I know they've just signed McCarthy, who you'd rate, but he's so injury-prone that it's a big risk. 

Meanwhile they seem to be losing all their best players - Frimpong, Ajer, Ntcham, Elyounossi, etc.  Christie and Edouard the next to go seemingly.

That's the majority of their good outfield players.  And they're left with the likes of Bitton and Barkas.  

Stating the obvious, but they're in for a tough season - could be a tough place for Irish players this year.

Posted By: greenshoots
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 10:36am
Newspaper talk this morning is that a number of clubs are interested in Scales (Rovers quoted as saying the most clubs ever for a player of theirs). No harm to see a bidding war take place and an Irish club get a decent fee for a player for once. Hopefully Scales gets a good club too and can progress.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 10:47am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Newspaper talk this morning is that a number of clubs are interested in Scales (Rovers quoted as saying the most clubs ever for a player of theirs). No harm to see a bidding war take place and an Irish club get a decent fee for a player for once. Hopefully Scales gets a good club too and can progress.

Wonder if they're exaggerating this to their advantage. 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 10:59am
Fair play to them if they are... presumably they didnt pay a fee for him when he left UCD, so this money is pure profit for them and they would be well entitled to it. If they get a decent fee and can use it to tie down other players to longer term contracts, then we finally get to a situation whereby UK clubs cant get a player from the LOI on the cheap cos he has no long term deal in place. If a UK club wants a player, they will pay a decent price. If they dont want to pay, then the player stays in Ireland and the LOI gets stronger and stronger each year.
I'm not a huge follower of the league but it does seem that there are some really good players here in the league at the moment and I hope the players who leave do end up at decent clubs and the ones that stay continue to improve the league in general

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 11:37am
Since Sheffield United have been relegated, by process of elimination you can narrow the list of PL teams interested in Liam Scales to Burnley.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 1:35pm
Aston Villa more likely. At least one PL club is rumoured to have put in a higher bid than Celtic so far.

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Since Sheffield United have been relegated, by process of elimination you can narrow the list of PL teams interested in Liam Scales to Burnley.

Norwich and Southampton are the two reputed bidders no? Both seem quite likely they tend to sign a more under the radar type player then a Villa let’s say.

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 2:18pm
Norwich would be a disaster as we have young Omobamidele there and we are already hoping that they have faith in a 19 yr old CB. Norwich are unlikely to play 22 yr old Scales as well if they signed him. Southampton might be an option as Dutch international Vestegaard is their left sided CB and he's currently a target for Spurs, so potentially a slot opening up there....

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Norwich would be a disaster as we have young Omobamidele there and we are already hoping that they have faith in a 19 yr old CB. Norwich are unlikely to play 22 yr old Scales as well if they signed him. Southampton might be an option as Dutch international Vestegaard is their left sided CB and he's currently a target for Spurs, so potentially a slot opening up there....

Has Scales not proven very adept as an attacking left back? I get he’s a CB in general but that would be an option also. Will be interesting to see where he goes.

Also I’d be surprised if he didn’t go for at least 600k. I suspect clubs will happily pay that for him especially if they view him as one to go into first teams. 

Keep in mind with Norwich they also probably want another CB to go with what they have without paying a fortune for one that will interfere with Omobamidele? That was the vibe I got from them anyways. 

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 2:33pm
If he goes to an EPL team you'd hope he goes straight out on loan because he's unlikely to play much premier league football initially and under 23 games would be useless to him at his age.

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 2:56pm
He's 23. Surely whoever is buying him is intending to play him or least he's in  strong position to play. Bit old to be going out on loan. You either have confidence in a 23 year old or you don't. 

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 3:35pm
yeah I'd agree, cant see him being signed and sent out on loan. He's at an age now where he either plays or he doesnt, he's not a kid, he's 23 in a few days time. From what I've seen, he's a super talent, surely worth a go at a lower end Premier League club or a Championship side. Cant see why he would drop any lower.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 3:44pm
A lower end PL team is a big claim. Not sure hes at that level.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Teams of Norwich and Southampton's size regularly buy players from countries like Greece and Netherlands and throw them in straight away.

We've just seen a team from Ireland beat a Greek team and Dundalk drew with a Dutch team a few years ago; neither looked particularly overawed.

When Coleman was given a chance, he acquitted himself well pretty much straight away. I thought Stevens looked similarly able at Villa and was unfairly consigned to the scrapheap after picking up an injury at a bad time, despite being thrown into the deep end against some of the biggest teams in the league during a particularly challenging run for Villa.

I would've thought Everton and Aston Villa were considerably bigger teams than Southampton and Norwich now and particularly then.

Different positions but McClean, Long and Doyle adapted pretty much straight away as well.

There have been the flops like Roy O'Donovan but they weren't good enough for League One let alone the PL; Scales has already proved his worth internationally and in Europe on a consistent basis.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 10:35pm

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Teams of Norwich and Southampton's size regularly buy players from countries like Greece and Netherlands and throw them in straight away.

We've just seen a team from Ireland beat a Greek team and Dundalk drew with a Dutch team a few years ago; neither looked particularly overawed.

When Coleman was given a chance, he acquitted himself well pretty much straight away. I thought Stevens looked similarly able at Villa and was unfairly consigned to the scrapheap after picking up an injury at a bad time, despite being thrown into the deep end against some of the biggest teams in the league during a particularly challenging run for Villa.

I would've thought Everton and Aston Villa were considerably bigger teams than Southampton and Norwich now and particularly then.

Different positions but McClean, Long and Doyle adapted pretty much straight away as well.

There have been the flops like Roy O'Donovan but they weren't good enough for League One let alone the PL; Scales has already proved his worth internationally and in Europe on a consistent basis.

*make that hours ago

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 10:25pm
I'd love to know who else put in bids for him. Very underwhelming that a lad his age is joining Celtic's reserves. We have enough lads languishing there.

-------------

Posted By: Frabhoy
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 10:46pm

I'd love to know who else put in bids for him. Very underwhelming that a lad his age is joining Celtic's reserves. We have enough lads languishing there.

Was Southampton not the other team. Long and Obafemi get a lot of game time there? 

Watching Celtic tonight, no reason Liam won't get games at Celtic.

Been very disappointing for some players but Ange doesn't seem to rate O'Connor or Connell. Hope they get good loans or moves away. 

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 7:49am
Greg Taylor is injured too. So he maybe fast tracked into the team now. He is fully fit.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 8:43am
I really hope this works out for him because I rate him as a player. I just get the fear every time I see an Irish player heading for Celtic. 

Who was the last Irish player to nail down a first team place at Celtic and then move on to a better team - Liam Miller about 20 years ago maybe? Others like O'Dea were involved in the first team but never kicked on. Hayes was never more than a squad player. The success rate for Irish players at Celtic is terrible, especially younger players.

Best of luck to him because he'll need it there.

Posted By: exgrad
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 9:40am

What makes you think he's not going straight into the Celtic first team squad?  He can't play for Celtic Colts.  Do they have another reserve team?

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 9:56am
They have a team's worth of players who are overage for the B team but hardly ever play for the first team either.

Anyway it's confirmed now on a four year deal.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 10:00am
Originally posted by exgrad exgrad wrote:

What makes you think he's not going straight into the Celtic first team squad?  He can't play for Celtic Colts.  Do they have another reserve team?

I think he will go straight into the first team squad. Celtic left backs are not great. 
He wasn't far off the Irish squad this time around. He has been quality for Rovers all season. Its a step up but he is a great age for it and I think he definitely has it in him to push on and improve further. He has already improved so much in the last 2 years since when I first exposed to him. 
Versatile as well which makes him a good option on the bench to begin with anyway 

Posted By: Jock
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 10:10am
Our current 1st choice left back is woeful (plus got injured last night), so I'm assuming thats where he is earmarked to play rather than LCB. Whilst Sunday might be too soon Id expect him to be challenging for the LB spot very soon. 

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 12:53pm
Don't want to put the mockers on the kid, but even before I heard about the Celtic link, I thought Scales reminded me a bit of Tierney.

Hope he gets a fair shot. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 5:07pm
Taylor out injured so I would hope Scales will get his run now Thursday night. If he's not playing straight away I would be worried Postecoglu doesn't want to know about him. 

Posted By: Howdo
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Taylor out injured so I would hope Scales will get his run now Thursday night. If he's not playing straight away I would be worried Postecoglu doesn't want to know about him. 

Montgomery is nailed on to start

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Montgomery is nailed on to start

I was thinking of him alright. Generally a new signing comes straight into the team in circumstances like that Carter Vickers today a case in point. I know it might sound reactionary but I'd call it fairly straight if he's not getting a run over Montgomery a kid I would wonder.

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 7:04pm
 On the bench today, hopefully gets some chances to show what he can do. 

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Good to hear that he might get a chance at what seems to have become the graveyard of young Irish footballers!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

If he’s any type of player he’ll get in there soon.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:09pm
Comes on after the 59th minute to make his debut.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: fr larry duff
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Comes on after the 59th minute to make his debut.

Did well, looked composed but game was practically a training game the last 30 minutes so can't read too.much into it

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 10:14pm
Well he has already done better than most of the younger Irish lads that have gone to Celtic in recent years in that he has actually played for the first team. Left back is a weak spot in their team so hopefully he can build on that and get some game time in the league.

Posted By: gongman
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 10:17pm
thought the same.

Didn’t have much to do defensively, but looks composed on the ball and has a good understanding of Ange’s system.

Hope to see more of him over coming games 

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 11:06pm
Probably because he is good enough and the others aren't.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 11:28pm
people actually thought celtic were going to sign him and put him in their leinster senior league team, and he'd move to them on that basis.  He has well over 100 senior appearances including european games.  Afolabi and O'Connor had been released by their clubs prior to joining celtic.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 11:51pm

I think it has more to do with their left back struggles than anything else. 

Incidentally, he is a few years overage for their "Leinster Senior League team" so was never going to be playing for them. He'll be playing for their senior team or not playing at all.

Hopefully he does well but the opposition tonight, Raith Rovers, would be the equivalent of a League of Ireland Premier Division team, so he has still to make the step up to SPL football. Maybe he'll get his chance this weekend.

Posted By: HANSSUP
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 12:25am
Raith Rovers similar to a LOI Premier side, LOL!!!  Most of the teams in the LOI Premier would be well able for the Scottish premiership, as a comparison of the past few years results in Europe show.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 3:41am
Maybe the other Irish lads aren't good enough, they're young so time will tell, but Okoflex is a strange one. He did get a couple of cameo appearances as a sub in the first team when half the players were out with Covid, didn't do much but then got a transfer to West Ham in the PL where he is already looking like a first team prospect.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 7:56am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Incidentally, he is a few years overage for their "Leinster Senior League team" so was never going to be playing for them. He'll be playing for their senior team or not playing at all.

Hopefully he does well but the opposition tonight, Raith Rovers, would be the equivalent of a League of Ireland Premier Division team, so he has still to make the step up to SPL football. Maybe he'll get his chance this weekend.

Bolingoli who played the other day was on the bench tonight. Scales was played ahead of him, more importantly, Scales looked very composed and comfortable and I can see him playing a lot more. 

Afolabi and O'Connor are not good enough, you previously acknowledged this about O'Connor.

Okoflex looked way off the pace when he played for Celtic so surprised to see him doing well at West Ham.

Connell - 2 Celtic managers don't seem to rate him, it doesn't help that there were always a good few lads ahead of him. Hopefully his loan spell is successful and he can kick on. He's only gone 20 so is still very young.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 10:19am

Bolingoli who played the other day was on the bench tonight. Scales was played ahead of him, more importantly, Scales looked very composed and comfortable and I can see him playing a lot more. 

Afolabi and O'Connor are not good enough, you previously acknowledged this about O'Connor.

Okoflex looked way off the pace when he played for Celtic so surprised to see him doing well at West Ham.

Connell - 2 Celtic managers don't seem to rate him, it doesn't help that there were always a good few lads ahead of him. Hopefully his loan spell is successful and he can kick on. He's only gone 20 so is still very young.

I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily. I agree about O'Connor and Afolabi. I can't see Afolabi making the grade at all and if O'Connor gets there he'll have to go the long way around similar to John Egan and many others before him.

I like Liam, always have, I think he's a really nice footballer and I hope he makes the grade at Celtic. It wouldn't have been my preferred destination for him being honest, given their recent record with Irish players. All I'm saying is that their struggles at left back is what's giving him a potential opportunity as much as anything. If they were as well stocked there as they are in some other positions he'd probably never get a sniff. But he has a potential window between now and the January window to make his case and hopefully he can do it.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 2:20pm
 I actually really like Montgomery think he will be a talented player in time! He has looked hopelessly out of his depth in recent weeks and as for Ralston don't get me started. 

Surely after last night Scales will be given a run almost by default? 

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:06pm
Called into the squad to replace Manning.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Called into the squid to replace Manning.

Fixed

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Called into the squid to replace Man o'war.

Fixed

Fixed again

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Called into the squid to replaice Man o'war.

Fixed

Fixed again

And again.. This is great craic.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:28pm

Called into the squid to replace Man o'war.

Fixed

Fixed again
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:29pm

Called into the squid to replaice Man o'war.

Fixed

Fixed again

And again.. This is great craic.

What do you marine?

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:56pm
Jelly good choice.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:10pm
I might get accused of having the green titled specs on but I find it baffling he's not started a game for Celtic yet. Montgomery looks totally out of his depth for now a kid. 

Ange has referenced a "patient" approach with him but he's 23 and he can't be any worse then Celtics other full backs. Looked okay in the cameo against Raith Rovers too. 10 men Raith Rovers context needed I know but he impressed a lot for Celtic fans going off the bird app also. 

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:11pm
There were trouts over Manning's squidness so it only made sense to replaice him with Scales. It would've been shellfish of Manning to play through the coxswain barrier.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:23pm

There were trouts over Manning's squidness so it only made sense to replaice him with Scales. It would've been shellfish of Manning to play through the coxswain barrier.

The whiting was on the wall for Manning

-------------

Posted By: Darren
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:50pm
With Manning out, McClean's limitations, Stevens only just returning, Scales has a good shot at making the LWB plaice his own

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Darren Darren wrote:

With Manning out, McClean's limitations, Stevens only just returning, Scales has a good shot at making the LWB plaice his own

Should have a good chance of starting vs Qatar particularly if we get the win vs Azerbaijan. Longer term, Mc Clean is 32, Stevens 31 - so he will hopefully be battling it out with Manning 25 and Bagan 19 for that spot by the time the Euro campaign rolls around in earnest in March 2023.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 3:03pm

Kenny’s been in Wigan a lot. Read into that what you want. McCleans here for the foreseeable!

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Kenny’s been in Wigan a lot. Read into that what you want. McCleans here for the foreseeable!

Are you inferring that the team manger is having an affair with Jimmy? Jaysus wept!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Are you inferring that the team manger is having an affair with Jimmy? Jaysus wept!

Or that Kenny has been scouting Wigan games a lot. Don't know what weird fantasies you have if you think he's inferring Kenny and McClean are having an affair.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Or that Kenny has been scouting Wigan games a lot. Don't know what weird fantasies you have if you think he's inferring Kenny and McClean are having an affair.

Well I guess Will Keane might have something to do with that rather than Mc Clean whose ability I'm sure he is well aware of. Smile I'm a big fan of Jimmy's btw, great servant, but 32 now, I merely inferred that he might not still be around come the start of the next Euro campaign and Scales will have a good shot at nailing down that spot in the not too distant future.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 1:40pm
Comes off the bench and scores a lovely goal.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 1:48pm

Comes off the bench and scores a lovely goal.

Fantastic finish.

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 6:22pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdDmijJtCTc%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdDmijJtCTc
From the 8 minute mark

Posted By: Bukowski
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 6:27pm
Lovely cushioned finish.
The commentator calls him William Scales. Truly there are many hidden facets to this young man.

-------------
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 7:19pm
Took a fairly big deflection I think. Good to see him getting minutes though and hopefully that means he is genuinely in the manager's plans as a potential starter before long.

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

Lovely cushioned finish.
The commentator calls him William Scales. Truly there are many hidden facets to this young man.

He was named for King Billy.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 8:01pm
Would seem like an ideal opportunity to start him in the last Europa group game now as Celtic are confirmed in third so nothing really on the game. It's actually unusual for Celtic to have a dead rubber game because they take the domestic cups so seriously. If he doesn't get a start in that game, realistically when will he?

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 9:21am
Quality goal from Liam hopefully the Barndarrig man will get more game time for Celtic now.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 9:51am
Exactly.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 6:55pm
First start tonight.

-------------

Posted By: mully_85
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 8:48pm
had a decent first half… seems tidy enuff

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 9:04pm
Tough one to judge as it has a bit of a friendly match feel at times and this is an entire second choice Celtic 11 other than Kyogo coming on as a sub. 

Having said all that he has looked good. Whether that's enough to put him into contention for league starts remains to be seen - the commentators keep mentioning that Celtic have a lot of games coming up, but they've never been ones for major rotation in the league.

Posted By: Darren
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 9:14pm
Not looking too much like a friendly to me, particularly given the overacting of the Betis players at times. In any case, they are a quality side, 3rd in La Liga and the fact that Scales looks quite comfortable and is having a decent game at this level is a real positive. McCarthy on the other hand is looking a bit off the pace unfortunately.

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 10:01pm
Less involved in the second half, but he can be happy with that overall I think.

The pace of the game itself picked up after half time.

Posted By: aviva8
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 10:12pm
He was very solid, unfortunately McCarthy looks finished (judging by him tonight anyway.)

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 10:22pm

Less involved in the second half, but he can be happy with that overall I think.

The pace of the game itself picked up after half time.

I thought Liam played well tonight.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 10:24pm
Thought he was very good one of thier better players. Taylor the left back I just don't remotely rate would be interested to see if there's a hint or two in the coming weeks Scales could get a proper run.

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 11:23pm
BBC with the green tinted glasses loads on this forum keeps going on about.

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 5:16am
Didn't see the game but Ange made comments when Scales joined that he wasn't up to the requisite pace needed to start at that point and had some work to do. Getting a goal the weekend and doing okay against La Liga opposition, albeit in a dead rubber of sorts, is fairly indicative of progress on Scales' part since those comments from Ange. It feels like things are going in the right direction and the busy schedule has been referenced- there are 3 weeks left in December and Celtic have 5 league games and a league cup game and this all culminates in an Old Firm on 2 Jan. A couple or more starts would be a great way to round out 2021.

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 7:01am
Nice to see him weigh in with a goal at the weekend Clap

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 1:52pm
Rewarded for his efforts midweek with a seat in the stands today.

(Could be injured to be fair)

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 3:32pm

Rewarded for his efforts midweek with a seat in the stands today.

(Could be injured to be fair)

One or two murmurs of a family bereavement on the bird app. Try to be nice to players but Greg Taylor is not remotely convincing as a LB. Surely Scales will get a run soon if he keeps playing like he did against Betis when given opportunities.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 6:34pm
Liam starts for Celtic tonight at Ross County.

-------------

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 8:11pm
Grabs an assist for the opening goal

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 8:12pm
Cracking cross from Liam for Abadas goal to put Celtic 1 0 up.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 8:24pm
If he can establish himself in the Celtic team, he will skip ahead of Stevens for us in March. Anyone who's watched him regularly for Rovers knows the potential he has 

-------------

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 8:25pm
hopefully he does, stevens is beyond poor.

-------------
No Pasaran!

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 8:35pm
He's doing well, getting more involved in the game and getting forward a lot, drawing fouls and putting in some decent crosses.

A solid half.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: turbo10
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 8:44pm
Agree he's doing well tonight. Composed on the ball. Lovely cross for the goal. If he can stay in the celtic team (and there's no reason why he shouldn't given his recent contributions) he would deserve a place in the Irish squad.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 9:03pm
Gives the ball away cheaply for no real reason, Celtic concede a corner and then Scales loses his man for the goal. 

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 9:48pm
Did well for most of the game but 2 crucial errors for their goal. Thankfully Ralston got him out of jail with the last minute winner. He's still a work in progress. Hopefully he gets more chances inspite his contribution for their goal. Looked better going forward than defending on tonight's performance 

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 6:54pm
Starting again tonight vs St Mirren Clap

Posted By: aviva8
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 10:51pm
Liam Scales - Continues to grow in stature in a green and white jersey and was Celtic's best performer on the night. 7

Posted By: tmorules
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 10:53pm
Liam Scales - Continues to grow in stature in a green and white jersey and was Celtic's best performer on the night. 7

Liam Scales: The Irishman’s calm on-ball demeanour and a willingness to continue his runs into the penalty area ensured he was regularly involved in play – although admittedly it would’ve been hard not to be on such a ball-dominant evening. Unlike his last starter’s outing against Ross County, Scales was rarely tested on the defensive end while his link-up attempts with winger Mikey Johnston did not quite click to any great degree. 6

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 7:50am
I thought he did OK. Nothing really to do defensively. Celtic had over 80% possession. He was tidy on the ball and retained it well. Although not too much in the way if incision in his passing, against St Mirrens parked bus defence.

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 10:14am
Is that 7 from 20 as don't see how anyone in a Celtic shirt could get more than a 6/10 last night.
Although he didn't do anything wrong there were periods of the game where he didn't get a touch. If he wants to the 1st choice left back last night was an opportunity to demonstrate the desire and responsibility required. He was a bit disappointing in that regard.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 1:41pm
Should have scored in the first half....not a game to assess him.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 12:35pm
Starting again for Celtic against St Johnstone,
Third league start in a row, great to see.

McCarthy starts too.

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2021 at 4:35pm
Some additional competition for Scales now with Celtic bringing in a new left back from the J League.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/reo-hatate/profil/spieler/496656" rel="nofollow - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/reo-hatate/profil/spieler/496656

Although he does apparently play a few positions, can play in midfield also.

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 9:12am
Quality cross from Liam for Celtics first goal yesterday.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net