URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57902
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 10:38am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Conor Noss
Posted By: Bandwagon
Subject: Conor Noss
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 4:29pm
Cant see an existing thread for him.

Has been clocking up minutes with the senior team in preseason and scored his first goal for them this afternoon against Paderborn having only come seconds earlier as a second half sub.

Hes been involved with the senior team for the guts of 2 years now, being named on the bench a number of times in the both the Bundesliga and Europa League as well as training with them regularly.

Having had a bit of a stop/start season last year due to injuries and the suspension of underage / reserve team football in Germany due to the pandemic, I reckon this will be the season he'll get his chance.

Replies:
Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 4:52pm
The upcoming U21 campaign will show us what he is made of.
I'd say he will be competing for that #10 slot with the likes of Devoy who looks a lovely player.

Now of course of Conor starts getting gametime in the 1st team in Germany, he'll have to be looked at a lot more closelty but I doubt he'll make that breakthru just yet.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 5:02pm
think ye need to find the "ß" on the keyboard lads Wink

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Cant see an existing thread for him.

Has been clocking up minutes with the senior team in preseason and scored his first goal for them this afternoon against Paderborn having only come seconds earlier as a second half sub.

Hes been involved with the senior team for the guts of 2 years now, being named on the bench a number of times in the both the Bundesliga and Europa League as well as training with them regularly.

Having had a bit of a stop/start season last year due to injuries and the suspension of underage / reserve team football in Germany due to the pandemic, I reckon this will be the season he'll get his chance.

Seems to be having a good pre season. My own thinking was he would be sold to a Bundesliga 2nd division side this summer and his contract close to up. He could kick on them and find his level.

The sporting director said however that he sees him as one to breakthrough so hopefully he is right and I’m wrong. 

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 5:16pm
Hon the NosserClap

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 5:36pm
As far as a number 10, from what I've seen, he doesn't have the technical ability of Devoy, especially when it comes to controlling tempo and dictating play (something we so badly lack in the Irish senior team). 

Strikes me more of an attacking midfielder probably playing as a number 8. Will be interesting to see how he gets on this season. Has looked decent when I've seen him, but yet to see anything that we don't already have. 

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

As far as a number 10, from what I've seen, he doesn't have the technical ability of Devoy, especially when it comes to controlling tempo and dictating play (something we so badly lack in the Irish senior team). 

Strikes me more of an attacking midfielder probably playing as a number 8. Will be interesting to see how he gets on this season. Has looked decent when I've seen him, but yet to see anything that we don't already have. 

Yeah I'd agree with you there. More of an Alan Browne type that can play the 10 but more suited to the 8.

I reckon he'll get a run out in the Pokal cup games anyway. Its a pity they missed out on Europe last season, a point more would have seen them qualify for the Conference League where he'd have been very likely to feature.

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Hon the NosserClap

That would be "NoßßerBig smile

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Hon the NosserClap

That would be "NoßßerBig smile
should be a single Ezsett no?

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 8:57pm
Nossss

ClapClap

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 4:17pm
Came on again at HT there for their friendly against Metz. Currently 0-0.

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 4:25pm
Just scored the winner!

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 3:37pm
Borussia Monchengladbach are playing Bayern Munich at 5pm today. Will be a much bigger test for Noss. Hes got 45mins in every preseason game so far so Id expect him to feature today.

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 3:51pm
Will be interesting to see if he stays or goes out on loan this coming season. 

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 4:09pm
A few interviews of him, eyeing German international honours

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Pretty sure he was quoted as saying he was happy with Ireland 'for now', a while back.

Wouldnt be suprised to see him switch.

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 4:12pm
Noss surrender!

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I read this interview...no word on Germany but he mentions it's a big decision, which it is.
No indication he has any plans to try out for Germany and he has to answer these questions and gave a good answer, I think.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/7355808/ireland-underage-midfielder-conor-noss-borussia-monchengladbach/" rel="nofollow - https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/7355808/ireland-underage-midfielder-conor-noss-borussia-monchengladbach/

Look, if he starts getting gametime this season in the Bundesliga and is looking promising (or if he tears it up in our U21 campaign - no indications yet that could happen), then he should be called into our seniors to get acclimatised etc. and we go from there.

Posted By: johnvonp
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 4:24pm
Irish underage star Conor Noss weighing up international future as he hopes for a big year with Borussia Monchengladbach

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/7355808/ireland-underage-midfielder-conor-noss-borussia-monchengladbach/" rel="nofollow - https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/7355808/ireland-underage-midfielder-conor-noss-borussia-monchengladbach/

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Irish underage star Conor Noss weighing up international future as he hopes for a big year with Borussia Monchengladbach

I, for one, am positively shocked by this development! Shocked

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 4:54pm
The Ireland football team... the official feeder team.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 4:56pm
not bothered. He looks OK but some distance from a senior player 

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:03pm
Just file this under who cares. He’s promising but the beauty is we have a raft of promising young midfielders whereas if this was 5 years ago we’d have him on more of a pedestal. 

That looked grim reading tbh basically if I’m good enough I’m playing for Germany. Beauty is of course even if he is playing close to regularly for Gladbach in the next 2/3 years he’d still be a bit off the standard required for Germany.

It is what it is no point worrying about it. 

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:04pm
So Noss is 20 and will be 21 on 1st January which means he's eligible for the u21s for another year.

However if he plays for the u21s when he is 21 does that mean he can't make an international change for 3 years? 

So I guess he needs to identify what side of the fence he wants to make his international career on soon... right? 

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

So Noss is 20 and will be 21 on 1st January which means he's eligible for the u21s for another year.

However if he plays for the u21s when he is 21 does that mean he can't make an international change for 3 years? 

So I guess he needs to identify what side of the fence he wants to make his international career on soon... right? 

Hmm...so the rule uses the term "A" International.
Is that senior only?
Or does ANY official International match count once you are past your 21st birthday (only U21 would really apply then as you obviously cannot be 21 playing in an U19 comp)?
I always read it as senior international matches only...happy to be corrected.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:11pm
Born & raised in Germany, hoped he’ll play for us but either way best of luck to the lad 

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:15pm
How does he qualify for us anyway? Irish mother or grandparents? 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Mother. 

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:23pm

Is that senior only?
Or does ANY official International match count once you are past your 21st birthday (only U21 would really apply then as you obviously cannot be 21 playing in an U19 comp)?

Isn't A international in reference to the competition he plays in? So a WC qualifier at u21 when you're over 21? Rather than a friendly game? 

It might be senior games though.. I dont know.

But if he does get some first team club football this year in the German Bundesliga then he'll be playing at a higher level than all our other midfielders so theoretically would warrant a senior call up...

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:32pm

Is that senior only?

Isn't A international in reference to the competition he plays in? So a WC qualifier at u21 when you're over 21? Rather than a friendly game? 

It might be senior games though.. I dont know.

But if he does get some first team club football this year in the German Bundesliga then he'll be playing at a higher level than all our other midfielders so theoretically would warrant a senior call up...

Any reading of it suggests it's senior caps only but it's not 100% clear.
We will know his position soon enough as, as you said, he turns 21 in a few months and every chance SK will have him in a squad if he looks at all promising.

I didn't think Noss was a flight risk but as stated above, is German-born and raised so he'd be excused if the German FA came calling.  We have to accept that.

Thing is, I don't think SK will be waiting around in these cases and will be calling lads like this up at the first sign they are ready for senior football. 

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:34pm
Lads, will you calm the f**k down.

He was asked about it and he answered honestly.

Its a gutter journalist trying to grab a few headlines for a rag with a soundbite.

He has already turned down interest from the German FA to represent them at underage level, quoted as saying:

“The German FA contacted my club’s under-23 coach once I started playing for Ireland but I didn’t respond to them.”

He speaks nothing but fondly of Ireland representing and playing for us.

Can we not respect the young man and give him the benefit of the doubt?

Lashing out on social media posts and message forums will hardly help maters if a young players, his family and/or friends come across it.

Lets just wait and see. Hes not doing an Odubeko or Grealish just yet by refusing underage call ups or "needing time to think about".

At the end of the day, he is German born and bred, a dual eligible player who probably does see himself as both German and Irish having been born to a German father and Irish mother.

Hes not some blow in granny ruler like Grealish or Rice with very lose ties to Ireland.

If Germany do come knocking it will be a difficult decision for him.

But the reality of it is, it will take something very special for him to become a regular for them. They've had hundreds of players in recent years who have won a handful of caps in meaningless friendies and never seen again. Then even established players like Kroos, Lahm, Muller, Hummels are finished or considered over the hill by the time they hit 30.

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:41pm
Even at that they can play 3 times at senior level and change to another nation once none of those games were competitive Although I think that's only if it's their first change as I don't think you can switch more than once.
I stand to be corrected though.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:42pm
Let's not get carried away. The quote about not responding to the German FA is attributable to John Fallon, so it's almost certain Noss was misquoted or Fallon made it up.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:45pm

Its a gutter journalist trying to grab a few headlines for a rag with a soundbite.

He has already turned down interest from the German FA to represent them at underage level, quoted as saying:

“The German FA contacted my club’s under-23 coach once I started playing for Ireland but I didn’t respond to them.”

Lashing out on social media posts and message forums will hardly help maters if a young players, his family and/or friends come across it.

Lets just wait and see. Hes not doing an Odubeko or Grealish just yet by refusing underage call ups or "needing time to think about".

At the end of the day, he is German born and bred, a dual eligible player who probably does see himself as both German and Irish having been born to a German father and Irish mother.

Hes not some blow in granny ruler like Grealish or Rice with very lose ties to Ireland.

But the reality of it is, it will take something very special for him to become a regular for them. They've had hundreds of players in recent years who have won a handful of caps in meaningless friendies and never seen again. Then even established players like Kroos, Lahm, Muller, Hummels are finished or considered over the hill by the time they hit 30.

Yeah, I am not worried here.
Has always shown pride in the jersey (I know we've seen that before) and talks well about his Irish experiences. And has an Irish mammy!
As I said at the start, he gave a good answer so let's hope he pushes on this season and does step up to senior level with us.

In other news I had a YT stream of the match there and it died a few mins ago Angry
Anyone got a working link?

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Let's not get carried away. The quote about not responding to the German FA is attributable to John Fallon, so it's almost certain Noss was misquoted or Fallon made it up.

How can you start your sentence "Lets not get carried away" ...then go onto to say he was either misquoted or made up by the journalist LOLLOLLOL

Like the f**king Sun and Andrew Ryan are anymore reliable with their quotes.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:55pm

Who's not calm? Discussion of a football player on a football forum is essentially appropriate. No?

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:56pm

How can you start your sentence "Lets not get carried away" ...then go onto to say he was either misquoted or made up by the journalist LOLLOLLOL

Like the f**king Sun and Andrew Ryan are anymore reliable with their quotes.

John Fallon articles about eligible players need a disclaimer at this point. He's been proven wrong and written things that aren't true about Jack Grealish, Declan Rice and Mipo Odubeko, among several others, countless times to the point where he carries little credibility on the issue. Unless there is proof those words came out of Noss's mouth, I'm skeptical he ever said anything like that. Especially since subsequent articles from more reliable sources prove contradictory.

-------------

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Mother. 

Irish mammy, definitely staying with us or it’s the wooden spoon for him  ClapClap

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Mother. 

Irish mammy, definitely staying with us or it’s the wooden spoon for him  ClapClap

The Kristopher Quesada lad at Arsenal has an Irish mammy and it's recently came out that his father said they are using the FAI with the aim of playing for another country long-term!

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 6:01pm

Who's not calm? Discussion of a football player on a football forum is essentially appropriate. No?

"The Ireland football team... the official feeder team."

Is that not a bit sensationalist? We've had a grand total of 2 players from a few hundred deflect from us over the years. All of sudden theres a mass panic that every dual eligible player since is going to do it.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 6:05pm
Hes on at HT now anyway. The only change.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 6:06pm

Is that not a bit sensationalist? We've had a grand total of 2 players from a few hundred deflect from us over the years. All of sudden theres a mass panic that every dual eligible player since is going to do it.

Well played Bandwagon.... well played. 

I'm not sure I can explain away this without digging myself into a bigger hole.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 6:12pm
Not another flip flopper.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 6:21pm
It's like deja vu in these will he won't he threads. Same posts all the time. Fact remains, if someone utters anything to do with allegiance, then we're not 1st choice. If Germany come.calling were dropped like a wet snot. 

And 99 times out of 100 if they're not good enough for Germany, Spain, England, etc then there's a very good chance they won't be a game changer for us either. Lose-lose for us more often than not. 

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 6:26pm

Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Mother. 

The Kristopher Quesada lad at Arsenal has an Irish mammy and it's recently came out that his father said they are using the FAI with the aim of playing for another country long-term!

The Irish mammy would want to dump that lad so Thumbs Down

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 6:35pm
Hes playing really well here. Almost scored with an identical goal to his last one vs Metz. His runs and movement off the ball is absolutely fantastic.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 7:16pm

You're being a tad disingenuous. Rice and Grealish were ultimately good enough to play for England. Ronan and Crowley flip-flopped back and forth depending on whether they were wanted by England or not; ultimately, they weren't good enough for England. Tom Field, currently playing for the mighty Cavalry FC in Canada, declined call ups because he had an eye on playing for England when he was still at Brentford. Liam Kelly similarly declined a call up for us when he was getting game time in the Championship. Now that his club career has progressed like a fart in an elevator, he is more open-minded about representing us. Armstrong Okoflex started playing for us through gritted teeth when it became apparent the rules would not allow him to deflect to England. Mipo Odubeko has continuously declined call ups and has refused to even personally communicate his intentions with Jim Crawford. Patrick Bamford last played for us at any level over a decade ago but has held out for England honours ever since.

I'm bad at Maths but I think that's more than 2. And that's off the top of my head.

The fact that there hasn't been more defections probably has more to do with lads like Simon Cox, Cyrus Christie, Callum O'Dowda and Richard Keogh being middling Championship standard players than it does any loyalty to the land of their forefathers.

Indeed Cyrus Christie, to his credit, came out and said that he was settling for us because he was realistic about his lack of England prospects.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 8:29pm

You're being a tad disingenuous. Rice and Grealish were ultimately good enough to play for England. Ronan and Crowley flip-flopped back and forth depending on whether they were wanted by England or not; ultimately, they weren't good enough for England. Tom Field, currently playing for the mighty Cavalry FC in Canada, declined call ups because he had an eye on playing for England when he was still at Brentford. Liam Kelly similarly declined a call up for us when he was getting game time in the Championship. Now that his club career has progressed like a fart in an elevator, he is more open-minded about representing us. Armstrong Okoflex started playing for us through gritted teeth when it became apparent the rules would not allow him to deflect to England. Mipo Odubeko has continuously declined call ups and has refused to even personally communicate his intentions with Jim Crawford. Patrick Bamford last played for us at any level over a decade ago but has held out for England honours ever since.

I'm bad at Maths but I think that's more than 2. And that's off the top of my head.

The fact that there hasn't been more defections probably has more to do with lads like Simon Cox, Cyrus Christie, Callum O'Dowda and Richard Keogh being middling Championship standard players than it does any loyalty to the land of their forefathers.

Indeed Cyrus Christie, to his credit, came out and said that he was settling for us because he was realistic about his lack of England prospects.

You could say the same about the hoard of players in the late 80s/early 90s. It is what it is and it really isn’t that deep. Kilbane of course stands out in that his household was Irish and that was it. He’s an exception mind. Rice of course was unique in that he played 3 friendlies and in fairness really shouldn’t have done so/switched once he’d played 3 games at senior level for us. 

Our issue has been we have been using this granny rule as a crutch not a supplement to producing decent homegrown talent here. Big encouragement is the amount of homegrown young players (under 21) we have in PL/Championship squads playing at least semi regularly. (Idah,Kelleher,O’Shea,Knight,Connolly,Omobamidele) etc. 

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 4:50am
Clinton Morrison is another who springs to mind. He once called for England to ' come and get him ' as a brash over-confident young gun but to his credit he fitted in quickly for Ireland when Mick McCarthy called him up. We all prefer the Seamus Coleman / James McClean types who take an intense pride in wearing the green but we cannot afford to be too sniffy unfortunately. Bit unfair to lump 'Mad' Richard Keogh in with some of the others, by the way. He may never have played above Championship level but he was always very proud of playing for Ireland.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 2:50pm
On the bench again vs Groningen in their final preseason game. Will no doubt be involved in the second half.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 6:53pm
On the bench for their DFB Cup game against Kaiserslautern tonight.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 7:15pm

On the bench for their DFB Cup game against Kaiserslautern tonight.

Was hoping he’d be on the bench and that he’d make his competitive debut tonight off it. Hopefully Gladbach are as expected winning this game with 25-30 minutes to go he will be more then likely to get a proper runout that way. 

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 7:42pm
Game is on premier sports 2   

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 6:32pm
On the bench for their league opener tonight vs Bayern Munich!

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 4:30pm
Came on in injury time today to make his debut for the club.

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 5:53pm
Borussia 6-0 down today at half time at home to Freiburg. Noss getting a few minutes for the first team in the Bundesliga recently probably not worth getting excited about judging by that scoreline (he's not in the squad today).

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Borussia 6-0 down today at half time at home to Freiburg. Noss getting a few minutes for the first team in the Bundesliga recently probably not worth getting excited about judging by that scoreline (he's not in the squad today).

Haven't really seen anything to really get excited about Noss. He's decent, but no major upgrade on anything we already have. 

I think a lot of his buzz is optics surrounding him playing for a biggish German side.

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 12:27pm

Haven't really seen anything to really get excited about Noss. He's decent, but no major upgrade on anything we already have. 

I think a lot of his buzz is optics surrounding him playing for a biggish German side.

Dont agree, he looks a very good technical creative player to me, perhaps he still needs to develop a bit more physically, but he looks like a very good footballer of a type Ireland has trouble producing. He looks a proper 10 in the making.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 12:47pm

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Dont agree, he looks a very good technical creative player to me, perhaps he still needs to develop a bit more physically, but he looks like a very good footballer of a type Ireland has trouble producing. He looks a proper 10 in the making.

Would agree with John on this, he has really good technical ability, great movement and can pick a pass. Still has a lot to improve on but potential to be a good player is there.

I would say Noss, Smallbone, johansson and Moran all occupy that creative position. Hopefully we can see at least one of them develop into a good player.

If only Hoolahan was 15 years younger... 

If only Andy Reid and Hoolahan weren't the same age.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 12:54pm
It's a bit mad that Hoolahan is older than Reid alright, as Reid's Ireland career was all but over by the time Hoolahan's properly started. They seem like players from two different eras but were both born in 1982.

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 9:28pm
Being linked with a loan move to Schalke according to some SM accounts.

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 1:20pm
Also wanted by FC Zurich, who are 1st in the Swiss Super League, but Schalke have an agreement with BM.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 1:31pm

Also wanted by FC Zurich, who are 1st in the Swiss Super League, but Schalke have an agreement with BM.

18 month loan to Schalke is pretty much done from what I've read. Makes the most sense with Gelsenkirchen being less than an hour away from Monchengladbach. He wont have to uproot and they can keep a very close eye on him.

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 2:02pm
Seems like a sensible move for him. I don't know much about the German second tier, would it maybe be somewhere between the English Championship and League 1 in terms of standard? Schalke would be one of the bigger teams in the division obviously.

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 2:13pm
Just hope there's a clause that he has to play X amount of minutes.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 3:47pm

Seems like a sensible move for him. I don't know much about the German second tier, would it maybe be somewhere between the English Championship and League 1 in terms of standard? Schalke would be one of the bigger teams in the division obviously.

The quality varies widely because its a small league and the teams are forever changing. 3 teams can get promoted and 3 teams can get relegated in a single season, meaning the following season could have 6 different teams in an 18 team league.

So you do have to be a regular follower of the league to get a good gauge of the quality year on year.

At present there are some traditionally big clubs there like Schalke, Werder Breman and Hamburg. It wasn't that long ago they were winning leagues/cups or finishing 2nd/3rd/4th and competing in Europe.

Yet they're all sitting mid table at present, mind theres only few points between places a win or two could see them back at the top end.

Its a competitive league on paper but without watching enough games its hard to say judge the over all quality. If I was to guess I'd say its probably is somewhere between Championship and League One. Probably like the Championship with less teams that sit mid table without ever gaining promotion and that avoid relegation every year.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 7:41pm
AZ Alkmaar are the new favourites for his signature according to this article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardbarker.com/soccer/articles/amp/exclusive_borussia_monchengladbach_attacker_set_to_leave_on_loan/s1_15953_36709484" rel="nofollow - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardbarker.com/soccer/articles/amp/exclusive_borussia_monchengladbach_attacker_set_to_leave_on_loan/s1_15953_36709484

-------------

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 7:45pm

AZ Alkmaar are the new favourites for his signature according to this article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardbarker.com/soccer/articles/amp/exclusive_borussia_monchengladbach_attacker_set_to_leave_on_loan/s1_15953_36709484" rel="nofollow - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardbarker.com/soccer/articles/amp/exclusive_borussia_monchengladbach_attacker_set_to_leave_on_loan/s1_15953_36709484
Also describes him as "Irish-born" so not sure how reliable it is

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 9:31pm
Massive win for Gladbach against Bayern tonight however Conor remained fully rooted to the bench.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Massive win for Gladbach against Bayern tonight however Conor remained fully rooted to the bench.

Was talk of him going to Schalke on loan this month a few weeks back but gone very quiet now.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 5:58pm
On in the 63rd minute with BM winning 1-0 against Mainz. That's his second appearance of the season.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 6:16pm
NOß throwing him self around up top. Poor game in general in what I've watched so far.

-------------

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 12:24pm
And not being picked in our U21 squads ... Ermm

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

And not being picked in our U21 squads ... Ermm

Maybe he didn't want to be picked? I remember him or Garcia-MacNulty, or maybe both, saying their intl future wasn't set in stone, implying that their birth countries would be their first choice all things being equal.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 12:45pm
He's wasn't in the squad as he was playing zero senior football.

Now, I am not saying he shouldn't be in the squad - I'd have him and OkoFlex in for sure, but I can understand their omission.

Now maybe he didn't want to be picked and if that's the case (it's pure speculation and mud-slinging, and some sticks regardless of the truth) then good luck to him.

Posted By: Pinginí
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 12:47pm
He's played every time he was called before, he's about a million miles away from the German squad and he wouldn't be cap-tied playing for the 21s. Nothing to read into, he just wasn't picked.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 3:04pm
Before the weekend he played ONE minute of football. ONE. As an injury time sub that didnt touch the ball.

..and because hes with the senior team week in/out he doesnt get to even play reserve team games or games of any description.

Im not sure how he could warrant a call up.

Posted By: SC92
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 4:03pm
Subbed on 69th minute. 2-2.

Date Posted: 11 May 2022 at 8:53pm
Scores against Ukraine tonight

-------------

Posted By: Greenie50
Date Posted: 11 May 2022 at 9:05pm
Call him up! He can do it again in June!

Seriously though, good to see him get a start & a goal. Should be involved with the U21s in a few weeks.

EDIT:
Full game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72keoAq7M3k" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72keoAq7M3k

He played well, didn't look out of place at all. Got the first 45'.
Technical, strong, mobile, energetic.
BM play the same 3421 formation we do and he slots right into that AM position (think Knight/Browne/McGrath) in the front 3.

His goal (25min 54sec in the above video) was well taken, intercepted a stray pass on the edge of the opposition box, shrugged off the challenge of a defender and slammed the ball in the top corner from 12 yards.

Almost had an assist too (42mins 50sec), picks up the ball on the halfway line and drives forward past the defender slips a pass through two more for the striker to finish, but the striker was offside.

He's clearly very capable, it'll be criminal if Crawford leaves him out again.

Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 4:07pm
Crawford's interview during the week had him talk about Spingett as a next-campaign player, and wanting to stick to the lads who have gotten us this far, for the last set of matches.

I dunno.
I don't think the U21's should be like this but should favour introducing whatever players are doing well now and getting lads involved.

I'm curious to see if the likes of Noss and Festy are in this next squad.

Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 4:28pm
I would agree. Especially when you can pick a 25 or 26 man squad, it's one thing if someone like Springett doesn't get straight into a fairly settled team and to be expected - but surely there could be a squad place for him? We're already missing 8 or 9 eligible players to the seniors, surely allowing for that we can't have so much depth that there isn't room for a lad starting Premier League games in the next 25 best players after that.

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 4:28pm

Crawford's interview during the week had him talk about Spingett as a next-campaign player, and wanting to stick to the lads who have gotten us this far, for the last set of matches.

I dunno.
I don't think the U21's should be like this but should favour introducing whatever players are doing well now and getting lads involved.

Could also be saying that because the paperwork hasn't been finalised, similar to Cashin back in March.

Posted By: SC92
Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 5:51pm

I dunno.

Crawford produces dull football and would rather players who put a shift in in the lower leagues/LoI.

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 5:54pm

I dunno.

Does this mean springett will be with other underage squads?

He's overage for the U19s and doubt we'll see another U20s squad.

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 6:36pm

I dunno.

Does this mean springett will be with other underage squads? He hasn't played for any international team for years, ireland u19s being the last call.

I honestly believe u21s are a feeder team to the seniors, he's in a much better position than someone like Kayode who is 22 and struggling to play in league 1 for Rotherham. 

Springett is 19, as is ollie O'Neil, odubeko and darragh Burns. 
I dont see how odubeko can come straight in but springett needs to wait.

Springett and Kayode play in different positions. Kayode also just got promoted to the Championship with Rotherham, so I'd hardly be hammering the lad that he didn't play every week.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 6:54pm
The subtext seems to be that Crawford should select players mainly based on who else they're eligible for.

In which case, do we drop Will Ferry from the squad to fit in Tony Springett?

I mean there's not much between them. Ferry's owned by a PL team who haven't been relegated and is coming off a good season with Crawley. So, if anything, he, for example, should remain in the squad ahead of Springett. Also English born so possesses the same flight risk. Ross Tierney is Dublin-born but is getting regular first team ball with Motherwell and has scored a couple of big goals. Do we unceremoniously drop him on this whim?

Seems very reactive.

There are loads of players who've played in the PL once or twice and fallen off the radar; Doran, Toner, Harriman, Grego-Cox.

People should just cool their jets sometimes.

-------------

Posted By: KingKenny
Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 7:06pm

@oshea. Keyode really doesn't look like he's going to have an international career with ireland. Happy to be proved wrong but 

He's played 20 times in league1 for rotherham this season. Starting 11 on 6 occasions but hasn't once completed 90mins. He has one goal..

Hes played for ireland u21s on 11 ocassions and really hasn't looked anything but a strong lad up front.

Yes he plays as a different type of attacking player than Springett but that doesn't mean that can't be in competition for a place in the team.

Not just a different type but a different position too. From what I've seen Springett isn't going to be the type of player to lead the line

Posted By: KingKenny
Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 8:14pm

Originally posted by KingKenny KingKenny wrote:

@oshea. Keyode really doesn't look like he's going to have an international career with ireland. Happy to be proved wrong but 

He's played 20 times in league1 for rotherham this season. Starting 11 on 6 occasions but hasn't once completed 90mins. He has one goal..

Hes played for ireland u21s on 11 ocassions and really hasn't looked anything but a strong lad up front.

Yes he plays as a different type of attacking player than Springett but that doesn't mean that can't be in competition for a place in the team.

Not just a different type but a different position too. From what I've seen Springett isn't going to be the type of player to lead the line

Springett plays a more wide position and Kayode leads the line.... so what?

Kayode leads the line.. but badly. Hes ineffective in pretty much every game I've seen him play. 

What I'm proposing is swap a forward player who's proven ineffective with one that has the potential to be effective... 

You plan on playing without a striker? There's no point dropping a striker for another winger. Our senior squad would be 22 CBs and Josh Cullen if we were using that logic.

Kayode has been effective for us this campaign 3/3 wins with him starting. 1/4 without him. Striker mightn't be the strongest position in our team but Kayode has done the best out of all of them this campaign (although I think Odubeko could prove better if he gets more games)

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 9:01pm

Kayode may well not play for the senior team, but he is a centre forward and Springett is a wide midfielder. They simply aren't competing for the same spot. I'd disagree with saying Kayode has been completely ineffective too, as mentioned the 21's have a better record when plays, and in the most recent game against Sweden he got the knock on for Wright's goal. 

Speaking of Wright, it's probably actually him that Springett is in direct competition with.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 9:20pm

None of the strikers look anything special in Crawfords system. Whoever it is up top has generally just been isolated and struggled to get in the games - Kayode, Whelan, Ferguson, Obafemi, Odubeko, Afolabi, it's all been the same under Crawford.

Our top scorers in the campaign are Coventry (2) & Wright (2). Our DEFENSIVE midfielder is our joint top scorer. Let that sink in.

Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 9:24pm
Jaysus I thought Noss scored a last minute winner or something, 15 new posts and only 1 about him LOL

Was he injured today anyway? Strange that he wasn't even on the bench.

Posted By: Heimatklange
Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Scores against Ukraine tonight
Well taken goal it has to be said.

Date Posted: 14 May 2022 at 9:30pm

Jaysus I thought Noss scored a last minute winner or something, 15 new posts and only 1 about him LOL

Was he injured today anyway? Strange that he wasn't even on the bench.

Joe Hodge thread must have about 500 posts by now.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 10:57am
Daniel Farke the new Monchengladbach manager. He brought Omobamidele and Idah through, wonder will he fancy Noss?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 10:59am
Even better if he were to take the two lads to Germany Big smile

Noss is a tidy-looking, technical player, and could come on for a run of matches.
Hard to know where his ceiling is but I'd like to see him start again v Italy tomorrow.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:16am
Rumour has it he was going on loan to Schalke in January. A regular run of games would have done him the power of good. 

Going to be intriguing to see what the club actually do with him ahead of this season. Surely can't have him warming the bench without much to no gametime again. 

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 9:11pm
Didn't get on with BM trailing 0-3 today. Was heavily linked with a loan move coming up on this time last year but it failed to materialise. Hopefully he gets out of there in January. At an age where he needs to start playing football.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 9:16pm
Scored a hat-trick vs BGMs Legends team last weekend.

Might get a few games over the next few weeks if Thuram is given some time off, but hopefully he gets a loan. 22 next month, needs to be somewhere starting every week.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 8:49am
Has apparently been dropped from the first team squad and sent back to train with the Under 23s. Clearly Daniel Farke doesn't rate him.

He's 22 now and looks to have stayed too long at Borussia. Will hopefully move on in the summer but probably not to a high level. It's a shame as he didn't look out of place in our Under 21s.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net