YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Replies:
Posted By: max
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 10:26am
Anyone on here going to the final? 

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 10:29am
I walked into the spare room in the gaff and I saw an Italian scarf on the floor that my wife got in Bari off an Italian fan. I’m taking that as a good omen.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 10:29am
1-0 Italia.

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 10:34am
Italy are 2/1 Shocked. I'll be on Italy -1.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 10:41am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Italy are 2/1 Shocked. I'll be on Italy -1.

2/1 

Bit on the high side 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 10:42am
Any Italy win will do but love to see them beat the Tans by 2 or 3

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 11:16am
Italy on pens

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 11:27am
Hate myself for saying this but 2-1 to the English in extra time ............... And i will be hearing all about this until the day i die Cry

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 11:59am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

In the absence of ZK abandoning his duty, lets get the ball rolling

FORZA ITALIA!
So he didn’t abandon it? Embarrassed

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 12:50pm
Mr T Pain Quotes. QuotesGram

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Sharpshooter
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Hate myself for saying this but 2-1 to the English in extra time ............... And i will be hearing all about this until the day i die Cry

England will likely be winning another tournament in our lifetime anyway, its unrealistic to think otherwise given its once every two years.  I'm 34, if I'm lucky to live to a very old age that's potentially another 30 tournaments.

Personally I'd prefer them to win the euros over the World Cup, the euros are a regional tournament after all, previously won by the Soviet Union, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Denmark, Greece and Portugal.  If England win it they'll be the 11th different winner in 16 tournaments.

I don't think this will be as bad as people think.  It will be awful for the first year or so right enough, but the World Cup is coming round in 16 months and the English press wont be settling for a one off euros victory, they'll want total domination, and if they don't make at least to the final in either in 2022 or 2024, knives will be out.

A lot of people used to say this about their 2003 Rugby World Cup win, or Murray winning Wimbledon, 2012 Olympics, 2005 Ashes/2019 Cricket World Cup, but we've lived with all those.

having said that I really think Italy can win this, much more upbeat about this than I was for Germany, Ukraine, or Denmark, a lot of people here were much optimistic about those games than I was.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Sharpshooter Sharpshooter wrote:

England will likely be winning another tournament in our lifetime anyway, its unrealistic to think otherwise given its once every two years.  I'm 34, if I'm lucky to live to a very old age that's potentially another 30 tournaments.

Personally I'd prefer them to win the euros over the World Cup, the euros are a regional tournament after all, previously won by the Soviet Union, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Denmark, Greece and Portugal.  If England win it they'll be the 11th different winner in 16 tournaments.

I don't think this will be as bad as people think.  It will be awful for the first year or so right enough, but the World Cup is coming round in 16 months and the English press wont be settling for a one off euros victory, they'll want total domination, and if they don't make at least to the final in either in 2022 or 2024, knives will be out.

A lot of people used to say this about their 2003 Rugby World Cup win, or Murray winning Wimbledon, 2012 Olympics, 2005 Ashes/2019 Cricket World Cup, but we've lived with all those.

having said that I really think Italy can win this, much more upbeat about this than I was for Germany, Ukraine, or Denmark, a lot of people here were much optimistic about those games than I was.

You obviously don’t know how ancient Murph is. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 1:05pm

I fancy Italy to take it. Won’t bother me if England do it but would rather Italy do it.  Even if it’s just for the sweet Caroline nonsense.  
Have a couple of sound English mates and wouldn’t begrudge them the win to be honest. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 1:10pm
went with Italy from the start and not changing now

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 1:16pm

I don't think this will be as bad as people think. It will be awful for the first year or so right enough, but the World Cup is coming round in 16 months and the English press wont be settling for a one off euros victory, they'll want total domination, and if they don't make at least to the final in either in 2022 or 2024, knives will be out.

The concern I would have is that once they get a tournament win under their belts the monkey will be off the back and total domination, considering the players they have, would potentially be on the table. As I've said before even this team, through to the final and getting lauded from all angles by the UK media, have not looked like they've actually enjoyed any of the games and are visibly straining under the pressure. That first tournament win could be a real game changer for them in terms of mentality and it's a big enough worry when you consider the players they have coming through at the moment.

Having said all that we've been pretty spoiled over the last few decades with their consistent underachievement/bottling so this is probably due at this stage.

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 1:18pm

Best of luck to England i really hope they win it now. A great team i think this is their time.

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 1:22pm
They absolutely should go on about it for as long as they like fans and media sure we didn't even win a game at Italia 90 and I hear about that regularly.

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: ChesterCopperpot
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 1:25pm
http://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/american-football/england-charged-by-uefa-over-laser-pointed-at-schmeichel-before-kane-penalty/ar-AALUR5E?li=BBr5HCV" rel="nofollow - https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/american-football/england-charged-by-uefa-over-laser-pointed-at-schmeichel-before-kane-penalty/ar-AALUR5E?li=BBr5HCV

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 1:28pm
ITV are showing the Italian Job before the match in a change to their schedule I kid you f**king not Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/american-football/england-charged-by-uefa-over-laser-pointed-at-schmeichel-before-kane-penalty/ar-AALUR5E?li=BBr5HCV" rel="nofollow - https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/american-football/england-charged-by-uefa-over-laser-pointed-at-schmeichel-before-kane-penalty/ar-AALUR5E?li=BBr5HCV

what bants will they bring to Budapest and Warsaw in September?

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

The concern I would have is that once they get a tournament win under their belts the monkey will be off the back and total domination, considering the players they have, would potentially be on the table. As I've said before even this team, through to the final and getting lauded from all angles by the UK media, have not looked like they've actually enjoyed any of the games and are visibly straining under the pressure. That first tournament win could be a real game changer for them in terms of mentality and it's a big enough worry when you consider the players they have coming through at the moment.

Having said all that we've been pretty spoiled over the last few decades with their consistent underachievement/bottling so this is probably due at this stage.

In fairness, this would be the product of the work done over the past decade where they have revolutionised the way football is played in the country. Things like fitness, diet, player development, recruitment etc were focussed on and Southgate is the bridge between the young and the old, after his stint with the Under 21s. Its worth digging deep into the whole st George's Park project to explain how they have got this far. A noteworthy point from last night was after 90 minutes England had made one change, the Danish had made five, yet England looked like they could play for another 90 (and even hooked their first sub). Its the type of approach that made teams like the New Zealand rugby team, or at local level the Dublin GAA as outstanding as they are. It relies on fitness, and high performance to upgrade on the high levels of player talent. Its not just a reliance on raw talent anymore, and the Belgians have made strides on this, although age and fitness did impact them this time round.

You just need to look at the layers of talent they have available to them, if they need to alternate, or responds to different circumstances, and with the EPL stronger in terms of European competition, more and more players are going to have access to high level games, at club level, and moves to teams that will have that on a consistent basis. Even if they dont win this, there is a different culture around English football, and it is an effort to be better on fronts other than just skill. Modern sports is responding to that, and England are the fast adapters.

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

In fairness, this would be the product of the work done over the past decade where they have revolutionised the way football is played in the country. Things like fitness, diet, player development, recruitment etc were focussed on and Southgate is the bridge between the young and the old, after his stint with the Under 21s. Its worth digging deep into the whole st George's Park project to explain how they have got this far. A noteworthy point from last night was after 90 minutes England had made one change, the Danish had made five, yet England looked like they could play for another 90 (and even hooked their first sub). Its the type of approach that made teams like the New Zealand rugby team, or at local level the Dublin GAA as outstanding as they are. It relies on fitness, and high performance to upgrade on the high levels of player talent. Its not just a reliance on raw talent anymore, and the Belgians have made strides on this, although age and fitness did impact them this time round.

You just need to look at the layers of talent they have available to them, if they need to alternate, or responds to different circumstances, and with the EPL stronger in terms of European competition, more and more players are going to have access to high level games, at club level, and moves to teams that will have that on a consistent basis. Even if they dont win this, there is a different culture around English football, and it is an effort to be better on fronts other than just skill. Modern sports is responding to that, and England are the fast adapters.

Sterling must have some levels of fitness, still skinning men in the 120th minute

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 1:46pm
If Italy play like they did in the group stages and against Belgium they will win.

The performances against Austria and Spain showed they can have off days tho so hopefully they turn up.

Italy will be the best team England have played by far and I think there is more pressure on them to win.

Please don’t f**k this up VAR. Too many home teams in major tournaments have won because of dodgy decisions.

Italy to win by more than wan. 

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 1:57pm

Yeah I'm the same. This "we'll never hear the end of it" rubbish is overblown. Avoid the Sun and the Daily Mail and you'll be grand. A few weeks the Premier League will start again and we'll be back on Sky who will have no interest in reminding us of it. 

I've a lot of friends/family in the UK, football fans who support non-big 4 teams, Leeds fans, West Ham fans, Reading fans who have never seen their team win anything in their lifetime. We've all had successes to celebrate between our LOI team, our county winning All-Irelands, United/Arsenal/Liverpool fans winning Champions Leagues/Premier Leagues. I don't begrudge the average English football fan if it does happen. It's bound to happen eventually, as you say, better it be the regional tournament in a year that we weren't involved anyway.

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 1:58pm

I don't think this will be as bad as people think. It will be awful for the first year or so right enough, but the World Cup is coming round in 16 months and the English press wont be settling for a one off euros victory, they'll want total domination, and if they don't make at least to the final in either in 2022 or 2024, knives will be out.

Nah I don't think they'll dominate, there a good side but there's nothing that says to me they'll emulate what France 98-00 or Spain 08-12 did, they're nowhere near the quality of those teams.  If they win this its because they're at home and they've had lady luck shining on them.

Yes they may get the monkey off their back, so it might not be another 55 years before they win another tournament or get to another final, but if I had money I would say if they win this it will be Kane and Sterling's only international trophy.

I also expect Germany to bounce back quickly, Low was the problem primarily, they looked broken and had no desire, but I think Flick who's an excellent manager will get them back to serious contenders, at least by 2024.

It reminds me as Utd fan fretting over Liverpool winning the league, we'll never hear the end of it, and then talk of domination under Klopp once they get the monkey off their back, its early days but it looks like that's not happening thank f**k.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

In the absence of ZK abandoning his duty, lets get the ball rolling

FORZA ITALIA!
So he didn’t abandon it? Embarrassed

Embarrassed

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 2:03pm
As for dominating for years, they've a lot to prove before we start talking about that, they got to a WC semi without beating anyone in the top 15 in the world, and now a Euros final without beating anyone in the top 6 in the Euro rankings. 

They can only beat what's put in front of them, but they won't get draws like Sweden - Colombia and Ukraine - Denmark forever.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I'm the same. This "we'll never hear the end of it" rubbish is overblown. Avoid the Sun and the Daily Mail and you'll be grand. A few weeks the Premier League will start again and we'll be back on Sky who will have no interest in reminding us of it. 

I've a lot of friends/family in the UK, football fans who support non-big 4 teams, Leeds fans, West Ham fans, Reading fans who have never seen their team win anything in their lifetime. We've all had successes to celebrate between our LOI team, our county winning All-Irelands, United/Arsenal/Liverpool fans winning Champions Leagues/Premier Leagues. I don't begrudge the average English football fan if it does happen. It's bound to happen eventually, as you say, better it be the regional tournament in a year that we weren't involved anyway.

Teams and supporters only ride the crest of the wave for so long, and at that point it is up to the team to win further prizes, or take their place amongst the runners up. If they win, they will enjoy it, and like you say, it becomes hard to begrudge a lot of them. As you say, much of the England support is actually drawn from teams outside of the top table, and in many cases further down the leagues. Look at the flags that appear, they are often emblazoned with the names of lower league teams, or even place names where there is no football team of note.

Like you say, give the usual suspects in the media the swerve, and it will be fine.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 2:25pm

As for dominating for years, they've a lot to prove before we start talking about that, they got to a WC semi without beating anyone in the top 15 in the world, and now a Euros final without beating anyone in the top 6 in the Euro rankings. 

They can only beat what's put in front of them, but they won't get draws like Sweden - Colombia and Ukraine - Denmark forever.

I'm sure a lot us of thought Spain would continue to dominate after 2012 for another couple of tournaments, but it's not that easy. Everything has to line up perfectly for a team to win a tournament, never mind 2 or 3 in a row. 

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I'm the same. This "we'll never hear the end of it" rubbish is overblown. Avoid the Sun and the Daily Mail and you'll be grand. A few weeks the Premier League will start again and we'll be back on Sky who will have no interest in reminding us of it. 

Teams and supporters only ride the crest of the wave for so long, and at that point it is up to the team to win further prizes, or take their place amongst the runners up. If they win, they will enjoy it, and like you say, it becomes hard to begrudge a lot of them. As you say, much of the England support is actually drawn from teams outside of the top table, and in many cases further down the leagues. Look at the flags that appear, they are often emblazoned with the names of lower league teams, or even place names where there is no football team of note.

Like you say, give the usual suspects in the media the swerve, and it will be fine.
100% Tosh , lads they will never stop talking about it it will always come up as poped in to conversation . I remember seeing the 1966 final from home and Sunday it will all start again if they win it . Always have a bit of a poke at a lad i know on a Burnley football site when he says it never gets taked about and every time it does i bring it up , it was 55 years ago .
As for English lads from lower leagues simple really they have the holidays and cash to travel as the big six club fans follow their clubs in europe as has always been the case .
A  good friend of mine who travelled with England for many years said all you need is two things , time and money .
 Come to think of it i may give up watching Ireland if Galway United become league champions it would be great watching them around europe , hummmm we all have dreams Tongue

-------------

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 11:45pm
Mancini’s tactically the far better of the two managers...that alone will win Italy this match.

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

ITV are showing the Italian Job before the match in a change to their schedule I kid you f**king not Embarrassed
Good, because if you remember the last scene in that film the truck is hanging off the edge of the mountain, and the you can see in the face of their leader appropriately named Kane, that they have came to the edge of glory but he knows they are doomed to fail......f**k Mr Bridger

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 9:55am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Mancini’s tactically the far better of the two managers...that alone will win Italy this match.

The Brits are saying that he's got a bad record at Wembley as he lost the 92 European Cup final there when playing for Sampdoria, and the 2013 FA Cup final to Wigan.

He did win the FA Cup semis against United and Final against Stoke in 2011 to win City their first trophy in 25 years, so nothing to be read into that

Posted By: Englishborn
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

The Brits are saying that he's got a bad record at Wembley as he lost the 92 European Cup final there when playing for Sampdoria, and the 2013 FA Cup final to Wigan.

He did win the FA Cup semis against United and Final against Stoke in 2011 to win City their first trophy in 25 years, so nothing to be read into that

English not BRITS

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

English not BRITS
Either way they’re ****s

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 10:50am
It'll be interesting to see how the midfields fare. Both were completely overrun in the semi finals. If Rice/Philips can get a handle on Verrati/Jorginho, they'll be well on their way

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 11:16am
Sterling 2/1 favourite and Kane 5/2 for player of the tournament

Chiesa is a nice price 10/1, if Italy wins and he scores on Sunday he could get it

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 11:22am

RB - does Sterling ever take free kicks for City? Remember on Wednesday night he took one shortly after Denmark scored and I couldn't recall ever seeing him take one before.

Posted By: Jimmy Raggatip
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 11:31am
Anyone else quite worried that they'll win it? :(

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 11:48am

RB - does Sterling ever take free kicks for City? Remember on Wednesday night he took one shortly after Denmark scored and I couldn't recall ever seeing him take one before.

The odd one but not very often. 
They usually don't trouble the keeper, but i seem to remember him scoring one, i could be totally wrong on that

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Definitely

I think its 50-50, the home crowd as well as the fitness and pace throughout their team is worrying

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 11:51am

" Worried" does not come close , just feel for the Irish lads who live in England Ouch

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 12:12pm

The odd one but not very often. 
They usually don't trouble the keeper, but i seem to remember him scoring one, i could be totally wrong on that

Did he not score one last season? I seem to remember laughing at the thought of him taking one then he scored, but he’s not a very good striker of the ball.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 12:17pm
Aye that was it, googled it. Home to Crystal Palace last season he scored one
I knew he'd scored one over the years

Agree, his technique when shooting is very poor at times for all his good attributes 

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 12:20pm

Bookies have them as slight favourites.

England and Britain in general have an excellent track record of sporting success on home soil.

1966 World Cup
2012 Summer Olympics success
2019 Cricket World Cup
Andy Murray's 2 out of his 3 majors were at Wimbledon.

Rugby doesn't seem to follow this pattern although they made the final in 91

Being at home is a massive advantage for them and turns them into sporting winners.  They were a penalty shootout away from probably winning Euro 96 as well.

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 12:23pm

Bookies have them as slight favourites.

England and Britain in general have an excellent track record of sporting success on home soil.

1966 World Cup
2012 Summer Olympics success
2019 Cricket World Cup
Andy Murray's 2 out of his 3 majors were at Wimbledon.

Rugby doesn't seem to follow this pattern although they made the final in 91

Being at home is a massive advantage for them and turns them into sporting winners.  They were a penalty shootout away from probably winning Euro 96 as well.

who's to say the czechs wouldn't have beaten them in the final. they did after all take the germans to extra time having initally taken the lead in the 90.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 12:25pm
2 major finals in their history for a football mad country with that population, who've had one of the best leagues in the world on many periods over that time is a pitiful return

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 12:38pm
Some lad who claims to be from the future and correctly predicted England would beat Ukraine 4-0 and Denmark 2-1 says Italy will win the final 

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Some lad who claims to be from the future and correctly predicted England would beat Ukraine 4-0 and Denmark 2-1 says Italy will win the final 

Marty Shocked

-------------

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 12:43pm

Yeah, that's actually me. Ireland will qualify the WC and go on to win it, beating Costa Rica in the final on penalties also.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 12:46pm

2 major finals in their history for a football mad country with that population, who've had one of the best leagues in the world on many periods over that time is a pitiful return

It is.  England are part of what I would call the 'big 5' in Europe.  Germany, France, Spain, Italy, England.  All have populations close to or over 50 million, the 5 biggest leagues in Europe, all with world class stadia, facilities and resources.  Looking the World Cup/Euro wins for each:

Germany  4 WC's 3 Euros
Italy  4 WC's 1 Euros
France 2 WC's 2 Euros
Spain 1 WC 3 Euros
England 1 WC

Might well add to that on Sunday of course, but they have to improve on that.  Thats who they should compare themselves to.  Those countries all should be winning tournaments once every 20 years minimum IMO.

So the challenge for England after this will be to improve their tournament win ratio, one win every 60 years isn't acceptable for a country of their size.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 12:56pm

English not BRITS

So Englishborn what are your thoughts for the final?  I know its quite tough reading these forums as an England fan lol, but I'll be the first one to congratulate people like yourself if they pull this off.

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 1:06pm

English not BRITS

It's an Irish forum so, its Brits. And I don't mean that in an offensive way either. I have English friends and I call them Brits all the time. Just like the Brits call us Paddys, who gives a f*ck.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 1:47pm

It is.  England are part of what I would call the 'big 5' in Europe.  Germany, France, Spain, Italy, England.  All have populations close to or over 50 million, the 5 biggest leagues in Europe, all with world class stadia, facilities and resources.  Looking the World Cup/Euro wins for each:

Germany  4 WC's 3 Euros
Italy  4 WC's 1 Euros
France 2 WC's 2 Euros
Spain 1 WC 3 Euros
England 1 WC

Might well add to that on Sunday of course, but they have to improve on that.  Thats who they should compare themselves to.  Those countries all should be winning tournaments once every 20 years minimum IMO.

So the challenge for England after this will be to improve their tournament win ratio, one win every 60 years isn't acceptable for a country of their size.

Also a point to add all of those other countries have won the World Cup on foreign soil, Germany and Spain the only 2 to do it on another continent.

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 5:35pm

No worse than that of Spain, before the emergence of their Golden Generation a decade and a bit ago.

For example, in the 15 World Cups they entered before 2010, they failed to qualify 4 times (1954, 1958, 1970 and 1974) and when they did, never got beyond the Quarter Finals, barring 1950 in Brazil, when they finished 4th.

However, that year they qualified simply with a win and a draw againbst Portugal and once they got there, the competition was weakened by withdrawals and boycotts eg Werst Germany, Argentina, Peru, France, plus USSR and the Soviet Bloc countries.

Nor did they make anything of home advantage in 1982, when they finished 2nd in the Group behind you-know-who, eventually limping to a 12th place finish.

While their record in the Euro's was no better. For example, they failed to qualify for 5 of the first 12 editions. Granted they won it in 1964, but to qualify they only had to win 3 two-legged ties vs Romania, NI and ROI, and once they got to the four team finals, they only had to win a semi vs v Hungary and a final vs USSR (Denmark were the fourth team).

Granted they were Runners-Up in an enlarged 1984 finals, but until they actually won it in 2008, their Euro's record was shabby enough too.

The point being that having finally got their act together ealy this century, they've gone on to become a powerhouse in the world game.

Meaning that there must be a lot of other countries hoping that 2021 doesn't become a springboard for England' under Southgate, the way 2008 was for Spain under Aragones.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 5:45pm
Re the above post, I might add that France's record prior to the late 1990's was pretty weak, too.

Anyhow, what I came on here to post before I allowed myself to become distracted(!) was that I think Sunday will go to extra-time, maybe even penalties.

And I wouldn't like to predict which team will eventually prevail, since I don't think there's much between them.

However if forced, I might just plump for England, on the basis that Spain woulod have beaten Italy in the semi-final had they just had a decent finisher, meaning that Kane and/or Sterling might just make the difference?

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 6:36pm
Ceferin has announced this multi venue tournament will not be repeated ClapClap

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

It's to be expected.

If it was suggested again it would've got shot down straight away I'd imagine. 

Would love if Italy hosted Euro 2028. Turkey have confirmed a bid along with Greece/Romania/Serbia & Bulgaria as a 4 country hosted tournament. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 12:22am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

It's to be expected.

Would love if Italy hosted Euro 2028. Turkey have confirmed a bid along with Greece/Romania/Serbia & Bulgaria as a 4 country hosted tournament. 

I'd say Turkey might get it this time, they've bid 5 times in a row though if Italy do decide to go for it I'd say they'd be favourites 

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 12:32am

It's to be expected.

I'd say Turkey might get it this time, they've bid 5 times in a row though if Italy do decide to go for it I'd say they'd be favourites 

Turkey will never get it sure that's why the came up with the idea for this one so they wouldn't have to give it to them by default as they were originally the only bidders. If Spain or Italy go for it it'll be one of them. (Spanish haven't held a tournament since the 1982 WC)

-------------

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 1:19am

It's to be expected.

Turkey will never get it sure that's why the came up with the idea for this one so they wouldn't have to give it to them by default as they were originally the only bidders. If Spain or Italy go for it it'll be one of them. (Spanish haven't held a tournament since the 1982 WC)
Apparently Spain's bid would be a joint one with Portugal according to Wikipedia anyway. Would be a nice one to qualify for. Clap

Next one in Germany should be a good one anyway. 

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 10:54am
Not sure which Euro 2020 thread to post on, so putting it here.

I went to the Italy vs. Spain Semi Final at Wembley on Tuesday and bought a souvenir mug.  Looking at it now I've only just noticed;  Is that... The Aviva Stadium?!? LOL  And that's The Spire and the GPO in front of it?!?

https://postimages.org/" rel="nofollow">

Not only could UEFA not be bothered to changed the name of the tournament to Euro 2021, they left in graphics for host cities no longer staging games.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 11:26am

Germany  4 WC's 3 Euros
Italy  4 WC's 1 Euros
France 2 WC's 2 Euros
Spain 1 WC 3 Euros
England 1 WC

It just shows what a terrible record England have and especially if you just look at the last 50 years. 

I think the final is 50/50 but hoping the extra pressure on England means Italy win this by 2. 

I don’t get the other posts saying England will win a major tournament in our lifetime. Does that mean Russia / Denmark and Greece etc will also win another?  You have to earn them. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

It just shows what a terrible record England have and especially if you just look at the last 50 years.

No doubt, but as I posted earlier, it's really no worse than were eg France until the late 90's, or Spain until the Noughties.

And with both those countries using those periods as a springboard to a whole new level, I feel that win or lose tomorrow, England are showing real signs of (finally) doing so themselves.

In no particular order:

St. Georges Park/Youth development
PL club dominance of Europe
Foreign coaches/ideas imported
Club Academies
Southgate
Money/Resources/Facilities
Sports science/medical/fitness
Media/Fan expectation management
Supportive government (sensing reflective glory, no doubt)

And dare I say it, even the old crusties in the FA might just have wakened up to the 21st century?

I don’t get the other posts saying England will win a major tournament in our lifetime. Does that mean Russia / Denmark and Greece etc will also win another?  You have to earn them. 

Semi Finalists in 2018, Finalists in 2021, Winners in....  ?

Clear progress on display and with a very young set-up, both on and on the field, there's no obvious reason why this can't/won't continue (other than that football doesn't always work like that)

Posted By: theleprechaun
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 10:40am
Post deleted

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 4:43pm
A lot of people won't be supporting England tonight but as someone who lived there for 10+ years and has an English wife and many English friends and colleagues, I for one will be cheering loudly as they pick up their runner-up medals this evening. 

-------------

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 4:56pm

A lot of people won't be supporting England tonight but as someone who lived there for 10+ years and has an English wife and many English friends and colleagues, I for one will be cheering loudly as they pick up their runner-up medals this evening. 
LOL

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 4:58pm

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 4:59pm

-------------

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 5:08pm

ClapLOL

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 5:10pm
LOLLOLLOL

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 5:29pm

A lot of people won't be supporting England tonight but as someone who lived there for 10+ years and has an English wife and many English friends and colleagues, I for one will be cheering loudly as they pick up their runner-up medals this evening. before picking up my teeth after my wife is finished with me

Fixed. Wink

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 5:42pm
England are bookies favourites:

Winner:
England - 1.8
Italy - 2.2

Hard to see past England really.  Their momentum is massive with the wind behind their sails its going to take some performance and some bottle from Italy to beat them in front of that crowd.

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 6:11pm
I don't buy the momentum thing at all. Sure Italy are 33 unbeaten. They have even more momentum!

I don't buy the crowd thing either. Won't take much til the boos come out Clap

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 6:16pm
At it already I see

https://mobile.twitter.com/LeftWingSociety/status/1414265096839311362" rel="nofollow - https://mobile.twitter.com/LeftWingSociety/status/1414265096839311362

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 6:19pm

At it already I see

https://mobile.twitter.com/LeftWingSociety/status/1414265096839311362" rel="nofollow - https://mobile.twitter.com/LeftWingSociety/status/1414265096839311362
What else would you expect from a pig but a grunt

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 6:29pm
England odds shortening still, now down to 1.76 on betfair, Italy at 2.3, the hype just builds and builds.

I don't personally think England will play badly, so Italy will have to play very well to win this.  England played very well in the Euro 96 semi and it took and very mentally strong German team to knock them out.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 6:36pm

England odds shortening still, now down to 1.76 on betfair, Italy at 2.3, the hype just builds and builds.

I don't personally think England will play badly, so Italy will have to play very well to win this.  England played very well in the Euro 96 semi and it took and very mentally strong German team to knock them out.

Where you from Sharpshooter? 
You are very pro Ingerland. 

Odds favour England as the brits are beating heavy on themselves as is their culture.

Italy have the better manager and I think they will handle the occasion better and that’s why they will win.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 6:42pm

Where you from Sharpshooter? 
You are very pro Ingerland. 

Odds favour England as the brits are beating heavy on themselves as is their culture.

Italy have the better manager and I think they will handle the occasion better and that’s why they will win.

I live in Omagh lol.  Maybe because I live up north I literally consume the UK media which is basically indoctrinating me to believe that they're going to win, they did the same for the semi final against Croatia.

I'd much prefer to watch it RTE but I can't, I have to try to watch it on mute here.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

At it already I see

What else would you expect from a pig but a grunt
couple of red cards there - that Steward has the look of a junior div 3 corner back to me.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 7:15pm
Trippier at RWB...Southgate playing the long game and trying to win it late...

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 7:25pm
@andylines
There are terrible scenes at Gate F.  Crushing, fans trying to storm in.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 7:34pm
Think Pickford will do something special tonight.......

-------------

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 7:51pm
Declan and Jack could be playing for Eire in the final right now. 

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 7:52pm
BBC saying these are the best 2 teams. I’d say Belgium is better than England. 

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

BBC saying these are the best 2 teams. I’d say Belgium is better than England. 

I doubt England would have beaten Belgium or the Spain who turned up in the 1/2 final. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:03pm
f**k

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:03pm
Italy overhyped and overrated.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:04pm

Calm down tan boy

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:05pm
This will end up 3-0

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:06pm

30 odd games unbeaten so far until tonight so hardly either of the above

-------------

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:14pm
Italy all over the place! Mancini needs to change formation or something 

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

This will end up 3-0

People completely underestimate home advantage.

A garbage Russia side were a penalty shootout away from getting to the semi final in 2018.

Think South Korea and how close they were in 2002.

I always felt if England made at least the semi's when the format was first announced they might win it.

The hype will build for 2022 and 2024, but I don't think they'll win either of those.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:17pm

30 odd games unbeaten so far until tonight so hardly either of the above

Teams are ultimately judged on trophies.  Records like that don't mean much if you don't win anything.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:21pm

This will end up 3-0

Home advantage means an awful lot.

A garbage Russia side were a penalty shootout away from getting to the semi final in 2018.

I always felt if England made at least the semi's when the format was first announced they might win it.

Always felt they would win it.  When Muller missed that sitter I knew their name was on the cup.

-------------

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:23pm

This will end up 3-0
Agreed.

All over the place Italy

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:23pm
Without Jourgino I don’t think Italy stand a chance

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:25pm

This will end up 3-0

Home advantage means an awful lot.

Always felt they would win it.  When Muller missed that sitter I knew their name was on the cup.

But I really don't think they would have won this if they weren't at home.

They've had 3 tournaments on home soil, potentially 2 wins and one semi final which they lost on pens.  That's a really good record.

Outside of England though I don't think they're tournament winners.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:28pm
I think France, Portugal, Spain, and Belgium are all stronger than England. Probably Italy as well. But with England’s easy draw and home field advantage, they have an easy path to win which is all anyone cares about. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net