Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57847
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 2:18am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Euro 2020: Group D CRO, CZP, ENG, SCO
Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Subject: Euro 2020: Group D CRO, CZP, ENG, SCO
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 7:54am
England and Croatia will easily qualify. 

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 8:26am
Lots of storylines in this group.

England/Scotland rivalry
Rematch of 2018 WC Semifinal between England/Croatia
Scotland/Czechs has some bad blood from the Rangers/Slavia racism this season

Tough to see past and England/Croatia 1-2 but Czechs may be a surprise team. Their West Ham lads had a great season, as did Slavia Prague in Europe knocking off Leicester etc

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 9:39am
the weather could be a big factor on Sunday. the heatwave in London is about to crank up a notch with temps up to 30 degrees forecasted on Sunday.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: dundon13
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 10:47am
I dont think it will be that easy for the Croatians, I think the English will win all 3 games and the other 2 will cause trouble, I reckon Scotland might sneak out in second

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 1:19pm
I think Scotland playing at Hampden could see them sneak through.

England should finish top but you know how England usually fall apart if they're hyped up.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 1:22pm
Definitely more hype around England this time than there was in 2018, but even at that I get the vibe its cautious enough. On paper, I think England have consistent quality (apart from between the sticks), but I'd still fancy France or Portugal in a tight one.

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 1:26pm
If England lose or even draw the first match the media are going to crack the pressure up to unbearable levels. 

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

If England lose or even draw the first match the media are going to crack the pressure up to unbearable levels. 

This.

England obviously have one of the best forwards (in Kane) in the competition. I think they'll rely heavily on Set Pieces again as they did in the World Cup.

I just don't see the likes of France,Germany, Portugal even Croatia and Czech Rep looking at England and thinking they couldn't find gaps in the England defence.

Hey I'd even say Scotland might fancy themselves against them. 

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 1:42pm
Ya England really need to win the first game. If they don't the second match against Scotland will be real pressure cooker stuff. 

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 2:17pm

Have being saying this. The really need to beat the Croats on Sunday. If they don't huge pressure on them going into the Scotland game

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Definitely more hype around England this time than there was in 2018, but even at that I get the vibe its cautious enough. On paper, I think England have consistent quality (apart from between the sticks), but I'd still fancy France or Portugal in a tight one.

MOTD last night, none of them thought England would win it (surprisingly enough).

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

MOTD last night, none of them thought England would win it (surprisingly enough).

The GK and CB’s are not good enough to win a major tournament.
They certainly have the strength and depth up front and with Foden and Grealish have creative players. 

Thankfully it’s not coming home. 

-------------

Posted By: Englishborn
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 12:09pm
you underestimate our backline. We have 5 European finalist players at the back. James walker shaw stones chilwell in the champions league and europa league maguire would have been captain in the Europa League final.  White is a very composed defender. Alot better than mings, who is a bombscare but he did captain villa. Coady is wolves captain.  Pickford had a better season than rui patricio.  Lloris isn't the same keeper he was 5 years ago. Portugal for example are relying on 2 38 year old defenders alongside dias. No pace. Belgiums defence is past its best.  Germany are desperate for good defenders so much they recalled hummels after 3 years away. Italy have 2 defenders in their mid 30s. England's defence isn't as bad as people make out 

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

you underestimate our backline. We have 5 European finalist players at the back. James walker shaw stones chilwell in the champions league and europa league maguire would have been captain in the Europa League final.  White is a very composed defender. Alot better than mings, who is a bombscare but he did captain villa. Coady is wolves captain.  Pickford had a better season than rui patricio.  Lloris isn't the same keeper he was 5 years ago. Portugal for example are relying on 2 38 year old defenders alongside dias. No pace. Belgiums defence is past its best.  Germany are desperate for good defenders so much they recalled hummels after 3 years away. Italy have 2 defenders in their mid 30s. England's defence isn't as bad as people make out 

I think England's defence is very decent, and it has a good protector in Rice in front of it. 

Patricio or Lloris are better keepers than Pickford.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 1:24pm
I agree they were better keepers but lloris hasn't had a great season nor has patricio.  Pickford has been very good the second half of the season and has never made a mistake for England 

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 2:02pm
England are massively overrated. They’ll be knocked out in last 16.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 2:51pm

I agree they were better keepers but lloris hasn't had a great season nor has patricio.  Pickford has been very good the second half of the season and has never made a mistake for England 

Where do you think England will finish?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: xRedmanLFCx
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 9:05pm
England too reliant on Harry Kane and Croatia too reliant on Luka Modric. Neither team will win the competition, but either could make the last 8. 

-------------
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 9:48pm
I’ve yet to see this England team dominate a decent side like Italy did last night v Turkey. It may happen tomorrow but doubt it. As others said not winning tomorrow will result in massive pressure v Scotland on Friday.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 1:30am
Got of feeling Scotland might do better than is generally expected. They play to their strengths, have some good technical players and a good manager . Englands star players are generally the lightweights in their club teams. If a team so concerned about the loss of Maguire, you have to wonder..They'll do well to get to the final 8. 

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Jimmy Raggatip
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

I’ve yet to see this England team dominate a decent side like Italy did last night v Turkey. It may happen tomorrow but doubt it. As others said not winning tomorrow will result in massive pressure v Scotland on Friday.

are you saying Turkey are a decent side?

the first Nations League where they got to the semi finals they were good but Southgate seems to have reigned that in a little

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Got of feeling Scotland might do better than is generally expected. They play to their strengths, have some good technical players and a good manager . Englands star players are generally the lightweights in their club teams. If a team so concerned about the loss of Maguire, you have to wonder..They'll do well to get to the final 8. 

Harry, Foden, Rice, Grealish etc would all be considered heavyweights at their clubs.

Look we get it, they must not win but they have excellent forwards. Thankfully they are weak in defence! 
I expect them to batter one of the teams in the group and it could be Scotland. 

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 10:41am
For those English born or living in England, what's the plan for.today? Will you go watch the match in the pub?

Who will you be cheering for?

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 11:42am
England should be a good proposition. They have evolved quite a bit since 2018, when I think they struck it lucky and almost lumbered to the semis, and I think they have a lot of good young talent that if Southgate has the courage to play them they could make a decent fist of the tournament.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 12:11pm
As a Croatia fan for the day I’m delighted to see Sancho, Bellingham, Rashford and Luke Shaw on the bench today.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 12:26pm

Quarters maybe semis 

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 12:29pm

Lightweight? Sancho is dortmund's second best player.  Kane is spurs best player.  Grealish is villa's star man. Foden is crucial to city. Dcl is Evertons top scorer. Mount is key to Chelsea..should I go on

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

are you saying Turkey are a decent side?

the first Nations League where they got to the semi finals they were good but Southgate seems to have reigned that in a little

We were battering teams when we played 433. Southgate has gone all defensive because of a couple of mistakes.  If we don't do well in this tournament its down to him

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

England too reliant on Harry Kane and Croatia too reliant on Luka Modric. Neither team will win the competition, but either could make the last 8. 

Every top team relies massively on a goal scorer. Where would Portugal be without ronaldo.  Where would Belgium be without lukaku.  He maybe our goalscorer but grealish foden and Mount are the key players.  Theyre the ones that make things happen.  We have plenty of fire power all over. Sterling scored 8 goals in qualifying.  We are far more than a one man team

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 12:40pm

Quarters maybe semis 

England play to runner up in group F which is France\Portgual or Germany. Couldn't be any tougher.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Slow & Blind
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

For those English born or living in England, what's the plan for.today? Will you go watch the match in the pub?

Watching it at a friends place, he's a gazebo and tv set up in the back yard.

I'd like to see England win every game by at least four goals all the way through to the final where they play someone like Hungary or the Czech Republic. Then in the 89th minute with the score at 0-0, after Harry kane has missed two penalties and England have hit the post 18 times, Jordon Pickford accidentally throws the ball into his own net. I'd stand back and watch the place burn to the ground. 

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 1:00pm
LOL

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Watching it at a friends place, he's a gazebo and tv set up in the back yard.

I'd like to see England win every game by at least four goals all the way through to the final where they play someone like Hungary or the Czech Republic. Then in the 89th minute with the score at 0-0, after Harry kane has missed two penalties and England have hit the post 18 times, Jordon Pickford accidentally throws the ball into his own net. I'd stand back and watch the place burn to the ground. 
LOLLOL

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

As a Croatia fan for the day I’m delighted to see Sancho, Bellingham, Rashford and Luke Shaw on the bench today.

Agree with this bar Rashford 

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Sancho not even on the bench LOL

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 1:36pm
I fancy Croatia to get at least a draw. Better midfield and decent forwards. They wont be scared if England. Nor should they be.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 1:38pm

Sancho not even on the bench LOL

Didn’t realise that
Strange 

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 1:45pm

Rashford not good enough to start for England these days IMO.
Sancho should come on at some stage.

Only surprise for me is Trippier ahead of Shaw. 

Given the depth in attack I can see a few changes in each of the group games for England. 
I think they know they will qualify. 

-------------

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Rashford not good enough to start for England these days IMO.
Sancho should come on at some stage.

Only surprise for me is Trippier ahead of Shaw. 

Given the depth in attack I can see a few changes in each of the group games for England. 
I think they know they will qualify. 
Sancho not in the squad 

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 1:57pm
Croatia Clap

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:04pm
Booing opposition's anthems has always been tolerable

xenophobia accepted

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:46pm
Poor first half! Harry Kane barely in the game so far.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:52pm
England the better team but was a pretty boring half after the first ten minutes 

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:54pm

Poor first half! Harry Kane barely in the game so far.

Croatia seem happy to sit back. 
England had a good spell for 20 mins but besides Foden’s chance they haven’t created much. 

It is very hot tho, 28 degrees in London Town.
Wouldn’t be surprised to see a 0-0 here. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:58pm
The England full backs don’t offer too much going forward, bit of a defensive starting line up.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 3:33pm
Kalvin Phillips will probably have a 75m price tag or something silly after this tournament 

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 3:54pm
All aboard the hype train 

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 3:55pm
Croatia short of fire power. Felt ref gave England a lot of decisions. You could see the exasperation in some of the Croatian players faces. No stand out players on either side other than Modric, class as ever.. 

-------------

Posted By: wanderer
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 3:56pm
What an awful game that was 

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 3:56pm
That was absolutely f**king brutal to watch.

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 4:07pm
Better off finishing second in that group tbh.

One of Spain, Poland, Sweden or Slovakia rather than Germany, France or Portugal unless Hungary cause a huge upset. 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 4:08pm

That was absolutely f**king brutal to watch.

i put it down to how hot it is today. its absolutely baking here. its hard to describe how intense the heat is.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Better off finishing second in that group tbh.

One of Spain, Poland, Sweden or Slovakia rather than Germany, France or Portugal unless Hungary cause a huge upset. 

no chance

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 6:25pm
England well worthy of the win, Croatia were poor and never looked like scoring, could have been 2 or 3 nil 
Still don’t think England are as fluent in attack as they should be  

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 6:33pm

England well worthy of the win, Croatia were poor and never looked like scoring, could have been 2 or 3 nil 
Still don’t think England are as fluent in attack as they should be  

Never a 2 or 3 nil game. Very even IMO. England were the usual all hype and no real substance. Croatia weren't great but i didn't see England as much better. Great pass from Philips for the goal.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 6:45pm
Pickford wasn’t tested once and Croatia never looked like creating much 

Foden hit the post, Phillips had a good shot saved and Kane should have buried one at the far post
2-0 would certainly not have been undeserving 

Poor game overall 

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 7:33pm
Thought it was a very poor game today, Croatia didn't do anything to change my opinion that they'll get very little out of this group. England started bright but seemed to put the breaks on a bit when they should have stepped up a gear. I think the Scots and maybe the Czechs will take points off the English and on that showing any of the top end sides would love to get England 

Posted By: notpropaganda73
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 7:57pm
awful game but that won't bother England, all about getting the win and momentum started. they'll be hard to stop unfortunately

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by dundon13 dundon13 wrote:

Thought it was a very poor game today, Croatia didn't do anything to change my opinion that they'll get very little out of this group. England started bright but seemed to put the breaks on a bit when they should have stepped up a gear. I think the Scots and maybe the Czechs will take points off the English and on that showing any of the top end sides would love to get England 

I’d be surprised if England didn’t win all 3 group games
It’s a poor enough group 
They played the toughest opponents today and they weren’t up to much at all 
They’ve also got a bench full of quality if Southgate wishes to change things up for the next two games 

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 6:57am
people forget it was 30 degrees heat. Couldn't sustain that start for 90 minutes.  U will see the real England Friday night. Croatia offered nothing because rice and Phillips dominated midfield.  We still have alot of quality to come in. Grealish Henderson maguire Shaw james saka sancho chilwell.  Im happy with the win. We always start slow and then build momentum.  I feel we can beat Germany or Portugal especially at Wembley 

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 8:28am

I’d be surprised if England didn’t win all 3 group games
It’s a poor enough group 
They played the toughest opponents today and they weren’t up to much at all 
They’ve also got a bench full of quality if Southgate wishes to change things up for the next two games 

England could make 11 changes and still be favourites to beat Scotland.

They can swap the front 4 for Sancho, Grealish, Rashford and Calvert-lewin. That shows the strength they have.

They can rotate the team for the group games knowing they will make the knockouts. 

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 10:15am

people forget it was 30 degrees heat. Couldn't sustain that start for 90 minutes.  U will see the real England Friday night. Croatia offered nothing because rice and Phillips dominated midfield.  We still have alot of quality to come in. Grealish Henderson maguire Shaw james saka sancho chilwell.  Im happy with the win. We always start slow and then build momentum.  I feel we can beat Germany or Portugal especially at Wembley 
Those England players aren’t used to playing in English weather.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 10:50am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

LOL

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 11:27am

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

LOL

Nah lads, really, when it gets this hot in London it is totally oppressive. Had to go to the pub as it's got aircon. Hard times and all that. 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 11:56am
Oppressive is the right word. Its absolutely stinking at the moment. 

Whatever about people's concerns about England's defence the manager in my eyes is their biggest weakness. 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 12:00pm

Whatever about people's concerns about England's defence the manager in my eyes is their biggest weakness. 

Heard Gary Neville say Southgate is the perfect suited manager for England! Optimism bias at its peak.

The team selection yesterday was baffling and I hope he picks that side when they come up against a quality side.

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 12:06pm
Early days but they look well off being contenders based on yesterday's showing. I'm sure the weather was a factor but it was the worst game of the tournament so far. They have no fluency in attack at all and just like three years ago will be heavily reliant on set pieces.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 12:10pm

Heard Gary Neville say Southgate is the perfect suited manager for England! Optimism bias at its peak.

The team selection yesterday was baffling and I hope he picks that side when they come up against a quality side.

A lot of that going on on both sides when it comes to England. Lost count of the number of times i've heard friends say "England will struggle to get out of that group". 
Utter sh*te, they'll cruise it its a weak enough group. I'd be surprised if they didn't win all three games. The big test will come in the next round. 

They deserved the win and some key areas that may have been concerns for them went well - centre backs looked secure, Phillips and Rice shut down the midfield, Sterling came back to form. 

A few others can play a lot better too - Kane and Foden for example which is a worry. And then you have a bench full of quality to come on. 
England v Portugal or England v Germany at Wembley would be good ties in the next round

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 1:30pm
Tierney not in the matchday squad for Scotland due to injury. Big blow for them

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 1:33pm
Big day for the Scots but can't see them winning , a 1-1 draw seems to be about right .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 1:56pm
Hon Scotland Clap

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 2:02pm
Tierney a big loss. have the czechs down to win this 1-2

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 2:45pm
Very defensive set up from Steve Clarke! That guy O’Donnell at right wing back is a terrible footballer.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 2:48pm
The Czechs deservedly ahead

Posted By: djhegzy
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 2:50pm

Very defensive set up from Steve Clarke! That guy O’Donnell at right wing back is a terrible footballer.

Thought Scotland played well enough, some strange selection choices, as said that o'donnell guy is awefull. Che adams bound to be an improvement up front too

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 2:53pm
Gilmour should come on for Armstrong and Forrest for O’Donnell.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 2:53pm
Gwan Celtic

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Gwan Celtic

LOL Good auld, Ronnie!

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:00pm
O'Donnell is like someone from my Wednesday night astro game got called up to play international. Him and Hanley both useless for the Czech goal. Scotland are a strange team, some great players mixed with some terrible ones.

That said that's a poor Czech team also, plenty of time for Scotland to get back into this. They could easily get a draw yet at least, although a point would not be much use to them with the games they have coming up.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:06pm
opening up a bit now...been a poor game. At least a bit of excitement.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:10pm
Goal of the tournament.....

-------------

Posted By: Mulvanystrasse
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:10pm
There is always that Scottish goalkeeper moment.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:11pm
Positioning of Marshall though was terrible 

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:11pm
f**king hell Scotland. You wait 23 years to play in a finals tournament and then you go and do that.

Did Marshall think he was playing centre mid? Ridiculous positioning.

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:14pm
Scotland's 'keeper and defence are lower championship/league 1 standard at best.

They've some decent midfielders but I'm not buying that they're a vastly improved team as many seem to think these days.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:15pm
Awful showing here from Scotland. Being made to look very average, which I suppose they are bar one or two players

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:18pm
In fairness, the Czechs are understated, and players like Kral and Schick are very good. And both Coufal and Soucek have settled into life in the PL very easily. I think the fact that they have gone off the boil for several years after 2012 has left them mildly underrated.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Scotland's 'keeper and defence are lower championship/league 1 standard at best.

They've some decent midfielders but I'm not buying that they're a vastly improved team as many seem to think these days.
Players from Leeds and Liverpool there 

-------------

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:23pm

It's a 3-5-2 isn't it?

----------Marshall
Hendry - Hanley - Cooper

It's poor on paper and possibly even poorer on the pitch. 

Robertson is actually playing as a midfielder here by the looks of things.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:25pm
Bad keeping for the second. Scotland really pushing it, better finishing and they could be back in it.

Watching with the sound off, but I imagine that last effort would have been ruled out because of handball in build up?

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:32pm

It's a 3-5-2 isn't it?

----------Marshall
Hendry - Hanley - Cooper

It's poor on paper and possibly even poorer on the pitch. 

Robertson is actually playing as a midfielder here by the looks of things.
Bit harsh,Cooper captain of Leedscand Hanley captain of Norwich who ran away with the EFL. The czech centre half plays for Bristol City...

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:35pm
Hanley is a dreadful defender though, always has been.

McTominay and Adams must be wishing they held out for England at this point. McTominay especially.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:38pm
Youd fear for Scotland against England....

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:42pm
To be fair to Scotland they have played fairly well going forward and created some good chances. What was Hanley doing shooting from that far out in the lead up to the second goal I'll never know. 

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:46pm

To be fair to Scotland they have played fairly well going forward and created some good chances. What was Hanley doing shooting from that far out in the lead up to the second goal I'll never know. 

That was Jack Hendry.

I thought Scotland played relatively well, they've had a number of good opportunities to score and have been a little unlucky not to score.

You can't fault their effort.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:50pm
The worldie lob will be the headline but conceding a goal right before half time is always a killer. I think overall its been 50/50. The Czechs were just more clinical

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:51pm
Scotland and North Macedonia not doing much for UEFA's let the lower league Nations League teams qualify for the Euros idea. Might need to be revisited for the next tournament.

Could be a long week ahead for the Scots after this. Shades of us at Euro 2012 but we were in a much tougher group.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:51pm

That was Jack Hendry.

I thought Scotland played relatively well, they've had a number of good opportunities to score and have been a little unlucky not to score.

You can't fault their effort.

My bad, not as bad as Hanley shooting from that far out but still not great. The Czechs have been far more clinical and that's the difference. Dykes had a great chance but side footed it straight to the keeper.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:55pm
The least Scotland needed was a goal from that. The consolation that would buffer them in the event they snag a win in the next two games, but are relying on the 3rd place slot.

That being said, as turgid as yesterday's game was, England will give Scotland even less of an opportunity to play, and if Croatia can play to the strengths that they showed in fits and starts yesterday, they will find gaps in Scotland and win.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 4:00pm
If we are being honest that was a gutless performance from the majority of the players and the management team! Andy Robertson the only Scotland player to come out of that game with any credit.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net