Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57844
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 3:18pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Euro 2020: Group A ITL, SWI, TUR, WAL
Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Subject: Euro 2020: Group A ITL, SWI, TUR, WAL
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 7:48am
Italy should win this group and have a good chance of going far. 
I hope the boring Swiss come last.
Last chance for Bale in a major competition.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 8:30am
This is an interesting one, Italy look weak, and the other 3 all look like potential surprise packages. Toughest group to call the order

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 9:12am
Are Italy not unbeaten in 27 games? Not saying they'll win it but they're surely in with a shout of being dark horses for the tournament.

There was an excellent article on Italy's and Mancini's rebirth on the Athletic the other day for any one who has a subscription.

Will watch their Inter midfielder Barella with interest. Any reviews of the tournament I've seen have spoken very highly of him.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: dundon13
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 10:51am
Italy are in serious form and they're my second choice for the tournament, Turkey could be another potential surprise package out of this group I feel.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

This is an interesting one, Italy look weak, and the other 3 all look like potential surprise packages. Toughest group to call the order

They're unbeaten in 27 matches 

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 10:58am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Are Italy not unbeaten in 27 games? Not saying they'll win it but they're surely in with a shout of being dark horses for the tournament.

There was an excellent article on Italy's and Mancini's rebirth on the Athletic the other day for any one who has a subscription.

Will watch their Inter midfielder Barella with interest. Any reviews of the tournament I've seen have spoken very highly of him.

I really like Italy's midfield jorginho, Barella and Veratti are all brilliant at what they do.

Barella is exceptional 

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 12:36pm
Im very interested to see how Wales get on here. They really did well in 2016, and on paper, I think they have a stronger squad than they did before. But, I thought they were poor in qualifying. Then, they did well in the Nations League.

I wouldn't put it past them to do well in this group. Also, in a tight game, id like to have Bale in my team.

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I heard that stat alright but I think it's overblown. They weren't at the last WC so they've just played qualifiers, nations league and friendlies. Only 8 of those games were against teams that made it to the Euros, knocking up 5 wins and 3 draws against Poland, Netherlands, Finland, Ukraine and Czechs. I don't expect any of those teams to be standing in the last 8 of Euro 2020 so it's definitely a step up in standard.

Italian teams haven't been really competing for Champions League for the last few years either, Juve haven't got past QF in a good few years now. 

On top of that, opening games tend to supply upsets too.

They'll qualify from the group, but can't see them making in past a QF

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 1:20pm

I heard that stat alright but I think it's overblown. They weren't at the last WC so they've just played qualifiers, nations league and friendlies. Only 8 of those games were against teams that made it to the Euros, knocking up 5 wins and 3 draws against Poland, Netherlands, Finland, Ukraine and Czechs. I don't expect any of those teams to be standing in the last 8 of Euro 2020 so it's definitely a step up in standard.

Italian teams haven't been really competing for Champions League for the last few years either, Juve haven't got past QF in a good few years now. 

last World Cup qualifiers ended 3 and a half years ago - teams move on.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 1:32pm

LOL

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 9:45pm
Italy impressive but jaysus Turkey not doing a bit about it, was expecting more from them. 

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 9:49pm
Very impressive from Italy tonight.

Spinnazola, Insigne, Immobile, Berardi superb

Agree expected more from Turkey... Saying that Italians kept them well controlled 

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 10:00pm

Very impressive from Italy tonight.

Spinnazola, Insigne, Immobile, Berardi superb

Agree expected more from Turkey... Saying that Italians kept them well controlled 

They completely parked the bus, maybe damage limitations and throw away this one but go for next 2 games

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 10:06pm
Turkey very poor. Italy looked excellent 

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 10:15pm
Turkey were very disappointing. I expected a lot more from them. Italy played very well.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: xRedmanLFCx
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 10:21pm

Good point.

-------------
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by dundon13 dundon13 wrote:

Italy impressive but jaysus Turkey not doing a bit about it, was expecting more from them. 

They were cagey and probably would have taken a draw. I expect them to play differently from here on and I wouldn't be surprised to see them bang in a few goals before they're out. 

-------------
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 10:37pm
Don't recall such a one sided opening game of a tournament like tonight. 28 chances to 1 or something ridiculous like that. Someone said in a whattsap group Turkey were dark donkeys

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 12:08am
Turks shat themselves. It was like watching us play a big team 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 2:24pm
Interesting to see the fruits of the Welsh rebuild after not getting to the 2018 World Cup. Although their talismen remain the same, they have evolved from a lot of players who were in France, and in a number of cases very prominent players (Williams, Taylor, King, Robson Kanu, Vokes Chester etc) are not there anymore.

We often talk about rebuilding, and I think we could do worse than looking at the Welsh way.

That being said, even though Moore has had an excellent chance they are certainly not on top at the moment.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 2:41pm
Wales really beginning to look like us in the last days of MON and the MM era. Defensively sound, but blunt in midfield with a lone striker holding a thankless role. Hardly heard Bale, Allen and Ramsey's names in the first half. Cant help but feel this has more to do with Page's system.

Posted By: Bukowski
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 2:56pm
Switzerland able to keep the game, Wales trying to spring a counter attack anytime they manage to get it. Making for a tedious game, maybe like when other countries watch us play.
I imagine it'll be the same way when Scotland play "technically better teams".
Wales have decent players, especially in mid-field, so why can't they hold the ball better? How does this magic "technically better" stuff work exactly? If Wales decided not to go long every time would they be able to hold it and make Switzerland work harder?

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 3:14pm
Been coming all game. 

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 3:57pm
Welsh have to be happy with that. If Swiss had a decent cf they'd have won that easily 

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 3:58pm
Wales extremely lucky to hang on for a point there. They looked absolutely physically beaten out there at the end, like a team in terminal decline. Despite how much they hype themselves and are seen as some kind of template to follow in terms of youth development they don't actually seem to have that much talent coming through. Loads of young players thrown in alright but questionable how good they actually are.

It's likely that, thanks to us in 2017, their golden generation of Bale, Ramsay etc. will finish their careers without ever playing at a World Cup, just as the likes of Giggs, Rush and Saunders did before them. It's been a long time since 1958 for them.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 4:04pm
Well done to our Celtic cousins

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Bukowski
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 4:40pm
The second half was watchable for a neutral. Wales had to go for a goal and they began looking for the ball.
When you stand off and play defensive / counter attack (coz I don't think they had to, I think they could have gone toe to toe with the Swiss) you're shortchanging yourselves. Good to see Bale Ramsay Allen James click into gear. They were out on their feet by the end.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 8:57pm
I didn't see the match, but not a great result for either team. From what I've heard, Swiss will be very disappointed. It could cost them getting out of the group. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 4:57pm
I know it's fairly plain but that Turkish Jersey is lovely 

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 5:21pm
Turkey are fookin rubbish. 

Wales should be ahead by a couple. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Wales could pay for Ramsey being a gobsh*te.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Wales could pay for Ramsey being a gobsh*te.  

Eventually takes one great ball by bale. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 5:44pm
Much deserved, Wales should be a few up already 

I've never seen a player as poorly tracked or marked as Ramsey in this first half. No-one near him.

Absolutely shocking stuff from Turkey. 

Wales certainly deserve it. 

-------------

Was that the 3rd time Bale played that pass to Ramsey, Turks are very poor.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 6:07pm
I think Turkey are doing a Colombia style 94 World Cup implosion.  

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 6:18pm
Bale LOL

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 6:19pm
Wales could do a Scotland on this. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 6:29pm
I’m amazed at how sh*t Turkey are. I expected a lot more from them.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Bale LOL

Clever to win the penalty but what a miss! 

-------------

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 6:35pm
Kenan Karaman, Mert Müldür.

I want Turkey to win just because they remind me of the glory days of watching television as a child back in the late 90s.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I’m amazed at how sh*t Turkey are. I expected a lot more from them.

They have been terrible! Calhanoglu has been brutal in both games so far, linked with United too Dead

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 6:38pm
Ramsey has been very good since he missed so many chances.  Never dropped his head. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Landsdowne90
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 6:39pm
yes shocking from Turkey, think was expecting a lot of more from them due to their start in their WC Qualifer group. Then again they did draw 3-3 with Latvia!!

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 6:53pm
Pathetic stuff from Turkey. 

Wales certainly through to the next round. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 6:53pm
Baring an absolute hammering from Italy should be at least 3rd place for Wales and next round 

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 6:56pm
One of the best performances of the tournament from Wales! Ramsey and Bale both brilliant.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 6:56pm
It'll be 3rd place at worst for Wales seeing as Turkey can't get more than 3 points in this group. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 7:13pm

Baring an absolute hammering from Italy should be at least 3rd place for Wales and next round 
They’re surely through now. Will be a team on 3 points going through.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 7:14pm

4pts will be more than enough

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 7:14pm

It'll be 3rd place at worst for Wales seeing as Turkey can't get more than 3 points in this group. 

I think Wales might look beyond that after tonight. Turkey are dreadful on a number of levels, but Wales could have won that by more than two, and Ramsey and Bale really stepped up (notwithstanding the misses). 

Between tonight, and the plucky draw on Saturday, they will be looking to cap it off with another result against Italy and give themselves the best possible shout.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 7:18pm
if they come second they will play either Denmark Russia or Finland and they will fancy their chances there. They should hope for an Italian win tonight and the 2nd goal could provide vital. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 7:28pm
Is Veratti not in the Italy squad?

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Is Veratti not in the Italy squad?
He is but he’s injured at the moment.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 7:43pm

They might fancy their chances of going through the group unbeaten now. They're hard enough to beat.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

if they come second they will play either Denmark Russia or Finland and they will fancy their chances there. They should hope for an Italian win tonight and the 2nd goal could provide vital. 
Yep, Italy win tonight and there through, and likely to rest several players like they did in Lille in 2016 when we benefited....

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:07pm
Wales look very good, making the most of what they have, Bale as a playmaker, pinging balls for Ramsey and James. They'll be a tough team to beat.

Very disappointed in Turkey. I was suckered into them being a darkhorse too, absolute awful team

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

One of the best performances of the tournament from Wales! Ramsey and Bale both brilliant.

Totally agree with that, some of the attacking football was brilliant and they should have had 3 or 4 more goals.

Wales were a pleasure to watch.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

They might fancy their chances of going through the group unbeaten now. They're hard enough to beat.

They are in the 2nd round so can rest some players v Italy. 
If Italy win tonight they will do the same.

-------------

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:21pm
That's a bad call. Goal should have stood

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:22pm
bullsh*t VAR. again. No place in football for this farce.

-------------
No Pasaran!

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:22pm
Nope
Rules are rules it hit his hand

Whether it’s accidental or not doesn’t matter as we’ve seen a lot of times over the last two years 

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:26pm
Remind me where UEFA and FIFA call home...

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:27pm
Now that is a goal Clap

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:28pm
George Hamilton, normally atrocious, even worse tonight...

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

They’ve been calling those exact incidents as no goals since summer 2019 though, keep up.

Italy impressive here 

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 9:37pm
I saidbi fancied Italy as an outsider to the main names. Some people would have you believe italian football is gone to the dogs. Its not. Some lovely players. Id like to see Belotti get some gametime in this tournament. A player i like. He could play with Immobile and Insigne. He may get some time against Wales. I love watching Italy.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 9:47pm
Immobile Clap

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

This aged well LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 9:53pm
10 straight wins without conceding a goal and b2b 3-0 wins.

Assuming they win they play the RU in group C (Netherlands or Austria). 

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 10:10pm
Italy vs Wales could turn out to be the game neither team wants to win. 2nd Group A plays 2nd in Group B so one of Finland, Russia or Denmark. Goes into another soft QF tie then and avoids the likes of Belgium & France up to final. 👀 

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Italy vs Wales could turn out to be the game neither team wants to win. 2nd Group A plays 2nd in Group B so one of Finland, Russia or Denmark. Goes into another soft QF tie then and avoids the likes of Belgium & France up to final. 👀 

Dutch haven't be great but still wouldn't consider them a soft QF. Also that QF is in Baku. Temps could be high enough and you could have ET as well. If you had the two of those you'd have the risk of them being drained come the semis and you'd also have the flight all the way to London. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 10:25pm

And who do the group winners play?

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 10:29pm

Runners Up in the Dutch, Austria, Ukraine, North Macedonia group

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 10:35pm

Runners Up in the Dutch, Austria, Ukraine, North Macedonia group
The winner of that goes on to play the winner of a potential Belgium/Portugal tie and on ward to potentially meet France 

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 11:04pm
Turkey’s defending was abysmal 

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

10 straight wins without conceding a goal and b2b 3-0 wins.

Assuming they win they play the RU in group C (Netherlands or Austria). 

I reckon it could be Ukraine, I fancy then against austria. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 4:00pm
Italians making a whole host of changes. A great chance for Wales to do an Ireland on them. 

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 4:03pm
Who do the winners and second place in this group play 

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 4:06pm

Who do the winners and second place in this group play 
winner plays Ukraine or Austria and runner in Belgiums group . 

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 4:23pm
I think it might suit Wales to finish runners up as they'd probably rather Finland/Russia than Ukraine/Austria. Not much between those 4 teams either though. 

-------------

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Italians making a whole host of changes. A great chance for Wales to do an Ireland on them. 
8/1. Cmon Wales Clap

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 4:51pm

I think it might suit Wales to finish runners up as they'd probably rather Finland/Russia than Ukraine/Austria. Not much between those 4 teams either though. 

The winner of the group could play Belgium in the quarters whereas the runner up could play the Dutch.

The runners up path seems a much easier route to the semi. 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 5:41pm
Well worked free

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 5:45pm
Even with all the changes Italy have not lost any momentum, and seem to have just perfected winning the ball back. I suspect Wales will have some sort of a purple patch, but its hard not to look at the game against Turkey as a product of just how poor Turkey were (more of that today it appears against the Swiss)

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 5:50pm
if they're not careful wales could end up 3rd making things a lot harder in the last 16.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 7:12pm
Denmark still have a decent chance of making 2nd spot if they beat Russia 2-0 and Finland lose to Belgium. I'm sure the Welsh would rather face Finland, then Russia and Denmark last in that order of preference.  

I'm sure the Turks will give their national team a heroes welcome at Istanbul airport. LOL

Absolutely pathetic stuff from Turkey. 

-------------

Posted By: notpropaganda73
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 7:23pm
Italy really look impressive though they didn't meet much resistance in that group really. Really like how they play though and looking forward to seeing them against a better side, I'd love to see them vs. Belgium in the quarters, think it would be a classic. 

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 7:25pm
Just one more goal and Turkey would have equalled our record at Euro 2012

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Just one more goal and Turkey would have equalled our record at Euro 2012

In fairness given the relative expectations that we had (Us to not qualify out of the group and finish 3rd at best) and the ones Turkey had (possible dark horses for the tournament and certainly to qualify out of their group)  not to mention the teams we had in our group, Turkey's overall performances were disgraceful tbh. 

Their showing was worse than ours imo. I think we were a little bit unlucky and fairly competitive in the Croatia game but no one could say Turkey deserved anything out of their 3 games against much weaker opposition. 

Erdogan will have them horse-whipped when they get back. 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 4:59pm
Turkish team arrives in Istanbul

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 5:08pm
LOL

-------------

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 5:46pm
LOLLOLLOL

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 11:12pm

Bump

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:07am

Bump
I had a feeling the hindsight brigade would bump that one.

I stand by most of it, their 28 game unbeaten run leading into the tournament was against second rate teams so I wasn't reading too much into it. 

They definitely upped the level in the knockouts, after riding their luck against Austria, they were very impressive beating Belgium, Spain and England. Worthy winners

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net