Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57835
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 8:54pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sammie Szmodics
Posted By: Heimatklange
Subject: Sammie Szmodics
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 4:29pm
https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1398292857329532936%20" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1398292857329532936

Sammie Szmodics declares for Ireland. Has anyone heard of this player before?

Replies:
Posted By: shakeyshamrock
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 4:33pm
looks like a one-up for the FAI scouting dept. versus the "players eligible for Ireland" thread contributors

Posted By: Scissors Kick
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1398292857329532936%20" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1398292857329532936

Sammie Szmodics declares for Ireland. Has anyone heard of this player before?

Important player in Peterboroughs L1 promotion season, a key signing having had him on loan the season before, an assists man with the odd goal in him, played top of a diamond or as a 10. Didn't get in at Bristol City had to drop a level but promoted again now. 

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 5:13pm
The new Wes. Maybe.

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 5:36pm
Has very good stats. 25 years old too a decent age still plenty time to crack on and climb up the rank. 

Himself and Taylor gives us proper Irish interest next season as far as Peterborough goes. I strongly fancy Peterborough to stay up and even establish themselves in the Championship. 

Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Has very good stats. 25 years old too a decent age still plenty time to crack on and climb up the rank. 

Himself and Taylor gives us proper Irish interest next season as far as Peterborough goes. I strongly fancy Peterborough to stay up and even establish themselves in the Championship. 

Christy Pym is there too and Flynn Clarke a 17yo attacking midfielder as well. Can play for us, Scotland or England. FAI were sorting his passport late last year.

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 5:53pm
Fair play to him for committing but if he was that good would he not be playing for wherever he's from ?

Deserves a chance do 

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Fair play to him for committing but if he was that good would he not be playing for wherever he's from ?

Deserves a chance do 

He's English. Qualifies for us and Hungary through a grandparents.

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Deserves a chance do 

He's English.

Yeah, the Hungarian blood like the Irish blood is from a grandparent. Fair to say he's a fancy sounding English guy. 

Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Christy Pym is there too and Flynn Clarke a 17yo attacking midfielder as well. Can play for us, Scotland or England. FAI were sorting his passport late last year.

I was aware of both but I have seen zilch myself bar rumours so don’t want to get my hopes up. Even Joel Bagan I have seen his mother on Twitter basically indicate he was declaring for us. 

Your right though potentially savage Irish interest over a number of years as they are all young enough still. That lad Flynn Clarke looks a decent prospect from what little I have seen of him was a lovely surprise to here the rumour he was sorting his passport for us.

I genuinely do think they will stay up mind with or without the Irish interest think they are well placed to establish themselves real good club.

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 7:44pm
Not sure how I feel about bringing in a player to the senior set up that noone seems to have heard of.

One thing is not knowing he's eligible but the fact that a lot of irish fans had to hit the Google machine.

Posted By: aviva8
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 7:49pm
Any reason why obafemi wasnt called up with Robinson  and Connolly ruled out?

Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Manager doesn’t fancy him? Seems to have every excuse in the book for not playing him. I’d have him well ahead of Parrott myself personally nothing against Parrott. Obafemi is older and more psychically the finished article Parrott better placed in the 21s to my mind for this summer at least. A boy in a mans game last year.

Tbh it’s not the end of the world Obafemi or even Connolly missing this they are friendlies and both have had injury issues. Get some proper pre season base fitness built up by the start of the season for both get loan moves where they will play regularly and try and kick on. 

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 8:06pm
Go Sam , never heard of the lad before tonight i must say 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 8:11pm
Out of the blue but not disappointed. He’s scored 14 goals since the turn of the year. In the few highlights I’ve seen, he’s remarkably like 25 year old Wes Hoolahan.

I guess we’ll see how he does. Simon Cox scored some of the best goals I’ve ever seen in League One but that was his peak. Hopefully the best is yet to come from Sammie Szmodics.

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 9:18pm
His tattoo game is on point.

Ironically, his emergence may impede Jack Taylor's path to the first team.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 9:25pm
It's an intriguing one alright and will be interesting to see how he gets on next season in the championship. 

Hopefully he gets a few minutes against Andorra anyway. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 9:29pm
It does seem that the FAI have gone on a recruitment drive and researched eligibility quite well if this player is anything to go by.

Would be interesting to see if they have any others applying for passports 

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Aye he’s Irish!

Posted By: Rustybedsprings
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 9:44pm
Any reason why Sykes wasnt called up? I thought he was on standby

Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Jack Taylor plays a bit deeper then this lad by the looks of it. I highly doubt it will too much. 

Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Played together all season though.

Posted By: Neil Armstrong
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 11:10pm
Granny's from Granard

-------------
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The new Wes. Maybe.

From the clips I have seen of him he has Wes like qualities. No harm having another option at number 10. 

Posted By: DR.HUGO
Date Posted: 29 May 2021 at 7:55pm
Taylor is a different player and has a eye for a pass....Sammie is seen as the danger man for Peterborough...I sadly know this because I’m a Sunderland fan 😆.....league 1 again yaaayyy NOT.....anyway welcome aboard sammie.

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 29 May 2021 at 9:25pm
Yeah, Szmodics is highly rated. He and Jack Taylor have been stand-out players for Peterborough and have attracted attention from bigger clubs. Leeds are reportedly keen to sign one of them but I'm not sure which. Jack is younger and like Rice was prematurely discarded by Chelsea.

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 9:37pm
Watching him here tonight against West Brom, been excellent.

Missed the first few games with injury / birth of his child but looks to have hit the ground running now.

Be interesting to see how he gets on throughout the season.

Posted By: ripbomb
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Missed the first few games with injury / birth of his child but looks to have hit the ground running now.

surely worth a look at in the games coming up instead of Hourhaine , Arter and Molumby (who i don't rate at all)

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

surely worth a look at in the games coming up instead of Hourhaine , Arter and Molumby (who i don't rate at all)

Wouldn't really be competing with any of them for a place in the team, well, maybe Hourihane. Hes an AM / No 10 ...would be more similar to Jamie McGrath.

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 10:02pm
He was always dangerous, played well. Good too at the dark arts of winding up opposition players. I recall Kieran O'Hara, who did not know he was a fellow Irishman at the time, biting him in anger and getting a six game ban for it last season.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 3:25pm
Scores his first goal of the season against Bristol.

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 3:48pm
Gets a 2nd 

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 4:03pm
Should of been in the squad 

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 4:16pm

Had a grand total of 39mins in three of the last four games after being dropped.

Posted By: Grammar Police
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 4:18pm
The last two posts have given my arse a headache.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Grammar Police Grammar Police wrote:

The last two posts have given my arse a headache.

Fixed it for you. Sorry my dyslexia gives your arse a headache.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 4:37pm

Should have, have.

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 7:39pm
6 pointer for the Posh tonight vs Hull - Szmodics and Taylor starting, Coventry on the bench!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

6 pointer for the Posh tonight vs Hull - Szmodics and Taylor starting, Coventry on the bench!

McLoughlin can't get into a poor Hull side shipping goals left, right and center. 25 now. Badly needs first team football, and soon. He's barely played over the last eighteen months.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 8:44pm
Pearler from Jack Taylor puts Posh 1 up, but they then concede almost immediately, 1 1 ht!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 5:26pm
Got a goal and assisted the second for Peterborough today. 

Posted By: Nialler
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 9:03pm
Just equalised for Peterborough so we have both scorers in that game. I know he got injured but has he been playing much recently?

Posted By: Nialler
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Just equalised for Peterborough so we have both scorers in that game. I know he got injured but has he been playing much recently?
and an assist for the second

Date Posted: 07 May 2022 at 2:01pm
Two for Szmodics today.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 5:45pm
Blackburn currently one of the very few Championship sides without an Irish player in their senior squad after loaning out James Brown today but it sounds like they're going to correct that quickly by bringing Szmodics in. The fee reported to have been agreed of £2.5m seems a bit on the high side if true though.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 9:55pm
Szmodics confirmed as a Blackburn player. Good move for him.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 12:38am
Good stuff, it will be interesting to see how he gets on playing for a more competitive team in the Championship. I hope it works out for him.
He hit a bit of form at the end of last season so maybe he was finding his feet in the championship then, he actually scored against Blackburn around then so he must have caught the eye.
Always good from a Ireland prospective to have more options playing in the Championship, especially in the attacking midfielder roles. 

Posted By: mully_85
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 1:17pm
and yet strange that one of our best prospects in Knight can’t seem to get a move to the champ and remains in L1

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

and yet strange that one of our best prospects in Knight can’t seem to get a move to the champ and remains in L1

First off lovely move for Szmodics. Solid side where he can do quite raise his profile at a higher level in a position we need players. Smallbone and Ronan potentially having breakthrough seasons too in that position. 

As for Knight Derby are looking for at least 4/5 million which to be quite frank most Championship clubs outside 4/5 can't even afford. Don't think it's as wild as one assumes. I do think Knight will end up at Burnely myself still. Rumours of interest recently.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 1:55pm

Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

First off lovely move for Szmodics. Solid side where he can do quite raise his profile at a higher level in a position we need players. Smallbone and Ronan potentially having breakthrough seasons too in that position. 

As for Knight Derby are looking for at least 4/5 million which to be quite frank most Championship clubs outside 4/5 can't even afford. Don't think it's as wild as one assumes. I do think Knight will end up at Burnely myself still. Rumours of interest recently.

Given Knights experience for club and country at a young age Derby would get decent compensation if he joined another English team next summer so can afford to play hard ball this early in the season by having a high valuation.

Most transfers this summer have been free transfers and might see more interest being shown in him in January. Can sign pre contract abroad and move for peanuts so English teams could come in with cheap bids for him then.

Posted By: Greenie50
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 4:32pm
That's a great move for him.

Posted By: TraphadBalls
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 7:56pm
 Delighted for young Sammie! One.of those players that deserves another look am IMO.. Composed, and we haven’t seen what the Hungarian (origin) players can do for us yet. Gwan Sammie Boy!

-------------
Kennycandoit

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 1:50pm
https://mobile.twitter.com/IrishPropaganda/status/1554893689654321156?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet" rel="nofollow - https://mobile.twitter.com/IrishPropaganda/status/1554893689654321156?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 3:26pm
His name rhymes with Silly Bollocks

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 3:41pm
Szcores.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 2:33pm
Back from injury and on the Blackburn bench.

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 5:28pm
Goal and an assist today against Rotherham.

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 5:40pm
Szcores and asszists!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 6:08pm
Szensational !

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 6:59pm

Szcores and asszists!

LOL

Szenszational!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 3:25pm
Gives Blackburn the lead against Hull City.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 5:07pm
Szcintillating, 3rd of the szeaszon!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 5:36pm
Szcenes

Posted By: TraphadBalls
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 5:41pm

Szmashing news!

-------------
Kennycandoit

Posted By: Given's zimmerframe
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 9:38pm
Jaysziz here we go

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 11:03pm
Szeasy done.

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 12:01pm
I think he should be called up to the next squad, have a look and see what he can add. He is playing for a team at the top end of the Championship and scoring more goals than our other current central/attacking midfield options.
Yes he blows hot and cold in the Championship but so are most of the current ROI squad playing in the Championship/SPL/League One.

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 12:55pm
He's one of a few potential call ups to play as the advanced midfielder in a 3. Himself, Smallbone, Azaz, and Mandroiu are all making cases for themselves of recent, and McGrath is also back playing regularly. Will be interesting to see who gets the nod.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He's one of a few potential call ups to play as the advanced midfielder in a 3. Himself, Smallbone, Azaz, and Mandroiu are all making cases for themselves of recent, and McGrath is also back playing regularly. Will be interesting to see who gets the nod.

Personally I think call up as many as possible in an extended squad to have a look at them for the upcoming campaign, especially in central /attacking midfield areas as well as RWB. It is a good in-depth squad that will get you qualified to tournaments as it is rare to have your first starting eleven team available, mostly due to injuries, not playing for their clubs or suspensions. Plus you never know which new or fringe player will hit a good vein of form or move up a level within the next year during the campaign.

I know Kenny said he might not do too much experimentation in this window but that was before he knew he had another friendly match opportunity in the first match day of the qualifying campaign due to not having a competitive match then.

Also there are a few injuries in the squad coming into this window with Knight, Parrott, Ogbene, Omobamidele, Idah still out. Potentially another one or two injuries, knowing our luck with them, between now and the November friendlies. Kenny might be forced to call up more new or fringe players than he expected.

Posted By: Forty
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 1:42pm
Surely Szamual Szmodics will get a call up now. We're low on young creative lads so if he can't get an introduction against Malta and the likes then Szammie has no chance

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 2:40pm
He must be in with a szhout. Very influential player for Peterborough in the Championship last season, like his then team-mate Jack Taylor he qualifies for Ireland through a grandparent from Co. Longford ( though Jack has apparently been an Irish citizen since birth). Szammie has been looking good for Blackburn and would be an interesting szelection if Kenny opts to give him a chance.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 2:44pm
He is too inconszisztent

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 2:54pm
Was szhite for Blackburn last night apparently.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Was szhite for Blackburn last night apparently.

I watched the first half of the Coventry V Blackburn. Going by the first half he wasn't "sh*te" more a mixed bag from him. 
He had some good moments like a two good defence splitting passes up to Brereton to put him through on goal,  but for poor finishing on Brereton's part or Coventry's defence recovering well neither were goals. He also put in a few crosses into the Coventry box and at one stage,  found himself on the ball at the edge of the Coventry box, the better option would have been to have a shot but he opted to pass.
He tried to play a few cross field balls to switch the play but they did not come off and  badly gave possession straight to Coventry.
He worked hard defensively and got back covering his own box when needed.
I don't know how he played the second half as I watched a few other matches with Irish players playing.

I think he is as consistent or inconsistent as our other midfield options in the Championship or League One. Hendrick, Smallbone, Browne, Molumby & Knight have all blown hot and cold sofar this season, yet he has more goal contributions (3 goals and 1 assist) than the lot of them together and he was a month out injured in September too. He is playing for a team currently second in the Championship and starting regularly for them when available.
I think he is worth a look at.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 11:07pm
Has to be conszidered 

Posted By: Greenie50
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 2:56pm
Yeah, any AM getting a few goals/assists at the top end of the Championship should certainly get a look in.

Posted By: Englishborn
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 7:58pm
as a Blackburn fan who watches him regularly.  He's got a good work ethic but maybe lacks in the technical department.  He's a bit of a hot and cold player 

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

as a Blackburn fan who watches him regularly.  He's got a good work ethic but maybe lacks in the technical department.  He's a bit of a hot and cold player 

Looking at Blackburns results they seem to be hot and cold themselves. 11 wins but have lost 8 games. If he's got a good work ethic he'll fit right in hopefully.

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 8:31pm

Doesn't sound like he could add much to us in that case. We need someone not lacking in the technical department. 

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 8:50pm

Watched him a lot at Peterborough, he's streaky, always gets back in the side, impresses but doesn't sustain it. Tends to narrowly miss the target when shooting instead of making sure he works the keeper & one on one he's not a safe bet, seen him miss a lot when through on goal. Think it's telling how the Peterborough fans weren't bothered he moved on, they got tired of watching him whinge & wave his arms around as they got relegated.

All that said, he got his move, he's getting minutes at the top end of the Championship so he must have something, he just doesn't have it every week

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 9:49pm
He's fast, hardworking, and has a decent eye for goal. He's not a Wes type playmaker but he's a decent player doing quite well in the Championship. Deserves his chance.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Heimatklange
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 10:00pm
szcintillating pace

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 10:12pm

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Looking at Blackburns results they seem to be hot and cold themselves. 11 wins but have lost 8 games. If he's got a good work ethic he'll fit right in hopefully.

Yes he's a hard worker 

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Doesn't sound like he could add much to us in that case. We need someone not lacking in the technical department. 

He's an honest player but not particularly gifted

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 10:09pm

Watched him a lot at Peterborough, he's streaky, always gets back in the side, impresses but doesn't sustain it. Tends to narrowly miss the target when shooting instead of making sure he works the keeper & one on one he's not a safe bet, seen him miss a lot when through on goal. Think it's telling how the Peterborough fans weren't bothered he moved on, they got tired of watching him whinge & wave his arms around as they got relegated.

All that said, he got his move, he's getting minutes at the top end of the Championship so he must have something, he just doesn't have it every week

He's definitely getting better

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 5:59pm
Szcores!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 8:48pm
Szcores again, could be a giant killer. Rodgers could get the chop soon enough I'd say!

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Shermanator1
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 10:15pm
I've watched a few of his recent games.  He's lively, with good and clever movement off the ball. He possesses a good shot, and seems to have an eye for goal.  An interesting prospect, as he offers something different.  One to keep an eye on.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Shermanator1 Shermanator1 wrote:

An interesting prospect. One to keep an eye on.

He's 28 in a few months. 

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 10:42pm
Young Szmodics has been recommended for an EIRE call up by Martin O'Neill

-------------

Posted By: Shermanator1
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:03am

He's 28 in a few months. 
At 27, is he past his expiration date?  Over the years we've had a number of players who've made their debuts in their mid-twenties and have gone on to have productive international careers. My point was, that he offers something different.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:19am

He's 28 in a few months. 
At 27, is he past his expiration date?  Over the years we've had a number of players who've made their debuts in their mid-twenties and have gone on to have productive international careers. My point was, that he offers something different.

Haven't said that at all. He may bloom late or he may continue to be inconsistent & regularly miss chances that have to go in. But at 27, what he is not, is a prospect any longer. 

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:35am

He's 28 in a few months. 

Haven't said that at all. He may bloom late or he may continue to be inconsistent & regularly miss chances that have to go in. But at 27, what he is not, is a prospect any longer. 

Whether he is or not, prospect has absolutely zero to do with age.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 8:00am

He's 28 in a few months. 

I would say it's the amount of attacking talent coming through that is more relevant that Szmodics age. At 27, he still has plenty of years left - but the likes of Ferguson, Obafemi, Connolly, Idah etc will probably put paid to his chances of playing much for us anyway.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 9:40am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He's 28 in a few months. 

I would say it's the amount of attacking talent coming through that is more relevant that Szmodics age. At 27, he still has plenty of years left - but the likes of Ferguson, Obafemi, Connolly, Idah etc will probably put paid to his chances of playing much for us anyway.

To be fair to Szmodics, he is an attacking midfielder (#10) rather than a forward. I'm not sure he is good enough for a call up tbh (he struggles to consistently hold down a first team place at Blackburn), but his age absolutely shouldnt be a barrier. We have had plenty of players whose best performances for Ireland have come in their late 20s/30s.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:53pm
Jonathan Walters made his senior Ireland debut at 27yo.
Enda Stevens made his debut at 27yo.
Keith Andrews made his debut a 28yo.
They are just a few examples of players who made their senior debuts later in their career and there are plenty of others down through the decades. All of them did a job for Ireland, some more than others no matter how people rated them.
The three above made their way up through the lower leagues and got playing in the Premier League and with Ireland. Ireland has a history of late developers from the mid twenties on.
You just never know how a players careers can go, either up or down. Some players get lucky or unlucky with injuries, joining the right team at the right time or thing click for them late in their career.
I don't bother righting off players anymore, just wait and see how their career pans out. There are always surprise and players that come out of left field layer in the careers to be an option for us.
Szmodics  could will find himself in the Premier league  with Blackburn in the next season or two, or he could go on a goal scoring run in the Championship, then we would all be calling for his inclusion into the Irish Squad. Or he might not. 
Other than Cullen, who will be in the Premier League next season,  I don't think most of our midfield options are knocking it out of the park in the Championship or are playing in League One. All have shown bits of form like Molumby lately. So I wouldn't right off Szmodics just yet.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

They are just a few examples of players who made their senior debuts later in their career and there are plenty of others down through the decades. All of them did a job for Ireland, some more than others no matter how people rated them.
The three above made their way up through the lower leagues and got playing in the Premier League and with Ireland. Ireland has a history of late developers from the mid twenties on.
You just never know how a players careers can go, either up or down. Some players get lucky or unlucky with injuries, joining the right team at the right time or thing click for them late in their career.
I don't bother righting off players anymore, just wait and see how their career pans out. There are always surprise and players that come out of left field layer in the careers to be an option for us.
Szmodics  could will find himself in the Premier league  with Blackburn in the next season or two, or he could go on a goal scoring run in the Championship, then we would all be calling for his inclusion into the Irish Squad. Or he might not. 
Other than Cullen, who will be in the Premier League next season,  I don't think most of our midfield options are knocking it out of the park in the Championship or are playing in League One. All have shown bits of form like Molumby lately. So I wouldn't right off Szmodics just yet.

Agree with all of this, Wes, Didzy and Daryl Murphy are other lads who really only got going in their mid to late 20s. I think we all tend to look at the young lads in the hope they develop quickly and become PL quality in their early 20s, but there's plenty of evidence of players really only emerging on to the international stage much later and not just for Ireland either.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: dangere_here
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 2:26pm
Says Goulash is his favourite dish and went to a stag in Budapest once, Kenny better get capping him before it ends in heartbreak. 

Posted By: dangere_here
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 2:27pm

Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Agree with all of this, Wes, Didzy and Daryl Murphy are other lads who really only got going in their mid to late 20s. I think we all tend to look at the young lads in the hope they develop quickly and become PL quality in their early 20s, but there's plenty of evidence of players really only emerging on to the international stage much later and not just for Ireland either.

Wes was playing Champions League football in his early 20s in fairness Wink

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net