Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57820
Printed Date: 10 May 2024 at 10:08pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Housing Market
Posted By: McG
Subject: The Housing Market
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 3:08pm
No doubt this will spell the end for the current government but you cant help but feel that there is now enough noise being made that something might be done.

What a joke of a country Thumbs Down

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Replies:
Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

No doubt this will spell the end for the current government but you cant help but feel that there is now enough noise being made that something might be done.

What's wrong with the housing market now? Are you talking about the funds buying estates?

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

What's wrong with the housing market now? Are you talking about the funds buying estates?

A myriad of issues. Mainly unaffordability and yes, the vultures. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 3:55pm
The lads some it up. 

https://youtu.be/8-xEOvfNTRc" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/8-xEOvfNTRc

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 4:44pm

Have we ever been happy with the "affordability" of houses? There's clips from the 70's of people arguing about the cost of housing. SF blocking every proposed council development so they can claim "the government is building nothing " is the main blocker from development at the moment as I see it

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:02pm

Have we ever been happy with the "affordability" of houses? There's clips from the 70's of people arguing about the cost of housing. SF blocking every proposed council development so they can claim "the government is building nothing " is the main blocker from development at the moment as I see it

All 1st hand, 2nd hand and apartments are being hoovered up by Vulture funds with heavy tax incentives.

People aren't getting an opportunity to buy.

The video clips above sums it up to be fair.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:04pm
In my own experience in the council its the FG members that block most things, talking out both sides of their mouth.

I used to work at the housing policy meetings, same councillors blocking things over and over on nimbyism grounds. Mainly elderly long serving councillors. 

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:20pm
Last week was the straw that broke the camels back. The vulture funds snapping up housing and then the back slapping about the affordable housing at prices circa 400k...it shows how out of touch they truly are with people.

I'm 32, living at home, have a good job, decent savings and decided it's time to buy a house. I worked all through Covid so plenty of extra money at my disposal. Houses will be almost given away surely??... How wrong I was.

Prices have gone up. Housing estates, certainly down this way have seen increased building and in some cases this has meant nice quiet estates have all been turned into nothing short of a favela, with every extra bit of concrete hijacked to have a house on it.

I applied for a mortgage back in June and got accepted. What I got couldn't get me a fancy shed however, never mind a house. I saved my arse off in the interim 6 months and reapplied. Extra savings plus a raise at work. I'm thinking I'm looking at a decent increase here... I managed to show a projected increase of about an extra 12k for 2021 and my approved mortgage went up by.....4000 euro.

I refuse to rent. Its a scam. Unfortunately it seems the housing market is an ever bigger scam. Its an absolute joke what people get away with. Estate agents have the power to literally make it up as they go along and take full advantage. 

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:33pm
Yeah the past year has been a disaster for people house hunting. Construction slowdown reduced supply, and people saving more boosted demand. 

I know it’s tough to do but if ya can sit it out another year this temporary spike should resolve a bit

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:36pm
Why will everything be fine in a year?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Il Principe
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:39pm
why the obsession with buying a house, all you do is make the banks even richer

use all that money to start a business, educate yourself, invest etc

renting is not a scam, it's gives people freedom, move whenever, no maintenance or hassle etc

30 year mortgage and then after that they sell the exact same house to some other poor sod for another 30 years, it is not a good investment, the interest you pay over that time could buy another house ffs

more often than not you never even own the house, the bank does Wink

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:41pm

They really really aren’t. 
What they are blocking is the handing over of public land to private developers in exchange for 20% “public housing” 

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

renting is not a scam, it's gives people freedom, move whenever, no maintenance or hassle etc

30 year mortgage and then after that they sell the exact same house to some other poor sod for another 30 years, it is not a good investment, the interest you pay over that time could buy another house ffs

I’ll sell my house tomorrow and rent it back for 3x times my mortgage Clap

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:45pm

Let’s tease this out a little.  For arguments sake you are living in Dublin and you have rented all your life spending more money per month on rent than you would on your mortgage.  In addition your rent goes up every year or two whereas your mortgage payment generally stays the same or May go down.  Then when you retire you still have to pay rent even though your income may have halved if you are lucky.   What would you propose
For a 67 year old who has never bought.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Of course it won’t but how do you break it to a lad he will be living with his parents for a lot longer.

You have to give him some hope and tell him it will be okay next year. 

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 6:09pm

That doesn't really make sense sure rent is far higher then mortgage and you are at the mercy of landlords and increasing prices for the next 30-odd years and then what happens when you retire. 

Houses beside me are renting for 2.5 times what I'm paying per month for my home loan 

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Last week was the straw that broke the camels back. The vulture funds snapping up housing and then the back slapping about the affordable housing at prices circa 400k...it shows how out of touch they truly are with people.

I'm 32, living at home, have a good job, decent savings and decided it's time to buy a house. I worked all through Covid so plenty of extra money at my disposal. Houses will be almost given away surely??... How wrong I was.

Prices have gone up. Housing estates, certainly down this way have seen increased building and in some cases this has meant nice quite estates have all been turned into nothing short of a favela, with every extra bit of concrete hijacked to have a house on it.

I applied for a mortgage back in June and got accepted. What I got couldn't get me a fancy shed however, never mind a house. I saved my arse off in the interim 6 months and reapplied. Extra savings plus a raise at work. I'm thinking I'm looking at a decent increase here... I managed to show a projected increase of about an extra 12k for 2021 and my approved mortgage went up by.....4000 euro.

I refuse to rent. Its a scam. Unfortunately it seems the housing market is an ever bigger scam. Its an absolute joke what people get away with. Estate agents have the power to literally make it up as they go along and take full advantage. 
That's a result of a lack of competition for ya. 

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 7:24pm
It all depends where in the country you live, but from my perspective it's a simple case of supply and demand. Like sham said above, he's saved a pile in the last 12 months. Unfortunately for sham he wasn't the only one, so the short supply is under even more pressure because loads of people now have enough of a deposit to get a mortgage. We are seeing crazy numbers here. Im talking 15% in the space of 6 weeks. 3 bed semis going for close to boom prices. Poxy 3 bed semis in a small village going for more than a nice 3 bed semi was going in a town less than 12 months ago.

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 7:51pm

Yeah the past year has been a disaster for people house hunting. Construction slowdown reduced supply, and people saving more boosted demand. 

I know it’s tough to do but if ya can sit it out another year this temporary spike should resolve a bit

Seems a strange post when you replied asking me what was wrong with the housing market? 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 7:56pm
https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-3-bed-townhouses-opus-6-hanover-quay-hanover-quay-dublin-2/1442728

4k a month LOL

Unbelievable. I'm sure there are a lot more expensive, it was just the first google search I did.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 7:59pm
Q:\ How does the affordable housing work?

Do you pay rent back on the property per month? 
or
Do you own it? and pay back a % similar to a mortgage.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 8:06pm

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-3-bed-townhouses-opus-6-hanover-quay-hanover-quay-dublin-2/1442728

4k a month LOL

Unbelievable. I'm sure there are a lot more expensive, it was just the first google search I did.

Yeah but El Principle is only paying rent of €48k a year.
The landlord had to buy the house for €600k.

Do the maths, €48k is less than €600k
The tenants are getting the better deal. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 8:19pm
This came up before too. Nice to give the house to family when you croak it. 

“Hello Mr Landlord, can I hang a picture on the wall”

f**k that 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 8:31pm
I think most who have bought homes had a very hard time when they started off .
We built in the boom years and it was the hardest thing i have ever done in my life time , saved for years and had to deal with builders and excusses every day . 
When we got our morgage after a down payment we has €26 left in the bank to last until pay day .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 8:48pm

Well we're not gonna get our dream house for 300k, but the current backlog will have cleared a bit anyway

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

What they are blocking is the handing over of public land to private developers in exchange for 20% “public housing” 
That big plot of land up in Clonshaugh up next to where I work, residents were crying out for houses to be built, in an area with a lot of SF voters. SF councillors who were also locals, decided at the last minute to not listen to their neighbours and voters, and to vote against the proposals. A lot of people feel the orders came from up high. 

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 8:52pm

Seems a strange post when you replied asking me what was wrong with the housing market? 
My reply to you wasn't asking what was wrong, it was more what made you post it today. Property Market has been crazy for a long time now. Sorry by your original post I assumed there was some story breaking today or something

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 9:15pm

Well we're not gonna get our dream house for 300k, but the current backlog will have cleared a bit anyway

But the backlog is hoovered up by vulture funds. What's the issue.

Whole estates just been given to these associations.

I have to check this but I recall approx 25k homes in around D13 and beyond none of these were available to the general public.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 9:21pm

But the backlog is hoovered up by vulture funds. What's the issue.

Whole estates just been given to these associations.

I have to check this but I recall approx 25k homes in around D13 and beyond none of these were available to the general public.

Non residents can’t buy houses in NZ.
It won’t solve all the problems but I think this is a good start.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 9:25pm

Oscar Traynor was 50% affordable and social, that's a good mix. Was a good proposal, should've been voted through.

Haven't come across the 20% thing, have you a link? 

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 9:58pm
I wonder will the greater access to remote working allow
for more people working and living outside Dublin. In addition will
It free up office space in central Dublin for apartments and homes.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 10:14pm
Myself and the fiancée plan to move to Donegal in the near future. We both have permanent jobs in Dublin, herself as a vet and me as a teacher. Would we be able to get a mortgage on the proviso that we currently are in permanent  jobs in Dublin or would we have to show that we have permanent jobs lined up closer to home? She'd be ok picking up one but a permanent contract for me right away would be nigh on impossible but I would be able to get a fixed term/temporary one alright. 

Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Myself and the fiancée plan to move to Donegal in the near future. We both have permanent jobs in Dublin, herself as a vet and me as a teacher. Would we be able to get a mortgage on the proviso that we currently are in permanent  jobs in Dublin or would we have to show that we have permanent jobs lined up closer to home? She'd be ok picking up one but a permanent contract for me right away would be nigh on impossible but I would be able to get a fixed term/temporary one alright. 

You will have issues with the bank.  You will need to be able to show you can work in Donegal otherwise it’s an investment property.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 13 May 2021 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I think so. My own plan is to move permanently back home to Westport once I get the mortgage up in Dublin paid off. 

Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 12:48am

That's already happening, we are seeing it a good bit. Not massive but noticeable. Broadband is the biggest obstacle but we are seeing a lot of people move home from big urban centres

As for office space being changed into living accommodation - it is not that straight forward apparently. Complete different set of building regs so it's extremely costly. Not even sure how possible it is

-------------

Posted By: Jackal
Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 1:20am
In Cork if a house is worth say €180,000, the council are coming in right away and putting down bids of €200,000 and more and more. So in normal working or deprived areas, the council are making the prices extortionate. 

Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:10am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I think so. My own plan is to move permanently back home to Westport once I get the mortgage up in Dublin paid off. 

You mortgage free soon or you talking about 20 years or so? 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:14am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

That's already happening, we are seeing it a good bit. Not massive but noticeable. Broadband is the biggest obstacle but we are seeing a lot of people move home from big urban centres

As for office space being changed into living accommodation - it is not that straight forward apparently. Complete different set of building regs so it's extremely costly. Not even sure how possible it is

If the latter can’t happen there will be major pushback as nobody wants the major cities to turn into ghost towns etc so if they can’t sort out the latter aspect it may delay the former part imo.  I have no doubt it will happen in individual cases but a widespread policy will only happen if they can secure the future of the city centres imo with housing instead of the empty office spaces.  I think over the next 5 years it will probably be evolution rather than revolution and it will be this hybrid model of 2 or 3 days in the office for
many people.  What impact that will have on pubs coffee shops cafes shops etc in the city centre will be interesting to see and I suspect it will see a drop in their sales and maybe a drop in rates and rents also.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:39am

You mortgage free soon or you talking about 20 years or so? 

Hoping to have it fully paid in 7 years.  

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 9:59am

Unless they suddenly allow people to buy houses on hire purchase this is simply 100% untrue.

But I do agree that renting is not a scam. I rented for about 10 years before buying and it was perfect for me at that stage of my life. Although renting when I did was a hell of a lot cheaper than it is now. We had a 3 bed townhouse in Dublin 16 for €1,050 a month.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 10:25am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Prices have gone up. Housing estates, certainly down this way have seen increased building and in some cases this has meant nice quiet estates have all been turned into nothing short of a favela, with every extra bit of concrete hijacked to have a house on it.

Sham: Surely you'll be voting out the government parties at the next election then!!!

Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 10:52am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Oscar Traynor was 50% affordable and social, that's a good mix. Was a good proposal, should've been voted through.

I think it's only a proposal to increase rule 5 from 5% to 20%

-------------

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:01am

Hopefully something like this happens, it would be at least 2-3 years before you'd see any impact 

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

I think it's only a proposal to increase rule 5 from 5% to 20%

Had heard that alright, I would deal a lot with Part V, an imperfect system but it does deliver homes 

Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 3:01pm

You will have issues with the bank.  You will need to be able to show you can work in Donegal otherwise it’s an investment property.  

Cheers Baldrick...I'll have to work on that then so. Saying I am going to stay with a friend midweek and home for the weekend probably won't cut it I'd imagine

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 3:44pm

Not sure why you felt the need to tell us exactly what the two of you do for a living tbh.

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 3:57pm
Because if he was the owner of Amazon he wouldn't really have anything to worry about.

But i'm not sure if you're taking the p*ss here, beacuse wasn't there another thread where someone said what they did for a living ( for relevence) and someone got high and mighty about the need to tell us.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Not sure why you felt the need to tell us exactly what the two of you do for a living tbh.

It might help me as someone that is giving advice might have been in a similar boat or knew someone doing something similar... Sorry if I made you feel vexed....it was a fairly scumbaggy thing to write alright. Except my humblest apologies

Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 4:22pm

It might help me as someone that is giving advice might have been in a similar boat or knew someone doing something similar... Sorry if I made you feel vexed....it was a fairly scumbaggy thing to write alright. Except my humblest apologies

BSM - you need to get over here and hand out some bans for this insane and disgusting behaviour. 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

BSM - you need to get over here and hand out some bans for this insane and disgusting behaviour. 

Are we even sure this guy is a teacher? Big smile

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 4:24pm

Why do you care? 

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 4:32pm
The applicants' type of employment is pretty relevant to a discussion about applying for a mortgage I would have thought. Strange thing to get hung up on.

Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 4:46pm

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Are we even sure this guy is a teacher? Big smile

That is pretty embarrassing alrightLOLEmbarrassed 

Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 5:23pm
LOL

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 5:50pm
The Bronze in action 

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 6:06pm
Loves an auld edited post does Trig

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

I wonder is he an editor alas he will never tell us his profession 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 14 May 2021 at 6:45pm

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

I wonder is he an editor alas he will never tell us his profession 

At least he's not a fireman. Those feckin fireman. They've got it coming ya know.

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:25am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

The applicants' type of employment is pretty relevant to a discussion about applying for a mortgage I would have thought. Strange thing to get hung up on.
Well apart from shamtheram and he only just said he has a good job nobody else mentioned the exact type of job they do so it’s not really relevant in my view. On the housing issue itself there was always a housing problem in this country but it’s only now we’re hearing more about it because a lot of middle class people their children can’t afford to get a house and the self entitlement of these people is starting to show now and you really see it on ybig.

Date Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:39am
Jaysus trig. What do you consider middle class?

In Dublin, regular working people are having to live at home with parents longer and longer, even if they have a fairly good job. Maybe have a chance of getting an apartment in a concrete jungle out in citywest or blanch and and kind of stuck with something like that unless they get with someone who also makes a half decent wage then they might just get something with a bit of a garden near public transport. 

There is no east answer but one of the first things the government can do is start charging the f**king vultures taxes so its not as attractive to come in and with support of financial companies shore up the market. We have demand of housing now we don't need the vultures. 

Date Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:50am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

In Dublin, regular working people are having to live at home with parents longer and longer, even if they have a fairly good job. Maybe have a chance of getting an apartment in a concrete jungle out in citywest or blanch and and kind of stuck with something like that unless they get with someone who also makes a half decent wage then they might just get something with a bit of a garden near public transport. 

There is no east answer but one of the first things the government can do is start charging the f**king vultures taxes so its not as attractive to come in and with support of financial companies shore up the market. We have demand of housing now we don't need the vultures. 
It was only in the Sunday paper last week about middle class families using savings and pensions some of which was close to €150,000 to help their children buy houses in the same area as them! This is also driving up prices and affecting normal working class people who just can’t compete with that.

Date Posted: 15 May 2021 at 7:34am

There is no east answer 

Yes there is. Get the f**k out of Dublin and move somewhere nice Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2021 at 8:06am

Andy that's been like that forever. My inlaws bought a gaff in Santry in the 80's - it was fields all around, probably equivilent to buying in Citywest back in the day. These things settle down, build up around them. With a population rising, there's no physical way everyone can get a house near their parents.

Date Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:13am
so much sh*te talk here.  Of course there is a housing issue and it is different to before and it does hit the middle classes more than it did before but that’s the very definition of a housing problem when people who have well paid jobs cannot buy a house either in a couple or esp as single people.  It was always hard to buy a house and you had to save and interest rates were high but a mixture of unemployment high interest rates emigration and single income families meant that house prices did not see huge growth until the 90s and the 00s.  If a couple of a combined income of 100k struggle to buy a house now due to high rents and high house prices what chance does someone on the average wage of 38k have on their own.  That is a housing crisis.  So the tone of having a pop at “middle” class families moaning about the housing issue is a load of rubbish because it’s all connected.  It was always tough to buy a house,  now it’s down right impossible for many people and the renting situation is a disaster too. Greater regional spread of jobs and remote working is a partial solution to this but individually that works for some but it won’t for many esp people who work in jobs tied to Dublin such as a teacher or a bus driver or whatever it may be.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:37am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

There is no east answer 

Yes there is. Get the f**k out of Dublin and move somewhere nice Clap

Going west, north or south of Dublin isn't an east answer... 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:37am
Hey us culchies have buses and schools too you know Big smile

Putting aside my crap humour  it's stating the obvious by saying its a supply and demand issue. What it takes is political will to solve the issue. It isn't rocket science but for whatever reason the government seem unable or worse unwilling to tackle it and as a result they'll pay the price at the next election. 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:44am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Putting aside my crap humour  it's stating the obvious by saying its a supply and demand issue. What it takes is political will to solve the issue. It isn't rocket science but for whatever reason the government seem unable or worse unwilling to tackle it and as a result they'll pay the price at the next election. 

It's not.

It's about vulture funds getting tax breaks and buying most if not all of the available property.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:52am

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

It's not.

It's about vulture funds getting tax breaks and buying most if not all of the available property.

4% of properties are owned by these funds.  There was a housing crisis before they arrived and there will be one if they leave.  It is a supply issue as not enough houses haven been built since 2011 and now that supply is being constrained by entry to the market of such funds into buying already completed houses. Big issue is new apartments which are being built and bought by these funds. Anyone who thinks this is a recent event and will be solved by removing this issue has not been following this.  There are many small factors but the biggest factor is lack of supply in the right areas.  The lack of supply is for many reasons,  cost or land, cost of debt, cost of building etc etc and developers and builders margins. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:32am

Your job couldn't be any more relevant to the question you asked LOL

Teachers and firemen have long been on Trig's hitlist. We can add vets to the list too now I suppose.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:32am
The last census showed that there were approximately 250,000 vacant dwellings in Ireland. Many of these will be in a dilapidated state and I can't understand why the government aren't CPO'ing all of these and redeveloping them for social housing.

Banning airbnb will address the lack of rental properties, as Covid has shown. 

Date Posted: 15 May 2021 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

The last census showed that there were approximately 250,000 vacant dwellings in Ireland. Many of these will be in a dilapidated state and I can't understand why the government aren't CPO'ing all of these and redeveloping them for social housing.

Where are the vacant properties though.  No much good if they are stuck up a mountain or in a very remote area.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 15 May 2021 at 11:18am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Teachers and firemen have long been on Trig's hitlist. We can add vets to the list too now I suppose.

This fella has a serious chip on his shoulder. Some deeply rooted resentment for some bizarre reason LOL

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 15 May 2021 at 12:16pm

A vet must have euthanised his beloved ferret or something

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 12:32am

Where are the vacant properties though.  No much good if they are stuck up a mountain or in a very remote area.  

Some people want to live in remote areas or up a mountain, but there are plenty of derelict buildings between the canals in Dublin. A lot of work has been carried our in Summerhill in the last couple of years to bring these back up to spec but walk around any residential street around Dublin City centre and you will see it.

I saw a TV show, many moons ago, where a wealthy builder was taking over such properties and using local youth to work on them and learn a trade. It was making housing available, creating employment and giving locals an education. I never understood how more councils didn't pick up on this initiative.

Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:47am
Every major city in the world has a housing problem.
More than 50% of adults are priced out of the market and property developers are buying more than ever.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:48am

Some people want to live in remote areas or up a mountain, but there are plenty of derelict buildings between the canals in Dublin. A lot of work has been carried our in Summerhill in the last couple of years to bring these back up to spec but walk around any residential street around Dublin City centre and you will see it.

I saw a TV show, many moons ago, where a wealthy builder was taking over such properties and using local youth to work on them and learn a trade. It was making housing available, creating employment and giving locals an education. I never understood how more councils didn't pick up on this initiative.

The amount of houses that the Dublin councils own is minuscule.  Any of the ones that are vacant are almost certainly privately owned and as a result not the councils responsibility.  

You said 250k are vacant.  I would be interested to know the geographic spread and how many are in service areas etc.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:31am

Well nobody else on the thread felt the need to tell us what they do! I’ve no problem with teachers they have a very hard and responsible job.

Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:34am
nobody else on the thread had an issue with him mentioning his job so what’s your point? .  Why does it bother you that he mentioned his job in the context of a debate about housing and how unaffordable it is for those with a decent job .  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 10:31am
There are plenty of empty houses around but it depends what the definition is. Is it a kip that needs 200k spent on it to make it livable with no broadband in the area? I would wager a huge amount of them are.

The housing market is ****ish in Dublin. I would absolutely hate to be trying to buy there. Its nowhere near the same down here but it is starting to show signs that it is about to get very difficult. The market isn't normal at them moment. I'd say perspective buyers are gone up by about 30% with the amount of people who have saved deposits and been approved for a mortgage over the last year. But stock has gone down by about 15% as well. That's a hell of a swing 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 11:47am

nobody else on the thread had an issue with him mentioning his job so what’s your point? .  Why does it bother you that he mentioned his job in the context of a debate about housing and how unaffordable it is for those with a decent job .  
It was a debate about housing alright yet he could have just said we have two jobs no need whatsoever to say the exact type of jobs! Think it’s just the way Irish fans have gone in general and it’s very noticeable on this forum and on away trips especially that the fans have become very middle class and not so many working class fans anymore.

Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 11:51am

It was a debate about housing alright yet he could have just said we have two jobs no need whatsoever to say the exact type of jobs! Think it’s just the way Irish fans have gone in general and it’s very noticeable on this forum and on away trips especially that the fans have become very middle class and not so many working class fans anymore.

Wtf😀😀😀. Who bloody cares if a person is a teacher or a bricklayer or a ceo, a bib man or unemployed on an Ireland trip.   Part of the fun of a trip is meeting people from all walks of life and not giving a sh*t about any of that.  You seem to have a hang up about what you call middle class people.  

Teachers are on roughly the median wages esp in their 30s.  How does someone making 30 to 40k a year in their 30s and can’t afford to buy a house in anyway middle class ffs. Many bricklayers would earn a good lot more than a teacher too.  

I think your out of date views of the world are redundant to be honest. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 12:04pm

This is a bonkers post LOL

Forget the chip, there’s a Boulder on your shoulder lad. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 12:09pm
There is a serious over-simplification of the term "middle-class" and how it applies to Irish households.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 12:13pm

There is a serious over-simplification of the term "middle-class" and how it applies to Irish households.

Big time and in many senses it’s out of date and it is meaningless.  In some instances traditional working class jobs can earn much more than traditionally middle class jobs.  Anyway who gives a sh*t, when I meet someone on an Ireland trip whether they run their own business or are a ceo or they are unemployed or a public sector worker or a solicitor, I don’t care.  Will they buy me a drink is my only question 😀😀😀

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 10:34pm

LOLLOLLOL I wasn't debating about housing ya mad thing, I had a very specific question about a mortgage that occupations would play a part. Anyway, thanks to the couple of lads that gave me useful answers. And thank you Trigboy for giving me a good laugh!! You'll probably recognise me from 114 and you'll realise I'm upper class, not middle classThumbs Down

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 16 May 2021 at 10:50pm
The oddest oddball on a forum full of oddballs.

Edited by Trigboy.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:26am

LOLLOLLOL I wasn't debating about housing ya mad thing, I had a very specific question about a mortgage that occupations would play a part. Anyway, thanks to the couple of lads that gave me useful answers. And thank you Trigboy for giving me a good laugh!! You'll probably recognise me from 114 and you'll realise I'm upper class, not middle classThumbs Down

He'll recognise you from your monocle and top hat.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Date Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:58am

It was Baldrick who first mentioned the word debate i was only referencing it back to him. No hassle happy to help when i can.

Date Posted: 17 May 2021 at 10:14am
LOL you’re a strange one Trig. 

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 17 May 2021 at 5:27pm
Posh boy Bronze 

Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:10am

As someone who works in a bank I can tell you it was very relevant to his question. As a public servant he is in a more advantageous position for getting a mortgage (including exceptions on >3.5x salary) than those in the private sector. He could have said he worked in the Dept. of Education but most would have guessed teacher anyway even if they hadn't read his comments on Covid in schools in other threads. In relation to his partners job, again relevant as "professionals" are again in a better position when it comes to mortgage applications.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:21am

As someone who works in a bank I can tell you it was very relevant to his question. As a public servant he is in a more advantageous position for getting a mortgage (including exceptions on >3.5x salary) than those in the private sector. He could have said he worked in the Dept. of Education but most would have guessed teacher anyway even if they hadn't read his comments on Covid in schools in other threads. In relation to his partners job, again relevant as "professionals" are again in a better position when it comes to mortgage applications.

Not sure why you needed to tell everyone that you work in a bank to be honest. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:22am
Who'd have thought this serious thread could become so amusing. 

Ireland's problems are been replicated across the western world in different forms. And as we have such sh*t rental options once the prices go sky high it makes the housing issue 10 times worse. 

The tax on rents are very high, why not try and bring those prices down by giving a tax cut if landlords reduce the rental prices? 25% of ministers are landlords themselves which doesn't help, and there are probably others who have shared properties in their family/partners names. Michael Healy Rae has the most properties, just the modest 16 for the man of the people.  

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:28am

LOL

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:54am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

LOL

Poor form Sausie. You're worse than a fireman. 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: Roberto_Carlow
Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 11:50am
Fully expect Sausy to be smoking 50 euro notes in Lisbon looking down on the working class peasants amongst our support.

Disgusting

Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Fully expect Sausy to be smoking 50 euro notes in Lisbon looking down on the working class peasants amongst our support.

Disgusting

LOL

He'd literally love to that too LOL

Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 12:10pm

ah FFS Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 12:11pm

Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Disgusting

LOL

He'd literally love to that too LOL

Me and Trapped do enjoy our annual cigar so could be persuaded to move onto cash.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2021 at 12:25pm
Are any of our fans still working class heroes like Trig? Broken Heart

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net