It's 2006. It's the Celtic Tiger...

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: Other Forums
Forum Name: Whatever!
Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57798
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 8:34am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: It's 2006. It's the Celtic Tiger...
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: It's 2006. It's the Celtic Tiger...
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 9:44pm
...what are we up to?

1. Buying breakfast rolls from Centra
2. Working part time for 10 euro an hour and buying properties and creating a portfolio
3. Getting haircuts in Toni & Guy
4. Planning on buying a yacht even though you have 2000 euro in you bank account

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 10:29pm
finished 5th year in school. 

Part time job in Supervalu. And working with the father plastering in the summer. Well labouring. So was actually good money as a 17 year old. 

First proper girl friend as well. And a bit of freedom going out drinking. 

Good times to say the least. 

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 10:31pm
Buying a yacht while working part time is pretty impressive. 

The boom, much like the bust thankfully, passed me by. 

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 10:48pm
graduated from college and got a job paying graduates 17k. Had a 10 year old fiesta which was bomb proof. used to booze friday and saturday and wake up with stinking hangovers....would feel 100% by lunchtime. good times.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 11:15pm
Got my now wife up the duff. Was 23 at the time. The end.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 12:19am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I was ripping the pissLOL

There was one lad on here after the boom circa 2010 (think it was Vivakenbarlow or SirAlex) boasting about their property portfolioLOL

For 95% of my purchases my mindset has always been if you dont have the money to pay for it in your account you can't buy it. 

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 12:31am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

There was one lad on here after the boom circa 2010 (think it was Vivakenbarlow or SirAlex) boasting about their property portfolioLOL

For 95% of my purchases my mindset has always been if you dont have the money to pay for it in your account you can't buy it. 

Using that logic you would never buy a house or start a business or for some buy a car.  It depends on what you are buying and what the interest rate is. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Using that logic you would never buy a house or start a business or for some buy a car.  It depends on what you are buying and what the interest rate is. 

Why do you think I said 95%?Confused

-------------

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 6:24am
Drinking over priced pints 7 nights a week. Partied hard!

Bought an overpriced apartment at 24 with a tracker mortgage! Still have it and rent out to my mother in law.

Thankfully I bought my current gaf right at the bottom in 2012 so you win some, you lose some.

Remember builders on sites in 2006 were saying the arse was going to fall out of the market, credit drying up, etc.

Nobody listened.

Was talking to a builder the other day and he reckons they'll have a boom 12/18 months then is expecting a crash in their field.

Forget your financial experts on newstalk or rte. One thing I did learn is that the labourers and taxi men were first to see signs of the crash Thumbs Up

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Was talking to a builder the other day and he reckons they'll have a boom 12/18 months then is expecting a crash in their field.

Forget your financial experts on newstalk or rte. One thing I did learn is that the labourers and taxi men were first to see signs of the crash Thumbs Up
The problem with people like David McWilliams getting credit for calling the alst crash, is that every Tom, Dick and Harry are constantly saying "there'll be another crash soon", thinking they'll look smart if it ever does happen again. 

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

The problem with people like David McWilliams getting credit for calling the alst crash, is that every Tom, Dick and Harry are constantly saying "there'll be another crash soon", thinking they'll look smart if it ever does happen again. 

There is no skill in saying there is a crash,  the skill is to say the extent of it and the timing although that’s more luck too. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 12:09pm
The skill is making $2.6 Billion on the market crash.
I give you Bill Ackman.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

There is no skill in saying there is a crash,  the skill is to say the extent of it and the timing although that’s more luck too. 

Tbh I'm more talking about lads "on the grounds" experience. I remember at the peak in 06 a carpenter telling me the work has started to dry up, that there seemed to be an issue with getting paid, etc - everyone else was saying there be no crash. 

A number of months later, bang!!!

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 2:11pm

Bought an overpriced apartment at 24 with a tracker mortgage! Still have it and rent out to my mother in law.

Thankfully I bought my current gaf right at the bottom in 2012 so you win some, you lose some.

Remember builders on sites in 2006 were saying the arse was going to fall out of the market, credit drying up, etc.

Nobody listened.

I don't think housing will cause any downturn for a long time. There's such a big shortage I'd be surprised if in 5 years they're freely available. 

Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 4:06pm

Nobody listened.

Remember having the same conversations with chippies when I flew home every few months. Slowly bit by bit you could see during 2006 things were slowing.

Charlie pulled a stroke with stamp duty in a budget around 2004 which gave the sector a 24 month boost but then the arse fell out of things. Luckily for Charlie he had high tailed long before the collapse. It wasn't a coincidence either I suspect. 

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 4:20pm
My business went bang at the start in 2006 as contractors went bust. Saw it coming a mile away.

I was ‘painting houses’ for a year as I couldnt draw the scratch as I was ‘self-employed’.

Good times all the same although it spawned some amount of kunts.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 4:27pm
http://m.independent.ie/business/irish/minister-makes-u-turn-as-tax-relief-schemes-extended-25917269.html" rel="nofollow - http://m.independent.ie/business/irish/minister-makes-u-turn-as-tax-relief-schemes-extended-25917269.html

This stroke kept things going for awhile. Remember it well. A few months later he headed to Brussels knowing full well what was coming. 

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 4:37pm
...and there was one I had bent over here, one up here I was fingering and I was just toe f**king the other one on the floor

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

My business went bang at the start in 2006 as contractors went bust. Saw it coming a mile away.

I was ‘painting houses’ for a year as I couldnt draw the scratch as I was ‘self-employed’.

I know you’re full sh*te Gary but you hardly think we’ll believe you were a hitman 

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 6:22pm
House prices have gone a bit mad in the last two weeks believe it or not. 3 bed semi in an average sized Mayo town sale agreed for 210k. If asked the value 4 weeks ago I'd have said maybe 150/160

Loads more examples.

I think these people will end up in negative equity almost immediately. Lots of panic because of the pent up demand

Also don't think there will be anything like the last crash. Apart from those few examples, banks have been very tight on lending. There could very well be a bit of a trough but I hope not a crash 

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

finished 5th year in school. 

Part time job in Supervalu. And working with the father plastering in the summer. Well labouring. So was actually good money as a 17 year old. 

First proper girl friend as well. And a bit of freedom going out drinking. 

Good times to say the least. 

This was me also!!!

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

House prices have gone a bit mad in the last two weeks believe it or not. 3 bed semi in an average sized Mayo town sale agreed for 210k. If asked the value 4 weeks ago I'd have said maybe 150/160

Loads more examples.

I think these people will end up in negative equity almost immediately. Lots of panic because of the pent up demand

Also don't think there will be anything like the last crash. Apart from those few examples, banks have been very tight on lending. There could very well be a bit of a trough but I hope not a crash 

Same issue in 07 and similar story in the UK and USA right now. House prices are at all time highs.

I bought a flat in London in 2006, I remember at the time there was panic as every year houses went up 20-30%. All my friends were buying and all the talk was ‘get on the ladder’. 

Shure there were lads in Dundalk buying flats in Dubai. 

-------------

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 7:23pm

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

I know you’re full sh*te Gary but you hardly think we’ll believe you were a hitman 
LOL
Knew someone would like the reference.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 7:29pm
I started a job that year at the Northern Ireland Land Registry in Belfast - they basically couldn't get enough staff in to keep up with the volume of work that kept coming in. And it got madder the following year. A lot of staff were temp/agency staff so it was handy enough to cope with the crash. Thankfully, I had got in as permanent staff. 

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 7:46pm
I worked there myself years ago , in the 80s when it was located in River House in High Street. House sales are going mad right now in NI/UK because of the temporary stamp duty holiday. A nasty little tax that takes a big bite out of buyers' funds, avoiding it while the opportunity exists makes a big difference for a lot of people.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 8:16pm
Finished college and started working in a fruit and veg shop on a full & part time basis for the next 6 years on minimum wage while doing a second needless college course. Best craic I ever had in a job despite the sh*te pay. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 8:23pm
I started working in 2006, was too young to really see the gravy train, and as a result I was such cheap labour, companies were happy to keep the likes of me on through the bust. Don't think I ever really experienced the high (though we tried our best to fake it), but never got caught with property or redundancy either. 

Posted By: Jock
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 8:56pm
the lack of due diligence back then from the banks was unreal. I was on my placement with a contractor and one of the lads I worked with, was just basically inflating his salary and putting it on headed paper and he was forging the directors signature at the bottom of it. Done that three times in a space of a year to get funds for properties. They werent looking pay slips, bank statements etc. 

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

the lack of due diligence back then from the banks was unreal. I was on my placement with a contractor and one of the lads I worked with, was just basically inflating his salary and putting it on headed paper and he was forging the directors signature at the bottom of it. Done that three times in a space of a year to get funds for properties. They werent looking pay slips, bank statements etc. 

And the financial regulators. Totally asleep at the wheel. Unhappy

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 11:02pm
Funnily enough while property prices went through the roof around 2006/2007 (2 up 2 down former Dublin corporation houses going for £350,000 on Cabra), I think the real fun years of the tiger were between 1998 and 2003 when people seem to have a lot of cash. After that a lot of people got up there own arses going off to NY for shopping trips/buying villas in Bulgaria all on cheap credit. It had to go tits up. My main memory of 2006 was pacing the corridors of the Rotunda waiting for our first and nipping across to Conways to watch the world cup.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 02 May 2021 at 11:01am
Enjoying the glory days of 21's on a Wednesday and Barcode on a Thursday as a failing student in NUIM. Working part-time in the local Eurospar on a decent enough wage and coaching with Samba Soccer during the holidays which got me to Crete that summer. Good times.

Too young at that stage to have suffered from the crash that would hit 2/3 years later. Remember the bank offering stupid amounts to students to go away during the summers, even if they had very little regular income. 

Thought life would always be that way. 

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 02 May 2021 at 11:03am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Enjoying the glory days of 21's on a Wednesday and Barcode on a Thursday as a failing student in NUIM. Working part-time in the local Eurospar on a decent enough wage and coaching with Samba Soccer during the holidays which got me to Crete that summer. Good times.

Too young at that stage to have suffered from the crash that would hit 2/3 years later. Remember the bank offering stupid amounts to students to go away during the summers, even if they had very little regular income. 

Train tracks are ching ching, bit of cash, you know what I mean?

-------------

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 02 May 2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Redz on a Monday, Wednesday 21s and Barcode on a Thursday would have been my 2006 as well. Finishing 1st year in college in Pats, heading into 2nd year. Some amount of Pro Evo played too! Best few years of my life. The amount of drinking done was obscene and being at a college with 75% women had it's perks as a single young lad! Economy crashed as I was coming out of college. Managed to get my first teaching job so wasn't too bad as I had money for the first time as everything was coming down in price! Still in same job with a 2 year break in Manchester. Looking to move home next year. My 18-30s years will be looked back with fondness it's fair to say. Had some time!

Date Posted: 02 May 2021 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Funnily enough while property prices went through the roof around 2006/2007 (2 up 2 down former Dublin corporation houses going for £350,000 on Cabra), I think the real fun years of the tiger were between 1998 and 2003 when people seem to have a lot of cash. After that a lot of people got up there own arses going off to NY for shopping trips/buying villas in Bulgaria all on cheap credit. It had to go tits up. My main memory of 2006 was pacing the corridors of the Rotunda waiting for our first and nipping across to Conways to watch the world cup.

Well summed up - from mid 90s to 2006 all my money was spent of drink, drugs and football. Was a great time to be a teenager/ early 20s. I remember my maths teacher telling me to stop coming nto school hungover on mondays Sleepy

Wasnt on a mad wage after college but we were probably paying feck all tax. Didnt go on a holiday during those years either - didnt seem to be done by lads I hung around with - , but still felt loaded while partying! 

Cabra, you're right in your timing , my first sun holiday as an adult was in 2006, then a month in Thailand in 2007, the boom!!

-------------

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 03 May 2021 at 9:45pm

One thing I did learn is that the labourers and taxi men were first to see signs of the crash Thumbs Up

Not sure I'll be calling up my financial labourer for advice 

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 03 May 2021 at 9:54pm
I always a recall a friend buying a one bed near the Dublin mountains for 300k around 2005/2006 and just asked him how much is that gonna cost you over the full mortgage and he hadn't worked it out? Everyone else was doing similar. Pure daft, I was glad I wasn't caught up in it, it helped that I had very little money and wouldn't have been offered a 100% mortgage even if I wanted one.

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 10:14am
I started working in a Bank in 2006, got about 18 months of being mad busy during the day and work credit cards in the bar in the evening before the crash.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 10:22am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I started working in a Bank in 2006, got about 18 months of being mad busy during the day and work credit cards in the bar in the evening before the crash.

Being a junior in those days was good times.
All the senior people would pay the bar bills (most of it was deemed work expenses) and we had summer and Xmas parties- free bar. 

There was definitely a lot more riding within the work place in those days! 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Been a junior in those days was good times.
All the senior people would pay the bar bills (most of it was deemed work expenses) and we had summer and Xmas parties- free bar. 

There was definitely a lot more riding within the work place in those days! 

Great days, proper old school branch managers who would anything for they're staff. Unfortunately all long replaced by a new breed.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

One thing I did learn is that the labourers and taxi men were first to see signs of the crash Thumbs Up

The banks and developers will try cover problems up and try keep things going mad. The lads on ground see first when the work starts drying up, payment and credit been an issue, etc.

Certainly in 2006, the lads on sites were saying crash before the banks, a lot of financial experts, etc

Re comment on 100 per cent mortgages. I actually don’t see them as a bad thing. For example, now a couple could be paying 1500 a month in rent for 3 years, impossible to save for a deposit, but proving they could easily pay a mortgage over a significant period of time. Tbh they’d probably be paying 100s less. Think these lads should be able to get 100 per cent mortgages 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 11:10am

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

The banks and developers will try cover problems up and try keep things going mad. The lads on ground see first when the work starts drying up, payment and credit been an issue, etc.

Certainly in 2006, the lads on sites were saying crash before the banks, a lot of financial experts, etc

Re comment on 100 per cent mortgages. I actually don’t see them as a bad thing. For example, now a couple could be paying 1500 a month in rent for 3 years, impossible to save for a deposit, but proving they could easily pay a mortgage over a significant period of time. Tbh they’d probably be paying 100s less. Think these lads should be able to get 100 per cent mortgages 

I get your point and while rent paid is taken into account for calculating someone's repayment capacity it does massively effect ability to save. But 100% mortgages will drive property prices up further. The 10% deposit and max 3.5x salary were brought in to keep the market stable. With rents so high I really feel for people trying to save because moving home to parents to save isn't right for anyone.

-------------

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 07 May 2021 at 2:10am
It's the regular heralds Dublin weekly of wannabe Celebs such as Glenda Gilson and Gavin Lambe Murphy reporting from Lillies. 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Date Posted: 09 May 2021 at 12:00am
http://twitter.com/ActingTheGom/status/1391026909773971465" rel="nofollow - http://twitter.com/ActingTheGom/status/1391026909773971465

the good auld days LOLLOLLOL

-------------

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 09 May 2021 at 12:16pm
Just passed a luxury hot tube and jacuzzi van on the M50, we're back 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net