Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57657
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 1:56am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Pensions
Posted By: MayoMark
Subject: Pensions
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:30pm
Have been thinking of getting started on a private pension in the new year, even if it's putting in a small amount.

Have no idea how they work. Anyone here work in that area have any advice?

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Replies:
Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:42pm
It's a very broad subject so this mightn't be the best place to discuss it. In a nut shell the money is paid in before tax so it's a great way to reduce your tax. Loads of different funds depending on you attitude to risk but in general the funds are a mix of equities, bonds and cash with the fund moving towards 100% bonds/cash in the latter years to insure the arse can't fall out of it.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:48pm
Talk to a broker is your best bet Mark. Pensions are considered a "complex product" so you can't really buy it direct from a company. All the brokers have special deals with the providers, there's a good few online ones these days too.

Definitely a good idea to get one, getting it tax free is basically 40% free on your savings.

With regards to funds and company you chose from, the biggest this to look at is the allocation % (what % of every €100 you put in goes to your fund) and the Fund Management Charge (in my experience the lowest are best, the fancy fund managers taking 1% of your money each year aren't worth it in the long run).

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:49pm
the earlier you start the better. I started mine at 34 and even that was a late time to be starting.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:50pm
Thanks lads

It's hard not to be worried about losing your investment at some stage and ending up back at square one. But is it the case that this is very unlikely because these funds are generally so diverse?

-------------

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Thanks lads

It's hard not to be worried about losing your investment at some stage and ending up back at square one. But is it the case that this is very unlikely because these funds are generally so diverse?

You can chose the level of risk you are willing to take on what your pension is invested in. So if big risk isn't your thing, then you can select accordingly. 

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:52pm
Are you self employed?

If not, your employer should be making a monthly contribution on your behalf into your pension.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:55pm
don’t believe I’ve ever worked for a company that paid into a pension for me, and I’m working a looong time!

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Are you self employed?

If not, your employer should be making a monthly contribution on your behalf into your pension.

I don't think they are obliged to contribute anything

They can set one up alright and have a portion of my salary paid into it

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 3:01pm

Are you self employed?

Yep, employers are obliged to facilitate a pension for you but are not required to pay into it for you.

And where they do contribute it can vary wildly from matching to x5 times your contribution!  

-------------

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Are you self employed?

Yep, employers are obliged to facilitate a pension for you but are not required to pay into it for you.

And where they do contribute it can vary wildly from matching to x5 times your contribution!  

Yeah, that's it. And a lot have different pension schemes depending on your rank/role in the organisation. 

Blue collar slob, no contribution. White collar, 5% +

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 3:17pm
I would definitely recommend a broker and the main thing to consider is fees (plus customer service.)

The pension provider (Say Aviva) will charge you a monthly/annual fee for managing your account.

Then the fund(s) you invest in will also charge you an amount - this is based on how active they are.

It’s tax efficient savings so the best thing is to pay monthly so it’s an outgoing direct debit and you are not trying to time the market.

Then you need to decide on how much risk you want to take on. 

For me I split this up - 

I have 50% in a passive US Equity index fund that costs about 10bps
And the other is in an Active global Equity fund but the cost is close to 1% each year (tbf they have generated 28% annual returns over the last 3 years)

Your best friend in the market is time. The longer you are in it the better the return.

For me personally I don’t like the passive global indexes that cover equities / bonds / cash etc (low returns) or the UK index. As I live in the UK , if the stock market goes up, my house price will reflect that so I’m already in that market.

The US market is a beast. It does have huge corrections but it’s constantly going higher .... they have cheap access to capital and they innovate like nobody else.
The US market returns are about 10% over the long term so your money doubles every 7 years. 

For my daughter I’ve started investing in Tech specific sector funds (FB, Apple, Google, Microsoft etc). She is only one so she can handle the risk. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I would definitely recommend a broker and the main thing to consider is fees (plus customer service.)

The pension provider (Say Aviva) will charge you a monthly/annual fee for managing your account.

Then the fund(s) you invest in will also charge you an amount - this is based on how active they are.

It’s tax efficient savings so the best thing is to pay monthly so it’s an outgoing direct debit and you are not trying to time the market.

Then you need to decide on how much risk you want to take on. 

For me I split this up - 

I have 50% in a passive US Equity index fund that costs about 10bps
And the other is in an Active global Equity fund but the cost is close to 1% each year (tbf they have generated 28% annual returns over the last 3 years)

Your best friend in the market is time. The longer you are in it the better the return.

For me personally I don’t like the passive global indexes that cover equities / bonds / cash etc (low returns) or the UK index. As I live in the UK , if the stock market goes up, my house price will reflect that so I’m already in that market.

The US market is a beast. It does have huge corrections but it’s constantly going higher .... they have cheap access to capital and they innovate like nobody else.
The US market returns are about 10% over the long term so your money doubles every 7 years. 

For my daughter I’ve started investing in Tech specific sector funds (FB, Apple, Google, Microsoft etc). She is only one so she can handle the risk. 

When you know what your doing it's great but when you don't people will read the above and run a mile!!! How many people would be like yourself and manage their own pension, I reckon it's very low.

Thank God the mainstream option is managed funds. Pick your risk appetite and off you go. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 3:33pm
What would be the minimum contribution to make it worth while do ye think?

The state pension now is 12k per year. That would be more than enough in today's terms living here if you have no debt etc

But likelihood is that there will be little or no state pensions in 30-40 years

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 3:54pm
It varies but anywhere that has defined benefit pension schemes tend to get from 1/2 to 2/3 of their final salary as a regular pension payment. Idea is that when you retire the mortgage is gone and kids out of the house so you don't need the same level of income.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 3:55pm
My employer pension is with Mercer and then come in give examples.

Say if you contribute X now at age Y. You'll end up this figure.

From what I recall, and I am open to correction. You'd need about 600k plus to live some way reasonably post retirement.

That's what I took from the last meeting with them.

I contribute 5% and my employer contributes 6% and then I make AVC's every month too.

If you are saving 500 per month in your back, you'd nearly be better off making an 800e AVC to your pension, because your paying tax on the 500e savings.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 3:59pm

From what I recall, and I am open to correction. You'd need about 600k plus to live some way reasonably post retirement.

I guess that would be about right. Say you lived 20 years after retirement age, that's 30k a year. Be grand if you have house paid for etc. 

600k would make people gulp though. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I guess that would be about right. Say you lived 20 years after retirement age, that's 30k a year. Be grand if you have house paid for etc. 

600k would make people gulp though. 

This is where compound interest comes into play.
You need to be putting money in early - in your 20’s 30’s and 40’s so they are invested over a significant period.

Or work for in the public sector where defined benefits are gold.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 4:21pm

I'm not a public servant but have a defined benefit pension. I think the cut off date for it was the day before I started in 2006 and there was even a strike to get the dozen of so of us who started the same day on to it. I had no idea at the time how important it was to get it. It's split these days 80/20 in favour of DB over DC.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 4:28pm

I'm not a public servant but have a defined benefit pension. I think the cut off date for it was the day before I started in 2006 and there was even a strike to get the dozen of so of us who started the same day on to it. I had no idea at the time how important it was to get it. It's split these days 80/20 in favour of DB over DC.

Happy days ... you got in just in time.
Very rare to get that in the private sector. It’s pretty much non existent now.

-------------

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 4:50pm

I worry about mine a lot.

My employers contributions seems to have gotten worse each time I've switched job. First job they doubled the contribution now I am down to they will match 5%. I'm currently paying 9.5% in and they pay 5%. We get tax relief on it here so it is a good saving I think.

I read once that that depending on when you start paying in. Take the age you start your pension and halve it. Then put this % of your pre-tax salary into your pension each year until you retire. So someone starting aged 32 should contribute 16% of their salary for the rest of their working life

It seems huge but I have started increasing my contribution percentage whenever I get a pay rise. So I don't notice it in my monthly take home. I'm going to try to get mine up to 12% from me and 5% from them.

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 5:24pm
Might be a bit of a silly question but how does the payments work? Is there a pension that everyone gets and then the more you work and longer you pay into a the scheme the more you get? Finishing college this year so it’s not something I’ve thought about at all.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 5:52pm
public sector pensions are different now for anyone post 2013. In that its not based on your final 3 years salary it’s based on your average wage throughout your time in the public sector.  

It’s also based on 40 years service.  You can top it up if you don’t have enough contributions if you joined late say post 30.  

Pre 2013 but post 1995 a persons pension was based on their contributions and then final 3 years salary so if your average salary for the last 3 years was 40k. You would get 12k sw pension and 8k public service pension to make 20k.  You would also get a lump sump of 1 and half times your final salary which would be 60k.

Pre 1995 public servants did not pay a full stamp so they did not get the sw pension but got half their final salary in their pension so it was a public service pension of 20k. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Jackal
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Might be a bit of a silly question but how does the payments work? Is there a pension that everyone gets and then the more you work and longer you pay into a the scheme the more you get? Finishing college this year so it’s not something I’ve thought about at all.
You need 520 weeks work minimum for any kind of contributory pension. However,  a fella who goes 40 years without working will get a fairly good pension too.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

You need 520 weeks work minimum for any kind of contributory pension. However,  a fella who goes 40 years without working will get a fairly good pension too.

They will get the basic stage old age pension.  Approximately 12k per year or 230 per week. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

They will get the basic stage old age pension.  Approximately 12k per year or 230 per week. 

About €15 a week difference so.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:09pm

Not sure what your point is.  Do you think pensioners should be living on less than 230 per week.  

The amount of people who do not work one day in their life is pretty small.  Not saying it doesn’t exist but the basis of any decent welfare share is that their is a safety net for pensioners. It is only the pretty small minded that would begrudge anyone their old age pension. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:13pm

Not sure what your point is.  Do you think pensioners should be living on less than 230 per week.  

The amount of people who do not work one day in their life is pretty small.  Not saying it doesn’t exist but the basis of any decent welfare share is that their is a safety net for pensioners. It is only the pretty small minded that would begrudge anyone their old age pension. 
No, I don't begrudge any worker their pension. I'd be in favour of high pensions as people pay high rates of PRSI 

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:18pm
what do you think a person who doesn’t have the necessary contributions should get per week when they hit 65/67/68

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:20pm

what do you think a person who doesn’t have the necessary contributions should get per week when they hit 65/67/68
I would be of the opinion that it should not match someone with full contributions. Perhaps stay the way it is but have the person with the full rate getting 300 a week. You'd have to take things into account though like disability, child rearing etc, both of which I think should be worth a stamp.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:26pm

I would be of the opinion that it should not match someone with full contributions. Perhaps stay the way it is but have the person with the full rate getting 300 a week. You'd have to take things into account though like disability, child rearing etc, both of which I think should be worth a stamp.

So what funds the increase to 300,  greater prsi contributions ? Longer working period possibly to 70, increasing tax on those earning over 50k 70k 100k or increasing taxing for the whole workforce.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:27pm
Do ye think the state pension will still exist in 30/40 years? Have heard a lot that because the proportion of pensioners then will be so high that it is possible there will be no pension, or it will be extremely small 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:30pm

So what funds the increase to 300,  greater prsi contributions ? Longer working period possibly to 70, increasing tax on those earning over 50k 70k 100k or increasing taxing for the whole workforce.
I'd be a fan of the Scandanavian model. High taxes and we'll get high services. Although,  people were around in the 80s would tell you we had high taxes and low services.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:32pm

Do ye think the state pension will still exist in 30/40 years? Have heard a lot that because the proportion of pensioners then will be so high that it is possible there will be no pension, or it will be extremely small 

Who knows but if I had the opportunity to not rely on it I would be relying on it.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:34pm

I'd be a fan of the Scandanavian model. High taxes and we'll get high services. Although,  people were around in the 80s would tell you we had high taxes and low services.

That’s fair enough but where would you increase the taxes and who would pay the increased taxes. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:35pm

That’s fair enough but where would you increase the taxes and who would pay the increased taxes. 
I don't know. I'm thinking out loud I suppose. 

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 7:32pm
a few years ago I was at a pension presentation and the woman asked the question ‘what is the average life expectancy after you retire ? ‘ most people said 10 15 years etc she said 3 Shocked

Mightn’t be that bad starting to think about it myself

Worse case scenario is your health deteriorates and you can’t ‘enjoy ‘ your retirement 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

a few years ago I was at a pension presentation and the woman asked the question ‘what is the average life expectancy after you retire ? ‘ most people said 10 15 years etc she said 3 Shocked

Worse case scenario is your health deteriorates and you can’t ‘enjoy ‘ your retirement 

How did she work that one out.  The average age people die at in ireland is 82 that takes into account all the people who die young etc.   So if you retire there is a good chance you will have another 17 before you die and

Wouldnt be taking advice from her

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:03pm

How did she work that one out.  The average age people die at in ireland is 82 that takes into account all the people who die young etc.   So if you retire there is a good chance you will have another 17 before you die and

I'd say she was talking about the life expectancies when the original state pension age was set. I think in the UK it was 65. 

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:09pm

The Old age pensions isn't really designed to fund a lifestyle, it's basically menat as a safety net. Anyone who's lived on unemployment for any period of time knows it's not much. You can rationalise it in your head to live on 230 a week but eventually something unexpected goes wrong and you need more. 

I think some of the pension companies oversell the idea that you should have 50%-66% of final salary, assumeing you have mortgage paid off and kids are self-funding at that stage, but you'd still want a bit of your own fund.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:12pm

Pensions are actually a fairly new phenomenon, only came into existance in the middle of last century (before that people basically worked till they died). Up to recently we had the defined benefit idea, now that's evolved to defined contribution, so I suspect by the time we retire it will have evolved into something else. They'll find some way to make sure pensioners don't all die of hunger and cold, but I wouldn't be expecting many enjoying retirement on state pension.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:13pm

I think annuity rates at the moment seem to work off about 13 years as the assumption

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

I'd say she was talking about the life expectancies when the original state pension age was set. I think in the UK it was 65. 

Either way it's a  bit if bullsh*t info. was she trying to put people off getting a pension 😀 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:17pm
Thought it was low myself but tbh  I will likely drop dead still at work 

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:26pm
Oops, misread the title, as you were gents..

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Oops, misread the title, as you were gents..
LOL

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:29pm

The target should be some of the lads on the away trips.  Longer retired than they were working Tongue

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:32pm

The target should be some of the lads on the away trips.  Long retired than they were working Tongue

That boat has long sailed and it ain’t coming back 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:01pm
Well i have been paying into mine at work for around 20 years not going to get a whole lot out of it apart from a decent car i would say .

Live life while you can and spend it on things you want to do.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:09pm
murph please dont tell me you are going to blow your pension on a car that will depreciate like f**k once you drive out of the garage 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Well i have been paying into mine at work for around 20 years not going to get a whole lot out of it apart from a decent car i would say .

Live life while you can and spend it on things you want to do.

Like taxes?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:11am

murph please dont tell me you are going to blow your pension on a car that will depreciate like f**k once you drive out of the garage 
It's either that or the next 4 World and Euro Cups Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:15am

As much as he wants to blow it all on a new car, he cant. A certain amount has to go in to an annuity.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:26am

The target should be some of the lads on the away trips.  Longer retired than they were working Tongue

That’s the dream.

I worked with/for this guy and he was close to 60 but was very senior and loaded.
I asked him once why he was still working as he didn’t need the money. He said it’s because he has nothing else to do. He said he was too old to go travelling or take up golf etc. He said working with younger people keeps him young. He has no real hobbies outside work.

I thought it was a bit sad really. He has a really successful career but doesn’t seem like he will enjoy his retirement....

There is a good saying:

When you are young you have the energy and time to really live but don’t have the money.

When you are working you have the energy and money to really live but don’t have the time.

When you are retired you have the money and time to really live but you don’t have the energy.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:44am
Youth is wasted on the young  

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 10:52am

That’s the dream.

I worked with/for this guy and he was close to 60 but was very senior and loaded.
I asked him once why he was still working as he didn’t need the money. He said it’s because he has nothing else to do. He said he was too old to go travelling or take up golf etc. He said working with younger people keeps him young. He has no real hobbies outside work.

I thought it was a bit sad really. He has a really successful career but doesn’t seem like he will enjoy his retirement....

There is a good saying:

When you are young you have the energy and time to really live but don’t have the money.

When you are working you have the energy and money to really live but don’t have the time.

When you are retired you have the money and time to really live but you don’t have the energy.
Thought about this a bit alright, I had kids at 35, if their lives mirror mine in any way, they'll be finished college at 23 and have kids at 35. So for me, that's kids being less dependent when I'm 58/60 and I won't have grandkids until I'm 70+

I'd love to be able to retire early and have those 10 years with not many responsibilities still a bit of health, live somewhere sunny for a few winters, get a campervan around the states, go interrailing again go golfing/cycling whatever, then slow down when I'm 70 and help minding the grandkids.

All well and good having a plan till life punches you in the face, but no harm to have the dream all the same.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 10:57am

Some above have described the state pension, for your own private pension, you pay money from your salary each month into your own fund (tax free for the most part). The company you work for might pay some too. That hopefully grows each year until you retire. The goal then is to have enough saved after 40 years, to finance your final 15-20 years. 

Say you manage to get to €500k pension savings. If you can live off 6% of that a year, then ideally, you take €30k into your pocket each year, plus the state pension (€12k) and you've an income of €42k per years in retirement (pay tax on that). Your retirement fund (€470k remaining) will hopefully grow by 5% so you're only down to €495k or whatever. 

If you can continue to grow your fund in retirement, while living off the growth (or close to it), you'll have a nice lump sum to leave behind you too.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 11:15am
Jesus if the plan is to mind the grandkid when you are 70 you need a new plan 😀

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Some above have described the state pension, for your own private pension, you pay money from your salary each month into your own fund (tax free for the most part). The company you work for might pay some too. That hopefully grows each year until you retire. The goal then is to have enough saved after 40 years, to finance your final 15-20 years. 

Say you manage to get to €500k pension savings. If you can live off 6% of that a year, then ideally, you take €30k into your pocket each year, plus the state pension (€12k) and you've an income of €42k per years in retirement (pay tax on that). Your retirement fund (€470k remaining) will hopefully grow by 5% so you're only down to €495k or whatever. 

If you can continue to grow your fund in retirement, while living off the growth (or close to it), you'll have a nice lump sum to leave behind you too.

Jesus another mad goal to leave money behind.   f**k that live your life.  I find the Irish obsession with wills and leaving money behind for people is madness.  We saw in Kanturk what happens when that is taken to a tragic level.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 11:33am
If you've got kids, you got to leave them something, especially with the price of property etc..

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 11:49am

If you've got kids, you got to leave them something, especially with the price of property etc..

Leave your gaff behind. Mortgage free. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 11:49am

Leave them the house

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 12:29pm

Yeah exactly. We all hear these days how the only ones who can afford a house are those that got help with a deposit from family. Why wouldn't I try to do that for my own sprogs?

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 12:41pm

That’s the dream.

There is a good saying:

Thought about this a bit alright, I had kids at 35, if their lives mirror mine in any way, they'll be finished college at 23 and have kids at 35. So for me, that's kids being less dependent when I'm 58/60 and I won't have grandkids until I'm 70+

I'd love to be able to retire early and have those 10 years with not many responsibilities still a bit of health, live somewhere sunny for a few winters, get a campervan around the states, go interrailing again go golfing/cycling whatever, then slow down when I'm 70 and help minding the grandkids.

All well and good having a plan till life punches you in the face, but no harm to have the dream all the same.

It's very hard to plan out your life , but if you do what makes you happy it go's a long way .
Remember a yank giving me a lift many years ago saying that when he retires he is going to do all the stuff that i was doing at that time .
 I looked at him and said so Mountain climbing , surfing , shark fishing to name but a few , there was a long pause and he said "maybe" .
Live life to the full when you are young . 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 1:02pm

Yeah exactly. We all hear these days how the only ones who can afford a house are those that got help with a deposit from family. Why wouldn't I try to do that for my own sprogs?

Yeah, the lads talking about leaving them the house in the will, obviously that will happen, but they could be in their 50's by the time that happens.

I'm talking about when they are in their 20's or 30's and the want to buy a house etc..

You need to be making some sort of donation.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 1:18pm
Is there an incentive for employers to contribute to an employees pension?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 1:26pm

Yep. Its called happier employees.

-------------

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 1:34pm
Delete

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 1:41pm

Tax break.

My employer matches my contribution up to 5% per payslip

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: cullenswood
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 1:59pm
If you are under 40, lump as much as you can each month (up to the limit) into the "highest risk" plan your pension provider offers.     This would have a very high proportion in Equities, preferably US.    Forget about it, don't go looking at the market movements etc, they are all short term and you will have time to bounce back a couple of times.     

Yes, equities plummet at times (which is a cheap time to be buying them as a long term investment) but they come back time and time and time again.    Its the nature of the beast.     If you are risk averse start moving small proportions to less risky (and hence less return) assets.     The age you start doing this is up to yourself, but I won't be until into my 50s.    

Don't try and time the market though, this is the only thing you will fail at!

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 2:16pm

Yeah, the lads talking about leaving them the house in the will, obviously that will happen, but they could be in their 50's by the time that happens.

I'm talking about when they are in their 20's or 30's and the want to buy a house etc..

Exactly Horsey it makes far more sense to be giving kids a few bob when they need it and you are alive to enjoy them enjoying it and you can call over to the house.  

This idea that you need to leave money behind you for your kids beyond the house you live in is madness.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 2:18pm

You contradict yourself later on in your next post. Give your kids a start with a contribution to a deposit when they are in their 20/30/40s 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 3:09pm

Exactly Horsey it makes far more sense to be giving kids a few bob when they need it and you are alive to enjoy them enjoying it and you can call over to the house.  

This idea that you need to leave money behind you for your kids beyond the house you live in is madness.  
I think you're mixing up things here. My initial post was explaining the different options to someone who doesn't understand it. I was explaining your options at age 65 for financing the rest of your life are:
1. Annuity - you give someone like Zurich an amount of money, and they give a fixed amount each year. If you die after 2 years, you lose the rest of it.
2. ARF - you give someone like Zurich an amount of money, and they pay out a % of it to you every year, if it's managed well you have something left to pass on (or if you die early). Potential risk is if your fund performs badly and you run it down to zero with years still to live.

The purpose isn't to pass on an inheritance, but it's a bonus (hence why 90% of people are going the ARF route these days). 

Passing on to a kid in your 60's is separate. Say you've managed to save up €600k in your pension pot, you can draw down 25% of that tax free at retirement, so have a nice €150k to give to your kids at 65 (when they're house hunting)

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 5:12pm

Yep. Its called happier employees.

LOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 5:54pm
or even better enjoy the 150k yourself as you have worked bloody hard for it.  

I must say never expected 1 penny from my parents.   People don’t know what’s around the corner and they should enjoy their life.  If you are loaded and have enough money to share with your kids go for it but leaving money after you pass on beyond your house is a missed opportunity not a bonus.  That’s money that could have been spent when you were alive. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 6:16pm
Spend it on what exactly .

Can't leave the house at the moment to spend it.

Got a quote for a new wardrobe and your man wants 5k .

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: engpad
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 6:28pm
Is it rare for lads to be paying into pensions? 

I have been paying the max amount into my company pension since starting at 21, I pay 6% of my salary into it which is matched by my company by 9%. 

How does that compare to others? Are people maximising the tax benefits to further top this up?

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 6:34pm

Well I don’t think this the norm for the rest of our life.  I would be planning to travel as much in my 60s as I did in my 30s. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 7:35pm

Well I don’t think this the norm for the rest of our life.  I would be planning to travel as much in my 60s as I did in my 30s. 

So if you plan to travel a lot in your 60s are you writing off your 40s and 50s ?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 8:23pm

So if you plan to travel a lot in your 60s are you writing off your 40s and 50s ?

I am pretty sure he is talking about when he is retired Murph and has more freedom. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:34pm

No not writing them off but travel will probably be mostly 2 week holiday based or work based I suspect.  Can’t see any 3-4 week spin in Argentina or inter rail in Europe like I did in my 20s and 30s.  

As McG says yeah hopefully retired by 62/63 and be able to do the longer travel then that I did in my 20s and 30s 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 11:44pm

I must say never expected 1 penny from my parents.   People don’t know what’s around the corner and they should enjoy their life.  If you are loaded and have enough money to share with your kids go for it but leaving money after you pass on beyond your house is a missed opportunity not a bonus.  That’s money that could have been spent when you were alive. 

I would rather my parents blew their retirement on cruises, safaris or whatever they fancy. They didn't get a penny from their folks and worked their arses off all their lives. I have heard people reference 'early inheritance' from their parents and how they plan on spending it. Does my head in!

I have also been reliably informed that the latest trend in receiving early inheritance is to have your parents pay all your supermarket and petrol bills so that you get the benefit of it now and avoid paying inheritance tax down the line. Dead

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 12:01am
I know absolutely nothing about pensions...and being in my early 40s I probably need to get my act together....I’m taking it that having a pension with a bank isn’t the way to go then???

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 6:43am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

I know absolutely nothing about pensions...and being in my early 40s I probably need to get my act together....I’m taking it that having a pension with a bank isn’t the way to go then???
same as that and I save a few quid every month to after tax. Might arrange a chin wag with someone, preferably in this line of business.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 7:09am

same as that and I save a few quid every month to after tax. Might arrange a chin wag with someone, preferably in this line of business.

The main benefits are pre-tax savings and investing in funds (returns are much higher than bank account interest)
Ideally your employer should be sorting it out for you.

If you are self employed speak to a broker. You can make lump sum or regular payments before tax. 

You are late to the party starting at 40 but you still have 20+ years so get onto it ASAP. 

Your broker may scare you and tell you this amount is what you need at retirement so you should be putting X amount away each month. You need a balance. Put away what you can afford to save - you also need to live now. 

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 7:23am
Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

I have been paying the max amount into my company pension since starting at 21, I pay 6% of my salary into it which is matched by my company by 9%. 

How does that compare to others? Are people maximising the tax benefits to further top this up?

A lot depends on your profession and who you work for.

You would be in the top 1% if you started at 21 and are putting away 15% each month. You don’t need to top up any more.

I started my pension at 27 and it has ranged from 9 - 16%.
Now my company pays 6% but if I put in another 1-5% they will match it so I put in the full 5%. 

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 7:26am

No not writing them off but travel will probably be mostly 2 week holiday based or work based I suspect.  Can’t see any 3-4 week spin in Argentina or inter rail in Europe like I did in my 20s and 30s.  

As McG says yeah hopefully retired by 62/63 and be able to do the longer travel then that I did in my 20s and 30s 

I am about that age now and i still think i could hack it but 3rd class travel in Asia would be a no for sure and i have found climbing mountains is not as easy as it was long time ago . Time does catch up with you that's for sure .

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 8:57am

The main benefits are pre-tax savings and investing in funds (returns are much higher than bank account interest)

If you are self employed speak to a broker. You can make lump sum or regular payments before tax. 

You are late to the party starting at 40 but you still have 20+ years so get onto it ASAP. 

Your broker may scare you and tell you this amount is what you need at retirement so you should be putting X amount away each month. You need a balance. Put away what you can afford to save - you also need to live now. 
My employer will contribute a % towards a pension, its small I do know but cant recall how much exactly. I’ll find out though. Thinks it with Irish Life. I assume these are either transferable if you change employment or you can continue to pay in even if the new employer doesn’t facilitate.. also what happens if you end up on the dole in a year or 5 years time? Doe the amount already in the pot just remain static working away in the background?

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:03am

I'm not advocating becoming a hermit who saves every penny, but at the same time, I've a fairly cheap lifestyle, don't have any expensive hobbies, interests or vices. And with young kids, the opportunity to spend money has reduced even without Covid.

Things change, we'll see how I feel about things when I retire, but right now, I think it'd be nice to be able to get my family a start in life.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:05am

My employer will contribute a % towards a pension, its small I do know but cant recall how much exactly. I’ll find out though. Thinks it with Irish Life. I assume these are either transferable if you change employment or you can continue to pay in even if the new employer doesn’t facilitate.. also what happens if you end up on the dole in a year or 5 years time? Doe the amount already in the pot just remain static working away in the background?

Unfortunately they are locked in. You can’t access them until retirement (In the UK you can take out 25% tax free at 55 - not sure what the rules are in Ireland).
They will remain in your company’s pension plan until then.

If you move jobs you can transfer the pension to your new companys plan or leave it as is. However you won’t be able to still contribute to your previous employers pension anymore. But your money is safe... if you move jobs a lot it’s worth moving them to a single one so you can keep track of it.

If your new company doesn’t have a plan you can set one up yourself. It’s still tax deductible but it’s more admin for you.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:07am

I'm not advocating becoming a hermit who saves every penny, but at the same time, I've a fairly cheap lifestyle, don't have any expensive hobbies, interests or vices. And with young kids, the opportunity to spend money has reduced even without Covid.

Things change, we'll see how I feel about things when I retire, but right now, I think it'd be nice to be able to get my family a start in life.

Except for the gambling on equity options and crypto currencies 🤣

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:16am

You must have close to 500k at this stage?

I know a mate of mine is in the same position, he's been being paying into it from an early age and he would be a high earner.

I've stopped saving money into my savings account and the figure I was saving, I've doubled it and now put that into my pension as an AVC.

If you have a 100k in your pension at 65 and retire and live until 80.

That's approx 100e per week.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:35am

Nothing wrong having a pension with a Bank. The likes of BOI & AIB will have large Insurance & Investments arms that will offer the same pension options (managed funds etc) as Zurich or anyone else.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:38am

I am about that age now and i still think i could hack it but 3rd class travel in Asia would be a no for sure and i have found climbing mountains is not as easy as it was long time ago . Time does catch up with you that's for sure .

Murph I don’t think you are reading me right.  It’s kids which will stop the 3 to 4 week internet rail or trip to South America not my age.  As I said I hope to get back to it in my 60s 😀😀😀

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:41am

There are loads of options so well worth talking to someone, plenty of options out there. I'm not saying go down the route of a pension backed mortgage (which have been a disaster for people on their PDH's and IMO sought by wealthy people out of greed) but there's more to it than paying a couple of hundred in every month, not paying any attention and hoping for €500k when you hit 65.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:41am

I think that’s the point I would rather shoot myself than not have interests and hobbies such as long haul travel. Even ever Ireland game would be a nice dent in your 60s.  Surely you can think of something for yourself you can spend it on. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:53am

Except for the gambling on equity options and crypto currencies �£
Thin line between gambling and investing Wink

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:58am

You must have close to 500k at this stage?

I know a mate of mine is in the same position, he's been being paying into it from an early age and he would be a high earner.

I've stopped saving money into my savings account and the figure I was saving, I've doubled it and now put that into my pension as an AVC.

If you have a 100k in your pension at 65 and retire and live until 80.

That's approx 100e per week.

What happens if you've an emergency and need quick access to cash? 

Pay some of mine into a fund every month, only just joined but its grown at 10 %+ last few years, can access it as needed, can transfer it across to the pension as well if feel the lump sum saved is enough

Can get tax relief on the transfer too as I don't pay the max allowed into the pension 

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 10:01am

I think that’s the point I would rather shoot myself than not have interests and hobbies such as long haul travel. Even ever Ireland game would be a nice dent in your 60s.  Surely you can think of something for yourself you can spend it on. 
Like I said, I'm not advocating saving every penny. I have plenty of interests, but none of them are expensive (cycling and watching sport doesn't cost me much).

Savings has always been part of my expenditure. Some people save what is left over after a month, I prefer to save first, then spend what I have left. I find when I "save the leftovers", I invariably end up finding some crap to spend it on.

You make it sound like it's either do things in your 30's or do things in your 60's. I'm advocating both.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 10:08am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

What happens if you've an emergency and need quick access to cash? 

Pay some of mine into a fund every month, only just joined but its grown at 10 %+ last few years, can access it as needed, can transfer it across to the pension as well if feel the lump sum saved is enough

Can get tax relief on the transfer too as I don't pay the max allowed into the pension 

Pension funds can not be accessed until retirement.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net