Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57656
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 5:35pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bloody Sunday 1920
Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Subject: Bloody Sunday 1920
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 8:41am
A pivotal day in the Irish War of Independence. The impact that the early morning killings, almost exactly 100 years ago to the moment as I write this, had on the castle administration can't be understated. (My own grand uncle was part of the group who assassinated a British Intelligence Operative at Morehampton Road.)

The Croke Park Massacre that followed later in the day only served to the Irish publics resolve. Like it's name same up north 50 years later, the British government held a sham enquiry of which no one was ever found guilty 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Replies:
Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:11am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

A pivotal day in the Irish War of Independence. The impact that the early morning killings, almost exactly 100 years ago to the moment as I write this, had on the castle administration can't be understated. (My own grand uncle was part of the group who assassinated a British Intelligence Operative at Morehampton Road.)

The Croke Park Massacre that followed later in the day only served to the Irish publics resolve. Like it's name same up north 50 years later, the British government held a sham enquiry of which no one was ever found guilty 

Do they ever?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 10:36am

And an innocent civilian and wounded another!

Everything else is spot on Clap

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 10:44am
Highly recommend the Bloodied Field pod to anyone looking to know more about the day. Thumbs Up

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 6:30pm
Tremendous job from the GAA ClapClapClapClap

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

That's not definitive. The landlord, a Mr Smith, is alleged to have been a Castle informer. I've read the first hand accounts of some of the men who took part (inc. My grand uncle) in the military archives. He's referenced as a spy or intelligence agents in a few of them.

Now it's very plausible of course that this how they remembered  things retrospectively. It may have helped their conscious' to do so. Alot of the men suffered psychologically in later life. We'll never know for sure.

Certainly Lt McClean, who they killed, was a high ranking intelligence agent in the castle 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Neil Armstrong
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 8:48pm
Was Michael Hogan not shot at the Canal End?

-------------
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 8:48pm

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:21pm

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

That's not definitive. The landlord, a Mr Smith, is alleged to have been a Castle informer. I've read the first hand accounts of some of the men who took part (inc. My grand uncle) in the military archives. He's referenced as a spy or intelligence agents in a few of them.

Now it's very plausible of course that this how they remembered  things retrospectively. It may have helped their conscious' to do so. Alot of the men suffered psychologically in later life. We'll never know for sure.

Certainly Lt McClean, who they killed, was a high ranking intelligence agent in the castle 

Interesting, you'd certainly hope that was the case for all of them. 

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 12:32am
https://pogmogoal.com/the-blog-reel/from-don-patricio-to-debenhams-a-tale-of-rights/26558/" rel="nofollow - https://pogmogoal.com/the-blog-reel/from-don-patricio-to-debenhams-a-tale-of-rights/26558/

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:16am
Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

Was Michael Hogan not shot at the Canal End?

No.  The Carlisle Grounds.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net