Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57652
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 11:50pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Positives
Posted By: Pubes
Subject: Positives
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 11:33pm
On a negative forum due to negative results, lets have a place for positivity.

There were some positives to talk about from this campaign, i.e. our possession stats.
Or upcoming players breaking into the team and showing great promise, i.e. J. Knight.

What are your 'positives'? 

Replies:
Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 11:38pm
tomorrow’s Thursday.

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 11:39pm
The positives we had have disappeared. Playing hoofball again.

Moulmby, Cullen, Knight, O'Shea look like they MAY become half decent

That is all.  Goodnight.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 11:42pm
I don’t have to watch us play for another 5 months.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 11:42pm
Dara O Shea looks quality. Hopefully he keeps on progressing.
As bad as we have been we have given O'Shea Knight Idah Parrott Moulmby some gametime. Will surely stand to them in time.
As much as he gets stick i think Hendrick has rediscovered some of his better form under Kenny. Thats my opinion.
Better possession stats which is a start. Need to capitalize on our chances.

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 11:47pm
possession stats don’t win games !!!

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I don’t have to watch us play for another 5 months.

LOL 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Dara O Shea looks quality. Hopefully he keeps on progressing.
As bad as we have been we have given O'Shea Knight Idah Parrott Moulmby some gametime. Will surely stand to them in time.
As much as he gets stick i think Hendrick has rediscovered some of his better form under Kenny. Thats my opinion.
Better possession stats which is a start. Need to capitalize on our chances.

I would agree with you on Hendrick. I think we really missed him tonight. Cullen was decent when he came on. Really need him to establish himself at Anderlecht.

Apart from tonight the passing and possession have both been positives.

While he didn't score, I also thought Collins looked useful tonight and when he came on on Sunday. Don't get why he was written off so quickly on here. 

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 11:56pm
Hopefully with these covid vaccines coming along I'll get enjoy that kind of performance in person in March.

Posted By: belt
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 11:59pm
Must be around 30 players capped over the 8 games so anyone who has a realistic shot of playing in the March qualifiers will have been in and around the squad and gotten game time.

I'm not sure he is any closer to knowing his best team than he was at start of Sept thoughLOL

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 12:12am
I like the new jersey

But it needs white shorts, not green like tonight

I'm optimistic that we will wear white shorts in future as Bulgaria usually wear green shorts - I think we only wore green tonight to prevent a clash

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Posted By: Given's zimmerframe
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 12:39am
Dara OShea is the new John oshea
We didnt lose

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 12:51am
O shea: Is seriously good, like could probably play for someone like England good. Reading his GAA background where he was a prodigy makes me believe he has the attitude and values to go on to be a top defender.

Knight: for a young fella and quite raw, had also a super attitude.  Seems like someone you could hang your hat on. 

Cullen: came on and seemed like he was quite suited to a conductor role. Ok he is no roy keane but he was able to make space in the middle, receive a pass, put the head up and pick out a good pass.  We have seriously lacked that in other games.

We have a lot of players to come back and a vaccine has been found:
The sooner things get back to normal, players don't have to pull out for covid reasons and we have the fans back in out stadium  we will be able to lift it up a gear im sure

Posted By: Liam Green
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 1:07am
My pet ferret Frank is 3 tomorrow and your all invited to his birthday as he looks forward to another year...Smile

Posted By: avfc
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 1:16am
1. We can't get any worse.
2. The Aviva was empty - I  feel large chucks of the crowd would have turned on Kenny and that's never nice to see. 11 hours without a goal would get a nasty reaction from any crowd. 2021 is going to be a tough year for the guy.

3. O'Shea is quality. We have a good back 5 overall. Duffy needs to improve or be dropped.

4. Cullen will be a functional player for us. The likes of Smallbone and Knight have potential. McCarthy is still there. Midfield could become half decent.

5.  Parrot and Connolly could be a very good strike force.

End of Year Report

This requires a massive rebuild. A rebuild that imho is way beyond Kenny's scope. Plenty of good experienced managers will be available next year that knows our calibre of player and will command the respect of the dressing room. Kenny is now a lame duck manager. It's obvious. He's done. Pay him off.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 3:54am
O’Shea was remarkably good v wales. Never hid.
Surprised by the quality of his movement as I saw him as a stopper. His passing was also crisp and accurate.

He reminded me of D***** R*ce. Amazing that he played across the back line, but i reckon he would be our best midfielder if we put him there.

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 7:12am
Them Mexicans were bloody brilliant weren't they? 3 cheers for Ramires...

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Southstandman
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 7:17am
Not being disrespectful men. The Rovers contingent were not injured last night .  

-------------
We are Shamrock Rovers we"re Irelands number 1 .

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 7:26am
I think if Kenny is still the manager in March we have to go with O'Shea and Egan at the back as Duffy and Long are not cut out to play Kennyball .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I think if Kenny is still the manager in March we have to go with O'Shea and Egan at the back as Duffy and Long are not cut out to play Kennyball .
I'd go a step further and go 3 at the back, with no Duffy or Long.

Coleman Egan O'Shea. 
Doherty and Stevens on either wing then.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 8:24am
Long is good enough to be a starter for us IMO. Hopefully he can keep his place when Mee and Tarkowski are fully fit.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Roberto_Carlow
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 8:41am
The WC qualifier draw is a few weeks away, there is vaccines on the horizon, and we will get to go and support the team again next year.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 8:53am
Didn't get relegated

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Didn't get relegated

The fear I have we get relegated to group C and everybody thinks it’s a formality we bounce back up but we end up a mid table group C team.

So today after reflection, this is a small positive.

I’m still angry about the subs. Every one should have been made 10-15 mins earlier. 

-------------

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 10:25am
The raft of withdrawals meant that a lot of younger players got to get some valuable game time that they may not have otherwise - likes of O'Shea, Knight, Molumby, Idah etc.
Brady's set piece deliveries were decent for the most part.

That's about it really.

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 10:55am
We definitely won't be drawn against Denmark or Wales in the next Nations League tournament.

Shane Duffy very likely to win Goal of the Year at the next FAI Awards, place your bets down the bookies now!

Posted By: SeanyL
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 11:01am
O’Shea looked ok last night. That’s about the only positive I can take from the game. 

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 11:04am
The Slovakia performance was a big plus and I feel had we scored one of the several good chances (Connolly's steal or Hourihane's sitter) then we'd be in a very different place now.

Losing that took the wind out of our sails and the boat was then torpedoed by Covid and injuries from which we never recovered.
Even with that, we should not have lost twice to Finland in very even games and we had the beating of a very poor Wales side in the home match.

Seems all the gods were out against us and I am hopeful things will swing around in the new year.

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 11:48am
Instead of drawing 1-1 with teams (predictably we would go down and score in the 86th minute with a set piece)

We are now drawing 0-0 with teams. 

I do think we are creating chances in games. Duffy missed headers he was scoring before.

Kenny has now seem a lot of players available to him and I would expect he has his first team in mind.

Players promoted to the first team from u21s with oshea, molumby and Knight standing out. 

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

The raft of withdrawals meant that a lot of younger players got to get some valuable game time that they may not have otherwise - likes of O'Shea, Knight, Molumby, Idah etc.
Brady's set piece deliveries were decent for the most part.

That's about it really.

Consistency-wise, last night was the best they've been in years.

Another positive is I think it's clear Byrne can play at this level, regardless of whether he's a Rovers player or not. Whether he gets another opportunity is another thing, but he deserves one.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Terzino
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 3:11pm
When we pass the ball with a bit of pace and accuracy we look quite good. It's a shame it happens so sporadically though.

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Another positive is I think it's clear Byrne can play at this level, regardless of whether he's a Rovers player or not. Whether he gets another opportunity is another thing, but he deserves one.
On the basis of what?

Whipping in a half decent cross from a free position against a pot D team shorn of nine players?

I'd be confident enough of managing that

Need a bit more than that I'm afraid

Kenny clearly thinks he's not up to it as he only threw him in as a last resort after several matches, in a match where we were down the very bare bones

This is one instance where I would trust Kenny's judgement

Daryl Horgan put in some very nice crosses, better crosses, over the last few matches and some people here are lamenting him being even in the squad and saying he's not up to the level

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

On the basis of what?

Whipping in a have decent cross from a free position against a pot D team shorn of nine players?

I'd be confident enough of managing that

Need a bit more than that I'm afraid
He was constantly showing for the ball and wanting the ball a lot more than some of the players and was able to move the ball into positions quickly which again contrasted to others.
Yes, he did get caught dwelling on the ball once but also showed he can quickly track back and put in a good tackle to stop the counter. Should have been given a longer run last night as could have made more of difference given longer. 

Posted By: SeanyL
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 5:12pm
I agree with Sid, Irish fans always have a "if only this fella or that fella was playing" Byrnes reputation seems to be enhanced the more he doesn't play. 

Posted By: shakeyshamrock
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:11pm
We're playing at the same level as what we were before at the very least, except we now look to keep the ball (albeit not always successfully). 

Per Emmet Malone in the times today: 

"Overall, Ireland had as many attempts on goal per game, on and off the mark, over the course of this campaign as they had in last year’s under Mick McCarthy"

Cliche time: Goals change games. You have to take your chances. 

We haven't, and so everyone thinks it's the end of the world - the good news is, there have been chances. 

In each game we've played (apart from against England maybe..) there has been at least one clear-cut chance made that we would expect to score. I'd argue that the quality of those chances was better than anything we would have made (scored or otherwise) under Mick 2nd time, or even back to under MON or Trap. 

Like the Curtis one the other night - we opened them up by passing, had a good ball played to player running through on his own in the middle of the goals with only the keeper to beat. That's not the kind of chance I'm used to seeing us making - and in future, hopefully our players will start taking them.. is that the kind of chance that a Connolly or a Robinson or a Parrott would take better advantage of? 

So yeah, results were crappy (not like they've been amazing since 2016), but lots to be positive about if you actually like football and want to see the Ireland team develop into a good ball-playing side. 

Roll on the draw and the qualifiers, and let's hope we can get back in the ground and cheering them on! 

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

We're playing at the same level as what we were before at the very least, except we now look to keep the ball (albeit not always successfully). 

Per Emmet Malone in the times today: 

"Overall, Ireland had as many attempts on goal per game, on and off the mark, over the course of this campaign as they had in last year’s under Mick McCarthy"

Cliche time: Goals change games. You have to take your chances. 

We haven't, and so everyone thinks it's the end of the world - the good news is, there have been chances. 

In each game we've played (apart from against England maybe..) there has been at least one clear-cut chance made that we would expect to score. I'd argue that the quality of those chances was better than anything we would have made (scored or otherwise) under Mick 2nd time, or even back to under MON or Trap. 

Like the Curtis one the other night - we opened them up by passing, had a good ball played to player running through on his own in the middle of the goals with only the keeper to beat. That's not the kind of chance I'm used to seeing us making - and in future, hopefully our players will start taking them.. is that the kind of chance that a Connolly or a Robinson or a Parrott would take better advantage of? 

So yeah, results were crappy (not like they've been amazing since 2016), but lots to be positive about if you actually like football and want to see the Ireland team develop into a good ball-playing side. 

Roll on the draw and the qualifiers, and let's hope we can get back in the ground and cheering them on! 

We are a lot more open and look much more vulnerable. Our main attacking potential comes from our full backs but the system negates their attacking threat and exposes their defensive frailties. The high line and lateral passing in our half is high risk low reward strategy.

BIG SAM: “I’ve always regarded losing possession in your own half as a criminal offence.”

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:37pm
We played Gibraltar and Georgia twice in the last campaign. We’ve played stronger teams overall under Kenny.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:39pm
The key area of focus is scoring goals and a lot of fingers are pointed at Kenny and that's not without merit as he picks the team. 

However, if we look at the goal scoring issue with perspective 

From 2017 to current day, Shane Duffy is our top scorer with 4 goals, this includes retired players too. Mcclean is second with 2 i believe.

If we had Robbie Keane in his prime now, then the lack of goals over the last 8 games would sit largely with Kenny.

But this is a problem that Kenny needs to solve rather than to be blamed for, I look at some of the chances missed and a few really should have been converted. 

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:50pm

We played Gibraltar and Georgia twice in the last campaign. We’ve played stronger teams overall under Kenny.
would Kenny have bettered 10 points from those 4 games?

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:51pm
We have a manager who f**king loves the Ra

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

I think so but what do I know.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 2:00pm

Would mccarthy have done better over the last 8 games? I seem to remember some pretty shocking games against Gibraltar. Kenny has started badly but let's not pretend that mccarthy was some sort of tactical genius.

Posted By: jimjims
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 2:06pm
Positive number 523: There isn't a huge difference between Pot 2 and 3. I'd take a lot of teams over Russia any day.

Posted By: shakeyshamrock
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 2:38pm

We are a lot more open and look much more vulnerable. Our main attacking potential comes from our full backs but the system negates their attacking threat and exposes their defensive frailties. The high line and lateral passing in our half is high risk low reward strategy.

BIG SAM: “I’ve always regarded losing possession in your own half as a criminal offence.”

Under Mick we conceded 7 goals in 10 games (2 games v Gibraltar) 
Under Kenny we have conceded 7 goals in 8 games 

so the stats don't bear out the contention that we're more vulnerable.. 

if you limit it to competitive games: 

Under Mick we conceded 5 goals in 8 games. 
Under Kenny we conceded 4 goals in 7 games. 

again, no real indication that we're more vulnerable.. 

But yeah, tell me again how your eyes see something different to what the facts suggest - or are you a "you can prove anything with facts" merchant?

we can go back further if you like: 
Under MON, 55 games, 56 conceded (>1 goal a game)
Under Trap, 64 games, 64 conceded (=1 goal a game)

Let's see where SK ends up after 55-65 games and then we can talk about if the system he wants to play makes us more vulnerable.. 

btw, Big Sam - wasn't he the one who took bribes after finally getting the England job? haven't you had enough corruption in Irish football with Delaney? 

Posted By: Four-Four-Two
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 4:29pm
our expected goals conceded under kenny is 0.6 and we concede 0.8, which is the same as Mick. our expected goals scored is over 1 but conversion way lower obviously

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Four-Four-Two Four-Four-Two wrote:

our expected goals conceded under kenny is 0.6 and we concede 0.8, which is the same as Mick. our expected goals scored is over 1 but conversion way lower obviously

So what yer saying is...we're due a load of goals to even out the stats.
Gotit Big smile

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

So what yer saying is...we're due a load of goals to even out the stats.
Gotit Big smile
I'd say our XG has been below 1 ever since Robbie packed it in

Posted By: triggs1993
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:18pm
Knight and o'shea have been impressive which is good to see. Would like to see cullen get some more games. 
Good to see troy parrott fit again. Hopefully he can break into the millwall team now and get some more experience.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:53pm

Can you explain this? How is our expected goals greater than 1 when past experience tells us this isnt the case?

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:54pm
The Sunderland thread will be busy every morning, noon and night again Clap

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Four-Four-Two
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Can you explain this? How is our expected goals greater than 1 when past experience tells us this isnt the case?

im not sure you understand what expected goals is. it has nothing ti do with prior experience, its an analytical formula

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:08am

Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

im not sure you understand what expected goals is. it has nothing ti do with prior experience, its an analytical formula

You're right, I dont understand!! I'd have thought an analytical formula would take account of past experience, if we only ever score one goal a game  why would we be expected to score more than one? Does it look at chances created and calculate their difficulty?

Posted By: cfdh_edmundo
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 11:34am

Isn't it balanced out though by the fact we also played Switzerland and Denmark in the last campaign, who are both stronger than the opposition SK has faced this far (aside from the Wembley friendly). Both were at the last World Cup, Switzerland topped their Nation's League group last time (ahead of Belgium and Iceland), and the Danes have held their own in this year's Nations League.

I would say the big, massive, positive is we now have an LOI manager in charge of the national team. This is something a significant section of the fans have wanted for decades (perhaps not a majority but certainly an incredibly vocal section of the fanbase). In Stephen Kenny they have their man in the driver's seat. Kenny was the most credible LOI based manager, I acknowledge he had a brief spell in Scotland etc, but he is first and foremost and LOI manager. If his appointment is a success then we will know that managers with (primarily) LOI experience are proven viable options for the national team.  If he is a failure then at least we can tell that section of the fanbase we tried, but we would probably want to consider casting a slightly wider net in the next search for a manager.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net