Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57611
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 6:33am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Halloween Horror Film Reviews
Posted By: MayoMark
Subject: Halloween Horror Film Reviews
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 2:32pm
Thought we could do with a seasonal thread!

Have watched a pile already this year. Horror is a funny one, you can get brilliant ones and utter dog sh*t as well.

Any recommendations welcome

Watched the Shining last night for the first time in years. Really good, very tense and no real need to be overly gorey.

On the agenda for tonight: The Crow (1994).  Another one I haven't seen in years and have mostly forgotten

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Replies:
Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 2:54pm
I plan on watching the EIRE's 2018 Nations League matches at Halloween

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 2:56pm
Not a horror as such but remember watching White Noise (2005). Dont know why but remember watching it in being freaked out by it.

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Thought we could do with a seasonal thread!

Have watched a pile already this year. Horror is a funny one, you can get brilliant ones and utter dog sh*t as well.

Any recommendations welcome

Watched the Shining last night for the first time in years. Really good, very tense and no real need to be overly gorey.

On the agenda for tonight: The Crow (1994).  Another one I haven't seen in years and have mostly forgotten

Always liked The Others with Nicole Kidman

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 3:14pm
'The Wicker Man' (the original, not the Nicolas Cage remake) is worth a watch for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Posted By: ChesterCopperpot
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 3:23pm
Watched The Decent the other night, very underrated

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

'The Wicker Man' (the original, not the Nicolas Cage remake) is worth a watch for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Clap

I'd say the cop in it was great craic on a night out.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

Really like the Descent, had forgotten about it actually. Must dig it out for a rewatch

-------------

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 3:55pm
Love zombie and slasher movies, all them paranormal/haunted house movies are all boring and pure sh*te imo.

Train to Busan is a brilliant Korean zombie movie, there is a sequel out this year too that I will watch this week.

Read something recently about a Japanese zombie movie that is meant to be brilliant called One Cut Of The Dead - have it downloaded to watch this week.

-------------

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 4:03pm

Always struck me as a murder mystery, before the ending.

It has a fantastic horror vibe, without ever once having the traditional aspect of a horror movie. It was much like when the Texas Chainsaw Massacre managed to have truly terrifying scenes take place in daylight.

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Love zombie and slasher movies, all them paranormal/haunted house movies are all boring and pure sh*te imo.

Train to Busan is a brilliant Korean zombie movie, there is a sequel out this year too that I will watch this week.

Read something recently about a Japanese zombie movie that is meant to be brilliant called One Cut Of The Dead - have it downloaded to watch this week.

Massive zombie film fam, but never really enjoyed slashers. 

Love paranormal horror films Clap

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 4:40pm

Really like the Descent, had forgotten about it actually. Must dig it out for a rewatch

Very underrated.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 6:55pm
Event horizon, sci fi horror Clap

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:09pm

Brilliant film Clap

Britt Ekland Heart

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:42pm
Hocus Pocus not mentioned Yet?

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 11:13pm

The Nicolas Cage version does have the two great scenes

i.e The BEES and of course the YOU BITCHES

other than that I agree terrible remake of a classic. 

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Extremely under rated. Sam Neill and Laurence Fishbourne at their best 

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 11:26pm
I thought The Babadook was very good. Let the Right One In is another.

Posted By: ErsatzThistle
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 11:45pm
One of the best spooky films (I'm not interested in gory horror) I've ever seen is "The Haunting" made in 1963. It's based on Shirley Jackson's brilliant short novel "The Haunting of Hill House" which I strongly recommend reading before watching.

I'd also recommend "Don't Look Now".

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 12:03am
Not much of a fan of Horror films but the Original Woman in Black is unreal its on YouTube. 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: Jackal
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 1:00am
I find the Shining is more of a comedy.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 1:48am
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Stephen King was not impressed with Stanley Kubrick's film adaption. 

He was complementary about the visual quality of the film but had three big complaints about Kubrick's interpretation. Firstly, the ending of the film is completely different to the ending of the novel. Secondly, Jack Torrance's chronic alcoholism is underplayed. Thirdly, King thought Jack Nicolson was totally wrong for the role of Torrance. 

Before I forget another horror film I love is "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me", a prequel to the TV series. FWWM is a horror that will also break your heart at the same time. You do need to have seen the TV series in full before watching it otherwise it will make no sense. The film is also much, much darker than the TV series. 

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 2:02am
The Omen (original) scared the bejayus out of me around the time I first watched it as around a 12 year old at a friends house during a sleep over. 
The crucifix turning upside down as a sign of evil present stuck with me after and I would freak myself out if I was at home in a room where there was a crucifix (being from a very Catholic household there were many around the house). 
Out of all horrors, that one definitely gave me a run for my money.

The Ring 1 also freaked me out and would be one that I definitely wouldn't watch at home one me own with the lights off. 

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 9:08am
Not a movie, but the TV show of The Exorcist was excellent. 

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 10:05am

Aren't all horrors? I think that's the point too. I just don't find them very funny or interesting, 'The Shinning' being an exception. (I don't want to get us sued!)

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 10:28am
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

One of the best spooky films (I'm not interested in gory horror) I've ever seen is "The Haunting" made in 1963. It's based on Shirley Jackson's brilliant short novel "The Haunting of Hill House" which I strongly recommend reading before watching.

I'd also recommend "Don't Look Now".

"Hell House" by Richard Matheson (who also wrote "I Am Legend") is in a similar vein to "The Haunting of Hill House" and is worth a read if you enjoyed Jackson's book.

"Event Horizon" is a great shout - very underrated film as Lass points out.

Two more recent horror films which are decent I've just remembered are "The Invitation" and "It Follows".

Also for what it's worth I preferred the ending of "The Shining" in the film to the book. The ending in the book is very Hollywood-esque.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Let the Right One In is another.

I hope you're talking about the original Swedish version as I thought the remake was poor. 

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 12:41pm

He was complementary about the visual quality of the film but had three big complaints about Kubrick's interpretation. Firstly, the ending of the film is completely different to the ending of the novel. Secondly, Jack Torrance's chronic alcoholism is underplayed. Thirdly, King thought Jack Nicolson was totally wrong for the role of Torrance. 

Before I forget another horror film I love is "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me", a prequel to the TV series. FWWM is a horror that will also break your heart at the same time. You do need to have seen the TV series in full before watching it otherwise it will make no sense. The film is also much, much darker than the TV series. 

What was the ending in the book of The Shining?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

What was the ending in the book of The Shining?

Lisa discovers Willie's television.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 12:58pm
I thought Roy Keane is discovered frozen outside the maze

-------------

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 11:03pm
what’s the one with David soul and the kid knocking on the window of the upstairs bedroom...Salem’s lot??? f**k me I couldn’t sleep for ages at night after seeing that as a kid.

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 9:10am
https://www.nme.com/news/film/new-study-ranks-scariest-horror-films-by-average-heart-rate-2791307%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.nme.com/news/film/new-study-ranks-scariest-horror-films-by-average-heart-rate-2791307

Couple of decent ones in here

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 9:38am
Ireland v Denmark Dublin 2017

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 10:21am

https://www.nme.com/news/film/new-study-ranks-scariest-horror-films-by-average-heart-rate-2791307%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.nme.com/news/film/new-study-ranks-scariest-horror-films-by-average-heart-rate-2791307

The first four films on that list are all on Netflix as well.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 2:51pm

The first four films on that list are all on Netflix as well.

Have seen a few of those, some I'd call more jump scare rather then being overall scary throughout. for example and spoilers

Insidious I didn't find really that scary bar the jump scare where the devil figure appears in the mirror for a split second, same with Paranormal activity another film which has perhaps one or two jump scares but overall isn't that scary.

Nice to see some old school thrillers on there like Alien and The Thing.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 3:26pm
To be honest, there is a whole host of these movies, like Sinister, The Nun, Insidious etc etc. I think they're horrible. As Lass says above, it bases its scares on loud music "jump scares". It's cheap. Not a fan

-------------

Posted By: jamo1
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 3:31pm
Alien and The Thing are the two best films on that list but in terms of the scariest The Ring is defiantly up there

-------------
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 4:09pm
Nothing scarier than a defiant ring.

-------------

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Extremely under rated. Sam Neill and Laurence Fishbourne at their best 

Fun fact : Sam Neil changed the Australia flag patch on his uniform on this  film.He took out the butchers apron and replaced it with the aboriginal flag instead.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Watched this yesterday, was actually not really a horror at all but it was f**kíng brilliant.

One of the most unique movies I've ever seen and the 3rd act is genius.

I highly recommend everyone to watch it but 2 things to note, don't read up anything about it beforehand and most importantly stick with it!

-------------

Posted By: hulkhogan
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 5:53pm
Watched a few recently

The conjuring 7.1
The conjuring 2 6.8
Halloween new one 6.2
Texas chainsaw massacre original 8.3
Jaws 9.4
LLC house 6.5
Blair witch project 6.9
Night of living dead 7.2
Midsommar 6.4

-------------
Whacha gonna do

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:43am
Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead : Really good Aussie zombie movie that jumps.straight into the action, has a different twist on the genre that makes it interesting and fun, well worth a watch if these movies are your cup of tea.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 7:38am
Have Wyrmwood on DVD actually. About time for a rewatch 

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 6:11pm
Happy Death Day - A Groundhog Day slasher movie, well made with a couple of nice twists.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 6:15pm
Saw that one in the cinema. Good fun in fairness  

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 7:18pm
The Hallow any use ?   - on the horror channel at the weekend 

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 7:28pm
Haven't seen it myself, but a good score in Rotten tomatoes, which is rare for horror! 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:23pm

Haven't seen it myself, but a good score in Rotten tomatoes, which is rare for horror! 

Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 10:00am
Happy Death Day 2 U - Decent sequel but not as good as the first, I like the way they changed things up a bit and it isn't a carbon copy of the first.

-------------

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 11:05am
Watched Beetlejuice the other day.
Superb stuff Clap

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 11:58am
Not a feature film but a TV film.

"Ghostwatch"

Fantastic spooky entertainment. Presented as if it were a real live broadcast from a supposedly haunted house.

It caused a bit of a panic among some people watching who didn't see the "this a work of fiction" disclaimer at the beginning. They thought they were watching actual paranormal activity unfolding ! Despite having a huge cult following, the BBC have never repeated it. You can stream it or buy it on DVD however.

Did anybody actually see this on the night it was aired ?

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 11:51am
Juan of the Dead - Cuban zombie comedy, pretty sh*te really but a few laughs all the same.

Halloween (2018) - Decent slasher sequel, plenty of gore and good to see the return of Jamie Lee.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 12:26pm
Rosemary's baby the night before last

And then yesterday, went with The Descent, Carrie and Extra Ordinary.

Carrie was the only first time watch. 

Extra ordinary is great fun 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 12:27pm

Not a feature film but a TV film.

"Ghostwatch"

Fantastic spooky entertainment. Presented as if it were a real live broadcast from a supposedly haunted house.

It caused a bit of a panic among some people watching who didn't see the "this a work of fiction" disclaimer at the beginning. They thought they were watching actual paranormal activity unfolding ! Despite having a huge cult following, the BBC have never repeated it. You can stream it or buy it on DVD however.

Did anybody actually see this on the night it was aired ?

Never heard of this but would love to see it! Where could I find it to stream? 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 12:34pm
Watched Alien Covenant last night first time since cinema.

I think it's a decent watch until the last 30 minutes where it just tries to hard. 

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 3:40pm

Here you go:

https://archive.org/details/Ghostwatch" rel="nofollow - https://archive.org/details/Ghostwatch

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 3:41pm
Lovely stuff fair play!

-------------

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 3:58pm

Here you go:

https://archive.org/details/Ghostwatch" rel="nofollow - https://archive.org/details/Ghostwatch

I was a young lad when this aired and it did sh1t me up a bit. Great tv at the time 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 11:24am

Here you go:

Got a great kick out of that, thanks

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net