Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57581
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 11:11pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Jonathan Afolabi
Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Subject: Jonathan Afolabi
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 5:22pm
One for the (hopefully near) future who merits his own thread at this point.  

20 year old striker from Dublin of Nigerian parents who has consistently impressed for us at underage.  Was named in the under 19 European Championships team of the tournament last Summer as Ireland progressed to the semi-finals in a team in which Joe Hodge also stood out (having scored 5 goals in 10 games in qualifying). 

Left Southampton for Celtic the week after that - just went on loan to Dundee, where he scored this little cracker on his debut:   https://www.the42.ie/irish-striker-afolabi-celebrates-brilliant-debut-goal-5218994-Sep2020/" rel="nofollow - https://www.the42.ie/irish-striker-afolabi-celebrates-brilliant-debut-goal-5218994-Sep2020/

A big mobile striker with pace who can hold it up well, and bring in players around him.  Kenny gave him his u21 debut last year, while still only 19.  

Has strong potential to become a senior international in a few years.   Will be interesting to see how he holds up in the U21 games, particularly against Italy.

Replies:
Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 11:42pm
Last minute equaliser for Dundee against Bonnyrigg Rose to send it to extra time. Dundee eventually won despite falling behind again.

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 11:53pm
I watched a good bit of this game. Afolabi did certain things well, was in a good position to score the goal and held the ball up well at times.

However he was also very laboured in possession at times, gave the ball away a lot and missed an open goal near the end.

Being honest, he looks like he has found his level for now at least with Dundee. Based on the times I've seen him playing for Dundee and Dunfermline in the last year I'd be surprised if he ever developed to senior international standard. I suppose you'd never know, but I can definitely see why Southampton let him go and Celtic didn't even bother to get him involved in pre-season with their senior squad this season.

Hopefully he can show more for our under 21s in the next qualifying campaign. But he will be under pressure for his place with the likes of Obafemi and Kayode being eligible as well. There's also Ryan Cassidy, although he doesn't seem to be kicking on either at Accrington. Parrott might even be involved with the Under 21s at times as he doesn't look ready for the senior squad yet.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 12:37am
He got a lot of racist abuse on social media I see 

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 1:13am
Horrible stuff. It seems to be one particular person targeting him on Instagram. Sadly, not hugely surprising given where he's playing his football at the moment.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 1:25am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I watched a good bit of this game. Afolabi did certain things well, was in a good position to score the goal and held the ball up well at times.

However he was also very laboured in possession at times, gave the ball away a lot and missed an open goal near the end.

Being honest, he looks like he has found his level for now at least with Dundee. Based on the times I've seen him playing for Dundee and Dunfermline in the last year I'd be surprised if he ever developed to senior international standard. I suppose you'd never know, but I can definitely see why Southampton let him go and Celtic didn't even bother to get him involved in pre-season with their senior squad this season.

Hopefully he can show more for our under 21s in the next qualifying campaign. But he will be under pressure for his place with the likes of Obafemi and Kayode being eligible as well. There's also Ryan Cassidy, although he doesn't seem to be kicking on either at Accrington. Parrott might even be involved with the Under 21s at times as he doesn't look ready for the senior squad yet.

You spent a part of your day watching Dundee vs Bonnyrigg Rose? How do you put yourself through that?

Posted By: mully_85
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 8:56am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

You spent a part of your day watching Dundee vs Bonnyrigg Rose? How do you put yourself through that?

possibly because he is an Ireland fan Confused i would watch any game our young players are involved in to see how they are progressing... Millwall v Boreham Wood was top of my agenda yesterday cos of Parrot and McNamara Big smile

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 10:32am
There were no Irish players in the Man United v Watford game so I turned over. My football viewing is almost entirely based around watching Irish players, particularly the younger ones, and Champions League games. I'd rather watch Shamrock Rovers II v Cabinteely than Leicester v Wolves.

I'd say it's the same for a lot of posters on here.

Posted By: Given's zimmerframe
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 10:51am

There were no Irish players in the Man United v Watford game so I turned over. My football viewing is almost entirely based around watching Irish players, particularly the younger ones, and Champions League games. I'd rather watch Shamrock Rovers II v Cabinteely than Leicester v Wolves.

I am the same, whatever game has the most Irish players will be the match that I watch for free on the dodgynet.

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 10:52am

Yes, sadly true! Unfortunately, it has meant dropping down the divisions more and more in the last 20 years.

Posted By: Dr. Pat
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 12:58pm

+1

-------------
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

possibly because he is an Ireland fan Confused i would watch any game our young players are involved in to see how they are progressing... Millwall v Boreham Wood was top of my agenda yesterday cos of Parrot and McNamara Big smile

I find that really sad.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 2:01pm
I’m the same to be fair. I find it hard to maintain an interest in games or clubs that don’t have any Irish players 

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 2:04pm
Same. I'll watch the game with the most Irish representation.

If Man City were playing Liverpool (neither teams i support)

And Sheffield United were playing Burnley at the same time.

I'd watch the Sheffield, Burnley game.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

You’re into masochism then? 

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 2:35pm
I think we're all into masochism a little bit if we're continuing to watch and follow Ireland after the last two or three years.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 2:44pm

Hey can get you a ST if you like Big smile

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: DR.HUGO
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 7:36pm
exactly the same as most posters I watch the championship and league 1&2 on Quest if I know the two teams have no Irish players I fast forward....I’m a Sunderland fan but it’s Ireland first and even today I saw Leeds played a young lad called Casey...some talk of Irish connection but not played at any international level and born in Leeds.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 8:25am

How I would feel about EPl or Champions League, but would travel a fair distance to watch a non-league game I have no connection too! Would be far more interested in Bonnyrigg Rose and would have watched this if I had known it was available.
In fact, with the way football, particularly international football, has gone, I would much rather watch Bonnyrigg than Ireland.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:25am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

He got a lot of racist abuse on social media I see 
f**king disgraceful, btw. Ban these idiots for life 

-------------

Posted By: MacMathuna
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 6:44pm
saw on sky sports news the case was closed as the racist poster is in turkey....??? 

-------------
Sinne Fianna Fáil atá fé gheall ag Éirinn.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 7:07pm
He must have a decent VPN.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 8:26pm
ah the famous Turkey branch of the Dundee fan club

-------------

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 4:48pm
Signed for Ayr United in the Scottish championship for the season. 

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 5:58pm
Good move, the manager there rated him highly and should help him develop. Ayr also recently signed Sean McGinty from Morton and Daire O'Connor from Cliftonville.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 8:09pm
The weakest of the loan clubs he has gone to so far. At least that hopefully means he'll get more game time than he had at Dundee. Needs to really tear it up this season if he is to have any future in the game in the UK.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 1:48pm

Celtic listening to Afolabi offers

Celtic are listening to offers for Ireland Under-21 striker Jonathan Afolabi.

The former Southampton forward is currently on loan at Scottish Championship side Ayr United. 

A number of Championship and League One teams in England are interested, with clubs abroad also pursuing a deal for the 21-year-old.

Sky Sports

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 2:19pm
Strange there is apparently so much higher level interest. Then again, look at Okoflex-another who didn't cut it at Celtic but now making the bench at West Ham and looking on the verge of a PL breakthrough.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 2:28pm
Possibly a case of an agent working overtime here. He has had poor loans at Dundee and Ayr in the last two seasons, so it's hard to believe there is much interest at a high level unless someone is looking to fill a gap in an Under 23 team.

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 3:35pm

I've watched him play a number of times and my personal opinion is that he's not going make a career out of football. 

I hope im proved very wrong and have egg on my face but I just see him struggling 

Looked very good at underage for us and Southampton but has looked well off the mark in Scotland but hes still very young and it could be the case of a wrong move and just not settling up there.

I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say he couldn't make a career out of football, theres been far worse who have done very well for themselves in the game, particularly at home.

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 8:56pm
Another step backwards for Afolabi, he has joined Airdrie down in Scottish League 1 on loan. Would be roughly the equivalent of the LoI first division.

I think his Celtic contract is up at the end of the season. Likely to head back to Ireland this summer I'd say.

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 9:07pm

Another step backwards for Afolabi, he has joined Airdrie down in Scottish League 1 on loan. Would be roughly the equivalent of the LoI first division.

I think his Celtic contract is up at the end of the season. Likely to head back to Ireland this summer I'd say.

Has another season left on his contract. Himself, Connell, and O'Connor all signed four year contracts when they joined in 2019.

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 9:13pm
Was looking at it there, he initially signed until June 2022, but actually signed a 1 year extension to that at the start of last season. So yes, he has another year on his contract. 

Not sure what kind of money he's on but I wonder if Celtic might just negotiate a payoff with him this summer, he doesn't have any future there.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 9:33pm
With Barry Coffee and Aaron Bolger both with Cork City, I wonder will Colin Healy use his Celtic / Ireland underage connections persuade him to come down here.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: Howdo
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 5:01am
Is Lawal still injured?

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Is Lawal still injured?

Yeah he's still out since November. Thankfully Abankwah is there to slot into CB for the U19s and long term he'll probably be the better CB.

Posted By: Howdo
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 11:46am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Is Lawal still injured?

Yeah he's still out since November. Thankfully Abankwah is there to slot into CB for the U19s and long term he'll probably be the better CB.

Cheers

Posted By: pateen
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

With Barry Coffee and Aaron Bolger both with Cork City, I wonder will Colin Healy use his Celtic / Ireland underage connections persuade him to come down here.

Is Bolger a Celtic loanee with City as well?

-------------
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Is Bolger a Celtic loanee with City as well?

No was with Cardiff and think his contract finished last summer and signed with Cork full time.

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 3:14pm
Scored his first goal for Airdrieonians yesterday

Date Posted: 07 May 2022 at 5:17pm
Airdrie trailing their Scottish Championship playoff 1-3 when Afolabi came off the bench. They now lead 5-3 in extra time. He assisted the goal that sent it to extra time and he's just scored the goal that puts them in the driving seat.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Date Posted: 12 May 2022 at 9:15pm
Wins a late penalty, which Airdrie score, to level against Queens Park on 87 minutes in the Championship playoff final. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 1:39pm
Afolabi currently on trial at Portsmouth, looks to have a decent chance of a contract there.

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Afolabi currently on trial at Portsmouth, looks to have a decent chance of a contract there.

I'd like to see this lad get a run of games.
Has shown glimpses of quality and L1 would be a decent challenge.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 2:10pm
Scottish Third Division to one of the biggest teams in League One would be some move for the lad if it comes off.

-------------

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 9:21pm
Bid for Afolabi from Belgian side KV Kortrijk.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/belgian-top-flight-outfit-submit-200k-bid-for-bohs-man-jonathan-afolabi/a2074723462.html" rel="nofollow - http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/belgian-top-flight-outfit-submit-200k-bid-for-bohs-man-jonathan-afolabi/a2074723462.html

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 9:35pm
Tempting. Good league. They are bottom of the table but still. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: SeanC
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 9:48pm
yep he’s way to good for LoI, worth a gamble for 200k

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

yep he’s way to good for LoI, worth a gamble for 200k

I wouldn't go that far. Nice step up depending on how much Bohs want to make from him.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Fanny MaGee
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2023 at 1:08pm
Signed for Kortrijk in Belgium. 

-------------
Ask MaGee

Posted By: SeaSharp
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2023 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Fanny MaGee Fanny MaGee wrote:

Bottom of the league with 12 goals scored in 20 games. Chance for Afolabi to make a real impact but could be a tough few months

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2023 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by Fanny MaGee Fanny MaGee wrote:

Bottom of the league with 12 goals scored in 20 games. Chance for Afolabi to make a real impact but could be a tough few months
As a Union St Gilloise season ticket holder I'd have loved to see him go there. I think he'll score goals but Kortrijk are doomed I reckon. Hopefully he has a get out clause if they're relegated. 

-------------
Ask MaGee

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 7:10pm
First start tonight vs Club Brugge having made 2 cameo appearances off the bench in their 2 prior games.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 8:42pm
Just scored a beaut to equalise.

-------------
Ask MaGee

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 4:35am
Good start for him. Off the mark quicker than he did at Bohs.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net