Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57436
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 3:52am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Impact of Covid-19 on International Careers
Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Subject: Impact of Covid-19 on International Careers
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 10:31pm
Given the long road back from this and lack of certainty, it will be interesting to see (in so far as it is ever possible) the potential winners and losers from the impact of football being suspended. While it might be more difficult to see or speculate on whose career has benefitted, it is easier to see those negatively impacted. All players careers' are impacted but some more than others.

The obvious one is Glenn Whelan. He was on borrowed time already and is unlikely to feature again (although I am sure he won't retire). 
Another possible one is Will Smallbone. He had just started to get a run of games with Southampton. Might be difficult for him to pick up where he left off. 

Replies:
Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 7:15am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Given the long road back from this and lack of certainty, it will be interesting to see (in so far as it is ever possible) the potential winners and losers from the impact of football being suspended. While it might be more difficult to see or speculate on whose career has benefitted, it is easier to see those negatively impacted. All players careers' are impacted but some more than others.

The obvious one is Glenn Whelan. He was on borrowed time already and is unlikely to feature again (although I am sure he won't retire). 
Another possible one is Will Smallbone. He had just started to get a run of games with Southampton. Might be difficult for him to pick up where he left off. 

A meteor could knock out most of the worlds population and we'd still have Glenn Whelan in midfield surrounded by 10 cockroaches

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 7:39am
I’d worry for those players out of contract end of June.

A lot of clubs will be cash strapped next season. 
Is Long out of contract this season? At 33 he will more than likely have to drop down to the championship.

-------------

Posted By: Yiksheemash
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

A meteor could knock out most of the worlds population and we'd still have Glenn Whelan in midfield surrounded by 10 cockroaches

LOL

-------------
In my country we fak, my wife she isa dead

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:19am
I'm worried too about a millionaire's next move 

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: Bham_McDermott
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:59am
Clark was playing really well this season under Bruce, although injured at the moment he will be moved on before Euro 21/ WC 22 if they get these new owners, maybe Championship so could still be in about the squad, I would have him in there anyway 

-------------
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 12:16pm
Richard Keogh won't lose as much ground as first thought!

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 12:50pm
Long is keen to stay at Southampton and the manager wants him to sign a new contract so that looks a cert unless the club is relegated, which is unlikely. Smallbone will be a first teamer I believe. Clark has been one of Newcastle's best players this season when fit, as acknowledged by Bruce, but if the new regime chooses to dispense with his services he is likely to join James McCarthy at Crystal Palace, who tried hard to sign him when he was temporarily out of the first team. If McCarthy does not want to play for Ireland again then it is likely that Whelan will stay in the squad due to the role he plays( though maybe just the squad rather than the team ). Richard Keogh is finished for Ireland obviously-his best chance of getting a new club when he recovers may well be down to Mick McCarthy, who has always liked him as a player and will likely be in charge of a club side by then.

Posted By: SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN
Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 2:31pm
Scott Hogan had 7 in 8 games before football stopped hopefully he can keep up that form as he's a good finisher when his confidence is high. Brady and Hendrick were linked with Newcastle on frees i believe a few weeks ago but would have to imagine they'll look elsewhere if the takeover happens.
With Kenny coming in some of the senior players in the squad may need to start looking for a move, Duffy, Randolph, Coleman etc. Aren't guaranteed club starters anymore which can't be good for us

Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 11:30pm
Yeah Scotty Hogan was flying - for the first time in years. 

There is a lot of hype about Conor Noss (or Noß) coming off the bench both this weekend and last weekend in the Bundesliga. The problem is that he needs to be on it to be able to come off it. 

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 11:51pm
The senior players like randolph, mcclean and Long are losing ground on the younger players and each may drop down a league next year. Whelan is playing for Fleetwood and that's too low a standard even for the current position ireland are in.

The big loss that I can see is that its halting the progress made by our emerging players like Connolly, molumby, knight, masterson this season.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 11:57pm
Surely that would even out across the board as all the careers and development of all up and coming players would be halted 
Unless they’re Belarusian 

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 11:57pm

Yeah Scotty Hogan was flying - for the first time in years. 

There is a lot of hype about Conor Noss (or Noß) coming off the bench both this weekend and last weekend in the Bundesliga. The problem is that he needs to be on it to be able to come off it. 

Yep, been following that and it's a bit silly.
Lad has never played in a senior game (bar pre-season, I believe) but with a flurry of games, I'd say he will make the bench in some..whether he sees the pitch is a different matter but fair play to him.

Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Surely that would even out across the board as all the careers and development of all up and coming players would be halted 
Unless they’re Belarusian 

To a degree that makes sense. However this is the first time we have had a group of young players making a breakthrough at the same time in quite a while. I wouldn't be worried about the likes of Molumby or Knight who have a sizeable amount of games under their belts. The likes of Masterson and others who have only made a few appearances might find it tougher. It will also depend on how players react mentally to the situation. This will as you point out be applicable to all players but probably more crucial for younger players.

Posted By: Yiksheemash
Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 10:17am
the break may actually work in players favour. the older players have a lot of mileage on the clock and the break will do them no harm. we maybe only be talking 4 to 6 months so it isn't that significant. 

With young lads, we have a good few players with a lot of games under their belt but also many may develop been away from the club and the pressure associated with becoming a professional footballer. swings and roundabouts. 

-------------
In my country we fak, my wife she isa dead

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 12:13pm
If the premier league do the same as the Bundesliga and change to five subs per game then it will probably mean some of our younger players will get more game time which can only be good. Having watched the Bundesliga the last few weeks there was also a number of younger players making their debuts in the starting 11 so can see the likes of Smallbone, Parrott, Connolly, Idah, Obafemi all benefiting from more game time.

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 2:51pm
[QUOTE=50%lesssugar&salt 

/QUOTE]

Sounds like his legs have gone

Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

[QUOTE=50%lesssugar&salt 

/QUOTE]

Sounds like his legs have gone

It doesn't really LOL

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 25 May 2020 at 12:23pm
Jack Byrne, has only played 5 competitive games since he started midfield vs New Zealand and I'd imagine the LoI will be much worse affected than the PL or Championship.

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 3:02pm
As a result of Covid the 5 premier league subs has been approved, good opportunity for some of the younger lads coming through perhaps.

I'm thinking obafemi, kilkenny, connolly etc

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

As a result of Covid the 5 premier league subs has been approved, good opportunity for some of the younger lads coming through perhaps.

That's a bizarre rule! What's the logic, other than they want to introduce it? 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 3:32pm
Funny enough, this type of thing actually weakens any claim to credibility.

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It's temporary until the end of this season - Same in other leagues. It's basically to counteract the increased injury risk and the increased soft tissue injuries that have been seen in other leagues that have restarted already.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

It's temporary until the end of this season - Same in other leagues. It's basically to counteract the increased injury risk and the increased soft tissue injuries that have been seen in other leagues that have restarted already.
Why is there an increase of soft tissue injuries because of Covid?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:19pm
We have played a huge chunk of the season with the three substitute rule, which has been in place since the 1990s. Some sides have to fill their existing benches with youth players and fringe players to make up the regulation number, while others will have substitutes that would walk into most other teams in the Premier League. All of a sudden, those players, who otherwise wouldn't have been introduced will be, and that can alter games and outcomes in a way that wasn't possible between August-March. Its a fundamental shift.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:23pm
It feels like yet another rule designed to help the super rich franchises. It is also fundamentally unfair to change the rules midseason. 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:28pm

Why is there an increase of soft tissue injuries because of Covid?
It not because of Covid but down to the players not being fully conditioned in the way they would be after a normal pre-season 

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:29pm
Blatently it is to counteract the dual effects of:
1. A condensed game schedule
2. Decreased fitness following a prolonged break from training.

It's entirely unsurprising really, I'm not sure why it would cause a shock.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:31pm

It feels like yet another rule designed to help the super rich franchises. It is also fundamentally unfair to change the rules midseason. 

All leagues are adopting it. And for the PL to adopt if, 14 teams would have had to have voted for it which they obviously have. It's ultimately for player protection so for those clubs who maybe rely heavily on one or two players, this may actually suit them better.

It's only a temporary measure anyways. 

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:37pm

Honestly, I would say that's the point.

Its a fundamental change to a key rule, which will allow bigger clubs empty their bench, while smaller clubs, may, in a material sense, only have two or three options from the bench, while the rest are PL2 players. It alters the course of a game, in a different level to what was applied throughout the season.

Also, why 5? Why not 4? Or 7. How is it judged that this will give appropriate respite? 

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:39pm
That makes more sense, the initial post suggested it was due to Covid. I will remain sceptical though.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Its a fundamental change to a key rule, which will allow bigger clubs empty their bench, while smaller clubs, may, in a material sense, only have two or three options from the bench, while the rest are PL2 players. It alters the course of a game, in a different level to what was applied throughout the season.

Also, why 5? Why not 4? Or 7. How is it judged that this will give appropriate respite? 

If the "smaller clubs" (I'm surprised you can say that with a straight face considering EPL relegation fodder can often outbid former powerhouses on the continent...) are that hard up for players, it's likely their first 11 would be losing anyway regardless of how many subs are allowed.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

If the "smaller clubs" (I'm surprised you can say that with a straight face considering EPL relegation fodder can often outbid former powerhouses on the continent...) are that hard up for players, it's likely their first 11 would be losing anyway regardless of how many subs are allowed.

Its relative, so it can be said with a straight face. The gap in resources between some promoted teams, or annual PL "also-rans", and the likes of Manchester City is eyewatering. I appreciate that there are numerous teams in Europe that have fallen behind, and are now being outbid, but that is a product of modern football, and the rush towards the "Champions League".

However, if the likes of City can rest a group of players, for a game, and not be bound by previous rules, that can have a material difference. Equally if clubs can bring on a player (who is number 4/5) who proceeds to score, or set up a goal, that would be something which would not have happened prior to the shutdown, so its occurring on different terms.

There is agreement on this, however, I still feel that it is problematic, as it has the potential to impact games, in a way that traditionally it wouldn't.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:52pm

And if it was such an issue, why are most of these smaller clubs voting for this temporary rule change? 

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:54pm

And if it was such an issue, why are most of these smaller clubs voting for this temporary rule change? 

Clubs can vote how they want. I still have an opinion on this, especially as I am still reticent to accept that the league should be back this quickly.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:58pm

I would be curious about this too, but I guess we are unlikely to know.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 5:07pm

Clubs can vote how they want. I still have an opinion on this, especially as I am still reticent to accept that the league should be back this quickly.
So, if I understand correctly, you think this is a problem for small teams and they disagree - Is that the crux of it here? 

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 5:08pm

No breakdown of how many clubs voted against this in the PL statement unfortunately.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 5:10pm

So, if I understand correctly, you think this is a problem for small teams and they disagree - Is that the crux of it here? 

Like I said, I can disagree with them. I don't necessarily feel that I should take a great deal of notice of how football administers itself, in the current climate.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 5:12pm

No breakdown of how many clubs voted against this in the PL statement unfortunately.

That would interest me less than why they voted for it. Perhaps it is altruistic.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 7:55pm

Surely the "problem" you're referencing runs far deeper than whether teams can use 3 or 5 subs? You're speaking about the extreme financial differences between sides, which manifests itself in far more important and impactful ways than how many subs you can use...

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 12:23am
I wouldn't have thought that many clubs use their 3 subs every game as it is.

Remember when Mick McCarthy made 12 substitutions in a friendly?

Posted By: BohsinMunich
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 7:41am
From a quick glance at the recent Bundesliga games pretty much all teams used 5 subs

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 8:33am
Has Conor Noss featured yet ?

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Has Conor Noss featured yet ?

No. Hasn't even made the bench since the restart. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net