Forum Description: All League Of Ireland Teams Forum
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57369
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 3:54pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Coronavirus impact on Airtricity League
Posted By: Shedite
Subject: Coronavirus impact on Airtricity League
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 7:51am
I assume clubs are still contracted to pay their players through all this. Without any gate receipts, how many clubs are likely to go bust because of this? Are the FAI/Government in any position to bail them out? Any guesses as to what the wage bill for the entire league would be for a year?

Replies:
Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I assume clubs are still contracted to pay their players through all this. Without any gate receipts, how many clubs are likely to go bust because of this? Are the FAI/Government in any position to bail them out? Any guesses as to what the wage bill for the entire league would be for a year?

Bohemia’s have 90% of gate receipts guaranteed which will help. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Darraghn92
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 10:27am
Drogheda announced yesterday that they are suspending payments to players/coaching staff

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 3:22pm
prize money is being paid earlier and affiliation fees are expected to be waived.

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

prize money is being paid earlier and affiliation fees are expected to be waived.

A great move by the fai 

Posted By: ProudAndLoud
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 6:04pm
Well done to Drogheda and I have somone involved in club. They have been up front and honest with no bull. That is what is needed now.

Posted By: Daragho
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 3:54pm
There was a good suggestion on the Saints forum - as this is likely to go on for a while, set up a gofundme page (other sites are available) and when each home match day comes around ask people to pay the admission.

Obviously some people won't be in a position to do this because of their work situation, but if even a % of the regular attendees paid even a few quid then it might help with cash flow to get clubs through this.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 4:40pm
The problem with that is that no one wants to be a mug - it's great to suggest it but far too many people will suggest it and then just not bother doing it. They look good but don't actually have to spend the money because no one need see it being spent.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

The problem with that is that no one wants to be a mug - it's great to suggest it but far too many people will suggest it and then just not bother doing it.

I guess that's the way with everything.

I realise Airtricity league clubs aren't the top priority now, but in the medium to long term many of them will find themselves in serious trouble.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 6:18pm
Played our club lotto for the first time ever, will try buy a jersey once I'm paid, is some small ways to get money into the club 

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Played our club lotto for the first time ever, will try buy a jersey once I'm paid, is some small ways to get money into the club 

ClapCoolClap

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 12:33am
That's a far better way of supporting the club because it is obvious and you get something for it.

There's no harm in clubs advertising on social media that people should buy jerseys, with some way of donating an extra ten or fifteen or even twenty quid while they're at it to support the club and the jobs of those working for the clubs.

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 9:48am
We don't have an online shop yet with Ramblers, our lotto isn't set up online because the people who run it are too old school, literally all we can do at the minute is sell a virtual ticket for our game thats meant to be Saturday vs Galway. The next few weeks are going to be tough but I think we should be in a position to scrape through.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 11:39am

That's a far better way of supporting the club because it is obvious and you get something for it.

There's no harm in clubs advertising on social media that people should buy jerseys, with some way of donating an extra ten or fifteen or even twenty quid while they're at it to support the club and the jobs of those working for the clubs.
Supporting your club in any way is good SD. I want my club to survive this, this is much more important than getting anything in return

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 1:02pm

Sligo pulled the trigger. Very sad to see. 

https://www.sligorovers.com/club-statement-update-from-management-committee/" rel="nofollow - https://www.sligorovers.com/club-statement-update-from-management-committee/

Club statement: Update from management committee
March 19, 2020
Sligo Rovers have today reached the extremely difficult decision to implement temporary layoffs for all management, players and administration staff due to the shutdown of the League of Ireland for the past two weeks and foreseeable future.

Following intensive talks in the last week involving the National League Executive Committee, the PFAI and the FAI, along with receiving government guidance, the club felt there was no option but to come to this conclusion in order to prioritise long-term employment both in football and administrative roles at Sligo Rovers. 

We acknowledge ongoing efforts to find a solution from all parties and we recognise that it is an evolving situation. However we must act today in the best interest of our club in the long-term. 

Last Tuesday An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar outlined that the Coronavirus crisis would extend into a lengthy period. 

This was an expected announcement and made it even clearer to us that League of Ireland football cannot resume until the summer at the earliest, and likely later. 

Our income streams, like nearly all other businesses in the country, have been decimated and we simply cannot afford to function at our full cost level while having little or no income. 

To do anything else would be reckless and would put the very future of Sligo Rovers under severe threat.

We have taken the following measures:

1) Club employees will be paid in accordance with government support for businesses forced to lay off employees temporarily. All staff have been informed of this. 

2) All players and employees will be able to return to their regular wage upon the resumption of the League of Ireland. A date will be agreed in due course.

3) All staff have been put on this measure, no exceptions have been made, from the manager to players to administrative staff to ground maintenance personnel.

4) Players from outside of Ireland have been given assistance to return home and most have done so.

5) We will do our utmost to support our employees where possible over the coming months. 

As a club we have operated as the most consistent completely full-time employer in the League of Ireland since our return to the Premier Division 15 years ago.

Taking this step today has been the hardest decision we have undertaken in our role of committee members, but we feel it is the correct one, we need to be decisive and show leadership to preserve our club. 

We add that not one member of our board is paid in any way or receive any expense, many other volunteers give endless commitment to Sligo Rovers too. 

Our priority has always been our club, and our staff, as an organisation immersed in and funded by the local community.

The road forward from this crisis is not a clear one, we know this temporary measure will have a major impact in the lives of our staff. We are taking it to ensure there is a future. 

We also recognise the widespread business closures in the area which is very visible in any drive through Sligo town and county. The effects this will have on our community will be significant.

We know it will also bring great concern to our fans and sponsors. Our community and supporter base provides extraordinary support that defies logic and helps sustain our club. 

Our promise as a committee is to get through this period and return with a sustainable and healthy Sligo Rovers. 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Supporting your club in any way is good SD. I want my club to survive this, this is much more important than getting anything in return

Clap 

Perhaps might clubs sell 2021 Season Tickets now.....

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Clap 

Perhaps might clubs sell 2021 Season Tickets now.....

I agree entirely that supporting the club in any way is good; the point is you are more likely to get people to actually do something and pay something if they get something in return. It's very easy to post a link on twitter or facebook saying "give your club a few quid" without actually doing it. It's about figuring out what's effective.

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Sligo pulled the trigger. Very sad to see. 

https://www.sligorovers.com/club-statement-update-from-management-committee/" rel="nofollow - https://www.sligorovers.com/club-statement-update-from-management-committee/

Club statement: Update from management committee
March 19, 2020
Sligo Rovers have today reached the extremely difficult decision to implement temporary layoffs for all management, players and administration staff due to the shutdown of the League of Ireland for the past two weeks and foreseeable future.

Following intensive talks in the last week involving the National League Executive Committee, the PFAI and the FAI, along with receiving government guidance, the club felt there was no option but to come to this conclusion in order to prioritise long-term employment both in football and administrative roles at Sligo Rovers. 

We acknowledge ongoing efforts to find a solution from all parties and we recognise that it is an evolving situation. However we must act today in the best interest of our club in the long-term. 

Last Tuesday An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar outlined that the Coronavirus crisis would extend into a lengthy period. 

This was an expected announcement and made it even clearer to us that League of Ireland football cannot resume until the summer at the earliest, and likely later. 

Our income streams, like nearly all other businesses in the country, have been decimated and we simply cannot afford to function at our full cost level while having little or no income. 

To do anything else would be reckless and would put the very future of Sligo Rovers under severe threat.

We have taken the following measures:

1) Club employees will be paid in accordance with government support for businesses forced to lay off employees temporarily. All staff have been informed of this. 

2) All players and employees will be able to return to their regular wage upon the resumption of the League of Ireland. A date will be agreed in due course.

3) All staff have been put on this measure, no exceptions have been made, from the manager to players to administrative staff to ground maintenance personnel.

4) Players from outside of Ireland have been given assistance to return home and most have done so.

5) We will do our utmost to support our employees where possible over the coming months. 

As a club we have operated as the most consistent completely full-time employer in the League of Ireland since our return to the Premier Division 15 years ago.

Taking this step today has been the hardest decision we have undertaken in our role of committee members, but we feel it is the correct one, we need to be decisive and show leadership to preserve our club. 

We add that not one member of our board is paid in any way or receive any expense, many other volunteers give endless commitment to Sligo Rovers too. 

Our priority has always been our club, and our staff, as an organisation immersed in and funded by the local community.

The road forward from this crisis is not a clear one, we know this temporary measure will have a major impact in the lives of our staff. We are taking it to ensure there is a future. 

We also recognise the widespread business closures in the area which is very visible in any drive through Sligo town and county. The effects this will have on our community will be significant.

We know it will also bring great concern to our fans and sponsors. Our community and supporter base provides extraordinary support that defies logic and helps sustain our club. 

Our promise as a committee is to get through this period and return with a sustainable and healthy Sligo Rovers. 

Awful news, and sadly inevitable for a lot of clubs.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 3:44pm
it’s all clubs that will be affected including Rovers and Dundalk as not alone have they no gate revenue I’m sure some of their sponsors will be affected by the downturn. This has destroyed some businesses in less than a month god knows what will happen if it goes beyond three months.

I’m uploading the cessation details of over half our staff to revenue as I type this.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: adineen98
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 2:51pm
https://mobile.twitter.com/SSEAirtricityLg/status/1241012452046909440" rel="nofollow - https://mobile.twitter.com/SSEAirtricityLg/status/1241012452046909440

-------------
Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:06am
I see Drogheda are offering free entry for home and away fans when the season resumes. Good gesture but you feel fans will be hesitant to take up the offer if the league resumes before people are reassured the pandemic is over (which going by their estimate of June, is far too early).

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 11:53am
won’t resume in June July august or any other time this year. Why? Because gobsh*tes are spreading this .it appears the thick paddy jokes do indeed have a real basis.

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 11:54am
that resume date will be pushed back

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

won’t resume in June July august or any other time this year. Why? Because gobsh*tes are spreading this .it appears the thick paddy jokes do indeed have a real basis.
England want to start back in April.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

England want to start back in April.
I can’t see it. I think they feel they have to have a contingency plan for a best case scenario and look prepared. 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 10:41am
Bought a jersey there, umbro/Bray doing free shipping over €50, was previously a tenner which put me off buying it, I'd say they're doing the same for all of their clubs in the loi 

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 6:56am

Bought a jersey there, umbro/Bray doing free shipping over €50, was previously a tenner which put me off buying it, I'd say they're doing the same for all of their clubs in the loi 
Exactly, they'll all be desparate for the money.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 3:54pm
St. Pats have set up a Patreon scheme, with exclusive podcasts, videos, stuff etc. for €10 a month.
https://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=8680" rel="nofollow - https://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=8680

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 5:54pm
very good idea that daragh, lad at bohs selling virtual tickets for bohs games plus pints burgers etc, heading for two grand so far and sales of the just released blue shirt very good. Do like that pats idea though could be a constant earner.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:28pm
@McDonnellDan
Gather a full analysis of facilities at every LOI ground and training ground will be undertaken before the idea of letting players/people into it will be entertained. A pandemic may succeed where licensing fails.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 9:04pm
for as long as social distancing is in place then there can’t be football, can’t put the players at risk for our entertainment

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 2:01pm
So 200 fans in grounds that can hold 5k.

So tallaght, Cork,

Maybe Dundalk (if standing is included) , Galway

Anyone else?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 2:27pm
@gavreilly
·
12m
On sports crowds: the documents all refer to the permitted crowds as 100/200/500 "patrons" - this does not include players, team managers, match officials and the likes

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

@gavreilly
·
12m
On sports crowds: the documents all refer to the permitted crowds as 100/200/500 "patrons" - this does not include players, team managers, match officials and the likes

Interesting, that makes a good difference 

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 3:26pm

@gavreilly
·
12m

Interesting, that makes a good difference 

Wonder will they move the Cup final to Lansdowne. Given they'd only be allowed 200/500 in Tallaght. 

-------------

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 3:43pm
So you can have 200 in Tallaght and 200 in the Showgrounds. But the R rating in Dublin is 33 times more than that of Sligo. What happened to county by county. Confused

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

So you can have 200 in Tallaght and 200 in the Showgrounds. But the R rating in Dublin is 33 times more than that of Sligo. What happened to county by county. Confused

100 in Dublin

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 4:19pm
Thanks Denis. But I think you get my point. 

Posted By: Southstandman
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 4:27pm
Baby steps or we stay in the fkucin pram lads . 

-------------
We are Shamrock Rovers we"re Irelands number 1 .

Posted By: Nah Nah Nah Nah
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 7:44am
Our capacity isn’t 5k these days so it would probably only be 100

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 8:57am
So Derry have announced their game is of Wednesday despite the new rules being put in place that games will go ahead or you forfeit. This will be fun

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:46am
https://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/news/derry-city-confirm-they-are-unable-to-fulfil-shamrock-rovers-fixture/id-3548

So Derry game is referred to FAI Disiplinary Council but the Cup game 4 days later in Showgrounds in postponed. Confused

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 4:18pm
So am I correct in saying that the Rovers v Finn Harps/Cork v Cabo are test events and depending on how those fixtures go they'll decide on when to allow fans in to other games?

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

So am I correct in saying that the Rovers v Finn Harps/Cork v Cabo are test events and depending on how those fixtures go they'll decide on when to allow fans in to other games?

More or less

July 5th limited crowds are back barring anything cropping up as a result of those games ( Unlikely)

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 5:18pm

Rovers v Drogs on June 26 also a test event...

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 8:27pm

Anybody hear if away supporters will get an allocation?

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

To be discussed next week 

-------------

Posted By: wanderer
Date Posted: 28 May 2021 at 9:20pm

Outside of the test events anyone with 5k capacity or more can have 200 at games from 7th June, 100 if capacity below 5k

From July that increase to 500 if 5k plus or 200 if under 

Test events will have more 

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 29 May 2021 at 2:01am

Would be nice and a better representation of the trials if they did! 
Not biased in anyway 

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 9:19pm

To be discussed next week 

Any update on this? Cry

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net