Print Page | Close Window

How will the world be different post Covid 19?

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: Other Forums
Forum Name: Whatever!
Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57365
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 8:41pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How will the world be different post Covid 19?
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: How will the world be different post Covid 19?
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 8:51pm
There are bound to be harsh lessons to be learned from the outbreak of this.   I presume the moment the next infectious disease even hints at spreading all international should be frozen until its contained. The outlook the world had was 'its China's problem'. I think its every country's problem the moment a disease starts.

I can see this ending the use of cash.  Cash is probably a source of spreading germs.  Cashless society from now on I think.

Stockpiling ventillators?
Anything else?

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

There are bound to be harsh lessons to be learned from the outbreak of this.   I presume the moment the next infectious disease even hints at spreading all international should be frozen until its contained. The outlook the world had was 'its China's problem'. I think its every country's problem the moment a disease starts.

I can see this ending the use of cash.  Cash is probably a source of spreading germs.  Cashless society from now on I think.

Anything else?

That's kinda why Contactless was invented no?

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 9:54pm
There will be a sharp increase in the amount of germaphobs globally 

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Anything else?

That's kinda why Contactless was invented no?
Very popular in Denmark - fat lot of good its done them though... 

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 10:09pm
I wonder will it stop the Chinese eatign bats on a stick.

-------------

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 10:26pm

Not exactly how it works from what I read. These wet markets have animals for every corner or a globe. A bat carries a virus that cant be directly transmitted to humans, a rare bread of animal from a place that would never normally come into contact with said bat contracts the virus and can transmit it to humans. Thats how these viruses come about and why these wet markets are breading grounds for disease

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Not exactly how it works from what I read. These wet markets have animals for every corner or a globe. A bat carries a virus that cant be directly transmitted to humans, a rare bread of animal from a place that would never normally come into contact with said bat contracts the virus and can transmit it to humans. Thats how these viruses come about and why these wet markets are breading grounds for disease

Yep.  These stupid practices have to stop.  stupid human behaviour caused CJD to jump from sheep to cattle and onto humans

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

That’s my understanding of it too. I’m not half curious as to what bat tastes like know though. I found a lovely recipe for fruit bat curry from the Seychelles. It might be a job getting the ingredients though.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 12:56am
Would like to think that our criminally under resourced health service gets a permanent boost to be better equipped to deal with the next yoke that pops along, but that's probably wishful thinking. Scarily enough, that probably depends on the eventual mortality rate rather than any particular current political policy. 

On a societal level, I'd like to think the concept of being personally responsible for yer own decisions gets reintroduced on a broad scale. Again, this is wishful thinking. Over the last decade, it's clear to me that nearly everything is set up to pander to idiots and their needs these days.  This has been cynically exploited by politicians, particularly in the UK and USA of late. 

Dare criticise them for being idiots and it's ''don't demonise them, sure they're being fed misinformation, it's not their fault'' Even on here, there were lads up to a day or 2 talking about going to Bratislava (which closed it's road and rail borders as well as airports since Monday, not that they were bothered to research such minor details) without a single care in the world other than their few quid spent on flights. 

We're being overloaded with information on isolation and social distancing at the moment, yet people think tis grand to head off to the pub on the lash. Presumably, anything that happens as a consequence of that won't be their fault either. Maybe this might change those attitudes, though I'm not exactly hopeful or anything. 

Lastly, and I'm more than aware I'm in ''genie in a lamp'' territory here, but maybe there might be some recognition that corporates and 'markets' are meant to be serving society, and making a profit if they are good at it, rather than society's sole purpose being to serve corporates and 'markets' and their profits. That's really outlandish stuff though, I'd settle for the first one. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: PaddyDaCulchie
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 1:05am
Nothing will change except multinational pharmaceutical companies profiting on fear. They need a few new viruses every now and again to attract new customers 

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 3:39am
Maybe governments will keep a stockpile of masks, survival gloves and the ingredients needed for hand sanitizers in future. Also a plan in place to set up temporary quarantine facilities to roll out for airports and ferry ports when this happens again.

And maybe next time this sh*t happens in China or wherever all European countries will immediately ban all flights from the affected country. Crazy to think Italy had all these Chinese tourists and businessman flying into Milan after the outbreak. 

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 7:36am
Due to the significant financial disaster this is going to cause (not the # of people who died), governments will learn from this and will be more prepared the next time something like this happens.

Countries like Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea etc were on top of this very early. They suffered badly with SARS and Swine flu so were better prepared this time around.

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 9:49am
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

Nothing will change except multinational pharmaceutical companies profiting on fear. They need a few new viruses every now and again to attract new customers 
Alright Jim. How’s the sisters?

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 10:45am
Will there be less general crime in Ireland over the next fortnight?
More people at home, less out drinking etc.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 10:53am
Social norms like shaking hands will decline.
People wearing gloves more and more. 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 11:07am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

I'd imagine domestic violence will increase.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 11:34am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

I'd imagine domestic violence will increase.
Is that possible in Dublin?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 12:25pm
the number of job losses will be astronomical I don’t think people are grasping this and if it lasts more then eight weeks the world economies will collapse.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 12:39pm
I think a lot of people will realise how much working from home is possible, and it will be a lot more popular after this. Companies will see the benefits too in not having to have so many desks.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I think a lot of people will realise how much working from home is possible, and it will be a lot more popular after this. Companies will see the benefits too in not having to have so many desks.

Companies that value working on site are behind the curve. Work From Home can has major benefits and when it becomes the norm will vastly increase productivity. All the people I know who “work from home” for major businesses jealously guard their time and obsessively meet deliverables and deadlines, otherwise they will be caught out as work shy and make zero progress in their careers. Being present in the office doesn’t guarantee getting the best from workers when work from home is a possibility.

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Companies that value working on site are behind the curve. Work From Home can has major benefits and when it becomes the norm will vastly increase productivity. All the people I know who “work from home” for major businesses jealously guard their time and obsessively meet deliverables and deadlines, otherwise they will be caught out as work shy and make zero progress in their careers. Being present in the office doesn’t guarantee getting the best from workers when work from home is a possibility.

My experience working from home.

https://youtu.be/IW3lhfVpLL4" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/IW3lhfVpLL4

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Good workers will work the same whether they are at home or in the office.
Most large corporations have this as standard practice now - flexible working is key to attracting the best talent.

I’ve been doing one day at home for the last 2 years and it makes a big difference to your week.

-------------

Posted By: eboue16
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 3:26pm

You're assuming we have a functioning nationwide access to strong reliable broadband 

-------------
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 3:31pm

Very unfair on the poor ****s who can’t get a job. It is bad enough that television programmes about rich counts mock them all day, now they can’t even enjoy the one little victory of watching the neighbours f**k off in a rush in the morning.

-------------

Posted By: PaddyDaCulchie
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 3:57pm
pubs will stop selling Corona on tap to the masses

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 12:35am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

On a societal level, I'd like to think the concept of being personally responsible for yer own decisions gets reintroduced on a broad scale. Again, this is wishful thinking. Over the last decade, it's clear to me that nearly everything is set up to pander to idiots and their needs these days.  This has been cynically exploited by politicians, particularly in the UK and USA of late. 

Dare criticise them for being idiots and it's ''don't demonise them, sure they're being fed misinformation, it's not their fault'' Even on here, there were lads up to a day or 2 talking about going to Bratislava (which closed it's road and rail borders as well as airports since Monday, not that they were bothered to research such minor details) without a single care in the world other than their few quid spent on flights. 

We're being overloaded with information on isolation and social distancing at the moment, yet people think tis grand to head off to the pub on the lash. Presumably, anything that happens as a consequence of that won't be their fault either. Maybe this might change those attitudes, though I'm not exactly hopeful or anything. 

Overdosed on sanity typing that, but the various scenes this evening from Temple Bar & the likes have set me straight. Apologies, dunno what I was thinking. The world belongs to the idiots, the rest of us are only lucky to be living in it. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 1:52pm

Overdosed on sanity typing that, but the various scenes this evening from Temple Bar & the likes have set me straight. Apologies, dunno what I was thinking. The world belongs to the idiots, the rest of us are only lucky to be living in it. 

I agree the people in those pubs are idiots, but human nature is that people will take the piss. 

That's why there has to be effective government regulation. 

Self-regulation never works. 

Ironically and paradoxically, regulation by public opinion has actually proved a lot more effective than government regulation during this crisis. 

But that's a damning indictment of government regulation and government communication. 

And our government has been a hell of a lot better than many others in that regard.

The problem has been the reactiveness of it all. Putting off measures that were inevitable anyway on the basis of "the economy". 

The truth is, the economy is f**ked either way. Bringing forward by a week measures that are inevitably going to have to be taken anyway is not going to make the economic problem any worse, and it might give you some small chance of mitigating the public heath crisis. 

The government do not control Cheltenham, this is true, but they should have given clear instructions that Irish people should not travel. They should have made it clear that pubs should close this weekend. 

We are learning more by the day about what measures taken in various countries have worked, yet most countries aren't implementing them. 

A week ago the narrative was that China was an authoritarian country and was taking measures that a democracy like Ireland could never take. Well, that narrative has now collapsed.

We are going to have to take those measures because the lives of hundreds of thousands of people are at stake. 

This is going to be a long slog and people had better be prepared for it.

Hopefully the narrative at the end of it all is that we overreacted, drastically overreacted even. If it is, we'll know that the reaction was entirely appropriate.

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 2:01pm
I am, perhaps naively, hopeful that this could finally be the seismic shock that makes us wake up as a species - like the frog being dropped into the boiling water and jumping out. 

Because we've been slowly boiled alive for years now. 

The solutions to this crisis are going to require government intervention on a scale undreamed of - of the sort we have been told is impossible, even though it is necessary.

They will require international co-operation on a scale undreamed of previously - not turning inward. 

All this will be a litmus test for how we deal with the far bigger crisis that is already unfolding - the destruction of our planet. 

This will be World War II like in its implications for economies and societies. It will require solutions that are even more imaginative than whan happened after World War II. 

But whatever happens, it must involve solutions that encompass a fundamental re-thinking towards things like investment in public healthcare, stopping wealth hoarding, and massive green technological development to preserve ourselves as a species. 

The focus must be on long term thinking. 

This must be the end of the political charlatanism of the likes of Trump, Putin, Johnson and all the other charlatans who have been boiling us alive like frogs.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 2:19pm
Yep, I agree there. It does feel like this is nature's way of telling us to cop the f**k on. After WW2, many of the important nations realised their folly and realised their stupidity. A few generations on and you have Brits pining for the colonies, Americans wanting more, an increase of racist and protectionist leaders across the globe and all of them deliberately ignoring the climate crisis because of their own personal wealth.
If it doesn't start to hit home now then it never will.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:07pm
I wonder how a break from CO2 emissions for 6 months affect the planet for the better.  Although cars are still driving its much much less and air travel is coming to a halt.  We might get used to a new way of life in these new 6 months and realise we can do without some things.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:10pm

I wonder how a break from CO2 emissions for 6 months affect the planet for the better.  Although cars are still driving its much much less and air travel is coming to a halt.  We might get used to a new way of life in these new 6 months and realise we can do without some things.

Google the before/after satellite photos of cities like Shanghai and Beijing where before you couldn't see anything because of pollution levels but during their peak of the outbreak the cities were actually visible.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:10pm
Sure emissions from china have reduced massively and this has been well publicised.  So there is no wonder to what will happen environmentally.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Sure emissions from china have reduced massively and this has been well publicised.  So there is no wonder to what will happen environmentally.  

'There is no wonder.' Good God!
So you know and everyone else knows (apart from me obviously) precisely the effect this will have on the environment?  Will it have any effect on the rate of polar ice melting?  What temperature will the air be after 6 months of low emmissions?  Will we see a reverse of global warming or a mere stagnation?  What about the ozone layer?  That has been recovering at a steady rate for a while now.  Will it have any big effect on that? 

So there is no wonder amongst scientists?  I doubt that.

I've seen the photos last week btw.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 7:37pm
The sight of extremely rich people queuing up in Waitrose for toilet roll is something to behold. 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The sight of extremely rich people queuing up in Waitrose for toilet roll is something to behold. 

What do they normally wipe their holes with?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

What do they normally wipe their holes with?

£50 notes.

The new notes tend to rip easy while wiping and there’s nothing worse than a cheeky finger which slips through 

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 8:25pm
People will keep washing their hands on a regular basis, which in turn will weaken their immune system overtime. The lucky ones to survive this virus will succumb to a similar viral infection in the future 

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 8:28pm
Thata A load of informmed sh*tw

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 8:59pm
Take your mask off and I might understand what you are trying to say

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

People will keep washing their hands on a regular basis, which in turn will weaken their immune system overtime. The lucky ones to survive this virus will succumb to a similar viral infection in the future 
You in the local ? LOL

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 9:17pm
No, too hungover 

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 3:21pm
There might be some new reality TV shows:

How Clean are your Hands

Self Isolating with Chas and Dave

The Fortnight Fling - new dating show, 8 singletons go out on the town, the aim is to pull and get them to come home with you, and then they're stuck with you for two weeks of an isolation period

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

The Fortnight Fling - new dating show, 8 singletons go out on the town, the aim is to pull and get them to come home with you, and then they're stuck with you for two weeks of an isolation period

It already existed, it was called Geordie Shore LOL

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 3:34pm

There might be some new reality TV shows:

How Clean are your Hands

Self Isolating with Chas and Dave

Mayo for SAM.  We follow the mayo football team to Croke Park on the 3rd Sunday in September where they finally get a positive result.

For Coronavirus

-------------

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 3:36pm
Would that not be Mayo for Corona then?

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Would that not be Mayo for Corona then?

Probably.  It wasn't coming from deep thought.

-------------

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 1:46pm
The absurdness of taking two very different approaches to dealing with a global pandemic on a small enough island is surely yet another nail in the partitionist coffin. This whole crisis could accelerate a United Ireland even quicker than Brexit was going to.

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 6:05pm
Anybody think this global pandemic will make people/governments realise we are a small planet after all and we should help everybody out. 

Approx 9 million people die every year from hunger / hunger related diseases.

That’s approx 25k a day, every day.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 6:09pm

Anybody think this global pandemic will make people/governments realise we are a small planet after all and we should help everybody out. 

Yeah, but loads of them aren’t even white.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 6:44pm
Those of us who have been calling for a radical left green politics for years have been proven entirely correct. This is indisputable. 

And I take no pleasure in saying that, because our collective failure to realise that means immeasurable human suffering. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 11:18pm

Yeah, but loads of them aren’t even white.

They don’t panic buy as they have no money to buy anything 

They don’t even panic as they are used to it. 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 12:11am
We’ll hopefully stop taking photos of perturbed looking pensioners in sparsely stocked supermarkets 

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 9:51am
With the arse falling out of the AirB&B market we might have a semi affordable rental market for a year or two Shocked

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 9:54am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

With the arse falling out of the AirB&B market we might have a semi affordable rental market for a year or two Shocked

Might be a fine time to scale up in the house market too if you can keep a job. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 12:49pm
We were in the process of buying a house, it had just gone sale agreed to us last Friday. Going to put it on hold for a bit now if possible. Very uncertain 4 - 6 months upon us

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 1:58pm

We were in the process of buying a house, it had just gone sale agreed to us last Friday. Going to put it on hold for a bit now if possible. Very uncertain 4 - 6 months upon us
Ive a spare room if you’re stuck pal, two bunk beds though Thumbs UpThumbs Up

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Ive a spare room if you’re stuck pal, two bunk beds though Thumbs UpThumbs Up

LOL 

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 12:04pm
Just a thought about that Irish lad who is stuck in Peru.
I think he could have got a flight a few days ago but it would have cost about €3,500.
He said he could not afford that.
He has travel insurance.
But now there is no information and no flights. He is stuck.
Anyone here ever set off on a round the world trip.
How much do you have to have saved before you go?
How much instant cash do you have?
How much contingency money do you have on reserve?
He’s 28, I think he is with another person, so their parents probably aren’t that old (probably still working).
The point I’m trying to get at is that if he really wanted to get home he’d get the money somewhere and then pay it back when he gets home, or try to claim it through his travel insurance.
It is not a huge amount of money.
Their previously booked flights have been cancelled, will they get a refund?
I presume he wasn’t on the breadline before he set off and had a job before he went.
Another traveler is saying there is resentment from the locals about the Europeans bringing the virus to their country, which must be awful.
Another saying there is a curfew from 8pm to 5am....is that really a big deal?

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 12:55pm

I think he could have got a flight a few days ago but it would have cost about €3,500.
He has travel insurance.
He’s 28, I think he is with another person, so their parents probably aren’t that old (probably still working).
The point I’m trying to get at is that if he really wanted to get home he’d get the money somewhere and then pay it back when he gets home, or try to claim it through his travel insurance.
I presume he wasn’t on the breadline before he set off and had a job before he went.
Another traveler is saying there is resentment from the locals about the Europeans bringing the virus to their country, which must be awful.
I've been on those trips, there's days you couldn't coordinate ordering lunch let alone coordinating a trip home.

And it's a once in a lifetime thing, if ya go home, it's over. I can see why they'd be hesitent to give up.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 1:04pm

He has travel insurance.
I've been on those trips, there's days you couldn't coordinate ordering lunch let alone coordinating a trip home.

And it's a once in a lifetime thing, if ya go home, it's over. I can see why they'd be hesitent to give up.

I don’t think he’s hesitant to give up, he’s hesitant to fork out for it.
To get there in the first place he did manage to coordinate money/flights/visas/jabs etc, but now all of a sudden he’s turned to jelly.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 1:47pm

He has travel insurance.

Ironic seeing as their ancestors probably did the same.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 2:01pm
Coveney just confirmed BA and Aer Lingus are sending a charter to Lima

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 8:56am
Property Tax.
I signed up for the single Direct Debit option last year, it was supposed to go out on the 22nd March, but it hasn’t gone out yet?
Anyone else do this, has yours gone out?

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 12:39pm
They've already said they're deferring collections for two months.

-------------

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 4:17pm
Gonna be a couple of generations of kids that will be grow up with a OCD germ phobia. 

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 4:30pm
They'll be whinging that they didn't consent to be being infected by the virus.

Like this helmet -

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-47154287" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-47154287

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

They've already said they're deferring collections for two months.

Thanks SD, I hadn’t heard that 👍

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 8:53pm
The number of members in gyms could go down
If people are outside running or exercising in their back gardens all summer they may realise that they don’t need a gym and save themselves 50 quid a month when this is all over 

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 9:01pm

If people are outside running or exercising in their back gardens all summer they may realise that they don’t need a gym and save themselves 50 quid a month when this is all over 

Or people could be so unfit that they need to join one when it ends who knows :) 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 9:03pm

They go down in the summer anyways.

Absolutely no one suggests let's go do some burpees when it's 20+ degrees outside. 

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 9:06pm

Absolutely no one suggests let's go do some burpees when it's 20+ degrees outside. 
That depends on whether or not you have windees.

-------------

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 9:13pm

That depends on whether or not you have windees.
LOLLOLClap

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 10:18pm

A mate of mine always says paying gym membership and doing the Lotto are a tax on idiots.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 8:10am
All the companies that foooked over their staff should be named and shamed and be avoided when this is all over.

I’m sure with social media this will happen so some extent. Hopefully it really kicks off.

On another note, Budweiser which owns Corona beer and over 500 others, has lost billions in the stock market. 
Now all the companies have taken a hit but this has lost more than the rest. 

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 9:46am

A good read:

multi-billionaire Gates, 64 – who donated £85 million to combat the virus last month – believes that despite the chaos, there is ‘a spiritual purpose behind everything that happens’.

In an open letter, entitled ‘What is the Corona/ Covid-19 Virus Really Teaching us?’, he wrote:

‘A SPIRITUAL PURPOSE’

“I’m a strong believer that there is a spiritual purpose behind everything that happens, whether that is what we perceive as being good or being bad.

“As I meditate upon this, I want to share with you what I feel the Corona/ Covid-19 virus is really doing to us.

1) It is reminding us that we are all equal, regardless of our culture, religion, occupation, financial situation or how famous we are. This disease treats us all equally, perhaps we should too.

If you don’t believe me, just ask Tom Hanks.

2) It is reminding us that we are all connected and something that affects one person has an effect on another.

It is reminding us that the false borders that we have put up have little value as this virus does not need a passport.

It is reminding us, by oppressing us for a short time, of those in this world whose whole life is spent in oppression.

3) It is reminding us of how precious our health is and how we have moved to neglect it through eating nutrient poor manufactured food and drinking water that is contaminated with chemicals upon chemicals.

If we don’t look after our health, we will, of course, get sick.

4) It is reminding us of the shortness of life and of what is most important for us to do, which is to help each other, especially those who are old or sick.

Our purpose is not to buy toilet roll.

5) It is reminding us of how materialistic our society has become and how, when in times of difficulty, we remember that it’s the essentials that we need (food, water, medicine) as opposed to the luxuries that we sometimes unnecessarily give value to.

6) It is reminding us of how important our family and home life is and how much we have neglected this.

It is forcing us back into our houses so we can rebuild them into our home and to strengthen our family unit.

‘OUR TRUE WORK’

7) It is reminding us that our true work is not our job, that is what we do, not what we were created to do.

Our true work is to look after each other, to protect each other and to be of benefit to one another.

8) It is reminding us to keep our egos in check.

It is reminding us that no matter how great we think we are or how great others think we are, a virus can bring our world to a standstill.

9) It is reminding us that the power of freewill is in our hands.

We can choose to cooperate and help each other, to share, to give, to help and to support each other or we can choose to be selfish, to hoard, to look after only our self.

Indeed, it is difficulties that bring out our true colours.

10) It is reminding us that we can be patient, or we can panic.

We can either understand that this type of situation has happened many times before in history and will pass, or we can panic and see it as the end of the world and, consequently, cause ourselves more harm than good.

11) It is reminding us that this can either be an end or a new beginning.

This can be a time of reflection and understanding, where we learn from our mistakes, or it can be the start of a cycle which will continue until we finally learn the lesson we are meant to.

12) It is reminding us that this Earth is sick.

It is reminding us that we need to look at the rate of deforestation just as urgently as we look at the speed at which toilet rolls are disappearing off of shelves. We are sick because our home is sick.

13) It is reminding us that after every difficulty, there is always ease.

Life is cyclical, and this is just a phase in this great cycle. We do not need to panic; this too shall pass.

14) Whereas many see the Corona/ Covid-19 virus as a great disaster, I prefer to see it as a *great corrector*

It is sent to remind us of the important lessons that we seem to have forgotten and it is up to us if we will learn them or not.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 10:06am
There's an awful lot of fake news about these days, this included. Still, the sentiments sound good

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-bill-gates-fake-news-the-sun-letter-naomi-campbell-instagram-a9421251.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-bill-gates-fake-news-the-sun-letter-naomi-campbell-instagram-a9421251.html

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 10:07am
I know he means well and has shown he has a conscience by using charidee to assuage his guilt, but that is sanctimonious bollocks. Even if he is 100% right, he is a computer programmer and a businessman, not Gandhi.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 10:08am

I know he means well and has shown he has a conscience by using charidee to assuage his guilt, but that is sanctimonious bollocks. Even if he is 100% right, he is a computer programmer and a businessman, not Gandhi.

He never said it

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 10:12am
We'll have a better idea of how selfish and ignorant we are as a nation when this is all over. Thats for sure.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 10:15am

He never said it

William, if you are reading, and I can only assume you are, I apologise from the very heart of my bottom.

-------------

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 5:19pm
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/david-mcwilliams-we-need-to-totally-reimagine-economics-1.4213305?mode=amp" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/david-mcwilliams-we-need-to-totally-reimagine-economics-1.4213305?mode=amp

Interesting from McWilliams 

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 5:32pm
Thoughts on gambling? It's one thing I imagine a lot of people will go cold turkey on currently for obvious reasons. Do ya think a lot will get out of the habit, or people who were mildly addicted will take the break as a chance to quit for good?

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 5:41pm
I was thinking that the other day
If people go a couple of months without a bet they might get out of the habit, realise they have a bit extra money in their bank account instead and not take it up again
On the other hand they might go buck mad when the bookies reopen when sport starts up again 

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 5:43pm

Thoughts on gambling? It's one thing I imagine a lot of people will go cold turkey on currently for obvious reasons. Do ya think a lot will get out of the habit, or people who were mildly addicted will take the break as a chance to quit for good?

No because that's when the Internet becomes a bad thing.

I bet the die hard addicts will be pissing their money away on the Belarusian Premier League and Australian Football right now.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 6:01pm

No because that's when the Internet becomes a bad thing.

I bet the die hard addicts will be pissing their money away on the Belarusian Premier League and Australian Football right now.
As opposed to betting on a football forum LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 6:11pm
what sport is there to bet on now apart from virtuals? 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

what sport is there to bet on now apart from virtuals? 
Certainly not much I would have thought

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 6:15pm
The 2 I mentioned....

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 6:18pm

The 2 I mentioned....
You just bet on the diehard addicts I presume LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 7:56pm
Table tennis seems to be the busiest sport to bet on on Bet365 at the minute 

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 8:17pm

Aren’t the Chinese and bats the cause of all this?*

*That’s a joke, I am well aware that the situation is far more complex.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 8:21pm
I'm not suggesting a hardcore addict is gonna quit, but your average joe who just throws down a few bets when there's a weekend of premier league games on, I've a feeling a few of them might start giving it a skip

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 8:22pm

LOL

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 9:47pm

Clap

-------------

Posted By: Jackal
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 9:49pm

I'm looking forward to doing a fiver docket for the next soccer Saturday.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:18pm

I'm not suggesting a hardcore addict is gonna quit, but your average joe who just throws down a few bets when there's a weekend of premier league games on, I've a feeling a few of them might start giving it a skip

I was actually reading something advising people about changing their habits in terms of drinking at home. It suggested that having a few beers at home, or a glass or two of wine is totally grand, but that people should avoid changing habits, such as becoming a nightly home drinker, if that’s not been the way you’ve operated before. Or if you do like a drink every night, avoid turning it in to four or five on a nightly basis. And try to avoid things like liquid lunches when working from home, simply because you can.

However, I think this will change how we drink at home one way or another.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:31pm
It’s much easier to just have one at home. When you have one at home it means one, two at most. One in the pub, especially a decent pub, can spell trouble!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:48pm
Agree, two at home would be my limit these days 

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:53pm
Things I’m looking forward to when this is all over is an end to the sh*t that has polluted social media in recent weeks
Between people juggling toilet rolls with their feet, to naming teams out of items in their houses, to photos of them as a footballer, to some thing called until tomorrow, to daily videos of their workouts Dead
Give it a f**king rest 

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:47pm
I had got into the habit of a few beers every night, even more on the weekend. 
Wife finally called me up on it on Friday night, got into a big argument. I haven’t drank since then so I guess she won.

In fairness it was not the best road to be going down.
Go back to 2-3 nights a week

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net