Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57359
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 1:01am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Non Irish born fans
Posted By: Dunne Leery
Subject: Non Irish born fans
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:38pm
Have we got many on here ? A fair few  English born and bred with  Irish parents still support Ireland .I made the decision to aged 9 or 10 and don't intend to switch thirty plus years later.

Replies:
Posted By: Darren
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 12:08pm
 Born in London, but always been 100% Irish

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 12:15pm
We have a big English born Irish support and have done for generations, and we will always have it Clap

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 12:20pm
Plenty on here, I’m non-irish born myself but lived here basically all my life. Plenty with English accents on away trips also. 

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 12:28pm
Born in dublin but lived in england for 32 years (left when I was a child) 
so accent is more Benedict Cumberbatch than irish. Does that count?

Additionally- wife is japanese, son born in England and wears the green with Doherty on the back, has an irish passport and INSISTS he's irish. 

Posted By: IrishCanadian
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 12:43pm
Canadian born and raised with parents from Carlow. Spent my summers there and loved Roy Keane as a kid so was natural to support Ireland. Even though my dad is a gaa man and never watched football. 

It was also a lot easier to support Ireland and Irish players because they were always televised or easy to find streams. The coverage of Canadian football was abysmal at time so it was almost impossible for me to even support Canada and only really Paul Stalteri would ever be on tv during his time in the Premier League. 

Posted By: Missy
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 1:11pm
We are fortunate in enough  to have loads  of Irish fans born all over the world. I know a few  who dont even qualify for passport anymore their parents and Grandparents couldn't be arsed to get an Irish passport. These guys are are Irish as the rest of us by us I mean Irish supporters and they are more Irish than EPL barstoolers who only know we have a team when it's a play off or we are playing British Provinces or qualify. They really are more Irish than most of the Irish are themselves.
Our teams may not always have non Irish born players but our fan base always will have non Irish born members as  the Catalpa song Irish to the core goes "some may speak with foreign tones but for Ireland boys you never walk alone "

-------------
All opinions are my own and have f**k all to do with Mullingar RISSC CRISC Ticket Office or the FAI

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 1:25pm
Some real hardcore fans i must say .
Quite a few are well know on here as well .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Canadian born and raised with parents from Carlow. Spent my summers there and loved Roy Keane as a kid so was natural to support Ireland. Even though my dad is a gaa man and never watched football. 

It was also a lot easier to support Ireland and Irish players because they were always televised or easy to find streams. The coverage of Canadian football was abysmal at time so it was almost impossible for me to even support Canada and only really Paul Stalteri would ever be on tv during his time in the Premier League. 

Or frank yallop!!!!!

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Posted By: TheMightyQuinn
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 10:22pm
Graham Leggat and Bob Lenarduzzi did their best On TSN’s Soccer Saturday, but the coverage was definitely weak until the late 90’s.

-------------
You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn

Posted By: Dunne Leery
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 2:10pm
Growing up in South Manchester in the 70s and 80s I would say half the classes at catholic schools were Irish descent.Most with two parents would support Ireland over England although some have jumped ship to England  ,most haven't that I know of.One Irish parent and grandparents was probably more England but some still went for Ireland. It often depended on how often they went to Ireland kids who went every summer were  more likely to put Ireland first opposed to those who rarely or never went to Ireland on holiday.

Posted By: Bham_McDermott
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 9:18am
Birmingham for 25 years, parents from Ros & Mayo, living in Dublin now since last year, never in doubt Coolmassive bog head on me for a start, and a name to match it as well

-------------
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Bham_McDermott Bham_McDermott wrote:

Birmingham for 25 years, parents from Ros & Mayo, living in Dublin now since last year, never in doubt Coolmassive bog head on me for a start, and a name to match it as well

Welcome home

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 9:35am

Why Dublin and not Ireland?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Welcome home
You wouldn't be shocked at the amount of people who have genuine surprise (or disgust) when they hear what accent comes out of my mouth... but cheers man, just means I can see Villa let me down less and Mayo more frequently

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 11:10am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Why Dublin and not Ireland?
The same reason if you ask half the country folk in Cassidys on Sunday night - work

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 10:25am
Liverpool has a reputation of being a big Irish descended city over the decades but I think Birmingham is undersold on the scale of how much bigger it was, think I read about 4 times more. Third biggest parade in the world behind Dub & NYC. Give St Patrick's parade Digbeth a Google. Some great pubs in Digeth owned by Irish gaffers still going there I am friends with, Hennesseys, Spotted Dog, Clearys, Nortons.

If you went to a Catholic school in Birmingham, or the West Midlands from say 70s-(twenty)10s, strong strong chance your parents or grandparents would have been Irish. Half of my year at school were Boyles/Doyles/Coyles/Byrnes/Finnegans/Mc's & O's and pretty much any common name in between, just with a Brummie accent. Christ, camogie was in the curriculum to be played at Birmingham council schools for the girls, think it only recently stopped in the last 5 years or so.

The Sacred Heart by Villa Park, recently taken over by Limerick/Donegal crowd but was in the hands of a Roscommon crowd for years and had every county GAA jersey on the walls, great for the Irish descent/Catholic community before games drinking with people you would be either related, worked on jobs or went to school with. Still going now but probably not the same now as back in the day, but by far the best by the ground for me anyhow.

A lot of the Builds & Civil contractor still going in the West Midlands today are owned by Irish fellas that came over on the boat for work in the 40s/50s/60s as young bucks, and built up an empire, or either their sons run it now if they've died... 

When Hitler was heading for Poland, and Paddy, for Holyhead Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 10:29am
& Sean G, if you see this, you can relate to us being dragged to every Feis across Birmingham & Coventry every Saturday morning to watch our sisters Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Gabrieléire
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 11:50am

Liverpool has a reputation of being a big Irish descended city over the decades but I think Birmingham is undersold on the scale of how much bigger it was, think I read about 4 times more. Third biggest parade in the world behind Dub & NYC. Give St Patrick's parade Digbeth a Google. Some great pubs in Digeth owned by Irish gaffers still going there I am friends with, Hennesseys, Spotted Dog, Clearys, Nortons.

If you went to a Catholic school in Birmingham, or the West Midlands from say 70s-(twenty)10s, strong strong chance your parents or grandparents would have been Irish. Half of my year at school were Boyles/Doyles/Coyles/Byrnes/Finnegans/Mc's & O's and pretty much any common name in between, just with a Brummie accent. Christ, camogie was in the curriculum to be played at Birmingham council schools for the girls, think it only recently stopped in the last 5 years or so.

The Sacred Heart by Villa Park, recently taken over by Limerick/Donegal crowd but was in the hands of a Roscommon crowd for years and had every county GAA jersey on the walls, great for the Irish descent/Catholic community before games drinking with people you would be either related, worked on jobs or went to school with. Still going now but probably not the same now as back in the day, but by far the best by the ground for me anyhow.

A lot of the Builds & Civil contractor still going in the West Midlands today are owned by Irish fellas that came over on the boat for work in the 40s/50s/60s as young bucks, and built up an empire, or either their sons run it now if they've died... 

Have became great mates with a load of Brummie Irish lads, massive villa fans, they actually drink in the Sacred Heart too. But they like yourself have never been in doubt, Irishmen who just happen to be born in England. Met a fella a few years ago Paddy Foy I think was his name, used to run the supporters club in Brum, was it in Erdinton maybe? Can’t really remember. Don’t think he goes to the matches anymore for health reasons someone mentioned, but a good few who were in that club still go. 

Posted By: Skripi91
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:59pm
Non Irish born fans?

Well then, greetings from Zirndorf, Germany Smile

It may sound a bit funny but the reason I´m such a big Ireland fan is Eddie Irvine.
He was (and still is) my absolute favourite Formula One driver since I was a little child.
I Know Eddie is from Northern Ireland, but in all german sport magazines, he was always shown with the flag of the Republic and it was always mentioned he is from the Republic.

So, for me as a little child, it was quite simple, Eddie is from Ireland, I like Ireland.

Over the years I started to inform myself about the Republic, about the country, the people, traditions, sports and so on.

And I also started to support the Irish national football team and I´m still supporting them!
I was the only german person which was freaking happy when at WC 2002 Robbie scored the euqualizer against Germany, I guess. LOL

-------------
The Euros gonna hear the Irish ROAR

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Have became great mates with a load of Brummie Irish lads, massive villa fans, they actually drink in the Sacred Heart too. But they like yourself have never been in doubt, Irishmen who just happen to be born in England. Met a fella a few years ago Paddy Foy I think was his name, used to run the supporters club in Brum, was it in Erdinton maybe? Can’t really remember. Don’t think he goes to the matches anymore for health reasons someone mentioned, but a good few who were in that club still go. 

Oh yeh? any Irish surnames/what county, knocking about from Sacred Heart I may recognise? 

PF rings a vague bell, I would def know people that would know him... I'm 27 now so may be a bit older than me? Erdington used to be heavy on Irish, but then again most suburbs in the city did. Irish Bham even has its own slight twang variation from Brummie, if you can imagine. Same with Asian Bham as well, massive emigration for them as well

-------------

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 2:57pm
Born and raised in London/Suffolk, but never had any doubt what I was. Always knew where “home” was.

In Boston in the US now and have found it harder to connect with a supporters group over here. Tend to just drift down to the Pheonix, Porter Belly’s or somewhere else if there is a game on and hope they have a feed. With so many options to watch from home, fewer people are going to the pub to watch.

If anybody knows of a group in Boston or Mass, I’m always looking for one.

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Born and raised in London/Suffolk, but never had any doubt what I was. Always knew where “home” was.

In Boston in the US now and have found it harder to connect with a supporters group over here. Tend to just drift down to the Pheonix, Porter Belly’s or somewhere else if there is a game on and hope they have a feed. With so many options to watch from home, fewer people are going to the pub to watch.

If anybody knows of a group in Boston or Mass, I’m always looking for one.
I was there last summer for a week, and they're mad to I.D at the bar in Dubhs, got the passport out each time and the punters next to you - OH MY GOD YOURE FROM IRREEEEEELLLLLAAAANNNNNDDDDD? and repeat.

-------------

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 3:14pm

Totally agree with all that! Massive Irish community in Birmingham and also in Coventry! What you said about Liverpool is true it’s not as Irish as some people seem to think and it has a big loyalist community from the six counties. As you said big paddy’s day parade every year in Birmingham and some great pubs around Digbeth. Erdington has some good Irish pubs The New Inns and the Royal Oak good spots for watching Gaa games. Clearys another great little spot and The Fountain but think that’s closed now and the Irish centre has recently moved out of the city. There was a great magazine out before all about the Irish immigrants in Birmingham and their children called English accent Irish soul very true indeed.

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Totally agree with all that! Massive Irish community in Birmingham and also in Coventry! What you said about Liverpool is true it’s not as Irish as some people seem to think and it has a big loyalist community from the six counties. As you said big paddy’s day parade every year in Birmingham and some great pubs around Digbeth. Erdington has some good Irish pubs The New Inns and the Royal Oak good spots for watching Gaa games. Clearys another great little spot and The Fountain but think that’s closed now and the Irish centre has recently moved out of the city. There was a great magazine out before all about the Irish immigrants in Birmingham and their children called English accent Irish soul very true indeed.

New Inns has great guinness, watched a few games of the rugby there when I was back in October time. The Craic magazine in Birmingham did great for the Irish in the city. Are you from the area yourself?
Scanlons and Behans big in South Birmingham for years, before my time but the Garryowen in Small Heath was huge, but quite rough. Luke Kelly lived in Kings Heath for a stint as well

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 3:44pm
* & the Ceol Castle nightclub in Moseley, my God it's still going now and full of younger ones with Irish grandparents who go to Catholic schools in the area, but back in the day for decades it was an Irish only nightclub, still a fair few that move over for work go there on Friday & Saturday nights until 4am... may have been in once or twice myself WinkLOL

-------------

Posted By: SeanPeadir
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 3:45pm
Spent a fair bit of time as a student and working in Birmingham. Played a bit of GAA. Lot of good times in Digbeth 👍🏻 Parade day was always a great session.

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 3:49pm

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

New Inns has great guinness, watched a few games of the rugby there when I was back in October time. The Craic magazine in Birmingham did great for the Irish in the city. Are you from the area yourself?
Scanlons and Behans big in South Birmingham for years, before my time but the Garryowen in Small Heath was huge, but quite rough. Luke Kelly lived in Kings Heath for a stint as well
The Guinness in the New Inns is unreal and a good pint in the Royal Oak aswell! Some great pubs in general all around that area. No I’m not from there but the woman is from Erdington/Sutton Coldfield and i do some work around there so I’m there quiet a good bit.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Skripi91 Skripi91 wrote:

Non Irish born fans?

Well then, greetings from Zirndorf, Germany Smile

It may sound a bit funny but the reason I´m such a big Ireland fan is Eddie Irvine.
He was (and still is) my absolute favourite Formula One driver since I was a little child.
I Know Eddie is from Northern Ireland, but in all german sport magazines, he was always shown with the flag of the Republic and it was always mentioned he is from the Republic.

So, for me as a little child, it was quite simple, Eddie is from Ireland, I like Ireland.

Over the years I started to inform myself about the Republic, about the country, the people, traditions, sports and so on.

And I also started to support the Irish national football team and I´m still supporting them!
I was the only german person which was freaking happy when at WC 2002 Robbie scored the euqualizer against Germany, I guess. LOL

LOLLOLLOL

Wow, Eddie Irvine. That's crazy alright. Good man yourself.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by SeanPeadir SeanPeadir wrote:

Spent a fair bit of time as a student and working in Birmingham. Played a bit of GAA. Lot of good times in Digbeth 👍🏻 Parade day was always a great session.
What club were you with? Yeah, I'm heading over for it this weekend as it happens, ended up at an afters backroom trad sesh with Finbarr Furey last year my pal had put him on earlier in the day

-------------

Posted By: manchesterbhoy
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 4:29pm
primary school near glasgow and moved to ireland now in second spell in mancunia 

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 4:34pm

* & the Ceol Castle nightclub in Moseley, my God it's still going now and full of younger ones with Irish grandparents who go to Catholic schools in the area, but back in the day for decades it was an Irish only nightclub, still a fair few that move over for work go there on Friday & Saturday nights until 4am... may have been in once or twice myself WinkLOL

Moseley was a great night out when I was a student. Pat Kavanagh a great pub. Used to head down sparkhill for a curry too

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 4:37pm

Moseley was a great night out when I was a student. Pat Kavanagh a great pub. Used to head down sparkhill for a curry too
Pat Kav's still going, just had a load of money pumped into it for a refurb last few years, does well and very popular. Moseley has really taken off in general, they're putting a trainline there from town

-------------

Posted By: Gabrieléire
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 10:50pm

Oh yeh? any Irish surnames/what county, knocking about from Sacred Heart I may recognise? 

PF rings a vague bell, I would def know people that would know him... I'm 27 now so may be a bit older than me? Erdington used to be heavy on Irish, but then again most suburbs in the city did. Irish Bham even has its own slight twang variation from Brummie, if you can imagine. Same with Asian Bham as well, massive emigration for them as well

The boys i'm good mates with are Connolly and Smith, would drink in the Sacred Heart a good bit both of their fathers are Belfast. Also friendly enough with a few Duffys they go on afew trips, Blue Noses though. Was actually walking to the Ireland Scotland WC game in Tokyo and the fella on the train had a thick Brummie accent, wearing an Ireland top. Got chatting to him, he is the DJ in the Sacred Heart, grey haired fella with glasses. Sound man. 

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 11:29pm

There was a chap from Birmingham used to sell badges outside the Beggars Bush and inside before games, big Villa fan.

Good doc if you have an hour to kill... 'Birmingham Irish I Am'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO3_1L59YYc&t=3140s

The Irish who emigrated are more Irish than the ones who remained, always more passionate about their country.

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 9:08am

The boys i'm good mates with are Connolly and Smith, would drink in the Sacred Heart a good bit both of their fathers are Belfast. Also friendly enough with a few Duffys they go on afew trips, Blue Noses though. Was actually walking to the Ireland Scotland WC game in Tokyo and the fella on the train had a thick Brummie accent, wearing an Ireland top. Got chatting to him, he is the DJ in the Sacred Heart, grey haired fella with glasses. Sound man. 
Eddie his name is

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 1:16pm
Was talking to 2 fans before the Ireland/Croatia game in Poznan 2012 - one Irish fan and one Croatian Fan. The Irish fan had a Manc accent and the Croatian fan had an Aussie accent.
Home is where the Heart is........

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 3:13pm
American with Irish grandparents.. always been an Ireland supporter

Posted By: Pubes
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:09pm
Hate this question. It's like asking are there any dublin born fans!

We are all irish, the whole island.
Irish citizens with irish passports, even if we dont step foot outside of derry, newry or belfast in our lives.

Fair enough asking about irish fans from or living abroad, but dont put the north into that category. It's actually quite offensive 

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Pubes Pubes wrote:

Fair enough asking about irish fans from or living abroad, but dont put the north into that category. It's actually quite offensive 

Whereas this proud Irishman finds it offensive (well, more irritating actually) when people use the term "Ireland" when they mean not the island, but rather the Irish Republic.

Ditto when those same people protest that we should use "Ireland" for the state on the basis that it is the official name, yet refuse to use the name "Northern Ireland", despite that also being an official name.

And as for going to the trouble of typing out "the north", or "six counties" when a simple "NI" would suffice, that's plain silly imo.

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Whereas this proud Irishman finds it offensive (well, more irritating actually) when people use the term "Ireland" when they mean not the island, but rather the Irish Republic.

Ditto when those same people protest that we should use "Ireland" for the state on the basis that it is the official name, yet refuse to use the name "Northern Ireland", despite that also being an official name.

And as for going to the trouble of typing out "the north", or "six counties" when a simple "NI" would suffice, that's plain silly imo.

Not if you are a republican, "NI" is plain silly imo.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:37pm
'We are the sh*tes that say NI.'

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Not if you are a republican, "NI" is plain silly imo.

So just because you don't like something, you feel entitled to deny its existence?

I don't like wet weather, but I accept that it rains a lot in Ireland.

Well in the north at least. Wink

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

'We are the sh*tes that say NI.'

I see where you're coming from.

England.

In the United Kingdom.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:16pm
Northern Ireland a made up country. Big smile

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

"If I can't see it and can't hear it, then it doesn't exist!"

(Btw, don't forget to breathe out before your head explodes Wink)

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:45pm

statelet
/ˈsteɪtlɪt/
noun
a small state, especially one that is closely affiliated to or has emerged from the break-up of a larger state.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:59pm
Amsterdam born. Been supporting Ireland as far back as I remember. 
Irish mum, Dutch dad that both still live in Dublin. Moved back here to start a pub empire Wink

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

statelet
/ˈsteɪtlɪt/
noun
a small state, especially one that is closely affiliated to or has emerged from the break-up of a larger state.

And your state is?

Don't tell me, I think I've got it...

Yes, here it is:

"A state of denial"

Definition:

not having fully accepted something

"Despite it being right on his doorstep, I think he's still in a state of denial about the existence of Northern Ireland."

Posted By: cardwizzard
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:33pm

Hate this question. It's like asking are there any dublin born fans!

We are all irish, the whole island.
Irish citizens with irish passports, even if we dont step foot outside of derry, newry or belfast in our lives.

Never got this myself. I'd say 95% of the support wouldn't bat an eye if your from the North. Think it's more of an inward thing to be honest. Sure when your on an away every county or town gets a bit of stick, if I sl*g a Dub/Cork lad ye got to expect something thrown back.

Derry myself. 

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:56pm
"State of denial" coming from someone that calls N.I. a country ffs LOL 

No one denies N.I. exists. It's a statelet/part of the British state of the United Kingdom just as the rest of our country (Ireland) and India etc etc was previously part of the British state. India was still India, it's own country and nation just as Ireland was and is to this day.  

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: BohsinMunich
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Irish mum, Dutch dad that both still live in Dublin. Moved back here to start a pub empire Wink

SA
Good luck with that Beer
(luckily you had some forward thinking)

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:19pm

Just out of curiosity Steve if Ireland were playing the Netherlands, would there be a split loyalty or just 100% hoping Ireland win? I know you support the Netherlands anyway if Ireland isn't involved.  

It's not a test btw LOLWink

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

So England, Scotland and Wales don't exist either? Try telling that to 64m of my fellow Britons then, and let me know how you get on!

No one denies N.I. exists.
Try telling that to some of your fellow countrymen and women then, since it's they who have the problem, not me.

It's a statelet/part of the British state of the United Kingdom just as the rest of our country (Ireland) and India etc etc was previously part of the British state. India was still India, it's own country and nation just as Ireland was and is to this day.  
Just when you looked to be making progress, then you stumble.

You see, the geographical landmass which is modern day India always existed, but not as a single, political entity. My own knowledge is sketchy, but afaik it was a constantly changing collection of princely states and invading empires and colonies, with differing religions, ethnic groups and languages, sometimes at war with each other, at other times co-operating and merging.

It may even only ever have existed as a recognisably unitary state under the British. You know, just like Ireland Wink

Meanwhile, the "India" which got it's independence in 1948 itself divided into India and Pakistan, with the latter further sub-dividing to produce Bangladesh.

So just as your idea of a single "India" is not sustainable by reference either to the past or the present, then your insistence on a single Ireland (state, not island) is no more ordained, inevitable or immutable.

We exist, we've existed for all but a century, and we're quite capable of continuing to exist as long as you or I or anyone else living can foresee:
https://www.irishpost.com/news/less-30-northern-irish-people-vote-united-ireland-179760" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishpost.com/news/less-30-northern-irish-people-vote-united-ireland-179760

(And to take this back to football) All that being so, there are two international football teams in Ireland, with everyone free to support either, neither or both, as they please.

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:53pm
Anyone remember Alex, the fan from Russia, who joined ybig for a few months before our game in Moscow in 2011 and then met us all in the Irish bar and minded us on the Sunday night over there? 

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

Anyone remember Alex, the fan from Russia, who joined ybig for a few months before our game in Moscow in 2011 and then met us all in the Irish bar and minded us on the Sunday night over there? 
LegendClap took us all on the metro and paid for everyone. 

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Some good sessions all starting in the hotel Sovietsky Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

load of us done a runner from a taxi after payingEmbarrassed

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 10:36pm

That wouldn't be uncommon on Ireland trips 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

That wouldn't be uncommon on Ireland trips 
Yeah legged it back to the hotel across a green. The cops on the door let us back in with a jovial hello. Thick f**ks we were.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 10:40pm

LOL I think I remember a sort of gentleman’s club downstairs in the hotel and some Right hard looking men running it too, the so called concierge was ripping us off when looking to get taxis from the hotel and we were getting tailed by their own security police too

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 10:48pm

LOL I think I remember a sort of gentleman’s club downstairs in the hotel and some Right hard looking men running it too, the so called concierge was ripping us off when looking to get taxis from the hotel and we were getting tailed by their own security police too
few of us went into the city centre one of the days and just strolled around for hours, having a random beer here and there. Spent hours just strolling, it was great. We hailed a taxi and it took ages to get back to the hotel. Driver had excellent English and had studied abroad. Got back and he charges us about half of what the other lads charged for about 3 times the journey if not more. We kept his number and rang him from then on.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:17am
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

SA
Good luck with that Beer

Any foresight went out the window these last few weeks. 
The last week of being open it was a ghost town, then followed 2 weeks of closing, and now today another 3 weeks added, plus the 1 we still had to go. 6 weeks closed will wipe out all reserves and even though we get some of it back, it's tough times ahead. 
At least we'll have alcohol to numb the pain lol

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:19am

Just out of curiosity Steve if Ireland were playing the Netherlands, would there be a split loyalty or just 100% hoping Ireland win? I know you support the Netherlands anyway if Ireland isn't involved.  

Ireland. Though it's a good thing for me Ireland can't play Ajax!

-------------

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:20am

SA
Good luck with that Beer

The last week of being open it was a ghost town, then followed 2 weeks of closing, and now today another 3 weeks added, plus the 1 we still had to go. 6 weeks closed will wipe out all reserves and even though we get some of it back, it's tough times ahead. 

Main Thing Steve, you and Muriel and the 2 young ones are okay, YBIG Party in Mollys after all thisThumbs UpBeer

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:25am
Originally posted by brianie brianie wrote:

SA
Good luck with that Beer

Main Thing Steve, you and Muriel and the 2 young ones are okay, YBIG Party in Mollys after all thisThumbs UpBeer

Thanks Bri. All well and healthy and that's the main concern. One of our regulars was actually in IC for 2 weeks with Corona. Early 50's. He's on the mend now, but it was touch and go. Goes to show how close to.home it can hit. 

And let's hope we can have a bash here after! Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:25am
That sounds like a plan LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:37am

With the few quid we saved on the away trips, more than a planThumbs Up

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:42am

Handshake

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 2:08am

So England, Scotland and Wales don't exist either? Try telling that to 64m of my fellow Britons then, and let me know how you get on!

Genuine question: I’m confused when I hear Norn Iron folks refer to themselves as British. Britain is an island, Ireland is an island. If you are from the island of Britain you are British, if you are from the island of Ireland you are Irish. 

Are you referring to “fellow Britons” because of your ethnic background (you can trace ancestors back to somewhere in Britain) or because you are part of the United Kingdom?

-------------

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:56am

And yet he still sounds more of a Dub than me!!

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 10:20am

Ireland. Though it's a good thing for me Ireland can't play Ajax!

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 10:49am

So England, Scotland and Wales don't exist either? Try telling that to 64m of my fellow Britons then, and let me know how you get on! Both Wales and Scotland are countries, nations and distinct nationalities but not states. Comparing a part of this country with them under the British state is absurd. 

No one denies N.I. exists.
Try telling that to some of your fellow countrymen and women then, since it's they who have the problem, not me. N.I. exists as a political construct within Ireland. It is a part of the British state. It is not a country, nation or distinct nationality the way Scotland and Wales are. 

It's a statelet/part of the British state of the United Kingdom just as the rest of our country (Ireland) and India etc etc was previously part of the British state. India was still India, it's own country and nation just as Ireland was and is to this day.  
Just when you looked to be making progress, then you stumble. 

You see, the geographical landmass which is modern day India always existed, but not as a single, political entity. My own knowledge is sketchy, but afaik it was a constantly changing collection of princely states and invading empires and colonies, with differing religions, ethnic groups and languages, sometimes at war with each other, at other times co-operating and merging. Again you're conflating political entities such as states with countries and nations. I don't view the actual modern 26 county state of Ireland as the entirety of my country. 

It may even only ever have existed as a recognisably unitary state under the British. You know, just like Ireland Wink  Again you're conflating political entities such as states with countries and nations.

Meanwhile, the "India" which got it's independence in 1948 itself divided into India and Pakistan, with the latter further sub-dividing to produce Bangladesh. And again

So just as your idea of a single "India" is not sustainable by reference either to the past or the present, then your insistence on a single Ireland (state, not island) is no more ordained, inevitable or immutable. And again LOL I agree that The entirety of Ireland has never been a state, it's a country. 

We exist, we've existed for all but a century, and we're quite capable of continuing to exist as long as you or I or anyone else living can foresee: Unfortunately we're in agreement here. 
https://www.irishpost.com/news/less-30-northern-irish-people-vote-united-ireland-179760" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishpost.com/news/less-30-northern-irish-people-vote-united-ireland-179760

(And to take this back to football) All that being so, there are two international football teams in Ireland, with everyone free to support either, neither or both, as they please.

I've answered your points in the quoted text. 

Here's a hypothetical for you. The Treaty has been signed and most of the counties of Leinster are now under British rule. The new jurisdiction (we'll avoid using state & country) is now called Eastern Ireland. I'm assuming you consider yourself 'Northern Irish' as a nationality if Northern Ireland is your country. It's almost a century later. I'm aware you consider yourself both Irish and British but would you also be on here defining your nationality as Eastern Irish? 

I'm from the West of Ireland. I think I'd be getting some strange looks if I was in someone else's country defining my nationality as Western Irish if most of Connacht was under British rule and I was an Irish Unionist like yourself. 

-------------

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:16am

Genuine question: I’m confused when I hear Norn Iron folks refer to themselves as British. Britain is an island, Ireland is an island. If you are from the island of Britain you are British, if you are from the island of Ireland you are Irish. 

Are you referring to “fellow Britons” because of your ethnic background (you can trace ancestors back to somewhere in Britain) or because you are part of the United Kingdom?

Obviously a controversial topic.  NI born Citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland can choose British or Irish nationality.  

Some extreme Loyalists would support England over Northern Ireland in football.  Not too comfortable with green shirts and a Celtic Cross on the badge.  

Many now actually consider themselves Northern Irish eg Rory McIlroy.  

However I suspect the vast vast majority of our fans from north of the border just consider themselves Irish.  

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:24am
Always surprised to see hardened Unionists (DUP,TUV or Orangeman) seem to be happy enough to come down and support the Irish rugby team in LR.

Move away from sports and they'd see Ireland as a foreign country.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:28pm

The money being saved at the moment, if we are still fortunate to have it coming in, means this could be a tremendous idea. What could possibly go wrong?LOL

-------------

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Obviously a controversial topic.  NI born Citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland can choose British or Irish nationality.  

Some extreme Loyalists would support England over Northern Ireland in football.  Not too comfortable with green shirts and a Celtic Cross on the badge.  

However I suspect the vast vast majority of our fans from north of the border just consider themselves Irish.  

I can't think of any Loyalist, no matter how extreme, that would support England over NI. Loyalists are a funny bunch, it's often been remarked how despite their superficial dedication to Britishness, their actual commitment to the British state and it's rules is rather flimsy. Really, their "Loyalty" is more rooted in Royalism and Protestantism, both of which are embodied more fully by NI's support base than England's.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: craiglen
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 1:41pm

Thanks Bri. All well and healthy and that's the main concern. One of our regulars was actually in IC for 2 weeks with Corona. Early 50's. He's on the mend now, but it was touch and go. Goes to show how close to.home it can hit. 

And let's hope we can have a bash here after! Big smile

Would be absolutely all over a massive session in Molly's

-------------
Fan's game record: 5 Caps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 140 km covered

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 3:41pm

Genuine question: I’m confused when I hear Norn Iron folks refer to themselves as British. Britain is an island, Ireland is an island
There is no island called "Britain".

The island comprising England, Scotland and Wales is properly known as "Great Britain" and has been since Norman times (if not earlier), originally to distinguish it from the other, smaller "Britain" i.e. Brittany. ("great" as in "large").

And whilst we're on the subject, Great Britain and the various other islands on the archipelago - Man, Shetland, Hebrides, Ireland etc - are collectively known as "The British Isles". Now I expect that many posters on here object to that, but hey ho, what can they do. LOL 

If you are from the island of Britain you are British, if you are from the island of Ireland you are Irish.
I am Irish, because I was born in Ireland (island) - it's obvious the moment I open my mouth! This is a geographical and cultural description and I am entirely at ease with it. Indeed I would say I'm proud of it - if that's not being immodest about something over which I had no control.

But as a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, I am also British - it's on my passport after all! I am equally proud of that.

Meanwhile I only use the term "British" because to describe myself as "United Kingdomish" would sound a bit silly. (It's a bit like eg citizens of the Kingdom of the Netherlands routinely calling themselves "Dutch", rather than "Netherlandish").

I see no contradiction in any of this, since each designation refers to something different i.e. culture/geography versus nationality/politics. Indeed I consider myself lucky to be able to embrace both, all under the label of "Northern Irish" - my preferred designation.

All that said, I have no objection to other people from NI classifying themselves solely as "British" or "Irish", so long as they don't in turn demand that I adopt their particular choice too. (Unfortunately far too many do, on both sides).

For me it's the latter, although as it happens, my ancestral background seems to date mostly back to Scotland.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:16pm

It seems most if our disagreement or misunderstanding stems from terminology and language, even semantics.

Either way I don't care - coming from Northern Ireland I am able to enjoy the benefits of both Britishness and Irishness, with the added bonus of having my own wee football team to support.

Moreover, there will be no change to any of that unless/until a majority of my fellow Northern Irish folk so will it - and I don't see that changing in my lifetime:

Here's a hypothetical for you. The Treaty has been signed and most of the counties of Leinster are now under British rule. The new jurisdiction (we'll avoid using state & country) is now called Eastern Ireland. I'm assuming you consider yourself 'Northern Irish' as a nationality if Northern Ireland is your country. It's almost a century later. I'm aware you consider yourself both Irish and British but would you also be on here defining your nationality as Eastern Irish?
I'm not sure I quite follow. But if your scenario meant that I was now a citizen of the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Eastern Ireland", then I guess I'd be happy to describe myself as "Eastern Irish" - at least if I could still have an "Eastern Ireland" football team to support!

Btw, would Donegal folk object to their being described as "northern Irish"?

I'm from the West of Ireland. I think I'd be getting some strange looks if I was in someone else's country defining my nationality as Western Irish if most of Connacht was under British rule and I was an Irish Unionist like yourself. 
If you're from the Wesht, then you should be used to getting strange looks - and that's even before they learn you're also a Man Utd fan! LOL

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:27pm
said it once and ill say it again, it is literally mind boggling that someone would spend this much time and effort on a forum of a team they dont support getting so granular into these arguments, its just incredibly pathetic in my opinion! frankly its sad, i honestly cant imagine doing this for years on end

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:33pm
I wouldn't mind having a go on OWC tbf, but unfortunately, they don't let Taigs in! LOL

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:34pm

NI born Citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland can choose British or Irish nationality.  

Or both.

Yep, and if you see them sans England shirt, you can still recognise them by the fact their penis is on their forehead, not their groin. Billy Hutchinson was/is one notable example, most prominently at the time of that game in 2005.

That said, like eg a white (i.e. albino) blackbird, their novelty value meant they got far more attention than their numbers deserved.  And I suspect that with the NI team being pretty crap at the same time as England being OK (just), it was a bit like people choosing to support eg Liverpool, Leeds or Man United because they were the most successful team of the moment, rather than because they had some particular connection. (As a Spurs fan, no-one can accuse me of Glory Hunting!).

Anyhow, from what I can see, they're pretty much an endangered species these days, possibly because everytime they go to reproduce, it's not only the women who get a headache Wink

Yep.

Yep again, a process made easier in football terms during the period when ROI were going great guns and NI were crap.

(I say made "easier", since I imagine that wasn't the only, or even the predominant, factor)

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

said it once and ill say it again, it is literally mind boggling that someone would spend this much time and effort on a forum of a team they dont support getting so granular into these arguments, its just incredibly pathetic in my opinion! frankly its sad, i honestly cant imagine doing this for years on end

+1

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:39pm

Mind boggling doesn't even begin to cover it. Same points repeated ad nauseum. Countless threads. 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:40pm
+2

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:55pm
Lads FFS it's Black '47 outside...the testing kits have gone missing.

Can we not all break bread??

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

+1

Taking over for Hans Wink exact same type of dumbf**kery

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 5:36pm

Always surprised to see hardened Unionists (DUP,TUV or Orangeman) seem to be happy enough to come down and support the Irish rugby team in LR.
That's because until recently at least, rugby in Ireland was seen as a cultural and social, even class, matter, with little or none of the political baggage which infected so much of the rest of Irish life. It was helped too by the fact that Ulster/NI was for long a (the?) powerhouse of the game within Ireland.

And you shouldn't imagine that such people represent a majority of the Unionist population. When you count the numbers of Unionists who don't vote for the DUP, or don't vote at all, they outnumber those who do. And even for those who do vote DUP, many do so solely in order to keep "Themmuns" out, rather than because they're Bible-bashing, anti-gay bigots etc. (It's like not assuming that every SF voter is a Provo-loving terrorist sympathiser, even if the candidates who receive their vote may be)

Meanwhile, the TUV only receives a pitiful vote these days, which I predict will disappear entirely when Allister snuffs it.

As for the OO, no-one knows for certain how many members it has, since they don't publish the figures (curiously enough), but reliable estimates suggest that it is now down to fewer than 25k, which as a percentage of the PUL community of 1m, represents 2-3% at most.

And all of that is before you consider the make-up of northern rugby fans themselves. For rugby itself is very much a minority activity in NI, confined mostly to middle class, grammar school types from affluent areas East of the Bann.

All of which means that your observation, even if accurate, isn't very representative of very much at all.

Like a lot of your comments on NI, as it happens.

I think you mean the "Irish Republic", rather than "Ireland", which confusion actually goes to the heart of the matter.

For when rugby fans from NI looked on their game, they always saw it purely in sporting, social and cultural terms. Therefore they could happily park their personal political preferences for 80 minutes at Lansdowne and get behind their team.

But I use the past tense, because many are increasingly uneasy with what they see as the growing process whereby the "Ireland" (i.e. island) team is now just becoming the "ROI team with a couple of added Prods".

This was brought sharply into focus when LR was closed and Ireland decided to play Italy at Ravenhill a few years back, thus raising the thorny issue of the anthem.

Traditionally, when the team played home games in Dublin, the SS was always played, but when playing at home in Belfast, it was supposed to be GSTQ. Sometime in the 50's, however, some Southern players refused to come out of the dressing room until GSTQ was over as a protest. However the IRFU was able to duck the issue since they stopped playing at Ravenhill around then anyhow, meaning the fiction of "2 anthems in 2 jurisdictions" could be maintained.

Then the Italy match unexpectedly arose. Now this should have been the ideal pretext for doing away with all political anthems entirely and  in future simply sticking with a neutral tune to which all could adhere, Ireland's Call being the obvious choice.

But no, by a feat of contortion to do a gymnast proud, they decided that this was being played "outside Ireland" [sic]], meaning the protocol for away games would be followed. And that protocol demands (surprise surprise) that only Ireland's Call be played!

For a number of rugby fans in NI, that proved to be the last straw and they stopped following the team as before. Meanwhile for others, traditional allegiances and friendships still prevail, and/or their love for the game means that they don't want to be left completely without any international team to follow, so they just grin and bear it. Either way, many are unhappy.

Moreover, those few Ulster players who do now get picked for the team are unable to repeat the earlier protest by the men of Munster and Leinster, since the game is now professional. Which means they'd be putting their livelihood on the line, rather  than just having 3 or 4 extra Saturdays free to attend to the farm etc.

Meaning that the IRFU now clearly doesn't give a fcuk. Worse still, it doesn't see why it should have to so long as LR is filled every game, which it is.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:07pm
Here you go Terence - https://forum.ybig.ie/the-new-mental-health-thread_topic56606_page14.html" rel="nofollow - here

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: JohnSwift
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:16pm

That's because until recently at least, rugby in Ireland was seen as a cultural and social, even class, matter, with little or none of the political baggage which infected so much of the rest of Irish life. It was helped too by the fact that Ulster/NI was for long a (the?) powerhouse of the game within Ireland.

And you shouldn't imagine that such people represent a majority of the Unionist population. When you count the numbers of Unionists who don't vote for the DUP, or don't vote at all, they outnumber those who do. And even for those who do vote DUP, many do so solely in order to keep "Themmuns" out, rather than because they're Bible-bashing, anti-gay bigots etc. (It's like not assuming that every SF voter is a Provo-loving terrorist sympathiser, even if the candidates who receive their vote may be)

Meanwhile, the TUV only receives a pitiful vote these days, which I predict will disappear entirely when Allister snuffs it.

As for the OO, no-one knows for certain how many members it has, since they don't publish the figures (curiously enough), but reliable estimates suggest that it is now down to fewer than 25k, which as a percentage of the PUL community of 1m, represents 2-3% at most.

And all of that is before you consider the make-up of northern rugby fans themselves. For rugby itself is very much a minority activity in NI, confined mostly to middle class, grammar school types from affluent areas East of the Bann.

All of which means that your observation, even if accurate, isn't very representative of very much at all.

Like a lot of your comments on NI, as it happens.

I think you mean the "Irish Republic", rather than "Ireland", which confusion actually goes to the heart of the matter.

For when rugby fans from NI looked on their game, they always saw it purely in sporting, social and cultural terms. Therefore they could happily park their personal political preferences for 80 minutes at Lansdowne and get behind their team.

But I use the past tense, because many are increasingly uneasy with what they see as the growing process whereby the "Ireland" (i.e. island) team is now just becoming the "ROI team with a couple of added Prods".

This was brought sharply into focus when LR was closed and Ireland decided to play Italy at Ravenhill a few years back, thus raising the thorny issue of the anthem.

Traditionally, when the team played home games in Dublin, the SS was always played, but when playing at home in Belfast, it was supposed to be GSTQ. Sometime in the 50's, however, some Southern players refused to come out of the dressing room until GSTQ was over as a protest. However the IRFU was able to duck the issue since they stopped playing at Ravenhill around then anyhow, meaning the fiction of "2 anthems in 2 jurisdictions" could be maintained.

Then the Italy match unexpectedly arose. Now this should have been the ideal pretext for doing away with all political anthems entirely and  in future simply sticking with a neutral tune to which all could adhere, Ireland's Call being the obvious choice.

But no, by a feat of contortion to do a gymnast proud, they decided that this was being played "outside Ireland" [sic]], meaning the protocol for away games would be followed. And that protocol demands (surprise surprise) that only Ireland's Call be played!

For a number of rugby fans in NI, that proved to be the last straw and they stopped following the team as before. Meanwhile for others, traditional allegiances and friendships still prevail, and/or their love for the game means that they don't want to be left completely without any international team to follow, so they just grin and bear it. Either way, many are unhappy.

Moreover, those few Ulster players who do now get picked for the team are unable to repeat the earlier protest by the men of Munster and Leinster, since the game is now professional. Which means they'd be putting their livelihood on the line, rather  than just having 3 or 4 extra Saturdays free to attend to the farm etc.

Meaning that the IRFU now clearly doesn't give a fcuk. Worse still, it doesn't see why it should have to so long as LR is filled every game, which it is.

You’re suggesting that three or four Ulster players have an issue with the Irish anthem, but put up with it to benefit their careers. That’s just pure speculation on your part. Indeed, recent comments from Rory Best and his autobiography suggest otherwise. He actually spoke about how much he enjoyed the anthem.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:21pm
Okay Terri, at Ravenhill against Italy, what were they supposed to do?

Posted By: cardwizzard
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:21pm

This.. Its that bad I and others I suspect, just skip past his drivel. 

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I can't think of any Loyalist, no matter how extreme, that would support England over NI. Loyalists are a funny bunch, it's often been remarked how despite their superficial dedication to Britishness, their actual commitment to the British state and it's rules is rather flimsy. Really, their "Loyalty" is more rooted in Royalism and Protestantism, both of which are embodied more fully by NI's support base than England's.

I’m aware of quite a few who would support England over the North, one person in my work for example would never wear anything green.

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

This.. Its that bad I and others I suspect, just skip past his drivel. 

Having territorial on this forum shouldn't be a point of contention, I dont care much for his political commentary or views on 'what is ireland'

However, let's not live in an echo chamber where we just look to agree with each other, some of his posts can be an interesting perspective from the point of view other may not have considered. 

For me @Territorial, I appreciate your contributing efforts to this forum even if I disagree with them.

Saying that territorial - posts are a bit wordy sometimes... it's a football forum, we're not defining the rights of man.. LOL

Posted By: Jackal
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:42pm

No one denies N.I. exists. It's a statelet/part of the British state of the United Kingdom just as the rest of our country (Ireland) and India etc etc was previously part of the British state. India was still India, it's own country and nation just as Ireland was and is to this day.  

If the UK countries applied to join UEFA nowadays then they wouldn't be left in. It's why Jersey was refused. UEFA now only let's real countries join. 

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:43pm
I agree about having fans of the north on here, there was one called Floreat Ultonia who was great, but Terri is a twat. I think it has to be a Sir Alex type stunt. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:26pm

It seems most if our disagreement or misunderstanding stems from terminology and language, even semantics. Agree

Either way I don't care - coming from Northern Ireland I am able to enjoy the benefits of both Britishness and Irishness, with the added bonus of having my own wee football team to support.

Moreover, there will be no change to any of that unless/until a majority of my fellow Northern Irish folk so will it - and I don't see that changing in my lifetime:

I'm not sure I quite follow. But if your scenario meant that I was now a citizen of the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Eastern Ireland", then I guess I'd be happy to describe myself as "Eastern Irish" - at least if I could still have an "Eastern Ireland" football team to support! Fair enough. 

Btw, would Donegal folk object to their being described as "northern Irish"?  They certainly would unless they're from Rossnawlagh. LOL

If you're from the Wesht, then you should be used to getting strange looks - and that's even before they learn you're also a Man Utd fan!  

Anyway we'll go back to topic. 

-------------

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

If the UK countries applied to join UEFA nowadays then they wouldn't be left in. It's why Jersey was refused. UEFA now only let's real countries join. 

Gibraltar? 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: Jackal
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Gibraltar? 
It was passed after them. The rule now is like Pointless, they have to be a UN member. The ones that got anyway with it were the UK countries, Gibraltar, Kosovo and the Faroes. Greenland now has to apply to join the North American group. I don't think Jersey really wanted an international team but wanted their league to be part of the Champions League qualifiers.

http://https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43183023" rel="nofollow - http://https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43183023

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net