Syndrome Ireland & Athletics Ireland 

Replies:
Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Gary Owens appointed. Former interim CEO of Down
Syndrome Ireland & Athletics Ireland 

Let's do the time warp again.... 

https://www.independent.ie/sport/athletics-under-pressure-aai-appoint-owens-ceo-25983641.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.independent.ie/sport/athletics-under-pressure-aai-appoint-owens-ceo-25983641.html

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:09pm
Niall Quinn to become Deputy Chief Executive according to Tony O'Donoghue 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:11pm
Seems good to have him involved.

Is that voluntary?

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:15pm
Confirmed now by the FAI

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:20pm
Great news Clap

-------------
Here we go again

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:26pm
Remit is the LOI and domestic game supposedly 

-------------

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

His manifesto left a good bit to be desired, to say the very least. Still, a CEO that views the league as a priority rather than an adversary can only be a good thing....

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: ontheball
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:57pm
Excellent news, Barrett and Owens to bring financial stability, Quinn the public face.

Posted By: KING-CON
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

His manifesto left a good bit to be desired, to say the very least. Still, a CEO that views the league as a priority rather than an adversary can only be a good thing....

Is his manifesto online anywhere? 

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 6:10pm
Excellent that Niall is involved. He's a charismatic man and intelligent and articulate.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 6:23pm
Quinn is an intelligent man, but he also is a proponent of naturalizing and capping Brazilians a la Qatar and Saudi Arabia as a matter of policy. I am not a fan of that approach.

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 6:24pm
A well intentioned spoofer was the general consensus after his meetings with LOI clubs re the all-island league

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 6:28pm

Niall Quinn to become Deputy Chief Executive according to Tony O'Donoghue 

Of what?

Who will be junior vice president?

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 6:31pm
https://twitter.com/jobrien_sf/status/1220402868102017024?s=21" rel="nofollow -  https://twitter.com/jobrien_sf/status/1220402868102017024?s=21

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 6:33pm

A well intentioned spoofer was the general consensus after his meetings with LOI clubs re the all-island league
It is a very odd one alright! The man to save the LOI seems to have little knowledge of it, or even of similar. 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 7:37pm
A mother Theresa figure , a yes man

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 7:41pm
Lads, he has actual administration experience running a Premier League football club. He's a massive upgrade on what's been there before

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Lads, he has actual administration experience running a Premier League football club. He's a massive upgrade on what's been there before
Sorry, I forgot he ran an EPL club! Wonderful appointment in that case.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 7:55pm

You only have to listen to him to realise he is very intelligent. A spoofer would be someone of limited ability trying to pass himself off as a genius.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 7:56pm
Very happy with him on board 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Jebediah Springfield
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:05pm
whatever anyone thinks he’s a MASSIVE upgrade. As everyone mentioned, he’s a smart guy, very amicable - this is politics after all. 

But most important of all for me - his heart is in it and he genuinely wants what’s best for Irish football. Not a crooked, self-obsessed, slimy C U next Tuesday. 

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

You only have to listen to him to realise he is very intelligent. A spoofer would be someone of limited ability trying to pass himself off as a genius.
This.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Sorry, I forgot he ran an EPL club! Wonderful appointment in that case.

He has administrative experience at the very highest level of professional in Europe. Not to many Irishmen around that have that

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It is a very odd one alright! The man to save the LOI seems to have little knowledge of it, or even of similar. 

These two things may be, but where we're at now, a well-intentioned spoofer would be an incredible upgrade on what we had previously.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

So his intentions mightn’t be as clean as once thought 

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:06pm
And also why do we need a permanent Deputy CEO but an interim CEO? 

And this made up role will be well paid  https://twitter.com/paulohehir/status/1220431585788538882?s=21" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/paulohehir/status/1220431585788538882?s=21

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:11pm

As a opposed to the self serving spoofers we've had before. It's surely an upgrade. Wish them well. 

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:12pm
https://static.rasset.ie/documents/sport/2019/05/fai-review-and-analysis-of-football-in-ireland-final.pdf" rel="nofollow -  https://static.rasset.ie/documents/sport/2019/05/fai-review-and-analysis-of-football-in-ireland-final.pdf

2/3 authors of this are now in charge of Irish football

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

As a opposed to the self serving spoofers we've had before. It's surely an upgrade. Wish them well. 
I’m not dead set against him, just a lot of this doesn’t really sit well. Of course I wish him well for the good of Irish football but it just raises a lot of questions for me. 

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:20pm
Delaney didn't set the bar very high here. Quinn can only be an improvement 

Posted By: Didiseyebrows
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:29pm

Quinn said he has deferred his payment until they see how redundancies are sorted out. 

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

+1

-------------

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:08pm
Would cautiously welcome his appointment, he could hardly be as bad as what preceded him even if he tried. Ya, serious questions over what the exact intentions around the LOI are, I suppose he'll be given the time to answer those and we can judge then. 

On the plus side, he's probably an acceptable public face as regards dealing with politicians, sponsors, corporate types etc, as well as the UEFA/FIFA big wigs, some of whom are ex-players themselves. Seeing as we will likely be in debt to UEFA, the Government, and corporate banking types for a good while to come, this might not be a bad thing. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:12pm
Quinn: Has worked in football administration, and has business experience outside of football.
Roy Keane called him Mother Teresa. Terrible appointment.

The logic of some people is so bad it's comical.

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Quinn: Has worked in football administration, and has business experience outside of football.

Who mentioned Roy? 

Is it not right to question an appointment to a never before existing position to a man on the payroll of a company rolling out international football academies? 

Alternatively the logic JD was bad so Quinn will be good is so bad it’s comical. 

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:34pm

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Who mentioned Roy? 

Is it not right to question an appointment to a never before existing position to a man on the payroll of a company rolling out international football academies? 

Alternatively the logic JD was bad so Quinn will be good is so bad it’s comical. 
Jonathan O'Brien made the reference on twitter for starters.

I think Quinn is deferring any payments for now so not sure what the issue is there. 

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:15am

And also why do we need a permanent Deputy CEO but an interim CEO? 

And this made up role will be well paid  https://twitter.com/paulohehir/status/1220431585788538882?s=21" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/paulohehir/status/1220431585788538882?s=21

It's an interim role?

-------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:19am
Its like Del Boy inventing job titles for Rodney.  You will be my director of commercial development.  and we will streamline the FAI by expansion.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:28am
I thought that sarah o shea was the first deputy CEO back in 2014.  She then was involved in reform of OFI along with Sarah Keane and I believe Peter Sherrard is now the ceo there 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:37am
Any room for Brian Kerr?

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:40am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Any room for Brian Kerr?

First thing I thought of when I heard about Quinn. Wouldn't surprise me if Quinn tries to get him on board especially given what his remit is

-------------

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 10:50am

Any room for Brian Kerr?

Good shout he would be a welcome addition.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: The GerK
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I thought that sarah o shea was the first deputy CEO back in 2014.  She then was involved in reform of OFI along with Sarah Keane and I believe Peter Sherrard is now the ceo there 

Correct, it's not a new role.
This appointment, as mentioned, will appease Government and sponsors and that is absolutely key right now.
There is a lot of begrudgery out there and while time will tell if it's a success, it's certainly worth the risk.

Posted By: Twoinarow
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 12:30pm
Niall Quinn is involved in the Visionary Group, which is linked to Redstrike marketing agency who are involved with underage football around the globe.

Quinn will tell you he's doing this for his love of Irish football.

-------------
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

Niall Quinn is involved in the Visionary Group, which is linked to Redstrike marketing agency who are involved with underage football around the globe.

Maybe the world isn't so binary and he's doing it for the love of Irish football and for business reasons.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 12:41pm

What is that link? 

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 12:57pm

Mike Farnan is their main man.

I was sat in a hotel in Zagreb and he heard my Irish accent and approached me. He was in Zagreb promoting Vietnamese soccer Confused

Originally from Artane but has the Oirish accent going on. Nice guy. 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 1:16pm

Mike Farnan is their main man.

I was sat in a hotel in Zagreb and he heard my Irish accent and approached me. He was in Zagreb promoting Vietnamese soccer Confused

Originally from Artane but has the Oirish accent going on. Nice guy. 

Kerr was involved as well and everyone is clamouring for him to get back on board.

What real world options do those who have an issue with this believe are out there at the moment? Nobody wanted to touch this with a bargepole. 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 1:24pm
I don’t necessarily have a problem with it, I’m just not as delighted as everyone else seems to be with this appointment, and surprised so many on here don’t seem interested in what he’s been doing with Red Strike & the Visionary group he was involved with in 2018. 
The link I posted earlier to the visionary groups document is well worth a read. 

Posted By: theworm2345
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 1:35pm
I'm generally of a fan of Niall Quinn's and I think he might do OK, but I have to roll my eyes when I hear him say things like 'we need more women in executive positions in the FAI'...no, you need more competent people in executive positions at the FAI, regardless of whether or not they have a cock.  Get the best people in, fix the FAI, then you can worry about this progressive nonsense.

-------------
http://www.globalsportsarchive.com/competitions/soccer/" rel="nofollow - League of Ireland archive with reports back to 91/92 (goalscorers for First Division) now online, plus Twitter: twitter.com/StattoLOI

Posted By: The GerK
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 1:38pm

I don’t necessarily have a problem with it, I’m just not as delighted as everyone else seems to be with this appointment, and surprised so many on here don’t seem interested in what he’s been doing with Red Strike & the Visionary group he was involved with in 2018. 
The link I posted earlier to the visionary groups document is well worth a read. 

Will read more on this but everyone had business interests.
I would fall short of being delighted about this, but I do see it as a positive step.

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 10:09pm
What happened to Rea Walshe? Has she jumped ship?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net