Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Subject: 2019 Rugby World Cup
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 8:51am
2019 Rugby World Cup

-------------

Replies:
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 8:55am
Starts next Friday with the hosts Japan v Russia.

Huge games on Sat morning:
Argentina v France at 8.15
All Blacks v South Africa in later 10.45

Ireland play Scotland on Sunday morning.

Predictions:
Winner -  All Blacks
How will Ireland do  -  1/4 finals again losing to South Africa 
Surprise package -  I think Wales will get to the 1/2 finals

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 9:04am
Would Wales getting to the semis be a surprise? They are fifth favourites and are more than capable of beating Australia or England.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 9:15am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Would Wales getting to the semis be a surprise? They are fifth favourites and are more than capable of beating Australia or England.

They're odds on to make the semis 

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 9:26am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

They're odds on to make the semis 

Agree, It was the best I could come up with! 
I don’t think we’ll see any major upsets like Japan beating the Saffa’s last time.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 9:31am
Nobody saw it coming then either, which is why it was such a genuine shock! 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 11:45am
South africa for me, ireland out in  qtr finals..

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

South africa for me, ireland out in  qtr finals..

Our group is the best but we have the worst possible 1/4 opponents. The 2 teams most likely to win it.

The other half is very open. Any of the 5 big teams could make the 1/2 finals. 

-------------

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 2:53pm
Hard to see beyond the QFs. But at least we can see that this time. Recently we could look beyond the QF, especially if we topped the group, but this is a good focus.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 4:02pm
Bit of a joke when you can predict the 8 quarter finalists now  

Ireland 
Scotland
NZ
S Africa
Australia
Wales
England
France 

Only possibility is Argentina beating France maybe. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 4:05pm
cant wait for the world cup and it felt like an age since we started our cycle in the 2016 Six Nations and it been a very successful time for the team winning a grand slam, beating the all blacks twice and wins in Austrialia (Series win) and South Africa (1 win and narrow series loss) along with some successful AI wins against these nations and more. We havent hit the lights out in 2019 but seem to be improving just at the right time hopefully. I hate playing Scotland and think next weekends game is going to be tough and we have to be at our best. Always tough playing the hosts Japan who will be fired up and will be going into our game expectantly after hammering Russia in the opener. Russia should be no challenge for us but Samoa will have it challenges. Terrible to think if we do lose our first 2 games than the next 2 will mean sweet FA and be a sad end to Joes reign hopefully it wont come to that and we will be through to the QFs after the first 2 games. If we do make it to the QFs than its really a rock and a hard place situation when we will have to play one of South Africa (who are great form atm and could easily go all the way) or the All blacks (who are the all blacks and nothing needs to be siad), very very slim chance we could play Italy in the QFs but its doubtful. If the 2018 Ireland show up than this campaign could be very intersting and the country could go on a standstill. TIme will tell 

Think England and Wales are in good form and could go far, The Aussies and French are pretty hot and cold but they can improve fast at world cups and Scotland will be a challenge. Argentina have improved a lot and are known for impressing at world cups been torns in our side and getting to the semi finals

QFs
England  (Top Pool D) vs Australia (Runner up Pool C)
South Africa (top Pool B) vs Ireland (Runner up pool A Cry have a feeling Scotland will beat us)
Wales (Top Pool C) vs Argentina (Runner up pool D)
Scotland (Top Pool A) vs New Zealand (Runner up Pool B)

Semis 
England vs South Africa
Wales vs New Zealand

Final- South Africa vs New Zealand with South Africa winning 

please god im wrong and ireland make it to the final 

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 4:08pm
Argentina/Scotland double next weekend  is around 8/1. 

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 4:19pm
Henshaw potential out. Massive blow if that is the case

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 4:40pm
Ah we have good cover at centre. Aki ringrose farrell conway if needed and im sure a replacement will be called in. Wont be a huge disruption i dont think.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 11:56am
https://www.thejournal.ie/typhoons-rugby-world-cup-4804605-Sep2019/" rel="nofollow - https://www.thejournal.ie/typhoons-rugby-world-cup-4804605-Sep2019/

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

2019 Rugby World Cup

That selling out of the tricolour (and Amhrán na bhFiann) to appease Unionists Angry

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 2:15pm
It’s not to appease anybody! That’s our flag in rugby, it’s hardly the end of the world. If you want a UI you will have to get used to not having a tricolour.

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 2:29pm
They'd want to be playing the theme tune to Rose of Tralee instead of that other tripe....

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 2:31pm
Is football the only sport drawn up on partitionist lines?

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Doesn’t the GAA have an Ulster championship?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 2:34pm

Doesn’t the GAA have an Ulster championship?

Before becoming the All Ireland series, and Donegal/Cavan and Monaghan all play in Ulster.

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 2:34pm
LOL

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 3:01pm
Plenty of Northern Irish athletes, with no connection to Britain, have competed for the misnamed "Team GB" in the Olympics.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:36pm

It’s not to appease anybody! That’s our flag in rugby, it’s hardly the end of the world. If you want a UI you will have to get used to not having a tricolour.

Strange that no other country feels the need for a separate ‘rugby’ flag and anthem

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:55pm
The Heineken RWC ad, with Keith Wood in it. ''You don't have to understand it all, to enjoy it all'' it says at the end. 

They nearly got it right, although ''You don't have to understand any of it'' would probably alienate the true rugby fans to an extent. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Strange that no other country feels the need for a separate ‘rugby’ flag and anthem
A very partitionist attitude.

-------------

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 1:43am
Very surprised by articles I've read in the past few weeks. Every one of the Irish rugger journalists talking about Ireland needing to peak for that huge QF clash against NZ or SA. Now I wouldn't be backing the Scots to beat anyone as they are flakey as f*ck, but they have some good players and the potential to beat an Irish side with little to no form. If the Scots do it, there will be incredible pressure on Ireland against Japan and even a win in that one wouldn't guarantee top 2 (quite easily be a 3 way tie at the top of the group then). 

It's like the Irish rugby side haven't been here before! The talk about QF matches before playing a match. Setting themselves up for a fall. Japan as hosts will give this an almighty rattle. It's one of only 2 groups with 3 teams vying for 2 QF spots imo. I reckon the Japanese will make the QF.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:47am
I'm no Rugby expert but surely Ireland will beat Japan easily enough. Scotland are fairly sh*te also I'd say.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:52am
J
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I'm no Rugby expert but surely Ireland will beat Japan easily enough. Scotland are fairly sh*te also I'd say.
Scotland have a very good first fifteen, if a little unpredictable. Having them first was the worst possible time to get them. They will be fully fit and up for it. They also have little to lose, unless they get yanked. However, it seems the weather out there will be less suited to their entertaining approach. They have been the most entertaining team to watch over the past few years.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 10:20am

Well that's a very appeaser attitude.

The only other example I can think of where a country has a different flag for sport is Taiwan, who are called Chinese Taipei in order not to upset China.  Hardly a positive example

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 10:26am

The only other example I can think of where a country has a different flag for sport is Taiwan, who are called Chinese Taipei in order not to upset China.  Hardly a positive example

Ireland is split in two, you might not like that and I can understand it, but telling people how they should be represented is part of the problem. You either try and empathise with the community that doesn’t share your outlook or accept the status quo. 

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 10:31am

I struggle to be lectured by somebody on a forum dedicated to a sport which is inherently partitionist. One might say the rugby community are well ahead of soccer in terms of the goal of a United Ireland.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 11:12am

They're different countries.

The tricolour represents 26 counties.
The Northern Ireland flag represents 6 counties.
Ireland Rugby Flag represents 26 counties plus 6 counties.

Surely "newrynyuk" can understand that. Wink

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 11:21am
On behalf of the moderators of YBIG I have been instructed to deliver the following good luck message to the EIRE Rugby Team:

''YBIG and all its contributors and kin would like to express our deepest wishes of fortune to the EIRE Rugby Team at the World Cup.  We may not be at the stadiums to cheer you on but are with you in spirit and our support strong as anyone in Japan.  Bring it home guys!''

Signed:  Lord Trap Junior Esquire IV (Founder of YBIG)       Deise 'Dessie' 316 (Moderator and rugby journalist)

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Very surprised by articles I've read in the past few weeks. Every one of the Irish rugger journalists talking about Ireland needing to peak for that huge QF clash against NZ or SA. Now I wouldn't be backing the Scots to beat anyone as they are flakey as f*ck, but they have some good players and the potential to beat an Irish side with little to no form. If the Scots do it, there will be incredible pressure on Ireland against Japan and even a win in that one wouldn't guarantee top 2 (quite easily be a 3 way tie at the top of the group then). 

It's like the Irish rugby side haven't been here before! The talk about QF matches before playing a match. Setting themselves up for a fall. Japan as hosts will give this an almighty rattle. It's one of only 2 groups with 3 teams vying for 2 QF spots imo. I reckon the Japanese will make the QF.

The problem for Scotland is their pack - they have some exciting backs alright but if Ireland starve them of possession up front, as they have done successfully on many an occasion already under Schmidt, then it's not a whole lot of use to them. Like many of Ireland's games it won't be particularly aesthetically pleasing, but they should have too much for them upfront.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 2:17pm

I struggle to be lectured by somebody on a forum dedicated to a sport which is inherently partitionist. One might say the rugby community are well ahead of soccer in terms of the goal of a United Ireland.

Okay then.  Who here thinks dropping the tricolour for a flag and Amhrán na bhFiann for a national anthem is a price worth paying for a united Ireland soccer team?

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 2:23pm

I struggle to be lectured by somebody on a forum dedicated to a sport which is inherently partitionist. One might say the rugby community are well ahead of soccer in terms of the goal of a United Ireland.

Okay then.  Who here thinks dropping the tricolour for a flag and Amhrán na bhFiann for a national anthem is a price worth paying for a united Ireland soccer team?

What symbolises a UI May change when the time comes. In reverse, would you reject a UI if the symbols didn’t come with it?

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 2:36pm

I would. I'm attached to both but not so much that I would reject a united team over it. I'd rather a united team under the IFA too.

I'd give them up in a heart beat if it politically meant a United Ireland. As I say I am attached to both but ultimately it's a bit of cloth and a song.

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

The problem for Scotland is their pack - they have some exciting backs alright but if Ireland starve them of possession up front, as they have done successfully on many an occasion already under Schmidt, then it's not a whole lot of use to them. Like many of Ireland's games it won't be particularly aesthetically pleasing, but they should have too much for them upfront.

I agree and I think Ireland will try the same against the Japanese. Absolutely bludgeon them up front. 

I just think this mindset of talking about the QF tie is silly. Lose to Scotland and it's very much up the air what will happen in the group.

Imo I think the Japanese will beat Scotland in their last group game to qualify. They are being dismissed way too easily. Especially as hosts.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 2:50pm

I agree and I think Ireland will try the same against the Japanese. Absolutely bludgeon them up front. 

I just think this mindset of talking about the QF tie is silly. Lose to Scotland and it's very much up the air what will happen in the group.

Imo I think the Japanese will beat Scotland in their last group game to qualify. They are being dismissed way too easily. Especially as hosts.

Hosting is not as game changing as it is at the football World Cup. Hosts and joint hosts have fallen at the first hurdle before.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 2:51pm
The risk is that the Scotland game is called off by bad weather and we effectively have to score more than the Scots over the remaining games. That's a far bigger crap shoot.

-------------

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 2:55pm
The dirge anthem and tainted flag can go immediately. Unite Ireland team and country all the way.

Expecting unionists to play a sport or start a new era in a reunited country under ROI symbols and tunes is unrealistic.

It will be give and take.Northern unionists will probably be able to retain their British nationality for a few generations.There's some chance the reunited Ireland would be in the commonwealth etc.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 5:13pm
Leo Thatcher and the rest of his cronies are more British then the DUP, whilst some are actively working on re-joining the Commonwealth.

FG will never call or support a border poll. Never. If and I mean a big IF they do call one, they will make it completely unacceptable to the Southern electorate.

Michael Martin is another anti Republican partitionist.

Each one of them will happily kick that can down the road.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 7:04pm
I can't see us losing to Japan tbh.

In terms of the Scotland game I think our approach to that game will depend on the game the day before. 

If NZ win then we'll be wanting to win to avoid them, as you'd expect we'd rather play South Africa over them. (even if SA top the group) 

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 7:31pm
Ireland shouldn’t give a f**k about the other group, if they are thinking like that, and it wouldn’t surprise me at all, then we may well go out in the groups. 

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 8:41pm
Only on YBIG does a thread about the rugby WC descend into posts about border polls, anthems, flegs, and a UI Clap

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 8:51pm
How long have Guinness owned rugby?

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 8:54pm
Flag should be green, white and orange with a miniature union Jack over the green. That should appease everyone? Big smile

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 8:56pm

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:04pm
Half Ireland flag, half Union Jack with a big love heart in the middle

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Only on YBIG does a thread about the rugby WC descend into posts about border polls, anthems, flegs, and a UI Clap

My thoughts exactly. 

To add to the argument I think they should just get a kid from each county to make a flag and then have a referendum to choose the best one. 

In terms of the anthem we can have a voice /x factor type show, Dana, Louis Walsh, Linda Martin and Brian Kennedy can be the judges

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

My thoughts exactly. 

To add to the argument I think they should just get a kid from each county to make a flag and then have a referendum to choose the best one. 

In terms of the anthem we can have a voice /x factor type show, Dana, Louis Walsh, Linda Martin and Brian Kennedy can be the judges
Shocked no Johnny Logan 

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

How long have Guinness owned rugby?
Since 1759

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:12pm
Just as long as Phil Coulter isn't involved.Ouch

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Just as long as Phil Coulter isn't involved.Ouch

He'll be a contestant

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 10:22am
To be honest, for me a different flag and anthem is not a deal breaker for a united Ireland.  But jeez, can we not have a better united national anthem than Ireland's Call?  From various fora I can see I'm clearly not the only one who hates it.  The lyrics make Ireland sound like not so much a country but a mobile phone or a telemarketing firm.

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 11:44am

To be honest, for me a different flag and anthem is not a deal breaker for a united Ireland.  But jeez, can we not have a better united national anthem than Ireland's Call?  From various fora I can see I'm clearly not the only one who hates it.  The lyrics make Ireland sound like not so much a country but a mobile phone or a telemarketing firm.
Is that not what the rugby team is?#teamofus

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 12:15pm

This craic about the Welsh attack coach is nuts. Allegedly betting on what the first score would be in their games - i.e forward/back/penalty/try etc and then trying to come up with the likeliest moves to make such occurrences happen. Wales could be a total shambles at this RWC.

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 11:42pm

This craic about the Welsh attack coach is nuts. Allegedly betting on what the first score would be in their games - i.e forward/back/penalty/try etc and then trying to come up with the likeliest moves to make such occurrences happen. Wales could be a total shambles at this RWC.

Where did you read the report about the types of bets he was placing?

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 9:38am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Was a screenshot of a Whatsapp message I was sent on - which is why I said 'allegedly' as I'm not sure of the source of it. If ultimately found to be true though that is proper mental.

There was other allegations including him placing a 6k bet on England to win the tournament and also a bet on Welsh scrumhalf Rhys Webb not going to the RWC.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 6:40pm

Was a screenshot of a Whatsapp message I was sent on - which is why I said 'allegedly' as I'm not sure of the source of it. If ultimately found to be true though that is proper mental.

There was other allegations including him placing a 6k bet on England to win the tournament and also a bet on Welsh scrumhalf Rhys Webb not going to the RWC.
Was just chatting to my brothers father in law today, Welsh Rugby referee and he said the same as above although three seems to be a large chunk of their support who wanted him gone anyway 

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 12:42pm
Russia held their own in that first half.

Japan playing their normal game which is speedy and highly intense. However, they are only leading by five and trailed for most of the half. Their handling has been woeful and a similar performance against us and the Scots won’t work.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 1:52pm

Russia held their own in that first half.

Japan playing their normal game which is speedy and highly intense. However, they are only leading by five and trailed for most of the half. Their handling has been woeful and a similar performance against us and the Scots won’t work.

Caught the end of the game (last 15 minutes)

Agree neither of these are going to cause ourselves or Scotland much bother. 

Both pretty much just speed merchants but as soon as any tackle is made they've been dropped.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 1:59pm
I feel Japan will wilt under our pressure style of game. It’s something that other countries could play around, but not Japan. I just felt they looked technically weak, and generally made hard work of breaking down a team that had fairly poor pre-World Cup results.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 2:13pm
I always felt Japan’s best hope of a shock is against Scotland. It could be one of the most entertaining games to watch as both teams will want to play running rugby. Ireland will bludgeon Japan.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 9:03am
Argentina haven’t got started st all. France look far more composed and could be up by more than 17.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 9:23am
Why do Argentina keep kicking it to France? Crazy tactics!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 9:30am

Why do Argentina keep kicking it to France? Crazy tactics!

They are managed by martín del neillrio?

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 9:37am

Argentina haven’t got started st all. France look far more composed and could be up by more than 17.

Strong 2nd half from Argentina 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Strong 2nd half from Argentina 

Very good. They’ve messed up two nice chances too. It’s as though they realised they were at a World Cup at half time.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:03am
Great game, French blessed at the end they were woeful in 2nd half 

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:05am

Great game, French blessed at the end they were woeful in 2nd half 

A real classic. 

Technically suspect, but brilliant for the spectators. France could have closed out the game but had to rely on mere inches to save them.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:18am
Looking forward to All blacks v saffas now

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:23am
If Ireland were in that group we'd be calling it the group of death with not that much between the three teams. No one is thinking there is any chance England could have any trouble in it.I suppose that's a sign how much England have improved in the last few months to be rated up at the same level as NZ and SA.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:33am
They are calling it the group of death though.

I'd imagine the English are taking it seriously though remember that they were favourites to walk their group in 2015 but were caught flat by the Welsh.

I'm not saying they will lose to France or Argentina but both of those are capable of turning on the style and causing a shock 

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:37am
Both France and Argentina have had bad years. England on the other hand have generally been impressive. As LIB has said, it is seen as the Group of Death, especially as Argentina always “show up” for World Cups, and France on a neutral venue will always be a tough proposition.

I expect Jones will have plenty to be positive over after today. As great as the game was to watch, similar performances would probably not be enough to beat England.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:44am
Strange crest South Africa have. Thought it would be the Springbok. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:50am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I think they’ve had it for some time now.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:51am

I'm relying on invictus for my knowledge of rugby LOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:53am

Springbok is on the sleeve 

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:55am

LOL

I’ve actually never seen it fully!

My abiding memory of the movie, was seeing it on a big screen in a pub in Kilburn a week before the 2015 World Cup started, and seeing the dramatised start of extra time commencing with an American football style “onside kick”.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:00am
South Africa showing exactly how to unsettle NZ

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:03am

Very physical so far. Some tired bodies in the 2nd half.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:10am

Weathering it though. 20 mins in and only 3 points in it.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:15am
Amazing try by the ABs

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:16am
All blacks showing exactly why they've won last 2 World Cups

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:18am
Brilliant 

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:19am

That’s remarkable. 20 mins of SA dominance worth 3, 7 minutes of NZ dominance, worth 17.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:23am

That’s remarkable. 20 mins of SA dominance worth 3, 7 minutes of NZ dominance, worth 17.

That first try was brilliant by NZ.
Harsh on SA after that great start.

The winner of this pool is due to meet the winners of Pool C.
Could be NZ v England 1/2 final.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:42am
Have to say reckon the all blacks won't win this tournament, poorest wc side since the 99 side, only for poor pass selection from the sa centres and their scrumhalf trying too hard they should be pretty comfortable 

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 12:35pm
The game turned on that penalty hitting the post, if that goes over there is every possibility that South Africa keep them penned in.

In saying that, New Zealand were far from their best today and have still beaten the second favourites with a short flurry. They are capable of doing that against anybody and that is why they will remain favourites.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 12:41pm
Didnt see the game. Could Ireland have any chance against either? 

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 12:42pm
I think that was a rather professional performance. Not at their best, but as PM says, a flurry made the difference. Only two penalties in the second half.

I’d be interested to know if that is SA at the top of their game. They were impressive in the first 20.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 12:43pm
Yep, as I said South Africa showed how to frustrate the all blacks in that first 20 minutes, albeit didn't take the advantage.

Two pieces of the attacking brilliance and the all blacks turn it around. 

Both of them would beat us 

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 12:44pm

First 20 mins for SA, no. 20-30 for the All Blacks, no. After that, yes. But that will be under different terms, especially as NZ and SA will qualify and the prize is either Ireland or Scotland, with the Scots probably a little more enticing. This was a bit of a free hit.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 12:48pm

No.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 1:11pm
I can see us beating new Zealand, our forwards are bulky enough too compete with them, if sexton reads the game well we could be in with a shout. His name hasn't being thrown about much but I think if ringrose has a good tournament we might be in with a shout against them. South Africa would out muscle us 1-13 and our back 3 against colbe and Co gives me nightmares. Sean obrien alluded to it 5-6 years ago we can't compete with the large physical sides. Give me the AB all day as perverse as that sounds

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 1:56pm
It's a joke some of the stuff the big nations get away with.

Obvious forward passes ignored but if the likes of Fiji knock on after they get it straight away. 

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

It's a joke some of the stuff the big nations get away with.

Obvious forward passes ignored but if the likes of Fiji knock on after they get it straight away. 
Australia should have had a red card and I felt Pocock should have been penalised for that one from the line-out early in the second half.
 New Zealand were excellent at pretending not to be offside, as usual. Garces missed loads, but it probably helped the spectacle.

-------------

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 3:31pm

No.

Course we do. Ireland wont fear s.africa and we can beat those on any given day. N.zealand a bit different. Still dont think we will beat them at a world cup but s.africa wont scare our players. We have beaten them regularly over the past few years.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net