Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57133
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 5:48pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tried and tested vs long term strategy
Posted By: Left foot
Subject: Tried and tested vs long term strategy
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 1:41pm
I've noticed that a lot of the comments on these threads centre around Irelands approach to games, we have very experienced internationals that you know exactly what to expect from but are probably past their best.

So how do ireland fans now want to approach opposition teams 

1. Risk adverse - tried and tested, use the experience the players have to our advantage, they are professional, less likely to make mistakes and if we want to qualify for the next tournament we have a much better chance with this approach 

2. Take more risks and change the strategy, short term it will may mean we are less likely to qualify for the next tournament but long term we will catch up with the rest of the footballing world. Play less negative football, develop  players faster and when we do qualify we will be better placed to compete.

Replies:
Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 1:43pm
Both. And that is possible. Next question!

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 3:08pm
Depends on the game. For the Swiss and Denmark games, option 1.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:14pm
Option 3:  Use the MON approach.  Turn up, have a quick 5 a side then hoof it for 90 mins to nobody in particular.  The less the ball spends on the ground the less chance of the opposition having it to kick it around and score goals.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: killer kilbane
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:17pm
Very true but hoofball could be attributed to a few of our ex managers 

-------------
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there

Posted By: AonSceal19
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 9:01pm
Approach 2 starts when Kenny takes over in my eyes. There should be no pressure on him to qualify for the 2022 World Cup. The long-term approach begins when Kenny takes over. With regards to Mick his sole objective is to qualify for Euro 2020 and I don't care how he achieves it to be honest  

-------------
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 9:29pm
No pressure to qualify for the wc ffs !

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I've noticed that a lot of the comments on these threads centre around Irelands approach to games, we have very experienced internationals that you know exactly what to expect from but are probably past their best.

So how do ireland fans now want to approach opposition teams 

1. Risk adverse - tried and tested, use the experience the players have to our advantage, they are professional, less likely to make mistakes and if we want to qualify for the next tournament we have a much better chance with this approach 

2. Take more risks and change the strategy, short term it will may mean we are less likely to qualify for the next tournament but long term we will catch up with the rest of the footballing world. Play less negative football, develop  players faster and when we do qualify we will be better placed to compete.
3. Take more risks and change the strategy, short term it will may mean we are less likely to qualify for the next tournament and long term we will stay exactly where we are the footballing world.

Posted By: AonSceal19
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

No pressure to qualify for the wc ffs !

Ireland are not a top 13 European side. The idea that Kenny should be expected to completely change the style of play and qualify for the 2022 World Cup is unrealistic. It's a long term appointment and we will be hoping that Ireland are a much stronger side when the 2026 World Cup qualifying comes around. I hope Kenny hits the ground running and qualifies for the 2022 World Cup but there shouldn't be any pressure on his job if we don't Unless we are getting hammered in every game then everyone should be patient.

-------------
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 10:01pm
sometimes on here it feels like people think we are bringing in Guardiola after Mick McCarthy leaves, it's just Stephen Kenny FFS, we will need a kind group draw to have any chance of making the next world Cup. 

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 10:31pm
Can you imagine the meltdown if Kenny doesn't pick ballon d'or nominee Crowley or decides to play Doherty instead of some other new flash in the pan sub who make the bench for Blackpool.

The reality is that he will be expected to finish as high as possible in the group for a number of reasons.

Every squad he picks will be analysed to death and every starting 11 he picks will be nit picked to death.

If he loses a game he'll be called a spoofer and his manager record will be questioned and his stints at Rovers and Dunfermine will be bought up as proof.

Any win and the expectations will go through the roof.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Can you imagine the meltdown if Kenny doesn't pick ballon d'or nominee Crowley or decides to play Doherty instead of some other new flash in the pan sub who make the bench for Blackpool.

The reality is that he will be expected to finish as high as possible in the group for a number of reasons.

Every squad he picks will be analysed to death and every starting 11 he picks will be nit picked to death.

If he loses a game he'll be called a spoofer and his manager record will be questioned and his stints at Rovers and Dunfermine will be bought up as proof.

Any win and the expectations will go through the roof.

I see you have played knifey-spoony before!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 8:10am
As said before once Kenny achieves a 1 in 5 ratio of successful qualifying campaigns, he should be lauded. So 2030 Australia here we come.

Outside of that he needs to work on his 'backside in bacon slicer' type gags. These are crucial. That is the kind of non football tactic that will keep media and fans on board no matter how horrid the sh*t show in front of them on the pitch is.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 8:14am
i think Kenny  should be put in charge of the whole underage set up for the next 8 years with a clear strategy to bring players through. 

making him manager will end in tears 

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 8:37am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

i think Kenny  should be put in charge of the whole underage set up for the next 8 years with a clear strategy to bring players through. 

I agree. There should be a huge push to keep McCarthy on. He is the greatest manager we've ever had. Would be mental of us to just discard him next year for some LOI bozo.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 9:43am
This is somewhat of a moot point- as the FAI prioritise the short term over any other developments. Get the money rolling in for the next tournament for another jolly up for the blazers, never mind anything else.

To be honest, i feel like that mentality is enabled by large sections of our support. If we are nowhere near qualification under Kenny, casual fans will be calling for his head - particularly as his credentials for the job were earned in League of Ireland. 

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 1:48pm

Have to agree with you there Milla

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 1:51pm
In terms of managing expectations I can see the philosophy of the ireland team will change under Kenny.

This process of change may very well be very painful at times for ireland fans. 

It's very likely going to take time and there will be mistakes along the way.

We've had so many years under experienced, defensive risk adverse managers like Trap and o'Neill and the thing that worries me the most is putting in place another manager of the same ilk

Ultimately I watch football to enjoy the game not just the result. 

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Have to agree with you there Milla
Very few management reigns end any other way.

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 3:18pm
I don’t know where people are getting that Stephen Kenny will change our playing style surely he will base it on the players at his disposal. The fai will be under severe financial strain after jd’s wrecking ball.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

I agree. There should be a huge push to keep McCarthy on. He is the greatest manager we've ever had. Would be mental of us to just discard him next year for some LOI bozo.

Thanks for the constructive engagement 

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 4:44pm

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Thanks for the constructive engagement 

I do me best.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net