Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 11:06pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Speeding
Posted By: daboi89
Subject: Speeding
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 10:36am
A rare post for me these days

Currently waiting in knock airport for a flight back to work London

Got stopped on the N4 outside Sligo town this morning.   Dual carriage way , one of the safest and straightest roads in the west .

Looked in my rear view at 9am this morning and there was a loan ban garda behind me (unmarked 161 white mondeo Estate) with blue lights blazing and head lights flashing like something out of f**king SKYs roadwars.

Pulled in and she comes to the window and says, licence please you were doing 130 in a 100 zone.

Handed her the licence and she f**ks off into the car. Comes back a few mins later and she says €80 fine and 3 points. I said no bother

"Can I have a copy of the gatso gun calibration certificate"

To which she leans in the window and says

"Is it 3 points or 6 points you want , slow down"

And f**ks off back to her car

Sligo Gardai

Replies:
Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:29am
You didnt finish the story. So did you get any fine or not? Did she back down when you asked for the calibration cert?

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:43am
I almost started laughing when she said about the 6 points . I didn't respond tho.

She didn't produce any calibration cert

Said I had 28 days to appeal as she left

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:45am
were you doing 130 in a 100 zone?

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

were you doing 130 in a 100 zone?

Yes Liam

I have admitted my speed in the first post . Although I have no idea what speed I was going on. Apparently handing my licence over when she asked for it is an admission of guilt .

I stayed silent throughout.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:07pm
This is the only line - that's her saying it - it's why I asked, as I presumed like others that maybe there was a doubt to the speeding

Pulled in and she comes to the window and says, licence please you were doing 130 in a 100 zone. 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:25pm
Point is, if you want to challenge the calibration, you'll need to go to court. You go to court, you don't get the benefit for paying the fixed charge notice and the lower number of points. It's automatically higher points if you go to court and lose.

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:25pm
I got my first ever penalty points in the post yesterday too.

129kmh in a 120km zone (M7 outside Portlaoise).

3 points and €80 fine.

I'm hearing it doesn't affect insurance etc until you get over 6, anyone any experience?

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:41pm
So that 10% leeway is a myth is it? 

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Point is, if you want to challenge the calibration, you'll need to go to court. You go to court, you don't get the benefit for paying the fixed charge notice and the lower number of points. It's automatically higher points if you go to court and lose.

She wasn't wearing a body camera

So there would be no record of me asking for a calibration cert . And it would be difficult to prove I asked for it and she handed me back my licence said I had 28 days to appeal when the letter comes and fuked off.

I'll just accept it . Bit what annoys me is the shooting fish in a barrel term.

It's 14km of new carriage way. Identical to motorway . With 2 roundabouts for 20km. Just sit With a radar gun and you'll have your quote in no time.

Then again I was over the limit. Which isn't too difficult on that particular stretch

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

3 points and €80 fine.

I'm hearing it doesn't affect insurance etc until you get over 6, anyone any experience?

That's a farce.    129km on a motorway

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by daboi89 daboi89 wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

She wasn't wearing a body camera

So there would be no record of me asking for a calibration cert . And it would be difficult to prove I asked for it and she handed me back my licence said I had 28 days to appeal when the letter comes and fuked off.

I'll just accept it . Bit what annoys me is the shooting fish in a barrel term.

It's 14km of new carriage way. Identical to motorway . With 2 roundabouts for 20km. Just sit With a radar gun and you'll have your quote in no time.

Then again I was over the limit. Which isn't too difficult on that particular stretch

Whether you did or didn't ask for a calibration cert is completely irrelevant. She has no obligation to give you the cert. When they might have an obligation is if you don't pay the fixed charge notice and it ends up in court and you specifically seek disclosure of it at that stage. That's a long way down the track.

It probably isn't relevant if you make an application to cancel the FCPN. What you can do is make that application anyway but I'd prepare to be disappointed:

https://www.garda.ie/en/Roads-Policing/Fixed-Charge-Notices/Cancelling-Fixed-Charge-Notices.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.garda.ie/en/Roads-Policing/Fixed-Charge-Notices/Cancelling-Fixed-Charge-Notices.html

-------------

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 7:28pm
Hi Meath boy you broke the law end of. Pay up

Posted By: Lostandfound
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

3 points and €80 fine.

It depends on the insurance company.  Mine went up €60 approx at renewal (for first 3 points). 

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:50am
Yeah any points will affect the premium with some insurers. Mightn't be much for 3 but still more than likely be some hike. Any excuse to get more money

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:56am
Slightly off topic, but not so long ago I got a legitimate parking ticket as half the car was parked in a bus lane on the Lisburn Road in Belfast. Got my mate whos a mechanic to do me out an invoice to say that my fuel gauage was faulty and I then appealed the ticket saying I had run out of fuel and had to walk to a garage to get some and had no other option but to leave the car there, with the invoice as evidence for this. The ticket and fine was scrapped Big smile

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 3:41pm
They need to change the speeding policy in my opinion.

I was done for speeding between Kill and Rathcoole 112km in a 100km zone (that stretch can also change from 120 to 100. My point is that I was fined for speeding on a Motorway doing 12% more speed than allowed. 80 + 3 points.

Someone else can do 80km in a 50km zone in a built up area with the risk of kids running out on the road or cars pulling out from a side road. 80e + 3 points.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

I was done for speeding between Kill and Rathcoole 112km in a 100km zone (that stretch can also change from 120 to 100. My point is that I was fined for speeding on a Motorway doing 12% more speed than allowed. 80 + 3 points.

Someone else can do 80km in a 50km zone in a built up area with the risk of kids running out on the road or cars pulling out from a side road. 80e + 3 points.

would tend to agree with the general thrust

when I did the speed awareness course in lieu of points they emphasised the greatly increased chance of survival being struck at 30mph or indeed 20 as against 40mph whereas an accident at 70mph and 80mph is unlikely to be much of a  different outcome

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 4:36pm

Or, and this is a f**king mental idea, stay within the speed limit and get no points!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Or, and this is a f**king mental idea, stay within the speed limit and get no points!
The Germans definietly have it right with the "do what the f**k you want on the motorway but no speeding in built up areas" approach. Punish spedding where appropriate, no point having a bunch of speed traps on a motorway.

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 11:40pm

The speed limit between Kill and Rathcoole is 100km it has never been 120km.Speed limits in Ireland are a joke 80km out by Lucan when 100km would be fine.The roadworks around Naas/Newbridge 60km is a joke the same type of roadworks in the UK is 50m/ph and that's reasonable and fair. 

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 11:54pm
Speed limits are generally nonsensical all over this country. Most of them were set in the 70s/80s when car braking distances were about 6 times longer than what they are now. Long, straight dual carraigeways where it would be perfectly safe to do 100km/h have been set at 60/70/80 just so the state can collect revenue handily. 

Equally, there are plenty 'B' roads in the country where limits are set at 100km/h and you would nearly want to be a WRC driver to start attempting it, you hear less about those roads as nobody gets caught for speeding for 2 reasons, first it would be  nearly suicidal to go any faster, and second the physical difficulty of going faster than that means the speed vans are at nothing while out revenue collecting, they'd be lucky to catch anyone at all even if they stayed on it for 24 hours. 

Speed limits in built up areas or where there are dangerous junctions- fair enough- don't think anyone should have an issue with that, but you never really see a speed van in those type of areas, they are generally situated where the limit has been set lower than it should be in the first place instead. 

Our road traffic death numbers have improved vastly since the 80's & 90's, and that's mainly down to the standard of road and little else, it certainly isn't due to driver behaviour improvements, though to be fair, the current test is a lot more comprehensive than it used to be. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:32am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Not the point. I am not arguing about being fined for breaking the limit. 

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Speed limits are generally nonsensical all over this country. Most of them were set in the 70s/80s when car braking distances were about 6 times longer than what they are now. Long, straight dual carraigeways where it would be perfectly safe to do 100km/h have been set at 60/70/80 just so the state can collect revenue handily. 

Equally, there are plenty 'B' roads in the country where limits are set at 100km/h and you would nearly want to be a WRC driver to start attempting it, you hear less about those roads as nobody gets caught for speeding for 2 reasons, first it would be  nearly suicidal to go any faster, and second the physical difficulty of going faster than that means the speed vans are at nothing while out revenue collecting, they'd be lucky to catch anyone at all

this was exactly my point. ill take my 3 points and 80 fine and be wary in future.

but the stretch of dual carriage way where i was done is insane to limit it to 100. when the road turns woeful 10 mile down the road, but maintains its 100 limit   but its handy revenue for them

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 7:38pm
3 and a half weeks now and still no letter/summons has arrived

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 9:36pm
Question for the thick thread, perhaps, but do you get a fine and points on the licence if caught by a speed van or just the fine?

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Question for the thick thread, perhaps, but do you get a fine and points on the licence if caught by a speed van or just the fine?
both

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

both

sh*te. Now the anxious wait for a letter.

Think I was approx. 3 or 4 over limit.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 10:43pm
80 euro and 3 points - no impact on insurance but let them know when you;re renewing.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 11:56am

both

If you were in a 50 zone you’ll be grand! They usually give you 10% leeway well up North anyway.

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 4:10pm

both

If you were only 3/4km over the limit you’ll be grand. If however you noticed the van, hit the brake and then checked the speedo and were only 3/4 over, you could be in trouble of they nabbed you before you tapped the anchor. In an 80 kph zone, as the copper that oversees our speed system says...88 you’re great, 89 you’re mine...

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 4:28pm

both

If you were only 3/4km over the limit you’ll be grand. If however you noticed the van, hit the brake and then checked the speedo and were only 3/4 over, you could be in trouble of they nabbed you before you tapped the anchor. In an 80 kph zone, as the copper that oversees our speed system says...88 you’re great, 89 you’re mine...

I thought at 88 you go Back to the Future no?

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

both

I thought at 88 you go Back to the Future no?
That would have been miles per hour 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net