Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57058
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 5:01am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Worst Ever Senior Finals Moments
Posted By: RogerMilla
Subject: Worst Ever Senior Finals Moments
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 1:35pm
There's a nice thread on our best goals but what about the pure and utter misery ? LOL

off the top of my head 
Wim Kieft - complete and utter fluke Cry
Harte and Kilbane v Spain , the two eejits Angry
Spain in Gdansk , misery unbound , dont dare mention the fields of Athenry Angry
Schillaci Cry

loads more of course if we didn't just mention finals but lets just keep it to the tournaments 

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Replies:
Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 1:43pm
Watching Mendieta's peno bobble over Given's foot.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 1:44pm
As controversial an opinion as it may be, Im still not sure I don’t believe we would have been better off not qualifying for Euro 2012.

The whole thing was such a debacle, between leaving behind/in the stands about 11 players who would have made a demonstrable difference to the players who were brought, the style of experimentation Trap tried, with Cox playing as a form of winger, the horrendous defeat to Spain, the overlooked injuries etc.

I’m not sure we’ve ever truly recovered from it.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 1:47pm
I'd agree that the whole of Euro 2012 was the worst finals "moment"

Totally devoid of everything

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 2:01pm
The whole 2nd half of the Euro 2016 match v Belgium. Ouch

That utter c*nt of a Turkish ref refusing us a blatant penno at the start of that half from which Belgium broke straight up the other end to score - and it kept going downhill from there. Unhappy

Can you still create a poll for this thread now that it's been opened btw?

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: Ibaraki
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 2:03pm
Packie in Orlando v Netherlands 

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 2:03pm
We weren’t getting anything from that game, no matter who reffed it and what they gave us. We got it all wrong.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 2:14pm
Euro 2012 was a sh*tshow from start to finish. I don't think will come across a tournament like that again hopefully.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Euro 2012 was a sh*tshow from start to finish. I don't think will come across a tournament like that again hopefully.
Not a hope, we would have to qualify first!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: skylarking
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 2:51pm
Euro 88 - no shame whatsoever, all fine performances. The USSR match in particular was the best Ireland performance I've ever seen.

Italia 90 - Egypt. As boring as it gets

USA 94 - Packie's mistake v Wim Jonk

Japan/Korea 02 - Big Mick not realising Spain were down to 10 men

Poland/Ukraine 12 - Spain match set records for levels of poxiness never seen in a major finals before or since

France 16 - Clarke was unlucky not to have scored several own goals in that tournament. We did alright though

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 3:10pm
Euro 2012, after 35mins or whatever it was when the 2nd goal went in. You just new the tournament was over right there. It was a surreal and dperessing feeling knowing there was another 2 weeks of the trip left

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

And in Rome vs Italy.

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

And in Rome vs Italy.

Not remotely comparable. 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 3:16pm
Packie wasn't the best keeper was he?  Still can't forgive Shay Given for Euro 2012.    I read his autobiography and was utter selfishness to play in that finals.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 3:17pm

And in Rome vs Italy.

I think Orlando one was worse.

You can kind of blame perhaps the defence for not reacting to Schillaci quick enough, but of course Bonner should have done better with the Donadoni(?) shot

Jonk's shot he for some tried to punch it or catch it and it went through him, pam it and he could have collected or the defense could have cleared.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Still can't forgive Shay Given for Euro 2012.    

In fairness there was more than just players playing through the pain barrier. The nonsense for leaving Coleman at home etc made the tournament a real farce.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

In fairness there was more than just players playing through the pain barrier. The nonsense for leaving Coleman at home etc made the tournament a real farce.

Dave O'LEARY was left out of the Euro 88 squad as was Liam BRADY.  I didn't have a big issue with Coleman as he was young and had a poor season at Everton.  Trap probably overtrained the players and should have dropped Dunne and Given and taken the decision out of their hands.

Given said he couldn't jump off his left leg FFS and was getting treatment off the German team doctor on the day of the Croatia match unknown to everybody.  He went way down in my estimation that day.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 3:29pm

Packie wasn't the best keeper was he?  Still can't forgive Shay Given for Euro 2012.    I read his autobiography and was utter selfishness to play in that finals.

Can't remember much of Bonner tbh, but I always think he was helped in fact we had a pretty decent defence during his time Moran,McCarthy, McGrath ahead of him they were hard to get through.

He was a tall enough and was decent on the high balls (Can't remember him being beaten much of hand). and had a decent long boot on him.

The penalty save though I think does gloss over a lot of his flaws though and probably makes us look upon him with more tinted glasses.

I'll agree Shay shouldn't have played 2012, in fact I don't think he should have come back. Still the best keeper we've ever produced his shot stopping and reflexes were superb.

P.S. haven't read his book any use? it be somewhere in the house

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Can't remember much of Bonner tbh, but I always think he was helped in fact we had a pretty decent defence during his time Moran,McCarthy, McGrath ahead of him they were hard to get through.

He was a tall enough and was decent on the high balls (Can't remember him being beaten much of hand). and had a decent long boot on him.

The penalty save though I think does gloss over a lot of his flaws though and probably makes us look upon him with more tinted glasses.

I'll agree Shay shouldn't have played 2012, in fact I don't think he should have come back. Still the best keeper we've ever produced his shot stopping and reflexes were superb.

P.S. haven't read his book any use? it be somewhere in the house

Shay was one of my favourite players but I lost a lot of respect for him for a number of reasons.  He was way better than Packie but it became clear to me he is a me feiner.  Coming back in 2015 was nothing short of a joke.  His autobiography was pretty poor and unmemorable bar the Euro 2012 story about his fitness.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

And in Rome vs Italy.

Not remotely comparable. 

In what way? They were both pretty poor mistakes, albeit the 94' one was worse.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 3:52pm

Dave O'LEARY was left out of the Euro 88 squad as was Liam BRADY.  I didn't have a big issue with Coleman as he was young and had a poor season at Everton.  Trap probably overtrained the players and should have dropped Dunne and Given and taken the decision out of their hands.

Green had been injured for a lot that season, and McShane had played very little. Coleman was young, but was not nearly as poor as had been suggested and could have been easily included. The narrative at the time made little sense to me.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 3:56pm

Green had been injured for a lot that season, and McShane had played very little. Coleman was young, but was not nearly as poor as had been suggested and could have been easily included. The narrative at the time made little sense to me.

don't forget what happened to Kevin Foley extremely harsh I think he had a slight hamstring injury but would have recovered in time.

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:05pm
2012 was an absolute pox of a tournament. Waiting ten years to qualify and the whole gig more or less over after one half of football. The Spain game was the pits.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:07pm
yeah once croatia scored their second we were hosed , misery 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:08pm

I think i have repressed that bad memory , how the hell did i forget that LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:09pm

utter selfishness to play in that finals.

macateer did the same in Japan Angry

-------------

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:13pm
In the BBC Euro 2012 preview Garth Crooks picked out Ireland as definitely the worst team in the tournament. He got a lot of abuse at the time,but was spot on for once.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

2012 was an absolute pox of a tournament. Waiting ten years to qualify and the whole gig more or less over after one half of football. The Spain game was the pits.

I think there may have been three players in our squad who were in “the shop window”, arriving in Poland unattached and uncontracted. That also didn’t take into account the number of players contracted to a poor Wolves team, which had just been relegated or how some of our key lads were carrying injuries. And, our spine was more or less what had been our star players at the World Cup a decade earlier.

Retrospectively, it couldn’t have gone any other way.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:15pm

Given said he couldn't jump off his left leg FFS and was getting treatment off the German team doctor on the day of the Croatia match unknown to everybody.  He went way down in my estimation that day.
And boy, did that show in that game, especially the 1st goal when he took half the night to try and get to that header (which he would surely have saved comfortably if fully fit. 

As for Packie - I thought he was unlucky for Schillaci's goal in that he slipped just after parrying the shot from Donadoni.  If that hadn't happened, he would probably have been able to either get closer to Schillachi quicker to smother the shot or even just get back on his line. 

But the one from Jonk in Orlando that he let slip through his hands was definitely a dreadful moment for him and a sad way for him to finish his international career. Cry

-------------

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:28pm
 On the packie thing, he made a balls of a couple of goals in poznan in 91. Childhood hero of mine but you argue he cost us 90,92,94. 

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:43pm

Saipan

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:48pm
Shay Given has a book? He always came across as especially dense, I can’t imagine it is worth reading!

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Shay Given has a book? He always came across as especially dense, I can’t imagine it is worth reading!

Don't think it done much in sales tbh. Don't think I have seen in paperback form usually a sign of demand. 

I'd be interested in reading it more for his views on his time at Newcastle and saipan 

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:53pm
Bonner in Orlando by a mile.

2012 we were sh*t and weren't getting out of the group whatever. 

In 1994 we'd beaten Italy and deserved to do so, and the sky felt the limit after that. 

But the tournament just completely petered out for us. 

Bonner letting that shot through was the point of no return. 

We were probably going to lose anyway, but once that ball slipped through him there was no way back and everybody knew it immediately.

Everything felt wrong about that day - we'd assumed it would be Belgium after the group and then they somehow lost to Saudi Arabia meaning it was the Dutch, who we knew were better than us, the venue, the line up, the horrible kit. 

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:55pm
Closely followed by Terry Phelan in the same match, by the way. 

Urgghhh. 

Here Holland, have a free place in the quarter-finals on us.

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Posted By: killer kilbane
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:56pm
Packie s perfermance against England in Stuttgard is up there with the save from the penalty. He has cost us too though 

-------------
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 5:00pm
Actually think the two games we played in Orlando were two of worst following Ireland the heat was unbelievable I was only 9 at the time but I remember it just being horrific.

Ifrc the Dutch had been based there so we're used to it compared to ourselves going to new Jersey for two games 

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 5:05pm

Actually think the two games we played in Orlando were two of worst following Ireland the heat was unbelievable I was only 9 at the time but I remember it just being horrific.

Ifrc the Dutch had been based there so we're used to it compared to ourselves going to new Jersey for two games 

The EIRE were based in Orlando and travelled up to New York for the games only. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 5:19pm

Big difference between training and playing games there

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 5:31pm

Big difference between training and playing games there

But we did play games there.  The Dutch played one more.  Not sure it made a difference.  The Dutch were better.  There were signs that Jack's time was up as early as September 1993.

-------------

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 5:41pm
Jesus, this thread would depress ya LOL

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 5:57pm
Amazingly nobody has mentioned Saipan have they?  Who was at fault for that whole debacle?

-------------

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 6:02pm
Kieft's goal was a hammer blow but we went home with our heads held high in 88.

Egypt was a major disappointment in 90.  There was a plane waiting in Palermo airport to take the team home after the Dutch game that Quinner managed to cancel.  We got semi final tickets that day as the FAI offloaded tickets.  Losing to Italy was no disgrace and we thought we'd lost to the eventual winners again.

The Dutch game was a major blow.  We really thought we'd beat them.  We were ranked 6th in the World at that stage having beaten the Dutch and the Germans away in warm ups.  the heat was a factor in the Mexico game but it was much cooler v the Dutch.     

Expectations were low after Saipan so I was very happy with 2002.  OK we could have pushed on in extra time and taken better penalties but still a decent effort.

2012 was as others have said a big letdown.  

The Belgium performance in 2016 was a letdown.  We were poor I thought.   

Packie was a superb keeper btw. He had a bad day in Orlando.  I think the backpass rule which came in maybe in 92 cut short his career.  He would never cut in in a Pep or Klopp side.  However he was a fine shot stopper and commanded his area very well.    

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 6:11pm

And in Rome vs Italy.

Not remotely comparable. 

In what way? They were both pretty poor mistakes, albeit the 94' one was worse.

Ah, the '94 one was an absolute howler, '90 was a bit unfortunate. Ball came to him swerving from the original shot and he saved it, was a bit unlucky it rebounded straight to Schillaci. 

It's become a bit of revisionism to chalk it down as a howler by some, no one was saying that at the time. The Jonk one was a horror show. You can see in the difference to his reaction to each goal which would be judged a big error by players. 

-------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 6:16pm

Brady was injured in 88 and would have been suspended for the first two games even if he'd been fit.

Coleman himself has said he didn't deserve to be picked in 2012 as he'd been p1ss poor in 2011/12 after a great season the year before.

-------------

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 6:35pm
Coleman didn't go to Euro 2012  because he didn't deserve to. He had barely played in the previous six months. He completed 90 minutes in only six games that season, and none after the new year. His last start was in March, and only appeared in the three more games before the end of the season.
Hibbert got injured early the next season, so Coleman played pretty much every game, and got back to his previous form. That 's when people started asking why he didn't go to Poland.

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 7:22pm
2012 changed things for us.

In every tournament we played we always gave as good as we got but 2012 lowered the bar for us. And it has stayed that low since. 

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 8:07pm
Worst moment was the final whistle of the game against Italy in 1990. We showed great resolve in that tournament to come from behind to get creitable draws against decent teams. Right to the final whistle there was still believe that we could muster an equaliser. In 1988, once the Dutch scored we all knew it was curtains. Not too hard on Bonner for the mistake in Orlando, the Dutch were worth of a 2-0 win that day. Whatever errors Bonner made,his heroic performance on that golden sunny afternoon in Stuttgart forgives a lot.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

2012 changed things for us.

In every tournament we played we always gave as good as we got but 2012 lowered the bar for us. And it has stayed that low since. 

The worst performance at euro 2012 wasn’t even on
The pitch. 

AidoM doing Old McDonnell had a farm
And going full chicken is as embarrassing as anything traps team did at euro 2012. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 8:17pm
Sad thing about Euro 2012 was after the first game, we knew we were f*cked. And that it was only going to get worse. 

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 8:37pm
Given's career went on some downward spiral after Euro 2012. 

Was he ever first choice for club again in his career?? 

I've grown to dislike him since, he shouldn't have been playing in the first place

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

I've grown to dislike him since, he shouldn't have been playing in the first place

He was nowhere near 100% fit for the Euros. If he had any sense he'd have made himself unavailable 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 9:04pm

If we’re completely honest with ourselves, that 4-0 loss was the expected result. They weren’t just the reigning world and European champions, that Spanish side was one of the all-time greatest teams.

Posted By: Ecumenical Matter
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 9:17pm
Playing the dead fixture in Poland. What made it worse was that we didn’t even give some of the lads a game.  

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

His career was on a downward spiral for some time before it really, 2012 was just the culmination. I think there were clear signs of disimprovement from 2010 and certainly 2011.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 9:54pm

He had something like 5 quad injures, he was out of form and Coleman himself admitted himself that he shouldn't have been selected.

We also had O'Shea and Dunne and maybe others injured or at least carrying knocks, hence the exclusion of Foley and the selection of McShane.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 9:57pm
Paul McGraths header that hit the post v Holland 1988 so close...

Although FAI were probably happy when Kieft scored, apparently didn't have enough money for semi final, not obviously in the plans. 

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Crap senior Crap senior wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He had something like 5 quad injures, he was out of form and Coleman himself admitted himself that he shouldn't have been selected.

We also had O'Shea and Dunne and maybe others injured or at least carrying knocks, hence the exclusion of Foley and the selection of McShane.

o Shea was never a full back though. 

I never said he was, although he played many positions including goalkeeper, the point is that a number of our defenders were carrying knocks and could have been ruled out at any stage.

Only seeing Tets reply now.

Go back and view the Coleman thread in or before the Euros, AFAIK no one batted an eyelid when Coleman wasn't selected for a whole host of different reasons.

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Coleman didn't go to Euro 2012  because he didn't deserve to. He had barely played in the previous six months. He completed 90 minutes in only six games that season, and none after the new year. His last start was in March, and only appeared in the three more games before the end of the season.
Hibbert got injured early the next season, so Coleman played pretty much every game, and got back to his previous form. That 's when people started asking why he didn't go to Poland.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 10:06pm

o Shea was never a full back though. 

I never said he was, although he played many positions including goalkeeper, the point is that a number of our defenders were carrying knocks and could have been ruled out at any stage.

Only seeing Tets reply now.

Go back and view the Coleman thread in or before the Euros, AFAIK no one batted an eyelid when Coleman wasn't selected for a whole host of different reasons.

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

O'Shea most certainly was a full back (and a fine one), but not after the blood clot in his leg sustained in 2009 which completely robbed him of his pace. Coleman may not have had a great season, but he still should have went, it's not as if he was incredibly young player at the time, he was 23/24. At the very least Foley should have been brought.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 10:24pm

nothing to do with trapatonis dinosaur tactics of course.

No.  MON is the ultimate dinosaur.  How is Given's ability to dive for a header anything to do with tactics?Confused

That 2012 was a hiding to nothing.   We played Spain who won 3 tournaments in a row playing unbelievable tiki taka football.  They are probably the best international team of all time.  We played the finalists in the same group (who Spain also beat 4-0 yet nobody mentions it).  We also played Croatia who almost knocked Italy out.   3 world class sides.  If we had qualified for the 2010 world cup we would have done very respectfully as the team were reaching a peak around then and the draw would have been far easier.  2012 was a disaster because the team was getting too old, the teams we were up against and the injuries and preparation was overdone. Given was a major reason it was over after the 1st game.  He was at fault for 2 of the goals because his reactions were that of a 80 year old man.

-------------

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Ecumenical Matter Ecumenical Matter wrote:

Playing the dead fixture in Poland. What made it worse was that we didn’t even give some of the lads a game.  

For tournament games I was at, that Italy game is my choice too. Wasn't as disinterested in a game in a long time as that one, it near enough defied belief that more or less the same obviously tired,  weakened by injuries & knocks team was picked that had conceded 7 goals the previous week. We basically conceded that game just by the act of naming that team. I've always maintained that this game was where Trap lost the dressing room, or at least the sizeable proportion of it that didn't get an opportunity to play even though we were already out. 

One thing that sticks in my mind is a fairly large section of fans deliberately trying to re-create the misery/eh, unique atmosphere of the Spain game by attempting to get a similar version of the fields of Athenry going when we went 2-nil down (It's a song I've always detested anyway, though I suppose its sheer misery is somehow appropriate for some of the muck we play on the pitch) - f**kin spare us lads will ya. 

Other than that, I would go for Holland in 1994, Bonner hadn't been a top class keeper since around 1991, and what made it worse was that Alan Kelly was one of the form keepers in England at the time, it was an error that Kelly at that stage, would have been extremely unlikely to have made. Yes the Dutch were a better team, but back then we used to justifiably not give a hoot about any team's reputation, though that was more difficult when we shot ourselves in the foot with a few selections in that tournament, not just Bonner. Stan's struggles with the extreme heat spring to mind there too. 

There is a also a theme there that continues to this day of lads playing for us on the basis of what they did 3, 4 or 5 years previously and not current form (Matt Doherty would probably agree with me there) and is seen in the current senior team with the continued selection of Whelan, Hendrick, McClean and Brady, regardless of their own form or performances, never mind those of others. 

2016 was MON's highlight, Belgium aside, we performed admirably for a limited squad, but if we did scrape qualifying with this group for 2020, unless new players make it into the team, or some of the aforementioned regain long lost form, the thought does strike me that the experience could be more like 2012 than 2016, especially with the more or less guaranteed presence of Spain in the group, even if they themselves are not at their 2008-2012 level. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: Gerry Geary
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 12:49am
Not playing Stapleton/bernie slaven ... a single minute and the Liam Brady omission. 0-0 with egipt was hard

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 12:56am
Loved Italia 90 but looking back we played dire hoofball and scored 2 goals and never won a  game.  We broke football  so badly that they had to change the rules on account of us amd scrap the backpass and award 3 points for a win.

-------------

Posted By: Jimmy Raggatip
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 4:09am
full time v Sweden

thought we'd completely f**ked it and didn't expect us to get anything from Belgium or Italy

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 7:15am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Ecumenical Matter Ecumenical Matter wrote:

For tournament games I was at, that Italy game is my choice too. Wasn't as disinterested in a game in a long time as that one, it near enough defied belief that more or less the same obviously tired,  weakened by injuries & knocks team was picked that had conceded 7 goals the previous week. We basically conceded that game just by the act of naming that team. I've always maintained that this game was where Trap lost the dressing room, or at least the sizeable proportion of it that didn't get an opportunity to play even though we were already out. 

This for me too.

Every other tournament we had some great memories. We made mistakes but we also had some luck too.

It’s was an extremely difficult group but we seemed to do everything wrong. 

But the last game was the final straw. Not giving other players a game was nothing short of a disgrace. 

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

full time v Sweden

thought we'd completely f**ked it and didn't expect us to get anything from Belgium or Italy
Come on, that's not even on the radar.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 8:29am
2012 will live long in the memories of sh*t shows alright.

I remember thinking before the tournament like most nick 4 points from Croatia / Italy and we'd scrap through as we weren't getting anything against Spain.

I remember hearing the Spain v Italy result and thinking go out and get the win over Croatia and we're in a good position.

3 minutes in and it was just down hill, St. Ledger gave some little hope but as soon as Jelavic score it just was terrible.

As said didn't expect anything from Spain game but we were simply dreadful, I haven't even watched it back in years but if I remember correctly Spain went easy on us in the second half and in sense 4-0 was probably flattering as it could have been more.

The Italy game as people have said it was a dead rubber not giving some other players a chance to play in a major tournament was probably Traps downfall.

Overall as people said the preparation for the tournament was a farce, we overtrained, certain players were injured/not 100% fit and I believe the team stayed in the Ayia Napa of Poland i.e. party central not great for preparing for a tournament

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:24am
Trap naming his starting 11 v Croatia a week before the game. 

Genius Clap

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:36am

2012 will live long in the memories of sh*t shows alright.

I remember thinking before the tournament like most nick 4 points from Croatia / Italy and we'd scrap through as we weren't getting anything against Spain.

I remember hearing the Spain v Italy result and thinking go out and get the win over Croatia and we're in a good position.

3 minutes in and it was just down hill, St. Ledger gave some little hope but as soon as Jelavic score it just was terrible.

As said didn't expect anything from Spain game but we were simply dreadful, I haven't even watched it back in years but if I remember correctly Spain went easy on us in the second half and in sense 4-0 was probably flattering as it could have been more.

The Italy game as people have said it was a dead rubber not giving some other players a chance to play in a major tournament was probably Traps downfall.

Overall as people said the preparation for the tournament was a farce, we overtrained, certain players were injured/not 100% fit and I believe the team stayed in the Ayia Napa of Poland i.e. party central not great for preparing for a tournament

In my darker moments, I felt the eventual outcome of Euro 2012 was inevitable. The Russian games in 2010 and 2011 should have given us a clue. A fortuitous penalty decision in Dublin potentially stopped a 0-5 defeat that night, and but for some heroic defending and blind luck, we escaped from Moscow with a 0-0 draw after being hammered. We also looked blunt at home against Slovakia. We really made it to the finals on the back of wins against Armenia and Estonia, and when we met teams at the peak of their fitness and ambition, we were slaughtered.

I did watch the Spain highlights last year, and it makes for deeply uncomfortable watching. Our backline looks like something out of a Benny Hill sketch, as they were bamboozled by Spanish skill.

The Italy selection still baffles, and its always worth watching the video on RTÉ discussing the players left behind or on the bench. 

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:42am

Ah, the '94 one was an absolute howler, '90 was a bit unfortunate. Ball came to him swerving from the original shot and he saved it, was a bit unlucky it rebounded straight to Schillaci. 

It's become a bit of revisionism to chalk it down as a howler by some, no one was saying that at the time. The Jonk one was a horror show. You can see in the difference to his reaction to each goal which would be judged a big error by players. 

Yeah fair enough. I certainly don't think '90 falls into the 'absolute howler' category but it surely is an error, admittedly exacerbated by the unfortunate slip which immediately proceeded it. I'm sure if you asked the man himself he would accept he could have done better with it. There was fierce power on the strike and it was moving though, they are both mitigating factors as you point out.

Also no-one was saying anything like that at the time as the team was pretty much beyond criticism by that point. The term 'revisionism' often invokes negative connotations but that's generally due to it being confused with negationism (denial or distortion of factual events). There's no harm in using the passage of time to review something a bit more objectively and without the rose tinted glasses that we all rightly had on back in the day. Not that I'm looking to scapegoat the man either, I fully accept he was a fine keeper who bailed us out on several occasions and at the end of the day we simply weren't able to cause the Italians enough problems to deserve to progress anyway.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:58am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

full time v Sweden

Come on, that's not even on the radar.
This

Sure, we came out of the ground after the Sweden match thinking 'we should have won that game'. But one of our worst moments at a tournament?  Not a chance! LOL

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 4:10pm

Brady was suspended for the first two games but got injured and wouldn't have made it anyway.

Back to the thread, regarding finals, McGrath's header hitting the post in Gelsenkirchen followed then by Kieft's jammy offside goal (when offside meant offside), absolute sickners.

Soviet game, we had the most blatant peno ever when Dasaev nearly broke Galvin in two and then still at 1-0 when we had the Soviets on their knees, Aldo missed an absolute sitter from a Galvin cross. That gets forgotten in an outstanding performance from us.

Italia 90, Egypt was truly sh*t and we were never gonna be allowed to beat the Italians so I'd give Packy a bit of a break on the goal.  I wouldn't give him a break however for Jonk's goal in 94, horrific.

I wouldn't put Gdansk in 2012 as a particularly sickening game, Spain were at the top of their game back then and we were carrying a few players and we were ruthlessly exposed and that I saw Iniesta at his brilliant best tempers that game a lot for me. The other two games we were horrific, absolutely.

2002 for worst moments it doesn't really go past Saipan for me, what a crock of sh*t.

France 2016, Bordeaux is down there with Egypt and Norway for the sheer ineptitude of the performance.   At least we didn't lose against Egypt or Norway and they proved crucial points, but Jaysus we were absolutely deplorable in Bordeaux.  People were giving out that many of us went on the lash that night, but for Jaysus sake we'd witnessed 90 plus depressingly bad minutes, we needed something to make that day somewhat less sh*te.

Good thread. Clap

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: mandrake
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 4:17pm
to quote freewheeler... regarding finals, McGrath's header hitting the post in Gelsenkirchen followed then by Kieft's jammy offside goal (when offside meant offside), absolute sickners.

thats was bad luck for a good team. but its football.. saipan was really really really bad .. that was our generations civil war total f'up by everyone including that ex-irish times reporter.. dirty b*llix..it was his interview/article
packie mistake in orlando was very dissapointing  but werent at the races after italy and i remember being in orlando after that thinking how to get home ....

-------------
Come on Irelind

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 4:26pm
Deleted as I now read the thread Embarrassed

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 4:58pm
I don't remember the Belgium game being that bad, we should have had a penalty and a possible red card for alderweireld after he kicked long in the head, I think they scored from the counter on that move.

Now I'd say that would have gone to VAR and who knows I'll agree Belgium were the much better team but that game could have been a hell of a lot different had decisions gone our way 

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 5:33pm

I don't remember the Belgium game being that bad, we should have had a penalty and a possible red card for alderweireld after he kicked long in the head, I think they scored from the counter on that move.

Now I'd say that would have gone to VAR and who knows I'll agree Belgium were the much better team but that game could have been a hell of a lot different had decisions gone our way 

Yeah twas nil all at half time in bordeaux? 

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 6:15pm

Yeah twas nil all at half time in bordeaux? 

It was indeed. I remember thinking we had half a chance against a very good Belgium side but in theory our midfield were chasing butterflies.

Completely outclassed in the end.

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Posted By: Crosby87
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 7:02pm
Oh man. I remember my final in Quantum Mechanics senior year.... I hadn't gone to class in months because it was at noon and I watched a 90210 rerun every day at noon on what was then the FX Network.

That was a tough day. 

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 8:47pm

That was an awful game.  Playing  aimless hoofball to Shane Long. The defence was a mess as well.

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:35pm
Belgian game was grim lads. Maybe cos I totally stayed off the gargle before the game means it remains in my memory more than many of yiz. 3-0 was kind to us. We were utter sh*te.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: OohAah...
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 3:10am
Spain 2012.
Torture.
We didn't get a kick.
The end of a tournament in the most humiliating way

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 6:23am
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Spain 2012.
Torture.
We didn't get a kick.

We played another game after that (I know we were knocked out after that result but our tournament wasn't over) 

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 9:14am

Spain 2012.
Torture.
We didn't get a kick.

Spain were arguably one of the best international sides ever!

And to think Georgia (2017 away) had more possession than this Spain team is more worrying.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 9:52am

Spain 2012.
Torture.
We didn't get a kick.

And to think Georgia (2017 away) had more possession than this Spain team is more worrying.

I had to google that as it seems unbelievable-

33% v Spain (not sure how we got that much!)
Only 26%  v Georgia.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Spain 2012.
Torture.
We didn't get a kick.

I had to google that as it seems unbelievable-

33% v Spain (not sure how we got that much!)
Only 26%  v Georgia.

Does picking the ball out of the back of the net and walking it up the field count?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net