Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57051
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 8:42pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: World Cup 2022 Qualifying-Nations League Link
Posted By: AonSceal19
Subject: World Cup 2022 Qualifying-Nations League Link
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 11:12am
PARIS — European teams will get a qualifying path to the 2022 World Cup via the Nations League competition.

UEFA is preparing a qualifying format that should see teams earn places in the playoffs by winning a Nations League group in 2020.

It would fulfil UEFA’s pledge when creating the competition five years ago to make it feed into major tournaments.

“It will be part of the plan that the Nations League will fit in,” UEFA’s competitions expert Giorgio Marchetti told The Associated Press on Tuesday”.

Group winners in all four Nations League tiers are also assured of a place in the 2020 European Championship qualifying playoffs next March, if they don’t advance directly. The playoffs will decide the last four entries in a 24-team lineup at Euro 2020.

The 55 European national teams will compete for 13 places in the 32-team World Cup lineup in Qatar. Ten places will be earned by winners of the traditional qualifying groups played in 2021.

That leaves three World Cup entries to be allocated in playoffs.

“Obviously we will have to include in the playoffs all the runners-up in the 10 groups,” Marchetti said.

One option is adding two teams based on their Nations League results to create a 12-team playoffs with two knockout rounds, where three winners advance to the 2022 World Cup.

“I think it’s good to give it (Nations League) that status,” said Gijs de Jong, secretary of the Netherlands soccer federation. The Dutch failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup and Euro 2016, but returned to form in the Nations League.

Marchetti said UEFA expects to finalize its World Cup qualifying format in September. The national team competitions panel is scheduled to meet before a UEFA executive committee session on Sept. 24 in Ljubljana, Slovenia.

“The Nations League is already very important by itself,” said Marchetti, who is one of UEFA’s deputy general secretaries. “There are objectives and incentives for all. And teams can be involved to the end.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/dcunited/uefa-plots-2022-world-cup-qualifying-path-via-nations-league/2019/06/04/110ec68c-86f3-11e9-9d73-e2ba6bbf1b9b_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.7f776cd6795d" rel="nofollow - https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/dcunited/uefa-plots-2022-world-cup-qualifying-path-via-nations-league/2019/06/04/110ec68c-86f3-11e9-9d73-e2ba6bbf1b9b_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.7f776cd6795d

My personal opinion on this is that you have to commend UEFA again. I was worried that the 2nd place teams in World Cup Qualifying would lose out on the playoffs due to the Nations League but this system is actually fairer. For World Cup 2018 Qualifying there were 9 groups of 6 teams and the 8 best runner ups got a playoff spot. Going by the above there would be 10 groups and all 10 runner ups would get a playoff spot alongside 2 teams from the Nations League. There would be 3 playoff paths so I assume it would be similar to the Euro 2020 playoffs. 3 playoff paths with 4 teams each. A one legged semifinal and a one legged final to decide the final 3 teams to qualify to Qatar 2022.

-------------
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”

Replies:
Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:15pm
That's surely a positive for us? 

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Correct, the lower Nations League we're in the better. Ideally, you'd have a sh1t nations league ranking and a great qualifiers ranking (World Ranking)

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:53pm
Surely FIFA will kick up a sh*tstorm over this. They’d be freaked if someone like France missed out and Macedonia qualified instead through a group D playoff. 

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Surely FIFA will kick up a sh*tstorm over this. They’d be freaked if someone like France missed out and Macedonia qualified instead through a group D playoff. 

There is only 2 spots on offer through the Nations League so I assume it’ll only be on offer to League A and B. It might be beneficial to be in a lower league for Euros Qualifying but not for World Cup Qualifying.

-------------
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Correct, the lower Nations League we're in the better. Ideally, you'd have a sh1t nations league ranking and a great qualifiers ranking (World Ranking)
So our relegation to League C for the next NL won't come back to haunt us after all as I thought it would (when it seemed like only teams in Leagues A and B would be in the play-offs)? Thank God for that. Clap

Incidentally, the qualifying draw is 19th July 2019 according to Wikipedia - that clearly won't be happening now. LOL

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 1:59pm
It’s just a f**king farce at this stage. 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It’s just a f**king farce at this stage. 
No sh*t, Sherlock! LOL

To be fair though, at first glance, it looks like it might be a bit more straightforward than the NL link with the European Championships. But I'm sure UEFA will soon throw in a few curveballs in the coming months and years to leave us all confused again. LOL

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

So our relegation to League C for the next NL won't come back to haunt us after all as I thought it would (when it seemed like only teams in Leagues A and B would be in the play-offs)? Thank God for that. Clap

Incidentally, the qualifying draw is 19th July 2019 according to Wikipedia - that clearly won't be happening now. LOL

Well it can - they are drawing ten qualifying groups and the ten winners qualify automatically. That's all that needs to be drawn at this stage. The exact format thereafter is a matter for decision but the first phase can be drawn without the format for the second stage having been decided.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 2:47pm
But we connect the two at all? The NL was been very well received, the only flaw is this confusing and pointless attempt to intertwine it with the Euro qualifiers. Between the ridiculous hosting of this Euros, the choice of hosting the next World Cup and this attempt to make qualifying for these things look like they have been drawn up by the GAA, they are trying their best to make international football as ridiculous as possible. 
I am sure they are making extra money, in the short-term at least.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Well it can - they are drawing ten qualifying groups and the ten winners qualify automatically. That's all that needs to be drawn at this stage. The exact format thereafter is a matter for decision but the first phase can be drawn without the format for the second stage having been decided.
Could it though? How do they decide who goes into the 5-team groups when they don't know which teams will be in the NL semi-finals until the group stage of the next NL is completed in November 2020? They would need to be able to keep those teams in 5-team groups so they would be able to keep June 2021 free to play in the NL finals that month (presuming they keep the same format as the one just finished). 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:03pm
It's mostly about eliminating friendlies; for that, it has been a great boost.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:06pm

100%, but it could surely have done that without devaluing the Euros and  the World Cup?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:08pm

But we connect the two at all? The NL was been very well received, the only flaw is this confusing and pointless attempt to intertwine it with the Euro qualifiers. Between the ridiculous hosting of this Euros, the choice of hosting the next World Cup and this attempt to make qualifying for these things look like they have been drawn up by the GAA, they are trying their best to make international football as ridiculous as possible. 
I am sure they are making extra money, in the short-term at least.

I disagree to be honest. You wouldn’t have had such competitive games in the Nations Leagues B to D if there wasn’t the allure of qualifying for Euro 2020. I actually think it’s a much better system then allowing 3rd placed teams enter a playoff in a 6 team group. It might be a bit complicated but it’s done no harm to the competitiveness of European international Football. Allowing 2 teams from the Nations League enter a World Cup Playoff does no harm either in my opinion. The 10 runner ups in the normal qualifying still get a playoff spot. In the old system it was 8 best runner ups out of the 9 groups. The the new format is much better in my opinion.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:16pm

100%, but it could surely have done that without devaluing the Euros and  the World Cup?

Without the link to qualifying (beyond the tenuous connection that seeding provides), it makes lower division games less meaningful.

On the other point, they can't do the World Cup draw: I forgot about the fact nations league finalists have to be drawn in groups of five.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:28pm

Without the link to qualifying (beyond the tenuous connection that seeding provides), it makes lower division games less meaningful.

On the other point, they can't do the World Cup draw: I forgot about the fact nations league finalists have to be drawn in groups of five.
Surely the point should be that playing in a higher group gives you a higher ranking and seeding and a better chance of qualifying? Thus getting promoted should be competitive? One of the silliest things about it is having a Group D qualifier for the very obvious reason, as well as the fact that you have teams with less of an interest in the actual qualifiers in favour of the playoffs from the NL. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 4:40pm

Surely the point should be that playing in a higher group gives you a higher ranking and seeding and a better chance of qualifying? Thus getting promoted should be competitive? One of the silliest things about it is having a Group D qualifier for the very obvious reason, as well as the fact that you have teams with less of an interest in the actual qualifiers in favour of the playoffs from the NL. 

Having 6 team groups where the 3rd placed team in the group gets a playoff spot also made qualifying dull in my opinion. The bigger nations basically knew they were qualified less then halfway through. It really was an absolute disgrace that the Dutch couldn’t even get a playoff the more I think about it. Allowing a League D team into the Euros is the only controversial aspect of the Qualifying format but this won’t be used for World Cup Qualifying and Kosovo have already shown they are well and capable of competing with the teams from higher divisions, even Georgia to a lesser extent. To be honest I think there is more merit in getting a playoff spot in winning your Nations League Group than finishing 3rd in a 6 team qualifying group. Sure the majority of the teams who end up in the League A and B playoff path will likely have finished 3rd anyways. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 5:06pm
Agreed, that's why there should only be 16 teams in the Euros. The decision to make it 24 was the first piece of stupidity here.
Kosovo are unlucky in that they are a new member. 

The whole thing really is farcical. I used to laugh at the GAA and their 'back door' but it is far more logical than this mess. It really is a shame as the NL is great, but it is dragging down the Euros as much as it is removing friendlies.

-------------

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 5:34pm

Where did you see there would be 10 groups?
10 group winners + league A winner + league B winner + playoff of league C/D winners is one way of distributing 13 spots.
With us in league C better opportunity than last couple of world cups.

Is is clear what ranking will be used FIFA or UEFA?

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 5:59pm

Agreed, that's why there should only be 16 teams in the Euros. The decision to make it 24 was the first piece of stupidity here.

The whole thing really is farcical. I used to laugh at the GAA and their 'back door' but it is far more logical than this mess. It really is a shame as the NL is great, but it is dragging down the Euros as much as it is removing friendlies.

I agree with you regarding the expansion of the Euros from 16-24 teams. Any format where 3rd placed teams can qualify from a 4 team group is a flawed one. I thought FIFA were correct to expand the World Cup from 24-32 teams for that very reason. 32 is the perfect number for a World Cup and the latest expansion to 48 teams will really dilute the quality of the tournament. The only small positive with the 24 team Euros is I don’t think the Nations League would have worked without the golden carrot of a Euro 2020 playoff spot. It’s a big statement but I really think the Nations League is one of UEFA greatest ever creations. International Football was really bland and lacking for some time now outside of major tournaments. The likes of Spain and Germany would just destroy the likes of Estonia and Lithuania in Euros and World Cup qualifiers or play a rather meaningless friendly that lacked any intensity. The likes of Gibraltar and Armenia realistically have no chance of qualifying and rarely ever win since they’re constantly playing higher ranked sides in qualifiers. The Nations League allows the likes of Spain and Germany to get competitive Fixtures against other top teams outside of tournaments and it also allows the Gibraltar and Armenia’s to play competitive Fixtures against similarly matched opponents. It’s a tournament which I can only see going from strength to strength as years go by.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

10 group winners + league A winner + league B winner + playoff of league C/D winners is one way of distributing 13 spots.
With us in league C better opportunity than last couple of world cups.

Is is clear what ranking will be used FIFA or UEFA?

I think it’s very unlikely League C and D will get a playoff spot for the World Cup. What they’re thinking of doing is having 10 Qualifying groups (5 with 5 teams and 5 with 6 teams) like the Euro 2020 Qualifying format at present but the 10 group winners directly qualify for Qatar 2022 and the 10 runner ups enter the playoffs. The 10 runner ups will be joined by 2 teams from the Nations League which I assume would be the highest ranked teams in League A and B who hadn’t already qualified. The 12 teams will be divided into 3 playoff paths for the last 3 qualifying berths. So just like the Euro 2020 playoffs there would be a one legged semi final and final. All will likely be confirmed in UEFA’s meeting on September 24th.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

I agree with you regarding the expansion of the Euros from 16-24 teams. Any format where 3rd placed teams can qualify from a 4 team group is a flawed one. I thought FIFA were correct to expand the World Cup from 24-32 teams for that very reason. 32 is the perfect number for a World Cup and the latest expansion to 48 teams will really dilute the quality of the tournament. The only small positive with the 24 team Euros is I don’t think the Nations League would have worked without the golden carrot of a Euro 2020 playoff spot. It’s a big statement but I really think the Nations League is one of UEFA greatest ever creations. International Football was really bland and lacking for some time now outside of major tournaments. The likes of Spain and Germany would just destroy the likes of Estonia and Lithuania in Euros and World Cup qualifiers or play a rather meaningless friendly that lacked any intensity. The likes of Gibraltar and Armenia realistically have no chance of qualifying and rarely ever win since they’re constantly playing higher ranked sides in qualifiers. The Nations League allows the likes of Spain and Germany to get competitive Fixtures against other top teams outside of tournaments and it also allows the Gibraltar and Armenia’s to play competitive Fixtures against similarly matched opponents. It’s a tournament which I can only see going from strength to strength as years go by.

I agree on the NL, but my frustration is with the need to mix it in with other tournaments and qualifying events. I really don't see why the carrot was needed. The NL should be about natural progression and regression of teams. So those promoted will then be better seeded and ranked for the qualifying draws. That should be enough of a carrot. 

I don't believe international football had gone stale, or if it had it certainly wasn't anywhere near as stale as the boring carve-up that is elite European club and franchise football, but what makes it interesting, for me at least,  is the meritocratic nature of it. Qualifying a team from the fourth band of nations undermines that in itself, never mind that the status of qualifying games has been diminished somewhat as a result. For example; are Georgia really taking the group seriously when they know they have a genuine shot through the playoffs? Or, having been  beaten by Kazakhstan, are Scotland just trying things out until their playoff?

It makes everything really messy and untidy. Unless there is some sensible and logical progression, a tournament should stand on its own merits.

When you add the ridiculous Euro 2020 schedule and a World Cup in Qatar, it makes you think that even when they have a good idea they make a pig's ear out of it!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

In the first post. It looks like there'll be twelve playoff spots for three places. Thankfully they can play the playoffs in March 2022 because the actual World Cup won't be til December.

Incidentally, they could draw the groups now and have the finals of the Nations League in summer 2022 rather than 2021. Alternatively, they could have the Nations League final in summer 2021, then have the 2022 qualifying groups finish in March 2022, with the playoffs in June 2022. That way there'd be no need to have the Nations League winners in qualifying groups of five.

Of course, that all depends on how long the summer break actually is in 2022; with the World Cup taking about eight weeks out of the calendar through November and December, they'll need to made up somewhere. It'll probably require the season to start a month early and end a month late. The tournament is from 21 November to 18 December, and FIFA regulations only require players to be released on the Monday the week before the tournament starts (I think), in this case 14 November. I'd imagine that'll be lengthened and they'll end regular season games on Sunday 6 November.

I like the playoff format of four teams playing for one place. It makes a playoff much less of a safety net and encourages teams to set out to win the group and not settle for playoff places. Certainly, it should encourage us to want to qualify automatically, rather than relying on a playoff. They are nowhere near the same level of safety net they were previously.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:31pm

I agree on the NL, but my frustration is with the need to mix it in with other tournaments and qualifying events. I really don't see why the carrot was needed. The NL should be about natural progression and regression of teams. So those promoted will then be better seeded and ranked for the qualifying draws. That should be enough of a carrot. 

I don't believe international football had gone stale, or if it had it certainly wasn't anywhere near as stale as the boring carve-up that is elite European club and franchise football, but what makes it interesting, for me at least,  is the meritocratic nature of it. Qualifying a team from the fourth band of nations undermines that in itself, never mind that the status of qualifying games has been diminished somewhat as a result. For example; are Georgia really taking the group seriously when they know they have a genuine shot through the playoffs? Or, having been  beaten by Kazakhstan, are Scotland just trying things out until their playoff?

It makes everything really messy and untidy. Unless there is some sensible and logical progression, a tournament should stand on its own merits.

The only thing about this is that there are still two places from every group for automatic qualification. It should be possible for a third seed or a particularly in form fourth seed to have a realistic shot at qualification, plus forfeiting your qualifiers to experiment in advance of the playoffs is a really high risk strategy for a third seed, where the playoffs are only a one in four shot. Now, if you are Scotland, Georgia, Norway or Macedonia, knowing you have a home playoff in the first game, it is a little different, but not massively so. I don't really think any of them are experimenting or doing anything other than setting out to win in their qualification games.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:38pm
I think teams set out to get a result in every game, even friendlies. People who participate in sports are competitive. The difference is when there is a safety net it doesn't become as important and as soon as you start blurring the lines  between the tournaments and questions can be asked then you have lost something from the Euros. 
I am not suggesting it is a strategy, but the fact that results from another competition can come in to play will impact on the mindset of teams. I am not a fan of that in any way and I think it takes from two competitions.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 7:38pm

I think teams set out to get a result in every game, even friendlies. People who participate in sports are competitive. The difference is when there is a safety net it doesn't become as important and as soon as you start blurring the lines  between the tournaments and questions can be asked then you have lost something from the Euros. 
I am not suggesting it is a strategy, but the fact that results from another competition can come in to play will impact on the mindset of teams. I am not a fan of that in any way and I think it takes from two competitions.

YEah but managers are far more likely to play b temas in friendlies than nations leagues. Also, FA's being forced to play teams around them rather than Oman or Argentina

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 7:50pm

YEah but managers are far more likely to play b temas in friendlies than nations leagues. Also, FA's being forced to play teams around them rather than Oman or Argentina
Are they more likely to play 'B' teams in qualifiers than NL games? My problem isn't the possible answer, but the fact that they question can be taken seriously.

-------------

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 8:46pm
Winners of Leagues C and D in the NL get a place at Euro 2020.
I can’t see the countries in Leagues C and D going along with only League A and B getting a shot at WC qualification.
Why should they miss out on the back door?
FIFA have given UEFA 13 places at WC 2022, so it’s up to UEFA to include Leagues C and D, otherwise they won’t take it seriously,
Leagues C and D have 31 teams, League A and B only have 24, so they could outvote it.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Winners of Leagues C and D in the NL get a place at Euro 2020.
I can’t see the countries in Leagues C and D going along with only League A and B getting a shot at WC qualification.
Why should they miss out on the back door?
FIFA have given UEFA 13 places at WC 2022, so it’s up to UEFA to include Leagues C and D, otherwise they won’t take it seriously,
Leagues C and D have 31 teams, League A and B only have 24, so they could outvote it.

Well it would give an incentive for League C and D teams to continuously strive for promotion to League B and A. The one problem with giving playoff spots to League C and D is it could incentivise teams to get relegated to benefit from an easier playoff path next season. If League A and B only got a playoff spot then it would largely put a stop to that. And the fact that we got relegated from League B and are still almost guaranteed to get a playoff spot highlights the advantages of being in a higher league. In League C and D you are very unlikely to get a playoff spot unless you win your group.

-------------

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 9:27pm
don’t see c and d getting a playoff spot, but would like it to be included somehow (playoff for a playoff where the winner of D plays the winner of C who plays the winner of B for a playoff spot or something like that). 

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

don’t see c and d getting a playoff spot, but would like it to be included somehow (playoff for a playoff where the winner of D plays the winner of C who plays the winner of B for a playoff spot or something like that). 

Playoff for a playoff for a playoff.....that’s UEFA heaven

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 9:44pm
To be fair, we're struggling to qualify for a tournament that top 24 get into. Whatever the format, we're gonna struggle to get to the top 13

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 9:28pm

Incidentally, the qualifying draw is 19th July 2019 according to Wikipedia - that clearly won't be happening nowLOL

Is the 2022 World Cup qualifying draw really on 19 July? I haven’t seen anything about it anywhere.

The preliminary qualifying matches have already started in Asia for 2022, and yet we STILL do not have a logo for Qatar 2022. Kind of implies that somebody isn’t so sure of it going ahead there...

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 9:00am
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Incidentally, the qualifying draw is 19th July 2019 according to Wikipedia - that clearly won't be happening nowLOL

Is the 2022 World Cup qualifying draw really on 19 July? I haven’t seen anything about it anywhere.

The preliminary qualifying matches have already started in Asia for 2022, and yet we STILL do not have a logo for Qatar 2022. Kind of implies that somebody isn’t so sure of it going ahead there...

It was in the official FIFA calendar until a month or so ago but it has vanished from it since then.  The mention of it has also been removed from Wikipedia so it looks like the draw won't now be happening in July.

In any case, as I mentioned in an earlier post, they can't exactly do the draw when they won't know until November 2020 which teams will be playing in the Nations' League Final 4 in June 2021 and would therefore need to be drawn into 5-team groups.

Sure, even if they were able to do the draw next month, we wouldn't be able to book anything immediately with qualifying not starting till March 2021.  Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 12:34pm
Maybe they knew sh*t was about to go down with Platini and they're worried, very worried.

-------------

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 1:03pm
not a hope in hell that qatar will not hold this , if they get shafted they will bring FIFA down with them 

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 1:09pm

Maybe they knew sh*t was about to go down with Platini and they're worried, very worried.

That would be delicious 

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Gerry Geary
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 4:17pm
i see Donny Orange and his beareau bringing the cup to the USA . Along with the Intelligence office people

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

not a hope in hell that qatar will not hold this , if they get shafted they will bring FIFA down with them 

If Qatar were stripped of the 2022 World Cup, it would only be because there was undeniable proof that they had bribed their way to victory. That being the case, how would Qatar have any grounds for a big lawsuit against FIFA?

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 11:52pm
It's not about a lawsuit, it's about the amount of dirt they have on absolutely everyone in FIFA who they bribed or coerced or "persuaded" to get the tournament. Those lads are all out to protect their own backs and a wounded Qatar would be a very dangerous beast. Qatar may be discredited, of course, but they could still take a lot of people down with them.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 11:18pm
With 32 teams in League A and B now it is very likely they'll adopt the format of 12 teams entering a playoff for 3 World Cup spots. 10 group runner ups and 2 teams from the 2020/21 Nation's League.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 11:24pm
Nah, no runners up.

Four winners from League A, four group winners from League B and four group winners from League C, unless otherwise qualified.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 11:30pm

Nah, no runners up.

Four winners from League A, four group winners from League B and four group winners from League C, unless otherwise qualified.

I was referring to the runner ups in the World Cup qualifying groups. 

"For the qualification structure, the  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%9321_UEFA_Nations_League" rel="nofollow - second season of the Nations League  has been partly linked with European qualification for the World Cup, similar to the  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_play-offs" rel="nofollow - UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying play-offs . https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%28UEFA%29#cite_note-2" rel="nofollow - [2]  In the first round, the ten group winners will qualify directly. A possible option for the second round is to add two teams based on their Nations League performance to the 10 group runners-up to make it 12 teams that will play in two knockout stages, from which an additional three teams will also qualify" 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 11:44pm

Nah, no runners up.

"For the qualification structure, the  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%9321_UEFA_Nations_League" rel="nofollow - second season of the Nations League  has been partly linked with European qualification for the World Cup, similar to the  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_play-offs" rel="nofollow - UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying play-offs . https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%28UEFA%29#cite_note-2" rel="nofollow - [2]  In the first round, the ten group winners will qualify directly. A possible option for the second round is to add two teams based on their Nations League performance to the 10 group runners-up to make it 12 teams that will play in two knockout stages, from which an additional three teams will also qualify" 

A possibility only. The next sentence from the Wikipedia entry is key "The format will be finalised during the UEFA Executive Committee session with the union's national teams competitions panel on 24 September 2019 in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ljubljana" rel="nofollow - Ljubljana , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovenia" rel="nofollow - Slovenia ."

However, they did not formalise it today. I assume it will be formalised at some stage before the actual Nations League draw but that could change.

I should have been clearer in my earlier post that I was only hypothesising.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 12:09am

Nah, no runners up.

A possibility only. The next sentence from the Wikipedia entry is key "The format will be finalised during the UEFA Executive Committee session with the union's national teams competitions panel on 24 September 2019 in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ljubljana" rel="nofollow - Ljubljana , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovenia" rel="nofollow - Slovenia ."

However, they did not formalise it today. I assume it will be formalised at some stage before the actual Nations League draw but that could change.

I should have been clearer in my earlier post that I was only hypothesising.

Yes you are correct. It's all guess work at this stage. Be interesting to see how they link it to World Cup qualifying. Personally I would be surprised if the World Cup qualifying group runner ups didn't advance to the playoffs. I think it would be quite controversial to have the Nation's League as the only route to the world cup playoffs. There is less spots on offer in comparison to the Euros

-------------

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 3:31am
Feel like there need to be runners up advancing to a playoffs or the qualifiers would get pretty boring pretty quickly when there's a runaway group winner. UEFA should have more spots than it already has, but that's another discussion. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net