Posted By: The Count
Subject: Womens World Cup
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:38pm
Some really good games so far ClapClapClap

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: shakeyshamrock
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 12:50am
Thought South Africa were a bit hard done by in the game earlier. Spain couldn’t handle their pace first half.

Posted By: Jimmy Raggatip
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 9:30am
can't agree with that. Spain controlled the game and went behind to a fluke

for all that "Spain couldn't handle their pace" - South Africa had one shot in the first half

Spain's problem was that their main striker was never in the box to get on the end of anything, she was forever drifting out wide

red card was probably a bit harsh but result was more than fair in the end

Posted By: Gabrieléire
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 12:38pm
how come women internationals always have so many caps? Always seem to be in the hundreds and have seen a lot over 200. 

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

how come women internationals always have so many caps? Always seem to be in the hundreds and have seen a lot over 200. 

Simply they play a lot more games then the men

The Senior Womens Team competes in the Olympics so I believe there is qualifiers for that, as well as qualifiers for World Cup and for the continental tournaments too.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 12:57pm
I was curious myself, it seems the answer is that they simply play more games! There are fewer club games and more international games and tournaments. It also seems that they start their international careers younger, as a rule, and the oldest competitive underage football is u-19s.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 12:28am
Tight match between USA and Thailand 

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 12:58am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Tight match between USA and Thailand 
It was like Women against LadyBoys.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 5:02pm
Some very good sides in this tournament, standards are clearly improving.....USA, France and Germany look the pick of the bunch so far.

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 5:07pm
Its pure muck

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 5:12pm
Better than womens rugby but still not something I could watch for more than 5 minutes.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Some very good sides in this tournament, standards are clearly improving.....USA, France and Germany look the pick of the bunch so far.
They might be at Under 16 level soon
https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/" rel="nofollow - https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 9:34pm
Nigeria are down to ten men, sorry women 

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Nigeria are down to ten men, sorry women 
ITV2 

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Its pure muck

Bit harsh.
I’ve watched a bit of it, some good matches.
Scot 3-2 Arg on now is a cracker

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 9:45pm
Scotland women doing their best to live up to the record of Scotland men here.

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 9:55pm
Absolute VARce at the end of that.

-------------

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 10:05pm
top top drama. Should have been at least another 5 minutes injury time played. Scots really threw that away

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 10:05pm
Such a Scottish way to go out LOL

(No Offence Ersatz Wink)

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 10:06pm
Were they not already out? They lost the first two games.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

They'd a decent chance of being one of the best 3rd place teams afaik 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

They'd a decent chance of being one of the best 3rd place teams afaik 
Ah right, I assumed they were already out. 

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 10:17pm
Both those teams deserve to be eliminated for their awful choice of jerseys.

What were they both at playing in their awya kits? Argentina basically wore Scotish jerseys Angry

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 10:25pm
When a governing body that cares about the game takes control, the jersey situation has to be top of the list. Advertising has to go. It used to fit into the design, or be made fit in, but it is time to go. 
Third kits need to go.
Second kits to only be used when there is a genuine clash.

The joke’s over.

-------------

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

top top drama. Should have been at least another 5 minutes injury time played. Scots really threw that away
Scottish player after the final whistle:

"A horrible way to go out, but we'll be back, because that's what we do."

Sorry, love, but you're Scottish, that's what you don't do. LOL

Posted By: ErsatzThistle
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:56am
For those of you taking orgasmic delight in our valiant Scots lassies exit from the women's world cup all I have to say is -

Mr Mackay will see you in Slade Prison shortly ....

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

For those of you taking orgasmic delight in our valiant Scots lassies exit from the women's world cup all I have to say is -

Mr Mackay will see you in Slade Prison shortly ....

Aye, even there, being Scottish, he was too useless to actually play, so they made him ref the game instead:

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 5:05pm

-------------

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 6:17pm
I wonder why the Dutch men’s team are very diverse in ethnic make up but the women’s team look like the traditional white and blonde stereotype.

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Terzino
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 7:02pm
Scotland's original away kit was yellow and pink, so the women wearing pink isn't a mile away from tradition. However I do agree that international kits must be made to conform to a proper standard.

On the Scotland Argentina game, the pedantry from the officials, over the keeper taking a step off the line, turned the game into a farce.

The game had everything you'd want, and a heroic penalty save was the icing on the cake. It didn't need the officials taking over and creating a massive anti-climax.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Scotland's original away kit was yellow and pink, so the women wearing pink isn't a mile away from tradition. However I do agree that international kits must be made to conform to a proper standard.

On the Scotland Argentina game, the pedantry from the officials, over the keeper taking a step off the line, turned the game into a farce.

The game had everything you'd want, and a heroic penalty save was the icing on the cake. It didn't need the officials taking over and creating a massive anti-climax.
Lord Roseberry's racing colours, I believe. He was an early patron of the SFA.

-------------

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 11:58pm
Chile blew their chance at a knockout spot. Missing a penalty in the last few mins to put them through as one of the best 3rd place sides. Shocker of a penalty against a keeper who looked a quarter the size of the goals.

VAR in this one taking minutes again to give what was a clear penalty. It is baffling how they are making the system such a farce. 

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 12:02pm
That Steph Houghton is just a female version of James Milner

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:45pm
Neville would want to learn how to control his players. Hans must have enjoyed the VAR decision there, only took a month!

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:05pm

Neville would want to learn how to control his players. Hans must have enjoyed the VAR decision there, only took a month!

Did you think it was the right decision?
I don’t think it was a peno - she ran into her leg.
And she should have finished with her left leg.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Did you think it was the right decision?
I don’t think it was a peno - she ran into her leg.
And she should have finished with her left leg.
I could watch it another million times and still not see the foul! The referee was awful though, nothing would have helped her.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:08pm
Accidental clash of legs preventing a goal is still a peno no?

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:08pm
No matter how many times they slowed that replay down, I don't think it was conclusive enough to give a penalty tbh. 

USA deserved to win anyway.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:09pm

VAR in it's current guise is an abomination. 

The English penalty (which is clearly a penalty when seen from a couple of angles) - I have a few issues here.

- it took how long? Once they had the couple of angles showing the contact, how did it take that long to make such a clear call?

- it's a red card. There is no attempt to play the ball. It is as clear a red card as you will see. Once the penalty is given it is a woeful decision to give a yellow. Disgraceful decision from an English point of view.

- correct me if I'm wrong here, but if the USA hadn't made a substitute when England were claiming the foul for the penalty, the penalty would never have been given. The ref was waving it away saying nothing to see here, and the keeper was about to kick the ball out from the goal kick, until the USA made that sub. The VAR setup is a comedy at this stage LOL

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:14pm
She ran into the back of her leg as the White is about to tap the ball in from 6 yards. A simple tap in. The US defender knows what's she's doing. She's in a last ditch attempt to get anywhere near the player or the ball, and she is never ever getting there. She knows England are going to equalise. Can't believe anyone would see this any other way. Is it because they are women that people think that cynicism isn't there? If that exact situation happened in a men's game nobody would question a penalty and a red card being given.

It is a clear penalty. It is also a clear red card as there no genuine attempt to play the ball. 

-------------

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:17pm
A very soft pen. (And brutal pen to follow up)

Double punishment is gone no? So if decision is penalty then it’s correct to award a yellow. 

Ref was poor overall. 
USA the better side.
Jonathon Pearce is very Partridge-esque 

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Double punishment is gone no? So if decision is penalty then it’s correct to award a yellow. 

Ref was poor overall. 
USA the better side.

Pearce is and always was a ****ish commentator. Cannot stand his ott enthusiasm.Dead

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:22pm
Double punishment is only gone if there is a genuine attempt to play the ball. Once the decision to give the penalty was made, the only colour card possible to give was a red. As there was clearly no genuine attempt to play the ball, so dogso doesn't account for giving a yellow there.

Also there are clear angles that shows she runs into the back of Whites legs as she's about to tap the ball in. It's as cynical a play as you'd see from a CB. Very smart though as it's amazing how often that is gotten away with.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:25pm

Ref was poor overall. 
USA the better side.
Not quite; a deliberate foul preventing a clear goal scoring opportunity should still be a red. I don’t see how that could be given here. 
Having watched it again on the news I don’t see how that was a penalty.

In fact, it was an appalling decision. The worst decision ever, or since the weekend.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:29pm
How can you not see the contact? She runs straight into the back of Whites right leg, with her right knee. It's cynical as she's never getting near the ball and she knows it. It's clear on the replays, I'm not sure what lads are looking at?

From there it's a penalty and a red card.

Btw I had no dog in this race. Can't stand either team really. Hope the Dutch win it out. England got shafted that the US weren't down to 10 for the last 10-15 mins though.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:31pm

Defo a peno

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:38pm

Ref was poor overall. 
USA the better side.
Not quite; a deliberate foul preventing a clear goal scoring opportunity should still be a red. I don’t see how that could be given here. 
Having watched it again on the news I don’t see how that was a penalty.

Thumbs Up

VAR is a raging success anyway, I’d be 99.3% sure I enjoyed football more without it 

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:01am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Ref was poor overall. 
USA the better side.

Pearce is and always was a ****ish commentator. Cannot stand his ott enthusiasm.Dead

Hes f*ckin desperate. With 10 seconds to go he spouted some bollox about the "football gods" bringing some luck to England LOL

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:02am
PM can I ask you your general take on penalties being awarded. Do you only believe that a penalty should be given if a player is scythed down in the box? Do you also believe that anytime a player over eggs the extent of the foul, that it's not a penalty? Reading your comments on this penalty decision and previous ones, it seems this way.

In the game tonight imo, the English player is clearly fouled from behind. The US player just runs into the back of her in desperation to stop an almost certain goal. No attempt to play the ball and clear contact. It was a penalty and a red card.

The English player hams up the contact then to make sure it's noticed, as they all do because they know otherwise the plebian referees won't even look at such a call. So the English player clearly exaggerated the foul. It is a clear foul at the same time though and a very cynical one by the US defender.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:11am
All this thread needs now is Territorial

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:14am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

All this thread needs now is Territorial

And Crap Senior LOL

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 6:08am
First bit of this WC I've watched and the 4 goals, including the disallowed goal, were excellent. If we had scored them we'd be hailing a new dawn for Irish football under Mick.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 6:15am
Also, the whinging about the drinking tea celebration from some of the pundits was embarrassingly pathetic.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

PM can I ask you your general take on penalties being awarded. Do you only believe that a penalty should be given if a player is scythed down in the box? Do you also believe that anytime a player over eggs the extent of the foul, that it's not a penalty? Reading your comments on this penalty decision and previous ones, it seems this way.

In the game tonight imo, the English player is clearly fouled from behind. The US player just runs into the back of her in desperation to stop an almost certain goal. No attempt to play the ball and clear contact. It was a penalty and a red card.

The English player hams up the contact then to make sure it's noticed, as they all do because they know otherwise the plebian referees won't even look at such a call. So the English player clearly exaggerated the foul. It is a clear foul at the same time though and a very cynical one by the US defender.
Hans, can I ask you a question; why do you care what I think? I don’t even care what so think!

-------------

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 8:26am
on a side note the one beside gabby Logan was quite pleasant on the eye

(It was a defo penalty) 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 8:52am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Also, the whinging about the drinking tea celebration from some of the pundits was embarrassingly pathetic.
LOLIt’s ridiculous alright

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 9:36am

Ha what exactly was their problem with it? Saw it as a slight on the glorious Lionesses, was it? I actually thought she was pretending to smoke a reefer for a second...maybe that's the plan if she scores against the Dutch in the final!

As for the penalty, I'm surprised people are so vehement in their views about it - I watched it the 100 odd times it was shown and still couldn't be 100% sure either way. Definitely didn't fancy being in the ref's shoes for that wan. In the end I thought it probably was the right call - penalty and a yellow. Because of the almost synchronised movement of their legs it was very hard to see the actual contact, but there probably was just enough to knock an off balance player off the ball. In fact it was almost Ramos-esque in it's execution. Also the US player didn't seem to have any real issue with it being given which was also pretty telling.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 10:14am
You should go to specsavers Dev. 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 10:19am

LOL

It was great. 

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Ha what exactly was their problem with it? Saw it as a slight on the glorious Lionesses, was it? I actually thought she was pretending to smoke a reefer for a second...maybe that's the plan if she scores against the Dutch in the final!

As for the penalty, I'm surprised people are so vehement in their views about it - I watched it the 100 odd times it was shown and still couldn't be 100% sure either way. Definitely didn't fancy being in the ref's shoes for that wan. In the end I thought it probably was the right call - penalty and a yellow. Because of the almost synchronised movement of their legs it was very hard to see the actual contact, but there probably was just enough to knock an off balance player off the ball. In fact it was almost Ramos-esque in it's execution. Also the US player didn't seem to have any real issue with it being given which was also pretty telling.
That’s how I saw it, although with a different conclusion. The English player should have scored anyway. It seemed like she wanted the contact more than an unmissable opportunity.

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:15pm
Never a penalty.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Never a penalty.

The Yank clipped the English players heel as she was about to shot. Thats a peno all day, all night and for life everlasting. Amen. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:24pm
That was a great game of ball last night. Both teams went for it. On another note.....Alex Morgan Heart

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 1:09pm
Jaysus when this is finally over they be all heading home to some amount of washing 

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Never a penalty.

The Yank clipped the English players heel as she was about to shot. Thats a peno all day, all night and for life everlasting. Amen. 

I took about two replays to come to that conclusion, how it's debatable I'm not sure, if someone said that it was an accidental coming together then yeah I could believe that, but she was gonna score. If a player falls over on the line and the ball hit the hand it would be a penalty 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Was watching it on Bein and can't remember the name of the guest but she's an ex-England player and she was raging with it. Calling it offensive LOL  

It was that bizarre that I thought she was joking at first.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 2:31pm
Re the penalty, I agree it was marginal and couldn't have blamed the ref had she not given it.

But everyone is looking towards the English player's movement etc to try to determine whether it was a penalty (naturally enough).

Whereas with the replays from behind the players, if you looked for the American player's movement, she too was clearly affected by the contact i.e. she was knocked off course as well (albeit v.slightly).

So imo a penalty, just.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 3:12pm
It's a clear penalty. Her knee clips the heel of the English striker as she's about to score. When you are lining up to kick a ball like that, any clip from behind will totally put you off your stride. It's the defenders duty to not run into the back of the attacking player in such a scenario, so even if she was thick enough to run into the back of her accidentally it's still a penalty.

Imo though it's very cynical by the USA player. These are elite level players, she knows exactly what's she's doing there and she's just hoping to get away with it. It's a clear red card as well. Big mistake made by the referee there.

Btw if that's not a penalty in some people's eyes, then what is an actual penalty? Any slight clips of the heels won't warrant a foul in the box, especially if the fouled party exaggerates the fouled party - is that where we are now? Very strange times. It's like people are so conditioned by their reactions to people diving that they won't believe someone is fouled unless they are laid out in an absolute heap on the pitch.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 3:22pm
Btw, 10 million viewers on the BBC last night and a peak of 320k on RTE2

Looks like the women's game has well and truly arrived

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 3:39pm

Btw, 10 million viewers on the BBC last night

Second highest TV audience in the UK this year, behind only "Line of Duty" (final episode, I presume).

I think the Lionesses should appoint Ted Hastings as manager instead of Phil Neville - he'd soon have them sucking diesel, that's for sure...

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 3:48pm

Never a penalty.

It’s a no for me MC.

Free kick out would have been the correct call.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Btw, 10 million viewers on the BBC last night

Second highest TV audience in the UK this year, behind only "Line of Duty" (final episode, I presume).

I think the Lionesses should appoint Ted Hastings as manager instead of Phil Neville - he'd soon have them sucking diesel, that's for sure...

Big smile

I would imagine women's football is here to stay and those audiences are not a fluke. It's already the most popular spectator sport in the world. This tournament will probably be a massive boost to the game in the UK and Ireland in terms of getting girls interested in playing.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 3:49pm

I arrived myself a few times this tournament looking at Alex Morgan Heart

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 3:55pm
10 million viewers, unbelievable. Especially as Love Island was on at the same time.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:10pm

w**ker

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:11pm

Never a penalty.

It’s a no for me MC.

Free kick out would have been the correct call.

Everyone around to Bennys gaff for a tennis ball protest when he walks out the front door. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:17pm
A free out when the striker is fouled and about to tap the ball in from 6 odd yards out LOL f*cking hell

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:19pm
Btw, did anyone on BBC or rte last night ask why the USA defender wasn't sent off? 

-------------

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:26pm

Btw, did anyone on BBC or rte last night ask why the USA defender wasn't sent off? 

BBC mentioned it in commentary, you can't be sent off for a foul that leads to a penalty unless it's obviously intended to stop a goal, has been in place for a few years. No way she could have been sent off for that, happened in a split second.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:26pm

"Players who commit a foul to deny a goalscoring opportunity will no longer automatically be sent off, football's rule-making body has confirmed.

The previous 'triple-punishment' rule required a red card - and therefore a suspension - as well as the award of a penalty under those circumstances.

However, players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance will now be cautioned instead.

But deliberate fouls will still incur a red card.

Those include holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball in order to deny a goalscoring opportunity."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36047575" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36047575

I imagine the ref concluded that the American didn't commit any of the offences outlined in bold, i.e. brushing against an opponent in open play does not constitute "serious foul play" or "violent conduct"?

(Though I personally still have difficulty with the concept of an "accidental foul", but that's an argument for another day)

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:33pm
It was ungentlemanly conduct

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:35pm

Now, now, we'll have none of that sexism here.

It was unladylike.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:35pm

It was unladylike.

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:42pm

It was unladylike.

Yip, that was the joke

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:50pm
Weather must be piss poor in portugal

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

BBC mentioned it in commentary, you can't be sent off for a foul that leads to a penalty unless it's obviously intended to stop a goal, has been in place for a few years. No way she could have been sent off for that, happened in a split second.

No intent to play the ball. It's exactly what dogso is in place for. If the penalty is given that has to be a red card.

Maybe I'm the only one who would interpret that as a definite intentional foul by the USA defender. Which is very strange. I'm sure that if that was a men's match every one would look at that and think the defender knows exactly what he's doing in that scenario. It's very cynical by the defender.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Weather must be piss poor in portugal

I'm home now, it was great 27/28 degrees, quite the opposite of piss poor.

Still very interested in my whereabouts I see LOL

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 5:04pm
Yip,  that was the joke Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 6:11pm

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 1:17pm
Was a crap game last night. Nice goal all the same 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net