Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56997
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 10:39pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Overrated Goals
Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Subject: Overrated Goals
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:51am
Saw a tweet were a man was naming his top 3 over rated goals of all time. They were Beckham against Wimbledon, Van Persie's header against Spain and Beckham's free kick against Greece. .
One that I always thought was over rated was a Ronaldo free kick at home to Portsmouth. It won goal of the season that year I think.

Replies:
Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:01pm
i think beckhams against greece was top notch , it was the last minutes of a do or die game and he delivered , 

pretty much all of ronaldos frees against also ran teams were lauded as the best goal ever. 

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:05pm
Beckham's free kick against Greece 100%, Mo Salah's Puskas award winner last year.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:14pm
For some reason, I've never thought Zidanes goal for Real Madrid v Bayer Leverkusen in the 2002 Champions League final is as good as it's made out to be. I know his technique was excellent but it just does nothing for me. Maybe it's the 1/2 dive from the keeper or the stupid looking green nets they used.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:16pm
Also, Gareth Bales goal in last years Champions League final, total fluke.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Beckham's free kick against Greece 100%, Mo Salah's Puskas award winner last year.

Spot on, forgot about that. A shot from inside the box

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

For some reason, I've never thought Zidanes goal for Real Madrid v Bayer Leverkusen in the 2002 Champions League final is as good as it's made out to be. I know his technique was excellent but it just does nothing for me. Maybe it's the 1/2 dive from the keeper or the stupid looking green nets they used.

Abso-bloody-exactly

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

i think beckhams against greece was top notch , it was the last minutes of a do or die game and he delivered , 

pretty much all of ronaldos frees against also ran teams were lauded as the best goal ever. 

Beckham's would have been top-notch if that wasn't his fifth or sixth free-kick from similar range in the match!  Similar to Wilkinson's 'heroics' in the rugby. 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:43pm
The Andrea Schurrle goal at Burnley this season was over rated.
Good goal but not a goal of the season contender.

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

The Andrea Schurrle goal at Burnley this season was over rated.
Good goal but not a goal of the season contender.
LOLLOL

I thought the exact same watching MOTD on Sunday night. Good goal alright but not a goal of the season contender.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:07pm
Geoff Hurst's third goal in the 1966 world cup final. It looks spectacular and it's an iconic piece of commentary, but he's admitted it was very lucky.

"With the famous fourth goal, his thinking was he'd just hit it as hard as possible ... You can see him looking up. ... he admitted hitting the back of the net was the last thing on his mind."

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:02pm

Saw a tweet were a man was naming his top 3 over rated goals of all time. They were Beckham against Wimbledon, Van Persie's header against Spain and Beckham's free kick against Greece. .
One that I always thought was over rated was a Ronaldo free kick at home to Portsmouth. It won goal of the season that year I think.

Ah away to f**k out of that, that was a brilliant goal.

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:07pm
Di Canio's scissorkick for West Ham.

Shane Longs goal versus Germany. It luckily bounced up from the ground into his shin otherwise he would have lost control. Good shot though.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:10pm
George Weah vs Verona, 100% should have lost the ball at the halfway line

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:37pm
I'm not having Di Canio or Weah. Both brilliant goals.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:40pm

I'm not having Di Canio or Weah. Both brilliant goals.
Or Van Persie. That was sensational.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:47pm
As was the (admittedly arguably offside) goal in 2013 in the game that won the league, where he volleyed it from over his shoulder from 30-odd yards, from Rooney's pass. I think it West Ham and the game finished 3-0. I think it was the first goal.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:49pm
It was Bruce Millington the editor of the racing post and Palace fan who gave those 3, Beckham (2) and Van Persie.
Don't agree that any of them were over rated TBH.
He said he just had to stick his head on the ball for the Van Persie one

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:01pm
I think they two Beckham ones were, not that they weren't good goals, just that they were was more hype because of who scored them. Any goal from the halfway line is excellent, but there have been better goals from that distance. Everything that Beckham did was a bit like that though, even if he was an excellent player.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:08pm
Free kick v Greece was brilliant and don't think it's overrated but I think the goal v Wimbledon is. Obviously it was an excellent goal but it's not at the level people make it out to be.

Cantona's goal v Sunderland where he chipped the keeper (think it was Lionel Perez) in about 1996 or 97 is very overrated. It's always on those best Premier League goals lists

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:24pm

Free kick v Greece was brilliant and don't think it's overrated but I think the goal v Wimbledon is. Obviously it was an excellent goal but it's not at the level people make it out to be.

Cantona's goal v Sunderland where he chipped the keeper (think it was Lionel Perez) in about 1996 or 97 is very overrated. It's always on those best Premier League goals lists

He had a few goes at the free-kick though. I remember watching it and thinking about f**king time he got one!

I always felt that Adam and Beckford scored better, Rob Lee's scored a belter on David Forde from halfway at a game I was at.  I also remember Stankovic scoring a wonderful volley from a similar distance. Nayim's is the king though. I just watched it again and it was much further in, but the technique, timing and significance make it underrated.

Cantona's goal appears because of the celebration as much as the goal. Simply brilliant and part of the reason why he is widely loved. I thought he was a very overrated player, I never felt he was world class,or even near it, but he is one of my favourite footballers.

As I am here, I always thought Gazza's goal against Scotland wasn't as good as made out.

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Ah away to f**k out of that, that was a brilliant goal.

Clap

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He had a few goes at the free-kick though. I remember watching it and thinking about f**king time he got one!

I always felt that Adam and Beckford scored better, Rob Lee's scored a belter on David Forde from halfway at a game I was at.  I also remember Stankovic scoring a wonderful volley from a similar distance. Nayim's is the king though. I just watched it again and it was much further in, but the technique, timing and significance make it underrated.

Cantona's goal appears because of the celebration as much as the goal. Simply brilliant and part of the reason why he is widely loved. I thought he was a very overrated player, I never felt he was world class,or even near it, but he is one of my favourite footballers.

As I am here, I always thought Gazza's goal against Scotland wasn't as good as made out.

Isn't that the one where the keeper headed it, it came to him, and he arched his body sideways and smacked it back at a perfect trajectory? I think it might even have went in without hitting the ground, which made it all the sweeter.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:58pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhp1kWe1wMI" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhp1kWe1wMI

Yup, that was it.

I love how this thread has actually turned into a celebration of magnificent goals rather than denigration of mediocre ones.

-------------

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:22pm
Ibrahimovic v England is overrated in my opinion

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:23pm
There's an element of luck about all spectacular long shots/volleys in that most of the time they won't come off, and any professsional footballer has the ability to pluck one out of the very top drawer. 

There was nothing inherently better about Zidane's goal against Bayer Leverkusen than there was, say, about Darren Barnard's spectacular left footed volley in Barnsley's 7-1 win over Huddersfield in November 1998. 

Yet nobody ever lists Barnard's goal as one of the greatest of all time.

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:24pm

Abso-bloody-exactly

Ah lads, it was astonishing as the ball was lobbed over so took an age to come down. The technical skill in hitting it so accurately with his weaker foot was fantastic. 
I'm biased because I saw it live, but even still, given the occasion it was a marvelous goal.

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:28pm
The Beckham one against Wimbledon was a bit over-rated in that it got a lot more hype than other similar goals from the halfway line have got (Rooney's against West Ham spring to mind)

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

Abso-bloody-exactly

Ah lads, it was astonishing as the ball was lobbed over so took an age to come down. The technical skill in hitting it so accurately with his weaker foot was fantastic. 
I'm biased because I saw it live, but even still, given the occasion it was a marvelous goal.
Darren Barnard's was better

Only the greats can do what Barnard did

-------------

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

Abso-bloody-exactly

Agreed. One of the last goals I ever expected to see appear on a thread about overrated goals! As you say the technical difficulty to achieve what he did was phenomenal. Not to mention doing it in a CL final.

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:42pm
To be popular

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:43pm

Better than Zidane's anyway

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:52pm
Just had a look at Zidane's goal in 2002

It was a shinny

Overrated film nomination:  That "documentary" which follows Zidane around for the entirety of a match

sh*t plot

sh*t dialogue

sh*t production values

sh*t everything

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 5:12pm
Excellent soundtrack.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

There's an element of luck about all spectacular long shots/volleys in that most of the time they won't come off, and any professsional footballer has the ability to pluck one out of the very top drawer. 

There was nothing inherently better about Zidane's goal against Bayer Leverkusen than there was, say, about Darren Barnard's spectacular left footed volley in Barnsley's 7-1 win over Huddersfield in November 1998. 

The difference with Barnard is that his was always less likely to come off and has more of the hairy arsed chancer about it.

Any duffer can swing their foot at a ball in the hope of doing the spectacular. For the chancer, it comes off rarely and is closer to luck than absolute skill. However, for Zidane, it was always much more likely to come off. It's the combination of imagination and technique that makes a good goal; a goal from a player who repeatedly demonstrates imagination and technique is more admirable than one from a hairy arsed chancer who hits a ball a thwallop and gets lucky one time in a hundred.

That's why, I suppose, Ronaldo free kicks are not really that impressive; it's a volume thing. However, the Zidane goal was a thing of beauty. He had the imagination to try and the technique to pull it off, in the Champions League final. If he'd done it in a pre-season friendly for Huddersfield, we wouldn't be talking about it.

The best goals are the one where you see the audacity in the split second before the ball is hit and almost have two phases of disbelief; the first is where you realise the player is going to try the spectacular *in the circumstances of the game* and the second is where they actually achieve the spectacular.

That two phase realisation applies to either of the van Persie goals spoken of, to the Stankovic goal (you can see the body arching before he hits the ball) and to plenty of others. It doesn't quite apply to a lad not renowned for brilliance swinging his boot at the ball in an absolute risk-free environment when his team are already 5-0 up in the first half.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 7:48pm

The difference with Barnard is that his was always less likely to come off and has more of the hairy arsed chancer about it.

Any duffer can swing their foot at a ball in the hope of doing the spectacular. For the chancer, it comes off rarely and is closer to luck than absolute skill. However, for Zidane, it was always much more likely to come off. It's the combination of imagination and technique that makes a good goal; a goal from a player who repeatedly demonstrates imagination and technique is more admirable than one from a hairy arsed chancer who hits a ball a thwallop and gets lucky one time in a hundred.

That's why, I suppose, Ronaldo free kicks are not really that impressive; it's a volume thing. However, the Zidane goal was a thing of beauty. He had the imagination to try and the technique to pull it off, in the Champions League final. If he'd done it in a pre-season friendly for Huddersfield, we wouldn't be talking about it.
Barnard's goal was technically superior to Zidane's

It was a harder volley than Zidane's as Barnard had to run into position on a faster moving diagonal ball - Zidane had at least four or five seconds in a standing position with no pressure on him - and Zidane shinned his - Barnard didn't

With volleys you can directly compare technical difficulty in a way you can't with dribbled goals

With volleys the status of the match is irrelevant - you can easily get a more technically difficult volley being scored in a match of less status

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:08pm

As was the (admittedly arguably offside) goal in 2013 in the game that won the league, where he volleyed it from over his shoulder from 30-odd yards, from Rooney's pass. I think it West Ham and the game finished 3-0. I think it was the first goal.

I thought his goal vs Everton for Arsenal was better. Similar pass and volley but a wider angle.

His volley against Charlton for Arsenal was his best goal, ridiculous technique.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: bundy
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:27pm
Lads honestly I’d say half of you have never kicked a ball in your lives if you’re calling 90% of the goals mentioned over rated.

Zidane’s volley was simply incredible and is up there with the best I’ve ever seen.

Beckham vs Wimbledon was a ridiculous goal. He was 20 and playing under Ferguson and he had the balls to try that. Ferguson would have eaten the balls off him if it dropped short or ended up in the stand. The technique of that strike is brilliant and I can’t have it that it’s overrated.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:29pm
Shearer’s volley (Was it against Everton?)

Someone mentioned Cantona’s chip against Sunderland, have to disagree. Sheer brilliance made even more famous for the celebration.

Alot of Puskas winners/nominations are severely overrated

Posted By: bundy
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Shearer’s volley (Was it against Everton?)

Someone mentioned Cantona’s chip against Sunderland, have to disagree. Sheer brilliance made even more famous for the celebration.

Alot of Puskas winners/nominations are severely overrated

The easiest way to identify whether a goal is overrated or not is think to yourself how many of those goals do you repeated? Once a week? Once a month? Once a season?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen another player hit a ball as sweetly as Shearer’s goal against Everton. Perhaps Rooney against Newcastle a couple of years later but I still think Shearer’s was better. I can’t remember a similar goal like it since. An unbelievable goal.

Same with Zidane in 2002. 

Cantona’s goal was brilliant but yeah it’s more likely to be remembered for the celebration than the actual goal. There have been plenty similar goals scored in the league since.

Top 3 NOT over rated goals in the Premier League for me:

1) Shearer volley vs Everton 

2) Henry vs Man Utd at highbury (the flick and swivel outside the box)

3) Rooney volley vs Newcastle

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:06pm
Top 5 goals in the Greed is Good league

5th) Bergkamp vs Leicester
4th) Di Canio vs Wimbledon
3rd) Le Tissier vs Newcastle (2nd one, class celebration, or lack of one)
2nd)Le Tissier  vs Manchester United
1st) Le Tissier vs Blackburn

-------------

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I thought his goal vs Everton for Arsenal was better. Similar pass and volley but a wider angle.

His volley against Charlton for Arsenal was his best goal, ridiculous technique.

Fully agree, I love that goal. I'd put it up there with the very best in PL history, perfect connection at a very difficult height.

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:25pm

Le Tissier scored beautiful goals. I'm sure theres a compilation on YouTube 

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:27pm
Clearly the best goal ever scored in the Premier League is John Barnes versus Blackburn at Ewood Park in October 1994

One for the scrapbook

-------------

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Did he ever just score a 2-yard tap-in? Just about every goal that lad scored seemed to be a worldie. LOLClap

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 17 May 2019 at 6:21am
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Fully agree, I love that goal. I'd put it up there with the very best in PL history, perfect connection at a very difficult height.

I still have no idea why Eboue crossed the ball in when he did, there were no Arsenal players near the box at the time, makes the technique involved all the more impressive.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: ChesterCopperpot
Date Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:33am
Always thought that Rooneys overhead against City was overrated
Great timing and an important goal, but he shinned it in

Date Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:36am

I'd put the goal against Newcastle number one. The 2 he got that day could be top 5. Actually think the one against Blackburn is overrated slightly. Still show my class every year a compilation of his best goals. They be in awe!

Date Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:38am
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Had a video as a kid of every goal he scored up till 1996. Watched it on a daily basis. Unreal. Hes the reason I follow Southampton

Date Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:49am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

I'd put the goal against Newcastle number one. The 2 he got that day could be top 5. Actually think the one against Blackburn is overrated slightly. Still show my class every year a compilation of his best goals. They be in awe!
It’s the way he beats the two men against Blackburn, he is barely walking and he turns them inside out.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:00pm
Was the who was better Matt Le Tissier or Carlton Palmer feud ever decided?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4930522/Carlton-Palmer-deserved-caps-Matt-Le-Tissier.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4930522/Carlton-Palmer-deserved-caps-Matt-Le-Tissier.html

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Was the who was better Matt Le Tissier or Carlton Palmer feud ever decided?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4930522/Carlton-Palmer-deserved-caps-Matt-Le-Tissier.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4930522/Carlton-Palmer-deserved-caps-Matt-Le-Tissier.html

always thought Le tissier was better than Gascoigne and England would of had a better record  if he had been their main man

Fair play to his loyality but the flip side maybe was lack of ambition/drive

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:26pm
One of the strangest decisions was Hoddle, of all people, ignoring him for England!
I wonder will we ever see a player like him again due to the systematic nature of the game now. 

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:37pm
One of the readers comments after that article.No idea if it was true or the reasons behind it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/registration/1387806638419412/mash/profile.html" rel="nofollow - mash , Southampton, United Kingdom, 2 years ago

The only flaw in that argument is that neither of the two names you mention were selected to go to Fance in 98. It was nothing short of ridiculous that Le Tiss didn't get selected for that tournament. This more a reflection on Hoddle's personal grudge against him than anything else.

Date Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:40pm
It is, it was bizarre. Le Tissier talks about regularly, he tells a great story about buying Hoddle and his partner a drink during a heated argument between the couple in a posh hotel in Hampshire. Hoddle hadn’t spotted Le Tissier in the corner.

-------------

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:50pm

It is, it was bizarre. Le Tissier talks about regularly, he tells a great story about buying Hoddle and his partner a drink during a heated argument between the couple in a posh hotel in Hampshire. Hoddle hadn’t spotted Le Tissier in the corner.

Was this later on in the night?

Date Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Was this later on in the night?
If I remember right, Le Tissier’s partner said that woman isn’t happy, he turned around and realised she was with Hoddle and thought it would be funny to send them a bottle of wine.LOL

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 17 May 2019 at 2:00pm

One of the strangest decisions was Hoddle, of all people, ignoring him for England!
I wonder will we ever see a player like him again due to the systematic nature of the game now. 

One of my all time favourite players.
We will never see a ‘luxury player’ like him again.
I’d say he ran maybe 2/3 k’s in a match.

This article from 365 sums him up brilliant

https://www.football365.com/news/portrait-of-an-icon-matthew-le-tissier" rel="nofollow - https://www.football365.com/news/portrait-of-an-icon-matthew-le-tissier

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2019 at 2:04pm

Glenn Hoddle is a religious conservative and doesn't like homosexuality but when he saw Le Tissier sitting on his own in the corner he couldn't help but make a pass at him

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2019 at 9:07am
Anthony Martials debut goal for United against Liverpool

Date Posted: 18 May 2019 at 10:37am

Glenn Hoddle is a religious conservative and doesn't like homosexuality but when he saw Le Tissier sitting on his own in the corner he couldn't help but make a pass at him
That  makes no sense. 

-------------

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 18 May 2019 at 11:55am

twas against the villa

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:03pm
SuperDave Cameron.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2019 at 3:57pm
Hah, very good. I couldn't remember which one it was. I knew it was one or the other.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net