Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56995
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 12:11am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Premier League 19/20 Season
Posted By: Green Devil
Subject: Premier League 19/20 Season
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:12am
The betting markets are already up and Powers have City as 8/13 favourites. Liverpool are 13/5 second favourites and you’re looking at 14/1 + for any of the rest.

Wouldn’t surprise if those two teams are fighting it out for the next 2/3 seasons.

No doubt Pep will be eyeing the CL, another forward player might be brought on as it’s nearly impossible to win all around you with only 2 out and out strikers. Aguero is pushing 31 this year also!

I think Liverpool will definitely need a creative midfielder and maybe one other key signing. Klopp might look at rotating a bit more then as we’re likely to have seen the end of Sturridge, Mignolet, Moreno etc (Players he’s not fully trusting of) 

Chelsea will likely use Abraham, Mount, Zouma etc especially if the transfer ban will be uphold! It might not be any harm as their season reignited when Hudson-Odi and Loftus Cheek started to get game time. 

Arsenal’s small budget, United seemingly in transition (again) and how much will Levy give Poch to spend! Should be a fascinating summer!

It’ll be good to have Sheffield United and Norwich back up, Farke and Wilder are good characters too that will add a bit more flair to the league.

Who joins them? Leeds vs Villa would be an epic clash in the play off final 

Replies:
Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:30am
I could see next season being Aguero's last.
City are going to have to start looking for a replacement sooner or later.

Agree that Liverpool will look to strengthen midfield with a creative player or two. Maybe another centre half and get rid of Lovren? They're linked with Timo Werner today too. A better replacement striker than Sturridge would be good for them too.

Looks to be between these two next season again. Tottenham are 3 or 4 players short of being consistent enough to challenge.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I could see next season being Aguero's last.
City are going to have to start looking for a replacement sooner or later.

Agree that Liverpool will look to strengthen midfield with a creative player or two. Maybe another centre half and get rid of Lovren? They're linked with Timo Werner today too. A better replacement striker than Sturridge would be good for them too.

Looks to be between these two next season again. Tottenham are 3 or 4 players short of being consistent enough to challenge.

Gabriel Jesus?

I don't think he will ever be good enough for a top side.

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:22pm
They'll need a replacement whether Jesus is good enough or not, one striker isn't enough.
At the minute he's not in Aguero's class

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:53pm
A lot of paper talk that Pep wants to bring in at least 4 players

Ben Chilwell at left back

Rodri in midfield

Houssem Aouar attacking mid

Luka Jovic- striker

Think a cb will also be on the list too

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 1:15pm
City need more strengthening than Liverpool IMO. If not for next season, then more so for the season or 2 after it. The age of Liverpool's key players compared to City's suggests that Liverpool's requirements are much less urgent.

Could do with a new LB (Zinchenko is a decent option, but primarily as a back-up. Should cut their losses with Mendy).

Couple of CB's with Kompany and Otamendi seemingly on the way out.

2nd choice striker (who may actually play a lot more than expected if Aguero picks up a big injury, and the fact he's in his 30's).

Replacement for David Silva, Fernandinho, and another option to De Bruyne as you don't know what his injury record will be like next season.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 1:25pm
All the top 6 need players but with the current transfer market I’d be surprised if anyone makes 3/4 significant signings.

The fees being asked will be massive.

It’s definitely between Man City and Liverpool again. 
The others have a big gap to close.

-------------

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Rodri in midfield

not sure if FCUM will let him go , also he has a good number with paddy power

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 1:50pm
I'm only interested in whether Rafa stays at Newcastle.

The fact Mike Ashley held a team meeting in a Wetherspoons during Happy Hour and made the players pay for their own meal can't have gone down well but 2 weeks later he breaks their Transfer record, it don't end there either!  
The latest gaffe being on Sunday he promised everyone a trip to Vegas if they stayed up only to turn at Craven Cottage to tell everyone it's cancelled LOL

It's gonna be a fun summer in Tyneside.

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 1:58pm
Reckon Chelsea will surprise some people and the transfer ban might actually do them good. Sarri is still a top manager, and there's an awful lot of promising young talent out on loan there.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

The fact Mike Ashley held a team meeting in a Wetherspoons during Happy Hour and made the players pay for their own meal can't have gone down well but 2 weeks later he breaks their Transfer record, it don't end there either!  
The latest gaffe being on Sunday he promised everyone a trip to Vegas if they stayed up only to turn at Craven Cottage to tell everyone it's cancelled LOL

Links to any of this?

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Links to any of this?

Didn't hear anything about the Wetherspoons incident, unless you're thinking of the Rialto meal which happened in October which Ashley is believed to have paid for in full.

In terms of the Vegas trip, Ashley was prepared to pay for this but the team decided as a whole they'd rather spend time away with their families during the break.

I agree it will be a fun summer in Tyneside looking forward to Premier League football again, as opposed to Wearside who might be looking forward to another season in League 1

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 3:49pm

Links to any of this?
Same source as the one who said Mike Dean is a Spurs fan

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:30pm

Links to any of this?
Same source as the one who said Mike Dean is a Spurs fan

LOL

Spurs tying a deal for Andre Gomes, very good signing if they can get it over the line and after Sessegnon from Fulham. 

Poch is rather strange in how he nearly insists on selling an established first team player or two every season, Danny Rose has had a fantastic season (Davies good back up if needed) so it's rather odd why he'd be looking to sign Sessegnon unless he's going to play him further forward because there is noway I'd be getting rid of Rose. 

Of course without stating the obvious you can see the logic in that Sessegnon is young, English and has bags of potential/talent but he wouldn't be happy on the bench given all the games he's played at his young age.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:54pm

Links to any of this?

Didn't hear anything about the Wetherspoons incident, unless you're thinking of the Rialto meal which happened in October which Ashley is believed to have paid for in full.

In terms of the Vegas trip, Ashley was prepared to pay for this but the team decided as a whole they'd rather spend time away with their families during the break.

I agree it will be a fun summer in Tyneside looking forward to Premier League football again, as opposed to Wearside who might be looking forward to another season in League 1

Poor auld Coyney walked into that one LOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:06am
Walked where exactly? I saw it an easy bite, especially from someone who frequently posts in the Sunderland thread despite calling people who post in the Newcastle thread 'closet fans' LOL

Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:03am

Walked where exactly? I saw it an easy bite, especially from someone who frequently posts in the Sunderland thread despite calling people who post in the Newcastle thread 'closet fans' LOL

ClapLOL

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 11:33am
Wolves will become the first EPL club to introduce rail seats as Molineux moves a step closer to safe standing.

Celtic and Shrewsbury Town who play in leagues where safe standing is allowed, have already incorporated similar examples of rail seats into their stadiums.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:51pm
Zaha wants to leave Palace to play CL football apparently 
Who’d take him? Liverpool or Tottenham?

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 11:21pm

You know, there are teams in the CL from outside the Premier League too....

Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 11:27pm
So where do you think he’s off to?

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 11:36pm

So where do you think he’s off to?
An XBox

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 11:52pm
Weren't Dortmund rumoured to be sniffing around him previously ?

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:23am
Well Pulisic is leaving Dortmund to warm the bench at Chelsea, so he could possibly head there.

-------------

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:35am
Zaha would be a great signing for any of the top sides in the PL. With a top coach over him I could see him kick on another level or 2.

Players like Zaha, Doucoure, Brooks. There is a huge amount of quality player s with middling PL sides. These guys aren't the sexiest of names so plenty won't even consider them. The smart clubs will be all over these guys in the next year or 2 though, even if their prices could well be enormous.

Richarlison is another one that the bigger clubs should break the bank to get a hold of imo. Everton will fight tooth and nail to keep him though I'd imagine. Will probably cost 100 million when he eventually moves on.

Brooks to me is a guy with the potential to play at the very top level for along long time, if he makes the right move when he eventually moves on from Bournemouth, which I'm guessing he will at some point. 

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:49am
Never saw any links of Dortmund with Zaha before. He'd do well there.
Arsenal are 4/5 favourites to sign him.

City being linked with Rodri from Atletico

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:41am
I think Zaha would be fantastic at Liverpool, when you factor in that they'll likely be challenging for the PL and CL again next season (probably want to do better in the domestic cups too mind) he would play 30/40+ games with them no problem even with Firmino,Mane, Salah as very much the first choice front 3 (as of now)

Man City got a decent return goals/assists wise from Mahrez, he added that extra bit of quality re squad depth. 

Zaha would guarantee Liverpool 10/15 goals a season and definitely a dozen or so assists, should be a no brainer trying to sign him.

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:59pm

Both Spurs and Chelsea wanted him last season but were put off by the £70M price tag.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:48pm
His goal v Bournemouth last weekend had me thinking that not many others in the league would have been as quick at taking that ball from the halfway line and finishing. He needs to do it more consistently though.

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Zaha would be a great signing for any of the top sides in the PL. With a top coach over him I could see him kick on another level or 2.

Players like Zaha, Doucoure, Brooks. There is a huge amount of quality player s with middling PL sides. These guys aren't the sexiest of names so plenty won't even consider them. The smart clubs will be all over these guys in the next year or 2 though, even if their prices could well be enormous.

Richarlison is another one that the bigger clubs should break the bank to get a hold of imo. Everton will fight tooth and nail to keep him though I'd imagine. Will probably cost 100 million when he eventually moves on.

Brooks to me is a guy with the potential to play at the very top level for along long time, if he makes the right move when he eventually moves on from Bournemouth, which I'm guessing he will at some point. 
Agree about Brooks, think he could be a top player. Aren't Arsenal linked with him & Fraser?

Sessegnon to Spurs is another one I read about, be a good move for him

Would take Zaha at Liverpool but not sure Klopp would

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:28pm
Sessegnon will be a very good signing for someone when he eventually moves on. I think that a season finding his form again the championship might do him good though.

Same with Brooks who I think will be a phenomenal player. At least one more full season playing all the time for Bournemouth and I reckon there will be a huge queue for his services.

Fraser was sensational in the PL this season, loved watching him play. Hard to know if he can sustain anything near that form for a few more seasons though, which is what any bigger club will expect from him.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 6:05am
Reports Newcastle will attempt to hold further talks with Benitez this week to convince him to sign a new contract.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Reports Newcastle will attempt to hold further talks with Benitez this week to convince him to sign a new contract.

They better f**king do if he leaves the club is going to go full on LA and Detroit riot combined 

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 1:55pm
Garry Monk  is  the favourite for the Newcastle job currently with Mark Hughes  second with the bookies.

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 1:59pm

Garry Monk  is  the favourite for the Newcastle job currently with Mark Hughes  second with the bookies.
LOLLOL
You would nearly feel sorry for them. Nearly!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 2:33pm

Mark Hughes LOL LOL LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

LOLLOL

Pray for Mojo

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 5:03pm

LOLLOL

Pray for Mojo

LOL LOL LOL 

Hughes isn't Black and White he is Grey and Grey

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 3:30pm
Fabian Delph has joined Everton £8.5m rising to a potential £10m

Ravel Morrison has joined Sheffield United. (Not the first time he's been involved with blades i'd imagine Tongue)

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 9:42am
Bruce confirmed as Newcastle manager.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

How's that move to the continent working out for him?

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 5:48pm

Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

How's that move to the continent working out for him?

What move would that be?

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 10:00pm
I had a fiver on 4 1 to Pool at 11/1.

-------------

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:00pm
Aguero not happy been taken off their words exchanged between him and pep on the touchline

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:34pm
The new handball rule is a disgrace.

As much as I dislike Man City and Pep's baldy head, they were robbed because of the new handball rule.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:39pm
Aye not a fan of the rule at all.

VAR done it’s job on that one, don’t know how City weren’t awarded a penalty in the first half mind.

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:45pm
Right decision, but it was too slow.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Aye not a fan of the rule at all.

VAR done it’s job on that one, don’t know how City weren’t awarded a penalty in the first half mind.

Should have got that penalty for Lamela dragging at a corner alright.

It's a handball by Laporte so definitely the correct decision. Lovely finish by Jesus. I think it's a good rule about the handball while scoring a goal, clears up a horrible grey area in the game. How long did it take  VAR to make the call, that's the big thing? Seemed quick enough this time, as it should be in such a black and white call.

That's strike 1 for Liverpool in the title race this season. Huge result for Spurs psychologically as well I think.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

How long did it take?

Were the City players back at half way? Was hard to spot as they were showing replays and Agureo and Guardiola hugging, which was great to see LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:52pm

VAR isn't the talking point.

It's the new stupid rule where it's handball even if his hands are down by his side, regardless if it's unintentional, in a natural position or anything.

Are outfield players meant to amputate their arms or something. 

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:55pm

The new handball rule is a disgrace.

As much as I dislike Man City and Pep's baldy head, they were robbed because of the new handball rule.

LOL LOL LOL

Robbed LOL by a clear decision. Black and white rule. If that winner was given only one team would have been robbed, Spurs.

City robbed LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:57pm

VAR isn't the talking point.

It's the new stupid rule where it's handball even if his hands are down by his side, regardless if it's unintentional, in a natural position or anything.

Are outfield players meant to amputate their arms or something. 

Do you know the rules?

Using a hand in the assist or scoring of a goal is now against the rules. Probably the best rule change in the last 20 years of football. Clears up a huge grey area. Everyone is aware of the change. 

City robbed. F*ck me LOL

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:58pm
I was at Arsenal Burnley today. We had a VAR decision which ruled out a goal for Arsenal on the stroke of half time. As an Arsenal fan I found it a fairly dramatic experience. At first we celebrated as anyone would then the ref signaled that VAR were checking something. The suspense for the next 30 to 60 seconds had the crowd on tenterhooks. People were weirdly giddy, that was perhaps down to novelty...a chant even broke out for 10 or so seconds. Alas the decision went against us however I felt the experience didn't overly constrain the game.

It'll be interesting come the end of the season to compare last seasons rules (applied to this season) to how many results will have been changed this season because of VAR. For example both of Arsenal's and City's goals today would have stood (which as a result would have meant 3 points for City instead of 1) had it not been for VAR. I'm sure some brainbox is on the case.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:59pm
Coyne saying city robbed by the rules :)

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:00pm
Big fan of any rule that limits the interpretation of the handball rules. Great thing in my book.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:01pm
Coleman, do you remember Koscielnys goal against Burnley about 3 years ago, where he comically kicked the ball against his arm which was above his head, and he palmed the ball in. Perfectly legal goal btw.

That is the kind of farcical scenario being ruled against. A superb rule change.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:07pm
The biggest decision in the game by far is the Lamela foul
 That's a terrible call. The handball is a non issue besides how long it takes, which is important as well though.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Big fan of any rule that limits the interpretation of the handball rules. Great thing in my book.

Are you not worried about people aiming for people's arms becoming a tactical thing?

Like the Sadio Mane penalty in the CL final last season, that case it was deserved as the defender had his arms up in the air but sometime we'll see a situation where it's been deliberately targeted and the arms are positioned down by the sides and a penalty is given for it.

Is that really good for the game? It's a no from me.

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:12pm

Coleman, do you remember Koscielnys goal against Burnley about 3 years ago, where he comically kicked the ball against his arm which was above his head, and he palmed the ball in. Perfectly legal goal btw.

That is the kind of farcical scenario being ruled against. A superb rule change.

I do indeed LOLLOLLOL

I'll say this to ensure everyone knows where I stand ...but I've been a supporter of VAR since its introduction a few years back. Today was the first time I experienced it at a game. The correct decision was made even if it was against my team and denied Nelson his first competitive goal in professional football. The home support today simply accepted the decision and got on with it.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:13pm

Are you not worried about people aiming for people's arms becoming a tactical thing?

Like the Sadio Mane penalty in the CL final last season, that case it was deserved as the defender had his arms up in the air but sometime we'll see a situation where it's been deliberately targeted and the arms are positioned down by the sides and a penalty is given for it.

Honestly, I’m not worried about that at all. If that’s a tactic that’s introduced so be it. And the current rules don’t actually prevent such a tactic working. Leaving the concept open to interpretation has not actually been great for the game.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:22pm

Was Laporte aiming for someone's arm when he flicked the ball on for Jesus goal?

-------------

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:27pm

Was Laporte aiming for someone's arm when he flicked the ball on for Jesus goal?

Are you actually suggesting Laporte deliberately flicked the ball on with his arm rather than the ball just hitting it?

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I do indeed LOLLOLLOL

I'll say this to ensure everyone knows where I stand ...but I've been a supporter of VAR since its introduction a few years back. Today was the first time I experienced it at a game. The correct decision was made even if it was against my team and denied Nelson his first competitive goal in professional football. The home support today simply accepted the decision and got on with it.

I have huge issues about VAR is being implemented, but the Jesus goal is a good call. It is a brilliant rule change in that the absolute farce that was Koscielnys goal a few years ago (he basically overhead full palmed the ball into the net) could never stand now. The referee saw that handball by Koscielny at the time as well, but it was a legitimate goal by the interpretation of the rules at the time.

Anyone saying that ruling out goals that were scored by attacking players getting away with handling in the build up to the goal or in the scoring of the goal, either don't know the rules or are for the birds. One or the other.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Are you actually suggesting Laporte deliberately flicked the ball on with his arm rather than the ball just hitting it?

Not for one second. Did I say that anywhere?

The rule has been changed. It is one of the best changes in football rules in decades imo. If the ball is played by the hand of the attacker in scoring the goal or in the build up to the goal, it will be disallowed. Black and white. No grey area. No intentional or unintentional.

As I've said numerous goals have legally been scored by arms or hands in years gone by, Koscielny one of the most farcical and memorable. 

Why would anyone take issue with this part of the handball rule I'll never know. 

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:34pm

Honestly, I’m not worried about that at all. If that’s a tactic that’s introduced so be it. And the current rules don’t actually prevent such a tactic working. Leaving the concept open to interpretation has not actually been great for the game.

It's just someone who has no idea of the rules Hetfield.

Coyne you realise that you could hit the ball directly off an opponents arm 100 times in a row in the penalty area, and as long as his arms are close enough to his side, never once will a penalty be given against the defending player?

Your like a clone of Planning believing every handball will be a penalty and players are walking around pitches aiming for opposition players arms LOL have you seen much of that this season btw under these fantasy handball rules LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:35pm
you said he flicked it on with his arm, I took that as you suggesting it was deliberate 

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:39pm

you said he flicked it on with his arm, I took that as you suggesting it was deliberate 

Why would you take that as me believing it to be deliberate?

He flicked it with his arm. It cannot be a goal from there. The rule fixes a rotten grey area in the game that has existed for a long long time.

Deliberate or accidental has nothing to do with it when handling a ball in the process of scoring a goal. Surely thats a really good thing?

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:46pm
I wonder how many times Moleman wants to quote my posts begging for attention like some child with ADHD.

I believe he was warned in the other thread so mods do what you have to do. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:50pm

I wonder how many times Moleman wants to quote my posts begging for attention like some child with ADHD.

I believe he was warned in the other thread so mods do what you have to do. Thumbs Up

You understand that Jesus having a goal ruled out for a clear assist with the arm has absolutely nothing to do with your interpretation of all of these fantasy players walking around trying to hit the opposition with the ball in the hand? Sweet jaysus LOL The actual stupidity of it all is a sight to behold LOL

Next a goal will be disallowed for offside and you'll be saying that the new kick off rule is a disaster LOL

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:53pm
Lads fcuk off reporting posts on a saturday night ffs, we've better things to be doing than have our emails hopping even if you haven't. 

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:58pm
Image result for sanchez handball goal gif

These are the kind of goals Coyner wants to still stand in football, because he's worried lads will walk around aiming for opposition players arms. What one situation has to do with the other, I don't know.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 9:04pm

He flicked it with his arm. It cannot be a goal from there. The rule fixes a rotten grey area in the game that has existed for a long long time.

Deliberate or accidental has nothing to do with it when handling a ball in the process of scoring a goal. Surely thats a really good thing?

See you just said it again, “he flicked it with him arm” to me that’s making it sound deliberate 

He didn’t flick it, the ball hit his arm

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 9:14pm

See you just said it again, “he flicked it with him arm” to me that’s making it sound deliberate 

He did flick it with his arm. That is a fact. That is why it's a great rule. I'm not sure how you can read that as me saying it's intentional btw, I'm just stating a fact. Either way nobody but Laporte can know his intent in the situation (I don't believe it was intentional at all) which is why the black and white nature of the ruling now is spot on.

Do you believe it's a bad thing that handling the ball in the build up or scoring of a goal is being 100 percent disallowed now?

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:08pm
You couldn’t make it up, another injury time winner against Spurs at the Etihad ruled out by VAR, and in that game in April Spurs’ critical goal was allowed despite it comimg off Llorente’s arm, where’s tonight’s Laporte’s was disallowed. LOL

Have to say it was the correct decision though

Rodri should have had a penalty for sure

All this talk of the new handball rule clearing up a grey area, can anyone explain to me why Watford didn’t win a penalty for a Glenn Murray handball in the box last weekend? 

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:17pm
The short answer is the Brighton players arms were close enough to his side.

-------------

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:31pm

That was defo a peno if were going by todays stupid rules by murray last week. 

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Rules for what? Laporte handball? They are totally different scenarios.

-------------

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:39pm

I dont mean today as in today literally. Its a general expression.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:39pm

He did flick it with his arm. That is a fact. That is why it's a great rule. I'm not sure how you can read that as me saying it's intentional btw, I'm just stating a fact. Either way nobody but Laporte can know his intent in the situation (I don't believe it was intentional at all) which is why the black and white nature of the ruling now is spot on.

Do you believe it's a bad thing that handling the ball in the build up or scoring of a goal is being 100 percent disallowed now?
I think it is your wording here. It flicked off his arm rather than him flicking it. It implies intent.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:45pm
You and Shoco are probably correct. My wording is off there, it would have been the way I've always spoken of actions like that in football though, intent or not. 

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:48pm

I dont mean today as in today literally. Its a general expression.

The Brighton handball is debatable at best by today's handball rules. I think they got it right, but it's one scenario (how far the arm is from the side) that is open to interpretation. Most other tweaks to the handball rules are good (besides the sliding on the floor one which I think is ridiculous).

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:58pm

You and Shoco are probably correct. My wording is off there, it would have been the way I've always spoken of actions like that in football though, intent or not. 
That's fair enough, I just think that's where the confusion came from. I think the rule does clear it up alright, even if Manchester City were unfortunate in this instance. The two clowns on MOTD seem to disagree, so it must be good. I forgot why I stopped watching it.

Some of the new rules are a little hard to get used to. I am still struggling to see defenders running towards the goalkeeper for goal-kicks, even if I think it makes more sense than the old rule.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 11:05pm
I wonder if Planning is keeping a dossier again this season for decisions both the officials and VaR get wrong, such as the Rodri non penalty today  

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 11:14pm
The Rodri one is a really awful call. You can have a VAR all you want but when the officials aren't near the required level on or off the field, there will be plenty of wrong calls.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 11:21pm

That's fair enough, I just think that's where the confusion came from. I think the rule does clear it up alright, even if Manchester City were unfortunate in this instance. The two clowns on MOTD seem to disagree, so it must be good. I forgot why I stopped watching it.

Some of the new rules are a little hard to get used to. I am still struggling to see defenders running towards the goalkeeper for goal-kicks, even if I think it makes more sense than the old rule.

The new goal kick rule is good also. The previous rule became a nonsense with teams stepping in on purpose for a retake if caught out on a short kick out.

The handball ruling out goals scored like Citys tonight is a great addition.

There has been a huge clearing up in handball rules as well now, they've finally started defining exact situations, so there's plenty of simpler black and white calls. There are a few scenarios there that could do with more tidying up but imo the removal of intent around the handball is a big plus. This notion that all player will kick it off opposition hands for penalties is just silly. That is only plausible if every handball was a foul which the rules clearly state is not the case.

I actually think these rule tweaks would have done the refs a huge favour years ago. Now with VAR, every call is scrutinised hugely and often totally incorrectly by pundits. It just becomes a sh*tstorm left right and centre.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 11:26pm

The new goal kick rule is good also. The previous rule became a nonsense with teams stepping in on purpose for a retake if caught out on a short kick out.

The handball ruling out goals scored like Citys tonight is a great addition.

There has been a huge clearing up in handball rules as well now, they've finally started defining exact situations, so there's plenty of simpler black and white calls. There are a few scenarios there that could do with more tidying up but imo the removal of intent around the handball is a big plus. This notion that all player will kick it off opposition hands for penalties is just silly. That is only plausible if every handball was a foul which the rules clearly state is not the case.

I actually think these rule tweaks would have done the refs a huge favour years ago. Now with VAR, every call is scrutinised hugely and often totally incorrectly by pundits. It just becomes a sh*tstorm left right and centre.
Yeah, I like the goal-kick rule too, it just takes time to adjust.

I think you are right in that if we had a few years of these  rules before VAR was implemented there would be less scrutiny and outcry. That's the big problem with VAR, the interpretation leads to the delays and confusion and often, as on Wednesday, the wrong outcome.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 11:33pm
Without doubt it's the perfect sh*tstorm. In one way you'd feel a bit sorry for the officials (and I never ever do LOL)

Even today, the handball. It's such a simple rule but there was an outcry from everyone that the goal didn't stand. Do people want the referee to spot that, or the VAR, but then say no that doesn't seem the fairest and award the goal!

The biggest thing that VAR should be stamping down on is diving. It's actually getting worse in every game imo. I actually think that it's harder for a tv replay to adjudge the level of contact than the on field ref, so players can actually get away with going down under the lightest of contacts now and winning a penalty or free. The yanks have a term for that thing, something like a soft tv foul or something. So VAR doesn't solve everything.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 11:33pm
McGin, Hourihane, Luiz and Grealish - Villa should get plenty of goals from outside the box this season

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 11:41pm
What about Guardiola and Aguero today LOL I thought Guardiola was going to  go back up the few rows at one point and bate him. he doesn't take kindly to anyone questioning him, especially publicly.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 12:36am
Seems very angry this season. Losing it at the charity shield and now that today

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 1:26am
The Aguero thing seemed to be about him not going off on the far side when City were chasing a goal.

City had plenty of chances at 2-1 up and have only themselves to blame. They were dominant until Moura came on and scored; after that they were drab.

Entirely their own fault they weren't winning long before the end, whatever about the ref and VAR. The decision was correct, whether you agree with the new laws or not.

Even after the non-penalty incident in the first half, City still had a lead they couldn't hold on to. Entirely their own fault.

-------------

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 1:32am

I wonder if Planning is keeping a dossier again this season for decisions both the officials and VaR get wrong, such as the Rodri non penalty today  
Two games in and Vaggio is snappin already.
Jesus (and Jaysus) wept.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 8:51am
I didn’t see the game so can’t really comment much on it, just match of the day last night. Spurs only had a couple of shots and city dominated, so there isn’t much to worry about on that front. 
I apologise if I was snappy GazLOL

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 10:30am
Video Assisted Replays. 

Goals chalked off for a hand ball that lead to it, even if it wasn’t deliberate. 

We can’t complain. This is EXACTLY what we wanted after that Thierry Henry handball ten years ago. 

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 10:40am

Hans has taken over the running of the logbook it seems. 

The English don't want VAR to intervene in "subjective" decisions, the so called "high bar" nonsense. So in the above case, they got what they wanted, the cherry picking VAR in operation, not the full VAR that everyone else in the world is obliged to respect and implement. 

The English just want VAR to rule on black and white scenarios. A VAR can only do what he is told. So if a forward handles the ball or is half an inch offside, it will be spotted, so a goal must and will be ruled out. That is not harsh, that is VAR doing what it's supposed to do. Cleaning the crap out of football. 

-------------
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 11:39am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I was at Arsenal Burnley today. We had a VAR decision which ruled out a goal for Arsenal on the stroke of half time. As an Arsenal fan I found it a fairly dramatic experience. At first we celebrated as anyone would then the ref signaled that VAR were checking something. The suspense for the next 30 to 60 seconds had the crowd on tenterhooks. People were weirdly giddy, that was perhaps down to novelty...a chant even broke out for 10 or so seconds. Alas the decision went against us however I felt the experience didn't overly constrain the game.

It'll be interesting come the end of the season to compare last seasons rules (applied to this season) to how many results will have been changed this season because of VAR. For example both of Arsenal's and City's goals today would have stood (which as a result would have meant 3 points for City instead of 1) had it not been for VAR. I'm sure some brainbox is on the case.

Th Linesman ruled it was offside then they went upstairs . A Gooner ehh, hummm it gets worse .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 2:20pm

You and Shoco are probably correct. My wording is off there,
You don't appear to know the difference between a transitive verb and an intransitive one.

But you certainly know what "intransigent" means. Wink

Anyhow, yesterday's decision was correct, as an interpretation of the new law.

But the new law is appalling, in that it completely sacrifices fairness on the altar of certainty.

And it's not even as if it's consistent, for the "infringement" yesterday for Jesus's goal would not have been an infringement if occurring in any other context in any other area of the field.

And that's before you get to the general principle that for something to be an infringement, it has to be deliberate i.e. player collides with opponent entirely unintentionally: no foul; versus player knowingly clatters into opponent: foul.

As a Spurs fan, I felt sorry for Man Cit.....

Oh f**k that, Hell slap it into that baldy bastard and his entire team! Clap

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Video Assisted Replays. 

Goals chalked off for a hand ball that lead to it, even if it wasn’t deliberate. 

We can’t complain. This is EXACTLY what we wanted after that Thierry Henry handball ten years ago. 

Nonsense.

The Henry handball was entirely deliberate - he said so himself.

Therefore you didn't need a rule change to see it ruled out, VAR would have done it. Or a half-competent set of officials.

Still, you have to laugh...Wink

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Lads fcuk off reporting posts on a saturday night ffs, we've better things to be doing than have our emails hopping even if you haven't. 

Well said.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 12:20pm
Thought Ederson's positioning was very poor for Spurs' first goal. He's about 7 yards out from his goal line when Lamela shoots from the edge of the box.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net