Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56842
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 9:20am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Travel thread
Posted By: MC Hammered
Subject: Travel thread
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 4:37pm

If there is one of these threads already, I DON'T CARE. I'M ABOVE THE LAW. But do feel free to merge or lock this thread if so Mods. 

We are thinking of going to the Adriatic coast for 10 days in early June. We were looking at Croatia initially but the idea of being part of a horde of tourists in Hvar town or Dubrovnik doesn’t sound that appealing. I was mooching around online and Montenegro looks decent but I’m open to ideas.

We like moving around and will ideally take in two to three locations. I’d like a mix of sunny weather, nice scenery, a vibrant town centre, some history or heritage and a decent atmosphere. 

So if you, my forum friends, can recommend a couple of destinations that combine all the key characteristics mentioned above and suggest some towns/ cities in the region that resemble a cross between Seville, Budapest, Lyon and San Sebastian that would be great.

-------------
El Puto Amo

Replies:
Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

We are thinking of going to the Adriatic coast for 10 days in early June. We were looking at Croatia initially but the idea of being part of a horde of tourists in Hvar town or Dubrovnik doesn’t sound that appealing. I was mooching around online and Montenegro looks decent but I’m open to ideas.

We like moving around and will ideally take in two to three locations. I’d like a mix of sunny weather, nice scenery, a vibrant town centre, some history or heritage and a decent atmosphere. 

So if you, my forum friends, can recommend a couple of destinations that combine all the key characteristics mentioned above and suggest some towns/ cities in the region that resemble a cross between Seville, Budapest, Lyon and San Sebastian that would be great.

Montenegro is just as populated but with Russian tourists replacing the English tourists.

Spent a few days there a few years back, we wnet to Budva, lovely beach town but wouldn't put it in the class of the cities you mention above. Kotor bay is lovely scenery, but has the cruise ships during the summer

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 12:49pm

If there is one of these threads already, I DON'T CARE. I'M ABOVE THE LAW. But do feel free to merge or lock this thread if so Mods. 

Stayed in Rovinj in northern Croatia in September 17, lovely spot and quieter than Hvar etc. Aer Lingus fly direct to Pula which is about 40 mins away. 
We did a day trip across to Venice and few other boat trips. 4 or 5 days there is probably enough 

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 1:33pm
Without a shadow of a doubt and place that has cruise ships visiting it then you will pay top dollar .Dubrovnik now right up there on the tour route but goodness it's worth a day super spot but mad expensive . Croatia has a very long coast line we were on a bus but one place looked class i think it was Dudu half way from Split to Dubrovnik .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 12:09am

Cheers for the tips lads. Think we’ll head for Pula and spend a few days there then get a flight to Split and finish in Dubrovnik.

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 12:36am

Cheers for the tips lads. Think we’ll head for Pula and spend a few days there then get a flight to Split and finish in Dubrovnik.

Ok lads best place you have visited. 

Worst place you have visited. 

Place you would love to visit but haven’t 

Place you have no intention to visit. 

If you could pick one spot to head to every year of your life after you turn 60 like murph where would you pick. 

Best place for a weekend break. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Ok lads best place you have visited. 

Worst place you have visited. 

Place you would love to visit but haven’t 

Place you have no intention to visit. 

If you could pick one spot to head to every year of your life after you turn 60 like murph where would you pick. 

Best place for a weekend break. 

I must say you are wasted in you roll at work , i i think  working for the CIA would have been right up your street 

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 8:46am

I did a few days in Split, boat to Hvar for a few days, boat to Dubrovnik and it was a great trip. 
Dubrovnik is a lovely spot and worth a visit.

-------------

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 10:17am
If it’s proper tranquility you are looking for have a look at Mljet . Beautiful island off the south of Croatia.  

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

If it’s proper tranquility you are looking for have a look at Mljet . Beautiful island off the south of Croatia.  

Ditto for Lopud. Lovely hotel on the island, a beach and about 4/5 restaurants. There's nothing open past 11, great place to unwind and 45min ferry from Dubrovnik if ya fancy a day trip

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 4:59pm
It's been 6 years since I was in Hvar and it might have increased in popularity in the meantime but I didn't find it swarming with tourists, still had a bit of a local feel about it in comparison to Dubrovnik.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Montenegro is just as populated but with Russian tourists replacing the English tourists.

That's because it is one of three countries with Med coastlines that Russians don't need a visa for and Bosnia and Turkey are the other two and Bosnia's coastline is only about 20km long, from recollection.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 5:09pm
Also, on the cruise ship point, yeah, places with lots of cruise ships are madness during the day but they tend to be a lot quieter in the evening and accommodation isn't always mental either, as a result.

I stayed in Venice a few years back for a night and the place was a lot quieter in the evening. I'd imagine in Croatia, the accommodation is actually affordable.

-------------

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 5:12pm
Budva is a smashing spot

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Posted By: Gigibongi33
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

It's been 6 years since I was in Hvar and it might have increased in popularity in the meantime but I didn't find it swarming with tourists, still had a bit of a local feel about it in comparison to Dubrovnik.

I was there in 2013  and again in 2017 and it's definitely got more popular and prices have increased as a result . Could easily end up paying  Temple Bar prices in some of the bars and clubs .

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 9:41pm
@Mc 
I don't know if we means yourself and your other half or a gang of 20 lads away beering for the weekend but I'll share my only experience in that part of the world. I got married in Dubrovnik in August 2017 and even though it was uncharted territory in more ways than one , I consider myself lucky just to even walk the streets there. It's something out of this world really. You are heading over there just before peak season so accommodation won't be as expensive if you decide to visit. Won't be as hot either. It was nearly 30 degrees when we were there but it's only late July early August it's that hot. 

It's not expensive if your not a tight ****. Yeah you might give the equivalent of 6 euro for a pint  , but I'm not used of paying Budapest prices for a pint every weekend. And since you are a Dub , you won't feel out of pocket , more like home prices 😃 

Korcula is a beautiful island , they call it a mini Dubrovnik. Very relaxing there , more suitable for a couple than a gang of junkies from Dublin though. Bear in mind that most beaches on the Adriatic are pebble and stone beaches but Lombarda beach on Korcula is a beautiful sandy beach to dump your syringes on. 

I wasn't a fan of Hvar. I'll put that down to being married and old.

Id highly recommend Split for a few nights. Beautiful vibrant city full of history and beauty. And for all the 6 euro pints you drank in Dubrovnik , you will get your money back here drinking pints for 80 cent in the city centre. I felt like I could easily spend a week here. 

Montenegro also looks amazing but I've never been but wherever ye end up over there , it's a lovely part of the world which I'm sure you will enjoy 

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 12:04am
Split is the dogs bollocks. fantastic views, cheap, great food and a lovely city centre.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: LO SCIENZIATO
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:39am
MC i know it's away from where your looking to go but i can't highly enough recommend South Africa and in particular Cape Town and wine areas of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek. Great 10 day holiday destination. 

Spend about 5 nights in Cape Town and then 2 nights in each of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek and then back to Cape Town for the last night. definitely in my top 3 city/area that i have ever visited around the world. Flights from Dublin in June are about €450 return with Ethiopian Airlines (roughly 18 hours and 2 stops) Clap

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:54am
Did you fly with Ethiopian when you went? Flee with them a few years back and ‘twas a memorable experience!! 

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 10:00am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Did you fly with Ethiopian when you went? Flee with them a few years back and ‘twas a memorable experience!! 

no i flew from Cork via Amsterdam with KLM. KLM are absolute muck so i wouldn't recommend them to anyone. have heard that years ago about Ethiopian Airlines but know a few lads working in the mining industry in Africa and they fly Ethiopian out of Dublin and they said they have come on leaps and bounds over the past few years.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 10:07am

Addis airport is some hole! They've opened a new one now though.

Their planes are all top class - probably the best fleet in the world, but didn't appreciate being woken up 90 mins before landing, at about 4.30am, in turbulence for a breakfast I didn't want.

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 10:55am
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

MC i know it's away from where your looking to go but i can't highly enough recommend South Africa and in particular Cape Town and wine areas of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek. Great 10 day holiday destination. 

Spend about 5 nights in Cape Town and then 2 nights in each of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek and then back to Cape Town for the last night. definitely in my top 3 city/area that i have ever visited around the world. Flights from Dublin in June are about €450 return with Ethiopian Airlines (roughly 18 hours and 2 stops) Clap
I'll second this, amazing spot. If you have the time then get a car and drive the coast to Port Elizabeth with a few stops in between and fly home from there. You wont regret it. Savage trip

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

I'll second this, amazing spot. If you have the time then get a car and drive the coast to Port Elizabeth with a few stops in between and fly home from there. You wont regret it. Savage trip

Yeah the Garden Route is unreal. just back from it. Did 5 nights in CT and then did 13 nights between CT and PE 

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:18am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Their planes are all top class - probably the best fleet in the world, but didn't appreciate being woken up 90 mins before landing, at about 4.30am, in turbulence for a breakfast I didn't want.
LOLAddis’ was a mad spot alright, was 2010 when I was there before flying on to Lusaka with a 30min stop in Harare where the cleaners came on and cleaned while roaring at you to remain seated LOL 

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 12:27pm

LOLAddis’ was a mad spot alright, was 2010 when I was there before flying on to Lusaka with a 30min stop in Harare where the cleaners came on and cleaned while roaring at you to remain seated LOL 

Same happened to me actually! Was flying Nairobi to Lusaka via Harare.

Had forgotten that, pure jobs for the lads stuff 

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 11:44am
Have a few days in Paris next week, and time to myself during the day. So anything different to see and do over there other than the obvious 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Have a few days in Paris next week, and time to myself during the day. So anything different to see and do over there other than the obvious 

Eiffel Tower is supposed to be decent. Definitely in the top 3 or 4 towers.

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 2:33pm

Worst Kip In Europe in my view if I could pick one city in Europe to never visit again it be Paris. None the less enjoy 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 2:34pm
Musee D'Orsay has some good art and it's a great space (it's a former train station LOL).

I was there around the time of the friendly last year. I showed up and there was a big queue for tickets, so I booked one online, then skipped the queue. Must have saved about half an hour.

You could also go out to Versailles, although it is pricey.

-------------

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 2:38pm

Depends what you have already done.

I always try to visit Pere Lachaise when there.

There is an Asterix themed Theme Park just outside (Paris not Pere Lachaise Wink )  too which has a lot of cool rollercoasters if that be your thing.
https://www.parcasterix.fr/en" rel="nofollow - https://www.parcasterix.fr/en

Clignancourt Flea market- if you are there on Sat-Mon and want to pick up some antiques/ cool gifts for people- you could easily spend a whole day there

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 3:05pm
Get the train out to Versailles Liamo. Well worth a visit 

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 3:14pm
If you do go to Versaille, get there early. The queues can be nuts, plus the gardens are massive and will take a fair amount of time to get around. Plus I think the fountains are on in the morning, and less so in the afternoon. They use a vast amount of water so they aren't on all the time.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 7:29pm
Will be in Hong Kong for 2 days at the start of April. Flying out the day of the 7's so will miss that.

Any recommendations?

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:45pm

Will be in Hong Kong for 2 days at the start of April. Flying out the day of the 7's so will miss that.

Any recommendations?

What are you after? 

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

LOL

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 1:28am
It’s a good tower alright Bob don’t miss it.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 7:59am

Any recommendations?

What are you after? 

Won't be a mad drinking trip so tourist attractions mainly.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 8:11am

Any recommendations?

What are you after? 

Won't be a mad drinking trip so tourist attractions mainly.

Can't go wrong with the usual things - the peak (queue for the tram is mad, can get an Uber up), best to go there at Dusk. 

Worth heading for a look at the Ladies Market, some decent local restaurants there too - plastic stool type ones. The Big Buddha is good if you're into that sort of thing, there's a cablecar up to it but it was closed last time I went.

I'd start off at the harbour, down in Tsim Sha Tsui, have a look around there skyline there, then jump on the star ferry to central, walk over to Beer Bay for a drink, and back across again and head into Mongkok for a look - it's the busiest part of the city I've found. You can pay by cash but might be worth getting an Octopus card while you're there - pays for all transport and a lot of shops take it too.

Food wise, Dim Dim Sum is a good spot for Dim Sum, Jumbo is a restaurant on a boat, it's a bit kitschy but worth looking into.

If Happy Valley races are on when you're there it's a good way to spend a few hours.

Wooloomooloo bar is worth going to for a few for the view, drinks are expensive, as there are everywhere in HK but worth it.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 11:17am
Cheers Nvidic Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Cheers Paulie, never heard of it must check it LOL

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:08pm
Sd/Lass and Babbs Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:13pm

Cheers Nvidic Thumbs Up

No worries, your hotel should give you a mobile 4G dongle so can't go too far wrong with access to Google maps etc

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 2:49pm

Cheers Nvidic Thumbs Up

No worries, your hotel should give you a mobile 4G dongle so can't go too far wrong with access to Google maps etc

On that note, what would be the best area to stay in?

-------------

Posted By: Scamper
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 3:20pm
Anyone ever been to Athens? what's it like? cheap? things to see and do?

-------------
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 3:50pm

Cheers Nvidic Thumbs Up

On that note, what would be the best area to stay in?

All depends, if you're near an MTR (metro) you can't go too far wrong, even better if you're near Central (can be a bit sterile near here is only thing) or Kowloon as the airport train stops there, you can check in and drop your bags there too, they'll give you your boarding pass, I alway do this about 11am for late night flights, it's great. 

Maybe look up a few areas and choose one that matches what you're after. 

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 3:53pm
Can't go too far wrong with Wan Chai either, has the MTR, STAR Ferry, night life and places to eat and drink, is a bit quieter during the day possibly depending on what end you're on, lot of offices there 

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 5:09pm
Top man Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Scamper Scamper wrote:

Was there last month for a few days . Now it had been 30 years since i was last there but very impressed i must say . Cheap yep i have to say we have starters mains and a bottle of wine for under €50 for two in a decent place , same again another night for €33 but more down market .
Out of season and places to visit were half price , they raise 50% from March to Oct .
I would hate to be there during the summer i must say .
On the whole yep worth a visit i must say . 

-------------

Posted By: Scamper
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Was there last month for a few days . Now it had been 30 years since i was last there but very impressed i must say . Cheap yep i have to say we have starters mains and a bottle of wine for under €50 for two in a decent place , same again another night for €33 but more down market .
Out of season and places to visit were half price , they raise 50% from March to Oct .

cool. thanks pal. thinking of doing 2 days there in October between Tbilisi and Geneva 

-------------
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 9:09am

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

cool. thanks pal. thinking of doing 2 days there in October between Tbilisi and Geneva 
Really like the area called Monisaraki ( something like that anyway ) on the other hand there a few no go areas where you will get robbed i was told but none of them are on the tourist trail .

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Worst Kip In Europe in my view if I could pick one city in Europe to never visit again it be Paris. None the less enjoy 

For some damned reason, while I was in Paris I kept thinking of your post. I presume it was because of the Thierry Henry match...??? 

I've been to Paris twice both Ireland games. But this trip has made me look on the city completely differently. Having fine warm sunny weather when it would usually be snowy helped a lot 

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 8:08am

For some damned reason, while I was in Paris I kept thinking of your post. I presume it was because of the Thierry Henry match...??? 

I've been to Paris twice both Ireland games. But this trip has made me look on the city completely differently. Having fine warm sunny weather when it would usually be snowy helped a lot 
Someone from Dublin calling Paris a kip LOLLOLLOL

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 8:33am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Clap

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 10:19am

I'd say its more to do with Paris' reputation as a beautiful, romantic city.

I prefer Vienna and Prague.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 5:01pm

I am no fan of either city, for different reasons, but I feel that is a bit harsh. You can be from a place, live in a place and  love a place while still knowing it is a kip. 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 5:30pm

PM is like Beetlejuice, mention Dublin three times and he appears

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 6:19pm

PM is like Beetlejuice, mention Dublin three times and he appears

Funnily enough, he had the head of a Dub on him!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: CaroG
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 9:44am

Same happened to me actually! Was flying Nairobi to Lusaka via Harare.

Had forgotten that, pure jobs for the lads stuff 

Ethiopian Airlines flight from Addis Ababa to Nairobi crashes with 157 on board.....just remembered these few posts when I read it

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 10:54am
Kenya believe it 

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 5:23pm
One Irish national on board.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 9:41am
Lads, Lake Bled and Ljubljana, anybody been? Looking up a day trip whilst away for work.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 10:18am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Lads, Lake Bled and Ljubljana, anybody been? Looking up a day trip whilst away for work.

Bled is supposed to be stunning 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 10:27am

Yeah I’ve been.
Definitely worth a trip out to see it.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 12:41pm
Cheers lads. Ljubljana is a stunning little city. Mini Venice.

Impressed by Lake Bled too. And fair play to them, still cheap for a beer right on the lake. 

We really are being bent over a barrel.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 4:06am
Lake Bled was one of the cheapest places I've been in Europe. That was 6 years ago so was wondering if it had changed at all.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 8:50am
I was told the hotels around the lake are pricey but depends on their definition of pricey.

I gauge every place i go by the price of a beer. A 330ml bottle of staropramen was €2.20. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 9:03am

I was told the hotels around the lake are pricey but depends on their definition of pricey.

I gauge every place i go by the price of a beer. A 330ml bottle of staropramen was €2.20. 

Err that’s not particularly cheap 

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Well, in my eyes it is! I am sure there's f all other places in Europe with such a picturesque view charging €2.20 for a good bottle of beer. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 9:32am
back from Gdansk. great spot. top notch city for a weekend away. food and beer very reasonably priced. think it was about 2.70 for a pint of the local beer. 

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 2:30pm

I stayed in the hostel in front of the toboggan for 2 nights for about 20 euro a night and then stayed in one of the main hotels which ended up being 50 for the night, but that might have been because there was a local festival called "Bled Days" which takes place on the 3rd weekend of July each year. Would recommend any one who might be in Slovenia during this time to go to it.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 8:47pm

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Well, in my eyes it is! I am sure there's f all other places in Europe with such a picturesque view charging €2.20 for a good bottle of beer. 

You have been in Dublin too long 

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 9:15pm
not as long as you have been tight git 

Don’t mind him McG this is a lad who went to a different bar in Skjope as he heard it was 1.10 a pint rather than 1.25.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 6:59am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

not as long as you have been tight git 

Don’t mind him McG this is a lad who went to a different bar in Skjope as he heard it was 1.10 a pint rather than 1.25.

Leave him alone Baldie , NR is a legend to travel with you will always get the best deal wherever you go Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

Boeing seriously need to address their ‘auto stall recovery’ on the Max. Airlines also need to give extra training for the aircraft, it’s different then the NG which has been around for two decades. 

It seems the auto stall recovery in the two planes that crashed was an automatic system based on one sensor that may have been giving false readings in those cases.

It also seems that there are other sensors already installed on every plane that would have realised there were false readings, and overriden the automatic anti-stall system, or at least flagged it properly - if the airlines in question had paid extra for the safety system. They didn't, so the planes crashed. It was nothing other than a simple software extra that only takes Boeing a few minutes to install. However, despite it costing next to nothing extra to install, they charge thousands, if not tens or hundreds of thousands, per plane, for those safety extras.

Lion Air and Ethiopian did not pay for the extras so their planes crashed. It seems Boeing are now going to include it as standard. Which is only f**king right.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 12:03am
Honestly, you'd like to think the "this plane won't crash" safety system should be included as standard on a $100m aircraft.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 2:44pm
Wow air look like they're due to go bust, if anyone is flying with them soon I'd keep a close eye on it and get your travel insurance in order.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 3:07pm
anyone been to New York for New Years? thinking about going there for 5 nights on December 30th. 

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 3:12pm

anyone been to New York for New Years? thinking aout going there for 5 nights on December 30th. 
Millions.

-------------

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 3:52pm

anyone been to New York for New Years? thinking aout going there for 5 nights on December 30th. 

Me. I done it a few years ago, it’s an amazing experience if you’re in Times Square when the ball drops. However you will be in a pen waiting with hundreds of thousands for 10 hours or more, as you need to be their early for a good view. You can’t leave to use the toilet etc once you’re in the pen you’re in it.

I’d do it again, in another lock of years. We stayed in Times Square, I think the Plaza has their own sort of penned area we found out when we got there which would of made life easier. 
sounds like hell to me

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Me. I done it a few years ago, it’s an amazing experience if you’re in Times Square when the ball drops. However you will be in a pen waiting with hundreds of thousands for 10 hours or more, as you need to be their early for a good view. You can’t leave to use the toilet etc once you’re in the pen you’re in it.

I’d do it again, in another lock of years. We stayed in Times Square, I think the Plaza has their own sort of penned area we found out when we got there which would of made life easier. 
sounds like hell to me

+1 
10 hours in a pen in the cold...no toilet facilities.... 
why?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 4:58pm

sounds like hell to me

LOL LOL. I was thinking the same, squashed in a pen. Eve pigs can piss in the stye

-------------

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 5:03pm
Dundalk on NYE is where it’s atClapYou can even have a piss while drinking your pint hi

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 8:38am

Wow air look like they're due to go bust, if anyone is flying with them soon I'd keep a close eye on it and get your travel insurance in order.

Just gone tits up. creased operations 

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 8:40am

Dundalk on NYE is where it’s atClapYou can even have a piss while drinking your pint hi

LOL

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 8:52am

Halted operation, they're hoping an impending takeover goes through in the next few days.

Not looking great, but not dead yet

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 8:59am

Halted operation, they're hoping an impending takeover goes through in the next few days.

Nope gone bust

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0328/1039075-wow-air-flights/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0328/1039075-wow-air-flights/

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 9:02am
Norwegian be next I'd say

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 9:04am

why do you say that? now i haven't look at any of their financial communications recently or heard anything 

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 9:07am

why do you say that? now i haven't look at any of their financial communications recently or heard anything 

Don't have enough money coming in to meet their obligations I don't think, also been crippled by their Boeing's being out of action, first the 787's and now the 737-max.

Expanded too quickly, same as Primera Air and Wow Air did, both gone. Only thing here is I'd imagine Lufthansa or IAG (BA) will buy them up and keep them going.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 9:32am

Don't have enough money coming in to meet their obligations I don't think, also been crippled by their Boeing's being out of action, first the 787's and now the 737-max.

Expanded too quickly, same as Primera Air and Wow Air did, both gone. Only thing here is I'd imagine Lufthansa or IAG (BA) will buy them up and keep them going.

ya think? 

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Nope gone bust

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0328/1039075-wow-air-flights/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0328/1039075-wow-air-flights/
I spoke too soon

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 3:51pm
Bit worried that I've booked flights to CPH with Norwegian but if they hold on for the next couple of months we'll be grand.

Also booked flights to Lisbon with TAP and to Georgia with Wizz but I think both of them are solid enough.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 4:01am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Bit worried that I've booked flights to CPH with Norwegian but if they hold on for the next couple of months we'll be grand.

Also booked flights to Lisbon with TAP and to Georgia with Wizz but I think both of them are solid enough.
Obviously not a guarantee of anything but Norwegian have announced a new route to Toronto from Dublin beginning shortly so fingers crossed as Im due to go to NYC with them at the start of May. Their going bust would be a slight inconvenience to me also.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 8:27am
That route has no hope I wouldn't think, it's to Hamilton as opposed to Toronto and the fares aren't much cheaper than air Canada and Aer Lingus are to actual Toronto.

Useful for people in Buffalo and near the border but that's it. 

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 1:16pm

That route has no hope I wouldn't think, it's to Hamilton as opposed to Toronto and the fares aren't much cheaper than air Canada and Aer Lingus are to actual Toronto.

Great for Ireland based Bills fans so.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Great for Ireland based Bills fans so.

I'll stick to Toronto, wouldnt catch me on a 737 transatlantic! 

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 3:09pm
Has anyone been to Mauritius? Is it worth adding on for a few days after visiting South Africa?

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 5:59pm
Anyone fly Norwegian to New York lately? Headin in a week with them and just wondering how strict they are on hand luggage?

Posted By: Trevor.ie
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 6:34pm
Son went with them last summer, pretty relaxed about weight and size he saysThumbs Up

Posted By: cardwizzard
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Anyone fly Norwegian to New York lately? Headin in a week with them and just wondering how strict they are on hand luggage?

Flew to Providence last year and they weighed it coming home, was under the 10kg...

Was meant to fly to NY in late May for her birthday. They moved the outbound flight from 8.30am to think was 3 in the afternoon. Return leg was changed from 12noon to 8ish in the evening... Through a spanner in the works big time for us and we cancelled and we're refunded. Seems the 737 max has caused a few issues 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net