URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56732
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 1:17pm

Topic: Passport
Subject: Passport
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 12:09pm
QuestionLads passport runs out in March , but looking to maybe book the first game away in March shortly, can I still book using current passport even though I will have a new one come March ?

Posted By: Gigibongi33
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 12:22pm
 Just renew now online and you'll have the new passport in a week or so

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 12:33pm

QuestionLads passport runs out in March , but looking to maybe book the first game away in March shortly, can I still book using current passport even though I will have a new one come March ?

Yes, I don't see why not.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 12:40pm
If booking with Ryanair and the like they don't look for passport info until checking in

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 12:44pm
Of course. Very few airlines want your passport details on booking. Even if they do, book it using the old one, renew the passport, then bring both the old and the new one with you.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 12:48pm
Thanks for the replies lads Thumbs Up  Here we go again

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 2:23pm
Dave i recall some time ago i was told that travel in the EU you were fine up to one month before it expired .

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 2:25pm
You're fine once it hasn't expired.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 2:30pm
My passport runs out next year. To fly to America do you need to have 6 months left on it before flying?

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 2:34pm

My passport runs out next year. To fly to America do you need to have 6 months left on it before flying?

6months left from the date you leave the US as far as I know

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 3:32pm

Dave i recall some time ago i was told that travel in the EU you were fine up to one month before it expired .
Grand so Murph, I am going to renew it this week anyway

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Gigibongi33 Gigibongi33 wrote:

6months left from the date you leave the US as far as I know

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:58pm
I recal reading that huge numbers of people give the wrong passport number when booking their flights. But I have never heard of anyone ever getting any hassle over it happening? 

Posted By: eire32
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 8:13pm

Can travel right up to the expiry date within the eu

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 8:18pm
Including the Shetlands?

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 8:36pm

Including the Shetlands?
Yep until late March anyway 

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:19pm

I recal reading that huge numbers of people give the wrong passport number when booking their flights. But I have never heard of anyone ever getting any hassle over it happening? 

Years ago in Cork for Derry City game we got flights from Dublin when Ryainair for 1 Euro each way and no tax. One of the lads let another check him in online. One digit wrong on Passport number. Didn't let him board at Cork. 

The fella was not amused. Everyone else thought it was funny that he'd end up spending the best part of a day getting a bus back to Derry.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 12:48pm

Years ago in Cork for Derry City game we got flights from Dublin when Ryainair for 1 Euro each way and no tax. One of the lads let another check him in online. One digit wrong on Passport number. Didn't let him board at Cork. 

The fella was not amused. Everyone else thought it was funny that he'd end up spending the best part of a day getting a bus back to Derry.

Doub't that stuff happens anymore. Reading some tripadvisor online it just says you can change it at check in desk. But most of us just go straight through, I'm sure that if you have put the incorrect passport number in, it automatically fixs it and you go through without ever knowing you'd given the wrong one.

Think of all the Ireland trips and boobs on them, and never once hearing anyone been stopped for putting in the wrong numberErmm

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 12:57pm

Doub't that stuff happens anymore. Reading some tripadvisor online it just says you can change it at check in desk. But most of us just go straight through, I'm sure that if you have put the incorrect passport number in, it automatically fixs it and you go through without ever knowing you'd given the wrong one.

Think of all the Ireland trips and boobs on them, and never once hearing anyone been stopped for putting in the wrong numberErmm

Surely with data protection laws airlines don’t have the right to even check passport numbers these days? Imagine it’s solely a DFA requirement

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 1:19pm
You have to pay to get it changed, happened a friend of my father when they were going to Spain this year

Gobsh*te put his old Passport number as he checked in online not sure how much it cost him €50 I believe but I might be wrong

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:17pm
Shocked

Posted By: Adobolo
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:31pm
wife went over and back to England last week with Ryanair, she had a different surname on her passport than boarding pass (booked under marriage name but maiden on passport) never looked twice just walked straight on, they are just going trough the motions and you'd have to be very unlucky to be caught and charged extra.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:38pm
My above story wasn't with Ryanair actually so obviously Ryanair are being their usual incompetent selves.

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 7:30pm

Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 10:14am
can you renew a child’s passport on line?

Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 10:19am

I'd say so but not sure.  Renewed my own one there lately online.

Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 10:33am

I read your post and had this absolutely insane notion to check out the Foreign Affairs website, you know, theyre the lads that deal with passports and stuff. You’d be amazed at the info available there. Anyhow, I found this complete gold nugget of info that may help you. It did take me almost 6 seconds to find so I can appreciate why you didnt check for yourself.

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/usa/passports/top-passport-questions/consent-for-children/" rel="nofollow - https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/usa/passports/top-passport-questions/consent-for-children/

You’re welcomThumbs Up

Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 10:52am
ouch

Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 11:06am

No,
My wife is doing it for my daughter at the minute and we have to go to the Garda station. Not 100% sure why to be honest.

Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 11:15am

No,
My wife is doing it for my daughter at the minute and we have to go to the Garda station. Not 100% sure why to be honest.

I'd imagine it's to stop people getting a passport and running off with their kids

Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 1:10pm

No,
👍

Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 1:11pm

I read your post and had this absolutely insane notion to check out the Foreign Affairs website, you know, theyre the lads that deal with passports and stuff. You’d be amazed at the info available there. Anyhow, I found this complete gold nugget of info that may help you. It did take me almost 6 seconds to find so I can appreciate why you didnt check for yourself.

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/usa/passports/top-passport-questions/consent-for-children/" rel="nofollow - https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/usa/passports/top-passport-questions/consent-for-children/

You’re welcomThumbs Up
ah the jargon on here is easier on the eyes👍

Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 1:18pm
You can renew kids passports on line but you'll need to add a consent form signed and stamped by the GS
On line kids passports are €20 plus postage
Passport express €30 plus cost of photos and postage

Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 1:24pm
Yeah you can renew it online. You'll be send a link to print A4 page which with have kids photo on it and the parents names printed and you bring it to Garda station to have signatures witnessed. 
However when you do this both need to accompany the child to the station with Id and get form signed. 
So regardless ye all have to go to station anyway 

Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 10:40pm
It's a lot faster online. You can get the passport card now for children too with the online renewal.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 8:45am
Quick question. 

I booked a flight to new york last month with my old passport. My new one is out of date in may so my renewal one is due start of March.

Just wondering if I need to do anything about contacting the airline to update details etc?

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 9:08am
To book flight you just need name and date of birth don't ya?

Would be more the check-in where you would need the passport number and expiry. 

Your esta would obviously need to be done on the new passport but assuming you have not that done that yet?  

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 10:11am

Your esta would obviously need to be done on the new passport but assuming you have not that done that yet?  

Most airlines need you to submit passport info also.

Posted By: Jackal
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 7:28pm

Your passport doesn't need 6 months. We have an agreement with the USA.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

I don't believe this is correct. You need to apply for an ESTA and from what I recall you do need 6 months on your passport to do that.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 9:58am

I don't believe this is correct. You need to apply for an ESTA and from what I recall you do need 6 months on your passport to do that.

It's on dfa.ie 

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 10:12am

It's on dfa.ie 

Interesting - I didn't realise that we had the option also of applying for another type of visa outside of the ESTA.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 10:21am
Edit. 
I see other thread now 

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 12:02pm

It's on dfa.ie 

Interesting - I didn't realise that we had the option also of applying for another type of visa outside of the ESTA.

If you have been to Cuba,  you're barred from ESTA for life.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 12:08pm

It's on dfa.ie 

I didn't know that either!

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 2:12pm
I think you’ve to go to the American embassy and talk them through your reasons for being in Cuba.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 3:22pm
I've been to Cuba and then traveled to the US about 7 times after that.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 3:30pm

Tbf Ryanair only use it to name check your passport off your boarding pass

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 4:45pm

I was reading online it's something to do with their axis of evil countries. Seems to be if you went after a certain date. 

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 4:49pm
It was a long time since I went, AFAIK they don't stamp your passport - probably because of the above.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 5:56pm

It was a long time since I went, AFAIK they don't stamp your passport - probably because of the above.

Yep. Seem to recall reading/hearing somewhere that The Cubans stamp a piece of paper and attach it to your passport

Posted By: Cabs88
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 6:17pm

Same I’ve been to Cuba and no issue with entering the states subsequently 

Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 8:16pm

It's on dfa.ie 

It's not quite that cut and dry. The rule came in without much fuss last year, initially they didn't publicise it. It was then picked up on the by a few people, some parts of US government then said it was if you'd ever been, while some US embassies said it was only if you'd been after Trump declared Cuba a state sponsor of terrorism. They later adopted the latter position, so its only of you've been since Jan 2021. Regardless, most reports at the time said US border control were mostly ignoring enforcement.  

I went last year and had no hassle, I was in Cuba pre-2021, it wasn't even a question on the esta when I applied. 

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 9:22pm
So my new passport arrived yesterday. Do I need to let my airline know ivea different passport number now?