Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56621
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 6:23pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Conor Coventry
Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Subject: Conor Coventry
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:11am
Class disguised-pass assist for the first goal for the U19s v Bosnia Herz yesterday Clap:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=143&v=hGX9bCyowVU

Made his senior debut for West Ham in a Carabao Cup game a few weeks back now.  One for the future hopefully. 

Replies:
Posted By: Scissors Kick
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:23am
Hard to get excited about these dual lads at the moment.

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Completely agree.

Posted By: Dr. Pat
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Completely agree.

Same. My enjoyment of watching the highlights of the u-19s win against Bosnia was definitely tempered by how pivotal the three English-eligible players were in the win. Super ball from Coventry and great finish from Ferry for the first. Lovely interplay between Ferry and James to win the peno for the second. It's not right, as I have no reason to question the commitment of these 3 lads but the Rice situation has changed things for me.  

-------------
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 5:14pm
On the bench yesterday for West Ham in a premier league game.  Has shown huge talent at underage.  Only a matter of time before he makes a breakthrough it seems.  

I'd definitely like to see him called up to the seniors in a developmental capacity (at the very least), similar to how Wales do, or Mick did over 20 years ago with a man-child Richie Dunne.  We need to start blooding new players.  

Games again Norn Iron and Denmark coming up (with likely little to nothing riding on them) are ideal opportunities.  Jimmy Dunne and Josh Cullen too.  

Posted By: Liam Green
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 5:25pm
Absolutely, we need to move on really talented dual qualified players like Conor Coventry.. if he happens to turn down a senior call up now ,then it’s time to move on and give his place in the u 19s to somebody else so as to avoid the Declan Rice fiasco again..

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

On the bench yesterday for West Ham in a premier league game.  Has shown huge talent at underage.  Only a matter of time before he makes a breakthrough it seems.  

I'd definitely like to see him called up to the seniors in a developmental capacity (at the very least), similar to how Wales do, or Mick did over 20 years ago with a man-child Richie Dunne.  We need to start blooding new players.  

Games again Norn Iron and Denmark coming up (with likely little to nothing riding on them) are ideal opportunities.  Jimmy Dunne and Josh Cullen too.  

Seems like a no-brainer to me, especially given that the U-21's campaign is over. We need to start to learn, and cap young players with promise early. How on earth could incorporating a young talent like Coventry into the squad make us us any worse? You've got squad regulars like Meyler playing no first team football.

Saying all of that O'Neill's still in charge, and I'd be greatly surprised if he even made his next 50-something man preliminary squad.

Posted By: Howdo
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Seems like a no-brainer to me, especially given that the U-21's campaign is over. We need to start to learn, and cap young players with promise early. How on earth could incorporating a young talent like Coventry into the squad make us us any worse? You've got squad regulars like Meyler playing no first team football.

Saying all of that O'Neill's still in charge, and I'd be greatly surprised if he even made his next 50-something man preliminary squad.

I’d be surprised if he was even aware of him

Posted By: inlikeflynn
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 7:05am

Norn Iron is a friendly so won’t tie anyone to us. 

Posted By: mully_85
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

Norn Iron is a friendly so won’t tie anyone to us. 

Denmark is though... get him in amongst the squad, play him against the o6 and why not even cap him for the Denmark game. what is there to lose??? we been burnt too badly with Grealish and Rice, it would be crazy for us to be sitting here in 4 years time saying why didn't we do this, why didn't we do that... if he turns out to be sh*t then no odds about it!!

Posted By: mully_85
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 1:21pm
in before burnt Rice punLOL

Posted By: DalyerRegular
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 7:28pm
Makes the bench tonightClapClap

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by DalyerRegular DalyerRegular wrote:

I'd imagine it was a drilling experience for him.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: belt
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by DalyerRegular DalyerRegular wrote:

They've only named 6 subs so not a great achievement LOL

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 8:34pm
As said above, on the bench for West Ham's PL game last night, and likely to shortly go on loan, possibly to promotion chasers, Charlton Athletic, in League 1. 

This guy has real potential and should be involved in some shape or form with the senior squad asap. There's no doubt England will come calling some point soon, so we need to get him feeling happy and valued in the Irish camp.  No better man for that than Mick. 

Would be nice to see him and club-mate Declan in the senior squad for March.

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 9:03pm

As said above, on the bench for West Ham's PL game last night, and likely to shortly go on loan, possibly to promotion chasers, Charlton Athletic, in League 1. 

This guy has real potential and should be involved in some shape or form with the senior squad asap. There's no doubt England will come calling some point soon, so we need to get him feeling happy and valued in the Irish camp.  No better man for that than Mick. 

Would be nice to see him and club-mate Declan in the senior squad for March.

Wouldn't be getting too much of a horn over this lad yet LAR, West Ham had a serious injury list the other night, could only name six subs in all.

Posted By: DalyerRegular
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 1:46pm
Retains his place on the bench

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 6:02pm
Good to see.  Any injury problems WH have at senior level aside, Pelligrini must obviously rate him as the best player coming through their Academy, which is one of the best academies in the UK.  

Really hope the FAI, and particularly senior management, are taking note of this lad's rapid progression.  

Has a potentially huge future ahead of him and has already been stellar for us at underage.

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 6:39pm

Good to see.  Any injury problems WH have at senior level aside, Pelligrini must obviously rate him as the best player coming through their Academy, which is one of the best academies in the UK.  

Really hope the FAI, and particularly senior management, are taking note of this lad's rapid progression.  

Has a potentially huge future ahead of him and has already been stellar for us at underage.

Havnt heard much about him playing in our underage squads but hopefully in the next campaign he comes good. West Ham certainlybhave a very strong academy. Remember seeing a few of the u21 games last campaign and Josh Cullen was the standout player apart from Rice who’s another member of the academy.

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 8:01pm
Think we’d probably have a better chance of holding on to him as he has a more direct link than Rice given his mother is Irish

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Think we’d probably have a better chance of holding on to him as he has a more direct link than Rice given his mother is Irish
Lady Godiva?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Lady Godiva?

If wit was sh*t and all that

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 8:14pm

Lady Godiva?

I suppose any irony is relevant when talking about West Ham.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 8:16pm

Lady Godiva?

I suppose any irony is relevant when talking about West Ham.

Haha that’s true

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 2:13am
Was on the bench again today for West Ham senior team at only 18 yo.  

Hope to see him get fast-tracked to the senior squad, at least in a developmental capacity.  He's clearly a serious prospect. 

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:11am
Name checked by Kenny on Friday night as a player he is really looking forward to having in the 21s

Posted By: Rustybedsprings
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:16am
2 mins against Gibraltar. Surely now our lesson has been learned.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Rustybedsprings Rustybedsprings wrote:

That's the smart move here, I agree 

Posted By: Conan
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 4:15pm
Yeah or perhaps he - and his agent - would see it as a cynical ploy to tie down his options prematurely in which case it could backfire and not be so smart. 
Say he turns out in a few years to be not good enough for England but good enough for us but then we'd alienated him from representing us by pushing him in to committing too early? There's lots of hypotheticals you could throw on so just pick players at the moment they deserve to be picked and if they really want to play for us they will.

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 4:45pm
They could always just ask him if he wants to be included in a squad, but I suppose that would be far too sensible.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 7:08pm
On the bench again for West Ham's PL match tonight. 

Posted By: eddiebro
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 12:12am

Couldn't agree more. Time to call out these players and make them commit or depart.

Theres a few good dual nationality players in the underage ranks think they should depart like Keane and Grealish rather than making us train them and depart.

Posted By: Sullivinho
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 3:32am
Originally posted by eddiebro eddiebro wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Time to call out these players and make them commit or depart.

Theres a few good dual nationality players in the underage ranks think they should depart like Keane and Grealish rather than making us train them and depart.

Agreed.

All I'd add is that the player be 18 and genuinely capable of offering something.

An 18 year old knows where their heart/allegiance lies, assuming they possess either.

Reliable as our playing pool is on players not born on the island, I'd like if we developed a reputation for not entertaining mercenaries or option musers. The Welsh method can be seen as covetous and clingy, but I do admire the 's**t-or-get-off-the-pot' aspect of it.

Posted By: eddiebro
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Sullivinho Sullivinho wrote:

Originally posted by eddiebro eddiebro wrote:

Agreed.

All I'd add is that the player be 18 and genuinely capable of offering something.

An 18 year old knows where their heart/allegiance lies, assuming they possess either.

Reliable as our playing pool is on players not born on the island, I'd like if we developed a reputation for not entertaining mercenaries or option musers. The Welsh method can be seen as covetous and clingy, but I do admire the 's**t-or-get-off-the-pot' aspect of it.

Coventry can't be that far from our first team squad and a change in approach is probably needed. We shouldn't be calling up players like David Meyler with experience but struggling in the championship. Club form may dictate younger players call up but this appears to have back fired in the case of Liam Kelly, Scott Hogan (albeit briefly thinking he'd get an England call possibly) and now Rice. Surely if a dual nationality player is good enough for the bench of premiership mid table team he should be capped immediately by us or chucked aside if he rejects the call. 

Date Posted: 29 May 2019 at 5:49pm
We're terribly short in centre-mid now with all the pull-outs and injuries.  

This lad possibly the next best player available in that position.  Has been outstanding for us at u21, u19 and been in the first team picture with West Ham for a while.  Might be an idea to promote him from the Toulon squad.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 6:47pm
Nice piece on Coventry here - unlike Rice, he's second generation Irish:  

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/coventry-pins-colours-to-irish-mast-ahead-of-brazil-clash-38211107.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/coventry-pins-colours-to-irish-mast-ahead-of-brazil-clash-38211107.html

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 9:06am
Expected to sign a long-term contract with West Ham today

https://greenstreethammers.com/2020/01/03/west-ham-smart-choices-youth/" rel="nofollow - https://greenstreethammers.com/2020/01/03/west-ham-smart-choices-youth/
https://www.insidefutbol.com/2020/01/02/west-ham-score-coup-convince-in-demand-teen-talent-to-agree-new-deal/447382/" rel="nofollow - https://www.insidefutbol.com/2020/01/02/west-ham-score-coup-convince-in-demand-teen-talent-to-agree-new-deal/447382/

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 9:15am
Hope he sticks with us. Looks a very competent player in the little i have seen of him for the 21s.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 9:41am
Another great prospect in centre mid. Is his mother Irish?

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 9:47am
Yes.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 10:31am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Hope he sticks with us. Looks a very competent player in the little i have seen of him for the 21s.

Be shocked if he didn't.
Has played 25 times underage, is a key member of SK's U21s and I'd imagine will be capped by him within his first year of tenure.  So he'd have to make a big decision then and I get the impression SK is encouraging far more loyalty than we saw from the shambolic MoN in this area (remember his treatment of Obafemi when he was in the camp looking to be capped...).
As an aside on that, was reading about that whole incident and saw a quote from MoN talking about bringing in the younger players for the friendly and the last NL match - 'the 24, 25 and 26 year-olds' etc....thank fuk we're past that nonsense.

The bigger question about Coventry is will he make it to International standard.  Here's hoping as he's looked v good to this stage.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:51am
I'm sure Stephen Kenny has regular one on one chats with the most promising players in our under 21 set up with the promise of international honours at senior level if they keep playing well and show the hunger needed to be a top professional.

I'm no fan of McCarthy but at least over the last 6 months we have seen Connolly, Parrott, O'Connor, Travers etc all win caps so there's a definite pathway into the set up now (to a point) and with the emergence of numerous other good young players like Knight, Molumby, O'Shea, Collins etc any young player in our set up should be licking their lips about the bright future they could have with Ireland.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:56am
Some players have their heads turned by agents and money unfortunately.

Grealish could have been a superstar for Ireland, he could have earned 100+ caps, and possibly play at Europeans and World Cups which both would have opened further doors for him but he got his head turned and chose England and now years later still has yet to make an appearance.

That should be a lesson to a lot of these players.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Grealish could have been a superstar for Ireland, he could have earned 100+ caps, and possibly play at Europeans and World Cups which both would have opened further doors for him but he got his head turned and chose England and now years later still has yet to make an appearance.

On current form, Grealish should be in the England squad for Euros next summer which could be the opposite lesson you're intending.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:31pm
His mother is from Ringsend, I think. Based on interviews with him, I’d be fairly confident he’s nailed his colours to us

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

On current form, Grealish should be in the England squad for Euros next summer which could be the opposite lesson you're intending.

Grealish is 100% good enough to be playing some part for England but unfortunately for himself, there are a lot of good options covering his position.

It's nearly 5 years ago since he turned his back on us and you'd have to think he'd easily have 30+ caps by now.

I think he's a far bigger loss than Declan Rice will plenty of our young central midfielders starting to blossom.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:42pm
30? If he'd turned up when he was first wanted in 2015, he'd probably be closer to 50. I think he'll win some England caps, perhaps 10-15, but he's not exactly young anymore and England always have a new flavour of the month coming through, so you never know.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

30? If he'd turned up when he was first wanted in 2015, he'd probably be closer to 50. I think he'll win some England caps, perhaps 10-15, but he's not exactly young anymore and England always have a new flavour of the month coming through, so you never know.

Agreed. Unless there are a few injuries, I don’t see Jack going to the Euros this summer. He’ll need to move to a top 6 club to get his chance, don’t see him getting many England call-ups as he’s battling relegation with Villa. 

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Sadly this is true, some of the football he's playing for villa is incredible. Very likely that england will have a midfield of rice and grealish...

I disagree that he'll only get 10-15 caps however, there are no england players that can carry the ball like him. If he continues to play the way he is he could look to get 50 caps. 

Posted By: JoxerDaly
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:51pm
The attacking options England have at the moment is incredible. Maddison has moved ahead of him now aswel as Sancho, Sterling and Alli. He will do well to ever play in major championships with the likes of Foden aswel coming up behind him.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

The attacking options England have at the moment is incredible. Maddison has moved ahead of him now aswel as Sancho, Sterling and Alli. He will do well to ever play in major championships with the likes of Foden aswel coming up behind him.

He'll play in this summer's Euros unless his form falls of a cliff.

He's better than Maddison

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Maddison's been around the squad for a while, and has a cap. Southgate's not likely to risk a new cap in the Euros.
I think Grealish with end his career with around 30 caps

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Posted By: Andrew00
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 2:14pm
Coventry linked with a loan move to MK Dons and Lincoln.

Appleton for Lincoln must've liked what he seen at the last u21 game as they signed Elbouzedi and are linked with several of our u21 stars

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 2:17pm

Wouldn't agree with that. Maddison looks like the more rounded player - the type that tend to be more suited to international football than the likes of Grealish.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Wouldn't agree with that. Maddison looks like the more rounded player - the type that tend to be more suited to international football than the likes of Grealish.
He’s not fat at all!

-------------

Posted By: JoxerDaly
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 2:53pm
Grealish is a top player no doubt but better than Maddison ? Not a hope. Plus he cost Villa a cpuple of goals this season by getting robbed badly while in posesion something Southgate will be well aware of.

Posted By: eboue16
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 2:54pm
Maddison is Ross Barkley II

-------------
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 3:18pm
Well if there's one thing that we learned from the last nations league is that the results ment f**k all as we still ended up in the play offs. Any one suspected of jumping ship should be called up to play in the autumn and if they don't play should be told where to go.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: jamie2905
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by eboue16 eboue16 wrote:

Maddison is Ross Barkley II

I totally disagree with you. He is a quality player and has shown it on a consistent basis.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 4:04pm
I've never been that impressed by Maddison all the way back to his Norwich days. I think Grealish probably is a better footballer, but therein lies a problem with choosing England; it doesn't really matter who's better because Maddison is more in vogue with the media, and thus he'll be the one who's picked.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Well if there's one thing that we learned from the last nations league is that the results ment f**k all as we still ended up in the play offs. Any one suspected of jumping ship should be called up to play in the autumn and if they don't play should be told where to go.

+1 on this... a good opportunity to try a new formation and get some players capped, not just to see if they are serious about ireland but to also give players like knight and molumby some competitive senior experience.

One of the only reasons Whelan, McLean and Hendrick will play in the playoffs is their experience.

Posted By: Crosby87
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 6:01pm
Coventry reminds me of a young Ger Crossley.

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Crosby87 Crosby87 wrote:

Coventry reminds me of a young Ger Crossley.

I take it in appearance  as opposed to style of play?

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 7:31pm
Was there ever any issues with Crossley declaring for ROI?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 1:16pm

Grealish is a top player no doubt but better than Maddison ? Not a hope. Plus he cost Villa a cpuple of goals this season by getting robbed badly while in posesion something Southgate will be well aware of.

I enjoy watching Grealish, but i dont think he will have much of an England career, if he has any at all. He's a throwback to flair players of old. Good eye for a pass, flair player etc but lacking in his other contributions to the team. That'll only take him so far in the hyper-competitive Barclays Premier these days

I think grealish will get less than 5 England caps and will become a cult player of our time as one of those lads who was frustrating, talented, never got to show it at the elite level, but Mundial will be interviewing people in the Holte End 20 years from now about what he was like in his pomp.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

I enjoy watching Grealish, but i dont think he will have much of an England career, if he has any at all. He's a throwback to flair players of old. Good eye for a pass, flair player etc but lacking in his other contributions to the team. That'll only take him so far in the hyper-competitive Barclays Premier these days

I think grealish will get less than 5 England caps and will become a cult player of our time as one of those lads who was frustrating, talented, never got to show it at the elite level, but Mundial will be interviewing people in the Holte End 20 years from now about what he was like in his pomp.
I think grealish is excellent it sickens me every time I see him play that Southgate turned his head.
He would have been a massive player for us.
Especially now that we can buy a goal he would have got us playing.
Lads used rave about Wes if grealish was brought on board when he should have been he would have ended up with double the caps wes had and treble the goals and that’s not a dig at Wes.

A way bigger loss than rice 

Posted By: Andrew00
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 6:22pm
Looks like he's going on loan to Lincoln

Like I said the last day, Lincoln have been linked with several Irish u21 players 

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Andrew00 Andrew00 wrote:

Looks like he's going on loan to Lincoln

Like I said the last day, Lincoln have been linked with several Irish u21 players 

Interesting and he can link up with Elbouzedi there.
If they both started getting game time then it would be a team to watch.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 4:59pm
Played the full 90 mins for Lincoln.

Is that his 1st start in senior football?

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:48pm
Starring for Lincoln again today with Elbouzedi on the bench, would be good if these two have a good 2nd half of the season 

Posted By: Englishborn
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 1:46pm
as an English fan, I hope grealish gets in the squad now for the euros  with kanes injury,  hes a much better option than someone like ings. Rashford can play as the central striker,  with grealish as a wide option,  though we do have the possibility of a certain Jamie vardy.  You are right though, attacking wise, England have some incredible talent. Sancho, sterling , odoi, maddison,  rashford,  kane, grealish,  abraham.  Possibly only second to france

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:50pm

A class act Grealish
Far better than Maddison 

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 12:17am

A class act Grealish
Far better than Maddison 

Grealish is the main man in Villa's team everything goes through him, whereas Maddison is one of handful of main men in Leicester's team, simple stats don't always tell the full story.

Some could argue that Villa's team isn't as good as Leicester's, which would be correct but how many times have we seen over the years where certain players tend to thrive in their little goldfish bowls and then suddenly bomb when they aren't the main man anymore and are in a far more competitive environment?

Far better than Maddison is a ridiculous thing to say.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 8:02pm
On the bench for lincoln today with Scully.

Elbouzedi seems to miss out? 

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 9:22am
Looks like he is getting on quite well with Lincoln so far.

https://twitter.com/LincolnCity_FC/status/1236940080494895105" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/LincolnCity_FC/status/1236940080494895105

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: PaddyDaCulchie
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 9:52am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Looks like he is getting on quite well with Lincoln so far.

https://twitter.com/LincolnCity_FC/status/1236940080494895105" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/LincolnCity_FC/status/1236940080494895105

He has been in and out of the time, started last few but nothing to shout about

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 11:06am
I've actually watched (on that iFollow 80's feed) Lincoln a couple of times to see himself and Scully.
Both playing well enough and settling in nicely.
Good to see them getting regular pro-football and it can only help them realise their potential.
As for what that potential will be, only time will tell.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 11:17am
Wow a year since the last post on the newly-called up lad and it was an excellent post, to be fair Embarrassed

I don't think this callup is as left-field as we may think.
With McCarthy out we only have Cullen as a specialist holding midfielder.  Sure, we've tried the likes of Hendrick and Hourihane in there but that's not their forte, especially Hourihane.

Coventry is a holding midfielder all day long and having him in now is a positive.
I'm curious who will backfill him in the 21s.

Posted By: TheNumber6
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Wow a year since the last post on the newly-called up lad and it was an excellent post, to be fair Embarrassed

With McCarthy out we only have Cullen as a specialist holding midfielder.  Sure, we've tried the likes of Hendrick and Hourihane in there but that's not their forte, especially Hourihane.

Coventry is a holding midfielder all day long and having him in now is a positive.

Jamie Bowdren

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 11:21am
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

Jamie Bowden

Yeah, he was an obvious omission.
The 21s meet up today so hopefully some news emerges.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 12:05pm

For me Molumby is a holding midfielder, that's where he played for the u21s under Kenny. He would always be the player to receive the ball from the back four.

Molumby has bags of running in him but he's not great in the final third of the pitch so he's not an end to end midfielder.

If Molumby focuses on becoming a number 6 I think he'll have a fantastic career.

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

For me Molumby is a holding midfielder, that's where he played for the u21s under Kenny. He would always be the player to receive the ball from the back four.

Molumby has bags of running in him but he's not great in the final third of the pitch so he's not an end to end midfielder.

If Molumby focuses on becoming a number 6 I think he'll have a fantastic career.

Not sure about that. Coventry was the sitter of the two. Not to deny that Molumby would take it off the back four, but Jayson was the box-to-box mid, and he was the one of the two who advanced forward. 

Given his energy, Jayson is a mid who likes to drive forward with the ball and carry the team up the pitch. Unfortunately his technical ability can indeed let him down in the final third, this why Connor Ronan complimented him so well in that final third. 

The Under 21's had a lovely balance in midfield between the three. A shame that we don't have a technically gifted number 10 available to us.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 1:47pm
Agree that he played as a box to box midfielder but I don't think he is very good in that role. This is where he's been deployed at Preston but he's not as good in the final third as someone like Knight or smallbone.

Only my opinion but for me molumby is really good at breaking up the play and winning back possession, he's very good at receiving the ball from the back four and either driving forward into the opposition midfield or finding the pass to a more advanced player. Hes got good pace and energy to burn.

If he could just focus on that and look to get the ball to more attacking midfielders I feel he'll be a great player for us.

At the moment I watch him and he covers every blade of grass on the pitch and burns himself out. He then gets caught out of position and leaves gaps in the midfield. 

In short I think he tries to do too much of everything and not focus on the things he does very well.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 8:27pm
Declan Rice out for a month or more. Fingers crossed Conor gets a chance and stakes a claim. Probably a place up for grabs for next season with Noble reaching the end of his career

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 9:19pm
Hes not even on the bench tonight is he

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 10:39pm
They couldn't find a space for him on the bench it seems. They found space for two sub keepers though.

Maybe he had a knock, but if he didn't that surely tells him all he needs to know about how he is rated there.

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

They couldn't find a space for him on the bench it seems. They found space for two sub keepers though.

Maybe he had a knock, but if he didn't that surely tells him all he needs to know about how he is rated there.
He’ll not make it.

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 11:30pm
I suspect he had a knock, maybe that was why he left the Ireland squad. He is highly rated by the fans and club insiders, there is a view that he is the natural successor to Rice and that he should be picked ahead of Noble ( google 'Conor Coventry News Now' to see some of the comments). Must be some chance of him making the first team.

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 3:41am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

I suspect he had a knock, maybe that was why he left the Ireland squad. He is highly rated by the fans and club insiders, there is a view that he is the natural successor to Rice and that he should be picked ahead of Noble ( google 'Conor Coventry News Now' to see some of the comments). Must be some chance of him making the first team.

Didn’t realise he left the squad?

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 12:40pm
Didn't realise that either. That would suggest he has an injury of some sort, which would make more sense to be fair.

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 8:53pm
Coventry and odubeko started for the West Ham u23s today. Hopefully that'll see then both available for thr weekend.

I guess there are still question marks of odubeko at the moment but it would be good to see Coventry get a few mins between not and the end of thr season

Posted By: Nialler
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 10:58pm
No way are they getting minutes with WH chasing CL

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 11:07pm
Soucek was in the wars towards the end of that game last night so 👀

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 12:46am
Been doing well in preseason for West Ham looks to have played 90 mins in each of the last 2 games as well as scoring in both.

Posted By: greenshoots
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 9:00am
Great to see him doing well. Looks like he might get some meaningful game time and finally push on

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 9:42pm
Hopefully this is the start of something for him but I'd be fairly confident that he'll resume his unused sub role at West Ham once the league restarts.

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Hopefully this is the start of something for him but I'd be fairly confident that he'll resume his unused sub role at West Ham once the league restarts.

Hes not going to play for West Ham in the premier league unless it's a token 10mins off the bench at the end of the game.

Coventry is rated quite highly and needs to play Week in week out in the championship if possible first.

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 10:24pm
West Ham let 4th slip last year because their small squad size and lack of rotation, players got injured while others were ran into the ground. If Moyes is smart, he'll integrate these lads sooner rather than later be it in the FA Cup, League Cup or Europe.

Its now or never with Coventry and West Ham.

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

West Ham let 4th slip last year because their small squad size and lack of rotation, players got injured while others were ran into the ground. If Moyes is smart, he'll integrate these lads sooner rather than later be it in the FA Cup, League Cup or Europe.

With the League Cup and Europa there’s every chance surely he now gets his run? I don’t know do ye frequent Twitter but I noticed a batch of Rotherham fans talking about how he was pencilled in for a loan deal weeks back and are non plussed it hasn’t come to pass yet. 

Soucek Rice aside unless they are signing a midfielder his competition is what is there at the moment in pre season from what I see? He is also standing out going by the general vibe from that fanbase even at the expense of the really talented Ben Johnson. 

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

This is it and with 3 young Irish players there very handy as far as young players on the verge of a breakthrough at West Ham go the hope is this might be to our benefit. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net