Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56588
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 1:46pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Metallica or The Cure
Posted By: lassassinblanc
Subject: Metallica or The Cure
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 5:02pm
It's the biggest decision in Ireland since Collins vs Dev or Keane vs Big Mick.

What would you do

Replies:
Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 5:11pm
I like the last option Thumbs Up

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 5:14pm
A bunch of ****s with a couple of decent albums or one of the greatest bands of all time... A real tester!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 5:22pm
The Cure Clap

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 5:27pm
The cure, metallica are pure sh*te

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 5:34pm
A referendum issue?

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 5:43pm
Lars wants all your money, be nice and give it to him

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 6:42pm
I d rather listen to Martin o Neill talking about crop rotation in the 14th century than listen to the cure

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

I d rather listen to Martin o Neill talking about crop rotation in the 14th century than listen to the cure
That's because you're the cause.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

That's because you're the cause.

I am the cause of crop failure ? 

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 9:11pm
I wouldn't rule it out!

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 11:37pm
2 f**king sh*te hairball bands

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 11:51pm
Feel like Father Dougal when Father Damo asks him oasis or blur

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 12:47am
Cure for me all day long and I don’t even love cats.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 12:47am
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Feel like Father Dougal when Father Damo asks him oasis or blur
Very different as they were two great bands whose fans were divided by England's class structure and along the north and south divide.
It was also the defining question of my adolescence.

-------------

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 2:33am
Metallica all day. Master of Puppets is still one of the finest albums to this day.

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 4:00am
Biscuit.....no, cake.....

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 6:34am
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Metallica all day. Master of Puppets is still one of the finest albums to this day.

Behind Disintegration 

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

The live S&M album is fantastic.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 8:17am
The cure will play Malahide Castle

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 8:39am
OK THINGS JUST GOT REAL WITH THE CURE...

RUMOURS GIVEN THAT 2019 MARKS 30 YEARS SINCE THE RELEASE OF DISINTEGRATION THEY WILL PLAY THE ALBUM IN ITS ENTIRETY AS PART OF THEIR SET

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 9:05am
Just stuck Disintegration on there for the first time in a while, what an album!

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 11:00am

Just stuck Disintegration on there for the first time in a while, what an album!

it's up there as one of my favourite albums of all time.

It's so dark and depressing yet amazingly uplifting at the same time.

I went to see the Cure in Hyde Park during the summer and they opened with Plain Song I have never felt like crying at a gig more then I did at that moment, just the most beautiful opening song of any album ever.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 11:07am
Great song to open a gig with. I would love to see them live, would having been to Hyde Park twice I wasn't going again. Terrible music venue.
Robert Smith curated the Southbank festival this year, I think them closing it at a tiny venue like that would have been close to a religious experience.

-------------

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 12:54pm
love both bands but Metallica in slane trumps the cure in Malahide . Never warmed to that venue plus I would rather see them indoors for some reason. 

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 9:48am
Thumbs Up Picked up Cure tickets after some panic with Ticketmaster doing its usually gobsh*tery

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 11:13pm
https://www.theguardian.com/global/video/2019/apr/01/the-cures-robert-smith-offers-blunt-response-to-overzealous-tv-host-video" rel="nofollow - https://www.theguardian.com/global/video/2019/apr/01/the-cures-robert-smith-offers-blunt-response-to-overzealous-tv-host-video

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 11:25am
Seen that the other day, brilliant response from Smith

The whole interview in question is ridiculous, Your wan whoever she is?? was either extremely star struck (which would make you thing why she was there in the first place) or had participated in a few too many pre show drinks.

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 11:28am
the Cure every day and twice on sunday , metallica are good but they aint that good. 
saw the cure live last year cant waitr until they come round again 

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 2:51pm
Been offered a couple of Cure tickets but had begun to think about going to Denmark after Tuesday's performance and the gig is the day after. Might be a bit messy getting back in time, not to mention the state I'd probably be in...

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 5:29pm
I really like the Cure but I will be going to Slane to see Metallica.

Brass Against are also playing the same bleedin night, saw them in Feb and they are f**kin brilliant!

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 7:18pm
https://www.nme.com/news/music/video-robert-smiths-withering-putdown-monarchy-gone-viral-2481628" rel="nofollow - https://www.nme.com/news/music/video-robert-smiths-withering-putdown-monarchy-gone-viral-2481628

Just when you think he can't get any better, he does!Clap

-------------

Posted By: Adobolo
Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 3:03pm
Two tickets for Metallica for sale if anyone interested for €40 less than cost, I’ve decided to go to Denmark for the game instead and need to get rid of them

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 11:09am
Just over 48 hours to go!!!

Posted By: Neil Armstrong
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 11:48am
What will the Weather be like for Slane?

-------------
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

What will the Weather be like for Slane?

Looks dodgy.

GnR in 2017 performed in poor conditions, which subsided before the gig started, so perhaps we’ll get that!

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 12:24pm
https://www.rte.ie/weather/43965-slane/%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/weather/43965-slane/

-------------

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 12:48pm
camping so could be a disasterLOL

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 1:10pm
Really looking forward to this, no real option to drive though as only landing back in Dublin Saturday afternoon so will be heading straight to the venue from the airport. car park will probably be a mud bath at it

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 4:29pm
I have been told of plenty of tickets to the Cure on Toutless

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 11:43am
#teamcure

Our castle is better than yours

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 12:41pm
I can't believe Metallica are leading this.

It's a bit alarming that every year Robert Smith looks more and more like someones aunty, but they are a great band.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 11:15am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

It's a bit alarming that every year Robert Smith looks more and more like someones aunty, but they are a great band.

What’s hard to believe? Metallica were the ones playing to 75k people last night, the cure weren’t

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 11:53am
Great day out in Slane yesterdayThumbs Up some showers alright but nobody gave a fcuk plenty to eat and drink, Fangclub, Bokassa, STF,, Ghost all put on a great show and finally Metallica, brilliant👍 Slane 2019👏

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

What’s hard to believe? Metallica were the ones playing to 75k people last night, the cure weren’t
Westlife regularly filled Croke Park

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 12:57pm
A mark of Westlife’s quality.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

A mark of Westlife’s quality.
Not to mention Shane and Nicky.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 1:13pm
The Cure were brilliant last night.

A set list for the real fans. Loads of people present who hadn't a breeze of any songs bar Friday I'm in Love and Just like heaven 

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 1:29pm
Metallica were excellent last night. Little slip ups, including Hetfield repeating the first verse of Enter Sandman, but the band were very tight. The setlist encompasses a lot of Hardwired, and a lot of their historical greatest hits. It actually was the first Metallica gig I’ve been to in two decades where I didn’t get to hear a song I had not heard before. Certainly a diverse range of fans from the hardcore fanatics, to the soft fans, to the Slane devotees who will attend Slane no matter who plays.

I was also interested in Ghost, which included a short came from Papa Emeritus II. They are show-people and the lead singer was quite entertaining in the words he chose when addressing the crowd. I saw nothing of the other support acts.

After GnR in 2017, I’ve come to accept some of the difficulties associated with Slane. The long walk for the bus being one of them, the dispersed beer stations and the limited choice of beer. The toilets will probably never be able to sufficiently cater for 75,000 people. Driving is the way to go, and it is better to arrive to the car park around 4pm, and the venue is next door. Bussing it is something I’d probably not be willing to do again.

Looking forward to seeing them again in Twickenham in 10 days time.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 1:36pm
I had never heard any of 'Ghost's' stuff, so I just put them on. Sounds like a generic Nordic entry to the Eurovision.LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

The Cure were brilliant last night.

A set list for the real fans. Loads of people present who hadn't a breeze of any songs bar Friday I'm in Love and Just like heaven 
Crowd were sh*te

Music and setlist were amazing

29 songs

39 from Bloodflowers was immense - never expected that

Wendy Time also - they've barely ever played it live

They could put together three different setlists and all would be brilliant

Robert Smith is a beautiful man - as beautiful as Virgil van Dijk and Shane Duffy

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 2:24pm
Very true Sid.

Didn't expect there to be so many let's call them blowin fans. 

Highlight for me was the faces on the group of 16 year girls in front of us during 100 years.

Hadn't a breeze LOL

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 2:42pm

I had never heard any of 'Ghost's' stuff, so I just put them on. Sounds like a generic Nordic entry to the Eurovision.LOL

I’d actually agree to an extent!

But I will say I liked their show!

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 3:21pm
I would imagine they do a lot of gimmicky things. Personally, that's where I struggle with metal in general. It all gets a bit too camp for me. That and bad fretting. 

I do like a bit of black metal though, especially the symphonic Norwegian stuff. Some bad ****s made the music, but it is genuinely misanthropic. I find it cathartic.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 4:06pm

Metallica were excellent last night. Little slip ups, including Hetfield repeating the first verse of Enter Sandman, but the band were very tight. The setlist encompasses a lot of Hardwired, and a lot of their historical greatest hits. It actually was the first Metallica gig I’ve been to in two decades where I didn’t get to hear a song I had not heard before. Certainly a diverse range of fans from the hardcore fanatics, to the soft fans, to the Slane devotees who will attend Slane no matter who plays.

I was also interested in Ghost, which included a short came from Papa Emeritus II. They are show-people and the lead singer was quite entertaining in the words he chose when addressing the crowd. I saw nothing of the other support acts.

After GnR in 2017, I’ve come to accept some of the difficulties associated with Slane. The long walk for the bus being one of them, the dispersed beer stations and the limited choice of beer. The toilets will probably never be able to sufficiently cater for 75,000 people. Driving is the way to go, and it is better to arrive to the car park around 4pm, and the venue is next door. Bussing it is something I’d probably not be willing to do again.

Would have liked something of death magnetic on the set list but really enjoyed it.

Last night was the first time I drove, came in from the drogheda direction instead of the usual northern direction, the car park was much closer on this side so a lot less walking involved.

I still prefer the bus though, it’s a longer walk coming from the Dundalk side but just prefer the craic doing it that way

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Would have liked something of death magnetic on the set list but really enjoyed it.

Last night was the first time I drove, came in from the drogheda direction instead of the usual northern direction, the car park was much closer on this side so a lot less walking involved.

I still prefer the bus though, it’s a longer walk coming from the Dundalk side but just prefer the craic doing it that way

Metallica have always regulated their setlist based on whether the tour is “promotional” or not. Hence the five songs from Hardwired last night. A decade ago you would have had four or five DM songs per gig as it was the DM tour.

But like you say, I’d like to have seen at least one song, and a bit more Kill em All.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 5:51pm
we camped.  If anyone good plays again I would defo do it that way again.  Both ghost and Metallica were excellent.  Great weekend's craic.  Get to do it all again next month in Gothenburg!

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 6:15pm
Just read Metallica donated €35k to the Capucian Day Centre which does fantastic work with the homeless in Dublin.

Clap

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 12:54pm
James Hetfield returned to rehab. 

Very sad to hear. Addiction is such a curse.

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 1:09pm

James Hetfield returned to rehab. 

Very sad to hear. Addiction is such a curse.
In most cases I would agree, he is a very disagreeable individual though.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 1:10pm
No intention of entertaining that.

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 1:15pm

Nobody asked you to! I understand you are a big fan, I’m not and that is largely down to the fact that are horrid people. They have written some excellent music, but just watch ‘Some Kind of Monster’. It’s an amazing documentary, but it really highlights how petty and greedy they all are, Hetfield and the **** on drums in particular.

-------------

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 1:26pm

Nobody asked you to! I understand you are a big fan, I’m not and that is largely down to the fact that are horrid people. They have written some excellent music, but just watch ‘Some Kind of Monster’. It’s an amazing documentary, but it really highlights how petty and greedy they all are, Hetfield and the **** on drums in particular.

You've watched some amount of documentaries, movies and TV shows. Are you semi-retired?

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

You've watched some amount of documentaries, movies and TV shows. Are you semi-retired?
And read a lot of books and listened to a lot of music. Just have an interest in things really.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 11:34pm
Metallica have uploaded the entire Slane gig on YouTube, just after watching the whole thing again Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 12:28pm
Picked up tickets to Dublin show today!! 

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 12:40pm
Would anyone have a 3 pre sale code for tickets to the Cure if they are not using them?

-------------

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Would anyone have a 3 pre sale code for tickets to the Cure if they are not using them?

Went to get one there for you but they're gone now.

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 4:41pm
Cheers. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 4:44pm
MCD pre sale either

-------------

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 5:12pm
A mate of mine got me a ticket earlier. I'd always been more of a greatest hits man with them but then I saw their gig on the BBC from Glastonbury. I'd say I only knew about half the setlist but they were brilliant.

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

MCD pre sale either
starts tomorrow @9. Just have to register with MCD. No code in email.

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 8:46pm
Yeah should be more tickets (standing) in mcd sale,

Usually only a % go on sale during presale 

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 11:04pm
If the Cure were playing in my toilet I would have a piss in the garden 

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 12:02am

Is it yourself that hates the mighty Mode as well? It's very easy to sneer down from your musical ivory tower. Throw us out a few of your favourite bands there and we'll see if they stand up to scrutiny.

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 7:52am
the cure are a bit marmite tbf. I like them too.

-------------
No Pasaran!

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Is it yourself that hates the mighty Mode as well? It's very easy to sneer down from your musical ivory tower. Throw us out a few of your favourite bands there and we'll see if they stand up to scrutiny.
NRs favs were Wham , Pet Shop Boys , Lady Gaga & Adam and the Ants when i saw his CD collection Embarrassed

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

NRs favs were Wham , Pet Shop Boys , Lady Gaga & Adam and the Ants when i saw his CD collection Embarrassed

I'm probably not doing myself any favours here but apart from Adam and the Ants I wouldn't argue too much about the rest. Whatever about Wham, George Michael's solo albums "Listen Without Prejudice" and "Older" are both well worth a listen. The Pet Shop Boys have had some great tunes down the years, and even Lady Gaga, when she stops the mad sh*te and it's just her and a piano, has a couple of great songs. I'd have thought that NR would be more into the likes of Nana Mouskouri or Glenn Medeiros.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net