Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56577
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 5:46am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Football Commentary
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: Football Commentary
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 7:02pm
I have an idea.  Why do channels bother with boring commentators such as Martin 'pallbearer' Tyler and his ilk?

Far better just have the lads back in the studio discussing the game  I reckon with the live feed of the game simultaneously. Gives a much better insight than just the 'expert analysis' for 2 mins at half time then a break then a bit after the match. 

Have Souness, Andrews, Kerr and Tommy Presenter discussing it. Gives a 'watching it live with experts' or a  down the pub feel to it.   Get better interaction that way than just some boring commentator with an ex player co-commentator.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 7:04pm
I miss David Pleat.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I have an idea.  Why do channels bother with boring commentators such as Martin 'pallbearer' Tyler and his ilk?

But who would shout AND ITS LIIIIIVE before the ad break before kick off?

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

But who would shout AND ITS LIIIIIVE before the ad break before kick off?

What's the point of him saying that every game 30 seconds before kick off?  I know Martin.  I've tuned in because I know its fooking live plus if I am in any doubt (which I'm not) it has 'live' written in the corner of the screen under Sky Sports.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 7:39pm
I’ve no idea
Its become a catchphrase for him 

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 7:53pm

I’ve no idea
Its become a catchphrase for him 

Catchphrase? Say what you see. Well I see a useless commentator.  Should we expect a 'Cant touch this' type novelty record from him any month now with 'And it's live!' replacing ''Can't touch this''.  Also a sitcom where situations arise where he can trot out his catchphrase? 

''Hi Dad.  Me and Alison want to go see Britney Spears at the NEC Birmingham tonight.''
''Oh wow. Can I come?''
''Oh dad you wouldn't like it.''
''I actually like her music. I bought a CD of hers back in the day.''
''Really?!''
''Yes! I've always wanted to see her in person. And it's LIVE!!!!!!!!''

(cue coughing from the live studio audience)

or

ESB adverts warning children of the dangers of touching electricity wires like they used to show back in the 80's when children were thick as sh*t and had to be told not to put their hands in fire etc..

Martin Tyler pops up to warn a child retrieving a football from a power line. 

''No son you don't want to do that!''
''Why is that Mr. Tyler?''
''Because its LIVE!''

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 9:22pm
Souness on the analysis on virgin media at half time there kept refer to "our teams" and "our style" in Europe, talking about (presumably) English (maybe British generally) teams in Europe.

Eh yeah, except you're on Irish TV, you f**king gobsh*te.

-------------

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:21am
Hamilton & Houghton were as dull as fook last night on RTE. Even with an injury time winner they couldn't sound a bit excited, boring coonts

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:23am
Was out watching Liverpool v West Ham the other week in a boozer here : the channel they had it on had an issue with the commentary so for the first 20 minutes it was just the stadium noise and nothing else. It was glorious !

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:24am
You were lucky, I had to listen to Steve McManaman

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:43am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Souness on the analysis on virgin media at half time there kept refer to "our teams" and "our style" in Europe, talking about (presumably) English (maybe British generally) teams in Europe.
Eh yeah, except you're on Irish TV, you f**king gobsh*te.
At least he's British and played for English teams.

What excuse do Tommo and Anto down the pub have talking in their fake Scouse or Manc accents calling the players by their first name ?

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:44am
Commentators talk way way too much.

Back to the days of David Coleman - "Toshack, Keegan, one nil".

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Was out watching Liverpool v West Ham the other week in a boozer here : the channel they had it on had an issue with the commentary so for the first 20 minutes it was just the stadium noise and nothing else. It was glorious !

This is exactly what should be offered by channels giving live coverage. It surely couldn't be that hard to have an option to turn George Hamilton or whoever off, but still get all the pitch side sounds.

99 percent of commentary now is poison. The constant need to talk is painful. They simply can't let there be dead air for any moment. Then you have the likes of Hamilton who confuses half a football team in every game ' and that's Mane on the ball now. He passes it to Mane out wide who takes on the full back. He pulls it back to Mane on the edge of the box and what a shot, off the bar!!' It's totally shameful at this point that lads like him are still getting paid for this level of work.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Commentators talk way way too much.

Back to the days of David Coleman - "Toshack, Keegan, one nil".

Clap Clap Clap

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:04am
Clap

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

This is exactly what should be offered by channels giving live coverage. It surely couldn't be that hard to have an option to turn George Hamilton or whoever off, but still get all the pitch side sounds.

99 percent of commentary now is poison. The constant need to talk is painful. They simply can't let there be dead air for any moment. Then you have the likes of Hamilton who confuses half a football team in every game ' and that's Mane on the ball now. He passes it to Mane out wide who takes on the full back. He pulls it back to Mane on the edge of the box and what a shot, off the bar!!' It's totally shameful at this point that lads like him are still getting paid for this level of work.
Ffs, he called Mane's name for Liverpool's 1st goal and had to correct himself to say it was Daniel Sturridge. LOL

And he didn't start getting confused yesterday either - I still remember him commenting on Spain's goal against Ireland in that 2nd round match of the 2002 world cup 'it's Luis Enrique'. No it wasn't George, it was Fernando Morientes. EmbarrassedLOL

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:10am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

And he didn't start getting confused yesterday either - I still remember him commenting on Spain's goal against Ireland in that 2nd round match of the 2002 world cup 'it's Luis Enrique'. No it wasn't George, it was Fernando Morientes. EmbarrassedLOL
And the infamous Baggio brothers at USA94.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:15am

Ah jaysus how could I forget those gems. He's just truly awful LOL

-------------

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:17am

'Who, of course, are not related'. LOL

Despite those blunders, I still found myself switching over to RTE from BT Sport.  I just couldn't stick listening to Darren Fletcher's voice any longer. Dead

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:18am
The Baggio one is a classic. I always liked George, I do think an element of that is simply down to nostalgia. I think we all have a soft spot for the commentator who seemed to be always there in our childhood.
I also think the compulsory addition of a 'colour commentator', most of whom add nothing of value and the fact many commentators now skip radio entirely have damaged the craft.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:22am

'Who, of course, are not related'. LOL
Despite those blunders, I still found myself switching over to RTE from BT Sport.  I just couldn't stick listening to Darren Fletcher's voice any longer. Dead
At least you didn't have to look at him!

BT and their need for two 'colour commentators', an interjcting referee and a whole team of pundits in the studio, have a lot to answer for. I'm not sure if they still do this, maybe they've learned, but it was farcical.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:23am
Wait...Dino and Roberto Baggio aren't related?

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:33am

You'd be hard pushed finding a match with any stadium noise most weeks.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:46am

You always bring City into the conversation !!!

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 11:43am

Was thinking more about Liverpool fans last night, and their "famous atmosphere"

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 12:54pm

Was thinking more about Liverpool fans last night, and their "famous atmosphere"
The PSG fans made plenty of noise, so what? Added to the whole occasion and fair play to them. Doesn't mean the home support was any less vocal than usual. Those at the game said the atmosphere was electric so yeah, another great Anfield european night with the "famous atmosphere". Don't be jealous of it

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 1:42pm

The Liverpool fans sounded very quiet on the TV. Could only hear the PSG fans for the vast majority. Maybe was different if being there in person.

Posted By: Carmody 10
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 3:14pm
Fairness to the PSG fans, they were mental and created some noise.

-------------
Out of order

Posted By: mbyrne15
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Carmody 10 Carmody 10 wrote:

Fairness to the PSG fans, they were mental and created some noise.

With three lads stood at the front with mega-phones and their backs to the match it's a lot easier to get the fans going collectively.

Posted By: Terzino
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:20pm
Hamilton has had some awful commentary over the years. He got excited one time during a game and said "He's given a penalty!" when the ref had actually given a goal-kick.

But his worst moment had to be in Paris when he called the Henry double hand ball and Gallas goal as a Paul McShane OG!

Overall modern commentators all sound the same. And if they try to be different they are just annoyingly shouty or use obviously pre-prepared snippets, often based around matching players names with awful puns.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:00pm
The worst commentary is when they just name the player on the ball.   ''Keita to Salah and now Firmino, back to Salah''

I know FFS I can see it and who cares anyway?  Say something of interest.

-------------

Posted By: Terzino
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 3:40pm
A bit of a shock to see that Peter Brackley has passed away.

Did the commentary on Channel 4 when Serie A was at its height.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 4:03pm
The Titanic has sunk too did you hear?

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 4:07pm

The Titanic has sunk too did you hear?
LOL

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 6:54pm
LOL

I can't believe he was only 67, he sounded that old when he doing Football Italia.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 2:33pm
Martin Tyler in the Liverpool game just there LOL

Turned full Michael Owen nearly.

"Full time is 4-0. It wasn't deserved as 1 was offside and the other was an own goal"
"David Brooks, the Englishman playing for Wales"
"Fabinho's shot is rubbish, it was more Inho than Fab"

Dead

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 9:35am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Martin Tyler in the Liverpool game just there LOL

Turned full Michael Owen nearly.

"Full time is 4-0. It wasn't deserved as 1 was offside and the other was an own goal"
"David Brooks, the Englishman playing for Wales"
"Fabinho's shot is rubbish, it was more Inho than Fab"

Dead
Tyler's a knob

-------------

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 2:42pm
Quit my job last May to go full time at the voice acting which has been going great and about 6 months ago I started doing football commentary voice overs in different accents and languages - Hard to believe but it really took off ! Doing weekly Premier league remote commentary for an Asian firm and have just been offered a job commentating on the amputee World cup in Istanbul which starts at the end of the month - Flights and accom included - Buzzing !

Usually voice in an English or Irish accent and add in a few Andy Gray style comments in a Scottish accent for the co commentary or "Goal" commentary in Spanish /German.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kWYqKbxCos&t=32s" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kWYqKbxCos&t=32s

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 3:21pm
fixed your link SL, great workThumbs Up

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Quit my job last May to go full time at the voice acting which has been going great and about 6 months ago I started doing football commentary voice overs in different accents and languages - Hard to believe but it really took off ! Doing weekly Premier league remote commentary for an Asian firm and have just been offered a job commentating on the amputee World cup in Istanbul which starts at the end of the month - Flights and accom included - Buzzing !

Usually voice in an English or Irish accent and add in a few Andy Gray style comments in a Scottish accent for the co commentary or "Goal" commentary in Spanish /German.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kWYqKbxCos&t=32s" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kWYqKbxCos&t=32s

Fair play JP, delighted for you 

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 4:19pm

fair playClap

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 5:00pm
Thanks lads! (Appreciate it Sham)

I started during the first lockdown when the pub was shut and did it for the craic and a few extra quid . By the time the second lockdown was finished I was doing well enough to go full time and did some huge jobs for a Katie Taylor fight on Sky ,The NHL , Netflix documentary and a load of video games etc.

Probably one of the few positive stories to come out of the Pandemic Thumbs Up

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 5:18pm
Jesus JP what occupation do you have in your passport 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

LOL Good question !

Hope we can catch up for a pint in Scotland .

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 7:55pm

Thanks lads! (Appreciate it Sham)

I started during the first lockdown when the pub was shut and did it for the craic and a few extra quid . By the time the second lockdown was finished I was doing well enough to go full time and did some huge jobs for a Katie Taylor fight on Sky ,The NHL , Netflix documentary and a load of video games etc.

Probably one of the few positive stories to come out of the Pandemic Thumbs Up

Wow , outstanding Clap

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 7:56pm
I watched some of the other clips you had posted on youtube and I thought they were very good. Fair play to you Clap

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 8:14pm

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

LOL Good question !

Hope we can catch up for a pint in Scotland .

👍

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: BohsinMunich
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 10:08pm
JP
Have you mastered the local Donegal accent yet ?
Well done

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 10:30pm
I enjoyed your commentation

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 6:50am
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

JP
Have you mastered the local Donegal accent yet ?
Well done

Didn't get that far (Literally ) !

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 11:36am
https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/craic/voice-actor-irish-accents?fbclid=IwAR0myFKrlfmCFHtr26grVxrZVMxzb4_aXEinG_YV3H_5bWzEgCCZB4raw4Y" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/craic/voice-actor-irish-accents?fbclid=IwAR0myFKrlfmCFHtr26grVxrZVMxzb4_aXEinG_YV3H_5bWzEgCCZB4raw4Y

Clap

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net