Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56524
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 6:40am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sean McDermott
Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Subject: Sean McDermott
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 12:54pm
Must be the first player to represent us at senior level who is named after one of the country's founding fathers!

In all seriousness, what kind of level is the Norwegian league? Is it much better than the LOI for example, outside of Rosenbourg?

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Replies:
Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

In all seriousness, what kind of level is the Norwegian league? Is it much better than the LOI for example, outside of Rosenbourg?

It is currently ranked 29th on the UEFA coefficients ranking table - one place behind Kazakstan's Premier League and only two places ahead of Liechtenstein's top division. So the short answer to your question would appear to be: it's a fairly sh*te standard.

Posted By: avfc
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 1:43pm
Gerry Rogers surely has reason to be annoyed.

Posted By: Fanny MaGee
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

Gerry Rogers surely has reason to be annoyed.

Who??? You in the right thread?

-------------
Ask MaGee

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 2:32pm
Most likely means 37 years old Gary Rogers of Dundalk. Honestly, our goalkeeping choices are plummeting no end. We'd be better off calling up Caoimhín Kelleher or someone like that than someone who has absolutely no future in the Irish squad. 

As for McDermott, well the level of the League of Ireland is as good if not better than the Norwegian league in general. I have never seen him play but I doubt a goalie from a mid table Norwegian league team is any better than a goalie from our own league.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Most likely means 37 years old Gary Rogers of Dundalk. Honestly, our goalkeeping choices are plummeting no end. We'd be better off calling up Caoimhín Kelleher or someone like that than someone who has absolutely no future in the Irish squad. 

As for McDermott, well the level of the League of Ireland is as good if not better than the Norwegian league in general. I have never seen him play but I doubt a goalie from a mid table Norwegian league team is any better than a goalie from our own league.

Rosenberg v Cork??

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 3:19pm
LOL People's opinions of the LOI are miles from reality.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 3:21pm
no the standard of the Norwegian league would overall be higher than the LOI. the facilities are light years better than anything we have. Obvisouly Rosenborg are the big name. Its irrelevant that he plays in Norway, if hes good enough then that's all that matters. We need to get away from the mindset that its England or nowhere.

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 3:26pm
Based a quick twitter search (and translate) the Norwegian fans aren't exactly blown away by Sean to say the least. Another body to make up the numbers is more like it. 

Posted By: Tony Cousins
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Rosenberg v Cork??

ODD played Rovers a few years ago too, I think the aggregate score was 4-1 to them. I might be forgetting a few results, but Rosenborg have been a few times over the last 15 years and ODD as well, and have all won comfortably.

Posted By: avfc
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 4:19pm
Rosenborg did not beat the Town easily - it went to ET!

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 4:50pm
Well deserved call up for him, at least he's one dual-eligible player we'll probably keep a hold of.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

LOL People's opinions of the LOI are miles from reality.

I do not think the League of Ireland is of a high level by any means. However, McDermott's club Kristiansund would by no means be far ahead of some of the better League of Ireland clubs.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 6:34am

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/951886282?-36604:24057" rel="nofollow - All you need to know about the Norway-based goalkeeper who's received his first senior Ireland call-up

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Based a quick twitter search (and translate) the Norwegian fans aren't exactly blown away by Sean to say the least. Another body to make up the numbers is more like it. 

Well he got Kristiansand player of the year so he is obviously well thought of at his club.

I have spoken to a few Norwegian work colleagues about him and they say he he a decent enough keeper and was a big part of Kristiansand finishing mid table last season after gaining promotion the year before.

Kristiansand wouldn't be the biggest of clubs it would like Bristol City for example getting promoted and finishing 10th in the league.

Posted By: AbuAbu
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 11:45am
I think MON is entitled to call him in and have a closer look. The way some of ye are talking u'd swear he has been anointed as our number 1 keeper for next 10 years!

-------------
It's not me it's you:-)

Posted By: scottyccfc
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 1:15pm
I do hope we cap Kieran O'Hara, at least tie him down and lets not have to deal with Grealish mark III in two years time. 

As an LOI fan I see no issue with McDermott being called up. Id much rather a 25 year old from a mid table Norweigen side get called up than a 37 year old keeper from Cork City or Dundalk. There is no keeper in the LOI at the minute deserving of a call up. We need to nail down O'Hara.

-------------
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 1:47pm
I'd rather see Caoimhin Kelleher ahead of these lads.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

I do hope we cap Kieran O'Hara, at least tie him down and lets not have to deal with Grealish mark III in two years time. 

As an LOI fan I see no issue with McDermott being called up. Id much rather a 25 year old from a mid table Norweigen side get called up than a 37 year old keeper from Cork City or Dundalk. There is no keeper in the LOI at the minute deserving of a call up. We need to nail down O'Hara.

problem is we'd have to cap him in a competitive game

Posted By: scottyccfc
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

problem is we'd have to cap him in a competitive game
Bring him on against Wales!

-------------
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

This...much better prospect than O'Hara

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

This...much better prospect than O'Hara

But only one of them is playing senior football at the minute, even though it might just be league 2 and a handful of games it's still senior football rather than academy games. Until Kelleher gets a loan and some senior games behind he'll always be behind O'Hara as it's hard to judge players off potential alone.

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 4:50pm
I reckon Kelleher might be bumped up to the U21s in O'Hara's place as theyve their own double header same time as ours.

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 4:56am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Well he got Kristiansand player of the year so he is obviously well thought of at his club.

I have spoken to a few Norwegian work colleagues about him and they say he he a decent enough keeper and was a big part of Kristiansand finishing mid table last season after gaining promotion the year before.

Kristiansand wouldn't be the biggest of clubs it would like Bristol City for example getting promoted and finishing 10th in the league.

Their ground holds 4,000.  There's more down watching Accrington Stanley ffs.  

Why aren't we making any effort at senior level with Bielsa's no 1 at Leeds, O'Farrell?  

Why haven't we made any effort with Conor Hazard at Celtic (on loan to Falkirk)? 

Two lads under 21 with potentially big futures.  

We bring in (i) Hearts reserve keeper who's biggest distinction is being transferred for £1; (ii) a thirty something GAA player who retired from soccer at 22; and (iii) a 37 yo LOI player.  

Jesus wept. 

At least O'Hara has potential, as does the young lad Kelleher.  But they've a way to go. Peacock O'Farrell is much further down the line.  The only other Irish-eligible keeper starting in the top two divisions. 

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 5:39am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Why aren't we making any effort at senior level with Bielsa's no 1 at Leeds, O'Farrell?  

Why haven't we made any effort with Conor Hazard at Celtic (on loan to Falkirk)? 

We bring in (i) Hearts reserve keeper who's biggest distinction is being transferred for £1; (ii) a thirty something GAA player who retired from soccer at 22; and (iii) a 37 yo LOI player.  

Jesus wept. 

At least O'Hara has potential, as does the young lad Kelleher.  But they've a way to go. Peacock O'Farrell is much further down the line.  The only other Irish-eligible keeper starting in the top two divisions. 

What the hell does their grounds capacity have to do with his quality?

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:07am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Jesus wept. 

What the hell does their grounds capacity have to do with his quality?
+1.
What a bizarre post!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:12am

Peacock O'Farrell is much further down the line.  The only other Irish-eligible keeper starting in the top two divisions. 

This lad deserves a cap for his name alone. Sounds like a character from Ulysses or sommit.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:16am
His full name is: Bailey Andrew Peacock-Farrell.

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:20am
Sums up the squad that the only remotely exciting thing is the inclusion of a backup keeper from an unheard of club

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Sums up the squad that the only remotely exciting thing is the inclusion of a backup keeper from an unheard of club

i've heard of it

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:24am
Most people would have heard of Macclesfield.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:25am

Oh is it? That's a shame. Peacock O'Farrell is a brilliant name.

Posted By: inlikeflynn
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:40am

By the end of next week, he will have a competitive Northern Ireland cap. I’d be surprised if Michael O’Neill does not start him. 

Posted By: Fanny MaGee
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 1:14pm
If he ever gets the captaincy can we call him Captain Peacock? I'll get my coat....

-------------
Ask MaGee

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 4:06pm
Just Peacock Farrell even qualify for Ireland? He's English born and only qualifies for the North through his grandparents.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Just Peacock Farrell even qualify for Ireland? He's English born and only qualifies for the North through his grandparents.

If he qualifies for the North he also automatically qualifies for us

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 4:28pm

Technically not. I'd have to look for it but don't think the GFA agreement is that generous to allow someone whose English born, his parents are english born also to qualify for an irish passport.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 4:30pm
Think it would be like Declan Rice can get an Irish passport because his granparents are Irish but even if he was to play for us and his kid was born in England I dont think he'd qualify for one.

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 5:00pm
If the child was born after rice acquired his paper, the should would also qualify for a passport

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

If the child was born after rice acquired his paper, the should would also qualify for a passport

Yes Rice would need to acquire Irish citizenship before that but how many English born players that played for Ireland went through the hassle of acquiring Irish citizenship. I know some of the lads like McGrath, O'Leary and Kilbane have but doubt the lads in the last ten years or so have.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 5:17pm

Yes Rice would need to acquire Irish citizenship before that but how many English born players that played for Ireland went through the hassle of acquiring Irish citizenship. I know some of the lads like McGrath, O'Leary and Kilbane have but doubt the lads in the last ten years or so have.
All of them have. You have to have an Irish passport to play for Ireland, you can't use an English passport

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 5:38pm

O’Leary and McGrath were both raised Ireland, they were just born in England.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 6:11pm
Some of the local papers have done features on Sean. One even saying he will be a great keeper following on from Shay and Packie. A lot of drivel being written.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 6:19pm

Technically not. I'd have to look for it but don't think the GFA agreement is that generous to allow someone whose English born, his parents are english born also to qualify for an irish passport.

Not this tripe again.... Anyone with an Irish-born parent or grandparent is entitled to an Irish passport, there are many examples to support this.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 6:31pm
Funny, the interesting thing about the wording of the GFA is that, even if there is a United Ireland, people in the North will still be entitled to a British passport!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:56pm
An even more interesting fact is that the GFA has absolutely nothing to do with Northern-born/ancestry players ability to line out for us.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 8:37pm

Not this tripe again.... Anyone with an Irish-born parent or grandparent is entitled to an Irish passport, there are many examples to support this.
+1

There should be some sort of sticky thread made with the basic rules of eligibility put up.

-------------

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:06pm

Mother of god where to start 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: johnvonp
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 11:06pm
Plays for Dynamo Bucharest now. Started in their last league match.

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:14am
Like all great footballers he began as a street.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 3:46pm
The Dinamo Bucharest manager got rid of him after 3 games stating that “I asked for a keeper, not a libero, that is life. I told you, I am very demanding.”

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: mully_85
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 3:56pm
is   JAVIER     the manager    of Bucharest by any chance

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 5:15pm

The Dinamo Bucharest manager got rid of him after 3 games stating that “I asked for a keeper, not a libero, that is life. I told you, I am very demanding.”

He kept two clean sheets as well 

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 9:57pm
Bizarre one, the manager sounds like a bit of a looper. Back to Kristiansund you'd think.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 10:00pm
Very strange alright. Attitude problem ?

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 10:03pm
Bizarre stuff. Heres the highlights of said game. Didnt cover himself in glory, could have done better for both. Especially the first, but id be more critical of the defense.

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 10:13pm
He is clearly on the take......the defence are in on it too..

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 10:25pm
This article suggests the real reason he left is because he failed to settle in Romania. They also claim he was their highest-paid player on €7000 a month.

https://www.fanatik.ro/sean-mcdermott-plecat-dinamo-1%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.fanatik.ro/sean-mcdermott-plecat-dinamo-1

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 10:30pm
Jaysis, that is an absolute farce. There's not a thing he could have done for either of those goals. First was a rocket into the top corner, the second a well placed finish into the bottom. They've essentially sacked him for his defence being useless for 2 goals, and that after having kept clean sheets in his first two games LOL

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 10:49pm
He's clearly at fault for the first.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

He's clearly at fault for the first.

How on earth is he clearly at fault for the 1st, the ball literally rockets past him into the top corner.? I'm trying to find something to blame him for there, but there is literally nothing. Not many keepers would save either of them.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 11:04am

First was a rocket into the top corner, the second a well placed finish into the bottom.

This is how I would imagine Hans describing them if they were Liverpool goals. LOL 

The first was closer to the middle of the goal than the corner. The second was even more central and just went under him - he was possibly unsighted for the second goal though. Anyway I doubt those goals are the reason he was booted out after just three games!

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 11:24am
Wait until Padraig Pearse hears about this

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

First was a rocket into the top corner, the second a well placed finish into the bottom.

This is how I would imagine Hans describing them if they were Liverpool goals. LOL 

The first was closer to the middle of the goal than the corner. The second was even more central and just went under him - he was possibly unsighted for the second goal though. Anyway I doubt those goals are the reason he was booted out after just three games!

It hit the corner of the net, literally the inside of the side netting. Have you even watched it?

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 12:52pm
Yeah it ended up in the side of the net but that hardly automatically means it was 'top corner'! Watch it from the angle behind the goal - it's nowhere near the top corner.

I broadly agree with your sentiment that he wasn't horribly at fault for the goals, just feel you exaggerated the quality of the finishes. The pace of the shot is what beats him with the first one, whilst the second one came through a defender so he would have seen it pretty late.

Posted By: Gerry Geary
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 2:40pm
Wages i Said. hope he learns. 1st goal could have stopped that or parried. It was one on one after all. Second the defence was awful. Could have done better.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 2:56pm
It would be awfully picky to blame him for the first one, it is rocketed past him. He was a bit slow getting down to the second one alright, hardly worthy of having a contract ripped up. I would say it is more likely that the Dinamo chairman is the latest lunatic involved in Romanian football!

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 5:59pm
Signs  back for Kristiansund on 3yr deal 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 10:02pm
Seemed to have an outstanding first half vs Man Utd today going by reports.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Bham_McDermott
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 9:52am
Just wondering on my namesake goalkeeper Sean McDermott, was around the camp for Mick a few times and on the bench so was ready for squad and declared over Norway (Donegal dad) came through our U21 system

Wondered why he was not named for this squad, FAI/Kenny not rate him? forgot about him? he liked a comment of mine on InstagramDead so seemed to be up for involvement for this camp Wink

But surely playing as #1 to a side 4th in the Norwegian league would be good enough for our top three currently given the situation

For any not familiar: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/sean-mcdermott-plots-route-from-norway-to-ireland-s-no-1-1.4179986

Like I said, just wondering

Smile

-------------
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 9:55am
Hasnt seemed to have played much of late according to his wiki page. Unreliable source i know.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 10:18am
Norwegian league doesn't start for another few weeks

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 11:12am

Not trying to be smart, would that really matter?

Eu players tend to play in championships and qualifiers in the summer when the season has finished etc

They probably just don't rate him

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Bham_McDermott Bham_McDermott wrote:

Eu players tend to play in championships and qualifiers in the summer when the season has finished etc

How many games of his have you watched?

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 11:35am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Bham_McDermott Bham_McDermott wrote:

How many games of his have you watched?
None, hence I can't give a judgement on him but they clearly have, so I assume they must not rate him

But Mick's recent camp & under the youth set up they must have, so must have been something there

Have you watched him?

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 12:22pm
Nope!!

Hardly a surprise he’s missed out especially considering the Norwegian League hasn’t even started yet.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 1:41pm
Existing thread here 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net