Print Page | Close Window

World Cup - how many games will you watch?

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Rest of The World
Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56367
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 5:35pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: World Cup - how many games will you watch?
Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Subject: World Cup - how many games will you watch?
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 6:43am
I reckon with work and some bad planning on some weekends i’ll get to see less than 50%.
I’ll get to see all/most of the evening games.

My retired Dad will do 100% no bother.
I know the last group games are on the same time but he will watch the other game afterwards.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 6:58am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I reckon with work and some bad planning on some weekends i’ll get to see less than 50%.
I’ll get to see all/most of the evening games.

My retired Dad will do 100% no bother.
I know the last group games are on the same time but he will watch the other game afterwards.

Similar I won't see the afternoon matches because I'm working  and I won't be watching any England matches and will catch what I can.
Its never quite the same with Ireland not there.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 7:31am
I'm on half days all next week and off the following few weeks so won't miss many, then head on holiday the day before the last 16 games are due to start! Working out great.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 7:49am
Always book time off during the WC but the added bonus of being able to work from home too, means I'll see pretty much every game which is shown live, as long as I become a hermit and don't leave the house.

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:04am
I'm still off work so hoping to take in the majority of games, especially the day time games

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:06am
Apparently they're going to show some of the games in the office at work to stop people streaming them secretly. Sounds like a terrible idea but I won't complain

Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:21am
got most of my bases covered. TF1 only showing 28 games, the rest on beIN sport which I don't have. but have http://www.tvaway.com" rel="nofollow - www.tvaway.com which gives me all UK and Irish channels, so will have my pick of channels. also, work PC is based off a UK server for some reason, so BBC iplayer works in the office.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:25am
As much as I'd like to catch them all it will be around the 50% mark as I have a festival booked and miss a couple with GAA as well. At the bar I work at it will be on and Ill stream it in the office when I'm down there

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:29am
I'd like to get lots. But I suspect I wont, for plenty of reasons. I suspect three games over the weekend, and most evening games will be the best i can hope for.

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:25pm
marriage gonna be seriously tested in this next month. 

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:36pm
Not as many as I would like. I am very busy the next 3 weeksCry

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:05pm
Next week off work so should be good for most of the group stage anyway. Probably just the night time games form then

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:11pm
On week days - first half of 1pm ko's and second half of 4pm ko's in boozer beside pub - then home for the 7pms...

Hopefully every game on weekends

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:20pm
Just realised I'll miss the second set of QF's as I'll be going to the Cure in Hyde Park...I'd imagine though if England are still involved that they'll prob show it on the screens

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

On week days - first half of 1pm ko's and second half of 4pm ko's in boozer beside pub - then home for the 7pms...

Boozer beside the pub ? LOL

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Boozer beside the pub ? LOL

Subtle difference.........

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 8:46am
I'll be on honeymoon for two weeks right in the middle of the competition.
Anyone know what time the games will be at in the west coast of America?

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

West Coast USA is 8 hours behind Ireland so you'll have games kicking off at 5am, 8am and 11am.

Mrs RB is in for some honeymoon then. LOL

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 8:53am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

West Coast USA is 8 hours behind Ireland so you'll have games kicking off at 5am, 8am and 11am.

LOL 5 days in Hawaii too. That's 3 hours behind again isn't it?
Will be setting plenty of early alarms

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:06am

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

LOL 5 days in Hawaii too. That's 3 hours behind again isn't it?
Will be setting plenty of early alarms
It is indeed, wouldn't even be any point in even going to bed.

I'd love to see her face when you tell her, you could be heading for one of the quickest ever divorces at this rate! LOL

-------------

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:12am
What were ya thinking?!

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:33am
Jesus RB poor planning Thumbs Down

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:35am
Safe to know who wears the trousers in that marriage Wink

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:40am
Its a great time of day to be watching football. Sure what else would you be at at 8 and 11 in the morning?

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 10:13am

Its a great time of day to be watching football. Sure what else would you be at at 8 and 11 in the morning?
On your honeymoon? I thought it would be fairly obvious...

drinking

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 10:17am
RB don't forget to check what time Love Island is on in that timezone, you can't be missing that.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 10:21am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

RB don't forget to check what time Love Island is on in that timezone, you can't be missing that.

Tongue

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 10:25am
Got married on the 15/7 last year and though I had it made, don't get married during the season or a WC/Euros. I forgot about our aniversary is the day of the WC final.

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 10:50am
Spent the 2010 World Cup in Vancouver, games at 8am and 11am. The 8am used to be great sessions, all over to a house with a bag of cans on a Saturday/Sunday morning for a fry and football. Lovely start to a day

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 12:07pm
The boss is after getting a 43 inch tv for the office to use for 'security cameras' but really it's for me for the football. I think it's the time of year that he has to spend so much on the company that he won't have to pay tax or revenue.
Anyway it works out well for me.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 1:04pm
Finishing early today so I can watch the opening match. Probably the only game I'll do it for. Will just have the others games on the RTE player in work.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 1:15pm
I STILL cant vote Cry

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

The boss is after getting a 43 inch tv for the office to use for 'security cameras' but really it's for me for the football. I think it's the time of year that he has to spend so much on the company that he won't have to pay tax or revenue.
Anyway it works out well for me.
Where do you work Darmack - can we get any temp jobs there (say, for about a month)? TongueLOL

Security Cameras. LOL Sounds like some fairly creative accounting going on there. I presume they've already prepared themselves for a sharp loss of productivity in the afternoons for the next few weeks. LOL

-------------

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 3:32pm
Robbie Williams looks like a youngish Morrissey

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

He wanted to make sure he was back here for the start of Big Brother

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 3:37pm
When did Gary Neville join ITV?

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 3:39pm

How have you got ITV?

My TV package is with Virgin/UPC, I’ve no ITV

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

How have you got ITV?

My TV package is with Virgin/UPC, I’ve no ITV

I'm in work, watching on the ITV website, a quick registration process was all it took.

If I was at home I'd be watching it on ITV, ch 103 on sky

Posted By: Lostandfound
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Robbie Williams looks like a youngish Morrissey

It's been rumoured in the past that Morrissey is his real father.   

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 3:48pm
On flexi time so out the door at 4pm every day, home about 4.25 then for those games.

Will have a laptop or something in the office with 1pm games to see goals, will try get a half of most of them on lunch breaks.

Posted By: djhegzy
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 3:50pm
work bought a 43"for the break room specifically for the world cup LOL all about that "work culture" 

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 10:14pm
Rte have said they would a highlights package every day at the end of the last game.
Clap

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:11am
It's great RTE have every game but then you risk having to listen to Ger Canning or f**king Adrian Eames if the game isn't on BBC.

Eames has been particularly sh*te in the Swiss-Brazil game and the Croatia wan on Saturday.

Stephen Alkin yesterday as well was as fooking patronizing towards Mexico bigging up that is was a massive shock to beat the Germans.  It wasn't.  Mexico are consistently strong, skillful and on their day can and have beaten anyone.

While I'm glad I don't have to listen to Glenn Hoddle on ITV, the likes of Gah head Canning, the useless Eames and Alkin's Mexico performance, the commentators are really getting on my tits.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:13am
Just when you think the pundits can't get any worse on ITV, along comes Patrice Evra

There's no real need for four pundits on for every game. They take two ad breaks at half time so each one probably only speaks for about 20 seconds

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:23am
have had to watch a few on British tv due to dodgy weather affecting my RTÉ 2 signal 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:33am

Just when you think the pundits can't get any worse on ITV, along comes Patrice Evra

There's no real need for four pundits on for every game. They take two ad breaks at half time so each one probably only speaks for about 20 seconds

Yeah way too many pundits.

I actually think Evra was trying to get the ride and hence the compliments. 

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:46am
This thing of referees being pundits has really, really gone too far. Everytime Clattenburg appears on ITV I switch stations. Between him, Evra, Wright and Tyldesley the whole thing is a sh*t show.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:57am
Russia Today are using the same people in their studio, the host and Mourinho as the pundit.

The annoying thing is that Sky have everyone in the mental health and body language field watching on as they're absolutely desperate for him to say something controversial so they can make a headline out of it.
It became obvious when they made the headline for Saturday with "Mourinho blames De Gea for error" and all he said was he knows it's his fault LOL

Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 11:42am
voted for 50% of the games, but have watched everything so far. the main issue is getting around the fact that your missus doesn't want to watch every single match, but how to be polite and tell her that that's how it is for the month

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:33pm
No need to be polite, it's once every four years.  She needs to put up or shut up. Thumbs Up

Thankfully Mrs FW is grand with my absence for the next few weeks.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:53pm
I just watch it on the laptop and let the missus have free reign of the tell. Win win cause I can put the headphones on and completely ignore her

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:54pm
Done by 9pm seems an acceptable compromise in the Shedite household, Herself can have the TV then for Love Island

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

I just watch it on the laptop and let the missus have free reign of the tell. Win win cause I can put the headphones on and completely ignore her

That's alright now and again, but its hard to beat watching it on a big screen totally live, and not a minute or so behind like most streams, websites or apps

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 1:17pm

Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

That's alright now and again, but its hard to beat watching it on a big screen totally live, and not a minute or so behind like most streams, websites or apps

Have a tv in the gaf but don't have it connected up to anything, just use Apple TV, Amazon Prime, Streams and downloads so I wouldn't be watching them on the telly anyway.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 1:27pm

Lucky Souness isn't part of it so

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 6:50am
I can see a lot of goals in today’s matches but I’ll only see the evening match.

Work is only showing the matches in the canteen but I only started in the company a few months ago so can’t take the piss.

I’ve only seen a few matches so far. I’ll prob end up seeing about 25% of them. Thumbs Down

-------------

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 6:55am
Timezones aren't great for me where I am now. So far the games have been 8pm, 11pm and 2am. 
Haven't seen any of the 2am ones. 

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:09am
Yeah it's a bit of a pain in the hole.  I can watch the 1st half of the 1pm games on the work laptop at lunchtime, usually might get half an hour of the 4pm game in work so the 7pm game is the only one I'll see in full bar the weekend.

What's the Qatar timezone for the next wan?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Yeah it's a bit of a pain in the hole.  I can watch the 1st half of the 1pm games on the work laptop at lunchtime, usually might get half an hour of the 4pm game in work so the 7pm game is the only one I'll see in full bar the weekend.

Same as this wan 2 hours 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:15am

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Same as this wan 2 hours 

Maybe I'll have been able to take early retirement by 2022.............LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:16am
I've watched most of every game apart from Australia v France, Serbia v Costa Rica, and last night's Russia game.

Can watch on the BBC/ITV websites in work

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:18am
It's going to be weird as f**k watching the next WC with Christmas decorations up and Christmas ad's on the telly LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:32am
Why is Sepp Blatter at the World Cup?  Apparently he is a guest of Putin surprise surprise.  I thought he was banned from any football related activity.  He's also giving interviews left, right and centre talking about awarding of the next world cupConfused

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Why is Sepp Blatter at the World Cup?  Apparently he is a guest of Putin surprise surprise.  I thought he was banned from any football related activity.  He's also giving interviews left, right and centre talking about awarding of the next world cupConfused

You just answered your own question. FIFA can't bar him from attending in a private capacity 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:41am

You just answered your own question. FIFA can't bar him from attending in a private capacity 

Is he there in a private capacity though??  He is a guest of Putin who he awarded the world cup to in shady circumstances and will be sat up in the stand next to Infantino and the other cronies. And he shouldnt be giving interviews on FIFA business.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:44am

Is he there in a private capacity though??  He is a guest of Putin who he awarded the world cup to in shady circumstances and will be sat up in the stand next to Infantino and the other cronies. And he shouldnt be giving interviews on FIFA business.

Putin inviting him is a private capacity AFAIK

Was clarified by FIFA last year

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 12:10pm
Worst day of games so far today. Thrusday and Friday should be belters

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:39pm
Yeah not a gread day. The 7pm kick-offs are slightly annoying. It's not even 9pm and all the matches are over, I do be thinking "I could fit another match in before bed time". does be a bit of a downer. 8pmwould have been more ideal!

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Yeah not a gread day. The 7pm kick-offs are slightly annoying. It's not even 9pm and all the matches are over, I do be thinking "I could fit another match in before bed time". does be a bit of a downer. 8pmwould have been more ideal!

Are you not watching Love Island?

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:45pm

Time difference making it 10 here when they finish. 
Slightly better Cool

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 9:48am
After Sunday that will be 32 matches played - 50% complete....

You can’t beat knockout out football Clap

-------------

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 7:17pm

Just as well you're not in Iceland so, where all the games are over by 8pm. Or America, where they're all done by 4 in the afternoon. 

I don't like the 7pms either, but it was the same as last year's Confed Cup. There can't be any more per day as most cities at the tournament are 2 hours ahead of us. 

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 9:59pm
This World Cup has been very good. Some great games the last couple of days 

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 10:32pm

The group stages in the last one were surprisingly good too. 

Anyway its a pure relief we're not there as we'd be a disgrace/embarrassment according to the football purists on here who'd have travelled in numbers to Russia had we qualified. 

Anyone who thinks it's a 'good thing' that we don't qualify for tournaments because. (A) They don't like the manager & (B) They don't like our style if football can get ta fcuk. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Anyway its a pure relief we're not there as we'd be a disgrace/embarrassment according to the football purists on here who'd have travelled in numbers to Russia had we qualified. 

Anyone who thinks it's a 'good thing' that we don't qualify for tournaments because. (A) They don't like the manager & (B) They don't like our style if football can get ta fcuk. 

Why because we've seen it coming for the past 20 months under O'Neill?

We were found out big time in the last campaign to qualify for the World Cup, we played sh*te and got outplayed in 6 or 7 games in the group stages and Denmark absolutely battered us in the play offs.

O'Neill's luck has ran out and he's been shown up, sooner the better he's gone.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Why because we've seen it coming for the past 20 months under O'Neill?

We were found out big time in the last campaign to qualify for the World Cup, we played sh*te and got outplayed in 6 or 7 games in the group stages and Denmark absolutely battered us in the play offs.

O'Neill's luck has ran out and he's been shown up, sooner the better he's gone.

GD we played the same sh*te in the campaign that we actually qualified from. Did you only see it coming when results didn't suit? Forget about luck. We have played consistently poor under O'Neill and Trap the last decade.

I've lived through 6 Irish managers and its the same wash,rinse,repeat logi to get rid of the manager as the solution.. We can get rid of O'Neill but there's fcuk all we can do when it comes to our pool of talent.

We are what we are and we've a few lean years ahead of us Cry

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 11:02pm
We finished 3rd in a group though mate, the first time ever teams who finish 3rd in a group got a chance to qualify for the Euro's.

TBH I don't think we're as bad as people think players wise, look we're no Brazil or Germany but I think it's a cop out to say "ah we're sh*te" or "we haven't got the players"

Northern Ireland and Iceland get talked about on here like no tomorrow but for good reason, O'Neill has no real plan, no back up plan, you can see he does no work on creating some unique set pieces etc.

Michael O'Neill is light years ahead of Martin O'Neill in just about every aspect, I wouldn't mind if Northern Ireland had Pep Guardiola or Zidane in charge, they don't. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 10:53am
Last 6 games (last 2 days), there's been 7 injury time goals.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net