Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56326
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 12:18pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Graham Burke
Posted By: Tony Cousins
Subject: Graham Burke
Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 9:36am
Deserves a thread since he's got a cap now. 63rd player provided by Shamrock Rovers to the Republic of Ireland, more than any other club.

Replies:
Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

Deserves a thread since he's got a cap now. 63rd player provided by Shamrock Rovers to the Republic of Ireland, more than any other club.
I asked this question once in a quiz, nobody got it.

All the idiots saying Arsenal, Liverpool, Utd, Celtic etc.

The answer is so obvious.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 10:49am

Home Farm have a far more impressive claim to "providing" Irish internationals than Rovers. They actually developed the players rather than just having later signed them. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 10:50am

Is this confirmed as caps won whilst at Rovers? 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 11:09am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Is this confirmed as caps won whilst at Rovers? 

Yes.

Frank O'Neill has the most with 20 caps. Other notable players capped while at Rovers include Paddy Moore scorer of our first goal in a World Cup Qualifying game and Liam Tuohy scorer of our first goal in a European Championship qualifying game.

Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 11:24am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Home Farm have a far more impressive claim to "providing" Irish internationals than Rovers. They actually developed the players rather than just having later signed them. 
And what about the players that Home Farm poached from other clubs who 'developed' them ?

Vicious circle.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

And what about the players that Home Farm poached from other clubs who 'developed' them ?

Vicious circle.

Let's get to the bottom of this. I'm nominating "Sunny Happy Days" kids Montessori in Kimmage as the Mecca of Irish underage talent development. 

I know you're involved in underage football and fair play to you but what do you think is the right course of action for youngsters and clubs? Surely, it's best to get all top players at the elite level whether that is DDSL Premier or LOI u13, u15 etc at the expense of the so called smaller clubs?

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 12:02pm

I know you're involved in underage football and fair play to you but what do you think is the right course of action for youngsters and clubs? Surely, it's best to get all top players at the elite level whether that is DDSL Premier or LOI u13, u15 etc at the expense of the so called smaller clubs?
Yes of course.

DDSL 15 Premier used to be 'the' league and I agree with the LOI u15 but its argued that the LOI u13 is too young and putting too much pressure on young shoulders.

Every team (in the lower levels) has a gem or a late developer, AFAIK Conor Masterson didn't play top division football with Lucan Utd and there's plenty of other examples - the 14 year old that went to Atletico Madrid (with Coerver) that nobody in Dublin had heard of.

There is also a matter with the new system about compensation when players are 'sold on' to England.

Also the so-called smaller clubs are not that anymore.

A quick scan of the top divisions show teams from Ballyoulster, Newbridge, Leixlip, Corduff, Palmerstown, Esker etc at the expense of some of the 'so-called' Top Six. My teams this season have already beaten the Orchard, Belvo and Joeys. Got bashed by Rovers though LOL 

-------------

Posted By: houghton88
Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 12:08pm
Hes an ex Belvo player who impressively now boast 13 Irish full Internationals that have played for them at schoolboy level. 

-------------
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 12:09pm
Deleted the crap

Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 12:24pm
Fair play Gary. Yeah, I think u13's is too young an age group for the LOI also but hopeful that it will work out. Regards to compensation pay outs, how this is managed is going to be key. The LOI underage set up is going to be a big financial drain on the clubs unless the money is coming in from somewhere. It will be interesting to see how it is all balanced. 

I'm glad to see Burke getting some recognition for the league anyway. The added exposure hasnt seemed to do him any harm either looking at his performance vs Pats the other week. I thought he was really superb that evening.  

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 1:10pm
Guessing he'll move from Rovers at the end of the season. Any ideas where? Championship? League One? Or to Dundalk/Cork to make a European push? 

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 6:49pm
Hard to know what will happen with Burkey, I don't think he would be well suited to League One football and reckon he probably knows this himself having spent time over at Notts County. He would make a better living I'm sure but would it increase his chances at an Irish call up? I doubt it. But I also don't think he is good enough to play Championship level so not sure what his options will be. Definitely a player who would suit a move to a completely different league in Europe but not often do we see LoI players make that move.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 9:04pm
Of all the clips Soccer Republic could have used with passes in the game, they used the one where he went to clear it, hit it off his right foot out for a throw in and fell on his hole LOL Great moment for him to get a cap, and seemed comfortable in possession which is unusual for one of our players.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 29 May 2018 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Hard to know what will happen with Burkey, I don't think he would be well suited to League One football and reckon he probably knows this himself having spent time over at Notts County. He would make a better living I'm sure but would it increase his chances at an Irish call up? I doubt it. But I also don't think he is good enough to play Championship level so not sure what his options will be. Definitely a player who would suit a move to a completely different league in Europe but not often do we see LoI players make that move.

I predict a hat trick against the yanks and a summer move to the Cleveland city razzamataz 

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:23pm
He's out of the Rovers squad for the dundalk game so may get a run against the yanks

Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:27pm
any loi player called up shoudnt be leaving the squad and playing in between training anyway. They shoild be no different to the other players called up. If ur in the national squad then you should be off limits to the club.

Posted By: Los Aros
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:33pm
Supple has been allowed leave for bohs so i'd imagine Burke might be starting on Saturday.

Posted By: houghton88
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:58pm
To me this suggest O'Neill realises now he f**ked up at the end of the last campaign not bringing in Maguire earlier when we needed a Goal Scorer badly. His Move to Preston didnt make him instantly a better player so he should have been brought in when he was scoring for fun for Cork. 

Id say this is the thinking behind this and Burke has obviously impressed him. Chances are he will move form Rovers next season anyway. 

-------------
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 31 May 2018 at 1:53pm
Comments from Bradley suggest to me that he'll start against the Yanks 

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0531/967301-burke-to-miss-shamrock-rovers-game-to-play-for-ireland/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0531/967301-burke-to-miss-shamrock-rovers-game-to-play-for-ireland/

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: mandrake
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 10:56am
I would hope he would start against the usa.. seemed to be one of the few bothered to look up when he had the ball and play it to another Ireland player

-------------
Come on Irelind

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Comments from Bradley suggest to me that he'll start against the Yanks 

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0531/967301-burke-to-miss-shamrock-rovers-game-to-play-for-ireland/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0531/967301-burke-to-miss-shamrock-rovers-game-to-play-for-ireland/

I know MON is a dope but telling Bob Bradley his team 2 days before the game isn't onWink

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 2:57pm
https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/graham-burke-could-leave-shamrock-12627974%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/graham-burke-could-leave-shamrock-12627974

Wonder what clubs have been in contact

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 3:11pm
long is out for tomorrow. Looks very likely that Burke will start

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

f**k sake! Who is going to score now?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: BohsinMunich
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

John O'Shea with a penalty

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

John's more likely so save goals 

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 6:57pm
If he went back to england and sits on the bench at some league1 club what good would that do him. He may not be guaranteed a first team spot like he is now with rovers. And hes getting picked for the national squad.  

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 7:02pm
What happens if Burke plays brilliantly and scores a goal or two? 

I still can’t help but feel his call up is just a token gesture, but wouldn’t be surprised to see him do well tomorrow considering the opposition. 

Does MON just drop him and pick Hogan, Walters, Long etc over him in the next squad? 

This isn’t a dig at Martin but I’d say he probably hopes that Burke doesn’t give him a reason to be picked again, he’s almost guaranteed a decent chunk of game time tomorrow. 

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

What happens if Burke plays brilliantly and scores a goal or two? 

I still can’t help but feel his call up is just a token gesture, but wouldn’t be surprised to see him do well tomorrow considering the opposition. 

Does MON just drop him and pick Hogan, Walters, Long etc over him in the next squad? 

This isn’t a dig at Martin but I’d say he probably hopes that Burke doesn’t give him a reason to be picked again, he’s almost guaranteed a decent chunk of game time tomorrow. 
if he did score he would have to be picked again. Until horgan gets some gametime or a new club he should be in before him anyway. 

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 4:01am
Preston sniffing around apparently 
https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/duffy-wows-roy-as-rovers-loss-heaps-pressure-on-bradley-36970446.html" rel="nofollow - https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/duffy-wows-roy-as-rovers-loss-heaps-pressure-on-bradley-36970446.html

-------------

Posted By: greenlad
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 10:03am
is the lad interested in a move back to England himself, wasn't he at villa what happened there could he not cut it or what?

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 9:37pm
2 caps now and a goal for ireland, but much shorter thread than his former teammate Grealish

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 9:39pm
Hopefully he uses this as a launch back across the water 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 9:53pm
Fair play to the lad, a fair bit off the required level but hopefully this is just the start 

-------------
Here we go again

Posted By: Steve Shrewd
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 10:04pm
He can be pleased with his performances in both games. Represented the LOI well

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Fair play to the lad, a fair bit off the required level but hopefully this is just the start 

Do you reckon?

I wouldn't be too sure about that tbh, he's looked comfortable in his two caps and if you scan through the list of players who have played 10/15+ times for us in the last decade or so, Burke would certainly do fine as a squad filler in the short term.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Do you reckon?

I wouldn't be too sure about that tbh, he's looked comfortable in his two caps and if you scan through the list of players who have played 10/15+ times for us in the last decade or so, Burke would certainly do fine as a squad filler in the short term.

Agreed, even his goal aside he worked his bollox off and had great link up play between the midfield and forwards. Looked really comfortable on the ball, was always looking for it and wasnt afraid to try things. In his 80mins across the 2 games this week, hes offered more than any other forward in recent months/years.

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Do you reckon?

He looked decent, but these friendlies were played at 50% and he wouldn't have the amount of time he had on the ball at times tonight in the loi. No mind a higher level. Hopefully he gets a move and can prove himself across the water in league 1

-------------
Here we go again

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 10:49pm
It was noticeable that we lost our way and couldnt string any passes together for about 15 minutes after he went off. Between this game and the France game, he definitely looks like he could play at a higher level.

Who was the last current LoI player to score for us?

-------------

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

It was noticeable that we lost our way and couldnt string any passes together for about 15 minutes after he went off. Between this game and the France game, he definitely looks like he could play at a higher level.

A maligned travel agent.  

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Ray Tracey in 1978

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 10:58pm
Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:15pm
He scored on his home debut. He did the job he was supposed to do. What more does he need to prove?

The amount of players in the current squad, with a LOI background proves that the league is a good quality league with decent players. It should not be seen as completely off limits to the Ireland international team. 

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:17pm
He played well. He's certainly comfortable on the ball, just a bit unfortunate he lacks pace.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:21pm
Strange comments from O'Neill who felt the game passed Burke by, which he said he expected.

-------------

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:28pm
He looked comfortable, fair play to him. He’s well able to rebuild his career back in England but great to see he doesn’t have to 

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

He looked comfortable, fair play to him. He’s well able to rebuild his career back in England but great to see he doesn’t have to 

There may come a time the movement between IRL and UK (wherever) is invisible and just part of the path of a football career. 'Returning' to IRL wont be seen as a pause or distruption to a footballer's career but just part of a normal career.

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 11:20am
O Neill comments were his subtle way of saying he won't be picked for the Wales/Denmark games. f**king ridiculous comments. 

Burke scored and the 75 or so minutes over the two appearances contributed more than some have in half a dozen appearances. He doesn't need blinding pace, his football intelligence and natural ability more than compensates.

Should remain part of the squad but I've no faith in O Neill deeming it so. 

Delighted for the lad the past week. 

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 11:24am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He played well. He's certainly comfortable on the ball, just a bit unfortunate he lacks pace.

Used the ball last night but his lack of pace will hold him back.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 11:34am
If MON is dropping him on the premise that the game passed him by, then every member of the squad who has played should have been dropped over the past year!

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 11:44am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

They said the same about Teddy Sheringham. I disagree regarding Burke. Wes wasn't exactly Usain Bolt either.,

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 12:13pm
Burke done himself absolutely no harm whatsoever and did not look out of place at all 

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

They said the same about Teddy Sheringham. I disagree regarding Burke. Wes wasn't exactly Usain Bolt either.,

You wouldn't have said that Wes had blistering pace either. Regardless of what MON said I do think that Burke will need a move back to the Championship to kick on to the next level. 

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 12:15pm

To be clear, I'm not suggesting his lack of pace will prevent him winning more caps, merely that it will hold him back from reaching the top level. He looks a useful footballer, but unlike Sheringham I doubt he's brilliant enough to compensate for for his lack of speed at the highest level of the game. 

I'd like to see him remain in the LOI until at least the end of the season and see what sort of a goal tally he can rack up. Lest we forget that failed L2 striker Pat Hoban is currently 5 goals ahead of him in the charts, while mediocre SPL striker Graham Cummins is level with him...

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Los Aros
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 12:31pm

To be clear, I'm not suggesting his lack of pace will prevent him winning more caps, merely that it will hold him back from reaching the top level. He looks a useful footballer, but unlike Sheringham I doubt he's brilliant enough to compensate for for his lack of speed at the highest level of the game. 

I'd like to see him remain in the LOI until at least the end of the season and see what sort of a goal tally he can rack up. Lest we forget that failed L2 striker Pat Hoban is currently 5 goals ahead of him in the charts, while mediocre SPL striker Graham Cummins is level with him...

Burke isn't a  striker so whats the point in comparing him to Hoban and Cummins?

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Los Aros Los Aros wrote:

Burke isn't a  striker so whats the point in comparing him to Hoban and Cummins?

Yes he is LOL at best you could argue he's a "2nd striker", but that is still a striker.... In any case, if he's going to continue to be called up, he'll need to be outscoring the likes of Hoban, Cummins, and McEneff (who is a genuine midfielder, unlike Burke).

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 2:14pm

Yes he is LOL at best you could argue he's a "2nd striker", but that is still a striker.... In any case, if he's going to continue to be called up, he'll need to be outscoring the likes of Hoban, Cummins, and McEneff (who is a genuine midfielder, unlike Burke).

Usually plays behind the striker in an attacking midfield position or out wide on the right, rarely plays as an out and out striker for Rovers.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 3:37pm
I actually think sheringham is a good model for Burke, Horsebox. A good footballing brain can take you a long way, and for a long time.

Burke broke into a sprint at one point yesterday, and I was surprised by his rate of acceleration. Hopefully he’s got a hidden gear.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Ray Tracey in 1978
Beat Turkey 4-2.
Tracey got 2 and Giles also scored.
So 3 of the 4 goals scored by Rovers players.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 3:51pm

If MON is dropping him on the premise that the game passed him by, then every member of the squad who has played should have been dropped over the past year!

Is Burke the first Ireland player to be publicly criticised by MON in the media?

-------------
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 4:02pm
What did he say about Burke?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 4:30pm

O Neill comments were his subtle way of saying he won't be picked for the Wales/Denmark games. f**king ridiculous comments. 

Burke scored and the 75 or so minutes over the two appearances contributed more than some have in half a dozen appearances. He doesn't need blinding pace, his football intelligence and natural ability more than compensates.

Yep, Burke scoring will have irked oneill because he'll have to face a few unwanted questions when he leaves Burke out in future selections. Id say he is even regretting calling him up in the first place. For oneill to say the game passed him by is a horrible ****ish thing to say about a lad who has just scored on his home international debut. But that's oneill, a self centred egotistical spoofer.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 4:35pm
What he said about Burke is fairly standard MON-speak; whenever he is asked to praise a player he will tamper it with some form of criticism. I wouldn't read anything into it.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 4:41pm
Sounds like he will only pick him in future if he moves to England

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 5:00pm

What he said about Burke is fairly standard MON-speak; whenever he is asked to praise a player he will tamper it with some form of criticism. I wouldn't read anything into it.

Completely agree and I think it's more to keep them on edge (Not that I necessarily agree with O'Neill's public approach to this) to not be complacent and thinking they've done it and they'll be expected to be picked.

I genuinely don't mean this as a dig and I'd be the same myself but Burke in the interview wasn't shy in praising himself so O'Neill may be wanting to bring him back down to earth a bit. 

O'Neill is still very loyal to players that have always been with him showing up for every game, irrespective of form. Even someone like Darragh Lenihan who looked very good last night at CB. More so than Long and a lot more mobile.. This just like Trap is a fault they both share. Not to the extreme Trap did but still guilty of playing someone like Robbie Brady, Hendrick in the last qualifying campaign when they weren't playing well since the euros. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 5:43pm
LOL
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Yep, Burke scoring will have irked oneill because he'll have to face a few unwanted questions when he leaves Burke out in future selections. Id say he is even regretting calling him up in the first place. For oneill to say the game passed him by is a horrible ****ish thing to say about a lad who has just scored on his home international debut. But that's oneill, a self centred egotistical spoofer.

LOL
Lads, he played in two nothing friendlies and did grand and only grand at that.
He needs to go and establish himself at a higher level and then be given a chance again. I'd be fuming with O neill if he was in the next competitive squad. Some fellas get so carried away on here.

-------------
Here we go again

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 6:25pm

Well you should. It wasn't a slip of the tongue. It was his way of telling Burke,  "Until you upsticks and play in my neck of the woods, then pfo". 

Burke did his job, and did it well. There's not much more a striker can do to impress on your debut than score goals. But even with the current squad packed with ex-LOI players, the stereotype about LOI players is as rock solid in the mind of the current boss, as it has been with everyone before him since 1986. 

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 6:41pm
I think you have to look at how it will actually play out from Martin o'Neill's perspective.

It seems that Rice, O'Dowda, and Browne are the three players who are likely to play a major role in the next Qualification Campaign, provided their club form maintains. I suspect the likes of Matt Doherty, Scott Hogan, Sean Maguire, and possibly Alan Judge will all be the go-to squad names, alongside the likes of Westwood, and Hourihane. After that the names Randolph, Coleman, Ward, Duffy, Clark, K.Long, Arter, Hendrick, McCarthy,Brady, McClean Walters, and Long will all be guaranteed slots in the final reckoning. Already you are hitting 22 names before you include either Elliott/O'Malley/Doyle etc as the third keeper. That leaves very little room, and even with injuries, you have Christie, Meyler, McGeady, and Whelan who are all likely to get the nod over some of the lesser known names in the recent squads

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 6:56pm
Im sure its mainly the anti shams brigade today, but all the posts and nonsense of him 'robbing' the goal is fair annoying. If there was time for him to get a touch, there was time for a defender or keeper to also get a touch. You dont give them that chance, bury it. You think Ronaldo and the likes would just stand there and wait for it to go in? They would in their f**k.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Well you should. It wasn't a slip of the tongue. It was his way of telling Burke,  "Until you upsticks and play in my neck of the woods, then pfo". 

Burke did his job, and did it well. There's not much more a striker can do to impress on your debut than score goals. But even with the current squad packed with ex-LOI players, the stereotype about LOI players is as rock solid in the mind of the current boss, as it has been with everyone before him since 1986. 

If it was that cut-and-dry, then why did he bother calling him up in the first place, much less play him twice? You're making a ridiculously precise level of inference from what O'Neill actually said... As I've already pointed out, O'Neill's comments on Burke are directly in line with his comments on just about every Irish player; he focuses in on the negatives and doles out actual praise very sparingly. That's just his personality, he's a fairly dour git LOL

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 11:56am
Forest, Brentford, Blackburn and Preston may be interested, according to the Indo 

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/championship-clubs-to-step-up-interest-in-shamrock-rovers-hotshot-graham-burke-36973977.html" rel="nofollow - https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/championship-clubs-to-step-up-interest-in-shamrock-rovers-hotshot-graham-burke-36973977.html

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 6:07pm

If it was that cut-and-dry, then why did he bother calling him up in the first place, much less play him twice? 

Tokenism.

His interviews, (at least the ones I see) are standard manager speak, praising his players, criticising the ref/officials. Then attack TOD/journos for asking hard questions. You would expect a coach to encourage a new player and commend his contribution, even if he's crap. I have certainly never seen him dismiss a new player's contribution as "the game passed him by". He just doesn't want him there while he stays at home, and that was his way of saying it.

We are very short in options upfront, so to indicate that a player needs to get the hell out of Ireland, in order to play for Ireland is stupid. If a player is good enough to play for us while at a LOI club, he's good enough to play for us at any time. 

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

If it was that cut-and-dry, then why did he bother calling him up in the first place, much less play him twice? 

Tokenism.

His interviews, (at least the ones I see) are standard manager speak, praising his players, criticising the ref/officials. Then attack TOD/journos for asking hard questions. You would expect a coach to encourage a new player and commend his contribution, even if he's crap. I have certainly never seen him dismiss a new player's contribution as "the game passed him by". He just doesn't want him there while he stays at home, and that was his way of saying it.

We are very short in options upfront, so to indicate that a player needs to get the hell out of Ireland, in order to play for Ireland is stupid. If a player is good enough to play for us while at a LOI club, he's good enough to play for us at any time. 

Tokenism to play him twice? You can delude yourself all you want, but that's a bit more than "tokenism"....

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 8:08pm

He plays as an attacking midfielder for Rovers, mostly in the centre, sometimes wide, but he's never played as the centre forward for Rovers and we haven't played with a "second striker" since Michael O'Neill.

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 11:10am

He showed how versatile he is by scoring from an inch rather than the usual 25-30 yards.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 2:09pm

Forest, Brentford, Blackburn and Preston may be interested, according to the Indo 

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/championship-clubs-to-step-up-interest-in-shamrock-rovers-hotshot-graham-burke-36973977.html" rel="nofollow - https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/championship-clubs-to-step-up-interest-in-shamrock-rovers-hotshot-graham-burke-36973977.html

Surprised that solid Championship clubs are in for him after his time in England. That said, LOI is definitely on the rise. 

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Surprised that solid Championship clubs are in for him after his time in England. That said, LOI is definitely on the rise. 

Maguire’s impact last season has done a lot for perceptions of the league. Hopefully a few more lads can make the step up

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 10:13am
300k fee agreed with Preston according to the hacks

-------------

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 10:14am
so burke is heading to preston going by this?

https://www.balls.ie/football/graham-burke-heading-championship-390457" rel="nofollow - https://www.balls.ie/football/graham-burke-heading-championship-390457

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 10:18am
Could this be Prestons new attack?

Burke
Robinson Browne Maguire

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 10:43am
Bitter sweet for Rovers fans. Great to see him get a call up and play but lose him to England!

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Could this be Prestons new attack?

Burke
Robinson Browne Maguire

Maguire will be starting up front, Burke will go the way of Boyle, O'Connor and to a lesser extent Horgan who hasn't done much but is more suited to Prestons style of play compared to Burke.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:13pm
We have far too many guys at Preston competing for the same places. From our point of view, it'd be better if some actually left rather than adding more to it.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:16pm
300k is disappointing unless there are add-ons.

But delighted for the lad to be getting another crack over yonder.  Have loved watching him at Rovers.

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:16pm
Will definitely have to a Preston match next season given the huge Irish contingent there. Clap

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: smart man
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 1:28pm

We have far too many guys at Preston competing for the same places. From our point of view, it'd be better if some actually left rather than adding more to it.

-------------
alive and kicking

Posted By: Steve Shrewd
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 1:30pm
He must be full of confidence given his form for Rovers this season and also after recently making his Ireland debut. Let's hope it enables him to really hit the ground running when pre-season begins with Preston, and ensures he makes the most of his second opportunity across the water

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 1:59pm
I dont think its a good move, far too many players competing for the same positions there. Can see him going the way of Horgan rather than Maguire.

He generally plays as in attacking mid or right wing for Rovers, but can do a job up top if required.

So at Preston he'll have Robinson, Bodin, Barkhuizen, Browne, Horgan, Maguire, Harrop and Moult to compete for a 2 or 3 places.

He'd stand a better chance at Forest or Blackburn IMO.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 2:02pm
Horgan is a better player than Burke; if he can't get into the team, it's hard to see Burke faring any better.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

I dont think its a good move, far too many players competing for the same positions there. Can see him going the way of Horgan rather than Maguire.

He generally plays as in attacking mid or right wing for Rovers, but can do a job up top if required.

So at Preston he'll have Robinson, Bodin, Barkhuizen, Browne, Horgan, Maguire, Harrop and Moult to compete for a 2 or 3 places.

He'd stand a better chance at Forest or Blackburn IMO.

He has licence to roam behind the striker, he's not a winger by any stretch of the imagination.  He has the natural intelligence to drift into the spaces between midfield and up top and that's where he's at his best.  He can be hard to mark because of his intelligence in taking up positions.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 2:32pm

Horgan is a better player than Burke; if he can't get into the team, it's hard to see Burke faring any better.

Horgan is a completely different player to Burke.  The only similarity between them is they're Irish and both at Preston.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 3:09pm

Horgan is a completely different player to Burke.  The only similarity between them is they're Irish and both at Preston.

He'd be more like Callum Robinson, who will be his main competition. I only mentioned Horgan as I meant he'd probably be finding it hard to see game time like him, rather than slotting right in like Maguire did.

I just dont think this will be a good move for him.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 3:30pm

You might want to look up the definition of "completely different". A goalkeeper would be "completely different" to an attacking player; Burke and Horgan would realistically be competing for 1 of 4 attacking places in Preston's side, so they aren't that different... In any case, difference does not make comparison impossible, and Horgan is the better player IMO.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 4:26pm
Horgan is better at some aspects, Burke is better at others. If you’re talking natural ability, Burke hands down. John Terry is a better defender than Ronaldo, doesn’t make him a better player .

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 4:48pm

Horgan is better at some aspects, Burke is better at others. If you’re talking natural ability, Burke hands down. John Terry is a better defender than Ronaldo, doesn’t make him a better player .

I would disagree with that, I think Horgan has plenty of natural talent of his own. The Terry/Ronaldo example is a trite one; Terry is a centre-back, Ronaldo is a striker/winger. In any case, although Terry may be a better defender, absolutely no one would argue he's a better footballer.... Horgan and Burke are both attackers, and Horgan is the better attacker by a reasonable distance in my view.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 5:59pm
Horgan is meant to be going on loan to Rochdale according to some PNE folks...

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 6:15pm
That would be an absolutely atrocious move, he's going on 26 years old... He needs to be playing Championship football, or at the very least high-end L1 football.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: djhegzy
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 9:17am
Tbh I'm suprised Alex Neil is even playing as many Irish players as he does, 100% if Horgan was Scottish he would be a starter

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net