Forum Description: All League Of Ireland Teams Forum
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56321
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 11:14am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: LOI in Europe 2018
Posted By: adineen98
Subject: LOI in Europe 2018
Date Posted: 24 May 2018 at 10:03pm
Cork City are unseeded for the 1st qualifying round of the Champions League, and could face some very difficult opposition in the likes of APOEL, Legia Warsaw and, of course, Celtic. The dates for the 1st qualifying round are the 10th/11th and the 17th/18th of July.

In the Europa League, Dundalk are seeded for both the 1st and 2nd qualifying rounds, which presents a great opportunity for them to go on another run in Europe. Both Derry City and Shamrock Rovers are unseeded for the 1st qualifying round, throwing up the possibility of a tie against Rangers. The dates for the 1st qualifying round are the 12th and 19th of July.

Personally, I hope City get are drawn against either HJK Helsinki, TNS, or FC Kukesi; I feel that they would most certainly give City the best chance of progress. It wouldn't be a total disaster if City were to be knocked out of the CL at the first hurdle however; we'd drop into the Europa League 2nd qualifying round, so City are supposedly guaranteed to earn around €600,000 from Europe this season.

-------------
Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Replies:
Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 24 May 2018 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

Cork City are unseeded for the 1st qualifying round of the Champions League, and could face some very difficult opposition in the likes of APOEL, Legia Warsaw and, of course, Celtic. The dates for the 1st qualifying round are the 10th/11th and the 17th/18th of July.

In the Europa League, Dundalk are seeded for both the 1st and 2nd qualifying rounds, which presents a great opportunity for them to go on another run in Europe. Both Derry City and Shamrock Rovers are unseeded for the 1st qualifying round, throwing up the possibility of a tie against Rangers. The dates for the 1st qualifying round are the 12th and 19th of July.

Personally, I hope City get are drawn against either HJK Helsinki, TNS, or FC Kukesi; I feel that they would most certainly give City the best chance of progress. It wouldn't be a total disaster if City were to be knocked out of the CL at the first hurdle however; we'd drop into the Europa League 2nd qualifying round, so City are supposedly guaranteed to earn around €600,000 from Europe this season.

What could possibly go wrong.

Tough potential fixtures for Cork. While the CL is obviously more glamourous, the nature of the seedings and potential teams they could face means Irish teams have an undoubtedly more realistic chance in the EL qualifiers.

Is there much difference in prize money in the EL & CL qualifiers?

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 24 May 2018 at 10:22pm
The prize money for the EL qualifying rounds are:
- 1st QR: €215,000
- 2nd QR: €225,000
- 3rd QR: €235,000
- Elimination at the playoff round: €245,000

For the Champions League qualifying rounds, the prize money is: 
- 1st QR: €220,000
- 2nd QR: €320,000
- Loser 3rd QR: €420,000
- Loser P/O round: €3,000,000
- Winner P/O round: €2,000,000

-------------

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 24 May 2018 at 11:03pm
Looking at the draw theres about a quarter I'd put Cork favourites for, a quarter where they have a very good chance and half the teams I wouldn't hold a lot of hope. Dundalk should do well but will be tough for the other two. Hopefully they all do very well anyway, even Derry!

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 25 May 2018 at 8:43am

The prize money for the EL qualifying rounds are:
- 1st QR: €215,000
- 2nd QR: €225,000
- 3rd QR: €235,000
- Elimination at the playoff round: €245,000

For the Champions League qualifying rounds, the prize money is: 
- 1st QR: €220,000
- 2nd QR: €320,000
- Loser 3rd QR: €420,000
- Loser P/O round: €3,000,000
- Winner P/O round: €2,000,000

I think there's also 250K compensation for any champions that don't make the group stages, or maybe that has been done away with as they drop in to the EL?

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:22am
It's impossible with the new setup for City to get to the Group stage. UEFA have it setup now for the likes of Irish temas to target Europa LEague group stage unfortunately. Only 4 teams will get through from this lot:
Young Boys, PSV Eindhoven, AEK Athens, RB Salzburg, Dinamo Zagreb, Midtjylland, CFR Cluj, BATE Borisov, Legia Warsaw, Red Star Belgrade, Malmö FF, Astana, Hapoel Be'er Sheva, Celtic, APOEL, Rosenborg, Qarabağ, Ludogorets Razgrad.

Being unseeded in the first qualifying round means we'd have to beat 4 teams from that list over 2 legs - not gonna happen. 

Wherever we lose in CL, we drop into the EL qualifying. To get to Europa League Group Stage we need to win 3 and lose 1 round across both competitions. 

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:44am
Derry vs Rangers 12th July, my word that would be some laugh.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 25 May 2018 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

It's impossible with the new setup for City to get to the Group stage. UEFA have it setup now for the likes of Irish temas to target Europa LEague group stage unfortunately. Only 4 teams will get through from this lot:
Young Boys, PSV Eindhoven, AEK Athens, RB Salzburg, Dinamo Zagreb, Midtjylland, CFR Cluj, BATE Borisov, Legia Warsaw, Red Star Belgrade, Malmö FF, Astana, Hapoel Be'er Sheva, Celtic, APOEL, Rosenborg, Qarabağ, Ludogorets Razgrad.

Being unseeded in the first qualifying round means we'd have to beat 4 teams from that list over 2 legs - not gonna happen. 

Wherever we lose in CL, we drop into the EL qualifying. To get to Europa League Group Stage we need to win 3 and lose 1 round across both competitions. 

That's some list.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 25 May 2018 at 10:27am
Cork City are the only team with a realistic hope of making the EL group stages. Even then, City will need a very lucky draw in the CL first round and win it.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 25 May 2018 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Derry vs Rangers 12th July, my word that would be some laugh.

LOL

That would be something else. 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 25 May 2018 at 12:39pm
Just hoping that Burnley could get Rovers or City Thumbs Up

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: max
Date Posted: 25 May 2018 at 12:46pm
Whens the draw?

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 8:01pm
Just been confirmed that City are guaranteed at least €800,000 just for being in Europe this season. Any sort of progression in Europe would bring the total prize money to over €1.1 million. 

-------------

Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 8:02pm

Just been confirmed that City are guaranteed at least €800,000 just for being in Europe this season. Any sort of progression in Europe would bring the total prize money to over €1.1 million. 
thats unrreal money in our league. Hopefully our teams do well this season.

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 8:10pm

Its crazy money and you can see why some clubs over spend hoping to break into the top 4 given the money from Europe is more than all the league money combined for all 20 clubs and no tv money.

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 8:41pm

Made about that last year too, though that was 3 rounds of Europa League 

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 10:16pm
throw in the petty league prize money and it's almost a million for winning the league now

-------------

Posted By: adamlee
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 2:44am
€800,000 minimum, more money in qualifiers this year

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 2:00pm
City will play either Ludogorets Razgarf of Bulgaria, Legia Warsaw of Poland, Malmo of Sweden, Rosenborg of Norway or HJK Helsinki of Finland in the first qualifying round of the Champions League.

Personally, I think HJK Helsinki would offer City's best chance of progress. 

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 2:04pm
If Cork lose that game, do they then go into the EL?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: AnCearrbhach
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

If Cork lose that game, do they then go into the EL?

Yes there is a new champions route in the EL to make up for the hames they made of CL

-------------
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 2:09pm

Yes, with the new changes anyone that loses a CL qualifying round drop down to the EL qualifying. Makes qualifyng for the CL next to impossible but the new changes mean we could possibly see an Irish team reach EL group stages more often.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 9:09am
Dundalk (IRL)

Levadia Tallinn (EST)
ÍBV (ISL)
KuPS Kuopio (FIN)
Liepāja (LVA)
Tre Fiori (SMR) / Bala Town (WAL)
NSÍ Runavík (FRO)

Shamrock Rovers (IRL)

Hafnarfjördur (ISL)
Nordsjælland (DEN)
AIK (SWE)
Ventspils (LVA)
Shakhtyor Soligorsk (BLR)

Derry City (IRL)

Górnik Zabrze (POL)
Vardar (MKD)
Dinamo Minsk (BLR)
Spartak Subotica (SRB)
OFK Titograd (MNE)

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Dundalk (IRL)

Levadia Tallinn (EST)
ÍBV (ISL)
KuPS Kuopio (FIN)
Liepāja (LVA)
Tre Fiori (SMR) / Bala Town (WAL)
NSÍ Runavík (FRO)

Shamrock Rovers (IRL)

Hafnarfjördur (ISL)
Nordsjælland (DEN)
AIK (SWE)
Ventspils (LVA)
Shakhtyor Soligorsk (BLR)

Derry City (IRL)

Górnik Zabrze (POL)
Vardar (MKD)
Dinamo Minsk (BLR)
Spartak Subotica (SRB)
OFK Titograd (MNE)

Tough groups for all considering. Dundalk should be fine but there are a couple of potential banana skins. Disaster for Derry in terms of travel. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 10:28am
I'd be hoping for Bala or the San Marino team, would prefer to avoid the scandanavians

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 10:31am

I'd be hoping for Bala or the San Marino team, would prefer to avoid the scandanavians
There are no Scandinavian teams listed that you can play.Confused

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 10:55am
http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2019/draws/round=2000976/" rel="nofollow - http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2019/draws/round=2000976/

-------------

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 10:58am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Pedant o'clock, pretty common to include Finland & Iceland as Scandinavian even if it's not strictly correct.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 11:14am
City get Legia. Worst possible draw in my opinion.

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 11:23am
They weren't much good when Dundalk played them 2 yrs ago

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 11:27am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Pedant o'clock, pretty common to include Finland & Iceland as Scandinavian even if it's not strictly correct.
Pretty common alright, the same way it is common to lump us in with the Brits. Common is often wrong. There is a difference between Nordic and Scandinavian.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 11:27am
On the bright side City have received a bye to the 3rd qualifying round of the Europa League.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

They weren't much good when Dundalk played them 2 yrs ago
And yet they still qualified easily enough...

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 11:29am

On the bright side City have received a bye to the 3rd qualifying round of the Europa League.

you mean Legia right? LOL

-------------

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 11:37am
cant see them getting past Legia, won't have enough upfront to trouble them. its very difficult.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:08pm
If Cork get into the group stages of the Europa League is Turners Cross up to UEFA Standard for group games or will they have to play in Dublin  ? 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:14pm

Just ignore him, he knew rightly what I meant

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

If Cork get into the group stages of the Europa League is Turners Cross up to UEFA Standard for group games or will they have to play in Dublin  ? 

Assuming there was no concessions given Thomond would probably be most likely. Frank has already said no to the Pairc apparently.  

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:24pm
Tough draw for them, can't see them going through.

Will Legia be missing many players because of the world cup?

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:25pm
Was forgetting about Thomond

PUC wouldn't be great anyway. Too big imo

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:31pm

Just ignore him, he knew rightly what I meant
Ignore ignorance? There's irony for ya!

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Assuming there was no concessions given Thomond would probably be most likely. Frank has already said no to the Pairc apparently.  
That's not like Francis!

Legia have two defenders in the Poland squad, I assume they don't have any in any other?

-------------

Posted By: David McWilliams
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:51pm
When's the Europa draw?

Posted By: Nah Nah Nah Nah
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:52pm
Wednesday 

Posted By: David McWilliams
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:55pm
Sound fella Thumbs Up

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:17pm

They can FRO if they think they are coming up here to play

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

They can FRO if they think they are coming up here to play
It would go to Limerick. I would rather forfeit than play a home game in Tallaght.

-------------

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 2:27pm
So if Cork lose they'll go to the third qualifying round in Europa, meaning they just have to win 2 legs there to get into the Europa group stage? 

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 2:30pm
Yep

-------------

Posted By: Twoinarow
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 2:40pm
there is 4 Europa league rounds before group stages this year 

-------------
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

there is 4 Europa league rounds before group stages this year 

It's been that was for a while, only 3 for champions though so City will have to win 2 ties if they lose to Legia. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 3:04pm
Would they have been better off going in at the 2nd round? (assuming they lose to Legia)

Better chance of winning a game, better chance at getting more co efficient points, and a better chance at more prize money by winning in the 2nd round?

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 3:26pm

Would they have been better off going in at the 2nd round? (assuming they lose to Legia)

Better chance of winning a game, better chance at getting more co efficient points, and a better chance at more prize money by winning in the 2nd round?

Coefficient points is now based on the round you exit so no dis-advantage there. Prize money is a loss alright given we would have been seeded in that round and potentially could have played some very poor sides. However the freedom to play league matches while Dundalk are most likely playing European ties and not rolling the dice on getting a decent side negates this imo. 

All in all a positive development I think. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 3:42pm
Didn't realise the points had changed, yes the loss of a potential 260k is probably outweighed by a better chance of being in the champions league again next year

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:13am
Derry v Dinamo Minsk
Shamrock v AIK

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:28am
Off to Estonia for us, happy with that

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 12:39pm
How hard are these draws? Know nothing about the teams

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

How hard are these draws? Know nothing about the teams

They're all tough draws. Dundalk will go through but Levadia were actually the second highest non-seed in that entire round. Shams and Derry will have to do very well to stand any chance. 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 1:43pm
i'd say derry and shams will go out, hopefully dundalk will come through. if derry lose McEnef they could get a hammering, saying that they could get a hammering anyway.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:11pm
AEK Larnaka await Dundalk should Dundalk beat Levadia. That could be a tricky tie for them; Larnaka had the so-called dark arts down to a tee when City played them last season. 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:15pm
Larnaca were streets ahead of City last year. They won without breaking sweat

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:19pm

Larnaca were streets ahead of City last year. They won without breaking sweat

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying they didn't deserve to win, they nullified City effectively, but the constant niggling fouls on City and going down easily to break any momentum City tried to get going worked, and if they do the same to Dundalk, Dundalk will get very frustrated very quickly as City did, which could be their downfall.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:24pm
Yeah, their style of play was awful but it was effective. I couldn't see any LOI team getting close to them, based on that game at least.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:36pm

Yeah, their style of play was awful but it was effective. I couldn't see any LOI team getting close to them, based on that game at least.
i wouldnt go that far, they were not that good. Dundalk are better suited to europe that Cork imo anyway.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:40pm
Bit of a crappy 2nd round draw for us should we get there, good for the holidays though!

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

i wouldnt go that far, they were not that good. Dundalk are better suited to europe that Cork imo anyway.

They won in second gear, at most. They had loads to spare.

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:34pm

Bit of a crappy 2nd round draw for us should we get there, good for the holidays though!

Who did you get?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Who did you get?

AEK Larnaca, they got exactly the same draw as City last year which given we were un-seeded shows how unlucky they've been. 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 4:56pm

AEK Larnaka await Dundalk should Dundalk beat Levadia. That could be a tricky tie for them; Larnaka had the so-called dark arts down to a tee when City played them last season. 

Sure according to Caufield and a certain kenny Shiels, Dundalk are terrible for niggling fouls etc... We will get on grand

-------------

Posted By: Los Aros
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 5:06pm

Sure according to Caufield and a certain kenny Shiels, Dundalk are terrible for niggling fouls etc... We will get on grand

Id says thats pretty much everyones view on Dundalk not just Caufield and Shiels. Diving and surrounding the ref, Dundalks style of football.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:14pm
That’s why we will be grand 

-------------

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 12:03pm
I have a question about home domestic stadiums.

To other fans, is the redeveloped Brandywell Stadium considered a new ground or at least a consideration in listing European matches at The Brandywell?

For instance, any marketing that includes 'Derry's first UEFA game since their return to the Brandywell/ redeveloped of the Brandywell' 'First home UEFA game on Astro' that sort of thing maybe considered as 'new' for some Fans. It's worth an asterix on a list to me.

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 8:59pm
Anyone looking for a soccer fix the City game is being streamed here
http://live.drakulawidget.com/streamvideo10/cork-city-vs-legia-warsaw-live-stream-4685103.html" rel="nofollow - http://live.drakulawidget.com/streamvideo10/cork-city-vs-legia-warsaw-live-stream-4685103.html

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 9:16pm
Have being watching it on Citys FB page. They are doing very well

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 9:51pm
A decent effort against a decent team, from what I could make out on dodgy streams. It will probably be easy for them at home, unfortunately.

Their goal was a brilliant strike.
http://twitter.com/LegiaWarszawa/status/1016779945262141440" rel="nofollow - http://twitter.com/LegiaWarszawa/status/1016779945262141440

-------------

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 1:14am
Was at the game this evening. Legia really weren't very impressive, particularly up front. I thought Cork handled them well for the most part, the goal was a great strike. Cork really should have scored at least once as well, McNamee and Sheppard (I think) missed 2 brilliant chances. Does anyone know if Sadlier was fully fit? I was shocked to see him only come on so late.

Posted By: RKBarmyArmy
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 10:17am
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Does anyone know if Sadlier was fully fit? I was shocked to see him only come on so late.

He was fully fit, he just can't be trusted in games like this. Sadlier plays for Sadlier, not the team. 

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 10:43am

Does anyone know if Sadlier was fully fit? I was shocked to see him only come on so late.

Keohane would be much more solid defensively thas Sadlier so as part of JC's plan to keep it tight he made more sense. Added to that Sadlier has made some fantastic impacts off the bench this season and again looked lively last night when introduced. It will probably be more of the same next week with City looking to keep their shape and playing on the counter so I would expect a similar line-up. City actually had a surprising amount of possession last night, had the better chances and eventually lost to a fantastic strike, the players and manager will no doubt feel they could have delivered an historic result last night. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 10:44am

Keohane would be much more solid defensively thas Sadlier so as part of JC's plan to keep it tight he made more sense. Added to that Sadlier has made some fantastic impacts off the bench this season and again looked lively last night when introduced. It will probably be more of the same next week with City looking to keep their shape and playing on the counter so I would expect a similar line-up. City actually had a surprising amount of possession last night, had the better chances and eventually lost to a fantastic strike, the players and manager will no doubt feel they could have delivered an historic result last night. 

Cork would have won if they had of went for it and not left their 2 top scorers on the bench

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 10:48am

Cork would have won if they had of went for it and not left their 2 top scorers on the bench

Maybe, i'd struggle to see the game going much better that last night though we just didn't take the chances we got. 

-------------

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:06am
Originally posted by RKBarmyArmy RKBarmyArmy wrote:

He was fully fit, he just can't be trusted in games like this. Sadlier plays for Sadlier, not the team. 

Was the best player on the pitch when he came on I thought. 

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:08am

Fair enough, but surely he still should have gotten more than 10 minutes

Posted By: RKBarmyArmy
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:38am

Is that a fact? Must pass on your number to Caulfield. 

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 12:12pm

Fair enough, but surely he still should have gotten more than 10 minutes

They would of except injuries to Morrissey and McCormack ment substitutions had to be altered.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 1:37pm

Is that a fact? Must pass on your number to Caulfield. 

Mind the Gap

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 4:44pm
When I saw the City team, I'll be honest, I was a bit stunned as to why Sadlier and Cummins were left on the bench, but after the match, I think Caulfield got it right tactically. Considering most people, City fans included, expected Legia to swat City aside, the hope was to keep the scoreline respectable. City defended very well as a unit, restricted Legia to long range shots with Cherrie not really being tested, while creating some great chances. Injuries to both Morrissey and McCarthy disrupted the match plan somewhat. While Legia's goal was a fantastic one, there is some frustration surrounding it; nine times out ten, that shot flies over the bar, and the amount of space the scorer had was criminal, so it was an avoidable goal from a City perspective. The most frustrating thing for me, though, are the chances City missed, particularly the ones from McNamee and Cummins; City could and should have been 2-0 up by the time Legia's goal came around. There was also a mish*t from Keohane and header that was cleared off the line, but at this level, you have to take those chances.

The main thing is is that City are still well in this tie, and have nothing to lose in the second leg, so anything is possible. Even if City do lose in Warsaw, there's still the cushion of the Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 9:35pm
Greetings from Tallinn

Only team that actually tried to win a game won (never seen Derry)

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 9:38pm

Greetings from Tallinn

you must have teleported home ....

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 10:36pm

Greetings from Tallinn

Against the mighty Levadia Tallinn. Well done.

-------------

Posted By: The U
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 11:44pm
First time seeing rovers this year - right full was awful with the ball at his feet, and it seemed the left full had nothing in front of him so either forced back to a centre back or a hopeful clip down the line every time. Started bright but lacked  creativity, Finn was quiet enough. Tight enough contest that could've gone either way. The young keeper excellent on the ball he's been coached well to play under pressure.

Posted By: Given's zimmerframe
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 1:18am
Rovers keeper was excellent tonight, why did joey O'Brien come off?

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 8:12am
time for his cocoa and bed.

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 8:38am
And a bedtime story from big sam?

Posted By: The U
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

Got fairly smashed up after making a clearance. Had words for the striker who did it and then wouldn't shake their manager's hand when he was being helped off LOL

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 12:24pm
Looks like a disappointing year in Europe unless Dundalk assuming they see it out beat the Cypriot team in the next round. I take it Cork would face a very tough EL 3rd round if they go out of the CL

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 12:34pm
Rovers had no width and created nothing. AIK wasn't up to much but deserved the win 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Looks like a disappointing year in Europe unless Dundalk assuming they see it out beat the Cypriot team in the next round. I take it Cork would face a very tough EL 3rd round if they go out of the CL

If all goes as expected few beatable sides in there;

FC Midtjylland @2        Den  11.500              Shkendija Tetovo @1      Mac   3.500
Red Star Belgrade @2     Srb  10.750              F91 Dudelange @1         Lux   3.500
Hapoel Beer-Sheva @2     Isr  10.000              Spartak Trnava @1        Svk   3.500
Rosenborg BK @2          Nor   9.000              Víkingur @1              Far   3.000
HJK Helsinki @2          Fin   8.000              Crusaders Belfast @1     Nir   3.000
The New Saints @2        Wal   5.000              Sutjeska Niksic @1       Mon   2.500
Videoton Fehérvár @2     Hun   4.250              Suduva Marijampole @1    Lit   2.000
FK Kukësi @2             Alb   4.250              Spartaks Jurmala @1      Lat   1.750
CFR Cluj @2              Rom   4.090              Valur Reykjavik @1       Isl   1.650
Zrinjski Mostar @2       Bos   3.750              Cork City @1             Irl   1.750

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by The U The U wrote:

Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

Got fairly smashed up after making a clearance. Had words for the striker who did it and then wouldn't shake their manager's hand when he was being helped off LOL

Ah right that explains it, thought he was playing very well until he came off

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 3:00pm

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

If all goes as expected few beatable sides in there;

FC Midtjylland @2        Den  11.500              Shkendija Tetovo @1      Mac   3.500
Red Star Belgrade @2     Srb  10.750              F91 Dudelange @1         Lux   3.500
Hapoel Beer-Sheva @2     Isr  10.000              Spartak Trnava @1        Svk   3.500
Rosenborg BK @2          Nor   9.000              Víkingur @1              Far   3.000
HJK Helsinki @2          Fin   8.000              Crusaders Belfast @1     Nir   3.000
The New Saints @2        Wal   5.000              Sutjeska Niksic @1       Mon   2.500
Videoton Fehérvár @2     Hun   4.250              Suduva Marijampole @1    Lit   2.000
FK Kukësi @2             Alb   4.250              Spartaks Jurmala @1      Lat   1.750
CFR Cluj @2              Rom   4.090              Valur Reykjavik @1       Isl   1.650
Zrinjski Mostar @2       Bos   3.750              Cork City @1             Irl   1.750
The top three sides would be beyond City, you would imagine they would have a good chance against the rest. TNS would be a walkover.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 11:39pm
would Dundalk be favored to beat their next round opponent?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net