Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56296
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 9:00am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: World Cup 2018 Group B- POR/ESP/MOR/IRAN
Posted By: lassassinblanc
Subject: World Cup 2018 Group B- POR/ESP/MOR/IRAN
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 2:40pm
With a month to go and squads starting to be announced I thought it would be an idea to start threads for the World Cup. I've put together a guide to all the teams and these threads can then be used to discuss any further developments and of course the games:

Group B

PORTUGAL
SPAIN
MOROCCO
IRAN

Schedule

15th June 16:00        Morocco v Iran
15th June 19:00        Portugal v Spain

20th June 13:00        Portugal v Morocco
20th June 19:00        Iran v Spain

25th June 19:00        Iran v Portugal
25th June 19:00        Spain v Morocco

Team Overviews

Portugal

FIFA ranking: 4th

Star Player: Cristiano Ronaldo- Only really one man it could be the Real Madrid man scored 15 goals during qualifying.

WC History: A Eusebio inspired 3rd place finish in 1966 is the best they have managed a 4th place finish in 2006 is the best they have managed since.

Odds: 20-1

Synopsis: Lost their first game of qualifying away to the Swiss after that they were ruthlessly efficient 32 goals and only 2 conceded seen them top Group B ahead of the Swiss on goal difference after a 2-0 win in Lisbon. Any team with Ronaldo in it must be taken seriously, they open with the big game against Iberian neighbours Spain then games against Morocco and Iran. Should be at least making it out of the group a potential Last 16 vs Uruguay could be their undoing though a quarter final or semi-final is not beyond their capabilities if it clicks for them.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Anthony Lopes (Lyon), Beto (Goztepe), Rui Patricio (Sporting Lisbon)

Defenders: Bruno Alves (Rangers), Cedric Soares (Southampton), Jose Fonte (Dalian Yifang), Mario Rui (Napoli), Pepe (Besiktas), Raphael Guerreiro (Borussia Dortmund), Ricardo Pereira (Porto), Ruben Dias (Benfica)

Midfielders: Adrien Silva (Leicester), Bruno Fernandes (Sporting Lisbon), Joao Mario (West Ham), Joao Moutinho (AS Monaco), Manuel Fernandes (Lokomotiv Moscow), William Carvalho (Sporting)

Forwards: Andre Silva (AC Milan), Bernardo Silva (Manchester City), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Gelson Martins (Sporting Lisbon), Goncalo Guedes (Valencia), Ricardo Quaresma (Besiktas)

Spain

FIFA ranking: 8th

Star Player: A team were you could pick out majority of their squad as the star player but Isco was the key man against Italy in qualifying and Lopetegui seems to be getting the best out of him despite his club falters this season.

WC History: The perennial under achievers until 2010 were they were perhaps the best team in the World with Xavi, Iniesta,Busquets and Xavi Alonso orchestrating  their first World Championship.

Odds: 11/2

Synopsis: Qualifying was pitched as a straight shootout between themselves and Italy but they passed that with ease brushing the Italians aside in Madrid. As mentioned above an Iberian derby is their opener they currently hold the edge over them in head to head and I expect them to overcome them again, with Iran and Morocco making up Group B it is hard to see past them topping the Group and with the squad they have who knows they may go all the way again.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: David de Gea (Manchester United), Pepe Reina (Napoli), Kepa Arrizabalaga (Athletic Bilbao)

Defenders: Dani Carvajal (Real Madrid), Alvaro Odriozola (Real Sociedad), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Nacho (Real Madrid), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Nacho Monreal (Arsenal)

Midfielders: Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Saul Niguez (Atletico Madrid), Koke (Atletico Madrid), Thiago Alcantara (Barcelona), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City)

Forwards: Isco (Real Madrid), Marco Asensio (Real Madrid), Lucas Vazquez (Real Madrid), Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo), Rodrigo (Valencia), Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid)

Morocco

FIFA ranking: 42nd

Star Player: Hakim Ziyech- Dutch born Ziyech was one of the stand out players for them in qualifying and will be key if they are to cause an upset in Russia 

WC History: A last 16 place in 1986 remains their best placing

Odds: 325-1

Synopsis: Didn’t concede a goal in Group containing Ivory Coast, Gabon and Mali in qualifying 3 wins and 3 draws seen them top the group. They open against Iran, if they can beat them then who knows if they can keep Ronaldo quiet could they finish 2nd in the group? That will be their aim but I think they will bow out in the group stage.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Mounir El Kajoui (Numancia), Yassine Bounou (Girona), Ahmad Reda Tagnaouti (Ittihad Tanger)

Defenders: Mehdi Benatia (Juventus), Romain Saiss (Wolves), Manuel Da Costa (Basaksehir), Nabil Dirar (Fenerbahce), Achraf Hakimi (Real Madrid), Hamza Mendyl (LOSC)

Midfielders: M'barek Boussoufa (Al Jazira), Karim El Ahmadi (Feyenoord), Youssef Ait Bennasser (Caen), Sofyan Amrabat (Feyenoord), Younes Belhanda (Galatasaray), Faycal Fajr (Getafe), Amine Harit (Schalke 04)

Forwards: Khalid Boutaib (Malatyaspor), Aziz Bouhaddouz (Saint Pauli), Ayoub El Kaabi (Renaissance Berkane), Nordin Amrabat (Leganes), Mehdi Carcela (Standard de Liege), Hakim Ziyech (Ajax), Youssef En-Nesyri (Malaga).

Iran

FIFA ranking: 36th

Star Player: Sardar Azmoun scored 11 goals in qualifying and will be in familiar surroundings at the World Cup as he plays his club football for Rubin Kazan.

WC History: Have failed to progress further then Group Stage from their previous 4 appearances.

Odds: 500-1

Synopsis: Qualified unbeaten and only conceded 2 goals which were in the last game against Syria having already qualified. Similar to Morocco their aim will be for 2nd place but I think they will fall short as I can’t see them making it out the group.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Alireza Beyranvand (Persepolis), Rashid Mazaheri (Zob Ahan), Amir Abedzadeh (Maritimo).

Defenders: Majid Hosseini (Esteghlal), Ramin Rezaeian (Ostende), Mohammad Reza Khanzadeh (Padideh), Morteza Pouraliganji (Alsaad), Pejman Montazeri (Esteghlal), Milad Mohammadi (Akhmat Grozny), Roozbeh Cheshmi (Esteghlal), Ehsan Hajsafi (Olympiacos).

Midfielders: Saeid Ezatollahi (Amkar Perm), Masoud Shojaei (AEK Athens), Mehdi Torabi (Saipa), Omid Ebrahimi (Esteghlal), Karim Ansarifard (Olympiacos).

Forwards: Alireza Jahanbakhsh (AZ Alkmaar), Mahdi Taremi (Al Gharafa), Sardar Azmoun (Rubin Kazan), Reza Ghoochannejhad (Heerenveen), Saman Ghoddos (Ostersunds), Ashkan Dejagah (Nottingham Forest), Vahid Amiri (Persepolis).

Replies:
Date Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:20am
Portugal Preliminary Squad updated

Date Posted: 18 May 2018 at 9:18am
Final Portugal 23 announced.
Some big names left out

Nani ,Andre Gomes and Ruben Neves also the man who won them the Euros Eder all dropped

Full list of dropped players
Antunes
Joao Cancelo
Luis Neto
Nelson Semedo
Rolando
Ruben Neves,
Sergio Oliveira
Nani
Ronny Lopes
Eder
Andre Gomes
Paulinho

Date Posted: 18 May 2018 at 12:27pm
Morocco squad updated

Posted By: mandrake
Date Posted: 18 May 2018 at 12:34pm
an Iberian derby group... they should invite iran over to spain and just play it there...or Portugal or morrocco

-------------
Come on Irelind

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 18 May 2018 at 1:41pm
Surprised Boufal doesn't make the Morocco squad...I take it they're going for substance over style then!

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 18 May 2018 at 11:05pm
Not often you'd see 3 Barca players dropped from their country's national team.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 12:16pm
No Morata, Bellerin, Marcos Alonso or Fabregas for Spain!

Big call on Fabregas.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 12:41pm
Spain squad updated

Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 1:03pm
No real surprise in Morata.
Bellerin didn't have a great season either.
Marcos Alonso has had his injury issues this season but I would have brought him ahead of Nacho Monreal, obviously Alba is going to be first choice there but Alonso offers more of threat than Monreal with his set pieces.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:05pm
Monreal probably the only Arsenal player to come out with a bit of credit this season. He's a better player than Alonso.

As already mentioned, big call on Fabregas.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 27 May 2018 at 12:42pm
Dani Carvajal tore his hamstring last night , he'll be be assessed by Spanish medical team first Hector Bellerin on stand by though

Posted By: Takeen
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 1:37pm
As of 4th June, all the teams are out.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 7:51pm
 final World Cup Squads updated

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 10:23pm
Lithuania reach Russia.

Friday 08th June, Islamic Republic of Iran v Republic of Lithuania, Otkrytiye Stadion/Spartak Moscow

Photos from IRI Moscow training camp.
http://www.ffiri.ir/news/detail/آغاز-دوباره-تمرینات-تیم-ملی-امید/174282/news.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.ffiri.ir/news/detail/آغاز-دوباره-تمرینات-تیم-ملی-امید/174282/news.aspx

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 10:29pm
Could Iran have drawn Saudi Arabia in a group (they were different seeds) given the current political situation or would it have been changed? I assume they could have as Iran played the U.S. in France 98.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Could Iran have drawn Saudi Arabia in a group (they were different seeds) given the current political situation or would it have been changed? I assume they could have as Iran played the U.S. in France 98.
I don’t think you can have 2 Asians in the same group.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I don’t think you can have 2 Asians in the same group.

You're right. 

You can have 2 European teams in the same group but not 2 of the same from any other confederation.

-------------

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:28am
I'm not that convinced by either Spain or Portugal's squads. Portugal's defence looks very old. I think Morocco could well nip in here and eliminate one of them - probably Portugal, who are serial underperformers in World Cups.

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:29am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

I'm not that convinced by either Spain or Portugal's squads. Portugal's defence looks very old. I think Morocco could well nip in here and eliminate one of them - probably Portugal, who are serial underperformers in World Cups.

Spains squad is outstanding.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:45am

Care to elaborate about Spain's squad?

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:50am

It was outstanding on paper in 2014 and 2016 too and they did nothing. 

To me it doesn't look to have the calibre of leadership that the 2008-2012 squads had and I'm not sure they have have the right balance. 

I think they might make a quarter-final, but I wouldn't be backing them to go any further. 

Should Russia get out of their group they could trouble them in the last 16 and I'd expect Uruguay to outfight them if they're paired with them at that stage.

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:54am
Bruno Alves in the Portuguese squad at the rope old age of 53 Smilethey must be really stuck for players if he can make the cut. He was awful for the New Huns anytime i seen him the season gone.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 1:14am

To me it doesn't look to have the calibre of leadership that the 2008-2012 squads had and I'm not sure they have have the right balance. 

I think they might make a quarter-final, but I wouldn't be backing them to go any further. 

Should Russia get out of their group they could trouble them in the last 16 and I'd expect Uruguay to outfight them if they're paired with them at that stage.

In both of those tournaments there was too many of the older generation in the squads. Now, Lopetegui has brought in some of the players he had through the youth teams, like Azpilicueta, Isco, Rodrigo, Asensio etc.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 6:37am
Agree about Portugal squad the defence is old and lacks pace but they do play very deep and will depend on a team collective and will look to catch teams on the counter similar to how they played at the Euros.

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 7:49pm
Spain currently playing Tunisia live on the freeview channel 422 on sky.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 5:10pm
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/world-cup-2018-football-the-constant-of-iran-s-revolution-years-1.3522780?mode=amp" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/world-cup-2018-football-the-constant-of-iran-s-revolution-years-1.3522780?mode=amp

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 10:35am

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/world-cup-2018-football-the-constant-of-iran-s-revolution-years-1.3522780?mode=amp" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/world-cup-2018-football-the-constant-of-iran-s-revolution-years-1.3522780?mode=amp

Very Western-influenced Keith Duggan is a terrible journalist and sports journalist. Cold Wars (Economic theory and Religion)language appear in his articles. Gaps of information, gaps of timelines appear in his articles.

Proper names of sports teams could of been mentioned, while fixating on one football match mentioning any of the scorers would given some context. IRI with USA was the 2nd game of group mentioning other group teams would give match sporting context. IRI played a WC match after their qualifier against AUS. It is an article on a sports page.

1991 USA v Islamic Republic of Iran was one of the football games at World Student Games/XVI Universiade held at venues around Sheffield. Cobi Jones played in that match too, but this is a football statistic and a relevant sporting connection to the IRI/USA WC game 1998, it's not likely to be on Duggan's radar.
This was the same Tournament where Democratic People's Republic of Korea played Republic of Korea in the quarters. Normal and ordinary behaviour as sports teams share the same space.

"How they looked, how they were dressed and what they ate." It's not as important as Keith Duggan believes it is.

I blame the Irish Times's Sports Editor.

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 10:45am
He also states that the ginger icon of US '94 Alexi Lalas was a striker. Unforgivable.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:24am
👀

https://mobile.twitter.com/dermotmcorrigan" rel="nofollow -
Seems quite possible that Rubiales / Lopetegui press conference in about an hour will be to announce Spain will have a different coach on bench v Portugal on Friday. Hierro and Celades candidates to step in

Would be some story if Spain win it now LOL

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:39am
that would be madness and not great prep for a World Cup you'd have to think

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:40am
Don't blame them in away. ****ish thing that was done yesterday. Hierro hopping mad about it supposedly which suggests they weren't in the loop 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Don't blame them in away. ****ish thing that was done yesterday. Hierro hopping mad about it supposedly which suggests they weren't in the loop 

I've heard that it was only announced as some of the Real players knew and had let slip and it caused slight issue in the camp

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:20am
I know someone who loves a short-term role as Manager who would be suitable.

El Grande Sam Allerdyco.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:45am
Seems the players have stepped in. Iniesta and Ramos are going to be at the conference (once it actually goes ahead)

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:56am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

El Grande Sam Allerdyco.

Gary Lineker (™)(®)© 

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:05am
Sacked

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:08am
So happy I backed Spain to win....

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:10am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

El Grande Sam Allerdyco.

Gary Lineker <span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 19.2px;">(™)</span><span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 19.2px;">(®)</span><span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 19.2px;">©</span><span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 19.2px;"> </span>

Sir Bobby Robson has shown success at this level, he knows the latin mind aswell.

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:15am
They didn't announce a replacement either - so 48 hours out from their first game and Spain have no manager in place.
This has to be a World Cup first?

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:21am
Del Bosque to return perhaps?

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:21am

I told yis Spain didn't have the calibre of leadership they had between 2008 and 2012. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:23am
Crazy story alright, appears that he didn't get permission to talk to Real Madrid from the Spanish FA hence they sacked him for breach of that.

You'd have to imagine the Spanish FA wouldn't be too happy with Real Madrid either, is La Liga run by the Spanish FA? or is it like Premier League and a separate entity?

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:25am

Hierro being rumoured to step in. He has the  badges afaik 

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:30am
Spain have done a Saipan

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Spain have done a Saipan

Or they've just gone back to the way they always were pre-2008.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:34am

He's Sporting Director of Spanish FA now right?

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:36am

El Grande Sam Allerdyco.

LOL LOL 

behind the scenes negotiations reveal it was sorted over three pints of Sangria 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:38am
Seems the players did try to stop him from being sacked, but the FA decided it was the only option Confused

Posted By: alihau41
zidane spotted leaving the UArena very hastily last night after the france 98 v fifa 98 charity match (which he scored a lovely free-kick). supposed sighting at CDG, heading straight to Moscow...

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

He's Sporting Director of Spanish FA now right?

Yep. Spanish FA President has said they don't want to cause further disruption so Sid Lowe reckons indicates it will probably be Hierro and or Celeades 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:39am
There is the usual divisions with Barcelona and Real Madrid - so this will only make it 10 times worse. Hahahaha

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:39am
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Seems the players did try to stop him from being sacked, but the FA decided it was the only option Confused

Breach of contract. Don't think they had much option 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:41am

Of course they had an option ffs

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:42am

Not really. If they didn't nothing  to stop future managers doing similar 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:52am

You'd swear it was a common occurrence. Whatever disruption the announcement yesterday caused has been made 10 times worse by this decision

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:54am

You'd swear it was a common occurrence. Whatever disruption the announcement yesterday caused has been made 10 times worse by this decision

Yeah been thrown into major chaos

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:55am
Had no option but to sack him IMO.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:59am
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Had no option but to sack him IMO.

I agree too it's still crazy though

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:02pm
You can't have your Country undermined by that carry on. They were right to sack him. He'll be doing well to stay at Madrid beyond a year I'd say due to this carry on. Can't imagine many of the fans will give him much time due to what he's done to the National Team.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:14pm
u21 coach, Celades, gets the job

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:14pm
With this being one of the few world cups the Dutch haven't qualified for, the Spanish have stepped in to fill the void as the team most likely to shoot themselves in the foot.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:16pm
Sure MON whored himself to Everton and Stoke and we gave him a new contract and he is useless!  Don't know nough of the details to comment on Spain's situation 

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Sure MON whored himself to Everton and Stoke and we gave him a new contract and he is useless!  Don't know nough of the details to comment on Spain's situation 

But MON had permission to do so, Lopetegui didn't that is the difference

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:19pm

But MON had permission to do so, Lopetegui didn't that is the difference

Maybe with Stoke but not with Everton afaik.  Anyway we should have been pushing him out the door.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:26pm

Jesus only you could turn this into a bitch about MON

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:32pm

Jesus only you could turn this into a bitch about MON

Cool

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:39pm

So happy I backed Spain to win....

Same LOL

Have them backed outright, to reach the final, in a goalscorer/winner double and to win on Friday night! good times.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:49pm
Why couldn't he aNd Madrid have a gentleman's agreement that he would be the new manager and they would do the necessary work after the WC. It would have been leaked and all he would have to say is I will assess my situation after the WC. 

This is Real Madrid, he's hardly going to have a bigger and better option even if he had won the WC that he would sign for and stitch up Real. 

Morons Approve

-------------

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:50pm

It's been done in the past however! Sir Bobby agreed to join PSV on the eve of Italia '90. 

The fact that the players were united behind him probably makes it a very bad decision. 20 games 0 losses and the full backing of the dressing room is a big ask to replace.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:52pm

It's been done in the past however! Sir Bobby agreed to join PSV on the eve of Italia '90. 

The fact that the players were united behind him probably makes it a very bad decision. 20 games 0 losses and the full backing of the dressing room is a big ask to replace.

With the full consent of the FA.

The Spanish FA only found 5mins before it was announced yesterday 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:13pm
Announced Hierro will take take charge

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 7:25pm
When the story first broke that Lopategui was about to be sacked I have to say I felt sorry for him but on hearing the details of what sort of carry on himself and Real Madrid were at its hard to feel anything for him.

Terrible carry on, especially when he just signed a new contract! 

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 6:04am
Looking forward to the Portugal v Spain game tonight may stick some bets on it.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 4:03pm
That w**ker of a ref  Cuneyt Cakir ref for Iran v Morocco expect to see a red card 

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 4:42pm
It's been entertaining enough. Iran are a reminder that you don't have to resort to puke football when playing defensively.

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 4:47pm
Iran actually look like a half decent side. Should be one up.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Really? Morocco could have been a couple up after twenty minutes! Iran have grown into the game a bit, but look average.
Morocco need to stop going down so easily though, that and their keeper is their biggest failing.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Really? Morocco could have been a couple up after twenty minutes! Iran have grown into the game a bit, but look average.
Morocco need to stop going down so easily though, that and their keeper is their biggest failing.

Agree with PM.

Iran have had the biggest chance but Morocco seem the better team overall

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:32pm
Tbh Not the worst of games better than earlier game at least both teams are trying to attack

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:38pm
Both teams know that they are out if they don't win, which is why a draw is guaranteed!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:49pm
This game Dead

-------------

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:52pm
Brian Kerr complaining about Queiroz being too defensive.Ermm

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:56pm
og header to win it for Iran.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:57pm
Iran to put 11 men behind the ball now against Portugal and Spain

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Cracking header to win it for Iran.

Was an own goal DM LOL

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:58pm
Two poor teams, won in a particularly poor way.

Entertaining game and at least having a winner keeps the optics of a competitive group.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:58pm

Was an own goal DM LOL

You saw the replay too.
Big smile

-------------

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:59pm
Sickened for Morocco, Iran one horrible dirty team to watch which is why I might follow them for the tournament instead of Ireland 

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 6:03pm

Decent in that they’ve improved a bit since the last time I’ve seen them play (last WC). Missed the second half so not sure of the manner that they won in, but that was a decent result as they were 4/1 to win that game. 

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 6:03pm

Was an own goal DM LOL

You saw the replay too.
Big smile

Yeah I'll admit initially thought it was header by Iranian forward

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 6:09pm

Was an own goal DM LOL

You saw the replay too.
Big smile

Yeah I'll admit initially thought it was header by Iranian forward

Very honest of you.
Clap

-------------

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 6:09pm
f**king awful. Two f**king eires.

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 6:17pm
some great Kerr-isms   
“He’s banjoed “ being the highlight Clap

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

f**king awful. Two f**king eires.
I thought it was a decent game myself, felt both teams deserve better than to be compared to us!

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 6:59pm
Ger Canning commentating Ermm

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 7:05pm
Ronaldo!!!

Wonder what that will do to Spain's confidence

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 7:07pm
Never,ever, ever a penalty! That was disgraceful

-------------

Posted By: eboue16
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 7:11pm

Never,ever, ever a penalty! That was disgraceful

100% pen

-------------
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 7:14pm