Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56232
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 1:00pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lee O'Connor
Posted By: bhob
Subject: Lee O'Connor
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 11:09am
Can't find a thread about this lad. Getting rave reviews for the Man Utd U-18s this season and has also made the step up to the U-23s.

Looks like one for the future

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/waterford-manchester-united-starlet-lee-oconnor-talent-temperament-go-way-149048" rel="nofollow - https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/waterford-manchester-united-starlet-lee-oconnor-talent-temperament-go-way-149048

Replies:
Posted By: gmfc90
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Can't find a thread about this lad. Getting rave reviews for the Man Utd U-18s this season and has also made the step up to the U-23s.

Looks like one for the future

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/waterford-manchester-united-starlet-lee-oconnor-talent-temperament-go-way-149048" rel="nofollow - https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/waterford-manchester-united-starlet-lee-oconnor-talent-temperament-go-way-149048

He's quality. Yet to find a position though. Can play fullback, centre back or midfield. Bosses all three. Same club O'Shea came from

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 1:19pm
JOS played for Waterford Bohs, Lee O'Connor came from Villa FC (different Waterford junior club), though both clubs play practically beside each other in the Poleberry area of Waterford. I know a few of the underage Villa coaches, they are naturally very proud of Lee and his achievements so far .

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

JOS played for Waterford Bohs, Lee O'Connor came from Villa FC (different Waterford junior club), though both clubs play practically beside each other in the Poleberry area of Waterford. I know a few of the underage Villa coaches, they are naturally very proud of Lee and his achievements so far .

Knew it was the same area. I remember reading a few years ago about him. Could get a cup run out next season for United

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 1:26pm
He'll possibly be a bit short to make the breakthrough at centre-back. In any case, he'd be wasted there; with his technical ability he'd be best utilised in midfield.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He'll possibly be a bit short to make the breakthrough at centre-back. In any case, he'd be wasted there; with his technical ability he'd be best utilised in midfield.

Not even 18 yet. If he's anything like McTominay he's a good bit to grow yet

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 1:48pm
He's 18 in 3 months, in a scientific sense, your average person is between 95-100% grown at that age. I'd say he'd be doing exceptionally well to reach 6'0. Not that that would stop him becoming a top class centre back, it'll just makes it a bit more difficult to convince certain managers (like Mourinho, who likes his defenders tall) to give him a chance there.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 1:56pm
Cannavaro was 5"9.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 1:58pm

Lads physically develop at different rates.
Also the gym can play its part. Look at Gareth Bale or Ronaldo when they were 18 compared to now.

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Cannavaro was 5"9.

He was, what's your point?

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Lads physically develop at different rates.
Also the gym can play its part. Look at Gareth Bale or Ronaldo when they were 18 compared to now.

They certainly do. However, Gareth Bale and Ronaldo were both over 6'0 at 18. They may have filled out significantly, but you can't work in the gym to grow taller. It'll be difficult for O'Connor to get a chance at centre-back unless he grows 3-4 inches simply because there's a bias towards taller centre backs, in the same way as there's a bias towards taller goalkeepers, faster wingers, and so on.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 2:32pm
What height is he? 

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 2:34pm
5'8/5'9 I believe.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 2:57pm

5'8/5'9 I believe.

He'd be doing very well to reach about 5'11 I'd say.

But is height really that important for centre halves in the modern game? 

We're seeing an abundance of so called ball playing centre halves these days, and if O'Connor has the technical ability to make up for his lack of height, then he'll be OK. 

There's lads like around at the moment like John Stones, or even that Christensen lad who played for Denmark against us. Both are fairly tall and good on the ball, but are pretty weak at defending aerial set-pieces.

Does O'Connor happen to have a GAA background? He doesn't look to shirk from tackles in any clips I've watched of him. 

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 3:51pm

Cannavaro was 5"9.

That you don't have to be 6"+ to be a good player.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 4:06pm

Cannavaro was 5"9.

That you don't have to be 6"+ to be a good player.

No one said you did. I merely said it's more difficult to convince managers to give you chance.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 5:37pm
Plays for the North according to the Daily Star.

Man Utd fans hail young star Lee O'Connor after this epic lob for Northern Ireland U19s:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/691559/Man-Utd-news-Lee-OConnor-goal-Northern-Ireland-European-Championships-video" rel="nofollow - https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/691559/Man-Utd-news-Lee-OConnor-goal-Northern-Ireland-European-Championships-video

Posted By: SimonCox
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Plays for the North according to the Daily Star.

Man Utd fans hail young star Lee O'Connor after this epic lob for Northern Ireland U19s:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/691559/Man-Utd-news-Lee-OConnor-goal-Northern-Ireland-European-Championships-video" rel="nofollow - https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/691559/Man-Utd-news-Lee-OConnor-goal-Northern-Ireland-European-Championships-video

I dunno what that is about. 

He was playing for our U19s last week in the elite qualifiers. 

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

????? Is he with us or against us?

Dime bar

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 9:18pm
Jesus lads, some of you are thick as sh*t

http://www.fai.ie/ireland/match/24/2018/2023676?tab=report" rel="nofollow - http://www.fai.ie/ireland/match/24/2018/2023676?tab=report

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 11:07pm
played well especially in the second half. Is he likely to go on loan soon or keep playing for the Celtic youth team?

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 10:02am
I think the Celtic may have  been a bad move in hindsight. He's a lot of competition for the RB role. Might have to go off again in the summer

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: fr larry duff
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 10:32am
he's been unlucky in that last season Celtic didn't have one decent right back but now there are 3 ahead of him in the pecking order who are all doing well, reckon he could be loaned out.

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 8:25pm
I thought he had a very good game last night but on reflection, I can't recall many attacks down our left (goal aside) or any key defending which stood out. More of a reflection on how bad NZ were.

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 5:27pm
Didn't make the squad at the weekend. You'd worry about his prospects.

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Didn't make the squad at the weekend. You'd worry about his prospects.
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚your fully embracing blue Monday! 

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 5:59pm
Players are written off far too early nowadays. Not all young players are freakishly fast-developing wunderkinds a la Owen and Rooney - and when they are they often peak and decline much earlier. Young players can take time to grow into their bodies, and are often inconsistent, impetuous, erratic and make mistakes.

Some players are late developers, too. There are a multitude of players who fit this category. Just look at Walters, Stevens and McGoldrick as a few examples.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Players are written off far too early nowadays. Not all young players are freakishly fast-developing wunderkinds a la Owen and Rooney - and when they are they often peak and decline much earlier. Young players can take time to grow into their bodies, and are often inconsistent, impetuous, erratic and make mistakes.

Some players are late developers, too. There are a multitude of players who fit this category. Just look at Walters, Stevens and McGoldrick as a few examples.

True enough, but on the flip side of the coin, players like Lee O'Connor, Jonathan Afolabi and Armstrong Oko-flex can be built up solely on the basis of who they play/ed their youth team football for.

For every Robbie Brady, Paul McShane and Anthony Stokes who have respectable careers, you have Patrick Cregg, Conor Henderson and Sean McGinty who just about manage to eke out a career at the pro level.

There's far more of the latter.

Posted By: exgrad
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 8:12pm
From tranmere forum the view seems more positive than negative

https://m.thefootballnetwork.net/boards/read/s383.htm?730,16902620" rel="nofollow - https://m.thefootballnetwork.net/boards/read/s383.htm?730,16902620

No word why he wasnt in squad at weekend.  They also seem to think his wages at Celtic are 6k a week, which cant be right can it?

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 7:14pm
O'Connor playing well in midfield so far tonight in EFL Trophy semi final against Oxford. Sykes and Shodipo on for Oxford, Kelly and Forde on bench. Shodipo looking the best of the bunch as we go into second half, great pace and looks a threat when he gets the ball.

Posted By: Frabhoy
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

O'Connor playing well in midfield so far tonight in EFL Trophy semi final against Oxford. Sykes and Shodipo on for Oxford, Kelly and Forde on bench. Shodipo looking the best of the bunch as we go into second half, great pace and looks a threat when he gets the ball.

Lee is playing well. Taking to thw defensive midfield role like a young Glenn Whelan. 

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Frabhoy Frabhoy wrote:

Lee is playing well. Taking to thw defensive midfield role like a young Glenn Whelan. 

Oh dear, he can always play at right back instead. 

Posted By: Frabhoy
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Frabhoy Frabhoy wrote:

Oh dear, he can always play at right back instead. 

He dropped into right back when Jay Spearing came on. Very impressive im both positions. Hopefully a start at Wembley and a few more league games. 

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:05am
David Nugent, Jay Spearing and James Vaughan all on the bench for Tranmere.

It'll be a great occasion for him to play a final at Wembley, regardless of what cup it is.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 2:03pm
Not in the squad for the final against Sunderland today despite all the talk about him.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 2:06pm
RuaidhrĆ­ Higgins is meant to be watching him today. 

McGeady the only other Irish player playing which Kenny more or less ruled him out.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 3:01pm

Not in the squad for the final against Sunderland today despite all the talk about him.

Hes injured

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 3:09pm
Well thatā€™s a focking waste of time for the scout ffs. 

Hopefully AMc makes it a worthwhile mission 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: DR.HUGO
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 7:09pm
McGeady made the goal and played well...never thought he would make a squad again but itā€™s not right to ignore him in the form heā€™s in and the experience he brings plus heā€™s finally learned to cross a ball āš½ļø 

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:58pm

I think you should do a quick check on whether a player is injured before your next "Irish player dropped" post. 

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 6:06pm
He played in midfield today, I know in the reverse fixture he played at right-back. I didn't know he could play in midfield, did he start off there?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He played in midfield today, I know in the reverse fixture he played at right-back. I didn't know he could play in midfield, did he start off there?

Hes been playing there quite a bit as a very mobile holding midfielder, I believe he's won a few MOTM for his performances there. 

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Hes been playing there quite a bit as a very mobile holding midfielder, I believe he's won a few MOTM for his performances there. 
That's the role he played today. Tranmere had Khan at right-back too, who I had previously seen as a winger for a couple of different clubs.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 6:23pm

Apparently done well there this year. When he was coming through at United he played across the back and in midfield.

I think heā€™ll be a player for us. He has a lot of ability 

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 8:06pm
He played midfield for us at the Euro Under 19s I think. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up there, there's a player in there but I'm not sure he's a good enough right back.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 10:45pm

I remember reading on a Manchester United forum a couple of years ago that he was a cracking centre half but just never got the growth spurt he needed to play there as a senior. 

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 6:37pm
Bradford v Tranmere tonight.

Anthony O'Connor, Paudie O'Connor and Lee O'Connor all start. Surely the first time 3 Irish-born players with the same surname have started a game at that level or higher.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 1:13am
Great question - Daryl Murphy, Paul Murphy, and Brian Murphy all started in Ipswich's 1-0 win against S****horpe in a Championship game in March 2010
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/8558495.stm" rel="nofollow - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/8558495.stm
This was only three weeks after the same players had started in the reverse fixture in February 2010
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/8528139.stm" rel="nofollow - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/8528139.stm

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 08 May 2021 at 5:22pm
Played CB today as part of a back three, and Tranmere are in the play offs.

Posted By: EastcoastUSA
Date Posted: 10 May 2021 at 1:16am
in general this season seems to have been very positive for Lee. Has played a lot of games. 
He obviously has footballing ability, composure and reads the game well so to me the most important thing this year was that he has been exposed to the physicality of lower league football and performed well week in week out. I think playing in a back 3 or else holding midfielder will ultimately be where he makes his mark but I think that will be in the championship and not with Celtic. 

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 7:04pm
Started RFB for Tranmere in the first leg of their playoff versus Morecambe.
Doing grand...open game and they are 2-1 down.

Date Posted: 20 May 2021 at 8:04pm
That bout of whinging to the ref and linesman was pretty pathetic from him considering he instigated the incident by running in from 20 yards away to shove the other lad.

He still looks too lightweight for senior football to me. Needs a summer in the gym, if they even have one at Lennoxtown (if they do they must have have never told Duffy where it was).

Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 1:36pm
Taken off at half time in the second leg. Tranmere look like they're going out. Gave one of the Morecambe attackers a free header in the build up to their goal, just completely backed out of the challenge and 5 seconds later the ball was in the net. Doesn't seem to have the fight in him for senior football at all, doesn't want to know when it comes to the physical stuff.

Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Taken off at half time in the second leg. Tranmere look like they're going out. Gave one of the Morecambe attackers a free header in the build up to their goal, just completely backed out of the challenge and 5 seconds later the ball was in the net. Doesn't seem to have the fight in him for senior football at all, doesn't want to know when it comes to the physical stuff.

Did you see Scully was whipped at half time yesterday too? I just didn't see you post about it in his thread. Your last posts there were about senior call ups. 

Date Posted: 23 May 2021 at 2:36pm
Scully has had a great season for Lincoln playing a division above O'Connor - 25 goalscoring contributions (16 goals and 9 assists).

Not judging O'Connor on goalscoring contributions as a defender obviously but he hasn't looked up to the standard of League 2 in general for the most part. Occasional glimpses that there's a player there, and he's certainly technically capable as he has shown at underage. But he has followed up a poor loan spell at Partick with an unconvincing one at Tranmere.

It's night and day between the two of them.

Hard to know where O'Connor goes from here at club level. Unlikely to be within a mile of the Celtic first team. Falls into that category of not good enough for the better divisions and not physical enough for the lower divisions. Also just doesn't look a good enough right back. Would be better focusing on playing as a defensive central midfielder I think. His better performances seem to have been in that position.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 5:25pm
Awarded Man of the Match last night. Seems to be going great guns in central midfield ATM.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 5:33pm
Yep have thought for a while that, if he is going to come good, it will be in central midfield, not right back. He just doesn't get up and down the pitch enough for a modern day full back whereas his tidy use of possession and defensive abilities suit the role of a holding midfield player. There might be hope for him yet if he focuses on that position from now on.

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 6:18pm
I was going to say he's not related to a modern day full back and I'm saying that only having seen him place once at RB for Tranmere. Know him from his time at Man Utd as a Utd fan I always had him down as a Daley Blind type ball playing sitting CM/CB. Hasn't the pace for the modern RB

Nice to see him get such positive reviews if he keeps it up hopefully he might manufacture a League 1 move back at Tranmere or another club next season. He has a bit of potential in that CM position.

Posted By: greenshoots
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 6:18pm
yeah a couple of people pointed out that holding CM could be a role for him. Long way to go in that regard but if he can keep his spot with Tranmere for the rest of the season, at least it gives him a way out of Celtic if they dont fancy him in the summer.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 11:28am
Signs a permanent deal with Tranmere. Glad to see him get out of Celtic.

https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/2022/january/lee-oconnor-signs-permanent-contract/" rel="nofollow - https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/2022/january/lee-oconnor-signs-permanent-contract/

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 11:32am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/2022/january/lee-oconnor-signs-permanent-contract/" rel="nofollow - https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/2022/january/lee-oconnor-signs-permanent-contract/

Good news.
Wonder if he'll still be deployed as a FB in our 21's for the rest of this campaign (his last at this level) or if he'll be competition for Kilkenny or Coventry in one of those midfield berths?

Posted By: SC92
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 11:51am
Good move for him, he's still young and if he impresses he can move up the levels.

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Good news.
Wonder if he'll still be deployed as a FB in our 21's for the rest of this campaign (his last at this level) or if he'll be competition for Kilkenny or Coventry in one of those midfield berths?

I hope he isn't first choice RB would much rather be watching Ebosele get minutes. Think we have much better CMs too... he could he there as a utility player as he is experiencd though.

Posted By: Heimatklange
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Good move for him, he's still young and if he impresses he can move up the levels.

Good news.

I hope he isn't first choice RB would much rather be watching Ebosele get minutes. Think we have much better CMs too... he could he there as a utility player as he is experiencd though.
Festy is playing 2 levels higher than O Connor and could be a huge player for us. its a complete no brainer to give him the nod going forward. 

Posted By: ChesterCopperpot
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 12:18pm
Good to see he got out of Celtic after seemingly not being given much opportunity, but a move to League 2 for one of Ireland's highly rated U21's doesn't instill confidence. Hopefully it works out for him

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 12:26pm
The Tranmere manager referred to himself as a midfielder/right back so presumably he sees his first as a midfielder.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

Good to see he got out of Celtic after seemingly not being given much opportunity, but a move to League 2 for one of Ireland's highly rated U21's doesn't instill confidence. Hopefully it works out for him

True enough but it has to be a positive now he is with a team where he plays weekly.
They are also loooking good for a promotion push so a decent chance he'll be in L1 next season where he can test himself further.
Slow and steady progress if it happens and has to be a positive considing his career had tanked in Glasgow.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 12:50pm

Good news.

Festy can also play higher up the pitch on the wing too. Would rather see him at RW over the other wingers we've got or sticking a midfielder out there like Crawford has often done.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 8:46pm
Good to see them back him with a permanent signing. The move to centre mid could be the making of him, he's just not a good enough right back unfortunately. But his career looks to be in a much better place now than it was 6 or 12 months ago.

Lee went a very traditional route in terms of the clubs he joined as a young player - Man United and Celtic. Would probably have been the way to go for a developing Irish player in the 80s but these days the better moves tend to be to the likes of Stoke, Derby etc - "big clubs" but ones where first team chances are more gettable for younger players.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Good news.

Festy can also play higher up the pitch on the wing too. Would rather see him at RW over the other wingers we've got or sticking a midfielder out there like Crawford has often done.

I would like to see the 21s play with wingbacks in a similar formation to the senior team. So Festy as RWB for me and we have a few decent LWB prospects, also have decent options at midfield and striker ... our wingers prospects aren't really great so 352/3412 for me.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 8:08pm
Some great midfield play in the lead up to Tranmere's goal vs Newcastle there.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Loc
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 8:10pm

Some great midfield play in the lead up to Tranmere's goal vs Newcastle there.

I was just coming here to say the same thing. Great ball.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 8:13pm
https://mobile.twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1562517678761607168" rel="nofollow - https://mobile.twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1562517678761607168

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 8:58pm
Gorgeous ball. Lovely weight, perfect pace and directed beautifully to allow his teammate to bend his run centrally. Good man Lee. 

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 11:22pm
feel like he is too good for league two, but i guess its good he is playing regularly. only just turned 22

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 12:01am
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

feel like he is too good for league two, but i guess its good he is playing regularly. only just turned 22

Yeah have liked the look of him whenever Ive seen him play but he has looked a far better player since stepping into midfield with Tranmere. Has a good range of passing and an eye to pick them out. Looks more than capable of playing at a level or two higher than he is currently. Suppose hes unlucky not to be after losing out in the playoffs last year.

Posted By: Loc
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 7:47am

Donā€™t think he started for them at weekend. Brought on at HT because they were losing and kept his place.

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Loc Loc wrote:

Donā€™t think he started for them at weekend. Brought on at HT because they were losing and kept his place.

He'd missed their two previous games with a knock I'd assume.

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 12:00pm
He looked good last night. Energetic, combative, and never panicked in possession. He might never be a starter for us but he could be a great utility man - I'd back him to do a good job in any of midfield/wing-back/full-back/back 3.  You need guys like that in a squad.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 12:20pm
Agree, think he'll make a handy utility player in time. Kind of a jack of all trades master of none in the sense he might not get to a level to be a starter for us but good enough to be back up and cover multiple positions. Even be the 24th or 25th man in squads.

Posted By: smart man
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 11:37am
Was at Man U and Celtic big things were expected from the the Waterford man. Two steps back one step forward maybe its finally happening for him. Still only young 

-------------
alive and kicking

Posted By: Technical_method
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by smart man smart man wrote:

Was at Man U and Celtic big things were expected from the the Waterford man. Two steps back one step forward maybe its finally happening for him. Still only young 

Hes a good player but as a young lad was a slightly small skinny lad, however he's started to grow a bit and looks stronger. 

Hes just turned 22 a few weeks back, needs to lock down his position, he's playing either a defensive midfielder or a right back. I'd say his best position is right back. 

Posted By: giveittochristie
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Technical_method Technical_method wrote:

Originally posted by smart man smart man wrote:

Hes a good player but as a young lad was a slightly small skinny lad, however he's started to grow a bit and looks stronger. 

Hes just turned 22 a few weeks back, needs to lock down his position, he's playing either a defensive midfielder or a right back. I'd say his best position is right back. 

Too slow as a right back in my opinion, it even stands out at u21 level. Has a lot of ability though, would be a shame if he didnā€™t make it (properly) as a senior international

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 12:34pm
I can't see him ever being a top level right back. He just doesn't get up and down the pitch enough. He probably won't be a top level DM either but if he's going to forge a decent career in the game that's likely the position he should focus on. Could be a late developer but, being a squad player at Tranmere at 22, he has a lot of ground to make up.

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 1:27pm

He looks to be a useful player likely to have a decent career in the UK. He probably wonā€™t be international class but thereā€™s no shame in that. If he can become a L1 level regular in future then that is good going. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 1:31pm

He looks to be a useful player likely to have a decent career in the UK. He probably wonā€™t be international class but thereā€™s no shame in that. If he can become a L1 level regular in future then that is good going. 

Looked right at home on his senior debut almost 3 years ago at only 19, put in a quality ball to assist Robinson for his goal. I wouldn't dismiss him because of a poor career choices, plenty of time to make the grade.

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Looked right at home on his senior debut almost 3 years ago at only 19, put in a quality ball to assist Robinson for his goal. I wouldn't dismiss him because of a poor career choices, plenty of time to make the grade.

I would agree with that. Also, there is plenty of time for him. We have been spoilt recently with players making their debut for us in their late teens and early 20s and becoming squad regulars. Not that long ago we were dependent on late developers (25-26 year olds) coming in to make their debut and win a place in the squad. 

Would like to see him develop as a defensive midfielder as that is where we will likely need cover. 

Players stock rise and fall. We could be having a very different conversation about O'Connor this time next year. 

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 1:46pm
I don't really rate him. Playing well at l2 level and looking okay at 22 years old at u21 International level isn't that impressive. Yes we have some late bloomers but they won't all make it even the ones who come through the United academy.

Lacks the athleticism to be a full back and I'm not convinced he will be better than any of our youth midfield prospects.

I might be wrong but seems like his future international prospects hopes lie in people respecting his former clubs. 

Posted By: Technical_method
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 2:16pm
Oconnor still plays for our u21s, he's playing first team men's football which is more than probably half our u21s squad. And I believe this is his 3rd men's football season? 

To say he's not got the potential to play top flight football is a little premature in my opinion 

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Technical_method Technical_method wrote:

Oconnor still plays for our u21s, he's playing first team men's football which is more than probably half our u21s squad. And I believe this is his 3rd men's football season? 

To say he's not got the potential to play top flight football is a little premature in my opinion 

You could be right. Hopefully he becomes a mainstay for our Senior team. Time is on his side. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 2:31pm
He's more likely to come back and play in Ireland than play in the Premier League at this point being honest. I think he will end up somewhere in between - a League 1 type who plays a few seasons in the Championship, but I don't know how people are seeing any more in him than that. Is it because he came through at Man United - which must have helped him into the Under 21 team ahead of McNamara give how their careers have gone since? Or based on the meaningless friendly he was capped in? 

Based on his efforts in competitive senior football he is a tidy, unspectacular lower division player and unless he kicks on massively at a later age than most, that seems to be where he will spend his career.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2024 at 10:30pm
Was at Tranmere today, played quite well and locals seemed to rate him. Needless to say League Two is way off the pace of international football though.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2024 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Was at Tranmere today, played quite well and locals seemed to rate him. Needless to say League Two is way off the pace of international football though.

Still only 23, plenty of time to make it. Lads like Egan, Stevnens, Hourihane were knocking around that level at that age before moving up the leagues and making their Ireland debuts in their mid to late 20s.

I've always been impressed by O'Connor didnt look out of place in the senior side when he played for us, shame he stalled his career by going up to Celtic and not getting a look in rather than a League One / Two club from go.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net