Print Page | Close Window

Puns - Yay or Nay

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: YouBoysInGreen Fanzine
Forum Name: Feedback/Ideas
Forum Description: Let us know what you think and any ideas?
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56148
Printed Date: 10 May 2024 at 10:32pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Puns - Yay or Nay
Posted By: deise316
Subject: Puns - Yay or Nay
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 11:42pm
Scientific poll here- think we'll go with GAA Congress rules for the craic, so 2/3rds majority* required to remove puns. 

*Unless Bertie gives us a grant of 80 million to help make up our minds one way or another. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Replies:
Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 11:50pm
Any idea why I can't vote in this so......

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 11:53pm
Think BSM is after using his Mod superpowers in order to prevent you from voting. This is a very serious subject, so maybe give SuperDave a shout and see can you get some class of injunction in order to allow you vote. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 11:59pm
Still can’t vote.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 12:03am
Aye

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 12:05am
What a farce with certain people being banned from voting
It’s pun-demonium

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 1:24am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

What a farce with certain people being banned from voting
It’s pun-demonium
your not a bollix afterall

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 1:31am
Yay yay yay yay and fck the unimaginative coonts that can’t comprehend what it’s all about, you know who you are ya pair of boring moaning gobshoites

-------------

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:36am
A load of bollix Bill.

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:41am
KTP

Keep the pun

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 9:47am

You can't have a poll with selective voting ffs LOL

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 10:47am

As stated in a separate thread, puns should only be allowed if original. What is currently happening is that the same 4/5 puns are reused and flogged to death. Richie Towell scores a goal and there is activity in his thread for the first time in a couple of weeks and people drag out the exact same sh1te they posted the last time he did something. It's brain dead stuff. 

"Oh I bet he can't wait to be on the  BEACH on his holidays" AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA

A two day suspension should be issued for anyone who repeats a pun that has featured on the last 5 pages of a thread. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 10:51am
The puns, when unoriginal, are only enjoyable because people get so irked by them. That is what makes them so enjoyable.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 10:51am

If my plan is instated then we can set up a confidential grass line where people can contact the Mods in a safe space to rat out other posters and have them banned. It will be like post WW2 East Germany. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 10:52am
MC speaketh the sense. That's the only issue I have with the puns.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 10:52am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

If my plan is instated then we can set up a confidential grass line where people can contact the Mods in a safe space to rat out other posters and have them banned. It will be like post WW2 East Germany. 

Touts Out!

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 10:53am

As stated in a separate thread, puns should only be allowed if original. What is currently happening is that the same 4/5 puns are reused and flogged to death. Richie Towell scores a goal and there is activity in his thread for the first time in a couple of weeks and people drag out the exact same sh1te they posted the last time he did something. It's brain dead stuff. 

"Oh I bet he can't wait to be on the  BEACH on his holidays" AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA

A two day suspension should be issued for anyone who repeats a pun that has featured on the last 5 pages of a thread. 

That's a classic in fairness LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 10:57am

Look, can we not just ban everyone? I'm mad to see a few posters getting banned.

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 11:15am

Look, can we not just ban everyone? I'm mad to see a few posters getting banned.

Everytime there's a conversation between two people we should a) label it a meltdown, b) talk about it in the current forum rivalries thread, and c) then ban that person, to make it more like the LOI forum with two new posts per week on it.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 11:18am
Kill everyone Nuke

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 11:29am

Everytime there's a conversation between two people we should a) label it a meltdown, b) talk about it in the current forum rivalries thread, and c) then ban that person, to make it more like the LOI forum with two new posts per week on it.

I'm thinking of an X factor style contest where people can nominate a few bad posts each day and from 9pm-10pm that night, there is a vote on the most unpopular post resulting in a one day ban for the perpetrator. 

We had a version of this around my way when we were in our early teens. On a Friday after school, everyone got together at the local green and we played a mass game of heads and volleys. The loser had to go home and wasn't allowed go to Wesley disco that night. It was a game with a real edge as that was your weekend totally ruined. Great craic for everyone else though. You can't bate a bit of mob rule to get the blood flowing. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 1:10pm
Any humorless coont who does not post at least 3 puns a day should be banned, and any whining coont fckin running to the mods at every turn should be named and shamed and fckin ridiculed like the little biatch that he is

-------------

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Any humorless coont who does not post at least 3 puns a day should be banned, and any whining coont fckin running to the mods at every turn should be named and shamed and fckin ridiculed like the little biatch that he is

Coming from the biggest keyboard warrior on the forum LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Simpleton 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 1:31pm
Wow look at all them smiley faces well that told me now jump

-------------

Posted By: Lostandfound
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 2:00pm
An X Factor style contest is a great idea and Richie Towell rhymes with Simon Cowell, so that's great as well.

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 3:14pm
If the forum doesnt sort itself out soon I am seriously gonna start talking to the missus again

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

If the forum doesnt sort itself out soon I am seriously gonna start talking to the missus again

LOL

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 12:08am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Think BSM is after using his Mod superpowers in order to prevent you from voting. This is a very serious subject, so maybe give SuperDave a shout and see can you get some class of injunction in order to allow you vote. 

Sure I can't vote in the poll either.

This is a sham and a farce and a sham.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 8:51am
Its a sham that the Richie Towells puns were removed from last night.
I was very proud of my "being hung out to dry" one

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 11:33am
I find it really sad the fact it appears some people are offended by puns used on an Internet forum regarding someones name.

Imagine being at the pub with these sad coonts. I’d be home by the time I’ve finished me drink

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 11:36am
I don't think anyone is offended but as has been said previously, it's the tedium and unoriginal nature of the posts which irk me.

To be honest, I avoid any threat that I know will be riddled with puns but it's unavoidable when lads turn someone's post on skiing or a gripe with their local postman into pun central.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 11:36am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I find it really sad the fact it appears some people are offended by puns used on an Internet forum regarding someones name.

Imagine being at the pub with these sad coonts. I’d be home by the time I’ve finished me drink

I'd be delighted to see the back of you if you were talking over everyone, reusing the same couple of unfunny unoriginal puns and ruining every conversation all evening.  

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 11:44am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

I don't think anyone is offended but as has been said previously, it's the tedium and unoriginal nature of the posts which irk me.

To be honest, I avoid any threat that I know will be riddled with puns but it's unavoidable when lads turn someone's post on skiing or a gripe with their local postman into pun central.

What about a vigilante style group who give out beatings to anyone who uses puns online?
Pun-ishment beatings if you like

The Pun IRA or Direct Action Against Puns?

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 11:47am

I'd be delighted to see the back of you if you were talking over everyone, reusing the same couple of unfunny unoriginal puns and ruining every conversation all evening.  

Tbh I don’t want even to see the front of you if you’re pissing your pants over a few jokes on an Internet forum when the rest of the forum has serious conversations going on.

Could put a tranquilzer to sleep the craic would be that boring

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 11:50am

As anybody who has spent more than a few minutes with me will know, I feel puns are a necessary form of conversation, but this constant misuse of the word offended on here is a tad irritating.
It would nearly be impossible for anyone to be offended by them, unless they are half fish, or maybe that towel from South Park.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 11:51am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

As anybody who has spent more than a few minutes with me will know, I feel puns are a necessary form of conversation, but this constant misuse of the word offended on here is a tad irritating.
It would nearly be impossible for anyone to be offended by them, unless they are half fish, or maybe that towel from South Park.

Towelie would be too high to care

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 12:04pm

Tbh I don’t want even to see the front of you if you’re pissing your pants over a few jokes on an Internet forum when the rest of the forum has serious conversations going on.

We on a different wavelengths here so we are unlikely to agree on this issue. I think the majority (not all) the puns are highly unoriginal and definitely not funny. You seem to think that they are great craic. 
You're the lucky one as you must be very easily amused. Good for you. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 12:17pm
Seems to be a MWAW snakeily removing posts

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 12:20pm

We on a different wavelengths here so we are unlikely to agree on this issue. I think the majority (not all) the puns are highly unoriginal and definitely not funny. You seem to think that they are great craic. 

I am very easily amused. I have never made a pun post on here but I enjoy reading them because it's a section where you just don't take anything seriously - The 2 threads in question are for someone who's been out the setup for a long time and will never come back and the other is playing League 1 football, depending where he ends up next season, things would change, I imagine if hes playing regular Championship football there will be alot more interest in him and thus more serious discussions. But at the current time atm he's playing League 1 football and the League 1 thread has about 4 people posting in it (probably alot more when Sunderland go down) so if our puns are interfering with your interest in him with aww I watch League 1 football every weekend, we know already to be very unlikely unless there's a club you associate yourself with in that league

Long story short - Posts are currently not interfering with any discussions in the 2 threads thus can be easily ignored, there's serious conversations in 99% of the other threads.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 12:23pm
Nail on the hammer there Coyne

-------------

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 1:18pm

I am very easily amused. I have never made a pun post on here but I enjoy reading them because it's a section where you just don't take anything seriously - The 2 threads in question are for someone who's been out the setup for a long time and will never come back and the other is playing League 1 football, depending where he ends up next season, things would change, I imagine if hes playing regular Championship football there will be alot more interest in him and thus more serious discussions. But at the current time atm he's playing League 1 football and the League 1 thread has about 4 people posting in it (probably alot more when Sunderland go down) so if our puns are interfering with your interest in him with aww I watch League 1 football every weekend, we know already to be very unlikely unless there's a club you associate yourself with in that league

Long story short - Posts are currently not interfering with any discussions in the 2 threads thus can be easily ignored, there's serious conversations in 99% of the other threads.

For my money he's the best player to come form loi in last 3 or so years which sets him apart from every other player in that league bar Forrester, who wants possibly the second best for my money, so it's different to how you say.

It's because people saw him themselves over years and remember how good he was that he is that we want to keep an eye on him, it's nothing to do with any interest in League One.

For those of us who have an interest in him, his career etc it's really frustrating that the thread is reduced to recycled puns, many times I've gone to post and actual post on there and not bothered.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 1:33pm
Cry me a fckin river, the extent some people are going too have puns fcked out is actually becoming fckin comical in its own way, wise up yis boring coonts ffs

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 1:46pm

Cry me a fckin river, the extent some people are going too have puns fcked out is actually becoming fckin comical in its own way, wise up yis boring coonts ffs

-------------

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 2:00pm
Going to set up a second thread so everyone gets what they want

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

A no pun thread on Towell? That'll be very dry

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 2:41pm

Disgraceful decision to create a separate segregated thread.  It's not what I want so your decision doesn't include me.  Locking threads and creating segregated threads shows a lack of tolerance from decision-makers.  You're not able to share the space with other users.  You want things to be pure that suit you.

I input regularly on the Conor Sammon thread, years ago when he was part of the Rep of Irl squad I posted sympathetic posts that didn't have puns because the punners were in the minority.  But as he was able to concentrate on his club career the punners were the majority and I too changed my style.  Like other contributors I still chronicled his career with info, links and vids but still using puns.
I didn't see puns as devaluing my contribution, just compliant with the environment.

If those resisting puns want to change the environment than they need to post until the punning posts are the minority.  If there are rude posts against them "Pun or GTFO" those posts can be removed and posters disciplined, no poster should feel unsafe when making a contribution.

Puns, like low-support, doesn't devalue the contribution.

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

Disgraceful decision to create a separate segregated thread.  It's not what I want so your decision doesn't include me.  Locking threads and creating segregated threads shows a lack of tolerance from decision-makers.  You're not able to share the space with other users.  You want things to be pure that suit you.

I input regularly on the Conor Sammon thread, years ago when he was part of the Rep of Irl squad I posted sympathetic posts that didn't have puns because the punners were in the minority.  But as he was able to concentrate on his club career the punners were the majority and I too changed my style.  Like other contributors I still chronicled his career with info, links and vids but still using puns.
I didn't see puns as devaluing my contribution, just compliant with the environment.

If those resisting puns want to change the environment than they need to post until the punning posts are the minority.  If there are rude posts against them "Pun or GTFO" those posts can be removed and posters disciplined, no poster should feel unsafe when making a contribution.

Solidarity brother, or sister.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 2:44pm

A 3 paragrapher Deise would be proud of

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 5:06pm
Will the result of this poll be legally binding? 

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Lostandfound Lostandfound wrote:

Will the result of this poll be legally binding? 

We'll need to call in Alan Judge to decide.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

#punequality2018

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 12:34pm
I think we need to come out with a Pun National front

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 1:34pm

I think we need to come out with a Pun National front

The YBIGPUNDITSFRONT

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 1:37pm
Popular Front for the Liberation of Puns

-------------

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:01pm
Cheers for the support, it's nice to know I'm not alone and there's a name for it.

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Popular Front for the Liberation of Puns

Monty Python troupe themselves provide a response "Something is actually happening!" from the same film. 

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 5:40pm
Image result for hans gruber

The following pun makers are to to be released from their captors:

In Northern Ireland the 7 members of the new Pun Front
In Canada the 5 imprisoned leaders of Liberte de Pun
In Sri Lanka the 9 members of the Asian Pun

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 5:52pm

Asian Pun ?

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 6:08pm
Image result for hans gruber

I read about them in Pun Magazine

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 6:12pm
I love how no one can vote but the poll just tips along

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 12:33pm
Bump.

Do we need to start having 2 threads for every player so TJ doesn't ruin them all?

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Bump.

Do we need to start having 2 threads for every player so TJ doesn't ruin them all?

Aww you ok hun? xxx  PM me

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 6:49am
So does the sneaky sly bastard of a mod who banned me for a few puns want to make himself know, the sad bastard Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 11:50am
Coward just like I thought

-------------

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 2:00pm
Pun enters a room and kills 10 people.

Pun in, ten dead.

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 2:32pm

So does the sneaky sly bastard of a mod who banned me for a few puns want to make himself know, the sad bastard Embarrassed

Whoever the mod is I think they are punderful

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 2:40pm

Coward just like I thought
Keep it up and there could be more PUNishment to come.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 2:53pm
You could end up in the dock

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 3:00pm
I worry about the state of democracy in Ireland. 

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 3:20pm
You’d be right to worry about it L&F, id have a punt on Leo declaring a doctatorship any day now.

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Pun enters a room and kills 10 people.

Pun in, ten dead.
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 9:16am
Some wonderful stuff there lads LOL

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:55pm
Saw a van in town earlier, DeWar plumbing. Immediately imagine this conversation:

Customer: thanks for fixing that leak, I'll recommend you to all my friends and family
Plumber: ah no, don't do that
Customer: why not?
Plumber: do I have to say it
Customer: say what?
Plumber: ...
Customer: ...

Plumber: don't mention DeWar

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net