Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56135
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 9:40am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Annual Leave increments in the job
Posted By: McG
Subject: Annual Leave increments in the job
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 9:21am
Anybody work in an industry where there is a system in place to give staff annual leave increments when they hit milestones? 23 days after 5 years and so on?

If so, can you divulge the industry or even better, pm me with specifics?

Working on a proposal in work (Retail and Manufacturing) so need specifics. 

Thanks. 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Replies:
Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 9:37am
working in finance. it's company specific, but if you've a year of service (strict on being with the company from 1st jan) then you get an extra day for the next year. can obviously only be a certain amount of additional days, not sure what this is restricted to. I'd done three full years and gone from 22 to 25
a lad had start on 3rd jan and didn't get the increment for the following year. same with bonuses, if not in the company on 1st sept then you are not included in the pot.

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 9:42am
Up to 2 years ago I worked in the construction industry. With my previous employer you received 1 additional days leave for every 5 years of continuous service. I was there 9 years and received 1 additional day in that period. Now that I work in the civil service I no longer receive that particular "benefit" in any shape of form.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 9:46am
Working in Finance

23 days is the standard
2 additional days for 3 completed years of service at the start of the year
1 extra after 5 years
2 extra after 10 years

Get an extra day when you become an officer in the company

And recently introduced you can buy up to 5 additional days

-------------

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 9:49am
PM sent

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 9:53am
Work in Local Government in the 6 counties

23 days standard leave on top of Bank and Public Holidays
28 days standard leave after 5 years
Think it then goes up to 30 or more after 10 years.

Pretty generous

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 9:56am
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Pretty generous
Not as good as down here.

You can come in late every Monday and finish at 1pm every Friday.

And the bit in between you don't actually fcuking do anything.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:10am
Work in the FMCG sector. I'm sure this is company specific, we get an extra days for every 5 years service. They calculate this on a full calendar year so if you started midway through January, you'd essentially have to work an extra year to get your extra day off.  

Leave is 20 days standard. I'm in here 12 years so I'm on 22 days. 

We can also take a days hols if we work 8 hours overtime in the previous quarter so that bumps me up to 26 days

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:42am
Sales for a PLC
We started on 25 days (newbies only get 22).
After 20 years you get an extra 5 days.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Pretty generous

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 11:14am

Pretty generous

Not quite true, you have core hours you have to be in, mine are 10-12.30 and 2.30-4,they're different in others councils, around that you can work whatever hours you want as long as you work your 37 hours in a week.

30 days annual leave and 13 flexi days though😎

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 11:25am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Pretty generous

Not quite true, you have core hours you have to be in, mine are 10-12.30 and 2.30-4,they're different in others councils, around that you can work whatever hours you want as long as you work your 37 hours in a week.

What are the flexi days?

I've a friend who works for the government and he has the work hours you mention above but they also have this "sick policy".
They are allowed 2 sick days a month so if they dont actually need them they just take 2 extra days holidays .... all off the record!

-------------

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 11:27am
It is based on pay grade mainly here. The higher your grade the more annual leave you get

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Jackson denied having sex with her. However the victem went to the hospital and got checked out and she had a small tear in her vagina or something like that.
Would they have captured DNA since it was an alleged rape?
I think that would count as a sick day.

LOL

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Up to 2 years ago I worked in the construction industry. With my previous employer you received 1 additional days leave for every 5 years of continuous service. I was there 9 years and received 1 additional day in that period. Now that I work in the civil service I no longer receive that particular "benefit" in any shape of form.

When I started the Civil Service we had 25 annual days leave after 5 years service that went up to 30.

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

When I started the Civil Service we had 25 annual days leave after 5 years service that went up to 30.

Ah I'm in the British Civil Service. 30 days holiday & Flexi working. Can carry over days should you not use up your allowance but there's no mechanism to increase your annual leave allowance.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 12:35pm
Work in manufacturing.20 days plus bank hold. No sick leave and have been here 11 years, pay has actually decreased by 10% as we don’t make money apparently. Private sector, that’s the life!

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 12:47pm
I get 20 days + bank holiday, 10 paid sick days.

You get an extra day after 5 years, 2 after 7, 3 after 10, 4 after 12 and 5 after 15years, that's when it's capped.

When I lived in Vancouver, my first job you got 10 days holidays and they took 2 off you for them closing the office on Christmas eve and NYE, so you had 8 for the year, couldn't even take 2 weeks off, no paid sick leave.

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Pretty generous

What are the flexi days?

I've a friend who works for the government and he has the work hours you mention above but they also have this "sick policy".
They are allowed 2 sick days a month so if they dont actually need them they just take 2 extra days holidays .... all off the record!

If you work up an extra 7.5 hours in a month you can take a day off, it's effectively instead of paying overtime

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:21pm
My missus works in one of those new age fancy tech companies and they get unlimited paid time off

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

You get an extra day after 5 years, 2 after 7, 3 after 10, 4 after 12 and 5 after 15years, that's when it's capped.

When I lived in Vancouver, my first job you got 10 days holidays and they took 2 off you for them closing the office on Christmas eve and NYE, so you had 8 for the year, couldn't even take 2 weeks off, no paid sick leave.

American holidays seem to be along the same lines.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:37pm
Work in engineering/manufacturing

Get 20 days plus public holidays
Service days are then awarded, so for every 5 years you get an extra day up to max of 3 days, this only came in last year after pressure from the union

You also get days in lieu if you have to travel at weekends

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:45pm

Pretty generous

What are the flexi days?

Flexi Days are days off work in lieu of time previously worked. In the Irish CS, its possible to have 19.5 days off if you work the hours in advance. You are allowed to take 1.5 days off in any four week period provided you have worked the additional hours in the previous four week period. Over the year you are working the same number of hours.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:59pm
Where I'm working we get 1 day extra leave after 5,10,12,14 year's service. Start off on 23 days.

Also overtime is available for a few months of the year and you can take pay or be given the OT hours to build up time off.

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 2:14pm

What sector is this Bhob? 

Also, have to laugh at the 10 paid sick days. So Irish. Im sure most have integrity but almost telling people to be sick. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Also, have to laugh at the 10 paid sick days. So Irish. Im sure most have integrity but almost telling people to be sick. 

Shipping and Transport

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 2:36pm
Self employed... work a lot of hours but take just as much holidays . pros and cons to it but happy out

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 3:28pm

7 paid sick days where I am. Basically told never go over 7 and you will be OK

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 4:00pm
I Just started in a new job in engineering in December (in the UK). Start off on 20 days for he first year. Goes to 25 in the second and then it's plus 1 day a year up until 30 days off. Not bad but only 20 days this year is a bit rubbish.

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Pretty generous

What are the flexi days?

Flexi Days are days off work in lieu of time previously worked. In the Irish CS, its possible to have 19.5 days off if you work the hours in advance. You are allowed to take 1.5 days off in any four week period provided you have worked the additional hours in the previous four week period. Over the year you are working the same number of hours.

In the NICS we can take 3 flexi days in any four week period and can even take flexi if our flexi is in the minus, as long as it doesn't go below -14.50 by the end of the 4 week period.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 4:26pm
22 standard
10 paid uncertified sick days
Benefit pool that is about 6% of salary that can used towards different benefit options which includes additional days options:
Can buy up to 5 additional unpaid leave under 5 year employment.
Can buy up to 10 addional unpaid leave if more than 5 years employment .

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 4:53pm
https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/ni-hotel-group-pay-george-11447008" rel="nofollow - https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/ni-hotel-group-pay-george-11447008

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 5:26pm
I work in the civil service and for anyone with less that five years it's twenty two days.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

I work in the civil service and for anyone with less that five years it's twenty two days.
Is that 22 days off or working?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 6:03pm
Work in the insurance industry.

I get 25 days standard and the ability to buy 5 more per annum.

An additional standard holiday is given after 5 years service

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

I Just started in a new job in engineering in December (in the UK). Start off on 20 days for he first year. Goes to 25 in the second and then it's plus 1 day a year up until 30 days off. Not bad but only 20 days this year is a bit rubbish.

Well there's no World Cup to worry about I suppose Cry

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Is that a common occurrence in some jobs. Being able to buy extra annual leave?
Is it different from having an arrangement for unpaid leave?

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:14pm
Self employed myself, I work off the Irish Horse Racing Fixture Calendar so it's great to have your year mapped out location wise but the downside is that if I'm sick and can't go to work = no wages. 

Long term plan is to get into the head office in HRI so I'll have a far more regular working career. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

We have it in mine but it's part of a benefits option. SoI have x amount in benefits pool. I can choose to receive it as taxable income or I can use it on buying things at source like days off, pension, health etc.

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Self employed myself, I work off the Irish Horse Racing Fixture Calendar so it's great to have your year mapped out location wise but the downside is that if I'm sick and can't go to work = no wages. 

Long term plan is to get into the head office in HRI so I'll have a far more regular working career. 
Maybe if you manage to get that job you might be able to make the new stand in Naas racecourse accessible to everyone! Unfortunately the upstairs part of this new building is for owners and trainers yet of course the Irish taxpayer paid for it

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:56pm

My company only introduced it in the last few years but it seems to becoming more popular with the whole worklife balance drive.

Essentially it’s the same as unpaid leave as it’s calculated on a day rate.

Say if your salary is €110K and you are expected to work 220 days a year.
You pay €500 for each extra day off.

-------------

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Maybe if you manage to get that job you might be able to make the new stand in Naas racecourse accessible to everyone! Unfortunately the upstairs part of this new building is for owners and trainers yet of course the Irish taxpayer paid for it

Sure let me know some day you're going up an I'll try get you a pass or two! LOL

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 11:44pm

Sure let me know some day you're going up an I'll try get you a pass or two! LOL
Good man! It looks very impressive alright! The last day in Naas they were allowing the general public up after racing for a look but people do be gone as soon as the bumper is over this time of year! The new viewing platform looks a great place to watch a finish as it's practically on the winning line

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 11:58pm

Now working a 4 on 4 off roster 12 hour shifts
Year 1-7 is 21 days leave
Years 7-14 22 days
Years 14+ is 23 days. Cirrently capped at 23. Work a BH get an extra day
Sick pay of 20 days in a rolling 12 month period with first 3 days of absence unpaid. So you cant take a sicky on a Monday and get paid.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 9:08am

Good man! It looks very impressive alright! The last day in Naas they were allowing the general public up after racing for a look but people do be gone as soon as the bumper is over this time of year! The new viewing platform looks a great place to watch a finish as it's practically on the winning line

Oi, get out of my thread with your sh1te talk. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 1:20pm
Any more lads?

Really handy if i could get a few more ideas. Thanks. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 8:20am
Anyone who uses uncertified leave as annual leave is basically ruining their career IMO. If you are sick you are sick and should have a cert from your doctor.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 9:01pm
Random question if you take volunteer redundancy from a company is there any legal reasons you can't start a new job straight away or must you wait a certain amount of time

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 9:05pm
You been gearboxed chief?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 9:13pm
No reason, depending on your current contract of course. Even non-compete clauses might be a restraint of trade. Also, plenty of companies will put you on gardening leave if you give notice and intend to leave for a rival, but if they are making you voluntarily redundant, I don't see why you can't take the cash then start a new job straight away.... but it does depend on the terms of your contract.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 9:33pm
Nope just wondering really

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 9:37am
How will these snow days affect people?
Think I heard that some people have to use them as holiday days, or if you're not in you're not getting paid. Now that would be sh*t.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 9:55am
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

How will these snow days affect people?
Think I heard that some people have to use them as holiday days, or if you're not in you're not getting paid. Now that would be sh*t.

We finished up @ 11.30 on Wednesday. Anyone that came in will be paid in full, those that didn’t won’t.
We still haven’t reopened & all permanent staff rostered will be paid while we’re closed.
Contract staff I think are in different situation

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 10:33am
McG I work in Finance for a US Multinational - 25 annual leave days. Not sure if they increase as your service builds up or not

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 11:03am
We have the option of not getting paid or paying the time back at 8 hours a week, nice of them.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 7:45pm
With the storm the last few days we were told if we missed work we would have to work back the hours. I missed three days so have to work back 22 hours.

Went back to work today and we were told we have until the 30th March to work the hours back BUT the only days we can work the extra hours back are two Friday afternoons of their choice (we normally finish at 12.30 Fridays) and the two Saturdays directly after them. As it happens those two Saturdays I have plans and can't make it in. I was told tough luck. They'll be taking annual leave instead.

I've offered to work up the hours by coming in early most days yet they've turned their nose at it. Surely they can't do that given the circumstances?

Should add I'm not the only one in this boat at work. Plenty more not happy about the situation

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

With the storm the last few days we were told if we missed work we would have to work back the hours. I missed three days so have to work back 22 hours.

Went back to work today and we were told we have until the 30th March to work the hours back BUT the only days we can work the extra hours back are two Friday afternoons of their choice (we normally finish at 12.30 Fridays) and the two Saturdays directly after them. As it happens those two Saturdays I have plans and can't make it in. I was told tough luck. They'll be taking annual leave instead.

I've offered to work up the hours by coming in early most days yet they've turned their nose at it. Surely they can't do that given the circumstances?

Should add I'm not the only one in this boat at work. Plenty more not happy about the situation

f**king hell it sounds like that place does not give much consideration for their staff. It seems petty.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:24pm
Read your contract, bound to be some provision in there for what they are doing.its is very sh*tty of them all the same.

If it's any consolation I was back today and they have just put in full days for the 3 day we were off No taking our leave or repaying hours.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:30pm
Same boat as Sham really , as on the table our company gave us either take it as holidays , not to be paid for the two days we were off or work it back in overtime . 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:34pm
From what I can see there is serious mud slinging going on by various employers over peoples efforts to make it to work. Friday was a write off but concerning Wednesday and Thursday.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:37pm
I don't mind having to work back the hours at all and to a lesser extent I even understand putting a deadline to work the hours back or lose the hours as Annual Leave.

I'm baffled at the forcing us to work particular days especially when they are normally so good for letting us work up hours for other matters.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:48pm

I don't mind having to work back the hours at all and to a lesser extent I even understand putting a deadline to work the hours back or lose the hours as Annual Leave.

I'm baffled at the forcing us to work particular days especially when they are normally so good for letting us work up hours for other matters.

Why such a short period of time to work it back?
April 30th would be a lot easier done plenty of Fridays before then. With Paddy's weekend and Easter it's leaving things tight.

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:52pm
I take it some of the lads here getting shafted are union free employment ?

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

No union where I am alright. Shame because no hope they'd try pull this stunt if there was.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 11:54pm

No union where I am alright. Shame because no hope they'd try pull this stunt if there was.
I made it to work myself as did others, but of course thre were others that didnt. We were offered a hotel room on Wednesday ahead of our block of nights starting so we would be beside the job. I didnt take up the offer initially but ended up staying on Sathrday after my night shift. Our place is unionised and Ive heard that they will pay those who didnt turn up but those that did turn in will be rewarded either with an extra days leave or gift card. Not confirmed yet though.

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 12:03am

Yeah unfortunately a lot of businesses now are not union friendly which in turn gives the management a very strong hand when dealing with staff on many different issues and also the terms of employment which they draw up

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Posted By: daboi89
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 5:57am
Getting Paid for the shifts we were stood down cos the site was closed

Crossrail

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:29am

We were sent home at 1pm on the Wed and told we would be closed on Friday.

Thursday half of us turned up, I was actually 30 mins early as there was no traffic.
I was back home by 9am !!

The company will not be deducting pay or holidays and we do not have to work back the hours.

Its been hinted that its been noted who didn't make an effort to turn up on the Thurs excluding those who live in Kildare.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:30am
PS If your job was closed on Friday it is NOT your fault and you should not be punished. 

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:47am
Wednesday, anyone who came in (even late) will be paid in full.
anyone who did not come in or leave early will not be paid/paid in full

Thursday and Friday we were told to stay at home and everyone is getting paid

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Wednesday, anyone who came in (even late) will be paid in full.
anyone who did not come in or leave early will not be paid/paid in full

Thursday and Friday we were told to stay at home and everyone is getting paid

Yeah, this would be my situation too

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 11:21am

Same as you sham Angry

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 12:04pm

PS If your job was closed on Friday it is NOT your fault and you should not be punished. 

I was told it all depends on your contract. Everywhere will be different.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 12:44pm

I was told it all depends on your contract. Everywhere will be different.
Force Majeure ?

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 5:53pm
This query is more to do with sick leave.

I work in finance and have gotten a doctor/cert to state I'm unable to work for 2 weeks. (9 working days due to bank holiday) I tore a calf muscle and have to keep it rested, elevated, iced etc I'm currently back home on the other side of the country so both the gp and doctor in the hospital told me notto travel.

Work are now advising after 7 consecutive days out  to ask my doctor for some social welfare cert. 

Does this mean work won't pay me sick leave after  7 days or welfare pay some of it? I was just made perm back in May and expect work to pay me as I've provided my cert.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 6:34pm
Depends whats in your contract. 
Some employers pay your full wage while out sick and others give you nothing.
Either way just ask your GP for a social welfare sick cert.They will know exactly what you need.
If work pay you they will want to be reimbursed by Social Welfare for the amount of illness benefit paid out,you must be getting paid from them as I doubt they'd be chasing you otherwise.

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 7:32pm
You're taking 2 weeks off an office job for a torn calf? Jesus f**king christ id sack ye now.

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 7:57pm
AM LOL

About 2 years ago i smashed my head open, ended up getting 13 stitches in my forehead and took 4 days off. 2 weeks for a torn calf muscle seems excessive 

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

You're taking 2 weeks off an office job for a torn calf? Jesus f**king christ id sack ye now.

LOL

I agree.

I was back in work 2 days after knee surgery

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:07pm
Can you not work from home?
Work remotely?
Surely a bit of laptop work?

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

LOL

I agree.

I had open heart surgery in the morning and was back at work in the afternoon FFS. 2 weeks for a sore leg

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

LOL

I agree.

I had open heart surgery in the morning and was back at work in the afternoon FFS. 2 weeks for a sore leg

Clap

Impressive sir

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I work in finance and have gotten a doctor/cert to state I'm unable to work for 2 weeks. (9 working days due to bank holiday) I tore a calf muscle and have to keep it rested, elevated, iced etc I'm currently back home on the other side of the country so both the gp and doctor in the hospital told me notto travel.

Work are now advising after 7 consecutive days out  to ask my doctor for some social welfare cert. 

Does this mean work won't pay me sick leave after  7 days or welfare pay some of it? I was just made perm back in May and expect work to pay me as I've provided my cert.

That's pretty common, just means welfare pay you instead of the employer , stops companies having to pay massive amounts for people who are long term sick 

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 2:15am

That's pretty common, just means welfare pay you instead of the employer , stops companies having to pay massive amounts for people who are long term sick 
Illness benefit takes a good number of weeks to be paid though.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 1:23pm

If this happened before you were made permanent, I'd bet you would have hobbled around the office for those 2 weeks.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 1:34pm
Whether he would have or not, what the f**k has that got to do with anything?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

If this happened before you were made permanent, I'd bet you would have hobbled around the office for those 2 weeks.

Ya says more about personal attitude than anything. If it was a critical organ different story

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 1:54pm
f**k sake...had a broken leg (fibula) for 3 months before i got it checked. Man the fcuk up muff and go to your work.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 1:57pm

Sure some of these lads would go into work the day after they died .

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 2:06pm

'tis bizarre alright! I'd say something if he worked for a small operation or something, but lads expecting him to ignore medical advice for a f**king office job?

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 2:14pm

'tis bizarre alright! I'd say something if he worked for a small operation or something, but lads expecting him to ignore medical advice for a f**king office job?

Duke & Duke appreciate the lads who crawl into work.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 3:19pm
going back to work on Monday after being off work for 6 weeks and 2 days off with a broken collar bone.

Bored out of me tits sitting at home, good job it's an office job or I'd be off for another 2 weeks!

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 3:27pm
Len Gaynor said the other night on the hurling programme "The Game" That back in his time playing there was no easy jobs like today and he mentioned office jobs! He's dead right! 

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 3:57pm

LOL

I didn't even ask for it. Doctor just wrote the note to say I require 2 weeks off work. I'm on the other side of the country so can't travel with a heavy bag and crutches on public transport. Have to keep the leg elevated. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 4:07pm

First of all I've never claimed sick leave in my life. I have no idea what I am or amen't entitled to irrespective of being made permanent or not.

I can't travel 200 miles on a pair of crutches with a heavy bag and how am I supposed to keep my leg elevated, iced and in the one position when I'm working in a busy office. Do I take taxis in and out of work at 20 quid per trip?

I've never torn a muscle or been on crutches in my life and I'm assuming I'll aggravate it more if I ignore what the doctor says. As I stated I never asked for 2 weeks off but I know I can't travel at the moment up to Dublin. 

I'm going to the states at the end of September so  I don't want to prolong the injury as I'm not travelling with crutches over there.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 4:43pm

First of all I've never claimed sick leave in my life. I have no idea what I am or amen't entitled to irrespective of being made permanent or not.

I can't travel 200 miles on a pair of crutches with a heavy bag and how am I supposed to keep my leg elevated, iced and in the one position when I'm working in a busy office. Do I take taxis in and out of work at 20 quid per trip?

I've never torn a muscle or been on crutches in my life and I'm assuming I'll aggravate it more if I ignore what the doctor says. As I stated I never asked for 2 weeks off but I know I can't travel at the moment up to Dublin. 

I'm going to the states at the end of September so  I don't want to prolong the injury as I'm not travelling with crutches over there.

firstly.... what washing powder does your oul wan use?
Grown man back and forth to mammys..f**k me dead.

Secondly, arrange some **** to-taxi you instead of milking the system you lazy no good waster

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 5:09pm

I see pisstakers all the time in my place. Great attendance record while on probation then as soon as that is up, they've more feckin ailments than a plane to Lourdes.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 5:25pm

Some other poor sap has to pick up the slack when people are out sick. As someone else said, it is about personal attitude. A colleague of mine died last year after a long battle. She used to bring oxygen canisters in to the office. Another colleague wouldn't bother her hole to open her laptop for 2 weeks because the doctor had signed her off work with a bad back.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 5:41pm
Maybe if she had taken the sick leave she was entitled to she might still be with us.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 5:51pm

Maybe if she had taken the sick leave she was entitled to she might still be with us.

Twat.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net