Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56101
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 4:11am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Irish Based Supporters of UK Football Clubs
Posted By: Green Devil
Subject: Irish Based Supporters of UK Football Clubs
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 7:29pm
Just wondering how many matches per season would you roughly attend of the club you support in England/Scotland? How many home/away games you attend following Ireland is not relevant to the question even though I'm fully aware some lads put country before club in terms of trips Big smile

I usually do between 3 to 4 Sunderland matches per season myself (hoping to make it about 5 or 6 by May)

Personally speaking I just find it odd how a good few of my friends claim to be "diehard" supporters of a club but have either never been to see their team play or maybe only once. Look we all make sacrifices for whatever reason of course, but these lads could definitely afford a few day trips a season no doubt about it.

***No this isn't a dick measuring contest that makes one person a bigger supporter than anyone else***

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Replies:
Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 7:49pm
Good question GD
Maybe stick up a poll with some options.

I’m based in London so don’t count.
People I know from home are more likely to go to Celtic a few times a season. I know a guy who is a season ticket holder and goes to most games.
The Man U/Liverpool’s die hard fans I know would maybe go once every few years.

-------------

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 8:08pm
Before I moved over here, I was only in my first year out of Uni and went to three homes.
Know some friends who go around once a year - Know plenty of barstoolers who have never been

Posted By: OTH
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 8:22pm
Did 42 of 46 Millwall league games from Dublin back in 2013/14 season (nearly killed me)and about 30 the following year.

Get over to about 10 games a season now mostly aways.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 8:36pm
Used to go to 5/6 a season. Now in Manchester I went to around 10 Saints games last season, all away bar one but have only made one this season with work. Go to a lot of random games when I get the time to get my fix though

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 8:46pm
Back when I had a good job I had two season tickets at Old Trafford. In Fergies last season I did something like 21 games all in that included a couple of away ties too. Was only over once last season and sadly will doubt il get over this season but hoping to do 5/6 next season

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 8:50pm
Living in London so don't count either. But have been to Arsenal 6 or so times since moving here since 2011. Haven't been this season as it just got sickening watching those overpaid bolloxes not giving a sh*t.

Much prefer to watch Brentford play. Griffin Park is a nice little ground, a few Irish lads at the club and the team play attractive football. Roughly £22 for any seat (or terrace) in the ground.

Heading to Craven Cottage in a few weeks when Villa are the visitors. £40 for a ticket at Fulham but it'll be the last time to see Villas Irish contingent as I think that's there last match in London this season.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 9:16pm
Only go to one or two games a season , did two last season and will do one this . Time and money the big one but happy to spend my Friday nights in Terryland and the rest watching Ireland 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 10:12pm
One or two games to see Qpr between going to all gufc and ireland games don’t have the time or money for more.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: Gigibongi33
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 11:24pm
United fan.. did 3 home and 1 away in 2017. Usually only do 1-2 a year

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 11:28pm
Support nobody but went AFC Wimbledon once.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 11:47pm
There's a few Derry fans on here, I think.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 9:14am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

There's a few Derry fans on here, I think.

😂😂😂
PM 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Posted By: Reildogg
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 10:23am
People like watching things from the pub/their gafs. I just find it tough only watch through the TV- completely different spectacle.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 3:38pm
What about the die hard fans on here

Baggio - Man City
Gavintheslob - Liverpool
Bhob, Brendan, Dinny - Man U

-------------

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 5:04pm
I go to Hibernian once a year.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 5:11pm
I get over to see Celtic about 4 times a year, back in the early 2000's I go to at least 10. Circumstances have changed so not as easy anymore

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 5:14pm
Used do United a few times a year but have only been twice since 2005 (1 home and 1 away).

Go to fc united twice a year now!

(Used do all drogs home and away match but since I had my kids only do the home matches and the odd away).

Don’t bother going to see Ireland anymore (used do all home matches for nearly 30 years)

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Baggio - Man City
Gavintheslob - Liverpool

Haven't been over in a couple of years, prefer to spend my money on watching Ireland.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:17pm
City twice a year and Celtic at least once, it’s been for past several seasons

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:50pm

Baggio - Man City
Gavintheslob - Liverpool

Define die hard  LOL

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Baggio - Man City
Gavintheslob - Liverpool

Define die hard  LOL

I’m sure people like Baggio will admit it but they love their club and take offence when people abuse it.

I guess the defining characteristics is getting upset on a football forum when people sl*g off your team.

I know a big Man U supporter who would be actually in a mood for days if Man U lost a game. When Liverpool won the champions league he didn’t read a newspaper for about a week.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 11:40pm
My definition of a die-hard : A mate who, when I first met him was on his was to Blackpool on a Tuesday night to watch Reading in an LDV Vans trophy game. Didn't miss one game that season, home or away (And they were in league 1)

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

My definition of a die-hard : A mate who, when I first met him was on his was to Blackpool on a Tuesday night to watch Reading in an LDV Vans trophy game. Didn't miss one game that season, home or away (And they were in league 1)

Seriously impressive tbf! Clap

I know lads who've been to Old Trafford once in their lives, some none (same with a few Liverpool fans I know) yet if their team are under performing the lines comes out "oh don't you just hate plastic fans or sunshine supporters" get to f**k man LOL

Which makes it even more comical is that you can do a day trip from Dublin to Manchester or Liverpool or London etc with match ticket included for the price of a night out. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 12:14am
To be fair most of them lads can't go past the boundary of their home town with out grtting a nose bleed so it's down to medical conditions

Posted By: Fintan
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 9:13am
Have been to the Reds 24 times this season.

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I get over to see Celtic about 4 times a year, back in the early 2000's I go to at least 10. Circumstances have changed so not as easy anymore

No bites Cry

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 4:33pm

Baggio - Man City
Gavintheslob - Liverpool

Just seeing this now.

Wouldn't call myself a die hard United fan, I just enjoy talking sh*te about them on here.

Only game I made it to this season was a Championship game. Last year I went on holidays to America, New Zealand, Spain and Glastonbury so I'd rather spend my money on those than going over to see United play.

I also find it hard to justify the cost of the trips considering how much the clubs spend on players these days.

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 4:59pm

Interesting. I would have thought that there would be more frequent travelers in here given the intensity of debate regarding certain posters and the teams they follow. 

It heightens my suspicion that that top level modern football is packaged for people like a soap opera. It's less about actually enjoying live games and more about being "in the know" conversation wise. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Interesting. I would have thought that there would be more frequent travelers in here given the intensity of debate regarding certain posters and the teams they follow. 

It heightens my suspicion that that top level modern football is packaged for people like a soap opera. It's less about actually enjoying live games and more about being "in the know" conversation wise. 

Think its different for everyone - Me personally, nothing beats being at a game. That's just in general as I'll go and watch many random games if there is one nearby where I am, but it's particularly better when your team is playing. 

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 5:53pm
I can't see myself spending another penny on club football ever again and this is someone who lives in England.
Just the thought of inflating costs and seeing Manchester fans having lovely days out during a derby match sickens me like.

I worked at South Shields FC for 6 months and I got to see how the insides of a club worked back in the old days and it was refreshing, people bringing their dogs to the game, ticket man knew the name of everyone coming in, drinking in the stands legal, smoking in the stands legal. 
A proper community feeling none of this corporate crap. The problem of running a club the old fashioned way are still there in 2018 however such as Gateshead FC fans jumping over the fences looking for a fight so it's not all perfect LOL

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I can't see myself spending another penny on club football ever again and this is someone who lives in England.
Just the thought of inflating costs and seeing Manchester fans having lovely days out during a derby match sickens me like.

I worked at South Shields FC for 6 months and I got to see how the insides of a club worked back in the old days and it was refreshing, people bringing their dogs to the game, ticket man knew the name of everyone coming in, drinking in the stands legal, smoking in the stands legal. 
A proper community feeling none of this corporate crap. The problem of running a club the old fashioned way are still there in 2018 however such as Gateshead FC fans jumping over the fences looking for a fight so it's not all perfect LOL

Would you not then find a local club, maybe non-league, and go and watch them ??

For me, my team is my team, and even though it costs we a fair bit and given where I live it takes a lot of time and effort (worked out that I covered just over 5,000 miles least season !) and even though there are people walking around in half & half scarves on derby day, you'd never beat the highs of winning a big game, derby, cup final etc. I get the same buzz out of that as I do when Ireland win.

That all said, there is something a bit pure and unspoiled about going and watching the local team. Have been a few times to the club near to where I work : Was great last season in the National League South. Watch the game, have a beer, close to the action. Then they went and messed it up by getting promoted and now you have to drink beer only in the club house !

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 6:25pm
I support United but there is definitely a sense of detachment there. I would be a bit annoyed if they lose but i wouldnt be down in the dumps. I generally love arguing and having debates about football so i would talk about them a lot. But ive followed them since i was a kid and have only been going to bohs a few years but it means more going to the games and having a team from your area in my opinion. If united were playing a premier league game at the same time as bohs id be in dalyer. I regret that i havent followed them for longer but i suppose i just wasnt aware of it that much as i didnt know many people at all growing up going to LOI games until the past few years so it wasnt really something i thought about until then.

I wouldnt talk down anyone who goes over to England regularly to games though because its a fairly significant level of commitment anyway you look at it. It could be for any number of reasons. For example id still check in on the results of the teams i followed in the cities i lived in in europe every now and then and hope they do well, and try to take in a game whenever im back. Everyone has their reasons i suppose

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 7:05pm
Can somebody claim to be an adult supporter of a team if they have never actually attended a game at the club they claim to support?

I know this is slightly juvenile, but if you can’t visualise or contextualise the game, and the best you can do is sit atop the barstool, how can you genuinely claim to be a fan?

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 7:29pm
Whilst Irish born I've lived in Sunderland most of my life. I watched my first SAFC match when I was ten we lost 0 3 ( should have known then!) at home to Carlisle in the old second division but I loved every minute of it. It was a night match under the fllodlights with a cracking atmosphere and I was hooked.

As you can imagine its not been full of glory ( whatever that is!) supporting Sunderland but I've met some quality people through supporting SAFC my dad was with me that night at Roker and subsquently I took my son to his first Sunderland match.  My team and always will be.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 8:29pm

Christ. What an oddball. Imagine getting so annoyed about a stranger posting on here a few months ago that he was offered free tickets to the Manchester Derby at Old Trafford, so consequently went, had a few beers and a bite to eat, and watched a good game and a result that pleased him.
Was this news to you that there are corporate areas to these top stadiums were fans get fed before a game? They’ve been around for at least 20 years you do know?

This is the man who said last season that he’s all but stopped watching the EPL, yet comments on it every day on here, and a few weeks ago said “no one cares about Manchester” despite it being the hotbed of English football at the minute

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 8:57pm
Who says I'm annoyed you big tampon.
I put it there intentionally because I knew it would get a bite from you, too easy man! LOL

It's not the first time you've exaggerated what I've said in the past also. I said I don't really give a f**k about the EPL but I'll still keep tabs on the likes of Brighton, Huddersfield etc.

I do generally find Premier League football aload of horsesh*t however, I can tolerate the smaller teams or the teams who try to play football but the further up the league it gets the worse until you get to the very top where if aids could manifest itself into a physical shape it would probably look like Pep Guardiola

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

***No this isn't a dick measuring contest that makes one person a bigger supporter than anyone else***

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 9:40pm

Who says I'm annoyed you big tampon.
I put it there intentionally because I knew it would get a bite from you, too easy man! LOL

It's not the first time you've exaggerated what I've said in the past also. I said I don't really give a f**k about the EPL but I'll still keep tabs on the likes of Brighton, Huddersfield etc.

I do generally find Premier League football aload of horsesh*t however, I can tolerate the smaller teams or the teams who try to play football but the further up the league it gets the worse until you get to the very top where if aids could manifest itself into a physical shape it would probably look like Pep Guardiola

You do talk some utter garbage

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 9:44pm
I'm content with that aslong I don't talk as much garbage as you do Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 9:52pm
Outside of the subjective "what's a die-hard fan", objectively speaking, it's impossible to have an understanding of the game from the TV - given one can only see up to a quarter of the pitch or so at any given time..

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:13pm
This could get interesting

Related image

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Reildogg Reildogg wrote:

Outside of the subjective "what's a die-hard fan", objectively speaking, it's impossible to have an understanding of the game from the TV - given one can only see up to a quarter of the pitch or so at any given time..

I think you need a bigger tv if you can only see up to a quarter of the pitch

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

just to let you know that getting a bigger tv won't actually allow you to see more of the pitch.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

just to let you know that getting a bigger tv won't actually allow you to see more of the pitch.

LOL

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:32pm

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:43pm

Will we say a third here?

But more like a fifth here?

You can work out the average

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 12:54am
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 7:15am

Ffs Bhob
Please escort yourselves over to the thick thread.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 8:29am

Ffs Bhob

f**k sake, the lad in the shop obviously lied to me when I bought my new tv and barstool to match Angry

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 6:04pm

ffs he never ceases to amaze

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 6:07pm

Ffs Bhob

f**k sake, the lad in the shop obviously lied to me when I bought my new tv and barstool to match Angry
should have consulted Baggio to see where he got his

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 6:26pm
Your TV was probably broken in a riding incident, you mad hoor

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 4:43pm
LOL

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net