Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56029
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 6:17pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Scotland down the years
Posted By: McG
Subject: Scotland down the years
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 3:24pm
Always struck me. They’ve had some quality individuals down the decades but so many cases of players earning so little caps.

Hansen 26 caps
McClair 30 caps
George Graham 12 caps

Clubs get in the way? Players not arsed?

Just off top of my head but there’s loads of examples.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Replies:
Posted By: killer kilbane
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 3:31pm
Dave mackay 22
Arthur Graham 11

-------------
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 3:40pm
Andy Gray 20 caps (what a player)
Jimmy Johnstone 23 caps (even better)

Did they play f all games as a national team? But Kenny D got over 100 caps!

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 3:50pm
Dalglish never got injured.

Andy Gray around same time as Dalglish, Joe Jordan, Derek Johnstone, Graeme Sharp etc. Gray very injury prone if I remember correctly.

McClair, McCoist, Mo Johnston, McElvennie etc same time.

MacKay and Jimmy Johnstone cases are unusual.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 3:52pm
You could say them same about some Irish players - Giles, Heighway etc

And there was less games back then, maybe two qualifiers a year.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 4:01pm
Andy Gray was only OK and he wasn't as goof as the lads ahead of him such as Dalglish and Jordan and Sharp etc.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 4:20pm
Scotland got to all the world cups in the 80’s so were a decent team.

But back then there was a lot less games.

-------------

Posted By: ErsatzThistle
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Always struck me. They’ve had some quality individuals down the decades but so many cases of players earning so little caps.

Hansen 26 caps
McClair 30 caps
George Graham 12 caps

Clubs get in the way? Players not arsed?

Just off top of my head but there’s loads of examples.

Alan Hansen was poor at international level. Alex Ferguson in his autobiography even insinuated that Hansen was never really all that bothered with international football.

Brian McClair too few caps ? Other way round, he got too many. Talk to any Scotland fans who saw him playing for Scotland. McClair was bloody awful at international level. Thirty caps and just two goals to show for it.

George Graham in his prime at an underachieving Arsenal side was up against too much competition at international level to become a regular. For example .....

Our managers of the late sixties/early seventies Bobby Brown, Tommy Docherty and Willie Ormond could pick from Billy Bremner, Jim Baxter, Pat Stanton, Willie Henderson, Jimmy Johnstone, Davie Hay, Archie Gemmill, Peter Cormack, Asa Hartford and Tommy Hutchinson in midfield amongst others.

Originally posted by killer kilbane killer kilbane wrote:

Dave mackay 22
Arthur Graham 11

Dave Mackay actually got a pretty respectable number of caps considering how less friendlies were played then and only one sub was allowed. Should be remembered that with the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia still existing back then, there were obviously less countries to play.

Arthur Graham had the same problem as George Graham. Too much competition. He was up against Gordon Strachan, John Wark, John Robertson, Davie Cooper and Davie Provan for caps.

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Dalglish never got injured.

Andy Gray around same time as Dalglish, Joe Jordan, Derek Johnstone, Graeme Sharp etc. Gray very injury prone if I remember correctly.

McClair, McCoist, Mo Johnston, McElvennie etc same time.

MacKay and Jimmy Johnstone cases are unusual.

Graeme Sharp and Steve Archibald were two brilliant club players. What's a mystery is why they proved totally useless at international level. 

Joe Jordan remains a big TA hero. Always gave it his best and obviously loved playing for his county.

Mo Johnstone was a really good player for Scotland and deserved more caps. Scored some cracking (and important) goals for us. And my Gran still fancies him LOL

Frank McAvennie was a big headed **** who refused to play in a friendly match circa 1990 and Andy Roxburgh quite correctly never picked McAvennie again.

Andy Gray 20 caps (what a player)
Jimmy Johnstone 23 caps (even better)

Did they play f all games as a national team? But Kenny D got over 100 caps!

Andy Gray definitely should have got more caps. Both Ally MacLeod and Jock Stein made serious errors of judgement not given Gray more opportunities at international level.

Celtic's Jimmy Johnstone together with Ranger's Jim Baxter were on their day two wonderful, magnificent footballers without a doubt. However with the green tinted specs and the blue tinted specs removed people will tell you that they were both inconsistent at club and international level and not always what you would call "team players". Of course some don't react too well when they are are told the truth like that........

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 4:34pm
Good insight ET.
Many more examples I’m sure.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 4:56pm

Good insight ET.
Many more examples I’m sure.

Nae problem McG.

For reasons that are completely unknown to his day, John McGovern of Brian Clough's famous Derby County and Nott'm Forest teams never got a single cap despite several of his teammates becoming Scotland regulars. No one knows why exactly and of course the responsible Scotland managers Willie Ormond, Ally MacLeod and Jock Stein are no longer here to explain why.

This is an old thread on the TAMB discussing good players who never got any caps if your interested
http://tamb.net/archive/index.php?s=f97bfed4477533d1833fe1a06d58a1a8&showtopic=149933#entry2541533" rel="nofollow - http://tamb.net/archive/index.php?s=f97bfed4477533d1833fe1a06d58a1a8&showtopic=149933#entry2541533

Morton legend Andy Ritchie, Aberdeen's John McMaster and Chelsea's Kevin McAllister are the most frequent names to come up when it comes to the subject of good Scots players who never got capped.

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 5:09pm
ET
Was there ever any pressure put on managers to play home based players ?

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

ET
Was there ever any pressure put on managers to play home based players ?

Hell yes. 

Up until about 1970 there was a great debate about whether "too many Anglos" were getting picked. Many old boys on the terraces at Hampden and even some of the Glasgow football press could be scathing about those players based at English teams and wanted a Scots based players only approach. Absolute nonsense when you think about it. A stupid attitude it was.

We only got our first manager (briefly) in 1954 followed by another three years of the infamous SFA selection committee (who picked every single team from 1872-1953) then we had managers attached to the team. Some of them more under the thumb of the SFA than others.

Some members of the SFA selection committee were also childishly petty men who held grudges against certain clubs and their directors or managers or players for various reasons and would lobby against their players being capped. Ridiculous.

Up until circa 1939 there was also an utterly despicable anti-Catholic attitude on the part of some selection committee members who wanted the amount of Catholics in the team kept to a minimum. This is undoubtedly the reason why Jimmy McGrory only got a paltry seven caps.

Finally, before England, Scotland, Wales and what I shall diplomatically call the IFA team re-joined FIFA in 1947, English clubs were allowed to withdraw players from selection by their native countries and face no repercussions. That is the reason why the great Alex James of Preston and Arsenal only got a mere eight caps.

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 6:47pm
I thought so.
Cheers for that.

-------------

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 7:10pm
For years, right through the 1960's and beyond, there was a bias against players at provincial Scottish clubs, in favour of the Old Firm.

For example, Alan Gilzean scored 169 goals in 190 league games for the outstanding Dundee team which won the title in 1962, reaching the semi-finals of the European Cup the following season, yet only got 4 caps during that time. He mostly played Inside Right for them, yet he was kept out of the Scotland team by Jim Baxter. Baxter later flopped in England, whilst Gilzean joined Spurs at 26, won four trophies with them and played for another 10 years. He added a mere 18 caps to his total. Yet by the time Baxter retired at 31, having done nothing in his last three or four seasons, he still had 34 caps.

And when the maximum wage was subsequently abolished in England and more players went South, there was a bias against "Anglo's". Dave Mackay, for example, was truly world class, arguably Scotland's finest ever player. Bill Nicholson described him as his greatest ever signing, ahead of the likes of Greaves and Jennings etc, he was Footballer of the Year aged 36, playing on for another 2 years. He, too, got just 22 caps.

Charlie Cooke suffered on both counts (provincial and Anglo) and so only got a paltry 16 caps. whilst Scotland capped the likes of Willie Henderson instead.

Of course Dalglish got over 100 caps, but then again, he was a (former) Celt. And Ally McCoist, who flopped at Sunderland, got 61 caps(!) basically for being a Hun.

And people wonder why Scotland never delivered on the international stage, despite having so many outstanding players available to them.

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

For years, right through the 1960's and beyond, there was a bias against players at provincial Scottish clubs, in favour of the Old Firm.

For example, Alan Gilzean scored 169 goals in 190 league games for the outstanding Dundee team which won the title in 1962, reaching the semi-finals of the European Cup the following season, yet only got 4 caps during that time. He mostly played Inside Right for them, yet he was kept out of the Scotland team by Jim Baxter. Baxter later flopped in England, whilst Gilzean joined Spurs at 26, won four trophies with them and played for another 10 years. He added a mere 18 caps to his total. Yet by the time Baxter retired at 31, having done nothing in his last three or four seasons, he still had 34 caps.

And when the maximum wage was subsequently abolished in England and more players went South, there was a bias against "Anglo's". Dave Mackay, for example, was truly world class, arguably Scotland's finest ever player. Bill Nicholson described him as his greatest ever signing, ahead of the likes of Greaves and Jennings etc, he was Footballer of the Year aged 36, playing on for another 2 years. He, too, got just 22 caps.

Charlie Cooke suffered on both counts (provincial and Anglo) and so only got a paltry 16 caps. whilst Scotland capped the likes of Willie Henderson instead.

Of course Dalglish got over 100 caps, but then again, he was a (former) Celt. And Ally McCoist, who flopped at Sunderland, got 61 caps(!) basically for being a Hun.

And people wonder why Scotland never delivered on the international stage, despite having so many outstanding players available to them.

Deeply flawed as he was (just like Jimmy Johnstone) Jim Baxter played some of his best football in a Scotland jersey. He lived to take on England and torment them on the pitch. That's why we picked him and it frequently payed off. Judging Jim Baxter on his time at Sunderland and Forest is rank stupidity. Using the same rule of them, Jimmy Johnstone should be written off because his spell at Sheffield Utd was underwhelming. Nonsense. Baxter was a Scotland great.

Stan Matthews and Pele both rated Baxter very highly but what the feck did they two ever know about football ........

Willie Henderson was an excellent Scotland player. Admired and valued for his consistency, determination and effort which were what led to him being a regular over Cooke and rightly so.

Dave Mackay was amongst our best players but he was not the very best. That's between Dalglish and Law. As I've said before, Mackay got a fair amount of caps, to complain that he "only got 22 caps" is ignoring the fact that there were fewer friendlies played then, only one substitution allowed and less European countries available to play against.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 7:36pm
ET who in your opinion was the best player to have never been capped/been sparsely capped by Scotland

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 7:41pm
Charlie Cooke is still coaching the Coerver Method in his mid 70s.

Met him a few years ago, fit as a fiddle doing Cruijff turns. Gent.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Deeply flawed as he was (just like Jimmy Johnstone) Jim Baxter played some of his best football in a Scotland jersey. He lived to take on England and torment them on the pitch. That's why we picked him and it frequently payed off. Judging Jim Baxter on his time at Sunderland and Forest is rank stupidity. Using the same rule of them, Jimmy Johnstone should be written off because his spell at Sheffield Utd was underwhelming. Nonsense. Baxter was a Scotland great.
In just 5 years with Rangers, Baxter gained 27 caps, whilst (his contemporary) Gilzean gained 22 caps during 16 years at the top level with Dundee and Spurs.
As for Baxter's time at Sunderland and Forest, my point was despite by then being a drunk who was crippled by injury, he still gained another 7 caps.
Meanwhile, Johnstone deserved every one of his caps because they were all gained playing for a great Celtic team - he was never capped again after leaving Parkhead, which was probably right.

Stan Matthews and Pele both rated Baxter very highly but what the feck did they two ever know about football ........
I'll see your Matthews and Pele and raise you my Bill Nicholson, Jimmy Greaves, Johann Cruyff and Miljan Miljanic, all of whom were effusive in their admiration for Gilzean. 

Willie Henderson was an excellent Scotland player. Admired and valued for his consistency, determination and effort which were what led to him being a regular over Cooke and rightly so.
So it's "consistency, determination and effort" you're after?
Cooke played over 500 League games (alone) for Aberdeen, Dundee, Chelsea and Palace in a career spanning 18 years. He got 16 caps.
Meanwhile, his contemporary Henderson got nearly twice as many caps during 12 years, all spent with Rangers.

Dave Mackay was amongst our best players but he was not the very best. That's between Dalglish and Law. As I've said before, Mackay got a fair amount of caps, to complain that he "only got 22 caps" is ignoring the fact that there were fewer friendlies played then, only one substitution allowed and less European countries available to play against.
I'm not saying Mackay was "better" than Law or Dalglish, but he undoubtedly deserves to be mentioned in the same regard as a true great. Yet whilst Law got 55 caps, Mackay got a mere 22 over much the same period.
And Dalglish got a (well-deserved) 102 caps. I don't think Scotland played nearly five times as many games during his era.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 11:29pm
There mus have been a lot of the Celtic European Cup winners team playing for Scotland, yis must have had a good team back then Ersatz?? 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: killer kilbane
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 2:21am
Johny Giles was talking about Dave Mackay getting so little caps for Scotland which he said was scandalous but Bremner was actually playing so well for Scotland they couldnt drop him. Mackay was a hero to Bremner he also said

-------------
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 3:03am
The Scots were too tight to pay for their transport home so said they were injured

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by killer kilbane killer kilbane wrote:

Johny Giles was talking about Dave Mackay getting so little caps for Scotland which he said was scandalous but Bremner was actually playing so well for Scotland they couldnt drop him. Mackay was a hero to Bremner he also said
Dunno how I could have discussed this without referencing one of my favourite football photos of all time:

Anyhow, this guy has an interesting take on Mackay:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=8825BAAAQBAJ&pg=PA146&lpg=PA146&dq=Douglas+Alexander,+journalist,+Sunday+Times,+sports&source=bl&ots=-i-f4XjZpx&sig=E7-WpTC9HHo1_WyksoTcPIYSjW8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilko6GgtrYAhWHLcAKHUwTD6EQ6AEIWzAJ#v=onepage&q=Douglas%20Alexander%2C%20journalist%2C%20Sunday%20Times%2C%20sports&f=false" rel="nofollow - http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=8825BAAAQBAJ&pg=PA146&lpg=PA146&dq=Douglas+Alexander,+journalist,+Sunday+Times,+sports&source=bl&ots=-i-f4XjZpx&sig=E7-WpTC9HHo1_WyksoTcPIYSjW8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilko6GgtrYAhWHLcAKHUwTD6EQ6AEIWzAJ#v=onepage&q=Douglas%20Alexander%2C%20journalist%2C%20Sunday%20Times%2C%20sports&f=false

Note that when Sir Alex Ferguson and Hugh McIlvanney got together to pick their greatest ever Scotland team, not only did they include Mackay, but they made him Captain.

P.S. Apparently he was proud of his record of never getting sent off in his entire career!

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 5:27pm
Bremner not going to put up any resistance there! Venables in the background.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 1:53pm
No suitable thread

Billy Gilmour named in the U21 squad.
Surprised he wasn’t put into the senior squad. He looked great for Chelsea the last 2 games.

-------------

Posted By: PaddyDaCulchie
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 2:31pm
Not suitable thread either but does anyone know of decent irish pubs in Aberdeen?

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

Not suitable thread either but does anyone know of decent irish pubs in Aberdeen?

Are there no decent Scottish pubs in Aberdeen then?

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 4:22pm

Why not mix with the glitterati in Peep Peeps? Some set of tits at the 2:18 mark Heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_guDN7IZ0U" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_guDN7IZ0U

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 4:41pm

No idea, just on my way up there now for work

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Why not mix with the glitterati in Peep Peeps? Some set of tits at the 2:18 mark Heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_guDN7IZ0U" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_guDN7IZ0U

"It's nae a posh, up-market place"

Really? We'd never have guessed LOL

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 5:01pm
It’s a shame it is closed, it looks tremendous fun.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

How come all the rough and ready sh*tholes keep closing? They always the best. Bairds in Glasgow  was great spot if ya  didnt mind not having a toilet street, bog roll and having to sh*t in front of a crowd due to no toilet doors half the time

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 5:59pm

How come all the rough and ready sh*tholes keep closing? They always the best. Bairds in Glasgow  was great spot if ya  didnt mind not having a toilet street, bog roll and having to sh*t in front of a crowd due to no toilet doors half the time
I was in the new Baird’s and I liked it, it isn’t the same though. I actually think a lot of pubs and pub companies are doing themselves out of business by not catering for different markets. There used to be pubs for different occasions, times and situations. It is harder to find the dodgy kip now.
 There used be a decent dive bar near me. The clientele was heavy drinking regulars by day, music fans at night and football fans at weekends. It had some cracking punk and ska nights, barely drinkable beer but very cheap shots and bottles. It kicked all the regulars out, had a refurbishment and is now empty every time I walk past. 

In saying that, I was in Scotland for the first time in a while recently and found there was a better mix. The Central Bar in Leith is still as it was! Change from a fiver for two drinks, everybody a different level of drunk and the worst pub band I have heard. Tremendous.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 6:17pm

I was in the new Baird’s and I liked it, it isn’t the same though. I actually think a lot of pubs and pub companies are doing themselves out of business by not catering for different markets. There used to be pubs for different occasions, times and situations. It is harder to find the dodgy kip now.
 There used be a decent dive bar near me. The clientele was heavy drinking regulars by day, music fans at night and football fans at weekends. It had some cracking punk and ska nights, barely drinkable beer but very cheap shots and bottles. It kicked all the regulars out, had a refurbishment and is now empty every time I walk past. 

In saying that, I was in Scotland for the first time in a while recently and found there was a better mix. The Central Bar in Leith is still as it was! Change from a fiver for two drinks, everybody a different level of drunk and the worst pub band I have heard. Tremendous.

Egerton arms in Stockport like that, £1.80 for pint of John Smith's, £2.30 for Carling, mix of pikeys, Bagheads, oaps, homeless lads stinking place out, and the hi vis brigade after work. Bar half the crowd,  go bust, change owners, let everyone back in and same thing again. Dukebox free and half the fights start over that. 

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 6:34pm
Just had a quick search and one of the first stories I find is of two regulars who decapitated a lad and set him on fire.Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 7:20pm
[QUOTE=pre Madonna]Just had a quick search and one of the first stories I find is of two regulars who decapitated a lad and set him ]

Least they didn't do it in the pub

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 9:01am
Stewart Houston - 1 cap

left back. 7 years at man united making 250 apps.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 11:15am

Stewart Houston - 1 cap

He obviously had a problem !!!

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 1:18pm

Stewart Houston - 1 cap

He was up against Sandy Jardine and Danny McGrain for that role at international level. Both never let us down. .

Allan Evans and Ken McNaught were Aston Villa's central defence when they won the European Cup. Evans only got four caps and McNaught zero because of the quality and consistency of Willie Miller and Alex McLeish.

Hamish McAlpine and Campbell Money were two good goalkeepers but neither ever got any caps because of Jim Leighton's reliability in internationals.

My Granddad is still unhappy that one of his all time favourite players, Ian McMillan (Airdrie & Rangers) only got six caps.

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 1:22pm

Stewart Houston - 1 cap

He was up against Sandy Jardine and Danny McGrain for that role at international level. Both never let us down. .

Allan Evans and Ken McNaught were Aston Villa's central defence when they won the European Cup. Evans only got four caps and McNaught zero because of the quality and consistency of Willie Miller and Alex McLeish.

Hamish McAlpine and Campbell Money were two good goalkeepers but neither ever got any caps because of Jim Leighton's reliability in internationals.

My Granddad is still unhappy that one of his all time favourite players, Ian McMillan (Airdrie & Rangers) only got six caps.

Good info Thistle Thumbs Up

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: BaileNuisBhoy
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 3:16pm

Stewart Houston - 1 cap

who was better in your opinion? McGrain or Jardine?

-------------
Say no to Egg Chasing!!!

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by BaileNuisBhoy BaileNuisBhoy wrote:

who was better in your opinion? McGrain or Jardine?[/QUOTE]

They played long before my time but I love talking to my folks about what they remembered and reading feedback from other fans about those times.  

The problem with the whole Danny McGrain and Sandy Jardine debate is that unfortunately it's often seen through either blue or green tinted specs which doesn't make for a very productive debate.

Some have said that Jardine was the better tackler. Some have said that McGrain was the better athlete. Others say that they were both equally as good.  

My Dad (a Rangers fan) thinks that they were both brilliant players but that on reflection McGrain was probably slightly better. 

Granddad (who saw his first Scotland game in 1942) maintains that the late Eric Caldow is the best full back he's ever seen play for Scotland.

Posted By: BaileNuisBhoy
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 11:08am

Originally posted by BaileNuisBhoy BaileNuisBhoy wrote:

who was better in your opinion? McGrain or Jardine?

They played long before my time but I love talking to my folks about what they remembered and reading feedback from other fans about those times.  

The problem with the whole Danny McGrain and Sandy Jardine debate is that unfortunately it's often seen through either blue or green tinted specs which doesn't make for a very productive debate.

Some have said that Jardine was the better tackler. Some have said that McGrain was the better athlete. Others say that they were both equally as good.  

My Dad (a Rangers fan) thinks that they were both brilliant players but that on reflection McGrain was probably slightly better. 

Granddad (who saw his first Scotland game in 1942) maintains that the late Eric Caldow is the best full back he's ever seen play for Scotland.
[/QUOTE]cheers 👍🏻

-------------
Say no to Egg Chasing!!!

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 8:55pm
Eddie Gray - 12 caps over 8 years

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 9:01pm

Eddie Gray - 12 caps over 8 years

Eddie Gray on his day was a beautiful footballer.

Unfortunately, he was also notoriously injury prone. Hence the lack of caps.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 9:12pm
nearly 600 appearances for Leeds wouldnt suggest he was too prone to injury. a few low numbers in the early 70s but apart from that, he must have timed his injuries well for international football

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 9:55pm

nearly 600 appearances for Leeds wouldnt suggest he was too prone to injury. a few low numbers in the early 70s but apart from that, he must have timed his injuries well for international football

I have to respectfully disagree with you there McG. 

Some of those seasons where he was clearly suffering from injuries were years where he really could have been most useful to our national team.

Gray had a lot of competition for a spot on the wing for Scotland in the years he was active. Good players such as Jim Baxter, Willie Henderson, Jimmy Johnstone, Willie Morgan, Archie Gemmill, Willie Johnstone, Charlie Cooke and Peter Cormack for example were all among the players competing with Gray for a place in the team.

Some of those players particularly Willie Henderson (whom Pele was an admirer of) and Archie Gemmill were very good, reliable internationals who often did not deserve to be dropped. 

The same thing happened to the famous "terrible trio" (Willie Bauld, Alfie Conn Snr and Jimmy Wardhaugh) who scored tons of goals for the successful Hearts league and cup winning teams of the mid-late fifties. They only got a mere six caps between them because the competition among players for places, one of whom was a teenager playing for Huddersfield Town called Denis Law. 

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 10:08pm
Solid info as always ET Thumbs Up

Eddie was on OffTheBall this eve celebrating John Gile's 80th. I knew he was a Leeds legend and googled his caps, was surprised they were so low. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 10:16pm
It's well known that Revie dissuaded his Leeds players from playing for their countries. Giles got very few of his lowly 59 caps (over 20 years) during his best playing years between 66 and 73. Bremner to his credit often refused Revies call to cry off for Scotland. If you compare international caps for Giles and Bremner between 66 and 73, it'll make you think. Get it that Scotland had the HN which we didn't but there is a large deficit on the Giles side. Giles 14 v Bremner 39, and Bremner had a lot for competition for his place.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 10:33pm
Dave Mackay got just 22 Scotland caps.

Here is what Jimmy Greaves said about him:
"My old Tottenham http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/dave-mackay-dead-scotland-hearts-5261808" rel="nofollow - team-mate Dave Mackay was the most complete professional footballer I've ever known, on and off the pitch.
He was a genuinely hard b****d and a truly gifted ball player a combination which is so rare.
Dave could play in any outfield position, was a world-class midfield enforcer and sweeper and even understudied for me up front when I was suspended for a European semi-final."

Harry Redknapp:

"Dave Mackay was one of the best I've ever seen. Jimmy Greaves was the greatest goal scorer, and George Best was just the best. The greatest."

George Best:

"The hardest man I have ever played against – and certainly the bravest".

Brian Clough said that signing Mackay, by then a veteran, was: "the best day's business I did in my life"

And I think I'm right in saying Bill Nicholson considered him the best player in the great Spurs Double team - one of the greatest teams English football has ever seen.

Then there's this:

Mackay reportedly hated this picture since it made him look a bully, when he was so much more than that. But context is everything: Bremner had gone out of his way to kick Mackay on the leg he had just come back from breaking for the second time. Either way, I think the referee was so relieved that Mackay didn't kill him that he didn't send him off, thereby allowing Mackay to maintain his proud record of never having been sent off in over 700 games.

Meanwhile, Billy Bremner got 54 caps.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 10:40pm

Eddie was on OffTheBall this eve celebrating John Gile's 80th. I knew he was a Leeds legend and googled his caps, was surprised they were so low. 

Johnny Giles was my Dad's (as a lad he supported Leeds as his "English team") favourite non-Scottish player when he was a youth and he still thinks very highly of one of Ireland's greatest ever players Thumbs Up

Frank Gray (Eddie's brother) did get a respectable thirty two caps for the national team.

Funnily enough, when we've discussed over on the TAMB the players who should have got more caps, one name that frequently comes up is Steve Clarke.

Tom Cairney (two caps) is the one player from the last ten years who should have gotten more caps than he did. Strachan was stubbornly loyal to the too often underwhelming Barry Bannan and James McArthur and was reluctant to try out new blood in central midfield for too long. 

Posted By: gmfc90
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 10:42pm

Johnny Giles was my Dad's (as a lad he supported Leeds as his "English team") favourite non-Scottish player when he was a youth and he still thinks very highly of one of Ireland's greatest ever players Thumbs Up

Frank Gray (Eddie's brother) did get a respectable thirty two caps for the national team.

Funnily enough, when we've discussed over on the TAMB the players who should have got more caps, one name that frequently comes up is Steve Clarke.

Tom Cairney (two caps) is the one player from the last ten years who should have gotten more caps than he did. Strachan was stubbornly loyal to the too often underwhelming Barry Bannan and James McArthur and was reluctant to try out new blood in central midfield for too long. 

Cairney has no interest in playing for Scotland

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 11:01pm

Dave Mackay got just 22 Scotland caps.

Here is what Jimmy Greaves said about him:
"My old Tottenham http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/dave-mackay-dead-scotland-hearts-5261808" rel="nofollow - team-mate Dave Mackay was the most complete professional footballer I've ever known, on and off the pitch.
He was a genuinely hard b****d and a truly gifted ball player a combination which is so rare.
Dave could play in any outfield position, was a world-class midfield enforcer and sweeper and even understudied for me up front when I was suspended for a European semi-final."

Harry Redknapp:

"Dave Mackay was one of the best I've ever seen. Jimmy Greaves was the greatest goal scorer, and George Best was just the best. The greatest."

George Best:

"The hardest man I have ever played against – and certainly the bravest".

Brian Clough said that signing Mackay, by then a veteran, was: "the best day's business I did in my life"

And I think I'm right in saying Bill Nicholson considered him the best player in the great Spurs Double team - one of the greatest teams English football has ever seen.

Then there's this:

Mackay reportedly hated this picture since it made him look a bully, when he was so much more than that. But context is everything: Bremner had gone out of his way to kick Mackay on the leg he had just come back from breaking for the second time. Either way, I think the referee was so relieved that Mackay didn't kill him that he didn't send him off, thereby allowing Mackay to maintain his proud record of never having been sent off in over 700 games.

Meanwhile, Billy Bremner got 54 caps.

Another great club player but who also sometimes suffered injuries. He also played at a time when less friendly matches were played and less substitutes allowed.

Tellingly, according to my folks (who remember were actually in the stands watching these games at Hampden and who travelled down to Wembley) Mackay didn't always bring his club form with him to the national side. 

There plenty of other decent defenders to consider too such as John Greig and the late, great Billy McNeill who were both natural born leaders.

I trust my folks judgement on this, they were actually there.

Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Cairney has no interest in playing for Scotland

He seemed quite enthusiastic and relieved to finally be called up when Strachan did give him his long awaited call up so I disagree. He also turned up for the underage squads often enough. 

Today we don't need him though. 

I'm quite happy with the totally unglamorous but nonetheless hard working midfielders (such as Jack and McGinn) we have now and the ones coming through in the U21s (Gilmour, McCrorie, Campbell) at present.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 11:37pm

Another great club player but who also sometimes suffered injuries. He also played at a time when less friendly matches were played and less substitutes allowed.

Tellingly, according to my folks (who remember were actually in the stands watching these games at Hampden and who travelled down to Wembley) Mackay didn't always bring his club form with him to the national side. 
Not so.

His two leg breaks (the second in a reserve game while he was making his comeback from the first) saw him miss 18 months, just at the height of his career.

Despite that, he still played over 700 times, including Clough buying him at 33 to build his promotion-winning Derby team around. (Clough wouldn't have taken that chance had there been a doubt over his fitness/injury record).

Originally posted by ErsatzThistle<b> ErsatzThistle wrote:

There plenty of other decent defenders to consider too such as John Greig and the late, great Billy McNeill who were both natural born leaders.

I trust my folks judgement on this, they were actually there.
Then your folks will have known that Mackay wasn't a defender, he was a Left Half (midfielder in today's parlance).

And in his final years he dropped back to become one of the very first sweepers in the English game, with distinction, being voted FWA "Footballer of the Year" in 1969, aged 35.

Meanwhile Greig and McNeill, orthodox defenders, were respectably 8 and 6 years younger than Mackay, so their peak years didn't overlap with his.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 11:51pm
Territorial, with all due respect my entire extended family (on my Dad's side Rangers and Celtic fans, on my Mum's side Celtic and Partick Thistle fans) were actually there at Hampden and Wembley watching these games back in the day. 

They know what they saw and passed it on decades later. I wasn't. And you certainly were not either.

I'm told by eyewitnesses to many of Mackay's internationals that his form was erratic. There we have it. So unless you can invent a time machine, I firmly regard their accounts as the truth.

As a Northern Ireland fan, you may be interested to know that my Great-Grandfather (a Rangers fan who died decades before I was born) considered Crevolea native Sammy English to be one of the finest players he ever saw play at Ibrox.

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:00am

Territorial, with all due respect my entire extended family (on my Dad's side Rangers and Celtic fans, on my Mum's side Celtic and Partick Thistle fans) were actually there at Hampden and Wembley watching these games back in the day. 

They know what they saw and passed it on decades later. I wasn't. And you certainly were not either.

I'm told by eyewitnesses to many of Mackay's internationals that his form was erratic. There we have it. So unless you can invent a time machine, I firmly regard their accounts as the truth.

As a Northern Ireland fan, you may be interested to know that my Great-Grandfather (a Rangers fan who died decades before I was born) considered Crevolea native Sammy English to be one of the finest players he ever saw play at Ibrox.

Can’t see what your parents being actually at the matches has to do with his point?he never questioned the form of Mackay...he just stated that his fitness wasn’t as bad as said and his position was left-half.

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:17am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Can’t see what your parents being actually at the matches has to do with his point?he never questioned the form of Mackay...he just stated that his fitness wasn’t as bad as said and his position was left-half.

It was my parents own parents, uncles, grandparents who were at the games, Mum and Dad were not yet in the picture Wink 

The point is more the "weren't they stupid not to give Mackay more caps ?" sentiment. As I've pointed out there was a reason he never got more caps - he didn't play as well in a Scotland shirt as he did in a Hearts or Spurs shirt. I can ask eyewitnesses who were there and not just rely on a nostalgic web article.

The same was true for Jim Baxter and Jimmy Johnstone, both legends of the game but sometimes inconsistent at both club and international level.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:48am
ET, just wondering why Scotland didn't qualify for the 1966 WC considering how well Scottish teams were doing in European competition in the mid 60s and having p!ayers like Law, Mackay, Cooke, Bremner and Collins to pick from.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 1:17am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

ET, just wondering why Scotland didn't qualify for the 1966 WC considering how well Scottish teams were doing in European competition in the mid 60s and having p!ayers like Law, Mackay, Cooke, Bremner and Collins to pick from.

Same old Scotland. Same old story.

We changed managers during the campaign. Ian McColl took the first game and then Jock Stein agreed to take charge on a short term basis. A lot of people don't know that the big man actually had two spells managing Scotland.

In our group were Italy, Finland and Poland.

Beat Finland both times but the away win was not all that easy.

Drew against Poland away and then lost at home to them. 

Italy at Hampden Park was next. On a freezing cold, slightly foggy November night. Just over 100,000 people were there that night. And nobody gave us a chance. We beat them 1-0.

In the eighty-eight minute, Jim Baxter played in a pass to John Greig of all people (who was playing out of position at right back) who took a shot and scored. Hampden went f**king mental. LOL 

My Grandad was there that night and can still recall the foaming bottled beer flying everywhere (you could sneak a quarter bottle in easily in those days of course) under the floodlights and wee boys being thrown up in the air by their Dad's in celebration. Great stuff. 

We then had to go to Naples. The Italians knew what they had to do and did it professionally. They beat us 3-0. 

The country would have loved seeing us play in England in 1966 without a doubt. But we didn't do a good enough job in qualifying and truthfully didn't deserve to be there.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 11:35am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Thank you JB.

On the matter of Mackay's fitness/injury record, from he signed for Spurs in 1959, until his first leg break in late 1963, his club playing record was as follows:
59/60 - 42 games
60/61 - 44 games
61/62 - 36 games
62/63 - 39 games
63/64 - 17 games (of 20 before the leg-break)

He got 11 caps during that period of 4 1/2 seasons, covering the period when he was at his absolute peak as one of the top 3 players in one of the top 3 clubs in Europe.

As a Half Back.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 11:54am
I count about 15? Excluding the obvious unofficial game. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:03pm

The point is more the "weren't they stupid not to give Mackay more caps ?" sentiment. As I've pointed out there was a reason he never got more caps - he didn't play as well in a Scotland shirt as he did in a Hearts or Spurs shirt. I can ask eyewitnesses who were there and not just rely on a nostalgic web article.
It is, of course, entirely possible that whilst being a (genuinely) world-class player with Spurs, Mackay's performances for Scotland failed to reach that level.

But having finally dug out my old Spurs Compendium(!), I've spotted something unusual.

In season 1959/60, when Spurs paid Hearts a joint-record fee for a half-back, Mackay played 6 out of 7 of Scotland's games.

In 1960/61 he played the first three of their games, but missed the next three (he wasn't injured).

In 1961/62 he didn't play any of Scotland's six games (still not injured), while Scotland failed to qualify for the 1962 World Cup Finals.

In 1962/63 he was recalled to the team and played their first 3 games before breaking his leg in December.

And in the 1960/61 season, when Spurs were winning the Double etc, his last game before his 9 game exile was the famous 9-3.

And by looking at the succeeding games where clearly inferior players were being selected, it starts to look like Mackay may have been scapegoated for that humiliation. If so, he was in good company, since both Denis Law and Ian St.John were subsequently omitted too. St.John was eventually recalled, though still only ever gained 21 caps. Law, of course, went on to gain 55 caps; then again, he was the youngest of the three, so had time (and a new manager) to be "rehabilitated".

The same was true for Jim Baxter and Jimmy Johnstone, both legends of the game but sometimes inconsistent at both club and international level.
Dunno nearly enough about either, but if both were as talented as Mackay, Baxter was also a complete waster, whose club career never came remotely close to that of Johnstone or Mackay.

Yet he gained 34 caps, to Mackay's 22 and Johnstone's 23.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 4:05pm

It is, of course, entirely possible that whilst being a (genuinely) world-class player with Spurs, Mackay's performances for Scotland failed to reach that level.

But having finally dug out my old Spurs Compendium(!), I've spotted something unusual.

In season 1959/60, when Spurs paid Hearts a joint-record fee for a half-back, Mackay played 6 out of 7 of Scotland's games.

In 1960/61 he played the first three of their games, but missed the next three (he wasn't injured).

In 1961/62 he didn't play any of Scotland's six games (still not injured), while Scotland failed to qualify for the 1962 World Cup Finals.

In 1962/63 he was recalled to the team and played their first 3 games before breaking his leg in December.

And in the 1960/61 season, when Spurs were winning the Double etc, his last game before his 9 game exile was the famous 9-3.

And by looking at the succeeding games where clearly inferior players were being selected, it starts to look like Mackay may have been scapegoated for that humiliation. If so, he was in good company, since both Denis Law and Ian St.John were subsequently omitted too. St.John was eventually recalled, though still only ever gained 21 caps. Law, of course, went on to gain 55 caps; then again, he was the youngest of the three, so had time (and a new manager) to be "rehabilitated".

Dunno nearly enough about either, but if both were as talented as Mackay, Baxter was also a complete waster, whose club career never came remotely close to that of Johnstone or Mackay.

Yet he gained 34 caps, to Mackay's 22 and Johnstone's 23.

I don't really know what's the point of engaging any further with someone who 1) clearly is not reading what I post, 2) is a self appointed (Wikipedia) expert and 3) considers themselves the intellectual superior of everyone else, 4) has just ruined the thread. So this is my last post on the matter which I will leave others to decide for themselves.

The critical fact going against you here is that you didn't acknowledge my point about you not having seen any of these games. Yet I can count on a number of eyewitnesses who were in the stands and could judge for themselves. They said Mackay was inconsistent, that's why he never got a half century of caps. That's the matter settled.

You then brought club form into this to distract from the fact you lacked first hand information and so cited obviously biased club publications and web articles. 

If it interests you; Billy Steel, Steve Archibald, Paul Sturrock, Gary McAllister, Alan Hansen and Graeme Sharp are all similar examples as to Mackay. Fantastic players at club level who for some reason couldn't do it all at international level (Archibald, Sharp) or were inconsistent (Steel, McAllister).

Your comments about Jim Baxter are complete drivel clearly from someone who doesn't know anything about Scottish football and just consults Wikipedia for everything he wants to know.

Jim Baxter had problems and tragic ones at that. He could have achieved a lot more but he was a truly magnificent player on his day who frequently did his country proud as anyone who saw him (and I know quite a few who did - can you ?) can testify.

The main reasons for Baxter's regrettable plunge into alcoholism were that he was (some might say surprisingly) lacking in self-confidence and very-self critical. Sadly, he was often prone to what we would now call clinical depression. 

Unfortunately he made the wrong choice in coping with such issues but in the sixties there was very little support for such problems and a man was expected to keep his chin up. Jim Baxter fell into the same trap that many young men with such problems fall into even today. I think you should withdraw your word "waster".

If it interests you, another devastating blow to Baxter was discovering in his late twenties that the man and woman he thought were his birth parents - were actually his adoptive parents. He was never quite the same man again after that.

Whilst I acknowledge that Baxter could go through inconsistent spells at club level (Jimmy Johnstone was the exact same) the fact of the matter is his international form (which is what we are talking baout) was always first rate.

The balance, ball control, passing and dribbling skills that Baxter possessed were phenomenal. Among his admirers were some of the greatest players (Pele & Puskas) and managers (Stein & Shankly) of the game in his day. Even a great many Celtic supporters quietly admired him. 

Baxter was a true great of the 20th Century game. And I say that as someone who f**king loathes and despises Rangers.

No self appointed Wikipedia professor can change that fact. Our Slim Jim was a Scotland hero in the sixties and he'll be with us in spirit when we get to a tournament again.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 5:24pm
You implied that two of the reasons why Mackay got so few Scotland caps were because (a ) injury and (b ) that as a defender he was competing for places with eg Greig and McNeill.

Both of these claims are demonstrably wrong.

As for your third justification - that he never repeated his club form for his country - I specifically acknowledged that possibility in the first line of my post:
"It is, of course, entirely possible that whilst being a (genuinely) world-class player with Spurs, Mackay's performances for Scotland failed to reach that level."
But considering the enormous talent open to Scotland throughout the 1960's, and their abject failure to capitalise on it by eg qualifying for World Cups or Euro's etc, can you simply blame the players? Or might it just have been something to do with the whole set-up? I mean, it's not as if his replacements did very much, is it?

And when I then went on to suggest that he may also have been scapegoated for the 9-3 (Law and St. John also dropped), you entirely fail to acknowledge this.

As for the rest, I accept that I shouldn't have used the term "waster" for Baxter, but it is beyond question that regardless of how much he charmed Scots fans at Hampden or Wembley etc, he never remotely exploited that talent in his club career and nowhere nearly so much as Mackay. And if Mackay could do it over nearly 20 years for top managers like Tommy Walker, Bill Nicholson and Brian Clough, why not for Scotland? Might it have been something to do with the oft-repeated claim that "Anglo's" like Mackay often failed to get the same shake of the stick as "home" Scots?

Finally, your "wikipedia" taunt says more about you and your inability to address evidence and facts which contradict your case than it does about my sources. But for the record, my main reference for Mackay was my copy of "Spurs - A Complete Record, 1882-1988" by club historian Bob Goodwin, generally accepted as the 'Bible' for all things Tottenham. And as such, Mackay features very prominently in the 465 closely typed pages.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 5:35pm
Look if you want the last word take it. Happy ? 

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 5:37pm

Look if you want the last word take it.
I might as well - seeing as you have no counter.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 5:44pm
Now that Reg from Fawlty Towers has had his say let's get this thread back on track Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 6:46pm

... let's get this thread back on track Thumbs Up

That track being the number of talented players who nonetheless received surprisingly few caps (see OP).

Which caused, er, someone to note that: "Dave Mackay actually got a pretty respectable number of caps considering how less friendlies were played then and only one sub was allowed." - No mention of injuries or not reproducing club form for Scotland etc.

And it seems that: "Up until about 1970 there was a great debate about whether 'too many Anglos' were getting picked. Many old boys on the terraces at Hampden and even some of the Glasgow football press could be scathing about those players based at English teams and wanted a Scots based players only approach. Absolute nonsense when you think about it. A stupid attitude it was."

Anyhow, it seems that Mackay actually got "a fair amount of caps" [sic].

Not bad for an injury-prone underperformer, then.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 6:54pm

... let's get this thread back on track Thumbs Up

That track being the number of talented players who nonetheless received surprisingly few caps (see OP).

Which caused, er, someone to note that: "Dave Mackay actually got a pretty respectable number of caps considering how less friendlies were played then and only one sub was allowed." - No mention of injuries or not reproducing club form for Scotland etc.

And it seems that: "Up until about 1970 there was a great debate about whether 'too many Anglos' were getting picked. Many old boys on the terraces at Hampden and even some of the Glasgow football press could be scathing about those players based at English teams and wanted a Scots based players only approach. Absolute nonsense when you think about it. A stupid attitude it was."

Anyhow, it seems that Mackay actually got "a fair amount of caps" [sic].

Not bad for an injury-prone underperformer, then.

Ok then Reg, seeing as how your obviously such an expert on our national team (and who watches all our games I'm sure) then perhaps you can tell me who Steve Clarke should be picking to face Serbia. 

I cannot wait to read this. 

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 7:22pm

Ok then Reg, seeing as how your obviously such an expert on our national team (and who watches all our games I'm sure) then perhaps you can tell me who Steve Clarke should be picking to face Serbia. 

I cannot wait to read this. 
This thread is about Scottish players down the years receiving fewer caps than expected.

Dave Mackay was one quoted example.

On which subject you have been banging on this last couple of days that he was (a ) injury-prone, (b ) overlooked in favour of defenders, and (c ) unable to reproduce his club form for Scotland.

The first two are patent nonsense and as for the third, well it's bloody curious that when this thread was opened in 2017, you never mentioned anything about that, but instead considered that he actually got a "respectable" number of caps i.e. concomitant with his ability and contribution.

Meanwhile I'll pass on the Scotland v Serbia game, since I've long since stopped taking an interest in what 'I shall diplomatically call the SFA team'. At least since the days when I used eg to go to see them play NI home and away in the British Championships; or when NI were drawn against them in WC Qualifiers; or when I went out to Italia90 with 2 Scottish mates (a Celt and an Arab, btw).

In fact the last time I took much of an interest in them was probably Euro 96, though I did pop to Hampden for a couple of NI friendlies more recently - not that that was much fun for either set of fans.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 7:33pm
LOLLOLLOL

He's getting angry now.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 7:48pm
Scots Irish ding dong...ET well ahead. C'mon Tel do it for the GAWA..

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 7:51pm

Ach, it's alright Cabra, I usually wear a white poppy this time of year anyway. I'm a lover no a fighter Smile 

I'm sure Terri ain't a bad bloke who means well but he really should drop the boring smartarse act.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 7:55pm
T

Now that Reg from Fawlty Towers has had his say let's get this thread back on track Thumbs Up

ClapClapClap

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 8:09pm

Ach, it's alright Cabra, I usually wear a white poppy this time of year anyway. I'm a lover no a fighter Smile 

I'm sure Terri ain't a bad bloke who means well but he really should drop the boring smartarse act.
Be gentle with Tel, 8 points behind Linfield after only 3  league games cannot be helping his mood.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 8:56pm
great chance of qualifying now.  1 nil up away to Serbia and the better team. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 9:27pm
From what I can make out Scotland are playing very, very well

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 9:31pm
Oh dear

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:22pm
Yeeeeessssss

-------------

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:22pm
David Marshall hadn't realized that he saved the winning penalty.

Fair play to them Clap

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Jackal
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:23pm
When was the last time the three British teams qualified for a tournament?

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:24pm
Jammy bastards ha 

congrats anyway ye jammy gits 

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:26pm
Delighted for the Scots

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:27pm
Congrats ET Thumbs Up long aul 23 years 

Enjoy your few cans or whatever Thumbs Up

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: BrendanD88
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Fair play to them Clap

He wasn’t sure if he was on his line, VAR was in play.

Posted By: grannyrule
Fair play to them

-------------
The only way is up

Fair play to them Clap

He was checking if it was legit as the new rule has keepers freaked. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Fair play to them Clap
Oh he realised it alright

He was making sure it wouldn't be retaken

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:28pm
I knew Mitrovic would miss

He is of dubious character

Has the talent to be with a better club team than he is

-------------

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:28pm
JocksClap

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

When was the last time the three British teams qualified for a tournament?
It's never happened before as far as I know

-------------

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:29pm
enjoy ET 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Neil Armstrong
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:31pm

YYYYEEEESSS!!!!

Choose Scotland. Choose Archie Gemmill. Choose Andy Goram in his tights. Choose Craig Brown. Choose Faddy scoring in Paris & Tom Boyd scoring an own goal against Brazil. Choose avenging the pain of Georgia. Choose 4-6-0. Choose belting out 500 Miles in your mum and dad's front room. Choose Andy Murray winning Wimbledon. Choose a deep fried haggis and a square sausage. Choose David Marshall. Choose Steve Clarke.

CHOOSE SCOTLAND GOING TO THE EUROS!

-------------
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!

-------------

1958 had NI Wales and England so 3 Uk sides but never 3 British sides. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Neil Armstrong
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:32pm
Kris Boyd is one happy JockLOL

-------------
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:33pm
From the outside looking in I'm beginning to think what's the point, success going to a tournament will be possibly winning a game and that's it .....as has been us down the years...........am seriously beginning to question the point of International football

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

From the outside looking in I'm beginning to think what's the point, success going to a tournament will be possibly winning a game and that's it .....as has been us down the years...........am seriously beginning to question the point of International football
Stop watching it then.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

1958 had NI Wales and England so 3 Uk sides but never 3 British sides. 
Wales were literally drawn out of a lucky bag to play in that tournament

-------------

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Yeah, think I’m going to stop following Dundalk now too, I mean success would be picking up a point in the group stages of the EL, I mean what’s the point

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:36pm
Never forget being in Santa Ponsa many moons ago, a Scottish lass took me back to here hotel room and whilst I was riding her she start neighing like a horse. I woke up the next morning and locked into her friend thinking it was her I was so drunk.

I hope she's celebrating tonight Beer

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net