Print Page | Close Window

What is your preferred outcome in tomorrow's draw?

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Republic Of Ireland
Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=55740
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 9:14pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What is your preferred outcome in tomorrow's draw?
Posted By: rolo
Subject: What is your preferred outcome in tomorrow's draw?
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:15pm
Exciting times as there are now two games and one team standing between us and the World Cup.

So it's as good a time as any for another poll.

I'm going for option 1.

But for me its a 50/50 draw: avoid croatia and italy at all costs. Had that down as an option but removed it as it sort of clashed/overlapped with other options.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Replies:
Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:30pm
I'd go with the first option. We'd have a right chance against the Danes and defo don't want the Italian tournament masters (despite the fact there'd be some great red wine/pizza consumption going on).

For some reason I can't vote above Confused

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:33pm
Denmark or Switzerland please with Away leg 1st and home 2nd 

looking forward too the draw even more now with the storm today

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:39pm
Option 1,Denmark were beaten at home by Montenegro and drew twice with Romania,a few Austrians were saying we should want Croatia before the Swiss because they dominated their group, Portugal beat them to top spot on goal difference (12) but the rest of the teams in the group were Hungary, Latvia,Faroes and Andorra.
Was chatting to a Croat who was at the Finland game, he said they dominated and somehow conceded late on but that the whole stadium was chanting for the manager to be sacked from the start.
I don't want Italy but i certainly don't think we should fear them or any of the 4.

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:43pm
You could argue that Switzerland had the easier group.

Although they beat Portugal at home 2-0 which is a great result.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:44pm
Denmark ideally

Chwap direct flights for Copenhagen

If not Definitively not Italy

Mixed between the other two but we are due a good night in Basel

Have very bad memories from our last visits to both Basel and Zagreb

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It was a great result,you could also argue that Portugal had just come off a Euro winning hangover,think it was the opening group game.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

It was a great result,you could also argue that Portugal had just come off a Euro winning hangover,think it was the opening group game.

It was.

And apparently they didn't look all that great in the return game. 

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:53pm
Italy would probably beat us over two legs but the Italian way of playing will not destroy us the way Croatia on their day could. Italy would never hammer us say 3-0. Croatia have that potential though. We would have opportunities against Italy but their quality would probably pick us off and win by a narrow margin.  Have Croatia got a new manager for this though?

My preferences

Denmark (excellent chance of winning that tie)
Switzerland
Italy
Croatia

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Italy would probably beat us over two legs but the Italian way of playing will not destroy us the way Croatia on their day could. Italy would never hammer us say 3-0. Croatia have that potential though. We would have opportunities against Italy but their quality would probably pick us off and win by a narrow margin.  Have Croatia got a new manager for this though?

My preferences

Switzerland
Italy
Croatia

All fair points, but the flip side is it's hard to see Italy not make the World Cup. They'll surely get through.
Whereas Croatia have actually been a bit flakey lately, despite their class in midfield. They lost to Turkey, Iceland, and drew at home to Finland last week.

I think the press conference today where they announced Zagreb would host the playoff was also for an announcement of their new manager. Link was in Croatian and I wasn't bothered going to google translate.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

My preferences

Switzerland
Italy
Croatia

All fair points, but the flip side is it's hard to see Italy not make the World Cup. They'll surely get through.
Whereas Croatia have actually been a bit flakey lately, despite their class in midfield. They lost to Turkey, Iceland, and drew at home to Finland last week.

I think the press conference today where they announced Zagreb would host the playoff was also for an announcement of their new manager. Link was in Croatian and I wasn't bothered going to google translate.

Yes the ref will do everything possible to make it happen for them.  Yeah Croatia are flaky but not to the likes of us I fear.  We never do too badly against Italy. Their cautious defensive approach to the game gives us a bit more freedom to play.   The Croats are more attacking and ruthless than Italy.  Italy will settle for a 1-0 win.  Croatia could go to town on us if in the mood.  Italy struggling a bit lately too though so wouldn't be sh*tting it.  The ref is the big problem.

-------------

Posted By: Dano
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:04pm
For me the best outcome for tomorrow is to avoid Croatia, their style of play and midfield would destroy us. Order of preference would be:

Denmark
Switzerland
Italy
Croatia

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:05pm

1. Switzerland
2. Denmark
3. Croatia
4. Italy

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: ABFC
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:08pm
1) Switzerland
2) Denmark
3) Italy
4) Croatia

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:14pm
Italy and Croatia have different reasons to be avoided - yes, Croatia have made an almighty mess of a group they really should have been fit to win at a canter with the players they have and the fact they sacked the manager pretty much proves he lost the dressing room. We've seen it so many times when the team then gets it's act together - this is bound to be one of those examples which would be at our expense, so no thanks!

Italy, I don't need to go into - they always find a way to progress which would certainly be at our expense whether by fair means or foul (well, it is Italy we're talking about! ).

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: Scissors Kick
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:24pm
Denmark or the Swiss, I just think we could bully them, physically, and they may break under it. It would be unwatchable for the most part but at this stage ... just get it done.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:31pm
Denmark beat Poland 4-0 at home last month, they then beat Montenegro 1-0. They draw at home to Romania in their last game but it was really a dead rubber as second was assured and a play off spot 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Denmark beat Poland 4-0 at home last month, they then beat Montenegro 1-0. They draw at home to Romania in their last game but it was really a dead rubber as second was assured and a play off spot 

And your point is......

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: MaximusGizmo
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:36pm
I really hope that we don't get Croatia. I'd say that we would be totally overran by their midfield especially in the away leg.

Posted By: DonkeyOatey
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:39pm
I'm praying for the Swiss, that is all. Hoping we get lucky.

Posted By: Gabrieléire
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:42pm
Great times being involved in a world cup play off draw. Hope we get the Danish. Gonna say a prayer tonight!

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:45pm
They also drew at home to both Finland and Turkey and lost to Iceland and Turkey.

I'd prefer them to Italy, Italy will definitely be at the World Cup, this play off is nothing more than a stumbling block and that they'll raise their game and qualify.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:46pm
If we're up against Croatia, we're obviously going to sit back so that they don't overrun us in midfield in that sense. 

The problem with doing that is they'll have sustained periods of pressure on us and they have the players to pick us off if one of our defensive unit switches off and they play someone in.

Whatever people think about Whelan, he would certainly be my first name on the team sheet against a creative Croatian/Italian midfield anyway. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:48pm

They also drew at home to both Finland and Turkey and lost to Iceland and Turkey.

I'd prefer them to Italy, Italy will definitely be at the World Cup, this play off is nothing more than a stumbling block and that they'll raise their game and qualify.

Exactly.

Can't believe anyone on ybig thinks that Italy would be an easier wicket to take than Croatia. Confused

-------------

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:51pm
What time is the draw tmrw?
Both home/away legs decided tmrw too ?

Posted By: greenmachine68
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:54pm
Denmark please. Purely for the fact that waste of space bendnter is still playing for them.

-------------
theres only one tony grealish

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:54pm
Here is what I would like and my reasons are this. I voted Croatia. 

1. Italy make tournaments - they always do. We beat them at the Euro's. They owe us one and they're Italy. 

2. Croatia struggled in a piss poor group and lost out on top spot to Iceland. They sacked their manager before Ukraine game, they are generally in turmoil. Players not performing, mutiny in camp, serious unrest etc. 

3. We play away first and manage to contain them. Those Countries like Croatia etc, the fans are lunatics. Imagine the negativity towards them if they couldn't break down little old Ireland. They would almost be rioting. 

4. They would then travel to Dublin under MASSIVE pressure from spectators / media and would end up saying daft things that would motivate us even further. 

5. These are the games MON has shown he can win. No better man to set us up to stifle and beat the Croats. 

6. The least amount of bandwagoners will travel to this game.

7. I have never been - that interests me. 

8. We are due a scalp. We already have Italy & PS we don't want them. They will be at the World Cup.

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:57pm

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

What time is the draw tmrw?
Both home/away legs decided tmrw too ?

1pm afaik.

Home/away order will be drawn at the same time.

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:05pm
Denmark
Yes because Eriksen aside, they would be similar to us. It would be a close game and they are the weakest of the top sides.
No because they won 4 out of the last 5 beating Poland 4-0. They lost 2 out of the first 3 so on form this year.

Swiss
Yes because they have no real top quality players.
No because they did win 9 games. Maybe an easy group but still impressive.

Croatia
Yes because they are inconsistent and with a new manager.
No because that midfield could murder us.

Italy
Yes because not the force they once were.
No because over two legs they would slowly beat us.

-------------

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:07pm
Cheers for info

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:09pm
Haven't seen it mentioned on here yet, but the rights to show the WC in Italy haven't been bought by anybody yet so you'd imagine FIFA will be doing their darndest to smooth the way for Italy to get through. The rights are worth a huge amount of money and near f**k all to FIFA if they don't get through... so for that reason, I really don't want the Italians.

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:14pm
I watched a repeat of the Denmark v Poland game ,it was mental,it seemed like every time they took a shot they scored,they both had around the same attempts on goal,Poland were a bit unlucky.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Haven't seen it mentioned on here yet, but the rights to show the WC in Italy haven't been bought by anybody yet so you'd imagine FIFA will be doing their darndest to smooth the way for Italy to get through. The rights are worth a huge amount of money and near f**k all to FIFA if they don't get through... so for that reason, I really don't want the Italians.

Plus FIFA will no doubt have been spooked by Argentina just about qualifying but also USA failing to qualify - marketing and commercial opportunities, as with Italy, would be worth a fortune and that's now gone. Surely FIFA won't want to lose out on another big market.   

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:16pm
FIFA won't be stung by USA missing out. TV rights for there has been done already

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:21pm
I think we can beat the Croats , just feel it's our time .........

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: TioPepe
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:24pm
Denmark. I've never been to Copenhagen, easy to get to as well.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

FIFA won't be stung by USA missing out. TV rights for there has been done already

Yeah Fox and Espn were bidding for it and Fox won with a $400M bid.

Sick

-------------

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:31pm
My order of preference:

1) Denmark- Decent quality team and especially with Eriksen on form could cause us problems. Not great in attack with Bendtner stil leading the line though. They are well beatable over 2 legs.

2) Switzerland- I think their group was kind and their record not as impressive as it looked. Good win vs Portugal at home to be fair but bar Shaquiri they are fairly predictable. Would be happy to draw them.

3) Italy- Would be a very turgid play off and the Italians always manage to pull off big results when needed. Slight chance we could do them on away goals though in my opinion.

4) Croatia- A top class team well out of form but with the potential to hammer us if they get it right. Modric, Rakitic, Perisic and Mandzukic to name a few they have quality all over the park. Would be very deflated if we draw them.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: raclle
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Plus FIFA will no doubt have been spooked by Argentina just about qualifying but also USA failing to qualify - marketing and commercial opportunities, as with Italy, would be worth a fortune and that's now gone. Surely FIFA won't want to lose out on another big market.   
Do i sense corruption and dejavu

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Will we know the exact dates during the draw tomorrow??

Avoid Italy, they've only missed one WC in their history and it was around 50 years ago.

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

That'll be a huge relief to FIFA but it'll also set off alarm bells regarding Italy, God knows what murky goings-on could be happening to make it easier for Italy to qualify and in turn to make it easier to sell the tv rights in Italy.

Just another reason to avoid Italy then. A couple of minutes should be enough to have some of those balls in the microwave at FIFA HQ shouldn't it? I just hope ours isn't one of them.

-------------

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Will we know the exact dates during the draw tomorrow??

Avoid Italy, they've only missed one WC in their history and it was around 50 years ago.

1958 and it was Northern Ireland who knocked them out.  

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:51pm
Denmark I suppose, but I wouldn't be overly afraid of Croatia. Their qualification record is not great at all and even any time they've qualified, they've performed quite poorly, bar in 1998. We could definitely take them in a two leg play off.....they're not the world class side of 20 years ago.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Denmark I suppose, but I wouldn't be overly afraid of Croatia. Their qualification record is not great at all and even any time they've qualified, they've performed quite poorly, bar in 1998. We could definitely take them in a two leg play off.....they're not the world class side of 20 years ago.

If they get their act together they have the potential to be a top class team. Could easily dispose of us. Modric and Rakitic in midfield are particularly good, Perisic, Mandzukic top class on their day. Kovacic well regarded, Kalinic a good goalscorer. Lovren, Vida and Corluka not that great but have loads of experience. They are very good.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:25pm
Croats absolutely butchered the north in Belfast, I'd really like to avoid them, other than that if we go away first and escape with a draw the rest could be beaten

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Croats absolutely butchered the north in Belfast, I'd really like to avoid them, other than that if we go away first and escape with a draw the rest could be beaten

In a friendly that doesn't matter a jot. 

Neither ourselves or that shower would be a pushover for Croatia. Croatia would know we/and them would make it as difficult as possible.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:40pm
Reading the Irish Times who report how Croatia, Denmark, Italy and the Swiss think of their own chances.  Every team says basically ''we dont have the quality of the past'' in refernce to their own teamLOL

Croatia seem to be in turmoil alright. Their fans dont like the federation or their new manager. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

In a friendly that doesn't matter a jot. 

Neither ourselves or that shower would be a pushover for Croatia. Croatia would know we/and them would make it as difficult as possible.

I do think peak Croatia are the best of the 8.
They have the potential to batter any of the bottom 4 teams.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:42pm

Reading the Irish Times who report how Croatia, Denmark, Italy and the Swiss think of their own chances.  Every team says basically ''we dont have the quality of the past'' in refernce to their own teamLOL

Croatia seem to be in turmoil alright. Their fans dont like the federation or their new manager. 

Didnt know that. That is good news. Maybe wouldnt be such a bad draw after all then. Their quality scares me though

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Didnt know that. That is good news. Maybe wouldnt be such a bad draw after all then. Their quality scares me though

Well save your emergency jamrag supply until/if we actually draw them tomorrowThumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:56pm
Still think Italy are the team to fear. As much quality as Croatia have, they've struggled, and the bottom line is, if they were as good as people are saying, they'd have won their group. 

Not that I'd be happy if we got Croatia tomorrow. I just think I'd rather them to Italy.

Italy were unlucky to be in a group with Spain. That said, they drew at home to Macedonia last week. And they didnt look too great in the process, highlights on youtube.

I know we're no worldbeaters, but none of these seeds strike the absolute fear into me, in the way Germany, Spain, France, Belgium or Portugal would.

But I really want to avoid Italy and Croatia...

-------------

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:32pm
1) Denmark
Pros: The team with the least quality out of the four seeded teams and one i think we could edge out over two games. Easy to get to Copenhagen, we'll bring a massive following.
Cons: Denmark is extremely expensive. Christian Eriksen is very good. Other than that Denmark are the best draw we can hope for.

2) Switzerland 
Pros: again i think we'd stand a fairly decent chance of beating these but I rate them slightly higher than Denmark. No great shakes all things considered, a decent team but one we shouldn't fear. Lack any real 'world class' players like ourselves.
Cons: Won 9 games in their (admittedly piss poor outside of Portugal) group, are a bogey team of ours from the days of Hakan Yakin and the boys. Basel is also probably a sh*thole.

3) Italy 
Pros: We have a good enough record against them, easily the most glamorous fixture of the four and the memory of Lille is still fresh. Slight chance that their big names underperform in a playoff where we get in their faces. They're unlikely to hammer us which means we'd be well in the tie.
Cons: Massive gap between 2 and 3 in order of preference, we stand a good chance against the first two and a very slim chance against these two IMO. Need no introduction, almost impossible not to see them getting to a world cup and very possible the officials have that in the back of their mind. Chance they'll stick us a million miles down in Palermo and unwise to sort out going over until we know where we're playing. They'd almost certainly get the job done against us when they need to.

4) Croatia - the nightmare scenario for me. 
Pros: haven't been in good form recently, fairly credible reports of infighting in the camp, no major worries about getting tickets, apart from the hassle of getting there it'd probably be my favourite potential destination of the four.
Cons: Zagreb difficult to get to, we'll bring the least fans here, doesn't have the glamour factor of Italy, just a fear factor. That midfield is terrifying, Mandzukic did a number on us in 2012, they're light years ahead of us technically and won't be bothered by mixing it with us physically. Would almost certainly handle us comfortably over two legs and a very real chance we'd be out after the first leg.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:51pm
Be interesting to see what the top seeds wants - anybody on their forums?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:53pm
Greece I'd say

I'd bet ourselves and the Swedes are the teams the seeds don't want to play

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

obviously just the opinion of one journalist from each of the seeded countries but still insightful

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/1016/912726-irelands-world-cup-opposition-view/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/1016/912726-irelands-world-cup-opposition-view/

-------------

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:16am
TO BE HONEST  WE CAN BEAT ANY OF THEM.....
\
i want the swiss  since they dont feel  the national team shirt...they are a bunch of plastic cheese eaters stranded in La  Confederation Helvetique...,,,sh*tty team

the Denmark not a great team....but they have a few good talented players but they are mind fragile...plus we always get them bar  1985

then croatia .. and italy at the same level....media pressure plus sponsorship for Italy...but they have an average team bar ...Buffon who is a  39/ years old GK......CROATIA...had a bad qualififers they got defeated by iceland ...and are not performing well but they have  modric  rakitic and the big fellow from juventus up front

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Great times being involved in a world cup play off draw. Hope we get the Danish. Gonna say a prayer tonight!

I'd prefer the Danes.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:33am
What times the draw

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

What times the draw

Depends where you are located. 

but it is 14.00 CET.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:54am
Id nearly rather we were the underdog for the fixture. Probably about level with the Danes in terms of dog. Big smile

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:55am
I'd disagree with that Croatian journalist's comments about the average Croatian football fan - almost every Croatian I've ever met knows a lot about every national team and league in Europe.

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:06am
Found it quite strange most of journalists said the fans wouldn't know any of the Irish Players. The Italians for example should know about Brady unless they have suffered amnesia since last year

Posted By: keith11
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:45am
When will the fixture date be agreed ? If the draw is at 1pm  then how long before the date is announced ?  Is it pretty much straight away or do we end up waiting a few hours.   I presume if we are drawn at home then we have to play thursday or friday because of the rugby ?

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:20am

obviously just the opinion of one journalist from each of the seeded countries but still insightful

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/1016/912726-irelands-world-cup-opposition-view/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/1016/912726-irelands-world-cup-opposition-view/

Fair play to the Swiss
at least they know an irish player

What sort of a journalist can't name a single player from a national team that was at the last two Euro Championships?

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Fair play to the Swiss
at least they know an irish player

What sort of a journalist can't name a single player from a national team that was at the last two Euro Championships?

I'd imagine most football fans would be able to name at least a few players from the majority of the top 30 teams in World football.

One lad in comments says he wouldn't know any Italian players outside of Buffon and Darmian Confused

Posted By: Pubes
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 11:10am
With all this talk about Denmark, the north are a cert to get them

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 11:56am
1.) Anybody but Croatia

2.) Switzerland. I think that group they were in has given them the reputation as a team who will steam roll you. Germany, they are not. That group was muck. Portugal were tearing their defence apart with ease the other night. 

I still think we could get past any of these things, but the idea of Italy not qualifying for a World Cup is just hard to get past. If they need to get the result, I feel they will.

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:04pm
Italia, grazie.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

Italia, grazie.

Are ye mad ? It'll be 2009 all over again. No way will FIFA want the Italians missing out. They'll get every decision going

-------------

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:06pm
I actually think we'll get Italy.

No draw will be kind regardless, but Denmark would be the team I feel we would have the best chance against. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: The Green Werewolf
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by keith11 keith11 wrote:

When will the fixture date be agreed ? If the draw is at 1pm  then how long before the date is announced ?  Is it pretty much straight away or do we end up waiting a few hours.   I presume if we are drawn at home then we have to play thursday or friday because of the rugby ?

Looking for the same answer. For all the bullsh*t "everything you need to know about the play off draw" articles floating about not one says it.

-------------
Away days brighten the North Stand, Our football friends from foreign lands. They'd nudge eachother with their hands - "Wow these really are the worlds best fans"

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:10pm
Today

-------------

Posted By: emmomac
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:11pm
what are the 4 destination cities?

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by McAteerdrops McAteerdrops wrote:

Looking for the same answer. For all the bullsh*t "everything you need to know about the play off draw" articles floating about not one says it.

BECAUSE NO ONE KNOWS!!!

TEAMS WILL HAVE UNTIL FRIDAY TO CONFIRM VENUES AND DATES ETC.

SO TO ANSWER THE QUESTION WHICH HAS BEEN ASKED AND ANSWERED NUMEROUS TIMES ON HERE WE WON'T KNOW UNTIL THE DRAW IS f**kING MADE!!

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:16pm
Italy will get Greece.  They told FIFA that this is thir preferred opponent.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:16pm
Apologies if i came across too harsh in above post LOL

Posted By: emmomac
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:22pm
draw live on FIFA's Youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/fifatv

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:25pm
Dates today. Venues by Friday.

And it's only Italy you need to worry about.

Croatia have confirmed Zagreb, the other two won't move from Copenhagen and Basel.

-------------

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:26pm
we will get the swiss, i can feel it

Posted By: The Green Werewolf
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Apologies if i came across too harsh in above post LOL

Ha not at all...LOL Like many just want to book asap after the opponents announced.

Not to worry looks like 4 nights in god knows where to cover all possiblities it is.

-------------
Away days brighten the North Stand, Our football friends from foreign lands. They'd nudge eachother with their hands - "Wow these really are the worlds best fans"

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:34pm
In fairness to journos and fans from around Europe, as far as high profile players (even slightly), this is one of the worst crop of Irish players, so it's understandable we're going under the radar, and being written off to an extent. 

That said, any of the coaches/teams who get us will find it hard to ignore some of our results over the last couple of years. And what makes it more difficult for other teams is that it's hard to pin point the reason  for our wins. We have no lethal goal scorer, no world class midfielder. 

If we get out battled or out spirited, that's when we're fooked, but from an opposition view point, you can't suddenly muster up those qualities over night.

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

In fairness to journos and fans from around Europe, as far as high profile players (even slightly), this is one of the worst crop of Irish players, so it's understandable we're going under the radar, and being written off to an extent. 

That said, any of the coaches/teams who get us will find it hard to ignore some of our results over the last couple of years. And what makes it more difficult for other teams is that it's hard to pin point the reason  for our wins. We have no lethal goal scorer, no world class midfielder. 

If we get out battled or out spirited, that's when we're fooked, but from an opposition view point, you can't suddenly muster up those qualities over night.

Our players are as a good as the Swiss and Danes - the Italians will know some of their players because they play in Europe instead of the Premier League / Chanpionship.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

The Swiss beat Portugal in their qualifying group which makes me wary of them to an extent. But imagine we were seeds and looked at the results of an unseeded team we could play. Beat Wales and Austria away this campaign(decent quality sides), beat Italy last year at the euros, drew with Sweden, beat Bosnia in our last play off and obviously the big win vs Germany. We would absolutely be looking to avoid a team like that. Ok our home record hasn't been great but still we have some quality results there to show.

-------------

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:47pm
Peter Schmeichel was the analyst on Skys match last night.They asked him about the draw and he said the two he want's to avoid are the two Irelands because they are so hard to play against.He said Ibrahimovic was the difference between the sides last time they played Sweden in a play off.If I was Danish though I really don't think I'd want the derby.

How much messing will go on before they actually draw the teams out? 30/40 minutes I suppose?

Posted By: randyrandolph
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:49pm

BECAUSE NO ONE KNOWS!!!

SO TO ANSWER THE QUESTION WHICH HAS BEEN ASKED AND ANSWERED NUMEROUS TIMES ON HERE WE WON'T KNOW UNTIL THE DRAW IS f**kING MADE!!

you need to see someone about your anger issues. 

it's not your fault

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:53pm
Just got me electricity back and up for air after yesterday.

Is this on a tv channel today? SSNews or Eurosport.

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:54pm
Think its being streamed live on Youtube, although I could be wrong.

-------------
Tea???? FECK!!!!!

Posted By: greenforever

BECAUSE NO ONE KNOWS!!!

Most people know

The draw is about 13:30 today, starts at 13:00 and after the lick arsing etc probably about 13:30

Dates will be announced approx 30 mins later.

Croatia have confirmed Zagreb yesterday
Denmark always play in Copenhagen
Switzerland play virtually all their big games in Basle

The stadium must be confirmed by Saturday.

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

RTE News Now

-------------

Posted By: gmfc90
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Just watch here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXBXGIjLptA" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXBXGIjLptA

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:56pm
Gracias Gents.

Posted By: eboue16
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

BECAUSE NO ONE KNOWS!!!

Most people know

The draw is about 13:30 today, starts at 13:00 and after the lick arsing etc probably about 13:30

Dates will be announced approx 30 mins later.

Croatia have confirmed Zagreb yesterday
Denmark always play in Copenhagen
Switzerland play virtually all their big games in Basle

The stadium must be confirmed by Saturday.
The big question is whether to jump in two footed and book straight away or hold out the half hour for certainty!

-------------
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:57pm
will we use this thread for the draw or the other one ???

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:57pm
my nerves.

This draw is vital. 

A bad draw and we're out before a ball is kicked in all honesty

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:59pm
This draw on RTE or just Sky? I ask because Sky won't be allowed show footage of the draw only report back on who comes out.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 1:01pm
good lord that blonde 

Posted By: Pubes
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 1:03pm

This draw on RTE or just Sky? I ask because Sky won't be allowed show footage of the draw only report back on who comes out.

Sky sports usually go live to the draw studio

Posted By: SeanCruz
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 1:04pm
Why is every draw process so painful?? Angry Just draw it!

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 1:04pm
Its live on fifa facebook page

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net