Subject: Playoffs - please provide your DIY draw results
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:11pm
So playoffs it is

As it currently stands it could be

Italy, Croatia,Denmark, Portugal/ Switzerland

Replies:
Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:12pm
Nothing ever easy but could be a lot worse.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Lansdown Roar
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:13pm
Is the seeded team home last?

Or is it who is drawn out first and last?

-------------
They've only gone and done it

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:14pm
f**k it i dont mind. A chance in all of them i reckon.

Posted By: Jackthelad
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:15pm
No. Seeded team can be away 2nd leg.
My order of preference would be
1 Denmark
2 Portugal/Switzerland
3 Italy
4 Croatia

-------------
Oh Poland we loved you.....

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:16pm
Next Tuesday 17th October for the playoff draw.

Top 4 seeds v bottom 4 seeds.

Who plays at home/away first is a random draw for each tie.

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:17pm
*never mind

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: Pubes
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:19pm
Denmark
Croatia
Italy
Portugal
--or--
Denmark
Switzerland
Croatia
Italy

I feel we can beat anyone on our day. And be beat by anyone on our off days

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:21pm
Fair f**ks to iceland. Top their group.

Posted By: Nib
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:39pm
As of tonight, three of Ireland's four playoff opponents are ranked 16, 17 and 18 in the world. Wales are 15th and we just beat them, away.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:57pm
Can't believe we've to wait a week for the draw

-------------

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:58pm
Greece/Sweden/Ireland/ Northern Ireland

Who will the big guns want? and who will they want to avoid?

I suppose it's hard for us to be objective, but when we're really up for it we're horrible to play against, if not very pretty on the eye.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:59pm
We proved 2 years we were better than Sweden, should have won that game with a bit to spare in euros. Don't know have they many new faces, no zlatan. They are hardly any better
I'd honestly say we are the bum draw.

-------------

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:00pm
Sweden are 23rd in the rankings and Denmark are 26th. Why would Denmark be top seeds instead of Sweden?

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Greece/Sweden/Ireland/ Northern Ireland

Who will the big guns want? and who will they want to avoid?

I suppose it's hard for us to be objective, but when we're really up for it we're horrible to play against, if not very pretty on the eye.

I'd say the four of us will be seen as largely similar by the big teams, tough solid sides. Sweden have been going well in their group so maybe they'll be the team to avoid but we'd probably be next on the list IMO

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: raclle
I'd take Italy over Switzerland or Portugal.

Posted By: colemanY2K

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Sweden are 23rd in the rankings and Denmark are 26th. Why would Denmark be top seeds instead of Sweden?

That they are I think though that Denmark will go ahead of them at next upgrade.

If not then just replace Danes with Swedes

Posted By: TioPepe
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:07pm
Teams will want Greece. 

Avoiding us and Sweden. As we've now proven we can qualify in play offs. Northern Ireland offer nothing at all going forward, poorer then ourselves by quite some distance.

Denmark would suit us. Avoid Portugal. Italy aren't as strong as they were under Conte, and I know very little on Croatia bar the big names, I wouldn't imagine theres much between them and Serbia.

Posted By: TioPepe
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:10pm
Denmarks style of play would suit us perfectly as well. All their strikers have an aerial threat, none of them are going to run the channels and cause chaos.

Posted By: PMc10
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:13pm
Who's out suspended by us?

Posted By: Pubes
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by PMc10 PMc10 wrote:

Who's out suspended by us?

Just meyler. The man who was a squad member at best, now captain marvellous 😂

Posted By: PMc10
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:20pm
He'll be missed, Maybe McCarthy might be thinking tonight to get his act together

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:32pm
What dates are the 2 games?

Thanks

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:32pm
I love Meyler. Has a brain in his ceann. As against Wales,Austria and Georgia he will be missed on the pitch .

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:34pm
Portugal/Croatia in no particular order just horrible to have to deal with......Italy pretty daunting but not not doable, anyone else is fair game some tougher than others but nothing fearful

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

Thanks

9/10/11 and 12/13/14

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:46pm
Hopefuly Portugal do the business against Switzerland tomorrow night. Ronaldo is the last man you want in a play off. Switzerland would be tough but beatable. Denmark very beatable and probably at a standard of ourselves, Italy not the force of old but always get the job done. Want to avoid obviously. Croatia I would really want to avoid. Over two legs they would probably win comfortably. Some real class players and a new manager to galvanise them.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:51pm
Wesley who?Tongue

I'm absolutely buzzing about the win but it's daft how O'Neill was somehow right not to play Hooolahan just because we won. If we lost the same blow with the wind merchants would be screaming injustice.

I like O'Neill and happy he stayed on anyway but can't stomach RTE panelist's telling us how right he was in the end. All's well end's well.  

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by PMc10 PMc10 wrote:

He'll be missed, Maybe McCarthy might be thinking tonight to get his act together

Clown

Rim me 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Wesley who?Tongue

I'm absolutely buzzing about the win but it's daft how O'Neill was somehow right not to play Hooolahan just because we won. If we lost the same blow with the wind merchants would be screaming injustice.

I like O'Neill and happy he stayed on anyway but can't stomach RTE panelist's telling us how right he was in the end. All's well end's well.  

I get as frustrated as anyone listening to the media say our only chance is to start Wes but i do think he should have started tonight. I really don't think the performance was great and we'd have kept it better if Wes played and probably created more chances. But the point is moot now and it's a discussion to be had another day. We came up big and that's all that matters.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:08am
POs will be interesting. Croatia with Rakatic and Modric are to be avoided. Portugal have a game changer in Ronaldo which even the greatest of defensive fortitude couldn't mitigate for. Italy would be my second choice, with Denmark the clear favourite.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:22am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Wesley who?Tongue

I get as frustrated as anyone listening to the media say our only chance is to start Wes but i do think he should have started tonight. I really don't think the performance was great and we'd have kept it better if Wes played and probably created more chances. But the point is moot now and it's a discussion to be had another day. We came up big and that's all that matters.

This has been to the absolute death to the point people are probably sick of reading it but Wes cannot play 2 games within a week, he doesn't simply have the physicality for it, the bigger argument should be why did he start him against Moldova instead of Wales if that's the case.

On the missing place Meyler filled - Marc Wilson has actually done good despite the club's horrendous form, the best of the bad bunch, I'm not championing him as the replacement but there's worse options out there.

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:24am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Wesley who?Tongue

I think tonight's result and performance did make a bit of a show of the panel. All they were talking about before the game was Hoolahan, Hoolahan, Hoolahan and were probably sharpening their knives for post-match. The guy doesn't play for one second and now we're talking about a great Irish football night. We started Wes against Serbia last month and lost the game - how do they explain that?

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 1:18am
Assuming we'd want to face the Swiss instead of Portugal? 

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 2:16am
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Assuming we'd want to face the Swiss instead of Portugal? 

Yes definitely, Portugal would have a bit more quality

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 2:26am
We could quite conceivably beat Switzerland, I wouldn't hold out much hope against Portugal. They play a fairly negative style of football like ourselves so it won't be a case of backs to the wall defending which we seem quite comfortable with, we'd likely have to take some initiative. Add to that Ronaldo's game-changing ability and it'd hard to see us coming out on top.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 3:11am
i want  la suisse ....i think but before them  denmark.....portugal should win tomorrow over 90 minutes  but... clock is ticking....

what a victory today....as  for  italy ...if we argentina  failed tomorrow night ....then it can happen to the tricky italians....fear no one i say

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 3:57am
I want to avoid Italy. The rest are fooking pussy countries who we'll brush aside nonchalantly.

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 7:38am
Portugal- Have a genuine world class gamechanger in their ranks in Ronaldo. Outside of that they have a lot of technically gifted options. They do play a fairly negative brand of football relying on the counter. Still think they're to be avoided.

Switzerland- Have been impressive winning 9/10. Similar to Portugal in they rely heavily on the quick counter. On his day Shaquiri can be special. Beat them last time we played them, they'd be my preference. Hopefully Portugal beat them this evening to give us the option.

Croatia: team to avoid. Technically brilliant did falter at the end which seen coach replaced. Modric, Rakitic, Kovacic, perisic they have players to out pass us (like most teams 😂) Mandzukic is one of the most underrated forwards in Europe and a danger.

Italy: Different kettle to what we played in Lille. Think they were always playoff bound when you consider it was them or the Spanish. Seemed to take foot of gas when they couldn't qualify directly drawing to Macedonia and making hard work of Albania. Still want to avoid them as over two legs they'd beat us.

Denmark: Would be a good draw, outside of Christian Eriksen they probably around our level. Have been impressive in last few games and would he a tough two legs. Keep Eriksen quiet and it will be a close tie. Would still prefer the Swiss over them.

Posted By: E2016
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 8:17am
Croatia are the team we absolutely need to avoid.
Hopefully Portugal beat Switzerland to give us the option of them, even though Switzerland are slightly better than us, in my opinion.

Italy are going badly at the moment and I think we would turn this into a war of attrition. Would come down to the wire.

Denmark are probably the team to get.

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 8:18am
Ideally we want Portugal to win tonight and then:

50% chance of Drawing Denmark or the Swiss
Avoid Croatia and Italy.

It's my b-day on the 10th Nov so will be in New York for both games.
I was there when we beat Austria away so will go to the same bar and hope for the same result.

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:06am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Thanks

9/10/11 and 12/13/14
The rugby lads play SA in the Aviva on Sat 11th. I guess they showed this week we can do back-to-back football/rugby games anyway if it comes to it.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Thanks

9/10/11 and 12/13/14
The rugby lads play SA in the Aviva on Sat 11th. I guess they showed this week we can do back-to-back football/rugby games anyway if it comes to it.

They always have been able to do it. Been done plenty of times before in Lansdowne and Croker

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: shakeyshamrock
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:11am
We're going to get Croatia aren't we?

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:19am
My fear Dead

A midfield with Inter, Real and Barca represented. Meanwhile we throw Burnley and West Brom at them. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:24am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

My fear Dead

A midfield with Inter, Real and Barca represented. Meanwhile we throw Burnley and West Brom at them. 

They couldn't beat Finland and Kosovo in qualifying

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:26am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

My fear Dead

Finland and Kosovo would beat us in qualifying 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: skimcg
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:32am
All the Switz need is a draw so Portugal will have to change their style of play and take the initiative tonight. Just landed in lisbon..sun is shining. Should be a cracker in estadio da Luz! Hoping for a Porto win and a Denmark playoff. We are all wishing for a trip to Basel or Copenhagen so it's going to be costly for everyone if we draw either team!

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:35am

My fear Dead

They beat Kosovo twice, 7-0 over two games

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Denis Irwin

My fear Dead

Ah now

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Originally posted by skimcg skimcg wrote:

All the Switz need is a draw so Portugal will have to change their style of play and take the initiative tonight. Just landed in lisbon..sun is shining. Should be a cracker in estadio da Luz! Hoping for a Porto win and a Denmark playoff. We are all wishing for a trip to Basel or Copenhagen so it's going to be costly for everyone if we draw either team!

that's the downside of drawing either of them LOL not nice on the ol bank balance.

Looking as well Swiss seem to mix up where they play their games, Looks like Basel is the main place but they have played in Geneva, Lucerne and St. Gallen in the last two campaigns.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:36am

My fear Dead

LOL Gway outta that

Posted By: BannerGreen
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:46am
Presume we'll be away second as unseeded?

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:06am

that's the downside of drawing either of them LOL not nice on the ol bank balance.

Looking as well Swiss seem to mix up where they play their games, Looks like Basel is the main place but they have played in Geneva, Lucerne and St. Gallen in the last two campaigns.

Switzerland is small and very easy to get around. You'll be able to get to any potential venue within a few hours. Trains are reasonably priced fwiw.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Thanks

9/10/11 and 12/13/14

They always have been able to do it. Been done plenty of times before in Lansdowne and Croker
what happens if we're drawn to play at home that day?

-------------

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Switzerland is small and very easy to get around. You'll be able to get to any potential venue within a few hours. Trains are reasonably priced fwiw.

Getting there and back would be a piece of piss alright but it's the rush for tickets that would be an issue (again) anywhere other than Basel.

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:15am

-------------

Posted By: LenBrennan
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:15am
Italy alternate their venues also. Nightmare trying to book flights before the costs rocket.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:16am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Getting there and back would be a piece of piss alright but it's the rush for tickets that would be an issue (again) anywhere other than Basel.

Oh Jesus, don't mention tickets for Switzerland away

-------------

Posted By: RayHoughton
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:16am
Croatia or the Italians would be an absolute national tragedy. 

-------------
George 'The Baggio brothers, of course, are not related' Hamilton

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:19am
I'd happily take any of them bar Croatia.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:22am
The Italians I hope would surely announce the venue before or straight after the draw? The other countries are fine as they either play in the same venue all the time or the country is small. The Italians could have us anywhere.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:25am
Originally posted by BannerGreen BannerGreen wrote:

No, the team that's drawn first in each tie will be at home 1st (or at least that was the case for the Euro 2016 play-offs).

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:28am
A world cup without Italy? No way. They always get over the line.

Danes or Swiss please.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:30am

No, the team that's drawn first in each tie will be at home 1st (or at least that was the case for the Euro 2016 play-offs).
this time the teams are picked and then the two are put into a separate pot where the first team out are home in the first leg.

-------------

Posted By: ABFC
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:31am

Danes or Swiss please.

Could say the same for the Netherlands and Argentina

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:34am
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

Danes or Swiss please.

Could say the same for the Netherlands and Argentina

Dutch weren't at 02. It's happened in modern times.

Argies, yes. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:34am
Venues wise, what are we talking?

Denmark:
Copenhagen Parken (38,000 seater)

Croatia:
Zagreb (35,000)

Portugal:
Rotate between Porto (50k), Lisbon (68k), also played recent qualifiers in Faro (30k) and Aveira (32k) but played their 2014 World Cup playoff in Lisbon

Switzerland:
Rotate between Basel (38k), St Gallen (20k), Geneva (30k), guess Basel most likely based on competitive history, yay, back to f****n Basel 

Italy: 
F**k knows(!) LOL

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:41am

this time the teams are picked and then the two are put into a separate pot where the first team out are home in the first leg.

Ah, I see, thanks Coleman.

You can see why I put that 'last time' disclaimer in brackets, knowing FIFA and UEFA.

-------------

Posted By: BannerGreen
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:06am

Cheers, makes planning flights even trickier. 

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:07am

My fear Dead

Do elaborate

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:11am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

My fear Dead

Do elaborate

No.

I was clearly being sarcastic. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:15am
Italy would surely have to play their home match in Rome or Milan. I know they like to rotate their fixtures but they seem to play their bigger games in one of those.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:15am

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

My fear Dead

Do elaborate

No.

I was clearly being a spastic. 

Clap

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Thanks

9/10/11 and 12/13/14

Last weekend was the first time at the Aviva.

Happened once in Croker in 2009.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/1005/910065-soccer-rugby-aviva/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/1005/910065-soccer-rugby-aviva/

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:30am
Please God let Portugal smash Switzerland tonight.

Denmark or Switzerland please

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:31am
How long after the draw will we know date and venue?

Can't be at home on the Saturday as has been said

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Please God let Portugal smash Switzerland tonight.

Denmark or Switzerland please

This.

Wouldn't be surprised if it does happen as well, it's been that sort of international break when just about everything we needed to go our way has done.

-------------

Posted By: LenBrennan
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:52am
Italian journo confirmed that Italy will use San Siro or Palermo depending on opponents.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Italy would surely have to play their home match in Rome or Milan. I know they like to rotate their fixtures but they seem to play their bigger games in one of those.
they played Spain in Turin. Cant see them plucking for Turin again though as the city hosted two matches in qualifying.

Wouldn't be surprised if they plucked for Sardinia. Something difficult and out the way for away supporters.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:10pm

they played Spain in Turin. Cant see them plucking for Turin again though as the city hosted two matches in qualifying.

Wouldn't be surprised if they plucked for Sardinia. Something difficult and out the way for away supporters.
Embarrassed Didn't know they played Spain in Turin.

Palermo would be a nightmare. I think the Italians know we would bring around 7,000 (figure plucked from thin air) so they might play it somewhere poxy alright.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: muscles
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:39pm

Why on earth would they do that? have they any history of doing so with crunch games and anyway i doubt they will be too worried about playing us

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:40pm
We're going too Croatia

I can feel it

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by muscles muscles wrote:

Why on earth would they do that? have they any history of doing so with crunch games and anyway i doubt they will be too worried about playing us

To deter Irish fans from travelling Confused

Italy are playing really poorly at the moment. They played the majority of their matches in easy to get places in the north of Italy. When they played us previously they arranged it for Bari. A not so easy place to get to. They'll not be taking any chances this time.

If the rumours are true regarding Milan and Palermo then I would bet my house we would end up playing them at the latter. The lack of direct flights will put off an element of fans.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

We're going too Croatia

I can feel it

Croatia would be manageable I think. Their form has been stuttering and they've even lost three matches this year, with lots of draws as well.

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:51pm
Portugal are the team I'd be most worried about getting due to CR7 as you'd have to assume he's get a goal or two over the two games.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Portugal are the team I'd be most worried about getting due to CR7 as you'd have to assume he's get a goal or two over the two games.

With any luck, Portugal will win tonight and take themselves out of the equation. Nobody in the play offs would want to be facing the current European champions.

Posted By: musicinmouth
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:55pm
Looking at results this year, Croatia seem good at home / poor away... 

I think Portugal would be the worst to get too.

Denmark > Switzerland > Croatia > Italy > Portugal

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:58pm
Javier doesn't know Ireland's history against Switzerland. Others don't realise that they have won every game in qualifying so far, just thrashed the third place side Hungary at the weekend. Who did we last thrash? Gibraltar.

Given all that, I would prefer to avoid Portugal and Switzerland, but the one to avoid at all costs is Italy. That would be the real deal, not the Lille team.

-------------
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Javier doesn't know Ireland's history against Switzerland. Others don't realise that they have won every game in qualifying so far, just thrashed the third place side Hungary at the weekend. Who did we last thrash? Gibraltar.

Given all that, I would prefer to avoid Portugal and Switzerland, but the one to avoid at all costs is Italy. That would be the real deal, not the Lille team.

The Portugal - Switzerland group is clearly very weak. The top two don't get to win every match in a group, not unless the four teams under them are useless. We should get a handle on how good Switzerland are this evening.

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 1:08pm
Switzerland are limited, over two legs we have every chance against them. Denmark the same. Croatia if they get their house in order would win comfortably IMO. Italy would be a nightmare- 1-0 home and away to them would be a certainty.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

I think last time they had the dates announced shortly after the draw.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

The draw iirc was at lunchtime and the dates/times were announced around 5pm. That was for the Euros so I'm not sure if FIFA will do the same.

-------------

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 1:33pm
Are Croatia being overrated here? Seems like they struggled in the group.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 1:36pm

Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

The draw iirc was at lunchtime and the dates/times were announced around 5pm. That was for the Euros so I'm not sure if FIFA will do the same.

It would have to be a few hours after the draw again surely, with only a few weeks notice.

-------------

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 1:42pm

Not overrated, but their superb technical skill really doesn't suit us whatsoever.

Despite Italy being a better team than Croatia, I think we'd have a better chance against the Italians.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 1:45pm

They're struggling overall. They have played 10 games so far in 2017 (including friendlies) and have won only four.

Posted By: muscles
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 1:45pm

Italy are playing really poorly at the moment. They played the majority of their matches in easy to get places in the north of Italy. When they played us previously they arranged it for Bari. A not so easy place to get to. They'll not be taking any chances this time.

If the rumours are true regarding Milan and Palermo then I would bet my house we would end up playing them at the latter. The lack of direct flights will put off an element of fans.

Which is why in their final qualifier for 2016 they needed to avoid defeat to Norway so to make things difficult they played the game in Rome LOL

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 1:47pm

Which is why in their final qualifier for 2016 they needed to avoid defeat to Norway so to make things difficult they played the game in Rome LOL
yes Norway, a team known for its massive away support

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net