Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=55659
Printed Date: 19 Mar 2024 at 6:05am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Chiedozie Ogbene
Posted By: Irish2011
Subject: Chiedozie Ogbene
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 4:42pm
In my opinion a future Irish star. Great pace and strength with loads of skill. I would be amazed if he is not in England within 12 months.

Replies:
Posted By: Dr. Pat
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 4:56pm
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/sport/football/1069003/chiedozie-ogbene-left-cork-city-for-limerick-as-he-was-not-happy-with-place-on-the-bench/amp/" rel="nofollow - https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/sport/football/1069003/chiedozie-ogbene-left-cork-city-for-limerick-as-he-was-not-happy-with-place-on-the-bench/amp/

First choice is Nigeria for him, as quoted in this article in May.

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 5:17pm
Bit early to be saying that yet but he has improved incredibly as the seasons gone on. McDonald certainly knows how to get the best out of him and I'm sure with his contacts in England Chiedozie will be over there in no time. If there's anything he could improve on it would be his strength.

Posted By: dubstep
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 5:23pm
Wants to play for Nigeria . End thread

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 6:02pm
He said his first choice is Nigeria, which is fair enough. Never says he wouldn't play for us though, and I can't imagine he'd turn down a call-up if we offered him one first.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

Wants to play for Nigeria . End thread
i doubt he would turn down an Ireland call up.

Posted By: pateen
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 1:09pm

Decent LOI player with potential.

I'm not sure if he is international standard but a player I wouldn’t mind seeing back in Cork.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 1:41pm
He comes from good Fianna Fail stock according to The Bull McCabe

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; -: initial; -: initial; -size: initial; -repeat: initial; -attachment: initial; -origin: initial; -clip: initial;">Decent LOI player with
potential.</span><span style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman",serif; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-:EN-GB"><o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">I'm not sure if he is international
standard but a player I wouldn’t mind seeing back in Cork.<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;"> </span>

<p ="Msonormal"><o:p> </o:p>

not yet bud has a chance in my opinion.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 10:48am
On trial at Chelsea. Played a game for their U23's.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 11:26am
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

On trial at Chelsea. Played a game for their U23's.

Great opportunity for him if true. He didn't feature in their u 23s game at the weekend.
http://us.soccerway.com/teams/england/chelsea-u23/37156/" rel="nofollow - http://us.soccerway.com/teams/england/chelsea-u23/37156/
Do you have a link for the story?

-------------
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 11:28am

So if he does sign for Chelsea, then what happens? He hopes for a loan move to a league one/two side?

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 11:38am
It's 100% true that he's on trial with them, not sure what game he played but he played as a trialist apparently. Looking likely that he'll be signed very soon aswell. Limerick get a nice bit of money anyway as he has over a year left on his contract. You'd imagine he'll be loaned out for the next few seasons but very good news nonetheless.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 11:41am

It's 100% true that he's on trial with them, not sure what game he played but he played as a trialist apparently. Looking likely that he'll be signed very soon aswell. Limerick get a nice bit of money anyway as he has over a year left on his contract. You'd imagine he'll be loaned out for the next few seasons but very good news nonetheless.

Good for him. Very talented lad and has the self belief to have a good career in England.

-------------
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 12:23pm
Serious strength, improved a lot during the course of the season. 

-------------
Touts Out!

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 1:13pm
Nigeria will be straight into him if he signs for Chelsea, they're quick off the mark when it comes to eligible players.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 1:20pm
I thought I read somewhere that Ogbene would prefer Nigeria to Ireland so that would be my thinking as well. Could be wrong, would be a very strange move if Chelsea were in for him.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 6:01pm
Will be training with Brighton and Ipswich this week

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Will be training with Brighton and Ipswich this week
Never knew they all trained together.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: greenmachine68
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 6:03pm
Never seen him play. Is he good? Don't think he was prolific last season.

-------------
theres only one tony grealish

Posted By: Scissors Kick
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by greenmachine68 greenmachine68 wrote:

Never seen him play. Is he good? Don't think he was prolific last season.

He has good days, good enough to be noticed by Chelsea level good, and he has days where he doesn't get going, but he finished the season consistently in the side at Limerick and started adding end product more often, be it assists or goals & did begin to look very impressive at times, direct and skillful carrier of the ball, a defenders bad day. If he does what he can do week in week out, his stage will be a bigger one than LOI offers, definitely. 

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 8:54pm
How he has not been called up by Ireland under 21's is beyond me.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

How he has not been called up by Ireland under 21's is beyond me.

He identifies Nigerian primarily, and to be fair was clear on that before any of this attention came on him, think he moved here through his fathers work when he was 12 (could be wrong, going from memory) but if he had both to pick from, it wouldn't be us, last time he spoke on the matter anyway, but you would hope its been made very clear to him the door is open and he is very welcome to come in at the very least & please God he will.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 10:50pm
Hit and miss at the start of the season but ended the season excellently, our biggest attacking threat and scored some cracking goals. Best player in our side by a country mile along with Hery last year. He has never been approached for our U21s AFAIK. And I'm nearly certain he said a couple of months back that he'd never turn down a call up for Ireland. Stoke also showed a lot of interest in him so no doubt he'll end up somewhere over there soon.

Posted By: AbuAbu
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:32am
saw him play a couple of games. has a look of adeybyor/kanu about him. looks like he's barely moving yet others can't get near him. very strong and skillful. i'd say he has huge potential and could go a long way if he works hard. 

-------------
It's not me it's you:-)

Posted By: gmfc90
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:36am
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

saw him play a couple of games. has a look of adeybyor/kanu about him. looks like he's barely moving yet others can't get near him. very strong and skillful. i'd say he has huge potential and could go a long way if he works hard. 

Is he a goalscorer or one who'll hold it up?

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Is he a goalscorer or one who'll hold it up?

More a pick it up, get turned and tear you a new one type.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 3:54pm
It’s a bit strange that Ogbene could go to Chelsea at age 20 and still not have any underage caps at any level. Not a great indictment of the U19 or U21 set ups, especially with our dearth of forward talent in his age group.

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:06pm
What sort of social media messages should Chiedozie Ogbene expect from our resident forum racists? 

i) Vilification because he wants to play for Nigeria, or 
ii) Sarcastic praise for not "contaminating" the Eire international scene with any more "blackness", in the way Cyrus Christie apparently did?

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:12pm
I don't know many people who'd have an issue with Ogbene lining out for Ireland, nor many who'd begrudge him playing for Nigeria; especially considering he appears to have been mostly overlooked by the FAI. You'll always get a few knuckle-draggers, but they pale into insignificance compared to the decent-minded fans.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I don't know many people who'd have an issue with Ogbene lining out for Ireland, nor many who'd begrudge him playing for Nigeria; especially considering he appears to have been mostly overlooked by the FAI. You'll always get a few knuckle-draggers, but they pale into insignificance compared to the decent-minded fans.

TBF he has said Nigeria are his first preference so maybe that's partly why. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

That's bad form after he being developed by Nemo Rangers GAA club here in Cork.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

That's bad form after he being developed by Nemo Rangers GAA club here in Cork.

He said the Nigerian GAA team weren't up to much so he'll stick with Ireland for that

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

It’s a bit strange that Ogbene could go to Chelsea at age 20 and still not have any underage caps at any level. Not a great indictment of the U19 or U21 set ups, especially with our dearth of forward talent in his age group.
it's an absolute joke ogbene hasn't been called up. Took a decent cork team to the cleaners bout 8 weeks ago.

Posted By: Jocky Wilson
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:13pm
Let's not be codding ourselves. He plays for Limerick, not exactly a big club like.

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:25pm

it's an absolute joke ogbene hasn't been called up. Took a decent cork team to the cleaners bout 8 weeks ago.

He may not be available to us at present is all, it's not a closed door but read below, its Nigeria first.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/1069003/chiedozie-ogbene-left-cork-city-for-limerick-as-he-was-not-happy-with-place-on-the-bench/" rel="nofollow - https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/1069003/chiedozie-ogbene-left-cork-city-for-limerick-as-he-was-not-happy-with-place-on-the-bench/

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

He may not be available to us at present is all, it's not a closed door but read below, its Nigeria first.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/1069003/chiedozie-ogbene-left-cork-city-for-limerick-as-he-was-not-happy-with-place-on-the-bench/" rel="nofollow - https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/1069003/chiedozie-ogbene-left-cork-city-for-limerick-as-he-was-not-happy-with-place-on-the-bench/

Says that he's waiting for the call, "Be it from Ireland or Nigeria." 

He's a decent player from what I've seen of him this season. We should call him up to the under-21's.

Even if Nigeria is his first choice, they probably aren't aware of him. If he's in and around our youth squads then there's a good chance that he might favor us if he does ever become good enough to represent either nation as a full international. 

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

He is 100% available to us. He has made it clear he would never say no to a call up from Ireland or Nigeria.

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:30pm

He is 100% available to us. He has made it clear he would never say no to a call up from Ireland or Nigeria.

You cannot say that, not to a certainty. 

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:42pm
Lads on this taking a quote for sun newspaper as gospel

Posted By: AbuAbu
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:03am
Only one way to find out.

We need to experiment a bit between now and next set of proper games so would be no harm having a look at him. Be it u21 or senior.

As far as strikers go we need to gamble a bit on youth. We have an opportunity now. Probably a few ahead of him in Q. Need a right look at hogan and McGuire. Probably other young lads as well but cannot think of too many strikers.

A cap, even against Oman, may help him get the move he needs to develop. Obviously not near level required yet but maybe it's time we used international games to help kick start payers careers. Especially when they are strikers!

-------------
It's not me it's you:-)

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 1:00am
As Ogbene has said, he's open to both. It would appear he simply hasn't been approached, which is quite the oversight on the FAI's part considering we don't produce a huge amount of naturally talented strikers.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:26am
Is this lad really going places? Has he done enough for a 21's call up?

I think we need to calm down a bit. 

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:28am

If Ogbene wants to be considered for Ireland then he absolutely should be included in the u21's. 

He has been very impressive every time I've seen him play. He is a strong athletic lad with a super build, has quick acceleration and can strike a ball well. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 10:02am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

He’s a very talented player and appears to have a good attitude too - he left Cork for Limerick as he wasn’t happy with the game time he was getting, which is a ballsy move for a young lad.

I’d be hopeful that he makes it over in England at some level.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 3:26pm

more than enough from what I've seen.

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 3:49pm

Fair enough. Most of the boys in the 21 squad are in England yeah? Do they call up many from here?

1 in last squad I think 

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 3:52pm

Fair enough. Most of the boys in the 21 squad are in England yeah? Do they call up many from here?

1 in last squad I think 

I'd much prefer to see a lad who is tearing it up in the LOI get a shot in the underage Ireland set up than a fella who is doing well at academy level in the UK

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 3:52pm
Has he scored many goals at Cork and Limerick?

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 4:02pm
Scored plenty for Limerick in the second half of the season.. it's a joke Noel King hasn't called him up

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

It's worth noting that he has played mainly on the wing when I've seen him. A lot of lads seem to think that he is a centre forward. He has the build to be a decent no.9 IMO

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 4:41pm

Got very little game time at Cork. But to be fair looked very impressive against AS Roma in the uefa youth league a couple of seasons ago.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: Jocky Wilson
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Got very little game time at Cork. But to be fair looked very impressive against AS Roma in the uefa youth league a couple of seasons ago.

He got no tike because he doesn't pass the ball and keeps diving.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 6:20pm
Villa and Brentford leading the chase it seems: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-chelsea-chiedozie-ogbene-14138632" rel="nofollow - http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-chelsea-chiedozie-ogbene-14138632

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 5:34pm
Looking very likely Ipswich will sign him, but talks of no deal being done till July. Ipswich also have Barry Cotter on trial.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 7:11pm
Deal reached between Limerick and Brentford believed to be €250k so Ogbene's on his way there. Barry Cotter expected to be snapped up by Ipswich also.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 9:57pm

Deal reached between Limerick and Brentford believed to be €250k so Ogbene's on his way there. Barry Cotter expected to be snapped up by Ipswich also.
that would be a decent enough fee. The english clubs are really looking over here lately for bargains.

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 4:17pm
This guy is incredibly talented. Can see him making a massive impact in the Championship. The more games he plays the better he will become. I'm going to put it out there right now, he will be a star for Ireland in years to come if he we tie him down!

Is Mick McCarthy signing Cotter? Jaysus LOL

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

This guy is incredibly talented. Can see him making a massive impact in the Championship. The more games he plays the better he will become. I'm going to put it out there right now, he will be a star for Ireland in years to come if he we tie him down!

Is Mick McCarthy signing Cotter? Jaysus LOL

Is Cotter any good?

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 4:56pm
He's the Neymar lookalike, isn't he?

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 5:00pm
Ya Cotter is the Neymar looking lad. Well he used to be a couple of years ago when he had the longer hair. I don't want to be particularly mean to the young fella, but I have no idea what Mick McCarthy is on if he's signing him at Ipswich. I don't think he'd get on any first division LOI side except as a filler.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 12:59am
Having seen almost every game he played last season Cotter is honestly nowhere near good enough to even be playing LOI and I think the whole city is baffled by the move. He really shouldn't be anywhere near the squad and has a stinking attitude. Maybe he'll prove everybody wrong but I'd be absolutely shocked.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 11:00am
Transfer to Brentford completed

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 11:19am

Straight into the first-team squad appearantly.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Has to start against Turkey.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 11:29am
If he plays a few games for Brentford between now and then, no reason why he shouldn't be called into the squad.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 11:36am
I would like to see about 8 or 9 new faces in the squad for the Turkey game, rather than the usual old, wrong side of 30, tried and tested players.

Nothing to lose in giving new lads a chance.

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 12:01pm

I would like to see about 8 or 9 new faces in the squad for the Turkey game, rather than the usual old, wrong side of 30, tried and tested players.

Nothing to lose in giving new lads a chance.

The ranking points kid, the points!

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 12:15pm

Ogbene should be able to get up to speed with the physicality of the Championship pretty quickly. He is very strong and quick. I'm backing him to succeed over there. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 12:21pm
This fella's name reminds me of a player who played for Gillingham a few years ago. He scored a wonder goal one week and I remember they called him an Irish striker. Osadebe or something? Haven't heard of him since.

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 12:30pm

This fella's name reminds me of a player who played for Gillingham a few years ago. He scored a wonder goal one week and I remember they called him an Irish striker. Osadebe or something? Haven't heard of him since.

Emanuel Osadebe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Osadebe" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Osadebe

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 12:56pm

Just released by Cambridge United and signed for Newport on a free, made his debut there the weekend before last as a substitute. I'm not sure if he was involved against Spurs. He seems to be a talented lad but there are questions over his attitude.

-------------

Posted By: Fozzy B
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:14pm
if he hits the ground running at Brentford, Nigeria will probably call him up for their pre world cup friendlies.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:15pm
Isn't it still pretty much 50/50 in regard to will he either play for us or Nigeria?

Are there any guarantees that Ogbene will accept a call up if he's asked?

I know there was an article on him some time ago but I wonder what his thoughts are now. 

The logical thing to do would be to invite him into a training camp with the seniors, I think naming him in a full squad might be a little too much too soon. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:19pm
It is still 50/50 but Ogbene has came out and said he would never reject a call up from either side. Now if us and Nigeria tried to call him up at the same time that would be a different story.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:28pm

It is still 50/50 but Ogbene has came out and said he would never reject a call up from either side. Now if us and Nigeria tried to call him up at the same time that would be a different story.

Now more than ever African countries are exploring all avenues in regard to widening their player pools, so now is the time to act if we want to make Ogbene will be playing for Ireland.

Personally, I'm not a fan of just capping dual nationality players for the sake especially young players!

I feel a call up should be earned, but I would have zero issue with Ogbene getting asked to link up to the senior team to train and sure if he impresses brilliant get him involved for the next game.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I know you're ripping the p*ss but I really expect this lad to kick on hugely. If he can get regular game time at Brentford he will get better and better. I can see him tearing it up in the Championship next season. It's a long time since I've seen a young Irish player with his ability to skin people and leave them for dead in the way he does. He's still a bit raw but you can see the more minutes of league action he plays, the better and more clinical he's becoming. He did the right thing in moving from Cork for that reason.

On the Nigeria/Ireland thing, I think it's first come first served. Unless he's getting game time soon, obviously can't call him straight into the Irish squad for Turkey game. I would love to see him at least go with the training squad though. These are the kind of situations Ireland need to get right going forward to tie players down. Imo, the nations league is the perfect competition to do such a thing and it's an awful shame MON is the man there for this opportunity.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:31pm

I know you're ripping the p*ss but I really expect this lad to kick on hugely. If he can get regular game time at Brentford he will get better and better. I can see him tearing it up in the Championship next season. It's a long time since I've seen a young Irish player with his ability to skin people and leave them for dead in the way he does. He's still a bit raw but you can see the more minutes of league action he plays, the better and more clinical he's becoming. He did the right thing in moving from Cork for that reason.

On the Nigeria/Ireland thing, I think it's first come first served. Unless he's getting game time soon, obviously can't call him straight into the Irish squad for Turkey game. I would love to see him at least go with the training squad though. These are the kind of situations Ireland need to get right going forward to tie players down. Imo, the nations league is the perfect competition to do such a thing and it's an awful shame MON is the man there for this opportunity.

I've often see him play 3 or 4 times, my thoughts exactly but you could see with the right coaching and the exposure of playing with/against better players he has plenty of potential to push on.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:32pm

A call up to the under-21’s and perhaps a training camp with the senior squad could be a good shout.

Ogbene arguaby should have been called up to the Under-21’s last season.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:41pm

I've often see him play 3 or 4 times, my thoughts exactly but you could see with the right coaching and the exposure of playing with/against better players he has plenty of potential to push on.

I know I'm seen as a bit of a grammar Nazi on here, a badge I wear with honour, but there has to be some sort of standards! I mean, how often have you 'see him play 3 or 4 times"?

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:43pm

Agree with you, seen almost every game he played last season and I've genuinely never seen a player improve and develop so quickly, was a completely different player by the end of the season and rang rings around the cork defense twice. Was a joke he never got called up to the U21's 

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:51pm

Just released by Cambridge United and signed for Newport on a free, made his debut there the weekend before last as a substitute. I'm not sure if he was involved against Spurs. He seems to be a talented lad but there are questions over his attitude.

He was loaned to Newport, not released.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:55pm
Obafemi and Ogbene will lead the Nigerian attack in this years world cup

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:07pm
With Shodipo and Afolabi on the wings.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:14pm

He was loaned to Newport, not released.

You are correct, apologies. He is persona non grata at Cambridge either way, that has been made clear.

-------------

Posted By: Jason Kelly
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:15pm
Ogbene will never be good enough to play international football for Ireland.

He goes down if someone looks in his direction. Any referee of International standard wouldnt tolerate his antics.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Jason Kelly Jason Kelly wrote:

He goes down if someone looks in his direction. Any referee of International standard wouldnt tolerate his antics.

So does Neymar and he is doing alright at it!

-------------

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:19pm

So does Neymar and he is doing alright at it!

Barry Cotter loves a dive!

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:31pm

Aren't you the same fella who said "And fellas in the stand shouting Go Back To Africa. I don't condone it but its hardly racism either." about the abuse ogbene got in the cross

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:41pm

I'd say your basing your opinion on him as he is black and has an African name Clown

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:41pm
@pm, I meant only not often!

Talking on the phone and typing on here obviously didn’t go to plan

-------------

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:45pm

That's a prerequisite for a top class player now! 

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:51pm

@pm, I meant only not often!

Talking on the phone and typing on here obviously didn’t go to plan
No worries GD!

In fairness, from what I have seen of Ogbene, he does like a dive!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:53pm

Aren't you the same fella who said "And fellas in the stand shouting Go Back To Africa. I don't condone it but its hardly racism either." about the abuse ogbene got in the cross

So?

What has that got to do with his abilities?

He is a decent player but Irish international? No chance.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:57pm
On Ogbene diving, I'm not really sure where that comes from? Any decent winger who regularly takes lads on will get loads of frees awarded to him when nudged or pushed etc. while at full pace. I would actually say the opposite, Ogbene could have had far more impact in LOI games last year if the refs hadn't consistently let players hack at him. The amount of games where players hacked him down, and didn't receive a yellow until the 3rd or 4th cynical foul on him was comical.

The Championship is a real grind of a league, but if Ogbene gets game time regularly in the future, you'd expect the referees to be a small bit better and that will stand to him when he's taking defenders on.

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:58pm

Because Duffer always stayed on his feet LOL

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Duff won Premier Leagues.

This guy couldn't get a game in the LoI with Cork City

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:08pm
Not really relevant to your point though is it.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:11pm

Duff won Premier Leagues.

This guy couldn't get a game in the LoI with Cork City

I'd go as far as to say that if Cork signed him now, he'd be by far and away their best player. There's a reason why Brentford are signing him. He was a young fella when leaving Cork, and was smart enough not to wait around and maybe get some game time there. Really intelligent thing to move to a club where he was guaranteed minutes. Now look where that's got him and he's still a player with plenty of improvement in him if coached well.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:12pm

Not really relevant to your point though is it.

Of course it is.

How can you compare a Premier League winning Club to f**king Brentford ffs. Brentford.

Just call up some random British fella like McGeady if were stuck. Ogbene wont be good enough

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net