Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 6:07pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why are England NOT the best
Posted By: Gary McKay
Subject: Why are England NOT the best
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 10:52am
Carrying on from the Germany thread.

Here's one opinion ;

http://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/07/03/jobs-for-the-boys-the-rampant-cronyism-within-the-english-game/" rel="nofollow - http://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/07/03/jobs-for-the-boys-the-rampant-cronyism-within-the-english-game/

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Replies:
Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 11:04am
Mentality
Technique
Media

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 11:13am
number of players playing for top clubs, compare say the Squad for Euros from Germany and England

6 of the English Squad played for Title winning teams

14 played for Title winning teams in German. (OK over half of them were with Bayern Munich)

1 of the English squad has a Champions League winners medal

9 won a Champions league in German, one has just won his 3rd

Point I'm making they all play at a higher level then England.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/10725849/premier-league-has-highest-percentage-of-foreign-players-8211-uefa-report" rel="nofollow - http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/10725849/premier-league-has-highest-percentage-of-foreign-players-8211-uefa-report

Also the above link has a lot to do with it too, in a way Brexit is probably the best thing to happen to English Football since 1966 as teams may be forced to play young English Players.

The English go on about their victorious u20 Team winning the World Cup, how many of those will go on to gain full caps?

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Mentality
Technique
Media

Massive one. They always go into tournaments under so much pressure due to the media making them out to be World beaters.

Even when they don't start out as it they usually end up being talked about as a favorite once they win a game.

Also the way the media conspired to oust a manager who while doesn't play pretty football could well of done wonders with them because he is a good motivator and sets teams up well but nope they got him fired.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

The English go on about their victorious u20 Team winning the World Cup, how many of those will go on to gain full caps?
This.

But may change. In the past clubs refused to let established young players play at underage tournaments whereas other countries see it as vital for their development and their 'tournament experience'.

PS - Liverpool won the Double in 1986 and they didn't have a single player in the England squad at Mexico'86.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 12:42pm

Mentality
Technique
Media

Massive one. They always go into tournaments under so much pressure due to the media making them out to be World beaters.

Even when they don't start out as it they usually end up being talked about as a favorite once they win a game.

Also the way the media conspired to oust a manager who while doesn't play pretty football could well of done wonders with them because he is a good motivator and sets teams up well but nope they got him fired.
Yep Media for me also LOL

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 12:43pm

Mentality
Technique
Media

Still can't see this word without hearing it in Trap's accent.Will this ever stop? Smile

They often make terrible choices of manager :

Southgate (incredibly uninspired, son of Hodgson)
Allardyce (have a feeling he would have done really well, now we'll never know)
Hodgson (yawn)
Capello (didn't seem to give much of a flying fcuk bar collecting his over-inflated salary
Mcclaren (Complete clown)
Ericksson (competent but no more,lots of time chasing skirt for a man who looks like a bank manager)
Keegan (so bad he sacked himself)
Hoddle (Not bad but too weird)
Venables (Very good then sacked for possible off field shenanigans)
Taylor (completely out of his dept, got the job much too early) 
Robson (good but took him a long time and luck to get it right, not many would have got so much time)

That's their last 11 managers going back to 1982. An awful lot of bad choices among them.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 12:47pm
Because they are technically inferior and mentally way off the pace.

Plus you have eejits spouting this sh*te about how you cant prepare for penalty shootouts when they inevitably go out at that stage. It's the most backward thing I have ever heard of in my life. 

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 12:53pm
Capello missed his sons wedding to watch England play a friendly match.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 1:00pm
They only ever win when there is a Labour PM in situ.....

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Capello missed his sons wedding to watch England play a friendly match.

What a dope.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Mentality
Technique
Media

Still can't see this word without hearing it in Trap's accent.Will this ever stop? Smile

Hodgson (yawn)
Capello (didn't seem to give much of a flying fcuk bar collecting his over-inflated salary
Ericksson (competent but no more,lots of time chasing skirt for a man who looks like a bank manager)
Robson (good but took him a long time and luck to get it right, not many would have got so much time)

That's their last 11 managers going back to 1982. An awful lot of bad choices among them.

Michael Bassett MBE

-------------

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 1:05pm
There is no single reason why the England NT regularly underperforms on the world stage - if there were, then someone would fix it.

Instead, there are a variety of reasons, with commentators invariably picking on the one or two which correspond most closely to their own preferences and prejudices.

But aside from the technical explanations like Manager, tactics, tough domestic season, overseas players in the EPL, FA incompetence etc, there is one overriding factor which it seems to me to get overlooked.

Namely, not enough people in the game are bothered by this situation - if they were, they'd do something about it!

If you look at the clubs, the EPL clubs simply don't care, indeed are often actively hostile to England eg for taking "their" players away from them. Hence they are reluctant to release players, or re-aarange fixtures etc.

Then there are the players. At best, many players feel they can't win (both senses of term) when playing for England, so "rationalise" it by making excuses, or concentrating on their club. And at worst, many don't give a stuff - they're millionaires who are on a pedestal with their club, so why bother with England? (Why am I suddenly thinking of Rio Ferdinand?)

Look at the managers. For English-born managers, the NT is no longer the pinnacle of their career, so the job doesn't attract the best. And foreign-born managers eventually lose whatever motivation they might have had, with the likes of Erikksen and Capello only staying on for the money.

And the FA? Far too many "blazers" who enjoy their freebies and overseas trips too much to rock the boat, and no accountability for the executives. For example, after London won the 2012 Olympic bid, the Sports Minister of the time went to the FA, who were due to bid for WC2018, and offered to help them out. The FA didn't want to know, insisting they knew better... In any other country, if the FA failed so miserably, the snubbed Government would have had their revenge pretty damned quick, but not England, where there are no votes to be had either way.

Above all, there are the fans. The most patriotic have been ground down by repeated failure. But more importantly, the majority simply don't care enough, otherwise they'd be marching on Westminster with flaming torches and pitchforks every two years!

And why is this? Simply, if you asked the average fan whether they'd like to see their team win the League, or England win the World Cup, 90% would say the former.

And until enough people throughout the game care enough to demand changes, then the necessary changes (which aren't rocket science btw), will not happen.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Namely, not enough people in the game are bothered by this situation - if they were, they'd do something about it!
The FA did, in 1990/91, producing the 'Blueprint for Football' wrestling power from the Football League and set up the Premier League in 92.

The PRIMARY function of this was to aid/support the National Team.
The plan was to reduce the league to 18 clubs and introduce a winter break.

None of this happened and as we know Sky took over.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 1:21pm
Managers picking Neil Webb ahead of Glenn Hoddle and Gordon Cowans ahead of Paul Gascoigne.
Little things like that.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

The FA did, in 1990/91, producing the 'Blueprint for Football' wrestling power from the Football League and set up the Premier League in 92.

The FA had a choice - either recognise the new EPL, or face a breakaway by the leading clubs, who would be completely independent outwith the existing structures of the game.

The FA bottled it, the clubs took note, then proceeded to do whatever they liked, with no reference to the FA, or any promises made previously.

Meanwhile, whether you like it or not, the EPL has been a huge "success" (in their own terms, that is), indeed it can be said to be the world leader in its field.

Which leads to another factor I failed to mention in my previous post. If you look at any of the Owners/Chairmen/Chief Execs who have been genuinely successful at an EPL club down the years, how many ever wanted to leave and take up a similar post within the FA? I can't really think of many, even from amongst the English ones!

I mean there have been some who tried, like eg Greg Dyke, Mark Palios and Rick Parry, but how did they do? And where are they now?

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Managers picking Neil Webb ahead of Glenn Hoddle and Gordon Cowans ahead of Paul Gascoigne.
Little things like that.
True, but more a symptom of failure than the root cause (imo).

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 2:52pm

The FA had a choice - either recognise the new EPL, or face a breakaway by the leading clubs, who would be completely independent outwith the existing structures of the game.

The FA bottled it, the clubs took note, then proceeded to do whatever they liked, with no reference to the FA, or any promises made previously.
True - Liverpool, Everton, United, Arsenal and Spurs  were the Big 5 clubs that led the charge and the others rowed in behind. Promises were made and soon forgotten regarding the National Team.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 3:05pm

Little things like that.
When I saw the England team sheet in Stuttgart with Sansom instead of Pearce, Webb instead of Hoddle and Waddle instead of Stevens, I knew we had a chance.

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 4:15pm

Little things like that.
When I saw the England team sheet in Stuttgart with Sansom instead of Pearce, Webb instead of Hoddle and Waddle instead of Stevens, I knew we had a chance.

Waddle and Stevens both played, they played in different positions. I think you meant Trevor Steven.
"Magic Chris" was absolutely class though, although he had to leave England to be properly recognised as such.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 4:28pm

Mentality
Technique
Media

Hodgson (yawn)

Their media have destroyed their ability to get managers, they went all out to get Capello, I think he was the highest paid manager in the world at the time, but the damage had been done by the 'fake Sheikhs' and Sven. As the bigger clubs upped their managerial salary, why would anybody want to take the England job and have their credibility destroyed? Allardyce, who got the job as he was the only viable English candidate, proved this. Southgate has only got it by the two sweetest words in the English language; default.

I don't think they have always made the right or wrong choices, some of them have been good managers and many seemed, at the time of appointment at least, to be good choices, the problem is one of continuity. There seems to be a constant ripping up of the script and starting again for the senior team and not enough links with their underage squads. Even at the moment, when their teams have had a remarkable year at underage, you find yourself wondering how Aidy Boothroyd, straight from the 1970's, has developed these lads for future tournaments. He is a young Howard Wilkinson!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Little things like that.
Waddle and Stevens both played, they played in different positions. I think you meant Trevor Steven.
"Magic Chris" was absolutely class though, although he had to leave England to be properly recognised as such.
Yes, I obviously meant Trevor Steven (Everton) who played on the right which is where Waddle played and not Gary Stevens (Everton) who played right full.

IMO Steven at that time was the best right-sided midfielder in England, much better than Waddle.
Houghton was probably the second best.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 4:53pm
England went to Euro92 without a right full.

Lee Dixon and Gary Stevens were injured prior to the tournament.

Keith Curle and David Batty played right full in two of the games.

In the other Taylor played 3 centre backs with Carlton Palmer as sweeper LOL

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 4:55pm

This.

But may change.

PS - Liverpool won the Double in 1986 and they didn't have a single player in the England squad at Mexico'86.

What?!

That's mental how Liverpool didn't have even one player in the England squad after winning a double.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 5:00pm
How many regular English starters did they have that season? One or two? I assume they had Grobelaar, Nicol, Hansen, Lawrenson, Whelan, Molby, Dalglish and Rush playing regularly and I have probably missed one or two.
What year was it they fielded a team of non-English players? 87?

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

This.

But may change.

What?!

That's mental how Liverpool didn't have even one player in the England squad after winning a double.

Yeah but they hardly had any English players.  Can't think of any.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 5:40pm
The team that won the double by beating Everton at Wembley had no English player, Steve McMahon was on the bench and the Aussie Craig Johnston was eligible, I think he had a B cap. I can't find the league game where they first did it, it was certainly around this time.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 5:50pm
All true enough, but even when England did pick players from successful Liverpool teams, it still did them no good, eg:
"The most players Liverpool have ever had in an England team was the six who faced Switzerland in Ron Greenwood's first match in charge in September 1977. Clemence, Phil Neal, McDermott, Hughes, Kennedy and Callaghan all started in the goalless draw."

A goalless draw...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/five-liverpool-fc-players-set-6774183" rel="nofollow - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/five-liverpool-fc-players-set-6774183

https://www.11v11.com/matches/england-v-switzerland-07-september-1977-234393/" rel="nofollow - https://www.11v11.com/matches/england-v-switzerland-07-september-1977-234393/

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 5:56pm

All true enough, but even when England did pick players from successful Liverpool teams, it still did them no good, eg:
"The most players Liverpool have ever had in an England team was the six who faced Switzerland in Ron Greenwood's first match in charge in September 1977. Clemence, Phil Neal, McDermott, Hughes, Kennedy and Callaghan all started in the goalless draw."

A goalless draw...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/five-liverpool-fc-players-set-6774183" rel="nofollow - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/five-liverpool-fc-players-set-6774183

https://www.11v11.com/matches/england-v-switzerland-07-september-1977-234393/" rel="nofollow - https://www.11v11.com/matches/england-v-switzerland-07-september-1977-234393/

Brian Clough should have been given the job in 1977 when he was at the height of his genius instead the clowns gave it to the ultimate FA yes-man. 

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 6:03pm

A goalless draw...

So even in the late '70s and '80s, English football's top teams were kept there by technically superior foreigners like Arnold Muhren, Ricky Villa, Ossie Ardiles, Frans Thijssen, John Robertson,Tommy Gemmell,John Toshack, Kenny Dalglish, Steve Heighway and Ken McNaught?

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 6:32pm

The team that won the double by beating Everton at Wembley had no English player, Steve McMahon was on the bench and the Aussie Craig Johnston was eligible, I think he had a B cap. I can't find the league game where they first did it, it was certainly around this time.

Correct.
4 Jocks
3 Paddies
1 Dane
1Aussie
1 Welsh
1 Zimbabwean

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 6:44pm
I thought Arry would have done a good job had he been given it in 2012.  First thing he would have done is got Nico Krancjar a fake English passport

-------------

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 7:00pm
Who cares?

If this lot were successful I'd have to move to the moon.

Could you imagine Sky Sports News/Gary Lineker/Clive Tyldesley etc if they won a trophy?

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Who cares?

If this lot were successful I'd have to move to the moon.

Could you imagine Sky Sports News/Gary Lineker/Clive Tyldesley etc if they won a trophy?

I admit to getting annoyed by Tyldesley, the worst type of little Englander, but even I know I can mute him. Lineker seems quite likeable and SSN has just been a parody of itself for a long time now, although I haven't seen it since my last time in Ireland. Is it still a staple of Irish pubs for no apparent reason? I don't think you would have to move anywhere.
The reaction in Ireland and Scotland would be far worse, everyone would be going on about how much the English would be going on about it.

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 9:01pm
Bump...

Cleaning up at underage level this year. The latest achievement see's them crowned World Champions at u17 level this evening.

The question now is will they be able to transfer this unbelievable talent into the senior side over the next few years and lift a major trophy.

I take it what we are seeing is the fruits of their labour from St George's???

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 9:12pm
To think they won the Final today without Sancho who is an exceptional talent! 

There was a great point made this evening in regard to Steve McManaman, he won his first England under 21 cap before he even played for Liverpool's first team and this was a common theme for years an years in England.

Take a quick scan through England's under 21 squad now and it's radically changed to where the vast majority of these players are starting regularly for their parent clubs or being loaned out to sides in The Championship.

They came 3rd this year in the under 21 tournament and only lost to Germany on penalties, so the penny has finally dropped. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: raclle
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

They came 3rd this year in the under 21 tournament and only lost to Germany on penalties. 
Nothings changed so LOL

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 1:00am
It would seem they are starting to be seeing the benefits of the major overhaul of their system with St. George's Oark being the crown jewel. The clean up they have don't this year would suggest they could be building toward a World Cup challenging team.
Their current lot are a far way off but maybe in 5 years or so.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 9:42am
Only 3 white lads.

With Brexit and 'foreigners out' this pool of talent will eventually dry up.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 10:07am

Only 3 white lads.

HB come on please .
Next you will be saying people not born here are not Irish , think about . Evil Smile

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Only 3 white lads.

HB come on please .
Next you will be saying people not born here are not Irish , think about . Evil Smile

think it was a bit tongue in cheek CM

the success will likely go to their heads , that will get/or get taken on by  a big fancy agent who will promptly dump them in a few years as they don't make the breakthrough/be a success and slide down the leagues before ending up in a newspaper article  20 years hence 'where are they now'

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 5:41pm

Only 3 white lads.

HB come on please .

What I am saying is that England have benefited massively because of emigration in all aspects of sport and beyond....the vast majority voted for Brexit because of immigration.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Terzino
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 7:37pm
Their senior team has become everything they used to criticise in continental teams.

Dodgy goalkeepers. They play tippy-tappy football that goes nowhere. They lack any kind of fight and don't like it up 'em. And when the pressure comes on they buckle.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 9:04pm

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 11:10am
If Phil Foden can't make the breakthrough at City then they may as well close up that academy

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 3:26pm

Only 3 white lads.

Sweet Jesus!

Are people even counting these things these days?

In any case, half of those black players are Afro-Caribbean  and the other half mixed race and since they themselves are most likely 3rd generation, it means their grandparents came to the UK before we were even in the EU.

Or are you still getting your info about Britain from watching old episodes of 'Love They Neighbour'? Confused

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Only 3 white lads.

HB come on please .

the success will likely go to their heads , that will get/or get taken on by  a big fancy agent who will promptly dump them in a few years as they don't make the breakthrough/be a success and slide down the leagues before ending up in a newspaper article  20 years hence 'where are they now'

It happened straight after the final whistle!  Look at the way during the presentation ceremony the entire squad wore their shirts backwards so that their name and number would be in all the photos.

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Only 3 white lads.

HB come on please .

It happened straight after the final whistle!  Look at the way during the presentation ceremony the entire squad wore their shirts backwards so that their name and number would be in all the photos.

Grab a hold of yourself there ffs Confused

They are all only kids! Imagine winning a World Cup at 16 or 17 years of age thousands of miles away from home, the excitement of it all.....

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 2:09pm

Only 3 white lads.

HB come on please .

They are all only kids! Imagine winning a World Cup at 16 or 17 years of age thousands of miles away from home, the excitement of it all.....

Odd then that we've never seen any team of any age group celebrate like this, ever.  Previous kids don't like excitement, then?

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 2:12pm

Only 3 white lads.

HB come on please .

Odd then that we've never seen any team of any age group celebrate like this, ever.  Previous kids don't like excitement, then?

How many u17 world cup presentation ceremonys have you watched before?

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 2:29pm

Only 3 white lads.

HB come on please .

No end of pictures of previous presentation ceremonies with a simple Google search.

But I guess you're all right, let them enjoy themselves.  Goodness knows that was the high point of their entire professional careers.  All downhill from here.

How many u17 world cup presentation ceremonys have you watched before?

A simple Google search bring up no end of picture of victorious underage World Cup winning team celebrations.  But having just won a World Cup, strangely none of thme feel the need to further big themselves up. 

But you're right, let the kids celebrate.  After all it will be the highpoint of their footballing careers. it's all downhill from here.  Most will be lucky to make appearances at middling Premier League clubs, let alone win senior international honours

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 2:49pm

Only 3 white lads.

HB come on please .

Is there a standard way to celebrate now? Confused

The simple fact is many posters on here find it impossible to give England any credit in just about everything sport related.

How petty is it to have to bring up how a group of kids celebrate in order to try and discredit England LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 3:47pm
It is a possibility with kids that they will lose the run of themselves though, especially in England where they are superstars and overpaid as soon as they get their first professional deal. I don't think it is bitterness or sour grapes or anything like that to suggest it. Many English fans I have talked about the result to have said similar.
Some are also perturbed about the coach being Welsh, not that they have a problem with that, more the lack of adequate English coaches.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 4:29pm
They've done well with a number of their underage teams this year. Whether they've won world championships or got to the final or semi finals. Its bound to start bearing fruit sooner or later for the senior team. All the players from these teams can't have bad attitudes and believe they've made it and get carried away with their own success. There's bound to be at least a handful will go on to be top players.

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 4:35pm

They've done well with a number of their underage teams this year. Whether they've won world championships or got to the final or semi finals. Its bound to start bearing fruit sooner or later for the senior team. All the players from these teams can't have bad attitudes and believe they've made it and get carried away with their own success. There's bound to be at least a handful will go on to be top players.

I agree, but the question is whether it will be enough to break the '50 years of hurt' or not and only time will tell really. They certainly have done all that can be done at underage level, but it isn't a question of them all having just  bad attitudes, there are a whole host of reasons that they might not fulfil their potential, particularly the under-17s.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 10:20pm
Raheem Sterling, Dele Ali, Harry Kane, Harry Winks, John Stones, Trippier, Marcus Rashford etc all performing very very well in the Champions League.

Chris Smalling part of Man United defence to only concede once in the CL thus far, Walker settling in very well for Citeh too! 

The same heights haven't been hit by The Ox, Hendo etc but the emergence of Joe Gomez and Trent Arnold is encouraging from an English perspective!

No, I'm not talking England up about winning the World Cup next year but after a fairly lean period we are seeing English players performing consistently in the CL, obviously transferring that to the International stage is always the tester.

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 11:45am
Ingerland had 11 under 24 players playing in the champions league this week.

In comparison Germany had 12 and Spain & Belgium had 7.
France had the most with 16.

Things are probably on the way up but still don't see them winning anything.
Haven't they only won 5/6 knock out games since 1966.

I think Sven consistently got them to par. 1/4 finals which is the level they were at.

-------------

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 12:08pm
Winks was phenomenal last night.
But Southgate doesn't have the balls to drop his captain Henderson for him.

Pinocchio nose is the weakest link in that setup, he doesn't have the balls to make any brave decisions.

Posted By: Floreat Ultonia
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 12:10pm
England knock-out wins in competition since 1966

2006 Ecuador 1-0
2002 Denmark 3-0
1996 Spain 0-0 (4-2 pens)
1990 Cameroon 3-2
1990 Belgium 1-0
1986 Paraguay 3-0

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

England knock-out wins in competition since 1966

2006 Ecuador 1-0
2002 Denmark 3-0
1996 Spain 0-0 (4-2 pens)
1990 Cameroon 3-2
1990 Belgium 1-0
1986 Paraguay 3-0

Thanks for replying to previous poster.

Another way of looking at their Finals record.

1950 USA, Spain defeats [Spain reached Final]
1954 Uruguay 4-2 defeat
1958 Undefeated in Tournament [Drew 0-0 with Brazil, who became World Champions]
1962 Brazil 3-1 defeat who became World Champions [lost to Hungary in groups but went through]
1966 Undefeated in Tournament became World Champions
1970 West Germany lost aet [Lost to Brazil in 1st Rd Groups but went through, who became World Champions]
1982 Undefeated in Tournament [Drew with West Germany, who became World Champions]
1986 Argentina 2-1 defeat, who became World Champions
1990 West Germany defeat on penalties aet, who became World Champions
1998 Argentina defeat on penalties aet
2002 Brazil 2-1 defeat who became World Champions
2006 Portugal defeat on penalties aet
2010 Germany 4-1 defeat
2014 Italy, Uruguay defeats in 1st Rd Group.

From 1954 defeat by Uruguay to 2010 Germany, England either won the thing, didn't lose, didn't get knocked out over 90 minutes or they came up against the winners of the Tournament.  It's only very recently there's a down-turn in the quality of their final opposition (still includes Germany though).

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 1:17pm
the 'England to win the world cup' campaign kicked off earlier than expected on the back of spurs win. get ready for eight months of utter tripe media propaganda

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 1:23pm
Tammy Abraham being called up for the 2 friendlies.

I rate him alot since I saw him at Bristol. A proper old school stay in the 6 yard box poacher.
England really haven't had one since Owen?

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

Assume you mean Final Group (of 4) where Spain drew with Uruguay, lost to Sweden 3-1 and got hammered by Brasil 6-1.

Scotland were undefeated in 1974, its happened a few times.

We got to the QF's in 1990 and didn't win a game.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 5:01pm

Assume you mean Final Group (of 4) where Spain drew with Uruguay, lost to Sweden 3-1 and got hammered by Brasil 6-1.

That's right the Final.

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 9:56am

That's right the Final.
Final Group NOT the Final Game.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 11:44am

That's right the Final.
Sure, but the last two matches kicked-off at the same time.  Spain was one of the teams so they were part of Final Round, Group and Game(s).  I'm not going to exclude them nor Sweden.

This is a conversation about England and Spain advanced out the 1st round group England was in into the Final round.  Spain played in three of the last 6 games of the Final Round.  The structure of the Tournament allows that.  Brazil, Spain, Sweden and Uruguay were all part of the Final.

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 11:54am

That's right the Final.
Sure, but the last two matches kicked-off at the same time.  Spain was one of the teams so they were part of Final Round, Group and Game(s).  I'm not going to exclude them nor Sweden.

This is a conversation about England and Spain advanced out the 1st round group England was in into the Final round.  Spain played in three of the last 6 games of the Final Round.  The structure of the Tournament allows that.  Brazil, Spain, Sweden and Uruguay were all part of the Final.
I know we're kind of agreeing.
Yes it was a Final round but not an actual final between two teams.

The attendance at the Sweden-Spain game was 11000.
The attendance at the Uruguay-Brasil was 200,000.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 9:34am
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/18804/11150477/choose-your-england-world-cup-squad-for-russia-2018" rel="nofollow - http://www.skysports.com/football/news/18804/11150477/choose-your-england-world-cup-squad-for-russia-2018

Pick your England Squad

Bar Kane they have a shocking panel to choose from

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 9:48am
I wouldn't call Alli, Walker, Rose, Rashford, Sterling and Stones shocking players

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 10:00am

I wouldn't call Alli, Walker, Rose, Rashford, Sterling and Stones shocking players

He's probably still not at 100% to be fair to him but he's been really poor since he came back from injury. Looks way off the levels he reached in recent seasons.

Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 10:07am
bbc have a column on Gordon banks saying that hart is terrible and butland should be no.1. I do agree that hart is sh*te, but I think banks is showing his bias towards stoke just a little bit

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 10:27am

Would this be roughly their best XI?  I'm sure you could argue over 3/4 players but the core would be 
Walker / Stones / Cahill / Sterling / Alli / Kane / Rashford

B Foster
Walker, Stones, Cahill, Rose
Winks , Sterling , Alli, Lallana
Rashford, Kane

Where would that team finish in the Prem.....  I would think outside the top 4 and thats the issue.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 10:27am

Butland and Pickford should both be ahead of Hart.

He's finished

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 10:38am
Yeah I don't think Shilton is showing any great Stoke bias by proclaiming Butland the better goalkeeper. The only issue is that injuries have hampered his development. Hart has been poor for a while now - had a terrible Euros, bad season at Torino and now part of a very poor West Ham side.
He'll be first choice again for the World Cup but he should probably only be making the squad as third choice.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 10:44am
Still baffles me that West Ham plumped for Hart over Randolph

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 10:55am
At least Randolph got out to Boro. If Randolph was the no 1 at West Ham there still wouldn't be much hope for them as a team and would do much for the confidence.
Wouldn't think that England supporters would be too happy if their no 1 keeper had just been relegated coming into a World Cup.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Would this be roughly their best XI?  I'm sure you could argue over 3/4 players but the core would be 

B Foster
Rashford, Kane

Where would that team finish in the Prem.....  I would think outside the top 4 and thats the issue.

Ben Foster Pickford and Butland are miles ahead of the pack and you opt for him!

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 11:01am
They’ve a decent first 11 but lack depth.
On the goalkeeper issue, and I think you’ve to bring 3 to a tournament, so I go Butland, Pickford & Forster.
Hart is finished.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 11:36am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

B Foster
Rashford, Kane

Ben Foster Pickford and Butland are miles ahead of the pack and you opt for him!

Okay Bad choice Embarrassed would Tom Heaton not be an option.

None of them would make a top 6 club so I just see them all as being lower premiership team standard.

-------------

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 11:52am
Tough job that, bar a few the midfield options aren't great
Bit of craic though so I went with

Butland
Foster
Pickford

Rose
Walker
Stones
Bertrand
Cahill
Smalling
Gomez
Dier

Drinkwater
Sterling
Henderson
Winks
Lingard
Alli
Lallana
Delph

Rashford
Vardy
Sturridge
Kane

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 12:01pm
They actually have the guts of a decent team. It's central midfield that is their Achilles' heel though - bar Alli they look really weak there compared to most other positions.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 12:09pm
They really need a kind draw or they aint getting out of the group.

-------------

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

They actually have the guts of a decent team. It's central midfield that is their Achilles' heel though - bar Alli they look really weak there compared to most other positions.
Very true. When you see the list of players it really stands out

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 12:29pm

They really need a kind draw or they aint getting out of the group.

They'd be extremely unlucky to not get at least one sh*t sh*t team and two teams that are capable of finishing ahead of them. QF is the limit I feel they can achieve. I predict a second round elimination for them. I'd fancy ourselves to get out of a World Cup group.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 5:28pm

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/18804/11150477/choose-your-england-world-cup-squad-for-russia-2018" rel="nofollow - http://www.skysports.com/football/news/18804/11150477/choose-your-england-world-cup-squad-for-russia-2018

Pick your England Squad

Care to back up this statement? Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 6:54pm

Pick your England Squad

Care to back up this statement? Confused

It's my opinion. I'll agree Alli, Walker are decent players but compare that list of players to the likes of Germany, Brazil, Spain, France,Argentina it's not great.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 7:33pm
If we had any one of the majority of that English squad we’d be raving about them.
People saying we’d definitely get out of the group had we got Denmark’s group, and England have a shocking squad is a bit deluded IMO

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 8:41pm
Ffs Lass

They qualify for most major tournaments with little fuss. We are 1 out of 3 at best.

We do nothing but big up our achievements even if we win one match. After Austria away last year we completely got ahead of ourselves and yet we bitch and moan if the English media display any of the same confidence/arrogance.

Total hypocrisy on our part.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 11:39pm

Ffs Lass

They qualify for most major tournaments with little fuss. We are 1 out of 3 at best.

We do nothing but big up our achievements even if we win one match. After Austria away last year we completely got ahead of ourselves and yet we bitch and moan if the English media display any of the same confidence/arrogance.

Oh shut up you tart

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 12:12am

Ffs Lass

Oh shut up you tart

Didn't you live in England at some stage Mr Bitter?

And by the way, is there any part of my post that isn't true?

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 1:17am
Its all true, just dont be a tart 😆.

Yes HM will be kindly paying me a pension when I retire.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 2:02am
Steven Gerrard on 5live tonight with one of the great old chestnuts "We have to remember that for everyone who plays England it's their world cup final." Embarrassed

The discussion then goes on to how playing Poland or Colombia in the last 16 will be a virtual bye through to the quarterfinal. It's like Iceland never even happened.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 2:17am

Steven Gerrard on 5live tonight with one of the great old chestnuts "We have to remember that for everyone who plays England it's their world cup final." Embarrassed

The discussion then goes on to how playing Poland or Colombia in the last 16 will be a virtual bye through to the quarterfinal. It's like Iceland never even happened.

In Panama's case it could be true. It's not often accountants get to play a match against who they're helping become the biggest tax dodgers in the country.

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 8:17am

There's a cernal of truth in times gone by there for some of the weaker teams - seem to recall their game in wc2008 can't mind who it was against they won 1-0 crouch scored despite clearly fouling the defender

At final whistle half a dozen practically run towards Beckham to swap shirts - freckin pathetic - they were beat before they took the pitch

Actually that's opposite

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 11:24am

There's a cernal of truth in times gone by there for some of the weaker teams - seem to recall their game in wc2008 can't mind who it was against they won 1-0 crouch scored despite clearly fouling the defender

At final whistle half a dozen practically run towards Beckham to swap shirts - freckin pathetic - they were beat before they took the pitch

Actually that's opposite

That's a kernel, World Cup 06 and Trinidad and Tobago.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 3:15pm

Actually that's opposite

That's a kernel, World Cup 06 and Trinidad and Tobago.

Why did England have to play two teams at the same time? Blatter

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 12:41am
England beat T&T 2-0 in 2006 WC.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 7:07am
EPL No1 for attendance figures last season.
The championship was No3 ahead of La Liga and Italian league.
League one was actually No.9 on the list.

The money in the English game is there but it’s definitely club before national team.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 8:10am

EPL No1 for attendance figures last season.
The championship was No3 ahead of La Liga and Italian league.
League one was actually No.9 on the list.

The money in the English game is there but it’s definitely club before national team.

Would say Newcastle attributed to a good % of that St. James Park was near 52k every week last season I think 47-48000 was the lowest attendance they had during the season

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 10:41am
According to Worldfootball.net, usually a good source of attendance figures, the average attendance per game is slightly higher so far this season. Newcastle's figures have been balanced out by the promotions and relegations, particularly Sheffield United replacing Rotherham.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net