Forum Description: Qatar n' all in anyways
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=55439
Printed Date: 11 May 2024 at 12:44am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Russia Accomodation
Posted By: kevincronin2000
Subject: Russia Accomodation
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 12:06pm
Large group of us all booked up for russia, all group matches covered with free cancelation the amount of times appartments tried to cancel as they didnt realise it was world cup dates when taking the bookings but to be fair to booking.com in some instances they found us similar accomodation at the cost of the original booking when apartments cancelled the original booking.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Replies:
Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 12:15pm
Ffs

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Ffs
Fail to prepare, Prepare to fail. lol

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 12:35pm
Only fools Russian...

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Only fools Russian...
LOL

-------------

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 12:50pm
How do you know what cities etc to book in?

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 1:17pm
Book them ALL

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

How do you know what cities etc to book in?
Good question considering there's 11 cities to choose from...LOL

He's bound to have come up with some sort of a route though, and I'm guessing Moscow is one of the main ones.

Wonder how many of those hotel bookings he'll actually have kept by the time they do set off. LOL

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 1:34pm
Been looking at doing the same the past week, a lot of effort though especially as I have no idea of exact numbers going. Looking like there are plenty of cheap ways to get there also.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 2:33pm
What's the cost of accommodation, ballpark ?

And what is an overall estimate for travel, accommodation and group games, again roughly ?

And how could I forget - the price of a pint ?

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 2:42pm
Last two tournaments I booked fairly early but when we qualify for Russia I'll just book what I need when we know where we are . There was feck all in the price when I booked France the night we qualified up until 8 weeks before hand . And we were only guessing and hoping what venues we should book . So I'll be more cautious when booking up this time

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 2:44pm
I thought I was being clever booking French cities before the draw but my Bordeaux hotel wanted a lot more money when I tried to reduce the booking.   In the end we compromised on double the rate for the nights I wanted.

Hotels are great value in Moscow anyway.

I've booked Moscow on free cancellation.  I will probably use Moscow as a base anyway if we qualify.  If we don't  I will go anyway and use Moscow as a base.  

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 2:53pm
I cant see the mad rush that there was with France/Poland

Its going to take a fair bit of research  but it would be a nice problem to have

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 3:23pm
basically we split the groups between 3 of us, 3 nights in each host city 2 for the third round of games.
The prices vary from group to group and city to city but we have nothing booked thats over €38 per person per night. Mixtue of apartments / hostels and 2* hotels.

-------------

Posted By: Lostandfound
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 3:29pm
Scarily well organised.  Keep your eye on your bank balance as some so called 'free cancellation' bookings try to pull a fast one. 

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Lostandfound Lostandfound wrote:

Scarily well organised.  Keep your eye on your bank balance as some so called 'free cancellation' bookings try to pull a fast one. 

used a debit card with feck all in it.

-------------

Posted By: Lostandfound
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Originally posted by Lostandfound Lostandfound wrote:

used a debit card with feck all in it.

Good strategy! 

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

I cant see the mad rush that there was with France/Poland

Its going to take a fair bit of research  but it would be a nice problem to have
That's what I was thinking, a lot of bandwagonners who were tripping over themselves to get to France last year won't fancy going to Russia for various reasons (that they see anyway) - eg resident hooliganism, different language and culture even from the rest of Europe, harder to get to compared to France and Poland etc etc etc... 

Still not 100% certain about it myself yet tbh but as you say, I'd prefer us to at least have that decision to make at the end of the year... Wink

-------------

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Last two tournaments I booked fairly early but when we qualify for Russia I'll just book what I need when we know where we are . There was feck all in the price when I booked France the night we qualified up until 8 weeks before hand . And we were only guessing and hoping what venues we should book . So I'll be more cautious when booking up this time

It's ok for the larger cities as there is loads of accommodation options but places like Saransk has very little available even at this early stage

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 4:31pm
Booked accom St. Petersburg for all dates we could possibly have group stage games games there, going to do the same with Moscow and think I'll be grand holding off on the rest for a while. So many apartments right in the city centre that are extremely cheap.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 7:48am
If we don't qualify now it's all your fault hope you are happy - )

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Hickster74
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 8:36am
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Booked accom St. Petersburg for all dates we could possibly have group stage games games there, going to do the same with Moscow and think I'll be grand holding off on the rest for a while. So many apartments right in the city centre that are extremely cheap.

We'd be likely third seeds, right? So A3, B3 and E3 for st Petersburg?

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

They draw for position in the group, it's not a seeding

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

They draw for position in the group, it's not a seeding
Correct, the only positions you can write off getting in any of the group is no. 1 (for the seeded team which we certainly won't be).

-------------

Posted By: Hickster74
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:22am

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:49am
Lads , Cart and Horse  !!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

It's ok to dream

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:56am
How is Siberia? Getting some poor reviews on Tripadvisor.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: shakeyshamrock
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

How is Siberia? Getting some poor reviews on Tripadvisor.

that's cold

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:09pm

Where are they running can't seem to find them ?

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

It's ok to dream
+1, you need something like this to keep the morale up even if it does look like you're getting ahead of yourself. Besides, if we do qualify, we'll be more prepared and better able to plan our trips than the pessimists. Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: craiglen
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 7:35pm
Booked a Brussels - Moscow direct flight on the day before the opening game for 67 quid.

Just in case!   

-------------
Fan's game record: 5 Caps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 140 km covered

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by craiglen craiglen wrote:

Booked a Brussels - Moscow direct flight on the day before the opening game for 67 quid.

Just in case!   

Last two tournaments I booked way ahead . 1st time wasn't too bad as we were spinning around Poland in the camper . France was booked a fair bit in advance and circumstances had me change my itinerary so I'm gonna hold back but for that price I'm tempted

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 9:53pm

Just in case!   

Wright brothers airlines ?

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 11:23pm

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 11:37pm

Just in case!   

Even if we qualify our 1st match may not be for 6 days after that by which time you'll have spent closer to 670 quid on spending money and accommodation

Posted By: shakeyshamrock
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Just in case!   

Even if we qualify our 1st match may not be for 6 days after that by which time you'll have spent closer to 670 quid on spending money and accommodation

You can also go to a world cup to see other teams playing. 

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 12:21am
Bump )

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 12:48am
Just go and support the north instead.

Posted By: Old Gill
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 6:56am
Whats the chances of Ryanair doing the same return flights as they did for Poland and France(if we qualify of course)? And how much were they last time?

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Old Gill Old Gill wrote:

Whats the chances of Ryanair doing the same return flights as they did for Poland and France(if we qualify of course)? And how much were they last time?

Ryanair have been in negotiations with the Russian government for over 6 months about buying up time slots into the country . It's not as simple as it is to buy up slots from other countries and it's very diplomatic . But they are putting in the ground work to make it happen should we qualify

Posted By: Old Gill
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 11:48am
That's good to know. They were fairly expensive going to France so God knows what they'd charge to Russia

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 4:04pm
Some of the prices for Moscow have rocketed

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 4:07pm
Got a few emails in the last few weeks week about paying a fraction of my booking for different apartments so be wary Smile

Posted By: dohallor
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 4:18pm
You won't necessarily need Russian flights. Helsinki to Russia on the train is only 5 hours for St Petersburg and 10 for Moscow. Kaliningrad is hosting games and thats beside Poland.  You will needs flights for the other venues though.

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 4:34pm
The mayor of Kaliningrad has asked locals not to hit visitors next year but have a friendly chat instead.  LOL

-------------

Posted By: PanamaHat
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 7:08pm

The mayor of Kaliningrad has asked locals not to hit visitors next year but have a friendly chat instead.  LOL

Tough spot to fly into! Only via Minsk as far as I can see

Posted By: PanamaHat
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by dohallor dohallor wrote:

You won't necessarily need Russian flights. Helsinki to Russia on the train is only 5 hours for St Petersburg and 10 for Moscow. Kaliningrad is hosting games and thats beside Poland.  You will needs flights for the other venues though.

Train for WC dates currently 100€ plus to Petersburg.

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by PanamaHat PanamaHat wrote:

Tough spot to fly into! Only via Minsk as far as I can see

or fly to Gdansk and get a bus.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by PanamaHat PanamaHat wrote:

Originally posted by dohallor dohallor wrote:

Train for WC dates currently 100€ plus to Petersburg.

The trains haven't properly gone on sale yet. Those are, effectively, touted prices you're looking at. Tickets don't go on sale until 84 days beforehand.

-------------

Posted By: keith11
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 9:46am
What is the VISA situation for this ?  Normally to stay in Russia more than a few days you needed an 'invite' from the hotel to accompany a VISA application.   Have the Russians said how this is going to be handled and if you would be treated differently with tickets as opposed to those travelling without ?

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 9:56am
No visa requirements for ticket holders. Standard process for non ticket holders.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 10:22am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

No visa requirements for ticket holders. Standard process for non ticket holders.
Correct, you apply instead for a Fan ID card which you use to get into and out of the country and to access the stadiums and fan zones. 

http://welcome2018.com/en/fan_guide/fan-id-and-football-tickets/fan-id/" rel="nofollow - http://welcome2018.com/en/fan_guide/fan-id-and-football-tickets/fan-id/

-------------

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 10:37am
No harm having it more straightforward. 

For the game in 2011, I had to post my passport to the Russian embassy in Dublin and hope that they would return it!

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 10:58am
For Moscow in 2008, I flew to Riga and drove to Moscow with a lash of United fans. Some f**king laugh. Horrendous roads. 

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 11:01am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

For Moscow in 2008, I flew to Riga and drove to Moscow with a lash of United fans. Some f**king laugh. Horrendous roads. 

Some drive that

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Some drive that

Unbelievable 

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 12:27pm

Some drive that

Unbelievable 

Cans?

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

No harm having it more straightforward. 

For the game in 2011, I had to post my passport to the Russian embassy in Dublin and hope that they would return it!

It was the same for Kazakhstan, except it had to go to London. It was back inside a week.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 2:26pm

Some drive that

Unbelievable 

Cans?

Haha not until I got there, I was trying to help the driver stay focused. We did it in one sitting like. Was insane. So I was up the front wired thinking we were going to die.

Posted By: larraga
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 5:27pm

Some drive that

Unbelievable 

Cans?

Pussies.

The distance from Riga to Moscow is approx. 550 miles.

The previous two times that we've played in Copenhagen, we drove from Rosslare.

Approx 350 miles from Fishguard to Dover & 550miles from Calais to Copenhagen....

13 of us in a 3 seater Lite Ace.

Some Craic.

Posted By: finbarrk
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 8:35pm
Sounds like torture larraga.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 11:26am
Originally posted by finbarrk finbarrk wrote:

Sounds like torture larraga.

This was before the advent of Ryanair.

We all lived near Rosslare. Got over cheap, few cases of beer, great Craic. Went to all games like that including Stuttgart 88 like Jockser. 
So it wasn't torture finbarrk, it was enjoyable, we rarely won away, even to score a goal was a bonus.

Great times, wouldn't give them up.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 11:35am
So was 1 fella sober the whole way or how did ye work it? Or was he supping on as well?

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 7:57am
One guy didn't drink, all he wanted to do was ride.

On one occasion . we arrived in Hoek van Holland after an 8 hour overnight booze cruise from Harwich and there was no sign of our driver, so one of the lads who was drinking most of the night said he'd drive off and meet the designated driver at the Terminal. We were stopped at check point and police bagged him but miraculously he passed breath test. On the same sailing two brothers from North Wexford failed the test and were detained for 10 hours and fined £250.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:38am
Originally posted by larraga larraga wrote:

One guy didn't drink, all he wanted to do was ride.

On one occasion . we arrived in Hoek van Holland after an 8 hour overnight booze cruise from Harwich and there was no sign of our driver, so one of the lads who was drinking most of the night said he'd drive off and meet the designated driver at the Terminal. We were stopped at check point and police bagged him but miraculously he passed breath test. On the same sailing two brothers from North Wexford failed the test and were detained for 10 hours and fined £250.

Was on the Hull to Rotterdam ferry a few years ago and same story, docked at 7 am and at the bottom of the ramp off the boat was a checkpoint. No idea how we got through it as we were up with a hen party till all hours the night before.
Drove on to Kristianstad in Sweden that day, over 950km

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:40am
I'd say there will be some Irish who will drive to Russia next summer . The above trips from the 80s sounded some craic . No GPS , Mobile Phones , Emails , Forums , Joe.ie . Justs cans with the lads and the open roads

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:56am

I'd say there will be some Irish who will drive to Russia next summer . The above trips from the 80s sounded some craic . No GPS , Mobile Phones , Emails , Forums , Joe.ie . Justs cans with the lads and the open roads

From here? I very much doubt it. Let's just say for arguments sake we are in Moscow. Like it was roughly about 17 hours for us with Border control (which was a complete f**king nightmare) from Riga. Imagine doing that before you even get to Riga or wherever. It's a lot of driving. You would be f**ked. And it's also going to be a shared effort or 1 solo designated driver which is hard to come by. 

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:06am

From here? I very much doubt it. Let's just say for arguments sake we are in Moscow. Like it was roughly about 17 hours for us with Border control (which was a complete f**king nightmare) from Riga. Imagine doing that before you even get to Riga or wherever. It's a lot of driving. You would be f**ked. And it's also going to be a shared effort or 1 solo designated driver which is hard to come by. 

€40 flights to Riga in June, 900km drive from there. Easy

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:13am

You'd nearly want to go now if you're driving from Ireland to Russia LOL

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:22am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I'm not saying there will be an influx or convoy of Irish in campers but there will be a few headers who will take a month off and drive it

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:25am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

€40 flights to Riga in June, 900km drive from there. Easy

I'm telling you now, I will be looking at that option. Back in 08 I wasn't driving at all. We were horsing the roads. Shades chasing us in a LADA, remember them? LOL

We had to slow down to bribe them so they would piss off. I promised I would never go back, an awful country with horrendous poverty. But this is a World Cup and sure you just don't know if we will be back. 2002 is a far bit away now like. I hear St. Petersburg is nice. But Moscow is a sh*t hole, unless they have given the place a makeover since I've been there. 

I think lads who haven't been will genuinely be shocked, it was like I was in a time machine. 

Let's get over Denmark now first. I would never jinx it by booking now.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:27am

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I'm not saying there will be an influx or convoy of Irish in campers but there will be a few headers who will take a month off and drive it

Anyone who does that for Russia needs their head examined

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:10am
Given the distances involved flights to Russia are quite reasonable.

I just checked skyscanner and there are flights for less than 300 euro return.  Driving makes no sense at that price even with 4 in a car.  You have to factor in fuel, tolls and wear and tear etc.  

This is actually an accessible World Cup.  Even if we don't qualify it is a chance for those who want to experience a World Cup.  

It will probably be 2034 before it comes back to Europe again.    

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:22am
Could you imagine irish lads in a camper van plastered in eire colours rocking up in some town. The local hooligans will make a bee line for it

-------------

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:26am
Spent a week in the city of Voronezh which is about 6 hours from Moscow,the roads there are worse than anything ive seen in rural Ireland.

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:29am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I just checked skyscanner and there are flights for less than 300 euro return.  Driving makes no sense at that price even with 4 in a car.  You have to factor in fuel, tolls and wear and tear etc.  

This is actually an accessible World Cup.  Even if we don't qualify it is a chance for those who want to experience a World Cup.  

It will probably be 2034 before it
comes back to Europe again.

Depending on what happens with Qatar of course. If it's taken off them. Only viable replacement options are Germany,England or The US

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:34am

Great times indeed but I wouldn't go overland to Russia, not even back in the 80's. I still remember the stink in the van, socks, beer and we used to smoke when travelling as well.

Posted By: Darraghn92
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

It will probably be 2034 before it
comes back to Europe again.

Depending on what happens with Qatar of course. If it's taken off them. Only viable replacement options are Germany,England or The US

England could also be bidding for the 2030 WC

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 11:19am

It will probably be 2034 before it comes back to Europe again.    

Will be back in Europe once Qatar is stripped. 

*** Saw Irwins post. Short notice would have to be Europe

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 11:56am
Time will tell but I'm not too concerned re a hooligan threat in Russia.  I believe Putin will want this World Cup to be a great success and to showcase Russia to the world.    I think any attempts by hooligans to attack fans would be severely dealt with and frowned upon by the authorities.  I am aware of what happened in Marseille but I don't believe that Putin was too upset over that.  

I think the terror threat is real and a concern but that is the same for Dublin or Westport.    

I'm not convinced Qatar will be stripped of the World Cup.  

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-09/uae-official-urges-qatar-to-give-up-world-cup-to-end-crisis" rel="nofollow - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-09/uae-official-urges-qatar-to-give-up-world-cup-to-end-crisis

As per the above they may have to give it up.  However I don't believe FIFA could risk stripping it from them.  Who knows what might come out if the Qataris had nothing to lose?  I also believe China or Australia could host it at short notice.  

2026 is nailed on for North America.  

There is a very strong case for the centenary World cup to go back to Uruguay.  This would be co-hosted with Argentina and possibly Paraguay and/or even southern Brazil.  I really hope they do get it.  

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:00pm
Link doesn't work 

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:05pm

Link doesn't work 

should do now

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:15pm

Time will tell but I'm not too concerned re a hooligan threat in Russia.  I believe Putin will want this World Cup to be a great success and to showcase Russia to the world.    I think any attempts by hooligans to attack fans would be severely dealt with and frowned upon by the authorities.  I am aware of what happened in Marseille but I don't believe that Putin was too upset over that.  

I think the terror threat is real and a concern but that is the same for Dublin or Westport.    

I'm not convinced Qatar will be stripped of the World Cup.  

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-09/uae-official-urges-qatar-to-give-up-world-cup-to-end-crisis" rel="nofollow - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-09/uae-official-urges-qatar-to-give-up-world-cup-to-end-crisis

As per the above they may have to give it up.  However I don't believe FIFA could risk stripping it from them.  Who knows what might come out if the Qataris had nothing to lose?  I also believe China or Australia could host it at short notice.  

2026 is nailed on for North America.  

There is a very strong case for the centenary World cup to go back to Uruguay.  This would be co-hosted with Argentina and possibly Paraguay and/or even southern Brazil.  I really hope they do get it.  

Argentina and Uruguay announced a few months back they would be bidding and Paraguay were included in the bid just two or three weeks ago. They're the only confirmed bids so far

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/fifa-world-cup/story/3220545/argentina-uruguay-paraguay-announce-plan-to-make-joint-bid-for-2030-world-cup

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:20pm
I don't care if I'm in a wheelchair or bed bound I'll be going to South America for the 2030 WC should they be successful.

It would have the makings of one of the great World Cups.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:25pm
They have a great case for it too being the centenary of the 1930 WC in Uruguay

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:29pm
Sure Putin sent a load of thugs to France if rumours and BBC reports are to be believed

-------------

Posted By: flaghunter
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 4:28pm
I see a match ticket acts as a visa during the world cup.
What is the earliest I can arrive and latest I can leave on this "fans visa"?

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by flaghunter flaghunter wrote:

I see a match ticket acts as a visa during the world cup.
What is the earliest I can arrive and latest I can leave on this "fans visa"?

You need to buy at least one official ticket.  Then you need a Fan ID.  you can then enter visa free from ten days before the tournament to ten days after it.  

http://www.fan-id.ru/help.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.fan-id.ru/help.html

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:15pm
Was I dreaming or did I hear that transport in Russia will be free once you have match tickets?

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:18pm

Was I dreaming or did I hear that transport in Russia will be free once you have match tickets?

3rd class - 3 days from Kaliningrad to Sochi. At least 36 cans, 2 batch loaves and a 12 pack of Hunky Dory's..

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:36pm
We did 9 hours from Bucharest to Chisinau. What a session. I tell you, we cleaned out every shop / garage of cans for the whole trip. Bags of cans everywhere. What were the quality cans we were drinking I hear you ask. Ursula "UrSus"

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

3rd class - 3 days from Kaliningrad to Sochi. At least 36 cans, 2 batch loaves and a 12 pack of Hunky Dory's..

I spoke to a couple of people who used it during the Confederations Cup and it was fine.  Obviously not for Sochi to Kaliningrad but for some routes it would be ideal.  Overnight trains and savings on hotels etc.  

You will need to book your trains though.   

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:57pm

Was at a fan embassy meeting in July around the world cup. At that point Ukraine were looking likely to qualify. At that meeting were some Russian fan embassy people and I believe one is highly involved in the setup for the world cup. I asked the question how safe would visitor's to Russia be and fan safety in general. At this point the Ukrainians beside me asked can they give any guarantees to them that they would be safe while in Russia(I also asked about Polish etc), the response was they can guarantee your safety in the grounds itself. So I asked again what about in the cities and their reply again was we can guarantee your safety in the stadium.

So then further asked as like Poland / France we all love staying in a town/city close to the host city so asked how safe they would be and again was told you'll be safe in the stadium they did say it would be safer staying in host cities than off the beaten track places but to be honest, like G says I can't envisage much trouble, sure we were all warned off Polish hooligans etc and nothing happened (bar a few skirmishs between them and other fans), France we were warned of terror threats but nothing happened so for me I'd say, go, be friendly and it will be reciprocated, be a dick and it'll be reciprocated.

In short if going have a bit of cop on and common sense on how to mind/behave yourself

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 6:04pm

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

I spoke to a couple of people who used it during the Confederations Cup and it was fine.  Obviously not for Sochi to Kaliningrad but for some routes it would be ideal.  Overnight trains and savings on hotels etc.  

You will need to book your trains though.   

The free trains used will be specific for fans. Not squeezed away in some carriage at the back packed in like something we've seen from India etc .

You need your fan id to avail of these and be booked in advance. They will only go between host cities as far as I know so if looking to make other trips you'll have to sort and pay for those yourself. It will require a degree of planning for what trains you get to suit your needs.

When I mentioned about Kalingrad it was like I was the only person in a room of about 30 people that knew Kalingrad is not a joined part of Russia and you have to cross through or over another country to get there so they couldn't give me any specific answers about visa's etc for there but did mention one interesting point that I need to follow up on before posting any detail.

I did have further questions I was to send to the organisers but sort of forgot to follow up on this so far but one question I was going to ask was about segregation in the trains etc.

If anyone has any other questions about them fire them up and I'll add them to my list

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 6:29pm
Are they guaranteed to be third class, as in open bunks, on the fan trains?

There's also a rumour they're dry trains and they won't allow booze at all...

If they're going to be open bunks, I would definitely be tempted to book a normal train in second class.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Are they guaranteed to be third class, as in open bunks, on the fan trains?

There's also a rumour they're dry trains and they won't allow booze at all...

If they're going to be open bunks, I would definitely be tempted to book a normal train in second class.

Haha dry trains, yes I was told that and burst out laughing, they may say they're dry trains (think most trains in Russia are) but we're an ingenious lot for getting drink wherever we want.

I will ask about the type of train. As I was led to believe these trains are specifically for football fans and general public won't be allowed on them. If that is the case then I'm also making the assumption they are like the trains recently shown on the recent BBC documentary series where Simon Reeves travelled Russia (think its called Russia). The trains on that show had carriages for what looked like 4 people with bunk beds above the seats. As the train expert SD I'm sure you'll know better what the types of trains are in Russia

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 6:43pm
There are generally three classes:

1st class has compartments with 2 beds per compartment, and locking doors

2nd class has compartments with 4 beds per compartment, and locking doors

3rd class is open plan and has bunks only, with curtains for privacy, and no locking doors

The fans trains are, I think, only for football fans, so they shouldn't be stopping at intermediate stations. They may well be direct / non-stop, bar maybe the odd stop to change crews or locomotives or whatever. However, they could also just be carriages attached to normal service trains: if that's the case, they'll stop in the same number of places.

There are a lot of questions, anyway. I'd like to know from someone who was at the confederations cup.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 7:56pm
Those who applied for tickets in phase 1 may see pending charges on their credit cards.  

Note I strongly suspect charging is only at the early stages so I wouldn't be too concerned yet if no charges. 

I have a pending charge for just under half of my application.  Obviously no idea yet what games I did/didn't get.  I know of others who applied for games that will be easy to get and no charges yet.  

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:01pm
Did you apply for individual games or Ireland TST tickets?

Edit: I only applied for Ireland TST3 Cat2 tickets. No pending charge yet that I can see.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net