URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=55372
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 1:40am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: World Cup Qatar 2022
Posted By: wicklowrunner
Subject: World Cup Qatar 2022
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 9:39am
Interesting developments

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0605/880353-gulf-states-qatar/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0605/880353-gulf-states-qatar/

Replies:
Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 10:08am
The decision to give them the world cup was f**king crazy.

You know it's bad when pariah states break off diplomatic and economic ties with ya.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 10:47am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

The decision to give them the world cup was f**king crazy.

You know it's bad when pariah states break off diplomatic and economic ties with ya.
It was bad enough giving them the world cup to start with as CY2K says but everything about it since then just makes it look even worse - allegations of corruption to get the tournament, disruption to several club seasons to get the tournament moved to winter, slave labour and the poor working conditions (which has resulted in several deaths) to get the stadiums built...now this!

Worst thing is I wouldn't be surprised if this latest development still isn't enough of a game-changer to force FIFA into growing a pair and taking the tournament off them? Angry

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 11:00am
Quite simply, they can't.  Or at least not yet.

In terms on contracts, sponsorship etc. the 2018 and 2022 World Cups are tied together.  You can't cancel one without the other.  Far too late to take next years tournament away from Russia as well.

The cynical view is that FIFA will wait until after Russia 2018 to take the 2022 World Cup away from Qatar.  Though frankly I'll be surprised id FIFA had the guts to do that.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

In terms on contracts, sponsorship etc. the 2018 and 2022 World Cups are tied together.  You can't cancel one without the other.  Far too late to take next years tournament away from Russia as well.

The cynical view is that FIFA will wait until after Russia 2018 to take the 2022 World Cup away from Qatar.  Though frankly I'll be surprised id FIFA had the guts to do that.
I have never believed that Qatar will host it and I still don't, it will be moved late in the day to somewhere ready to host it at the drop of a hat.
As ridiculous as giving the tournament to Qatar was, it pales in comparison with Saudi Arabia complaining about them promoting ISIS and stinks of the Saudis covering up their own links.

A poet and I just wasn't aware of it.Embarrassed

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

I have never believed that Qatar will host it and I still don't, it will be moved late in the day to somewhere ready to host it at the drop of a hat.
As ridiculous as giving the tournament to Qatar was, it pales in comparison withaudi Arabia complaining about them promoting ISIS and stinks of the Saudis covering up their own lin Sks.

A poet and I just wasn't aware of it.Embarrassed
Spot on PM Approve

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:31am
Just thinking that the 2018 World Cup could be the last time we see Ronnie (32) and Messi (30) playing at a World Cup.

The top 3 players I've seen are those two and Zidane. All different type of players but all great to watch.

Who do you reckon will be the best player (s) in the world in 5 years time -

Mbappe
Dybala
Neymar
Asensio
Jesus
Lemar

-------------

Posted By: notionsnut
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:32am
jesus

Posted By: Lansdown Roar
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:38am
Originally posted by notionsnut notionsnut wrote:

jesus

-------------
They've only gone and done it

Posted By: cardwizzard
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 1:45pm
Saul

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 1:47pm
Saul

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 1:56pm
I'd say if he doesn't retire again, Messi would prob have one more WC left in him but 2018 defo the last in his prime.

Neymar is probably next in line after Messi and Ronaldo to be the next superstar.

I think he'll take the next WC by storm given he is playing in French League he shouldn't be too exerted  (no offense to Ligue 1 )

Posted By: PanamaHat
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 3:17pm
MBappe!

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 7:15am
The final will be today in 4 years time!

With the World Cup and Xmas drinking, it’s going to be a crazy month.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 8:38am
If it goes ahead in qatar

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: LO SCIENZIATO
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 8:55am

it certainly will. not a hope it will be moved 

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 10:31am
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

it certainly will. not a hope it will be moved 

can't see it being moved myself but you never know. 4 years is a long time in the regions politics.

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 12:49pm
Lots of things I hate about WC2022 but I really think they're missing a beat by not having the final about 10th Jan, imagine a Christmas Schedule of World Cup games, 4 games back to back Christmas Day Clap

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 10:31am
1986 World Cup was take off Colombia in 1985 and given to Mexico so there is a precedent for this.

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 11:13am
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

1986 World Cup was take off Colombia in 1985 and given to Mexico so there is a precedent for this.

Colombia couldn’t afford it - the country was broke.

Qatar are in a completely different boat.

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 11:31am

Taken off them in early 1983. So had 3 years preparation 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Id imagine less red tape as well back then 

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

And a lot more Shenanigans as well. Canada and the US put in separate bids 

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/86-ole-chaotic-story-behind-world-cup-had-everything" rel="nofollow - https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/86-ole-chaotic-story-behind-world-cup-had-everything

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 3:43pm

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/86-ole-chaotic-story-behind-world-cup-had-everything" rel="nofollow - https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/86-ole-chaotic-story-behind-world-cup-had-everything
Never knew Fergie was Scotland manager for WC86

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Never knew Fergie was Scotland manager for WC86
He was Stein's assistant for Scotland when he died in Cardiff, a night that had a huge impact on him.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Colombia couldn’t afford it - the country was broke.

Qatar are in a completely different boat.

Yeah, not suggesting it's going to happen or situation is comparable. Just pointing out it has been switched previously.

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Posted By: bannerboy95
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 3:04pm
Hi lads, recently returned back from a week long visit to Qatar. Visited some of the World Cup stadia, facilities along with the Aspire Academy and meeting with the commercial director of PSG amongst other things. Prior to visiting I was very apprehensive obviously because of what had been purported in the media. Having returned however I can only say I have been blown away from the experience as a whole. Naturally not everything is running smoothly behind the scenes but it is nowhere near as what we are led to believe.

I have written a blog post on the week's events. Attached below is part one. Please feel free to offer feedback I hope it's a good insight as to the country itself and what they have planned in accordance with 2022. Any questions you have please ask, I am only excited to offer any useful insights I may have and elaborate on my experience. Thanks.

https://conorwalsh26.wixsite.com/thelowdown/single-post/2019/01/28/ONE-WEEK-IN-DOHA-%E2%80%93-PART-ONE?fbclid=IwAR1GjIGuRyTAbWaDpI7TpHiHnodHD6qB03JgjgUxDdFJgDs6qcmcu-bU1UI" rel="nofollow - https://conorwalsh26.wixsite.com/thelowdown/single-post/2019/01/28/ONE-WEEK-IN-DOHA-%E2%80%93-PART-ONE?fbclid=IwAR1GjIGuRyTAbWaDpI7TpHiHnodHD6qB03JgjgUxDdFJgDs6qcmcu-bU1UI

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by bannerboy95 bannerboy95 wrote:

Hi lads, recently returned back from a week long visit to Qatar. Visited some of the World Cup stadia, facilities along with the Aspire Academy and meeting with the commercial director of PSG amongst other things. Prior to visiting I was very apprehensive obviously because of what had been purported in the media. Having returned however I can only say I have been blown away from the experience as a whole. Naturally not everything is running smoothly behind the scenes but it is nowhere near as what we are led to believe.

I have written a blog post on the week's events. Attached below is part one. Please feel free to offer feedback I hope it's a good insight as to the country itself and what they have planned in accordance with 2022. Any questions you have please ask, I am only excited to offer any useful insights I may have and elaborate on my experience. Thanks.

https://conorwalsh26.wixsite.com/thelowdown/single-post/2019/01/28/ONE-WEEK-IN-DOHA-%E2%80%93-PART-ONE?fbclid=IwAR1GjIGuRyTAbWaDpI7TpHiHnodHD6qB03JgjgUxDdFJgDs6qcmcu-bU1UI" rel="nofollow - https://conorwalsh26.wixsite.com/thelowdown/single-post/2019/01/28/ONE-WEEK-IN-DOHA-%E2%80%93-PART-ONE?fbclid=IwAR1GjIGuRyTAbWaDpI7TpHiHnodHD6qB03JgjgUxDdFJgDs6qcmcu-bU1UI

I would say the lads building the stadia would have a slightly different view.The ones who are still alive. The dead ones would probably go along with it. They are quite passive about the whole thing.

-------------

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 3:39pm

Find it a bit perverse to be honest, like a propaganda piece.

Fast forward one week and many including yours truly have had our questions answered emphatically

Did they answer your questions about the huge amount of deaths, labour camps and system of bonded labour they utilise to build the stadia? I know you cover it later on but bit worrying to accept it at face value.

The importance of CSR were ascertained.

You can't be serious....

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 3:47pm
Are you Richard Keys?

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Are you Richard Keys?

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 4:37pm
Red or blue pill? 

Posted By: JohnSwift
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 5:43pm

https://conorwalsh26.wixsite.com/thelowdown/single-post/2019/01/28/ONE-WEEK-IN-DOHA-%E2%80%93-PART-ONE?fbclid=IwAR1GjIGuRyTAbWaDpI7TpHiHnodHD6qB03JgjgUxDdFJgDs6qcmcu-bU1UI - https://conorwalsh26.wixsite.com/thelowdown/single-post/2019/01/28/ONE-WEEK-IN-DOHA-%E2%80%93-PART-ONE?fbclid=IwAR1GjIGuRyTAbWaDpI7TpHiHnodHD6qB03JgjgUxDdFJgDs6qcmcu-bU1UI

The Qataris must have brainwashed you over there!

Posted By: craiglen
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:09pm
Oh my god get the boat you soulless immoral pr*ck!

-------------
Fan's game record: 5 Caps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 140 km covered

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:18pm

They could organise the greatest World Cup ever seen and everyone visiting could have a brilliant time. It still doesn't take away from the fact that it is a theocratic, absolute monarchy where people can be flogged for having consensual sex with someone they are not married to, where you can be executed for engaging in homosexual activity or being an apostate from Islam, where if you are a woman who has been raped you can end up in prison for "fornication" and need to have 4 Muslim men to testify that they witnessed the rape to avoid jail, where you can be imprisoned for blasphemy. I'm sure there is plenty I've left out. 

That's before you get onto their use of actual slaves to build their stadiums. You don't address the conditions of the workers or the conditions they live and work in. You devoted one line about the reported death toll among the workers and that was just to state how your hosts told you that the number was grossly exaggerated. I'm sure a bunch of people who have no problem using slave labour wouldn't lie about something like that. 

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:19pm
Auschwitz has a better human rights record than Qatar

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:31pm
Praising the work ethic of the slave drivers, in the first paragraph. Gotcha.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:36pm
Jesus Christ 

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:38pm
Safe to say this isn't the reaction he expected LOL

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Safe to say this isn't the reaction he expected LOL
There is no way he didn't expect some baclash. Not even Jacob Rees-Mogg is that out of touch!

-------------

Posted By: Roberto_Carlow
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:00pm
Anyone found any good routes?

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:09pm
To quote a controversial figure of our own: you can stick your World Cup up your bollocks. 

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: PJIRELAND
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 11:36pm
Ah lads he had to write that. It was the only way to get his passport back. 😂. Incredible 

-------------
YBIG Fantasy Football Champion 2013/2014.

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:16am

Are you Ian Paisley junior 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

LOLLOL

-------------

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:26am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Comical Ali, more like.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:31am
"Fast forward one week and many including yours truly have had our questions answered emphatically. A week dedicated to visiting and inspecting World Cup stadia & facilities which shouted superfluous propaganda was anything but"

This is my favourite part, I'd imagine the Nazi's showed people around Auschtwitz and made it look like Club Tropicana

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:44am
Sweet jesus. 

Posted By: bannerboy95
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:30am
must say I'm only going off what I observed in the week I spent in Qatar. In hindsight I'm just a modern football fan and a student so yes I'm naive and on reflection the post was insensitive. I was writing a second blog detailing the rest of our trip including our visit to Al-Bayt stadium which is still heavily under construction. Upon arrival we were greeted by somewhat 30 workers buses. To say they weren't of high standard was putting it mildly. That aside there was nothing else un ordinary regarding the site. The most off putting thing we witnessed all week crossing the city where one apartment was being constructed on the second floor there was a lack of noticeable scaffolding with several workers on the second floor.

The workers deaths are inexcusable. There have been three on site fatalities so far since construction commenced a few years ago. This issue was raised with the supreme committee. Their response was that this was due to the negligence of contractors early on in the construction stages along with mega ambition to construct 7/8 state of the art stadiums in such a limited time frame. Still no excuse. The issue of recruitment fees was also raised . There have been numerous stories of how workers from India , Nepal , Sri Lanka have left home paying hundreds if not a thousand to work in preparation for 2022. The supreme committee have said this issue has been resolved and any contractor found to be continuing with this form of extortion will be reprimanded. We were told how one of the stadiums was temporarily shut down as a result .

Before our trip we were expected to visit two of the labour camps in question however on arrival this fell through. We did however pass by two , one in Lusail and one to the south of Doha. Driving around the perimeter they weren't exactly the ritz but were not lacking with amenities either. Two of the workers we'd spoken with had described the accommodation as "sufficient" and the other "good". There are plans to regenerate the new suburban areas around lusail and co with new apartment buildings which will be a significant improvement on their current accommodation. In The shopping mall we encountered many workers in their overalls grabbing lunch some with their families. This was very much in contradiction to what many other media outlets have been suggesting.

I was very interested in hearing what they have planned as regards csr as before I was apprehensive given many big European teams and federations see it as a token gesture. However having met several of the people impacted by the programs my mind was swayed . Several of the initiatives we saw such as the workers Cup and the generation amazing programme were impressive. Speaking to a few of the participants they all said they were happy with life in Qatar and  that there has been noticeable improvements since they've begun working. The few I met have families back in India and Pakistan and said the negatives was being so far away from home but the money they could repatriate home made it somewhat worth it. The Josoor Institute who head up the CSR operations contribute huge sums and resources to the development of third world countries in Africa and Asia along with giving many the chance to a first class education which they would not receive otherwise. In the local community they do extensive work with the disadvantaged and have made significant strides in the women's game.

Once again I'm only discussing what I observed . Apologies for the insensitivity, I'm just going by the access and insight which we received over there. Obviously there is a lot of non football related stuff happening at the moment contributing such as the blockade , the Qatari departure from OPEC and the recent news regarding their commitment to investing in the German economy. So it's obviously impossible to paint a true picture as to what is happening behind the scenes. Things are nowhere near perfect over in Qatar but they are far better than what I expected. My post meant to serve as just my own experience in Qatar, those with better access and knowledge would probably hold a different judgement to my own. There's a lot they have yet to do but having talked with several of the workers and people involved they are taking action and heading in the right direction. I think it has all the makings of being a great tournament with out of this world stadiums and facilities but yes this shouldn't be at the expense of the workers involved. I was very cynical of what was unfolding prior to our trip now just less so.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:35am
You're really not making things any better for yourself

-------------

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:53am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

They could organise the greatest World Cup ever seen and everyone visiting could have a brilliant time. It still doesn't take away from the fact that it is a theocratic, absolute monarchy where people can be flogged for having consensual sex with someone they are not married to, where you can be executed for engaging in homosexual activity or being an apostate from Islam, where if you are a woman who has been raped you can end up in prison for "fornication" and need to have 4 Muslim men to testify that they witnessed the rape to avoid jail, where you can be imprisoned for blasphemy. I'm sure there is plenty I've left out. 

That's before you get onto their use of actual slaves to build their stadiums. You don't address the conditions of the workers or the conditions they live and work in. You devoted one line about the reported death toll among the workers and that was just to state how your hosts told you that the number was grossly exaggerated. I'm sure a bunch of people who have no problem using slave labour wouldn't lie about something like that. 
So is that a yes that you’ll be going over LOL

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Anyone found any good routes?

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 10:11am

what about attempting to finger the box off a fellow YBIG'er Mrs? Can you be flogged for that? 

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 10:57am
I never knew Eva Bartlett posted here.

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:08am

"Fast forward one week and many including yours truly have had our questions answered emphatically. A week dedicated to visiting and inspecting World Cup stadia & facilities which shouted superfluous propaganda was anything but"

This is my favourite part, I'd imagine the Nazi's showed people around Auschtwitz and made it look like Club Tropicana

They did, good book on similar - travelers of the third reich 

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:15am

I struggled to read it yesterday, not because of the content but because I thought it was poorly written, but I have since reread it and it is an excellent parody piece. I recommend reading it in the key of Partridge.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:36am

I struggled to read it yesterday, not because of the content but because I thought it was poorly written, but I have since reread it and it is an excellent parody piece. I recommend reading it in the key of Partridge.

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:46am

LOL

I'm now thinking instead of saying AHA Alan Partridge screaming QATAR!!!

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:52am

LOL

LOLClap

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:05pm

LOL

LOL

Knowing me Alan Partridge, knowing you QATAR!

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 9:04am
not a hope in hell i am going to this or even watching a single game on the telly , 
f**k these guys 

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 9:37am
So if Ireland qualify, you won't even watch a game on the telly?

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 9:50am
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

No. I won't either and I hope we don't qualify. I'd rather Ireland had nothing to do with this competition. 

-------------

Posted By: ColemanKillybegs123
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 10:10am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

No. I won't either and I hope we don't qualify. I'd rather Ireland had nothing to do with this competition. 

You'd rather Ireland didn't qualify for a world cup??? 

Why do you even have an account on this website then???

-------------
We're on the one road!

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 11:08am
Originally posted by ColemanKillybegs123 ColemanKillybegs123 wrote:

Each to their own, not everyone is happy clappy. People have different moral and ethical standards.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: ColemanKillybegs123
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Each to their own, not everyone is happy clappy. People have different moral and ethical standards.
But everyone here is here to support their country on the football field??

-------------
We're on the one road!

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 11:47am
Not if that football field has been built on the blood of innocent men and women. I would much rather we took the moral high ground (imagine the FAI taking the moral high- groundLOL) and didn't enter. Entering the qualifying competition is accepting the crimes that are happening as a result of it being given to Qatar. That is far bigger than football.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 1:02pm

Of course we are but there has to be a limit to that. It's an extreme example but it is the same logic. Would you want Ireland to qualify and play in a tournament where the hosts explicitly stated that they wouldn't allow black people or women to attend? Using your logic, you might think it's terrible but you're just there to support the team on the pitch. Would you genuinely attend such a tournament? 

I wouldn't go as far as the lads, I'll still go the qualifying games but I would want (I know there is no a hope in hell of it happening) that if we qualified the FAI stated they were boycotting the tournament. There is not a fear of me going to Qatar if we qualify. 

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 1:07pm

Once we enter the qualification stages we already have do have something to do with it. I do gert where your coming from though, in an ideal world, all the top countries would boycott it and the qualification stages, but that's never happening. That being said if we did qualify I would certainly watch it and probably travel over, but i understand people's reasons for not travelling. I find it very hard to believe Ireland fans will stay at home and not even switch on there telly to watch the match, what would anybody be gaining from that? The chance to be self righteous? To each their own.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 1:08pm
Whilst I agree somewhat, by the same logic you couldn't travel to the vast majority of countries on earth for one reason or another.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 1:11pm

Whilst I agree somewhat, by the same logic you couldn't travel to the vast majority of countries on earth for one reason or another.

That is true and we are all hypocrites to a degree but a line has to be, for most people, drawn somewhere.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 1:29pm
It's a tricky one. If there was a widespread boycott, it would make sense to take part in the boycott. For instance, if it was the case that the FAI got 10,000 tickets to each Ireland game in Qatar and there were only 3,000 applications for each one, it would actually mean something not to apply. However, if there were 30,000 applications for each one, and you go to every game generally, then it starts to make a lot less sense not to apply, if it isn't going to make any difference to Qatar. I'm not saying it makes no sense, but it makes a lot less sense. Obviously, then it makes sense from a personal perspective, but if a boycott has no impact on the person being boycotted, it becomes a fairly empty gesture. Boycotts work when they have an effect; a boycott like that would have no effect on Qatar, much as it might make you feel better. It's a matter of numbers.

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 1:54pm
Question
For those who are not going to travel to Qatar would you still want to attend the qualifies home and away and knowing full well that you will not go to the World Cup ?

As for myself I " was " in the same boat as most on here , now I am kind of drawn between it now as I know I don't know how many more World Cups I can attend in my life time so would I turn it down is a very good question for myself and I am honest when I say I really don't know .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Question
For those who are not going to travel to Qatar would you still want to attend the qualifies home and away and knowing full well that you will not go to the World Cup ?

As for myself I " was " in the same boat as most on here , now I am kind of drawn between it now as I know I don't know how many more World Cups I can attend in my life time so would I turn it down is a very good question for myself and I am honest when I say I really don't know .
I've attended tons of our qualifiers with absolutely no intention of travelling to the tournament should be qualify. 

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 2:02pm
It has nothing to do with "being self-righteous". I just don't want anything to do with it and I'm really disappointed our national team will play a part. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 2:09pm

And I could understand that position. I do think this example is unique and almost incomparable. For example, I wouldn't even consider going to Israel and have taken a dim view of musical artists that I enjoy going there to perform, but Nick Cave's recent defence of why he should perform there has changed my mind a little bit. You can take any nation where you find their  views abhorrent and be uncomfortable visiting, whatever your point of view, and you can probably find a decent argument for still going, even if it is only to understand the situation on the ground or because the whole population doesn't deserve to suffer for their elected (or most likely not elected) government. I know myself that my own interest in wanting to visit North Korea is hypocritical with never even considering Israel or Australia.

As football has become more and more entwined with globalisation, we have seen several major 'clubs' been taken over by families, regimes and individuals that are trying to associate themselves with PSG, Manchester City and Chelsea first and disgusting behaviour second. I struggle to understand how fans of these teams are ok with that, I am not saying it makes them complicit in these crimes, or anything like that, but I struggle with the thought process. I couldn't do it, but I understand the difficulty in walking away from a major part of your life.
With Qatar, I think it is entirely unacceptable for football fans, many of whom are the type of simpletons who bleat on about keeping sports and politics separate, while their game, or what was their game, once, is being completely politicised to prop up a regime that wants to launder its reputation using the World Cup. The World Cup! On top of this, watching the games, even on television, does make you complicit. Whatever you think about the owners at certain 'clubs', the stadia they use, the facilities they use and even why football is played in them, isn't immoral. Whatever about the sponsorship used or the money used to acquire them, in cases, football would have been played in them and they were built in countries with respected labour laws. This is not the case in Qatar.

You could argue, that Brazil, Russia and South Africa were not exactly bastions of health and safety and each had their own problems that meant the tournament shouldn't have been held there, certainly not in the way FIFA go about it,but the problems there are not as deep rooted as in Qatar. Sure, Brazil and South Africa couldn't afford it and have received little benefit apart from white elephant stadia, and Russia was only looking to launder its reputation on a different way, but stacked up against the myriad of problems with Qatar it all seems trivial. As does questioning who pays Manchester City's wage bill. 
People are dying in huge numbers, we can only estimate how many, because of football. One expert's view, that I came across the other day, I believe he was a Norwegian Trade Union leader who has been working with Amnesty International on the situation there, said if there was a minute's silence for each worker who has dies, over two-thirds  of the tournament would be played in silence. 
That is before we get into the slavery, near slavery, low wages, delays in wages in one of the world's richest states. All because of football. 
If you are human and a football fan, you should want f**k all to do with. It is sickening that these people's lives have a price, and all it is is a Coca-Cola and Gary Lineker.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 2:10pm

It has nothing to do with "being self-righteous". I just don't want anything to do with it and I'm really disappointed our national team will play a part. 

As a matter of interest did you hold the Russia WC in the same regard ? 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 2:16pm

Of course we are but there has to be a limit to that. It's an extreme example but it is the same logic. Would you want Ireland to qualify and play in a tournament where the hosts explicitly stated that they wouldn't allow black people or women to attend? Using your logic, you might think it's terrible but you're just there to support the team on the pitch. Would you genuinely attend such a tournament? 

I wouldn't go as far as the lads, I'll still go the qualifying games but I would want (I know there is no a hope in hell of it happening) that if we qualified the FAI stated they were boycotting the tournament. There is not a fear of me going to Qatar if we qualify. 
They won’t let black people or women attend ? Jaysus every international team has players of that skin tone or women as part of the set up, can you bang up that article, sounds fckin mad

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 2:23pm
I love the rebels on here, I won’t go because of yada yada yada, I bet me bottom dollar these self righteous souls have been to Germany , Poland , Montenegro , Serbia, Russia and so on , and had no fckin hang up about any of them

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

I love the rebels on here, I won’t go because of yada yada yada, I bet me bottom dollar these self righteous souls have been to Germany , Poland , Montenegro , Serbia, Russia and so on , and had no fckin hang up about any of them
What's wrong with Germany?

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 2:36pm
All this talk of Qatar

It be going unnoticed that they are currently winning 2-0 in the Asian Cup final.

I wonder how

Image result for money gif

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 2:38pm

And I could understand that position. I do think this example is unique and almost incomparable. For example, I wouldn't even consider going to Israel and have taken a dim view of musical artists that I enjoy going there to perform, but Nick Cave's recent defence of why he should perform there has changed my mind a little bit. You can take any nation where you find their  views abhorrent and be uncomfortable visiting, whatever your point of view, and you can probably find a decent argument for still going, even if it is only to understand the situation on the ground or because the whole population doesn't deserve to suffer for their elected (or most likely not elected) government. I know myself that my own interest in wanting to visit North Korea is hypocritical with never even considering Israel or Australia.

As football has become more and more entwined with globalisation, we have seen several major 'clubs' been taken over by families, regimes and individuals that are trying to associate themselves with PSG, Manchester City and Chelsea first and disgusting behaviour second. I struggle to understand how fans of these teams are ok with that, I am not saying it makes them complicit in these crimes, or anything like that, but I struggle with the thought process. I couldn't do it, but I understand the difficulty in walking away from a major part of your life.
With Qatar, I think it is entirely unacceptable for football fans, many of whom are the type of simpletons who bleat on about keeping sports and politics separate, while their game, or what was their game, once, is being completely politicised to prop up a regime that wants to launder its reputation using the World Cup. The World Cup! On top of this, watching the games, even on television, does make you complicit. Whatever you think about the owners at certain 'clubs', the stadia they use, the facilities they use and even why football is played in them, isn't immoral. Whatever about the sponsorship used or the money used to acquire them, in cases, football would have been played in them and they were built in countries with respected labour laws. This is not the case in Qatar.

You could argue, that Brazil, Russia and South Africa were not exactly bastions of health and safety and each had their own problems that meant the tournament shouldn't have been held there, certainly not in the way FIFA go about it,but the problems there are not as deep rooted as in Qatar. Sure, Brazil and South Africa couldn't afford it and have received little benefit apart from white elephant stadia, and Russia was only looking to launder its reputation on a different way, but stacked up against the myriad of problems with Qatar it all seems trivial. As does questioning who pays Manchester City's wage bill. 
People are dying in huge numbers, we can only estimate how many, because of football. One expert's view, that I came across the other day, I believe he was a Norwegian Trade Union leader who has been working with Amnesty International on the situation there, said if there was a minute's silence for each worker who has dies, over two-thirds  of the tournament would be played in silence. 
That is before we get into the slavery, near slavery, low wages, delays in wages in one of the world's richest states. All because of football. 
If you are human and a football fan, you should want f**k all to do with. It is sickening that these people's lives have a price, and all it is is a Coca-Cola and Gary Lineker.

All fair points and well put. For me, it's trickier as I have a huge link to China, could make the argument I shouldn't go again due to what's going on in Xinjiang but in all honesty, I will be back, the people on the ground don't even know what's going on.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 2:45pm

All fair points and well put. For me, it's trickier as I have a huge link to China, could make the argument I shouldn't go again due to what's going on in Xinjiang but in all honesty, I will be back, the people on the ground don't even know what's going on.

But the simplified argument is that you going to China does not make you complicit in any wrongdoing by the Chinese state. I don't think you can compare the two. You can compare whether you would go to Qatar now, for work/business/pleasure to going to China for same. It is the act of going during or around the World Cup or using facilities built for the tournament that are morally reprehensible.

This isn't just about Qatar itself, it is about how the sport of football is responsible for death and slavery. That is why this is different to anywhere mentioned, including, bizarrely, Germany and Poland!

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 2:46pm
Good point, well put.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 3:07pm
If a person's reason for not attending a World Cup is due to low wages/conditions/deaths to workers then I can tell you don’t bother going to any football stadiums Worldwide. Resultantly, your morals would not have allowed you to attend the World Cups in USA 94(Mexican and Central American workers), South Korea/ Japan in 2002( Indian and Philippian workers), South Africa in 2010 ( local and other African workers), Brazil in 2014( local and other South American workers) and Russia in 2018 (Indian and Nepalese workers )  Deaths in construction/exploitation of workers happens in all developed and non-developed countries, Qatar is no different.  
I have visited the Port of Dalian in China where most of Australia’s iron ore is sent. Steel is made there and shipped to Ireland, UK, Europe to build stadiums/Infrastructure etc. There is one camp just outside Dalian with over 20k people in it similar to what is in Qatar. Will this stop you from attending games/ using infrastructure in Ireland, UK and Europe because of the deaths that have happened in the process of the production of the material? Like f**k it will! 

Too many Free Kony warriors on this thread! 

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

If a person's reason for not attending a World Cup is due to low wages/conditions/deaths to workers then I can tell you don’t bother going to any football stadiums Worldwide. Resultantly, your morals would not have allowed you to attend the World Cups in USA 94(Mexican and Central American workers), South Korea/ Japan in 2002( Indian and Philippian workers), South Africa in 2010 ( local and other African workers), Brazil in 2014( local and other South American workers) and Russia in 2018 (Indian and Nepalese workers )  Deaths in construction/exploitation of workers happens in all developed and non-developed countries, Qatar is no different.  
I have visited the Port of Dalian in China where most of Australia’s iron ore is sent. Steel is made there and shipped to Ireland, UK, Europe to build stadiums/Infrastructure etc. There is one camp just outside Dalian with over 20k people in it similar to what is in Qatar. Will this stop you from attending games/ using infrastructure in Ireland, UK and Europe because of the deaths that have happened in the process of the production of the material? Like f**k it will! 

Too many Free Kony warriors on this thread! 

Did those people die as a direct result of football? That is the main difference here. Personally, I don't import iron ore so don't feel guilt, nor am I connected to health and safety on building sites in any other country. You are right that there was neglect in all previous tournaments and deaths, but this is the first time, that I can  remember, that the decision of a sporting body was the direct reason for death and slavery. All the others are indirect. That doesn't make their lives worth any less, but it removes the complicity attending and watching. It cannot be ignored.

-------------

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 3:57pm

Allow me to issue a collective wholehearted congratulations to Qatar on winning the Asian Cup on behalf of YBIG Clap

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 4:26pm

In my opinion the best way to respond to the problems of Qatar is Broncho Stop.........

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 4:27pm

They won’t let black people or women attend ? Jaysus every international team has players of that skin tone or women as part of the set up, can you bang up that article, sounds fckin mad

I didn't say that women or black people wouldn't be allowed attend. I was asking the question that if there was a tournament that had such rules, if ColemanKillybegs would attend it. 

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 4:37pm

Genuinely yes.

-------------

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 9:02pm

All the same lads who wear Man Utd jerseys made by slave labour in Pakistan.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 9:10pm

Genuinely yes.

So you didn’t watch a single game at the World Cup? 

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 11:55pm
Correct 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 10:17am

I didn't say that women or black people wouldn't be allowed attend. I was asking the question that if there was a tournament that had such rules, if ColemanKillybegs would attend it. 
Took you up wrong so chief, my apologies Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:01pm
No bother

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 4:10pm
The EU and Qatar concluded talks on an open skies agreement.

http://www.ft.com/content/c4c774c0-295c-11e9-a5ab-ff8ef2b976c7" rel="nofollow - http://www.ft.com/content/c4c774c0-295c-11e9-a5ab-ff8ef2b976c7

Good news for those planning on travelling to the WC in 2022. Wizz Air already fly to Dubai. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see them add Doha as a destination.

Josh Spero

14 minutes ago

The EU and Qatar have announced they have signed an “open skies” agreement which gives all airlines from both partners “unlimited and unrestricted access” to each other.The Comprehensive Air Transport Agreement is the first between the EU and a Gulf Co-operation Council state, and comes as Qatar is still experiencing a blockade by its neighbours.Qatar Airways chief executive Akbar Al Baker said the agreement would allow “fair competition” and added: “Our hope is that the success of these negotiations will encourage other trading blocs and significant aviation markets to join in achieving a liberalised global aviation regime for future generations.”

In the agreement, the EU and Qatar agreed to articles on competition, the environment, consumer protection and transparency.Henrik Hololei, the European Commission’s director of general mobility and transport, said: “We are very pleased to have concluded our negotiations with the State of Qatar here in Doha today. Thanks to the strong commitment of all parties, we have managed to reconcile our differences and found common ground through honest engagement and open dialogue.”

-------------

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 3:44am
FIFA study backed expanding tournament to 48 teams. Meeting on Friday and then final decision in June. 

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:39pm
Deutschland the 1st team to qualify. 13 months in advance

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:50pm

Deutschland the 1st team to qualify. 13 months in advance

Mad how it was all doom and gloom for them at start of campaign after they lost to Macedonia.

But rest of the group really played into their hands then with other teams dropping points.

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 10:03pm
couple of groups willl go to the wire. 90+9 minute penalty for the Turks kept them in with a shout. They should win there last two games which will put them into a good spot for 2nd - without the penalty they’d been almost done.

Playoff seeding very very tight.

Edit: more than a couple - November 14th could be a classic qualification night.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net